Forum Settings
Forums

What was your first anime, and who introduced you?

New
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Jan 2014
First anime: Dragon Ball Kai (However, it was the censored Nicktoons version.)

First Anime For Real This Time: Bleach

Just one night I thought; "Hey, those Japanese anime shows look kinda cool. I think I'll go and watch one. Hmm, which to choose? I think Bleach is one of the popular ones, so I'll start there." I proceeded to watch anime for the rest of my life.
*Woosh* Sparklesparkle*
Feb 6, 2014 2:19 PM

Apr 2012
MesuRaion said:
This is a question I've been meaning to ask because I recently found some of my old DVDs and re-discovered some animes I used to love, and guess what. (Story time) my parents made me an otaku
It was decided from the moment I was born. It was written upon my birth certificate: This girl shall one day cry many tears and squel many squels over japanese cartoons. ...Okay, not literally, but they did set me up. I got a pikachu doll before I was even one year old and my mom gave me my first anime when I was seven; Saint Tails. Then introduced me to Inuyasha when I was about nine. Then I found Yu-gi-oh, and she watched her budding otaku fly off into the sunset. Alright, story-time's over, back to the question.
What was your first anime, and who introduced you? For me, Saint Tails, and my mom.
holy shit.

My friends in high school introduced me to manga.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Feb 6, 2014 6:02 PM
Sep 2011
The first anime I watched knowing it was anime was Akira. How I got introduced to it was from a "stuffer" that came with a VHS copy of Heavy Metal that I got from Columbia Video Club for what was then called "Japanamation". The only title I could find any additional info on was Akira (got a 3 star rating from Leonard Maltin) so I ordered it-the only VHS anime I ever owned. I just got the FUNimation BD/DVD set for it.
Feb 6, 2014 6:59 PM

May 2013
Besides the TV which intoduced most people to anime in their childhood, my first serious venture into anime was from youtube and other forums- I was going to watch Full Moon wo Sagashite but tried Clannad instead (which I loved!) and the rest is history.
Feb 6, 2014 7:04 PM

Dec 2012
My first anime was Oni Chichi, sponsored and introduced to me by my penis.
Feb 6, 2014 7:28 PM

Jun 2013
bunny_lover said:
MesuRaion said:
This is a question I've been meaning to ask because I recently found some of my old DVDs and re-discovered some animes I used to love, and guess what. (Story time) my parents made me an otaku
It was decided from the moment I was born. It was written upon my birth certificate: This girl shall one day cry many tears and squel many squels over japanese cartoons. ...Okay, not literally, but they did set me up. I got a pikachu doll before I was even one year old and my mom gave me my first anime when I was seven; Saint Tails. Then introduced me to Inuyasha when I was about nine. Then I found Yu-gi-oh, and she watched her budding otaku fly off into the sunset. Alright, story-time's over, back to the question.
What was your first anime, and who introduced you? For me, Saint Tails, and my mom.
holy shit.

My friends in high school introduced me to manga.
Same thing happened with me but in Junior High. My friend asked me if I liked anime, I didn't really know how to respond because at the time I didn't really know what the term meant until I saw this Kingdom Hearts Manga he showed me. Then after reading a little bit of that, I was instantly hooked on both Anime and Manga. Though I have been watching anime since the early 90s like DBZ and Pokémon. I started watching Naruto in like 2007 whenever it used to come on Toonami. At that time though I didn't know it came from Japan, or that it was even anime. But thanks to that good friend of mine, I have see well over 100 different anime already, or at least close to it.
Feb 6, 2014 7:46 PM

Jan 2014
The internet introduced me to Cowboy Bebop. I was bored and everyone said that it was an amazing show, so I checked it out...

and goddamn were they right.
Feb 6, 2014 7:49 PM

Nov 2011
My first animu was Saint Seiya and the TV introduced me to it
I luv u
Feb 6, 2014 7:50 PM
Oct 2013
My first anime was Hotaru no Haka.
Feb 6, 2014 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
Sailor Moon, used to watch it with my sister
Feb 6, 2014 8:35 PM

Aug 2013
Parents bought me My Neighbor Totoro on VHS when I was in diapers. I grew up with it being my absolute favorite movie and I would watch it multiple times a day when I was a wee lad. So not to sound blase about it but I've been an anime fan since I was in diapers lol.
Feb 6, 2014 8:42 PM

Aug 2013
I'm going to exclude series like Pokemon, Digimon, etc, because I didn't at the time know that it was anime.

My class was going on a camping trip to some random forest with a large pond when I was like 12 or something? Anyway, we had set up our tents and one of my friends had brought tons of mangas for us to read, and at the time I had never read a manga in my life. That's when I first discovered Ranma 1/2, and I ended up spending most of the trip inside our tent reading, instead of doing the activities the school had planned. It was great. Him bringing mangas to school trips became sort of a tradition after that.

