Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2013 12:58 AM
Jul 2013
9.18? For real? What's going on? Is the movie that good? Not only is Gintama all over the Top 5, a movie is about to take Rank 1.

What do you think of this, I seriously find it interesting.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 28, 2013 1:08 AM

Jul 2012
The movie was a 10 for me, and a 10 for a lot of others. I don't care if it's ranked first or 1000, it's still a 10, and I don't see why you should care either.

This happens a lot on MAL, things skyrocket and then settle down. Just wait for it to settle down if it really bothers you.
Dec 28, 2013 1:08 AM

Nov 2011
Oh, you just have to create a thread for that, don't you?

The movie is great, if you like the series then you will like the movie as well. If you are unknown to the series and watch the movie, well I don't know how it will go.

#INB4 people being butthurt about ranking

Dec 28, 2013 1:19 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
give it a month so not only the most hardcore fans of the series have seen it and we'll see where it lands, right now it doesn't mean much given the sample size
Dec 28, 2013 1:23 AM

Oct 2013
Lol, trust me, the hype will go way down soon. Just like Attack on Titan, which went from #9 to #11 and is currently still lowering.
Dec 28, 2013 1:34 AM

Oct 2012
Yeah, like some people said, most people that watched the movie already are fans. I consider myself a fan, although I gave it a 9, but this movie is totally worth of the top 10 though.

Not that I'm surprised, it's easy for them to make such an awesome movie because there's no need to character introduction/development, the "stage" is already set, they just needed to make it happen. I just don't agree with people that say they are recommending this movie to get their friends into watching Gintama, I think this movie must be watched at least after completing the first season, but that has nothing to do with the score.
Dec 28, 2013 1:44 AM

Nov 2012
And that comes with that no one expected it to be this good. But a place above Clannad and the actual series is a bit to much. I will probably drop in time. I think it will stay in top 10 though.
Dec 28, 2013 1:44 AM

Oct 2010
KaiserNazrin said:
The movie is great, if you like the series then you will like the movie as well. If you are unknown to the series and watch the movie, well I don't know how it will go
I don't think you will get most of the jokes.
Dec 28, 2013 2:18 AM

Dec 2011
I think it's funny how just 5 hrs ago it was number five and now almost one ahaha but it's not really from rating or anything just from the surplus of fans just now watching it because the subs are finally out.. I've seen series withy just as high scores really low on list because they aren't as well known.. Give it time and just as everything else it will go down but I don't think it will go down a ton since it was an extremely good movie..

The movie was great but I don't recommend watching it if you aren't familiar withy the show and the characters since that's what sets everything up for the movie you'll miss out on a ton if you watch the movie before the series.
Dec 28, 2013 2:44 AM
Apr 2011
god that was a great movie. I just finished watching it and had to check the rank after i saw it had over 9 and was surprised to see it at rank number 2.

I really hope this isnt the end to gintama because its just such an awesome series and watching it animated i find to be a lot more entertaining then the reading the manga (im not saying the manga is bad i love that to)
Dec 28, 2013 2:48 AM

Feb 2011
Mr7Beans said:
Ratings will drop after a while, just like Shingeki, Kuroko and Gintama': Enchousen.
This. Although I wouldn't mind this movie being #1, because it's fucking amazing.
Dec 28, 2013 2:51 AM

Sep 2012
As big of a fan of Gintama as I am (rated movie 9, Enchousen and the original a 9, Gintama' a 10) I really don't think it deserves top spot. Hoping it drops a bit.
Dec 28, 2013 3:41 AM

Mar 2010
This always happens lol,
Even if there's a new season it will be #1 again.
Dec 28, 2013 3:51 AM

Jun 2012
I'd put it right above enchousen and right behind the first 2 series, gave it a 9/10.
That aside, why are you making a thread on a movie you haven't even watched? Why question the validity of something you've yet to take part in.
Dec 28, 2013 3:55 AM

Dec 2012
That is just how it works. It is all about popularity. Even Steins;Gate movie according to most of the MAL users is better than Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Sword of the Stranger, & Time of Eve movie.
I like anime.
Dec 28, 2013 4:34 AM

Oct 2012
Gintama has always been rated exceptionally high, when enchousen came out it was #1 if i recall for a short while before dropping a fair bit. Though the movie is extremely good but I wouldn't put things like Steins;Gate, FMA and whatnot below it.
Dec 28, 2013 4:42 AM

Nov 2011
Pat_To_Do-List said:
That is just how it works. It is all about popularity. Even Steins;Gate movie according to most of the MAL users is better than Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Sword of the Stranger, & Time of Eve movie.

