Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2009 12:21 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A great end for a great anime.
There is not only one of the best works of the CLAMP but one of the best animes done up to today.
CelloJul 8, 2009 6:04 PM
Jun 7, 2009 11:52 AM
Nov 2008
Honestly, it was decent series. Lots of angst but it wasn't as bad as say.. Suzuka in that way :).
Jul 5, 2009 8:09 AM

Oct 2008
I loved X, it's my favourite anime of all & deserves a 10 in my opinion, & 10's have only been given to two animes I've watch, which the other 10 goes to Death Note.

It's just so I can rate things better as I don't think anything derserves a 10 unless it's got everything important in a storyline, but I couldn't have it on a scale with Bleach which I gave a 9 as I think X is better.

Anyway, the story was very deep & interesting, & wow, such drama & death! The series is a very heartbreaking one but that's why it's so good. I felt so sorry for Kamui & Subaru, aww, two angst cuties. XD

The only thing it could've had more of was a bit more background on the characters or even a background at all since Hinato, Kanoe, Yuuto & Kusangai weren't given one.

Nataku had some but what about her/his parents. She/he always spoke of her/his dad looking like Fuuma & Karen looking like her/his mum, so there was a little emotion there. I felt sorry for her/him.

I felt sorry for Seishiro too because he didn't have emotions which isn't his fault really, & then episode 16 came & I cry everytime because it's got to be the most saddest episode of X ever! *Bawl* I think he should've had more screen time too, as he only appeared in 3 episodes (two being proper appearances but in ep 14 you see him twice for a few moments.) Now that's just not right, Seishiro rocks!

I also think ep 16 should've turned out different because I can't accept it really, although I do prefer canon storylines to non-canon, but poor Subaru... It's just too sad & cruel for my liking. I wish there was an alternate ending for that ep or a sequel of him coming back, but Clamp says when someone dies, they stay dead. :( At least there's fanfiction (good ones!)

Aoki & Daisuke also didn't have much of a background, & Fuuma & Kotori during the 6 years Kamui was away would've been interesting, but I think the rest of the cast had short but pretty good backgrounds.

The ending was quite acceptable & not too tragic, although it is (nooo, Kamui!) but it was for the greater good. The ending fight scene's conclusion seemed too quick for me... but maybe it was meant to be like that, since Kamui couldn't really fight Fuuma, thus he wasn't suppose to last long in a fight against him.

The movie was quite bad though, since that had A LOT of death too, but the storyline was basically taken away which was an awful shame because the animation was beautiful!

Okay I'm done! Wow I can sure type when it comes down to something I feel like talking a lot about. :D
Apr 11, 2010 12:44 PM
Feb 2010
I love this series. Amazing.
It was upsetting that so many great characters died.
Sorata's death scene was really sad to watch..
:<
Dec 15, 2010 11:27 AM

Oct 2009
The ending didn't have any impact for me...i don't know the whole thing was just (* ̄m ̄)...
XD
Then again the whole anime felt like that (ーー;)...maybe its just me :P
Guess this is more a anime for girls with Yaoi references and all, might be the reason i didn't like it that much.
Still the series was pretty good had a decent plot, characters, music and animation (except they kept showing the same scenes again and again which was a real turn off for me).
6.5/10 but i gave it 7/10 for the heck of it since i love CLAMP (≧∇≦)/
Jan 22, 2012 11:54 AM

Dec 2009
The ending was good.

DeathReaper said:
The ending didn't have any impact for me...i don't know the whole thing was just (* ̄m ̄)...
XD
Then again the whole anime felt like that (ーー;)...maybe its just me :P
Guess this is more a anime for girls with Yaoi references and all, might be the reason i didn't like it that much.
Still the series was pretty good had a decent plot, characters, music and animation (except they kept showing the same scenes again and again which was a real turn off for me).
6.5/10 but i gave it 7/10 for the heck of it since i love CLAMP (&gE;∇&lE;)/

