Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Dice Killing Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 25, 2009 3:11 PM
Mar 2009
Lesson learned from this episode: Don't fuck with Rika or she will beat the living shit out of you with a chair!

XD Anyways, this was a fairly interesting episode, I know if I was Rika I'd probably just choose to stay in that world in hopes of it getting better rather than having to do the tragic thing of killing my own mother *shudder*
May 25, 2009 3:50 PM

May 2008
Lawl. The chair bashing was epic. It was like "HIT HER WITH THE CHAIR. THE CHAAAIIRRR."

I'm sad though D: 'Cause Rika probably has to kill her mommy..

May 25, 2009 4:29 PM

Jun 2008
I loved this ep. Why? Because Satoko got pwn'd by Rika...and pwn'd hard at that.......for me, that is extremely epic win!! >:D
May 25, 2009 7:22 PM

Jul 2008
Can someone explain this to me? Why is Rika's mom Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation and not Rika? If the mom died, would Rika be the reincarnation? Why was Rika the reincarnation in the other world and not her mom?
May 25, 2009 7:41 PM

May 2008
Disappointing episode was disappointing.

Call me biased, but I was cool with episode 2 disregarding it being rushed. But this time they went just too far.

RANTING WILL FOLLOW, READ tl;dr: AT BOTTOM IF YOU FIND IT SLIGHTLY NAUSEATING:

Saikoroshi-hen is all about atmosphere. How Rika continuously loathes a "perfect" world with inner monologues is it's main charm. Here we progressed with Rika being bullied, looking sad, leaving etc. without any elaborating at all. Nothing was motivated, and scenes just... happened, one after one.

Worse is, they completely failed at representing the dilemma as the truly painful choice it is. We're supposed to completely understand what hell Rika is going true, sympathizing with her. When she gains a tiny ray of hope, we're supposed to give her our full support. Then, when we really hate this world together with her, the establishment of Mion's club is supposed to smack us in the face, starting to slowly attach us to this world. With Rika's mother showing her love, it should finally leave us in a state where we can't decide if Rika should stay or not. Hence, we understand her feelings.

The anime basically skipped on monologues, so we saw this perfect world as "okay compared to Takano" and didn't sympathize. We didn't feel Rika's strong resolution of wanting to return, thus Mion's club had no chance of smacking us in the face. Worse is, the establishment wasn't performed emotionally at all. Lastly, the mother-daughter scene was the only thing performed with a somewhat good atmosphere, but still rushed and far too short.

This combined with barely no soundtrack at all and the few ones in use being reused half-assed tracks and NO BERNKASTEL was a sad move.

Animation was still awesome, asides from the eyes being somewhat.. weird? Hope to continue see the budget in use here.

tl;dr: We basically saw Rika going from "This world bothers me" to "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF THIS CHAIR" to "I may like this world, nipaa~" with unmotivated scenes. Ableit nicely animated, lack of soundtrack made us feel like we were rushing through a series of scripted events.
May 25, 2009 7:52 PM

Jul 2007
That episode definitely went a little too crazily from one extreme to another. I like the idea of this story arc, but not its execution.

The chair action was unexpected though... a little more of the old Higurashi coming through, I guess.
May 25, 2009 10:08 PM

Jul 2008
Awesome episode imo :).

Next episode will be the 24 of june eh? It's freacking too far :(.
May 26, 2009 4:14 AM

Apr 2009
Charliehsv said:
(although one hit would've been more than enough...lol)

This is Higurashi. It's never enough.
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
May 26, 2009 8:34 PM
Nov 2008
based on the preview for the next ep I think that she won't have to kill her mom and will be able to return. Something to give us a happy ending.
May 27, 2009 2:41 PM

Jul 2008
Oh wow...Rika is so awesome when she's mad! O_O "Nice to meet you" after she bashes the heck out of Satoko.

But on the other hand, poor Rika! D: Such a difficult decision to make! But I have a feeling that things will start getting whacky, causing her to make the decision to kill her mother. D:
Bleed for me.

