Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 29, 2013 12:50 AM

Sep 2011
EnduringInsanity said:
Watched the first few episodes, never saw what all the hype was about. Might give it another shot later on. The biggest turn off for me is that length and the amount of remakes or ever the fuck all the other things are.

Remakes? Gintama hasn't been remaked and you need to watch a good amount into Gintama to get into the good arcs.
Dec 29, 2013 1:39 AM
Aug 2011
ur a bunny_hater instead of a lover

EnduringInsanity said:
Watched the first few episodes, never saw what all the hype was about. Might give it another shot later on. The biggest turn off for me is that length and the amount of remakes or ever the fuck all the other things are.

Lol they aren't remakes.
They are continuations, get your shit together Kyon!
Dec 29, 2013 1:50 AM

Mar 2008
Once the Gintama are mass produced, we'll put an end to MAL's top anime opinions in no time!
Dec 29, 2013 2:15 AM

Nov 2012
Ckan said:
Once the Gintama are mass produced, we'll put an end to MAL's top anime opinions in no time!
Your avatar completely fits your personality.
Dec 29, 2013 2:20 AM

Oct 2013
bunny_lover said:
First, I proclaim that I have never watched Gintama, so I don't know what kind of a show it is. However, it seems a bit much that 4 Gintama shows reside in MAL's top 7 anime shows. Smells like fanboyism to me.

Your opinion?
Simple
Because it was good
Dec 29, 2013 3:56 AM

May 2012
I just wanna say that I could care less about top rankings, it doesn't (and shouldn't) hurt my enjoyment of any given show, but if it gets more people talking about Gintama, then that's a good thing. It could use some well deserved exposure OUTSIDE of Japan where it is so very popular. Elsewhere though? Sadly, not so much...

On topic: it's not like EVERY Gintama related thing is in the top 10 anyway: there are OVAs, specials and even the first movie, all of which are no where near it. No one here are biased assholes. If Gintama does something incredible then it should get a 10, just like any other show. If it just does something great, then a 9 or an 8. Just like any other show. Though i do have a hard time giving Gintama anything less than a 9 so... I'm probably bit of a biased asshole lol

But to anyone complaining about newcomers coming to see the top ranked animes; you do know that the list continues for quite a while, right? Way past Top 100 anyway. Just scroll down a bit... Ta-da! Unless you're new to "top" lists, as well as animes, then it should be no problem. It's the same thing with foreign films hogging up the top rankings on sites such as Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes - Movies that few people have seen but completely fell in love with, giving them perfect scores.

And if you want Gintama to be combined into one series, well i can see the point in that, but then what about all the other split up shows? And how do you differentiate between a second season and a sequel series, or are they the same? Remembering what happened with the English-to-Japanese conversion, it's all about consistency with MAL so i doubt they can make exceptions like this.

TL;DR - Gintama is a great series and i hope you'll all check it out :D
who_dat_ninjaDec 29, 2013 4:33 AM
Dec 29, 2013 4:10 AM

Mar 2013
I'm really starting to think that those people who hate Gintama simply don't get shit about the humor. Well for one thing, it was solely catered for japanese fans, hence the references and parodies in regards to their culture. I mean you can't simply hate on something that you don't even understand. In fact, ever since I started watching the series back in 2011, at the back of my head I've always been judging anyone's taste in anime because of this show. If you love this anime then you appreciate a damn good anime, it's that simple.
Dec 29, 2013 4:16 AM
Jul 2018
AngrySashimi said:
I'm really starting to think that those people who hate Gintama simply don't get shit about the humor. Well for one thing, it was solely catered for japanese fans, hence the references and parodies in regards to their culture. I mean you can't simply hate on something that you don't even understand. In fact, ever since I started watching the series back in 2011, at the back of my head I've always been judging anyone's taste in anime because of this show. If you love this anime then you appreciate a damn good anime, it's that simple.
People who don't like it just don't get it. Cool.
Dec 29, 2013 4:21 AM

May 2013
I see a lot of you hating on this without even having it on your lists (which leads me to assume you haven't seen it). That is very silly. Even an episode or 2 is enough, but to have seen none of it and judging it is silly.