Think I am i the same boat as you. It was decent enough but the middle section of the anime seemed to drag on. The things that happened in the series were very predictable after the first few episodes. 6/10 from me.
Such junk...
Jan 26, 2012 10:21 AM
Jul 2010
6/10 Nothing special, bad voice actring, bad pacing inconclusive ending, very predicteable and so on. Ill say its decent at best. I especially found it funny this anime tried to be mature while it wasn't.
Jun 1, 2012 1:36 AM

Feb 2010
I just didn't want Kamui to die :'(.
Jun 5, 2012 10:28 AM

Nov 2011
All of you saying the series wasn't good need to go read the manga. The anime has a much bigger impact on you once you've read the manga. Also, at least the anime is complete. D=

Also, I think a lot of guys aren't realizing that
1. This is CLAMP. Of course there are yaoi undertones.
2. X is a SHOUJO. Violent and action-filled or not, it's geared at ladies. =D
Jun 10, 2012 11:18 PM

Feb 2010
The manga is awesome. B-)
Jun 25, 2012 10:50 PM

Nov 2011
A great series that Clamp created out of their imaginative mind. I do admit that there were some cilches and recycled plots/characters but overall, enjoyable series.

I might give the manga a try in the future now tbh.
Jul 22, 2012 9:03 PM

Mar 2012
This Anime must be seen till the end ! I think it is average... It has an interesting introduction, but in the middler parts I was a bit bored... Only the 3 last episodes let the anime become more interesting and emotional.
Lokusbomber-Punk for life
http://lokusbomber.blogspot.de/
Nov 5, 2012 8:37 PM
Feb 2011
Anime started out good but half way it got quite boring.

Also a couple of romantic pairings in this felt like there was no base to the feelings... Sorata love for Arashi (based on lust?) and Yuzuriha love for Kusanagi (Based on circumstance) any of those could have been a different pairing if they just met someone else first. There was no getting to know each other first like Kamui and Kuma/Kotori.

There was the fact that Kamui got rather weak half-way through.

I did love how they played off Kamui's feelings when Kotori died tho he did come back rather fast.
Jul 31, 2013 9:18 PM
Sep 2011
it was a good anime..I had seen the OVA years ago before watching this..I perfer the ending in the OVA over this one...and for me Sorata was the main center of the show, Kamui really bored me..the site I watched this on didnt have episode 23 so watching 22-24 really confused me..actually glad I finished the anime at 23 :P
Sep 10, 2013 4:33 PM
Apr 2013
I'm so sad because Kamui died.

That's true this series is so predictable, maybe it's also because of some scene had been explained from the dream of dreamseer before it happen. Even though like that, in the end I just don't expect that Kamui woud die.

Actually it's good ending, the world had been saved and Fuma is back to his old personality. But Kamui.... Arggghhh, they can't live together again...
Jun 3, 2015 12:34 PM

Mar 2010
A lot of things in this anime don't make sense. Why did Subaru save Kamui when he is going to die anyway. I don't know what Clamp or whoever decided on this ending is thinking...
Jun 14, 2015 3:32 PM

Jun 2013
cloud8100 said:
I just didn't want Kamui to die :'(.
"Masturbation."

---The End.
Jun 14, 2015 3:33 PM

Jun 2013
--hane_flow-- said:
I'm so sad because Kamui died.

That's true this series is so predictable, maybe it's also because of some scene had been explained from the dream of dreamseer before it happen. Even though like that, in the end I just don't expect that Kamui woud die.

Actually it's good ending, the world had been saved and Fuma is back to his old personality. But Kamui.... Arggghhh, they can't live together again...
"Masturbation."

---The End.
Jun 14, 2015 3:36 PM

Jun 2013
Good lord. I put my heart out on the line for this show to end with Kamui not dying. I kept believing like a silly fan, even though, early on, I realized that it would not end up happy for everyone involved (especially bc that was a recurring theme throughout the show), that everything would end up A OK for everyone.

I guess the only question I have, is whether or not Fuma remembers having killed Fuma (or actually, having done the things he did). Because of he does, than that would make the show all the more angsty (and I just-)
"Masturbation."

