Forum Settings
Forums

Do you get influenced by people's review on an anime ?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 20, 2014 10:54 AM
Jul 2018
Reading reviews on mars of destruction MADE me watch it. Good times.
Jan 20, 2014 11:01 AM

Sep 2013
Since most reviews are usually not worth reading, I don't get influenced by them. There are the few good reviews out there but I always find myself curious about a certain anime whether I check reviews or not. But then again, I mostly check reviews on anime that I have seen before because of their tendency to write spoilers. After all, I never read them to form an opinion of something.
Jan 20, 2014 12:52 PM

Mar 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Fierce_Deity22 said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
MrAwesome2014 said:
I don't read them since most of them are either biased or from the future.

Being biased is the entire point of a review of subjective material such as anime.

Yet you always hear in a review "I will try not to be biased"

That's because the people writing them are dipshits, which further proves my point that you shouldn't ever listen to their opinions either.

Do you ever write reviews?
Jan 21, 2014 4:23 PM

Sep 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
Fierce_Deity22 said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
MrAwesome2014 said:

Being biased is the entire point of a review of subjective material such as anime.

That's because the people writing them are dipshits, which further proves my point that you shouldn't ever listen to their opinions either.

I don't see how writing a review makes you a dipshit. Care to explain?
Jan 21, 2014 4:38 PM

Sep 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Hotdogman said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Fierce_Deity22 said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
MrAwesome2014 said:

I don't see how writing a review makes you a dipshit. Care to explain?
He probably means people who write reviews and say "I will try not to be biased" when reviews is inherently biased

that's probably true, though Fiercediety made a lovely generalization that all reviews have that.
Jan 21, 2014 4:52 PM

Dec 2012
I tend to not use reviews as a basis for deciding to watch an anime and instead I only read them after I finish the anime so I can get another opinion on the anime. So I would say no, they don't influence me.
Jan 21, 2014 4:57 PM

Oct 2012
Inferno Cop's reviews were very convincing, what can you do about it..
Jan 21, 2014 5:10 PM

Jun 2013
I sometimes read the first paragraph. If I read those huge walls of text completely, I'd be halfway through the first episode by the time I finish reading one.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Jan 21, 2014 6:43 PM

Oct 2012
I get influenced by my own reviews. I go "Series x is like a small penis, it has very good ease of entry but it never quite hits the spot... wait a minute, fuck this metaphor. And fuck this show. 1/10"
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 21, 2014 6:45 PM
Dec 2013
Zeally said:
no they got shit taste :|

Yup, everyone else's opinion doesn't matter.
Jan 21, 2014 6:46 PM

Apr 2012
-Klad- said:
I must admit it , I really don't watch an anime when it's scored by two or three users with a score 5 or 6 . I know this is not a good thing , since you should go for it and then score it yourself , but sometimes I get influenced by other's review , and then hesitate to start that anime .

What about you ?
not only that. how i score after I finished an anime is also affected by reviews.

TallonKarrde23 said:
Nobody who reviews anime knows how to write, how to review, and usually doesn't know shit about anime.
That might be true taken the entire MAL reviews as a whole, but the more "helpful" ones (at least for popular anime) are usually quite good.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 21, 2014 6:46 PM

Oct 2012
no it does not but sometimes i try to look for high scores from anime i hate to see why they like it so much
RRRRRRRRRR
Jan 21, 2014 7:05 PM

Aug 2013
Pretty sure every review on the front page of each anime page on this site(the only ones I read) are up voted based on popular opinion and are as such going to be either 10s or very low. Regardless of how 'good' the review is people will only up vote it if it corresponds to their uninformed watered down opinion.