Are you saying Steins Gate Movie is more popular than those movie? Because I don't think so. Its all about rating MAL users gave. Unpopular series get low amount of users that vote for it but if all those users rated it high then it can still rank quite high.

Compare the amount of members that watched Gintama series and amount of members that watched other series that are also in the top ranking. Gintama have waaaay lower amount(it work to its advantage since only haters will bother to rate it low and their numbers aren't big).

The more popular the series, the more chance for people to rate it but the rating feature can go for them or against them.

tl;dr

A series can rank high even if its not that popular just as long as there are enough people that rate it high. A popular series won't get far if many people give it 1/10 rating.

BTW this is all based on my observation, I got no idea if that's really how it work. Lel.
Kaiser-chanDec 28, 2013 4:50 AM

Dec 28, 2013 4:50 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:

Are you saying Steins Gate Movie is more popular than those movie? Because I don't think so. Its all about rating MAL users gave. Unpopular series get low amount of users that vote for it but if all those users rated it high then it can still rank quite high.

Compare the amount of members that watched Gintama series and amount of members that watched other series that are also in the top ranking. Gintama have waaaay lower amount(it work to its advantage since only haters will bother to rate it low and their numbers aren't big).

The more popular the series, the more chance for people to rate it but the rating feature can go for them or against them.

tl;dr

A series can rank high even if its not that popular just as long as there are enough people that rate it high. A popular series won't get far if many people give it 1/10 rating.
also you need to have watched a lot of episodes to even start the latter seasons, meaning the biggest haters will already have dropped it a long time ago, so you get kind of a default overrating from that alone
Dec 28, 2013 4:53 AM

Apr 2009
This isn't really a fair comparison. People who watch this movie are likely those who are already fans of Gintama to begin with. Naturally, the scores are going to be high since it's more likely to be voted only by those who like it.
Dec 28, 2013 5:04 AM
Dec 2013
Yep, Since Gintama fans have been anticipating this movie for a long time, They surely will watch it firsthand and rate it as a 10 (Mostly)
Later, Many will join up, Fans and Non-Fans, Of course, Haters included
So, It's not surprising that it has got a high ranking at first, Cause it surely will drop later
Dec 28, 2013 5:15 AM

Sep 2011
Kavierz said:
Yep, Since Gintama fans have been anticipating this movie for a long time, They surely will watch it firsthand and rate it as a 10 (Mostly)
Later, Many will join up, Fans and Non-Fans, Of course, Haters included
So, It's not surprising that it has got a high ranking at first, Cause it surely will drop later

Pretty much. Same thing happened w/ Steins;gate but on a smaller scale. Though, the Gintama fanbase on MAL isn't as big as Steins;gate, etc; since it's a longer series.

HaXXspetten said:
KaiserNazrin said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:

tl;dr

also you need to have watched a lot of episodes to even start the latter seasons, meaning the biggest haters will already have dropped it a long time ago, so you get kind of a default overrating from that alone

I've seen tons and tons of people who have watched like 40-50 of the first season and end up dropping it and then rating it say... 2-5. Then they do the same to the other seasons. Like????????????????? Drop the first season, so you automatically hate on the second season and decide to auto give it a low score. This works on lots of other shows too, but not that many since not many shows that are popular have sequels.
TyrelDec 28, 2013 5:18 AM
Dec 28, 2013 5:30 AM

Jan 2013
It happened with the series too,but then the "troll" accounts came in and ranked it at 1 and FMA:B at 10 just to change it.
Dec 28, 2013 5:32 AM

Oct 2012
Even though i like gintama but i fell so bad to other series... XD

Dec 28, 2013 6:26 AM

Jul 2007
Ahh this ranking is worthless... you know the only reason Gintama doesn't take all the 1-5 spots is because of the butthurt trolls who lowered the scores. As for this movie, I'd give it more than 10 if I could... I've watched it 7 times in the cinema and it was amazing every time!
myth720Dec 28, 2013 11:33 PM
Dec 28, 2013 8:35 AM

Oct 2012
Every single one of these series have meaningless ratings honestly.