Of course, it is currently absent from my list too, but I have seen 3 episodes. I was just confused as to what score I should currently give it, and I don't leave things unscored for the most part.
Dec 29, 2013 4:28 AM

Jun 2012
Y'all Not even wrong.

I'm not buying your bullshit.
Dec 29, 2013 4:39 AM

Jul 2012
bunny_lover said:
First, I proclaim that I have never watched Gintama, so I don't know what kind of a show it is. However, it seems a bit much that 4 Gintama shows reside in MAL's top 7 anime shows. Smells like fanboyism to me.

U mad Bro??
MangaList | AnimeList
"I don't enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it's just a chore, like any other." -Joshua Graham
Dec 29, 2013 5:07 AM

Jun 2009
AngrySashimi said:

Listen to this guy, he knows his stuff.
Dec 29, 2013 8:16 AM

Sep 2011
grandy_UiD said:
AngrySashimi said:

No he doesnt, at all, hes wrong on so many levels

Gintama for starters isnt reliant on solely japanese humor, at the start there were more than alot of references to japanese culture but as it goes on its more about regular casts and stories and even when its referencing its not solely referential humor but how they use it for humor making it entertaining even if you dont know where its coming from, and even then it references a ton of stuff outside the japanese culture, star wars, beverly hills cop, jackie chan movies, fucking obama, brooklyn gangs, and so many more. You dont need to understand the parodies that slowly fade to nothingness as the series progresses to like the humor and even then that argument is completly devoid of logic since rumbel subs explains the references. Its amazing how someone trying to defend this show and down those that done enjoy it cant even understand the show hes defending

The worst aspect of that comment was the part on judging someone taste for not liking gintama, to which i say you give every gintama fan a bad name, Its completely understandable why people wouldnt like this series, hell theres tons, Its immature when people prefer dry mature humor, its over the top when someone may prefer more clever grounded humor, its pacing is slow, it never stops having dud episodes, and so on and son not even getting into the subjective aspects like not caring for the characters or disliking the pace

Judging one for not liking gintama is nothing short of fucking moronic and by saying so only make us gintama fans look like delusional assholes, you are wrong on so many levels and the fact that you act like your above others because of it is downright laughable
JizzyHitlerDec 29, 2013 8:21 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 29, 2013 8:32 AM
Aug 2013
shut up all

This is turned to a complain thread. No discussion happening here.

sorry for my language
Dec 29, 2013 8:45 AM

Oct 2013
It's a famous anime and has lots of eps so sure it will be in the top10 because mainly the 10 their self most likely the ones with +200 eps.
Dec 29, 2013 10:32 AM

Aug 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
3rd thread today of the same thing

Litrydow said:
IMO, Gintama is the best thing since sliced bread and it will take over the world.
gintama is far from the best comedy, tsui no sora runs circles around it, why is that not in the top 10, fucking plebs cant understand art
Yeah! If people knew anything about art, Inferno Cop would be #1.

NotJizzyHitler said:
ratings are clearly the most important thing in the entire world,
What? I thought the most important things in the world were....

LOVE AND PEACE!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfwQlIkam44
lupadimDec 29, 2013 10:57 AM
Dec 29, 2013 10:40 AM

Sep 2012
Only thing I know about Gintama is that it has 201 episodes, and another season (I guess, I don't care enough to investigate further) with 51 more -- far, far more than I'm willing to invest in in case it's not top-tier. A show needs to be Monster, Blood+, and FMA:B good first before I dedicate even half that much time into a huge series from now on. And even then, Fist of the North Star and all its iterations was enough endless shounen for me.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Dec 29, 2013 12:33 PM

Apr 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
grandy_UiD said:
AngrySashimi said:

No he doesnt, at all, hes wrong on so many levels

Gintama for starters isnt reliant on solely japanese humor, at the start there were more than alot of references to japanese culture but as it goes on its more about regular casts and stories and even when its referencing its not solely referential humor but how they use it for humor making it entertaining even if you dont know where its coming from, and even then it references a ton of stuff outside the japanese culture, star wars, beverly hills cop, jackie chan movies, fucking obama, brooklyn gangs, and so many more. You dont need to understand the parodies that slowly fade to nothingness as the series progresses to like the humor and even then that argument is completly devoid of logic since rumbel subs explains the references. Its amazing how someone trying to defend this show and down those that done enjoy it cant even understand the show hes defending

