Forum Settings
Forums

IDEA: Romantic slice-of-life tragedy Anime involving an elderly couple

New
Nov 2, 2013 7:40 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
There aren't many topics Anime and manga hasn't touched, but there is one that remains oddly untouched: A tragic romance about an elderly couple. We have tragic romantic anime involving young lovers like Clannad: After Story and Kanon(2006) but nobody has touched one about an elderly couple. It is long overdue. It would be a great idea to make an Anime like that. Enlist the help of Jun Maeda, the master of tragedy, and put something together! It should be a tragic but romantic slice-of-life. Not an ultra slow one like K-on that makes zero progress but one like Clannad. We want progress! GET TO THE POINT, ya know? I know some people in the industry(Jun isn't one though) so maybe I can pitch that idea to them. Anybody find my idea to be a good one? If you aren't sold, Youtube: "couple married 72 years dies holding hands" and click the video by KCCI. That should sell it to you.
Nov 2, 2013 7:46 PM

Sep 2013
I'd rather see something with age progress than them starting off elderly. But otherwise i'm all up for it. Doesn't have to be that tragic though.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Nov 2, 2013 7:48 PM

Nov 2010
Furiko and Tsumiki no Ie are kind of like that.
Nov 2, 2013 7:54 PM

Jan 2011
the only one i can think of is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcUUuCrTSgg

an by the way Clannad wasnt tragic
Nov 2, 2013 8:02 PM

Jul 2013
This is just too scary of a task to approach, the target audience isn't elderly and it wouldnt be relatable, this would be OK if it started at the age of 30 or in high school and progressed into their elderly lives but even then,not much room for mistakes.
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Nov 2, 2013 8:08 PM

Feb 2008
It would instantly bomb in Japan. What otaku in their right mind would even watch an abomination like that?
Nov 2, 2013 8:13 PM

Sep 2011
silversaint said:

Just because you didn't like it... doesn't mean it wasn't tragic.

There are many different definitions of tragedy. One does not NEED to have a tragic end to be a tragedy.
Nov 2, 2013 8:16 PM

Jan 2010
I would sure as hell watch it, but I just have no idea how it could be marketed. Then again, Pixar's Up was really good, so who knows.
Nov 2, 2013 8:16 PM

Apr 2012
Melodramatic with elderly couple? Fuck that sounds like the worst thing ever. Im all up for it if its NOT melodrama bullshit. Sorry but at that age there is no place for melodramatic and highly emotional stuff. If its done it sould be done in a more than mature way. Seeing the old people crying around like a bunch of teenagers would be just totally awkward.
Nov 2, 2013 8:22 PM

Sep 2011
baki502 said:
Melodramatic with elderly couple? Fuck that sounds like the worst thing ever. Im all up for it if its NOT melodrama bullshit. Sorry but at that age there is no place for melodramatic and highly emotional stuff. If its done it sould be done in a more than mature way. Seeing the old people crying around like a bunch of teenagers would be just totally awkward.

If anything, it would be more meaningful than seeing a bunch of high school kids crying.
Nov 2, 2013 8:34 PM

Apr 2012
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:

If anything, it would be more meaningful than seeing a bunch of high school kids crying.

No old people crying over the same problems as high school kids do? Thats just weird. And even if one person is to die for example I think an old person would react different then say the MC in Clannad did. Old people are more prepared for death I dont think they would be screaming loudly in pain or something with melodramatic scenes.

Id imagine more something like the woman for example passing away in the embrace of her man, while theyre both remembering the warm memories they spend togheter. Still pretty damn touching but not melodramatic, I really dont think melodrama works with elderly people.
Nov 2, 2013 8:51 PM

Sep 2011
baki502 said:
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:

No old people crying over the same problems as high school kids do? Thats just weird. And even if one person is to die for example I think an old person would react different then say the MC in Clannad did. Old people are more prepared for death I dont think they would be screaming loudly in pain or something with melodramatic scenes.

Id imagine more something like the woman for example passing away in the embrace of her man, while theyre both remembering the warm memories they spend togheter. Still pretty damn touching but not melodramatic, I really dont think melodrama works with elderly people.

Where did OP say they would have the same problems as high school kids? He clearly says we have tragic anime LIKE Clannad and Kanon 2006, and then follows up by saying no one has touched up on a tragedy about an elderly couple. For all we know it could be the most in-depth anime of all time. It could also have that scene you envisioned, who knows!?

And why would it be more meaningful? Well because... just like you said, high school kids cry all the time, hence the melodrama bullshit, but adults would handle themselves a lot differently. If they were to cry, what would that mean? I wouldn't know, because I don't know what the OP is thinking, but what I can tell you is that it must have been something EXTREMELY tragic and meaningful.
Nov 2, 2013 8:56 PM

Apr 2012
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:

Where did OP say they would have the same problems as high school kids? He clearly says we have tragic anime LIKE Clannad and Kanon 2006, and then follows up by saying no one has touched up on a tragedy about an elderly couple. For all we know it could be the most in-depth anime of all time. It could also have that scene you envisioned, who knows!?