So just a lesson for you guys, if you want people to read your reviews, kiss a lot of ass and make sure that it doesn't fight the stream of conformity.
Jan 21, 2014 7:11 PM

Oct 2012
weak said:
So just a lesson for you guys, if you want people to read your reviews, kiss a lot of ass and make sure that it doesn't fight the stream of conformity.
That's why my reviews are on my blog. Try voting that down, bitches.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 21, 2014 7:41 PM

Jan 2014
Depends on the score given:
1-5 Too much focusing on bad things. Read just for the lulz
6-8 I try to believe in them
9-10 N'ah.
Jan 21, 2014 7:42 PM

Jan 2012
i go with 7+s avg scores then watch the first episode and decide for myself. I read the recommendations side more than the reviews
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jan 21, 2014 7:45 PM

Nov 2013
It may influence if I watch the show. But there have been times where I watch the show and never listen to a reviewer ever again because they were flat out wrong.
Jan 21, 2014 8:36 PM
Dec 2013
Somewhat yes. Even more so, if the review is interesting. Example would be when I wanted to watch Guilty Crown. Lots of people said it sucked, but great animation and awesome soundtracks. Which it did. It was okay, the first half was okay and the second half killed everything until the last two episodes. Anyways, great animation, and soundtrack but sucky just like the reviews said they were.
"I'll die before I ever give up - Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto)
"If miracles happen only once, what are they called the second time" - Kurosaki Ichigo (Bleach)
"If you don't risk your life, you can't create a future, right?" - Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
"For the time being, all an idiot can do like me is keep moving forward...." - Rin Okumura (Blue Exorcist)
"I don't know how to give up!" - Sawada Tsunayoshi (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)
"You came into my life as a story, you left as a legend. " - Reborn (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)
"No matter how messed up things get, you can always figure out the best solution." Eren Jaeger (Attack On Titan)
Jan 21, 2014 8:48 PM

Jul 2013
I almost did when I was gonna watch K-on for the very first time, basically this was his rant:ALL THEY DO IS EAT FUCKING CAKE AND DRINK TEA!!!!!! He kept ranting about how there was not alot of music and he made it sound like K-on was like 3/4 cake and tea. I'm hella glad I didn't listen to him otherwise I wouldn't be loving anything and everything kawaii/moe than I am now. Also I wouldn't have met the awesomeness that is Azunyan! Fuwa fuwa nyan posse we up in this bitch breh!!!! Keki or die bitches!!!!! :3
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Jan 21, 2014 10:32 PM

Apr 2010
nope people who write most of reviews are dumb...
Its better to have burned out than to have never really shined...
Jan 29, 2014 4:33 PM

Jul 2012
If the genres do not appeal to me and the picture does not appeal to me, and the top two reviews are like below 7s, I most likely will ignore the show.
Jan 30, 2014 8:17 AM

Oct 2012
Never.

Most of them are worthless.
Jan 30, 2014 8:22 AM
Aug 2013
i dont even read the synopsis
Jan 30, 2014 8:30 AM
May 2013
I used to be hesitant about animes based on rankings. Like I used to think that anything outside of the top 300 animes might not be great, but then I realized I have a quite specific taste and what I like I usually love.
Jan 30, 2014 8:41 AM

Dec 2013
Only thing that makes me question whether i want to watch an anime or not, it's the opening theme.
Jan 30, 2014 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
I don't. Personally, I try to engage myself in a new series without the bias of other people. This way, throughout the series I can formulate my own opinions correctly. In the past though I have followed a few reviews, however the experience wasn't all bad by any means. Still, it did change my expectations about the shows before watching them. That's a quick way to suck the life out of a new show, a new experience for me.
Jan 30, 2014 9:26 AM
Oct 2013
No because the so-called "good reviewers" are usually just trolling and/or full of unneeded generalization and projection.

Only "notable" reviewer that's even worth taking seriously is Veronin.
"The mind is better off free, rather than in chains."