The worst aspect of that comment was the part on judging someone taste for not liking gintama, to which i say you give every gintama fan a bad name, Its completely understandable why people wouldnt like this series, hell theres tons, Its immature when people prefer dry mature humor, its over the top when someone may prefer more clever grounded humor, its pacing is slow, it never stops having dud episodes, and so on and son not even getting into the subjective aspects like not caring for the characters or disliking the pace

Judging one for not liking gintama is nothing short of fucking moronic and by saying so only make us gintama fans look like delusional assholes, you are wrong on so many levels and the fact that you act like your above others because of it is downright laughable
Nice to know this guy flames everyone that he doesn't like, not just me.

UnculturedWhitey said:
Only thing I know about Gintama is that it has 201 episodes, and another season (I guess, I don't care enough to investigate further) with 51 more -- far, far more than I'm willing to invest in in case it's not top-tier. A show needs to be Monster, Blood+, and FMA:B good first before I dedicate even half that much time into a huge series from now on. And even then, Fist of the North Star and all its iterations was enough endless shounen for me.
My reasoning exactly. And I didn't even start watching Blood+, FMA:B, and Monster, even though they've been sitting on my PTW list forever. Maybe I'll read Gintama manga one day.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 29, 2013 1:09 PM

Aug 2012
@Thread

Yeah, I agree that there shouldn't be four Gintamas in the top 7 list. I suppose MAL could remove the three of them and only keep the main series there. Or are you going to say your top 5 favorite smartphones are "iPhone 5, iPhone 4, iPhone 3, Galaxy S2, iPhone 2"?
Dec 29, 2013 1:17 PM

Feb 2010
So the Tv Series/Anime discussion (and there was a lot of discussion going on in there) thread gets locked, but this one is allowed to blossom for the umpteenth time? I don't get the mod decisions sometimes.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 29, 2013 1:20 PM

Apr 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
So the Tv Series/Anime discussion (and there was a lot of discussion going on in there) thread gets locked, but this one is allowed to blossom for the umpteenth time? I don't get the mod decisions sometimes.
because this thread is made by me, and mod felt guilty about locking it because they have done so so many times.

痛就是爱
Dec 29, 2013 1:43 PM

Feb 2010
bunny_lover said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
because this thread is made by me, and mod felt guilty about locking it because they have done so so many times.

I wasn't aware they had a guilt function built into their circuits.

But seriously, I just miss that thread.

And who still cares if there's 3 or 4 Gintama's in the top X? They represent one franchise just like any other top X entry, so what's the big deal?
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 29, 2013 1:55 PM

Sep 2011
UnculturedWhitey said:
this is one of the reasons i dont like gintama in the top 10, its not the way your thinking, gintama aside form rare occasions is just a comedy series, mainly episodic with some arcs that vary in serious and comedy from arc to arc. and the worst part of it is that the start is god awful, most will tell you while some lucky bastards find enjoyment in the start, and even then theres a chance you wouldnt like the later parts if it doesnt fit your sense of humor(daily lives, cromartie, and so on type of humor), but i can almost guarentee you if you need something to be really good story wise to warrant watching that many episodes gintama will likley not be for you, and unlike some assholes would say thats perfectly fine, gintama may do just about every genre out there but that doesnt mean its for everyone

if by whatever reason you do decide to watch it try not going in with many expectations other than the start is bad, but like i said before if you dont like really stupid immature over the top humor its not for you
JizzyHitlerDec 29, 2013 2:01 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 29, 2013 2:17 PM
Mar 2013
Even me, the biggest hipster faggot on mal, will admit that Gintama deserves its fame

I actually thought the start was decent but it only gets really good with that weird octopus sword arc
Dec 29, 2013 4:59 PM

Sep 2011
JD2411 said:

I actually thought the start was decent but it only gets really good with that weird octopus sword arc
I actually dont know what arc your talking about

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 29, 2013 5:02 PM

Oct 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
JD2411 said:

Benizakura Arc
Dec 29, 2013 5:04 PM

Sep 2011
AssKetchum said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
JD2411 said:

Benizakura Arc
ooooooooohhhhh, ok yah that makes sense, the octopus part confused me

