Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2009 11:37 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was so sad!! And it was all Guy's fault too! In the process of trying to free Rikki from Iason he ended up killing him! and Iason too! AND /HE/ LIVED! What's up with that??
I want your soul... so please, click.
Jun 24, 2009 6:15 AM

Feb 2009
omg omg omg omg omg OMG OMG OMG OH MY HOLY FUCKING GOOOOOD OoO thats not the end is it???? it cant be !!!!!! it shouldnt!!!!!!! WTH stupid ai no kusabi creators i realy realy REALY HATE THEM >o<
Oct 24, 2009 11:40 AM

Sep 2009
That was sooooo sad. OMG. That ending killed me.
Mar 19, 2010 1:19 AM
Sep 2008
It was literally the only ending that could have been done which was believable, given the character's personalities and the social situation.

If they had tried to make it a high-fructose, cheerful ending, the entire anime would've been ruined.

Consider my heartstrings tugged.

... *sniffle*
Apr 22, 2010 2:19 PM

Dec 2007
The best yaoi or the best yaoi? And with a beautiful character design bonus.
Now I can't wait for the 13-episode series.
Jul 2, 2010 11:50 AM

Dec 2008
OMG!! That ending was SO not fair!! If anyone should have died, it should have been Guy!! I guess Riki really did love Iason to go back and die with him. So sad!!

And...did Guy have to cut off Riki's penis to get the pet ring off? That bastard!!!
Sep 29, 2010 5:15 PM

May 2010
Liirin said:
It was literally the only ending that could have been done which was believable, given the character's personalities and the social situation.

If they had tried to make it a high-fructose, cheerful ending, the entire anime would've been ruined.

This is very true. But still...I am hopelessly sad now. I wish there had been a way for Iason and Riki to be together...
Oct 13, 2010 6:43 PM

Aug 2010
I love the gritty feel of this sci-fi. I love the sexy guys, And I love the incredibly sad ending!!! I feel depressed every time it ends, but I agree that it had to end like this. Absolutely fabulous. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE 2010 VERSION!!!! I'm so excited! Has anyone seen it?
Oct 13, 2010 7:01 PM

May 2010
hubbabubbagrrrl said:
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE 2010 VERSION!!!! I'm so excited! Has anyone seen it?

It hasn't aired yet as far as I know. I hope it comes out soon, though.
Dec 5, 2010 6:13 AM
Nov 2010
Wow. I really wish I'd watched anime before I'd opened this thread. *sigh*
Dec 5, 2010 4:40 PM

May 2010
SooNovi said:
Wow. I really wish I'd watched anime before I'd opened this thread. *sigh*

Why did you look here?! Oh you poor fool! :p
Mar 2, 2011 11:32 AM

Aug 2008
Fierstly I thinked that Guy isn't bad, but now... I hate this ending! Why they can't be together? Why they're dead? But... Riki knew that he loved him... On the end... I think... And they were killed together.
Sad..
May 3, 2011 10:27 PM

Oct 2010
i didn't know what was he way the ring was taken off... is it really cut off???
May 27, 2011 3:55 PM
May 2011
otakuhime said:
i didn't know what was he way the ring was taken off... is it really cut off???

Very much so I'm afraid, evidenced by Katze's pure fury and Iason's realisation seeing the ring.

I'm not usually keen on seeing sad endings, but I would consider this more bitter sweet (with Riki finally returning Iason's feeling in the face of death - waah). I already had the sniffles when Katze started grieving. :<

All in all, very much worth the watch despite the waterworks.
Aug 21, 2011 2:31 PM

Dec 2009
This is one of the best yaoi animes I've seen.
Just like the first review featured in the Ai no Kusabi page says, at first I was expecting just another typical yaoi, but I got so much more. It was intense, and I loved it.
Feb 11, 2012 5:56 PM

Apr 2008
This is my first time watching yaoi and I have to say this is a good love story, I love sad endings and this ending was done well. I went to tears when I saw Katze sobbing at the end :(
I think the sad ending was the only way for Rikki realizes his love for Iason, so sad.

I think I'll watch the remake once it's done and I hope they will explain lots of stuff in the remake that the ova left out, I kinda got lost and didn't understand the system of the world the setting was in lol.
Mar 17, 2012 12:18 PM

Nov 2011
This was so sad, I really started to sob a bit as well when Katze started to get teary... poor Iason and Riki, finally together and then they die...
Jun 6, 2012 6:26 AM
Apr 2011
I cried, my eyes are all red, why all good things always turn out like this , hixhix, T_T
Every boyfriend is "the one",
Until otherwise proven.
The good are never easy,
The easy never good,
And love it never happens,
Like you think it really should
Jun 22, 2012 7:00 AM

Dec 2011
Once I saw Ai no Kusabi no other yaoi is good enough for me... I wish they'd make more stuff like this one. I totally fell in love with the story, characters, music and the beautiful, realistic animation which style I totally adore (maybe because it's not made using computer programme).
"(...)who the hell is going to save me? he thought.
as the knife stopped spinning
the answer came:
you're going to have to
save yourself (...)"
- Charles Bukowski "Question and answer"

Forgive me my English, I'm trying my best.
Jul 7, 2012 5:19 PM

Nov 2011
Liirin said:

Consider my heartstrings tugged.

