Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 9, 2013 2:31 PM
Sep 2013
Should I watch Armitage III OVAs or the Armitage III - Polymatrix film? Which is best? Any overall difference?
Oct 9, 2013 2:46 PM

Jun 2010
Surely you can get your answer by checking out the score, rank or reviews.
Oct 9, 2013 2:47 PM

Apr 2012
The movie is made from the OVAs, therefore you lose content since the movie is shorter, but plot wise you might enjoy the compression. A bit like Macross Plus. I surmise people usually watch the OVA.
Oct 9, 2013 2:52 PM

Mar 2012
Just watch armitage 3 first. It's great.

Armitage dual matrix is the sequel obviously you want to watch what happens to them in the first place first correct??
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Oct 9, 2013 2:53 PM

Jan 2013
10/10 great thread
Oct 9, 2013 2:54 PM
Sep 2013
I didn't feel like there was much info in just the plain data, and most reviews didn't mention a comparison to the OVAs. I merely asked since I often don't like OVAs in general, but this time I shall watch it in the entirety. Thanks!
Oct 9, 2013 2:55 PM

Aug 2013
Both.
Dec 13, 2013 10:29 AM

Apr 2012
I wouldn't normally say this, but the film.

This is what I posted on the Polymatrix board

Personally I think it's a vast improvement. You miss a few entertaining scenes but plotwise it suits this format much better, makes more sense and has more engaging pacing. The OVA meandered a little too much for my liking, though losing scenes with Armitage strutting her kinky stuff is a shame.

The dub's good too (it was made with English as the primary soundtrack). Elizabeth Berkley does a great job as Armitage, Keifer Sutherland is stiff as a board though

Though admittedly some plot developments feel a bit rushed in the middle of the film, but the OVA had its own problems in plotting.
BlackoutingJan 24, 2017 10:18 AM
Feb 20, 2014 3:36 PM

Nov 2008
Honestly I would go with the OVA , I viewed it first , and after the film still find it better. And you can always just watch both ~
Jul 5, 2016 5:38 PM
Oct 2012
I know this is old but for anyone reading, here's my take.

Now, the only copies of poly-matrix I was able to find have this weird colourization, bolding of lines and softening on it, which I think looks horrible. So if you are torrenting it, definitely go OVA. Now, this could be due to the rip I found being 720 TV rip and may have been poorly mastered or whatever. But, point is, watch out and make sure it looks like something good from the 90s.

Naturally, being a compilation, there are likely cuts. I wouldn't risk it if you want to watch the entire thing.

Third, the theme is awesome and is definitely worth repeating 3 more times. Plus you don't get the accompanying animation sequence the OVA has at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp4akdTQPV4
Jan 21, 2017 6:44 PM

Apr 2012
mokahless said:
Now, the only copies of poly-matrix I was able to find have this weird colourization, bolding of lines and softening on it, which I think looks horrible.

Kinda notice some bolding too but not sure what's down to it being "blown up" to widescreen.

OK... it gets weirder. Found a fresh version of Polymatrix and compared it for quality to my old copy. The old one is considerably zoomed in on most scenes (*super* blown up)... but not all the time. In some cases the new one is more zoomed in / aligned differently (eg where Ross is having flashbacks and the plane is descending into the ramp at the start of the film - in the new one you can't see the shuttle's nose). So it looks like they rescanned the whole transfer at some point?

The old one is more saturated with deeper blacks but also has a strong blue tint in some of the scenes - in the new copy the flashback is more sepia; Armitage's intro montage is virtually monochromatic; and after D'Anclaude smashes the controls with the guitar the new one has a definite red tint while he's standing there (here the "new" one is basically identical to what appears in the OVAs).

So I see what you mean. What this means - your guess is as good as mine.

The "new" one is overall better quality (much bigger file) but is pale and has much less detail in dark areas, it's just muddy, and is even a bit blocky in the blacks. Overall I'd take this over the one that was awkwardly zoomed in though (I think you'd know it if you saw it).
BlackoutingJan 26, 2017 6:43 PM
Jan 24, 2017 10:10 AM

Apr 2012
Also noticed that there are some new scenes and reanimated parts in the film, not just the ending~

eg (being vague to avoid spoilers)
- Ross getting treated in hospital, then visiting the morgue (not in the OVA? Takes place right after OVA 1)
- where Armitage is fighting the robo guy in the hospital in OVA 3 - fight is different (at least the end) and the film has a battle in cyberspace afterwards

Haven't done a side-by-side comparison but I didn't realise this (/forgot). No wonder there's no Jap dub of the film as they did more than just cut parts out.

Maybe that explains some of the scenes looking a bit odd? Nope! see above edit.
BlackoutingJan 24, 2017 2:56 PM
Nov 2, 2017 7:38 PM

Oct 2010
http://www.crunchyroll.com/armitage-iii/reviews/helpful/page1
But even this subbed official version seen here on Crunchy is far inferior to the old unofficial and more importantly unedited bootleg copy that used to be available on the net. As to why the unedited version was superior I will go into more detail later in this review.

(...)do yourself a huge favor and find an old bootleg full unedited copy of this anime rather than the version being supplied here on Crunchyroll. I say that because this is the official release which was heavily edited due to live television time constraints. A lot of scenes that got cut were important for avoiding confusing watchers.

Well, that's frustrating.
Oct 16, 2022 5:21 PM
Mar 2019
Major spoilers! Comparisons for whoever wants them https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=38

More topics from this board

Poll: » Armitage III Episode 4 Discussion

Blackouting - Jan 21, 2017

16 by jjeom »»
Nov 10, 2023 4:52 AM

Poll: » Armitage III Episode 3 Discussion

ballistique - Oct 4, 2010

12 by almightybismarck »»
Oct 18, 2023 7:04 AM

Poll: » Armitage III Episode 2 Discussion

greenmarty - Jan 24, 2012

11 by almightybismarck »»
Oct 15, 2023 9:41 AM

Poll: » Armitage III Episode 1 Discussion

Beatnik - Oct 15, 2009

17 by almightybismarck »»
Oct 12, 2023 2:54 AM

» Armitage's character page includes huge spoilers!

mrmuk - Nov 19, 2017

0 by mrmuk »»
Nov 19, 2017 4:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.