-Anonymous
Jan 30, 2014 9:49 AM

Jan 2014
Not really, except when they are generally more interested in the points I'm interested in.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 30, 2014 11:16 AM

Jan 2014
No. Cause everyone have own opinion. Someone like that anime and someone dont.
~I am just one sadist who supports friends~
Jan 30, 2014 11:37 AM
May 2013
Yeah, most of the time. If most of the reviews of a particular anime are positive then I see to it that it gets included to my watch list. But sometimes, I don't care about reviews when my gut tells me to watch this or that anime out of sheer curiosity.
Jan 30, 2014 11:50 AM

Feb 2013
Sometimes I do, but that's why I try not to read reviews. Sometimes they put you off and you lose interest in watching a particular anime, only to realise you would have actually liked the series.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jan 30, 2014 11:54 AM

Jan 2014
You must always remember that reviews are subjective.

Taking that into account, as well as along the lines of what Gigguk said in his panel at Alcon 2013 (a good reviewer can communicate to the reader/viewer/listener why they like or dislike something, whilst a greater reviewer can determine why someone else would like/dislike something), I like knowing the opinions of others because it gives me a view of an anime from different perspectives.

I usually try and find reviews on things I've already seen because I prefer discovering something new (to me) through trailers or watching the first episode (although I do understand there are instances where certain anime pick up speed later on).

One situation that could lead to me changing my opinion of an anime is if I see a review of something that I watched years ago (watched Evangelion when I was 12. I was like what is this I don't even) while reviewers base their opinions on their experiences of something they've recently watched or rewatched
Jan 30, 2014 2:14 PM

Sep 2013
Sometimes. If I read a really good review then I'll put it on my plan to watch list. Arpeggio for example, I would never have watched it if there would have been no review of it on the front page of Kotaku.
Jan 30, 2014 5:12 PM
Jan 2014
I read the reviews of others but people have opinions and preferences, a person reviewing a romance anime might be a complete sucker for romance's or a complete hater of it so they might be positively or negatively biased based on that. So it's best to not let that decide wether to watch it... That said it can kinda make me wary if soemthing that sounds totally badass to me gets a 4 out of 10 so it's probably just natural in some capacity :)
Jan 30, 2014 5:20 PM

Oct 2013
They actually do influence me because I can't be bothered watching an anime if it is shit. That is why I read the sypnosis, the wiki articles and reviews before I put an anime on my plan to watch list.
Jan 30, 2014 5:59 PM

Dec 2012
No, because I don't read them.

I enjoy things more when I don't know much about them going in, and I'd rather form my own opinions about stuff anyway. It doesn't really matter to me what random somebody thinks about a series because that person is not me and I don't trust their opinions and judgements.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 30, 2014 6:18 PM
Nov 2012
i hate reading things about anime before and after i watch them because i start thinking 'o right i guess it is bad cause__, o right its good cause ____'

i do get curious what others think tho and inevitably end up coloring my opinion on anime
Jan 30, 2014 8:02 PM

Jan 2014
It depends on their personality, how they convey their message and if they have reasoning behind disliking or liking the anime they're reviewing.

Alot of reviewers I've seen give bullshit reasoning and evidence as to why they consider an anime good or bad (usually when said anime is being reviewed negatively)

"It has bad animation."
"The writing is bad."

Typically what I see from those reviewers I described above, I've seen reviewers on MAL that give horrendous reviews, and I kinda just sit back and think to myself. "We're you even thinking when you wrote this."

I'm only influenced if the person makes an influential review. Otherwise I brush it off.

LuckyKotori said:
He even rated Bible Black higher than Fate/Zero.
Jan 30, 2014 8:13 PM

Mar 2013
I try not too because you might read a review on a anime that says it's bad but in reality could be the best thing in the world.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Jan 30, 2014 10:40 PM

Jan 2011
Locked. This topic has been created several times previously.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » how many of your favorite characters are evil?

deg - May 12

18 by Zedlin »»
3 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 2 hours ago

20 by Zedlin »»
4 minutes ago

» Is the concept of a villain stupid?

Anjuro - 39 minutes ago

5 by Hitagi__Furude »»
6 minutes ago

» Successor to "Isekai"

NostalgiaDrive94 - Yesterday

23 by GalacticMagna »»
22 minutes ago

» Does our opinions of characters reflect how we treat other people?

Zamus_Edits - Yesterday

10 by Lhundrup »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.