If you enjoyed it, give it the score you think it deserves. Who cares about its sitewide ranking? You don't represent the entire population, and neither does the entire population represent you.

So, cut with the bullshit about ratings, ranks, etc.
Dec 28, 2013 8:37 AM

Feb 2013
The movie it's a masterpiece, it's weird if you don't give it a 10.
Dec 28, 2013 8:59 AM

Nov 2010
vld said:
It happened with the series too,but then the "troll" accounts came in and ranked it at 1 and FMA:B at 10 just to change it.

It's only Gintama and LOGH fans that think it's only the troll accounts that lower the ratings. Who gives a shit about trends, popularity, fans watching it first and people less enthusiastic watching it later, too high of hopes, etc.
Dec 28, 2013 9:06 AM

Jul 2013
Why is there always a fucking thread complaining about rankings :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2013 9:08 AM

Apr 2011
Relax, fanboys will chill out and the score will get normal. it's obvious all of the Gintamas have their score way too high, but still that's what you get with loads of fanboys and no haters (cause nobody cares enough bout this..).
Dec 28, 2013 9:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Dec 28, 2013 9:18 AM

Sep 2011
Homm said:
Relax, fanboys will chill out and the score will get normal. it's obvious all of the Gintamas have their score way too high, but still that's what you get with loads of fanboys and no haters (cause nobody cares enough bout this..).
gintama has "haters", its just the series is ridiculously long that aside from a few masochists they dont watch it far enough for their score to really count

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 28, 2013 9:23 AM
Aug 2011
Huge_Ego said:

because the OP is a bottom feeder who likes to feed from the lowest depth of the excrement barrel

Oh my bad, apparently they "seriously find it interesting". Right.
Dec 28, 2013 9:25 AM

Apr 2011
NotJizzyHitler said:
Homm said:
gintama has "haters", its just the series is ridiculously long that aside from a few masochists they dont watch it far enough for their score to really count

I tried, really tried, dropped somewhere around 140 because it was crap. Still gave it a 3 because NO ANIME is bad enough for 1 (waving hand to tards giving 1 just because "fck that anime, I don't care"). But I will never accept this is a 10 material..
Dec 28, 2013 9:26 AM

Nov 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
Homm said:
Yea man, after around episode 20-30 or so There are no episodes i wouldn't rate a 9-10 (mostly 10) You know how hard it is to make 250 episodes without a single slippery? Also with just fanboying alone you can't go this high in the MAL ranking. Gintama is good in so many aspects. If it really was all about popularity Naruto and animes like that would be rated much higher.
Dec 28, 2013 9:27 AM

Sep 2011
Homm said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
Homm said:

I tried, really tried, dropped somewhere around 140 because it was crap. Still gave it a 3 because NO ANIME is bad enough for 1 (waving hand to tards giving 1 just because "fck that anime, I don't care"). But I will never accept this is a 10 material..
its called varying tastes, gintama isnt for everyone just like everything in existence, You dont need to accept its a 10, there isnt some mystical force that determines everything's true quality ranking that we must abide by

johnyjohny said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
Homm said:
Yea man, after around episode 20-30 or so There no episodes i wouldn't rate a 9-10 (mostly 10) You know how hard it is to make 250 episodes with a single slippery? Also with just fanboying alone you can't go this high in the MAL ranking. Gintama is good in so many aspects. If it really was all about popularity Naruto and animes like that would be rated much higher.
As a die hard fan of gintama i couldnt disagree more with the no episodes i wouldnt rate 10 after ep 30, there were still off episodes and even then during some of the hits they were just kind of funny

and with fanboying alone does get it this high on mal, because only fan's votes really count due to mal's ranking filter, i personally dont give a shit because id rather listen to people who actually finished the show to determine the score than someone that hasnt, but gintama is up there unfairly.....but so is FMA:B lotgh, Clannad AS, and code geass R2 since they all require shows before them or are long in and of themselves getting an automatic handicap
JizzyHitlerDec 28, 2013 9:32 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 28, 2013 9:42 AM