... *sniffle*

Yup....AND IT'S SO SAD buuhuuhuu :'(((((
Sep 20, 2013 4:41 AM
Jul 2018
Great ending! Terribly sad though. :(
Jan 13, 2015 12:01 PM

Jul 2012
Fuck.

Omg..

FUCK

YET AGAIN, ANOTHER REALLY GOOD YAOI ANIME

NO FULL ADAPTION

WHY?

IUGSF[SAKDASLDKSALKDSLAKDA

2012 vs this one, they're both good to me, yea
Jul 27, 2016 1:50 PM

Aug 2010
(watched this older OVA after watching the newer 2012 OVA)

OMGGGGG WHAT THE HECK DID I JUST WATCH DFKLMADLFMA"F

my mouth was literally gaped open since they showed iason's legs all the way to the end i was just like in disbelief the whole time even now!!!!

WHY OMG WHY DO THEY HAVE TO DIE I WASNT PREPARED FOR THIS SHIT OMG WHAT IS THIS UNFORESEEN TRAGEDY TT________TT

One of my first BL anime/OVA and it has such a tragic ending...?! TT______TT Although all my sadness aside, I've really enjoyed this series. It has much more depth than just the sex, there is that intensity and depth that is rare in a romance story be it yaoi or not.

This is such an intense and beautiful story (albeit tragic) i'm gonna need some recs for such similar BL series!!! These bittersweet tears i'm having though TT______TT

Edit: omg I had no idea this was considered a "yaoi anime classic" :O as a long-time anime viewer but newbie yaoi viewer, I can easily see why TT____TT
blue-yJul 27, 2016 2:15 PM
Jan 1, 2018 4:01 AM
Aug 2016
It's been over 10 years since I watched it. Couldn't remember the ending. Maybe that was for the better?

Well, I hope Guy's happy now with what he did. He didn't even seem to be grieving that much about Riki. Really goes to show his feelings huh...
Jun 23, 2019 7:18 PM

Jun 2019
The story is fucked up beyond words but if you get past the rape and slaves, it's an enjoyable watch. The soundtrack, atmosphere and colors are the best part of this. There's also the gay sex scenes.
Apr 26, 2020 7:55 PM

Mar 2012
AkiKitazawa said:
It's been over 10 years since I watched it. Couldn't remember the ending. Maybe that was for the better?

Well, I hope Guy's happy now with what he did. He didn't even seem to be grieving that much about Riki. Really goes to show his feelings huh...
He was grieving but after what he had done, what more could he do or say? Had that rescue happened 3 years before, Riki would have been grateful and happy about getting that ring off no matter what. But time is a terrible thing and Riki changed a lot in 3 years. Guy no longer knew nor understood Riki and lost him for good to someone else forever due to his own actions. Guy has to live with that.
Dec 18, 2020 10:20 AM

Sep 2014
I'm still sad about this lmao
Feb 24, 2021 1:52 AM
Aug 2020
damn.. I really didn't expect it to end like this so sad man ;_____; watching Iason sitting there waiting for his fate :(

Guy that bitch!!! I liked him at the beginning, I mean I understand he wanted to save Riki but at what cost huh!!!!! >:(

that scene where they were lighting up their cigarettes' together ahhhhh broke my heart and also katze crying at the end :'))))))

this is the first time that i actually enjoy a story in a yaoi! I watched this version after watching the 2012 one so I was shocked by the events since they barley explained anything in the later version

ann_sordoFeb 24, 2021 1:57 AM
Feb 25, 2021 9:26 AM

Nov 2015
touchy touchy, action scene, touchy touchy, action scene... director guy for this might have wonder where to shove all the sex scenes into this mildly interesting plot heh.
the anime producers decided to commit the audacity of assuming hell yeah audience know the manga in its totality D: repugnancy. heard the 2012 adaptation didn't do any good either.

šŸ’¢

Feb 26, 2021 7:12 PM

Jan 2021
I thought this anime was a dream. It's real. And wtf is up with the ending.
Oct 19, 2021 12:19 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
What a snorefest of an anime. I don't understand the praise it's getting in here and in reviews. The only highlight is Kaneto Shiozawa's performance as Iason.

4/10
Mar 27, 8:39 AM

Jun 2008
Eh. Wasn't expecting the tragic ending. I need a minute to elaborate. *gloom*

Wanted some sexy guys with a rather interesting sci-fi story and I was not disappointed, but hell it got dramatic.
Slavery, mutilation, toxic relationships - if you can handle that it's a very solid yaoi anime, or even the best one.
The character design & animation are gorgeous. Riki & Katze DAYUM āš£

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ai no Kusabi Episode 1 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Jun 24, 2010

3 by PxHC »»
Jun 24, 2023 12:18 PM

» Intense.

25letters - Apr 27, 2007

6 by MaxCrazy7 »»
Mar 29, 2009 11:34 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.