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 29, 2013 6:33 PM

Jan 2013
I don't know about fan subs but on Crunchyroll they explain almost every reference in Gintama. At the top of the screen they will say "Gin is referring to blah blah blah." It actually helps a lot, thats why I like watching it on there.
Dec 29, 2013 7:36 PM

May 2009
Again the same topic. It's gintama. In my opinion it's overrated anime.
Just wonder how http://gyazo.com/45b9a37e2b39c883a13a12abf9dd3263
I hope it will be fixed in a few days
Dec 29, 2013 7:39 PM

Jul 2011
kokojambo said:
Again the same topic. It's gintama. In my opinion it's overrated anime.
Just wonder how http://gyazo.com/45b9a37e2b39c883a13a12abf9dd3263
I hope it will be fixed in a few days

Just wait the next daily update, not days, it's first because at the last update was 9.23, updates are made each 12 hours
Dec 29, 2013 10:44 PM

Apr 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
UnculturedWhitey said:
this is one of the reasons i dont like gintama in the top 10, its not the way your thinking, gintama aside form rare occasions is just a comedy series, mainly episodic with some arcs that vary in serious and comedy from arc to arc. and the worst part of it is that the start is god awful, most will tell you while some lucky bastards find enjoyment in the start, and even then theres a chance you wouldnt like the later parts if it doesnt fit your sense of humor(daily lives, cromartie, and so on type of humor), but i can almost guarentee you if you need something to be really good story wise to warrant watching that many episodes gintama will likley not be for you, and unlike some assholes would say thats perfectly fine, gintama may do just about every genre out there but that doesnt mean its for everyone

if by whatever reason you do decide to watch it try not going in with many expectations other than the start is bad, but like i said before if you dont like really stupid immature over the top humor its not for you
Thanks for the warning. Gintama is probably not for me then. I can't seem to like a lot of comedies that other people find hilarious.

痛就是爱
Dec 29, 2013 11:20 PM

Sep 2011
bunny_lover said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
UnculturedWhitey said:

Thanks for the warning. Gintama is probably not for me then. I can't seem to like a lot of comedies that other people find hilarious.
if you dont like the comedy in this then i can almost guarantee you its not your thing
http://myanimelist.net/anime/11843/Danshi_Koukousei_no_Nichijou

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 29, 2013 11:27 PM

Apr 2012
^ On my PTW list but I was having the same doubt. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll delete it from my list promptly.

If you have time, can you go through my PTW list and tell me if I have similar titles that only involve this kind of comedy?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/bunny_lover&status=6&order=4

Mod Edit: Quote tower fixed.
ThangLongDec 30, 2013 8:11 AM

痛就是爱
Dec 29, 2013 11:28 PM

Sep 2011
^ well you should give it a try, daily lives and gintama are stupid but they are stupid clever

ThangLongDec 30, 2013 8:12 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 29, 2013 11:31 PM

Apr 2012
@Notjizzyhitler

Are they the same kind of humor comparable to comedy romances, or are they completely different?

痛就是爱
Dec 29, 2013 11:43 PM

Jan 2013
Why are you guys hating in Gintama's humor? Gintama is hillarious.
Dec 29, 2013 11:45 PM

Sep 2011
bunny_lover said:
@Notjizzyhitler

Are they the same kind of humor comparable to comedy romances, or are they completely different?
I mean its hard to really say there are some rom com's that are in that type of humor, just try giving daily lives a shot, thats really the best way to tell.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 29, 2013 11:47 PM

Nov 2010
Forgetfulness said:
On a side note, I hear that Gintama parodies other series (I think other shounen?). Does that mean it's better to wait til you have a large amount of anime watched before seeing Gintama or can most people just pick it up?
It parodies a lot of things including shounens, SoLs, Japanese celebrities, etc. And anyone can pick it up, it does have references but it also has normal comedy based on the characters and the situations, etc. Each episode has a story, so it's not like people sitting around making references to series that you haven't heard of, so you're not laughing at all. It's able to keep you entertained even if you're not laughing.
Dec 29, 2013 11:57 PM

Dec 2012
Forgetfulness said:

On a side note, I hear that Gintama parodies other series (I think other shounen?). Does that mean it's better to wait til you have a large amount of anime watched before seeing Gintama or can most people just pick it up?