And why would it be more meaningful? Well because... just like you said, high school kids cry all the time, hence the melodrama bullshit, but adults would handle themselves a lot differently. If they were to cry, what would that mean? I wouldn't know, because I don't know what the OP is thinking, but what I can tell you is that it must have been something EXTREMELY tragic.

He did say Clannad, and while Clannad is kind of tragic it is especially because theyre young. And still Clannad is done quite over melodramatic, the way the anime is made is melodramatic. Take for example Okami kodomo no ame something, it also involved death and was quite tragic, but it wasnt done in a melodramatic way.

And lets be honest you could hardly translate Clannad to an anime with older people, I mean who could take the anime serious if the MC cried his eyes out while extremely dramatic music played in the background, because his 90 year old wife, that had cancer for the last 5 years died.
Duh.
Nov 2, 2013 8:58 PM

Sep 2012
Old lady panty shots is all I can think of.
Nov 2, 2013 8:59 PM

Jul 2013
Shiratori99 said:
I'd rather see something with age progress than them starting off elderly. But otherwise i'm all up for it. Doesn't have to be that tragic though.
Nov 2, 2013 9:01 PM

Dec 2012
I'm sure there is a manga that involves that out there, there is too many topics that have been covered by manga, ones that I'm sure you wouldn't even think off or cross your mind.
Nov 2, 2013 9:04 PM

Apr 2012
tsudecimo said:
I'm sure there is a manga that involves that out there, there is too many topics that have been covered by manga, ones that I'm sure you wouldn't even think off or cross your mind.

Spider futanari woman falling in love with an tentaclemonkeybaby and trying to live with the bullying by the firefly society because she is babycon.

Now show me a manga that has done that.
Nov 2, 2013 9:05 PM

Sep 2011
baki502 said:
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:

And why would it be more meaningful? Well because... just like you said, high school kids cry all the time, hence the melodrama bullshit, but adults would handle themselves a lot differently. If they were to cry, what would that mean? I wouldn't know, because I don't know what the OP is thinking, but what I can tell you is that it must have been something EXTREMELY tragic.

He did say Clannad, and while Clannad is kind of tragic it is especially because theyre young. And still Clannad is done quite over melodramatic, the way the anime is made is melodramatic. Take for example Okami kodomo no ame something, it also involved death and was quite tragic, but it wasnt done in a melodramatic way.

And lets be honest you could hardly translate Clannad to an anime with older people, I mean who could take the anime serious if the MC cried his eyes out while extremely dramatic music played in the background, because his 90 year old wife, that had cancer for the last 5 years died.
Duh.

"We have tragic romantic anime involving young lovers like Clannad: After Story and Kanon(2006) but nobody has touched one about an elderly couple."

Like I said, the OP said we have tragic anime LIKE Clannad, but never clearly said it was going to be just like Clannad. Hes giving an example of a tragic series, which has nothing to do with what he is thinking for this hypothetical series.

He goes on to say this:
"Not an ultra slow one like K-on that makes zero progress but one like Clannad. We want progress!"

Again, hes talking about progress, but never mentioned anything about high school drama etc.
Nov 2, 2013 9:08 PM

Apr 2012
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:

Duh.

"We have tragic romantic anime involving young lovers like Clannad: After Story and Kanon(2006) but nobody has touched one about an elderly couple."

Like I said, the OP said we have tragic anime LIKE Clannad, but never clearly said it was going to be just like Clannad. Hes giving an example of a tragic series, which has nothing to do with what he is thinking for this hypothetical series.

He goes on to say this:
"Not an ultra slow one like K-on that makes zero progress but one like Clannad. We want progress!"

Again, hes talking about progress, but never mentioned anything about high school drama etc.

It doesnt need to be Highschool drama I just said that the style of clannad doesnt work with an elderly couple. Melodrama simply doesnt really work with old people. Clannad is more or less a schock-drama type of anime, with old people I think you cant do that really. Cause everyone is expecting them to die sooner rather than later so wtf are you supposed to make dramatic? I think its more fitting for something bitter-sweet.
Nov 2, 2013 9:19 PM

Sep 2011
baki502 said:
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:
OriginANIME said:
baki502 said:

Duh.

He goes on to say this:

It doesnt need to be Highschool drama I just said that the style of clannad doesnt work with an elderly couple. Melodrama simply doesnt really work with old people. Clannad is more or less a schock-drama type of anime, with old people I think you cant do that really. Cause everyone is expecting them to die sooner rather than later so wtf are you supposed to make dramatic? I think its more fitting for something bitter-sweet.

I agree with you, Clannad style doesn't work with an elderly couple, but he never said its going to be like Clannad... he was giving an example. Also, bittersweet could also still be considered tragic, which is what the OP was talking about. A romantic slice of life tragic anime involving a elderly couple...