May 28, 2009 8:34 AM

Jul 2008
What is it with people beating Satoko with a chair? Is it that fun...?
Satoshi's such a sweetheart, I forgot how much I missed him.
Rika's mad face made me jump a foot in the air.

Anyway, this was nice, if not a bit rushed. I like the main idea behind this arc, especially with Rika's mom, I don't want to wait another month until the next episode...
May 28, 2009 9:09 PM

Jun 2008
YES! The suspense! The thrill! This is the Higurashi that I fell in love with so long ago! Oh shit's about to happen and happen fast, I want more episodes =[ but I guess that's just not gonna happen.
May 29, 2009 8:28 PM

Oct 2008
I won't consider this canon, but it is a nice addition to the series, i hope it continues in that way :)
May 31, 2009 10:53 AM

Aug 2008
Best one so far. Finally i felt the spirit of first season. Also seeing Rika beat the s**t out of Satoko was priceless experience which recompensed me lack of Keiichi.
Jun 1, 2009 1:10 AM

Jun 2006
Kitcha took all of what I was going to say. xD

Yeah I thought this was way too rushed, though considering how short the series is...I guess that's understandable? I just felt more emotional in the visual novel, but yeah I guess we can't have everything we want. Though... not adding Bern was UGH (they added her at the end of Kai, but not in Rei...). DX I swear Studio Deen hates hates Bern...

The main character of this arc will always be Bern in my heart. ;3
Jun 2, 2009 2:59 PM

Feb 2009
NikkiKora said:

Although I'm AMAZED that Satoshi wasn't more concerned. Back when Shmion beat Satoko with a chair (in-series reference?), Satoshi ran in and was like, "MION STOP THIS RIGHT NOW!!"

I guess Satoshi and Satoko's bond was stronger when they were facing abuse.

It's amazing too that Satoko can be such a bitch --- in any world. You wouldn't have thought it, but then we've only seen worlds where shes faced some sort of ordeal thats made her tougher.
Jun 2, 2009 5:01 PM

Nov 2006
It's just not Higger without Keiichi. ;_;
Jun 3, 2009 6:47 AM

Jul 2008
when Rika threw this chair, I was like "o.O" xD but then I thought "c'mon, it's Higurashi" :D so watching Rika beating Satoko was funny XDD

Yamamoto, you bastard D: even though thanks to you Rika found the piece, I still don't like you :<

if I were Rika, I'd prefer to go back to my Hinamizawa..
Jun 3, 2009 1:41 PM

Jan 2008
her mother is the reincarination of oyashiro sama!!! will she kill her?
Jun 3, 2009 10:48 PM

May 2008
I know some people feel sorry for Satoko in this arc/episode.
But she really had it coming this time.

In fact, I think a lot of people, Japanese or otherwise, who have had a bad experience with bullying, whether themselves or a friend or someone they even slightly care about, had an easy time smiling with glee to seeing bullying get it's proper response for once.

In the arc that I saw Satoko tortured, I really wanted to just be able to jump in the screen and intervene so bad. It was painful. But this, no mercy for Satoko. She didn't even get that injured. No, this was absolutely deserved. I'm glad she's all right. But I wouldn't have had that situation responded to any other way. It may make me seem like a bad person. But it actually put a smile on my face. A big ol' smile.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jun 4, 2009 4:51 PM
Mar 2009
ukonkivi said:
I know some people feel sorry for Satoko in this arc/episode.
But she really had it coming this time.

In fact, I think a lot of people, Japanese or otherwise, who have had a bad experience with bullying, whether themselves or a friend or someone they even slightly care about, had an easy time smiling with glee to seeing bullying get it's proper response for once.

In the arc that I saw Satoko tortured, I really wanted to just be able to jump in the screen and intervene so bad. It was painful. But this, no mercy for Satoko. She didn't even get that injured. No, this was absolutely deserved. I'm glad she's all right. But I wouldn't have had that situation responded to any other way. It may make me seem like a bad person. But it actually put a smile on my face. A big ol' smile.