---The End.
Nov 22, 2015 6:54 AM
Nov 2015
Is and will be my favorite anime ever ^_^
May 23, 2016 6:41 AM

Jan 2016
Great anime, i don't got it every message of the anime, i'll read the manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2016 8:02 PM

Apr 2012
man that's cheating, Dragons of Earth won let the world be destroyed already
Sep 15, 2018 11:38 AM

May 2018
So, Kamui himself was an actual barrier and he had to die in order for it to be activated?

Would love to have known what happened to Kanoe.

Still, I wonder what the true manga ending will be. It's been on hiatus forever. CLAMP doesn't seem to be working on anything right now.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Oct 3, 2020 9:20 PM

Jul 2015
A great finale for a great story. Since we don't know if the manga will ever see the light again, for me this was quite satisfying. I've cried more than I thought. I'm glad I watched it.
Dec 18, 2020 11:14 AM

Dec 2015
Of course it is far less than the original manga: pretty but not beautiful, introducing every character but lacking time for each of them (despite their simplicity)... But it is good in its own right and stands as a good alternative for every newcomer who won't start the manga because it has no end (and never will).
Kawajiri does its best to focus on the preordained nature of the story (starting with an effective OAV, that also does a good job as a trailer for the series). sometimes damaging the original scenario with a bit too much hints (creating logic problems in a series that didn't need more of them). ANd he delivers, of course, a good direction and decent visuals for an early 2000 TV show (this dark period where the transition toward digital animation made many series look rather bad).

Some will also complain that the TV series doesn't tell much for an adaptation coming so late in the manga's (after)life. It is certainly true but the discard of many complications allows for a useful slower pace in a full-length series aiming to be a brooding journey of human sacrifices dealing with the coming end of time.

Score: 8/10
Enjoyment: 5/5

I still wish it had more about Subaru and Seishirô...

Ittan_Momen said:

Still, I wonder what the true manga ending will be. It's been on hiatus forever. CLAMP doesn't seem to be working on anything right now.

It will never be. The publisher said no to what they finally envisioned around the 2000s thus the slow restart of the manga just stopped forever. (Too bad, since they could probably self publish their end, they surely have enough funds...)

June 14, 2022
@commonxreaction It seemed "obvious" to me that Earth Kamui disappeared with Sky Kamui, leaving only the regular Fûma from before the path choice. Is he supposed to still be the "transformed" Fûma in the epilogue?

commonxreaction said:

It looks like it wouldn't let me tag you, for whatever reason. So I tried inserting a quote. I don't know if you'll get a notification and see this.

I got both notifications, mention then quote. ^^ (No need to thank me, it's already a pleasure to see someone more finishing this adaptation of CLAMP by Kawajiri.)
I understand the problem with the final Kekkai. It didn't strike me at all because I immediately took it as something symbolic (especially since Kamui could never create one before) and allowing for a "flashy/moving" final move (last breath worldwide protection, no truly supernatural power until then, etc).
I hope you'll eventually read the later volumes of the manga. Even though you saw a nice transcription (despite roughly half of the show being original) and the books don't have any resolution, the duels/confrontations set up by CLAMP in the comicbooks are all quite nice (plus, you get the rough pretty style of their beginning and a smoother variant around their late reprise of the manga).
Rei_IIIJun 14, 2022 2:55 PM
Jun 13, 2021 4:58 AM

Mar 2007
Somehow the climax did not feel at all climactic. Love the soundtrack of this show though.
Jun 13, 2022 10:46 AM

Jan 2020
That was an ending, I guess. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that. It just seemed really random and anti-climatic. The main question being, why did Fuma stop pursuing the destruction of the world after getting rid of the one obstacle in his way? Kamui's death created a barrier, I get that, but Fuma saw that and just was done? He didn't even humor other options? He was like, "Oh man, a barrier? Well... I don't feel like doing anything else. So I guess Kamui wins." Weird.

I had started to read the manga awhile back, but stopped because it was on hiatus. Somehow it's still on hiatus, so I guess I'll never know what the true, intended ending was. Just like Berserk.

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about this series. Is was pretty okay, but it got wonky as we approached the end.