Jul 2013
parfaited said:
Huge_Ego said:

because the OP is a bottom feeder who likes to feed from the lowest depth of the excrement barrel

I guess it is really hard for people to realize that rankings matter little in anything except pleasing the fans.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2013 9:45 AM

Sep 2011
Huge_Ego said:
parfaited said:
Huge_Ego said:

I guess it is really hard for people to realize that rankings matter little in anything except pleasing the fans.
or making other fans angry because another series manage to be 1/100th higher in the rating than the other

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 9:47 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
Homm said:
its called varying tastes, gintama isnt for everyone just like everything in existence, You dont need to accept its a 10, there isnt some mystical force that determines everything's true quality ranking that we must abide by

johnyjohny said:
As a die hard fan of gintama i couldnt disagree more with the no episodes i wouldnt rate 10 after ep 30, there were still off episodes and even then during some of the hits they were just kind of funny

and with fanboying alone does get it this high on mal, because only fan's votes really count due to mal's ranking filter, i personally dont give a shit because id rather listen to people who actually finished the show to determine the score than someone that hasnt, but gintama is up there unfairly.....but so is FMA:B lotgh, Clannad AS, and code geass R2 since they all require shows before them or are long in and of themselves getting an automatic handicap
in other words everything in the top is overrated except for Steins :>

Mod Edit: Quote tower put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongDec 28, 2013 11:01 AM
Dec 28, 2013 9:50 AM

Nov 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
Homm said:

johnyjohny said:

Than which anime you think deserve to be in the top 10?

Mod Edit: Quote tower put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongDec 28, 2013 11:02 AM
Dec 28, 2013 9:50 AM

Sep 2011
HaXXspetten said:

essentially yah, regardless of their quality they get a handicap due to mal's filter system

johnyjohny said:
I dont think anything deserves or doesnt deserve being in the top 10, im just stating a fact that alot of the top 10 get handicaps.

Mod Edit: Quote tower modified and double post merged.
ThangLongDec 28, 2013 11:04 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 9:55 AM

Nov 2010
NotJizzyHitler said:
essentially yah, regardless of their quality they get a handicap due to mal's filter system
In that case everything has a handicap, even shorter shows. Not only because of the way they're scored(why doesn't popularity count?) but in the way they're made, advertised, etc. And I believe MAL's rules were made to protect against handicaps, if someone was able to watch one episode of a 100+ episode show and have their score count the same as someone who's completed all of it then that would be bullshit.
But there is no defaultly right way of scoring so technically nothing is overrated or underrated due to it.
Dec 28, 2013 9:55 AM

Jul 2011
Just to bring up the point, but the first season of Gintama (1-201) is already in the top 10 anyway.
Even Death has a heart
It's okay to spin around and around in the same place. Just so long as you're singing your heart out.
THAT's what life's all about.

Dec 28, 2013 9:57 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Shifo-Chan said:
Just to bring up the point, but the first season of Gintama (1-201) is already in the top 10 anyway.
even so you need to have watched 41 episodes for your vote to count, which is still quite a lot for someone who didn't like it at all from the very beginning
Dec 28, 2013 9:58 AM

Sep 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
In that case everything has a handicap, even shorter shows. Not only because of the way they're scored(why doesn't popularity count?) but in the way they're made, advertised, etc. And I believe MAL's rules were made to protect against handicaps, if someone was able to watch one episode of a 100+ episode show and have their score count the same as someone who's completed all of it then that would be bullshit.
oh no i agree, im not complaining about it id rather limit the score only being affected by people that actually watch the shows, but when it comes to longer series its automatically going to make it rated much higher even for people that have watched a decent amount into it and disliked it for valid reasons,, its a small hiccup in what i consider to be a more just rating system than just rough mean scores