No not really. The funniest parts about Gintama are inside comedy or in other words references to stuff about the series itself.

The parodies are mildly funny and sometime good but I personally don't believe that they are the best thing about the series or it's comedy in particular.

They are a lot of meh episodes so don't have high expectations if you ever decide to watch it or invest your time in it.
Dec 30, 2013 12:01 AM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
Forgetfulness said:

No not really. The funniest parts about Gintama are inside comedy or in other words references to stuff about the series itself.

The parodies are mildly funny and sometime good but I personally don't believe that they are the best thing about the series or it's comedy in particular.
i agree, the only times the references really end up being funny is when they act as the setting for an episode and then they just take their own course from there, like the bentendo owee episodes

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 30, 2013 12:48 AM

Aug 2012
Gintama is overrated trash but a simple way to fix this would be not allow everything Gintama related to be ranked.
Dec 30, 2013 12:48 AM

Dec 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
tsudecimo said:
Forgetfulness said:

i agree, the only times the references really end up being funny is when they act as the setting for an episode and then they just take their own course from there, like the bentendo owee episodes

Yeah. Parodying alone won't carry a show. Oh my god yes. Exactly this. Those two episodes were fucking hilarious, Katsuro was epic as always lol. You see, episodes like these are what make me continue watching Gintama, and not regret watching it and investing my time on it. I'm on episode 130, sadly the level of 99 and 100 is not found yet. But when Gintama is funny, it's really funny.
Dec 30, 2013 1:08 AM

Apr 2012
Since this thread is already derailed (who I am kidding, I made it to be dereailed or else there is nothing to talk about), I will post this mind-blowing (or not) statistics.

5 new entries from 2013 made it into MAL's top 30.
They are Gintama final movie (#1!!!!!!!), Shingeki no Kyojin #12, Kuroke no Basket S2 #20, Monogatari Series S2 #26, and Steins;gate Movie #27.

AND you did not read wrong. Gintama movie just made to number 1...

Well. This confirms my earlier (locked) thread about how amazing 2013 is in terms of MAL stats.

痛就是爱
Dec 30, 2013 1:19 AM

Apr 2011
And to this day, I still fail to realise why MAL rankings matter so much.
Dec 30, 2013 1:29 AM

Apr 2013
bunny_lover said:

No, it hasn't.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Dec 30, 2013 1:37 AM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
Yeah. Parodying alone won't carry a show. Oh my god yes. Exactly this. Those two episodes were fucking hilarious, Katsuro was epic as always lol. You see, episodes like these are what make me continue watching Gintama, and not regret watching it and investing my time on it. I'm on episode 130, sadly the level of 99 and 100 is not found yet. But when Gintama is funny, it's really funny.
episode 99 is definitely one of my favorites but there are a few episodes better than it, theres a ep in gintama' called the patriot episode thats just funny as all hell, theres also a shogun episode at the pool as well as a arc with them trapped in the forest with him, those are better than 99 in my opniion but barely, the entirety of the dragon quest bit is pure comedic gold

ThangLongDec 30, 2013 8:17 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 30, 2013 1:51 AM

Apr 2013
^ What about the popularity poll arc? That was for me the peak of hilariousness in Gintama. Or even the two episodes in which

ThangLongDec 30, 2013 8:18 AM
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Dec 30, 2013 1:53 AM
Oct 2013
geralt said:
bunny_lover said:

No, it hasn't.

It has been several hours ago. Now it isn't. But who cares anyway whether it's 1 or 2 or over 9000 it's still more than 9 star on weighted score.
Dec 30, 2013 1:59 AM
Jul 2013
mbdsquad said:

It has been several hours ago. Now it isn't. But who cares anyway whether it's 1 or 2 or over 9000 it's still more than 9 star on weighted score.

MAL's score is shit, And should not be taken into account.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 156 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - May 7, 2009

117 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Yesterday, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

194 by Seraschi »»
Apr 25, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

almozayaf - Jul 28, 2009

95 by SPG_Anima »»
Apr 21, 3:56 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Znote - Oct 3, 2009

107 by DaveyUwU »»
Apr 20, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.