Rei_III said:
June 14, 2022
@commonxreaction It seemed "obvious" to me that Earth Kamui disappeared with Sky Kamui, leaving only the regular Fûma from before the path choice. Is he supposed to still be the "transformed" Fûma in the epilogue?

@Rei_III It makes sense that Fuma would regress from before becoming the Dragon of Earth, as that was Kamui's goal. I dunno, the giant barrier extending out in all directions just didn't seem like it had any finality to it. Not much impact, if that makes sense? It was like a beautiful veil spreading out and then the scene just kind of ended. So, I didn't feel like we saw a direct reaction to that. It could just be an editing thing? There was a lull, and then we just eventually saw everyone who was still alive doing their thing.

It looks like it wouldn't let me tag you, for whatever reason. So I tried inserting a quote. I don't know if you'll get a notification and see this. But, anyway, thanks, that gave me some more to reflect on. :-)
commonxreactionJun 14, 2022 12:03 PM

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Oct 2016
I tried guys. I really tried. I was forcing myself to watch this show by the 6th episode. By 12 I was so done. So I read a synopsis of the rest of the plot and watched the final two episodes.

This show is a grand example of 'things are happening but nothing is happening.' It felt like every idea was made as boring as possible with no interesting twists on literally anything. I wish I could say this is because I don't like older anime or shoujo, but aht's just not true. Utena, Versailles, Harlock are all great. I just don't know why this was so... dull and bad?

I wanted to like it. I did.
Jul 15, 2023 1:23 PM

Mar 2021
I feel the same way as some of the replies above. The first 10 or so episodes I thought were excellent, really enjoyable. After that though, everything just fell off. They couldn't maintain the same energy and it completely devolved into angst. I'm really not somebody into misery for the sake of misery, and that is what it ended up being throughout the second half. The ending did nothing but make me feel disappointed. Maybe if they hadn't shoved an annoying recap episode into the series at episode 17, it could have been more fleshed out.

Hard to rate this one, because the first 10 episodes were great, but apart from the odd episode here and there after that, it was dropping in quality rapidly. It started out as an 8 or 9 to begin with but rapidly fell to a 5 after episode 10. If I was to rate it overall, it would be a 6 or a 7.
Oct 2, 2023 1:04 AM

Sep 2017
Good ending,

Glad subaru came around near the end and the remaining got a happy resolution.

The ending was well done with what the manga had ended at and even though its not perfect, it is still pretty much made sense and was touching. Kamui letting himself die to release the kekkai and live within fuuma's heart to stop everything was cool. Again, we dont see what happened to satsuki at the end, or kakyo, but till now the anime pretty much carried on the concepts of the manga in line even though it deviated a little, the idea was the same.

Now a lot of character threads are still left hanging, which i dont argue against, but the manga isnt any better with its hiatus and some of the highlights of the manga are left out but it still worked.

It was nice to see Sorata's wish with arashi, and nice that nekoi could show that waterfall.

subaru releasing that kekkai again was very much the coolest moment showing that future was not set in stone.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 7, 2023 8:43 PM

Mar 2019
I liked the movie more, but the TV series is also pretty cool. (⁠◡⁠ ⁠ω⁠ ⁠◡⁠)

8/10
Mar 13, 3:28 AM
Oct 2016
the entire series is so delicate and generous with poetry and drama. it's like a gift to the hearts true desire. 10/10. this show is a treasure

More topics from this board

» Help: X (TV) filler episodes?

JoNuttanon1994 - Feb 10

3 by Joker_Sama »»
Feb 14, 8:58 AM

Poll: » X Episode 23 Discussion

RyanBebop - Jan 19, 2012

9 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 7, 2023 8:11 PM

Poll: » X Episode 22 Discussion

RyanBebop - Jan 18, 2012

6 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 1, 2023 7:51 AM

Poll: » X Episode 21 Discussion

RyanBebop - Jan 17, 2012

4 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 1, 2023 7:07 AM

Poll: » X Episode 20 Discussion

RyanBebop - Jan 16, 2012

9 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 1, 2023 6:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.