It wasn't my introduction to anime, but it was my first to manga, which in turn made me look up the Ranma 1/2 anime.
MoogFeb 6, 2014 8:45 PM
Feb 6, 2014 11:20 PM

Aug 2013
My first anime was fushigi yuugi and i started watching it when it aired on AXN. It was on cable and it was AXN asia so there were no subs but i watched the entire show in japanese anyway. It used to air at 5 in the morning and i would watch it before going to school. My mom used to give me a earful about it everyday!
"When you walk in a dream but you know you're not dreaming Signore
Scuzza me, but you see, back in old Napoli that's amore"

Feb 8, 2014 6:02 PM

Apr 2011
ShiroNeko89 said:
My first anime was fushigi yuugi and i started watching it when it aired on AXN. It was on cable and it was AXN asia so there were no subs but i watched the entire show in japanese anyway. It used to air at 5 in the morning and i would watch it before going to school. My mom used to give me a earful about it everyday!

must be weird for her child to watch chinese cartoon lol
Feb 8, 2014 8:25 PM

Jan 2014
Can't remember, probably Dragon Ball, local TV introduced it to me and my cousin, and it was awesome.
Feb 8, 2014 8:35 PM

Dec 2008
The first I saw was Dragon Ball but the anime who makes me become an otaku was Lucky Star and was thanks to my big brother, he don't watched the anime but he was using in a forum a Konata gif as avatar and other konata gif as signature he don't know the anime name and I started to see what's that anime name so after a couple of days searching on YouTube I got the name I started to see it and from that day I become an otaku and I don' regret of this xD.
Feb 8, 2014 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
When I was a kid I really liked Detective Conan, it was one of my first animes. On computer, some of lupin the third, cowboy bebop movies and tenjou tenge on dvds took them from my brother.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Feb 8, 2014 9:37 PM

Sep 2012
The anime that got me into anime was soul eater. A random girl at a party told me to watch it so I gave it a go and now I'm here ^-^
Feb 8, 2014 9:55 PM

Jan 2014
Hanaukyou Maid-tai, not counting free TV stuff.

Teenager me introduced me to it discovering the art watching online streams, for teenager reasons.
Feb 8, 2014 10:09 PM

Feb 2013
My neighbor showed me anime all the time, even though I showed no interest in it (I guess he really wanted to talk about it).

He ended up showing me Trigun, and I watched the whole series on my own the next two days. Right after, I re-watched it then stopped watching anime for a year. I thought that "Trigun must be one in a million~"
Feb 8, 2014 11:42 PM

Feb 2014
Pokemon, Dragonball Z. Good ol' Toonami days.
Saturday mornings introduced me to Pokemon and after school introduced me to DBZ.
Feb 9, 2014 12:02 AM

Dec 2012
I introduced myself Via the television, by watching Iria, Robotech, Green Legend Ran, Akira, and such in the mid-90s. Not sure which one was first. Although, DBZ is made me want to actively seek out other anime titles to watch, before that I was just a casual fan.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 9, 2014 5:30 AM

Jan 2014
NGE in 1999, using IRC. Mind, blown

Self-motivated from childhood encounters reading Dragon Ball translated in korean. Neighbors had every volume up to date at the time, + a few trips with cousins who lived with my family from korea, who went to Lil Tokyo in LA from time to time to check out book stores. Good times.
Feb 9, 2014 5:32 AM

Nov 2013
My first anime was Cowboy Bebop.
I was introduced to it through some indie musicians.
Feb 9, 2014 5:37 AM

Jan 2012
Mine was Blue Seed. Not exactly an anime a five year old should watch. T_T
Feb 9, 2014 5:59 AM

Oct 2013
Seriously though, this is like 1000th topic of this sort.
Feb 9, 2014 6:52 AM
Aug 2013
Without knowing its not a normal cartoon and is categorized as anime, I watched some episodes of Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh on TV as a kid.
My first anime I started watching online was Naruto after seeing one episode of it on TV and with that learning about anime in general.
Feb 9, 2014 6:58 AM
Nov 2013
My first was Boku no Pico. My friend told be to google it. I was prepared for some random shit, but NOTHING prepared me for what came next.
Feb 9, 2014 8:25 AM

Nov 2012
sailor moon, like 2 years ago i think? got interested in it because of a tumblr blog
Feb 9, 2014 11:05 PM

Aug 2013
Valaskjalf said:
ShiroNeko89 said:

must be weird for her child to watch chinese cartoon lol

Hahaha yeah i totally freaked her out. I was just so in love with Tamahome!
"When you walk in a dream but you know you're not dreaming Signore
Scuzza me, but you see, back in old Napoli that's amore"

Feb 12, 2014 4:31 AM

Feb 2014
My first Anime was Sword Art Online, and my Brother showed it to me.
I was alwys wondering what sorts of series he was watching, so i asked him to show me one. He was just watching SAO, so he let me stay and watch too. I loved the beginning, and he let me watch one episode a day, which was annoying, but better than nothing.
After that he just gave me some series, and i could watch Anime without him.
I owe him so much. Even though he's somethimes very annoying.
Feb 12, 2014 5:33 AM

Oct 2012
My First anime is Wedding Peach dubbed ver. airing from my local television..
Feb 12, 2014 6:08 AM