No, nobody feels sorry for Satoko in this arc/episode. I agree with you and I think many others do also. XD
Jun 4, 2009 5:46 PM
Aug 2008
[/preparing to get shot for saying this]

I
am extremely excited
for the next two episodes. D:

It's all leading up to the Umineko no Naku Koro ni anime, which I have been waiting for for like... ever now. @____@

I really like how they're executing these episodes -- it's kept my attention so far.

I actually miss the first season stuff though... I miss our gorey, bloody fun stuff. ; w;~
Jun 4, 2009 6:01 PM

Jun 2008
Yay for beating people with chairs. I can't believe she didn't get in trouble at all for that
Jun 5, 2009 12:46 PM

Mar 2009
windy said:
It's just not Higger without Keiichi. ;_;

Soooo true, although looking at the preview made me go happyface.
Jun 5, 2009 3:11 PM

May 2008
PsychFreak said:
No, nobody feels sorry for Satoko in this arc/episode.

Here, no. But elsewhere, yeah many people seem to.

Jun 5, 2009 8:16 PM

Jun 2007
Rika devastating Satoko O_O lfmao so strong
Jun 6, 2009 4:45 AM

Jan 2008
*Satoko steals Book!*
Rika:"Hey bitch, I'm over a hundred goddamn years old, I don't have to take it from a brat like you!"
*Rika throws Chair*
*Satoko gulps and shivers in fetal positon*
*Rika beats Satoko with Chair*
*Satoko loses 10 HP*
*Rika has leveled up!*
Dem clubcards are big..

http://ilyasviel.mybrute.com
Jun 7, 2009 4:08 AM
Dec 2007
Ryukishi07 is a maestro, and Higurashi is a masterpiece. As a fellow scenarist, I can but applause at his greatness... Just fantastically well-thought and executed.

For those of you who think this OVA doesn't have the Higurashi feel, you're right and wrong at the same time. It doesn't have the first series' feel, it has Higurashi Kai's feel, and almost entirely too. The OVAs, just like Kai, are much more centered on Rika, more scenario-driven and with more characters interactions, less suspense (although it is still quite great on this side), and the theme of friendship is even stronger than in the first series but it lacks "punch", violence, surprise and spontaneity. Exactly like Kai, less "punchy", rough and extreme, and more polished, intellectual and abstract.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 7, 2009 7:54 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was a good episode, nice tension. Looking forward to the next episode. Didn't get to see much of Rena though.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 7, 2009 7:56 AM

Feb 2008
That was interesting. Looking forward to the next episode. Though I hope she won't kill her mother. :/

cyruz said:
Didn't get to see much of Reina though.

D:
Jun 7, 2009 10:46 AM

Nov 2007
i had to laugh hardcore when she started to beat satoko with a chair.
Jun 7, 2009 11:29 AM

May 2008
Oh wow, now Rika needs to kill her own mother?

It's the same intense, but also different from the original story, in which killing was in madness and not aimed at some special event.
Jun 7, 2009 3:05 PM

Apr 2009
this show never stops its creepy ambience.

well, looks like rika is proper fucked.

she's stuck in a sort of "end world" where she can truly die, as the old hinamizawa she has fought to win with hanyuu and everyone else has been seemingly lost to her forever. worst of all, it seems like she will have to murder her own mother to get out.

not that i think that will ultimately save her from her fate.

it's very scary in a subtle way, since i don't think this is something she can escape from anymore. after suffering for centuries, this might be the way things end for her.
in your nostromo.

eating your crew.
Jun 8, 2009 9:46 AM

Dec 2008
tentacle_raep said:

it's very scary in a subtle way, since i don't think this is something she can escape from anymore. after suffering for centuries, this might be the way things end for her.