For all we know the kids in the anime could be the ones crying. Doesn't necessarily mean the adults have to be the ones crying. (hypothetically speaking)
Nov 2, 2013 10:43 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
silversaint said:

Yes actually, it was tragic. Some of us like Anime with a deep meaningful story and Clannad/AS fits that description. Sorry that it didn't have any meaningless violence, panty shots, or explosions but I'd say an Anime containing death, someone's life after a death of a loved one...and more death is pretty tragic. Not to mention the fact that, unlike a super majority of romantic anime, Clannad/AS provides us the love life of the characters AFTER the confession. No other Anime has dared to do it because cliche sells...or so everybody but Jun Maeda thought. Your appalling near unintelligent taste in Anime isn't my problem, but Clannad was far superior to any Anime there is...PEROID. I rest my case and I yield the floor. Good day.
Nov 2, 2013 10:50 PM

Apr 2007
What you're describing sounds exactly like the movie Amour, directed by Michael Haneke. I just can't imagine an anime like it.

Lolicon said:
silversaint said:

Yes actually, it was tragic. Some of us like Anime with a deep meaningful story and Clannad/AS fits that description. Sorry that it didn't have any meaningless violence, panty shots, or explosions but I'd say an Anime containing death, someone's life after a death of a loved one...and more death is pretty tragic. Not to mention the fact that, unlike a super majority of romantic anime, Clannad/AS provides us the love life of the characters AFTER the confession. No other Anime has dared to do it because cliche sells...or so everybody but Jun Maeda thought. Your appalling near unintelligent taste in Anime isn't my problem, but Clannad was far superior to any Anime there is...PEROID. I rest my case and I yield the floor. Good day.

I think what they meant is that Clannad isn't tragic because it has a happy ending. Chill.
Nov 2, 2013 11:08 PM

Jan 2011
Lolicon said:

Yes actually, it was tragic. Some of us like Anime with a deep meaningful story and Clannad/AS fits that description. Sorry that it didn't have any meaningless violence, panty shots, or explosions

OMG i am overwhelmed by your superior intellect

Lolicon said:

but I'd say an Anime containing death, someone's life after a death of a loved one...and more death is pretty tragic.

sure death an

Lolicon said:
No other Anime has dared to do it because cliche sells...or so everybody but Jun Maeda thought. Your appalling near unintelligent taste in Anime isn't my problem, but Clannad was far superior to any Anime there is...PEROID. I rest my case and I yield the floor. Good day.

you know this anime from the 80s called Legend of the Galactic Heroes? it did the same years before the OMG BEST ANIMU EVAR CLANNAD
Nov 2, 2013 11:16 PM
Jul 2013
How many ideas from the West are going to be actually taken into consideration?

How about we make an anime about The Most Interesting Man in the World, shall we?
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Nov 2, 2013 11:18 PM

Sep 2012
BasedToki said:
None.

Which is why people should attempt to write out their ideas themselves! And then "publish" it here.
Nov 2, 2013 11:18 PM

Apr 2007
BasedToki said:

How about we make an anime about The Most Interesting Man in the World, shall we?

I'd watch the shit out of that
Nov 2, 2013 11:20 PM
Jul 2013
ona said:
BasedToki said:

Great, because you'd actually be watching my own anime adaptation.
That's right, I am Jonathan Goldsmith. Bow down to me, pleb.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Nov 2, 2013 11:46 PM

Dec 2012
Closest thing I can think of to this that exists is Rurouni Kenshin: Reflections.

As for the idea itself, I'd love to see something that uses the Saving Private Ryan kind of set up - showing us the old couple, going back to their days of youth, and then returning to their present day, showing us the effects of everything that's happened. For example, the old man was a war vet who was changed during a gruesome campaign that he was part of.

I don't even know, all chicken scratch random as hell ideas that popped into my head.
Nov 2, 2013 11:53 PM
Feb 2013
i wanna see a tsundere elder
Nov 3, 2013 12:43 AM

Nov 2012
In other words like the Pixar movie "Up" but the characters drawn with animuuu eyes?
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Nov 3, 2013 1:02 AM

Mar 2013
To the guy/gal that created this thread, watch "When The Wind Blows". I give up on trying to get the damn youtube vid in here, just know I tried xD
It's not anime but it is animation, don't be fooled by the live action opening sequence. Anyway ya that might interest you.
CharlesTheWiseNov 3, 2013 1:21 AM
Nov 3, 2013 1:55 AM

Apr 2012
BasedToki said:
ona said:
BasedToki said:

Great, because you'd actually be watching my own anime adaptation.
That's right, I am Jonathan Goldsmith. Bow down to me, pleb.

Who the fuck is Jonathan Goldsmith?

More topics from this board

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

72 by MadanielFL »»
3 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

40 by Kruszer »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by AzafuseKingTora »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

52 by Lucifrost »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

49 by Ratris_Decision »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.