I also wouldnt say the movies get handicaps at all, if anything they get it the worst since you can just sit down and watch it in one go with people rarely dropping them since they are so short

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 10:02 AM

Apr 2011
johnyjohny said:

Kiss x Sis cause ecchi ftw!
But seriously, I think FMA:B deserves the 1st place just for epicness, as I would place TTGL at 2. As for Steins and Clannad I didn't watch it yet (soon.. soon..) so no idea here, but Gintamas, Code Geass, Shingeki (the last too were really good, but not that good) are too high for me. Same with Death Note for eg, but still I can accept the 400k votes that made it so high, even if for me it was a 7 max..

Mod Edit: Quote tower modified.
ThangLongDec 28, 2013 11:06 AM
Dec 28, 2013 10:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
IntroverTurtle said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
oh no i agree, im not complaining about it id rather limit the score only being affected by people that actually watch the shows, but when it comes to longer series its automatically going to make it rated much higher even for people that have watched a decent amount into it and disliked it for valid reasons,, its a small hiccup in what i consider to be a more just rating system than just rough mean scores

I also wouldnt say the movies get handicaps at all, if anything they get it the worst since you can just sit down and watch it in one go with people rarely dropping them since they are so short
yeah single movies/ovas (that don't have any prequels or anything) are the only thing that will be somewhat accurately rated in reality

the day that One Piece ends is when the scoring system will get completely fucked over once and for all (9.30? 9.40? who knows lol)
Dec 28, 2013 10:04 AM

Sep 2011
^ 9.30? hell I always pictured more along the lines of ike 9.60+ if not just pull something like that episode of breaking bad thats like the only thing on imdb to get a 10/10 and be the only anime on mal to have a 10 mean score, that'd be so funny to see how pissed people would be

i think HunterxHunter will get #1 soon when it ends, or at least really high in the top 10

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 11:07 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 10:06 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
^ well it's still a long-running shounen so there's bound to be a ton of people downvoting it just because they can so I don't have a clue, but the sky's the limit

and yeah HxH 2011 should also end pretty damn high most likely

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 11:08 AM
Dec 28, 2013 10:06 AM

Apr 2011
NotJizzyHitler said:
9.30? hell I always pictured more along the lines of ike 9.60+ if not just pull something like that episode of breaking bad thats like the only thing on imdb to get a 10/10 and be the only anime on mal to have a 10 mean score, that'd be so funny to see how pissed people would be

i think HunterxHunter will get #1 soon when it ends, or at least really high in the top 10

How is any of those two that good? (in overall, cause NOT only good eps count). Anyway I doubt it - they both got too many hater that will rate 1 just for the sake of it.

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 11:11 AM
Dec 28, 2013 10:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Homm said:
How is any of those two that good? (in overall, cause NOT only good eps count). Anyway I doubt it - they both got too many hater that will rate 1 just for the sake of it.
it's simply a matter of length, let's say One Piece will have 1000 eps when it's done, that'd mean you'd need to have watched 200 eps for your vote to even be counted, and given the score it already has despite being currently airing (20% rule ignored) and the amount of people having it as 10s and in their favorites, it'll get massively inflated the second it finishes, and also there might still be some epic climax to come etc

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 11:12 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama: Kanketsu-hen - Yorozuya yo Eien Nare Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

myth720 - Jul 6, 2013

418 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Jan 15, 4:05 AM

» THE BEST Movie of Anime of ALL TIME?!?!?!

Usopp8000 - Mar 11, 2016

30 by Volt10 »»
Apr 7, 2022 2:40 AM

» When should I watch this ?

Praveen1114 - Sep 2, 2021

10 by Ronin74 »»
Oct 2, 2021 11:57 PM

» why hasn't this been licensed by anyone

NG_Chloe - May 3, 2020

2 by Zura97 »»
Apr 8, 2021 2:18 PM

» Question about ending*spoilers*

Josh15 - Jul 3, 2014

12 by Ronin74 »»
Mar 3, 2021 9:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.