Agree, this will have some kind bad end, without any continuation.
20px!!!!
Jun 8, 2009 4:44 PM

Aug 2007
I loved this episode. It made me feel like I was watching season 1 again. I'm such an ass for this but I lol'd when Rika beat Satoko with the chair :P. Anyways, I knew Rika had to kill her mother halfway through the ep but I wasn't completely sure. I can't wait till ep 4 comes out :)
Jun 8, 2009 8:04 PM

Jul 2008
rika went psycho on satoko with the chair, and turns out the fragment thing she has to get is most likely in her own mother, and the only way to get it is to kill her! cruel twist of fate much?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jun 9, 2009 8:01 AM

Apr 2008
I'm surprised Satoko only took minor damage XD

Hmmm so it's between killing Rika's mother or live in that world...hmm as expected of Higurashi, always unpredictable.

Jun 9, 2009 3:15 PM

Jun 2007
I guess being a little girl Rika wouldn't have that much strenght to do a lot of harm anyway.

Fun episode, its good to see some more serious stuff :)
Jun 9, 2009 10:10 PM

May 2008
Hinamizawa has some really weak chairs.

Jun 10, 2009 11:26 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode! I was scared when Rika went mad I did not expect, but it was fun..
Sylpheed said:
I'm surprised Satoko only took minor damage XD

Me too!

However where is Takano?
Jun 10, 2009 2:03 PM
May 2009
I wonder if she can do it. (Episode watchers know what) That would be damn hardcore, even more than previous deaths.
Jun 10, 2009 2:22 PM

Jun 2009
fiedore said:
I wonder if she can do it. (Episode watchers know what) That would be damn hardcore, even more than previous deaths.

Maybe if she has to do it, she will do....but I like thinking she will found other solutions...
Jun 10, 2009 7:17 PM
Feb 2008
I'm convinced Rika will kill her mother during Watanagashi. Oh, the irony~.
Jun 11, 2009 9:11 AM
Oct 2007
Just curious... Isn't the Hinamizawa Syndrome still technically going to develop further when the villagers all move away?

Meaning, if the village is flooded and everyone moves, they'll all become paranoid/violent?
moo
Jun 11, 2009 11:12 AM

Jun 2009
Rinatsu said:
Just curious... Isn't the Hinamizawa Syndrome still technically going to develop further when the villagers all move away?

Meaning, if the village is flooded and everyone moves, they'll all become paranoid/violent?

It should be so, but we do not know if there is Hinamizawa Syndrome in this new "world", the monk's malediction is never appeared and this is really strange...It seems that the Hinamizawa Syndrome does not exist
Jun 12, 2009 4:59 AM

Apr 2009
ukonkivi said:
Hinamizawa has some really weak chairs.
i was expecting brains and whatnot.

like when keichi had a bat party for his two female friends.

god, can't wait for the next ep.

also, there only seems to be one mion here.
in your nostromo.

eating your crew.
Jun 16, 2009 6:34 AM
Mar 2009
My only word for this episode:

FujimiyaJun 16, 2009 6:38 AM
Jun 18, 2009 10:12 AM

Jun 2009
Rika ain't playing around!

i thought she was gonna go in for a punch not beat her with chair, then again that's Higurashi for ya

cant wait for episode 4
Jun 18, 2009 9:38 PM

Jul 2008
Fujimiya said:
My only word for this episode:

LOL.

I was so ready for Satoko to bite it. And I also thought Satoko was going to be the one with the fragment inside them.

Rika doesn't take shit from anyone.

Anyway, this arc cannot end well.
Jun 20, 2009 1:54 PM

Jul 2008
poor rika she's gonna have to kill her mother....damn :(
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Gar_Logan - Aug 19, 2009

245 by KingOfMAL »»
Mar 19, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Katsuki - Jun 12, 2009

186 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 12, 2023 12:41 AM

» Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei [Visual Novel Discussion]

waalex11 - Apr 14, 2023

1 by Ricedumpismyname »»
Apr 15, 2023 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

phinix_down - Feb 14, 2009

190 by --bee-- »»
Jan 2, 2023 1:21 PM

» am i the only person disgusted by all this 'loli' shit?

AiyanaMiyuki - Dec 25, 2021

6 by removed-user »»
Nov 6, 2022 10:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.