Dec 2013
Flame of Recca. My sister was the one who introduced me to the world of Manga/Anime.
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Feb 12, 2014 7:55 AM

Nov 2013
My first anime was fairy tail, because I wanted to watch anime, and I searched it up online.
Feb 12, 2014 8:16 AM

Jun 2010
TV introduced me pokemon, digimon, doremon and other mons. ヽ(*・ω・)ノ
I was also exposed to Yu Gi-Oh and Naruto at that time when I was still a kid. Then FMA started airing on our staple channel at 7 PM and dum du rumm

But in all seriousness, Yu Yu Hakusho was the first ever anime that I've followed when I was young (well I'm still young mind you) (ノдヽ)
Feb 12, 2014 8:17 AM

Jul 2013
TV introduced me to Pokemon, Dragonball Z, and Naruto \ ^__^ /

My brother recently got me into more anime tho
Feb 12, 2014 9:59 AM
Feb 2014
Dragon Ball Z.
TV.
Feb 12, 2014 11:01 AM
Oct 2013
As a kid I didn't know what anime was so Idk if those shows counted. DBZ, Sailor Moon, pretty much everything on toonami except gundam.

When I found out what anime was I'd say my first anime was Yu-Yu Hakushou, followed by death note and Elfen Lied.

^^ btw I don't think avatar is an anime.
Feb 14, 2014 10:13 AM

Aug 2013
my first anime is doraemon but the first anime that truly make me hooked up and love anime is gosick. the one that introduce me to anime is TV and internet.
Feb 14, 2014 1:38 PM
Dec 2013
It was those old TV shows that everyone watched and liked. Dragon Ball Z, Digimon, Pokemon, but if we exclude them, then it's InuYasha back when it first started airing.
Those were awesome days
Feb 14, 2014 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
My first one was "Naruto". My friend watched and read the manga, so he said I should watch it. Took me a while to actually do it, but when I did, I was hooked. Though I didn't really get in to the "anime-world" since before last summer.
Feb 14, 2014 3:47 PM

Dec 2012
Doraemon/Crayon Shin-chan back when I lived in Japan, those two anime aired one after another and I watched it every single week. My dad also recorded every episode of it on VHS in case I missed it and I still have those tapes with me.
Feb 14, 2014 4:21 PM

Aug 2009
Technically: Dragonball Z when it was first coming to America. Just kinda found it at random.

Mar 15, 2014 12:35 AM
Feb 2014
These are all really interesting actually. Some really diverse answers, I was expecting everyone to say the same things.
Mar 15, 2014 12:55 AM

Sep 2013
Well, since I am not counting Pokémon/Digimon/DBZ (Brazilian open TV when I was young), my first anime was the classic Hunter x Hunter and I watched it because when I was little one friend of mine used to watch it and I remembered it looked cool enough to give it a try.
Mar 15, 2014 1:35 AM

Feb 2014
My first anime is Pokémon, introduced by my parents. My parents bought the CD for me when I was little. And I don't even know that Pokémon originates from Japan for a few years, and so during that time I did not differentiate between an Japanese animation and an American animation.

The second is Hello Kitty (is this an anime?), third is Digimon from TV, and also Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Cryan Shin Chan, One Piece then Naruto. All are non-Japanese dub.

The first anime I watched with Japanese dub is Naruto.
tetrix1993Mar 15, 2014 1:39 AM
Mar 15, 2014 2:21 AM

Jan 2014
First was Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin), then Mew Mew Power, but I did not know that they were anime at the time.

When I moved to Canada, I also watched the English version of Spider Riders.
The first anime I truly watched knowing what it was was One Piece, and I was introduced to it by my brother. I marathoned it in a few months and watched a lot more over the year and half since then.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 15, 2014 2:23 AM
Dec 2013
DBZ on TV
Mar 15, 2014 2:35 AM

Feb 2014
I started watching anime on TV around when I was 5 years old and watched shows like Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece every morning before I went to school. When I was around 8 we use to go to a video rental store where I borrowed Dragon Ball Z VHS cassettes and I also out of curiosity borrowed more mature anime like Neon Genesis Evangelion. Then we got Foxtel and my faviorite channel was Cartoon Network and I loved to watch Toonami. That's how I got into anime.
AzlanMar 15, 2014 2:42 AM
Mar 15, 2014 2:37 AM

Nov 2013
My brother was watching Naruto a loooooooong time ago, like the first naruto. And I was like wtf you watching and he was like 'I'm watching Naruto'. It looked interesting and I started watching it. After I finished watching Naruto I moved on to Shippuden and then One Piece. I then had a small break of watching new anime and watched the new episodes every week. I now watch short anime series such as I recently finished watching Ao No Exorcist.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 12 hours ago

45 by Pinoffin »»
10 seconds ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

52 by bucciest »»
2 minutes ago

» Which character in your favorites is the most down bad / warped personality?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 5

22 by bucciest »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

24 by bucciest »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching

deg - Apr 14

46 by bucciest »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.