Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2013 9:46 AM

Sep 2013
So I been wondering, Is it Ryuko or Ryuuko?
Oct 7, 2013 10:14 AM

Sep 2012
Billych said:

I don't know what to answer between: I don't care or I don't give a shit.
Oct 7, 2013 11:36 AM

Aug 2009
IHAFUF said:
All I have to say, plz give her some more cover up clothes, it was like she was wearing a string one piece swimsuit.

Pretty enjoyable though in general.

I hope that when she gains more power through the uniforms, she gains more clothing as well.

But yeah, good start so far. Can't wait to see more.
Oct 7, 2013 12:26 PM

Aug 2009
In case that someone doesn't know this already

The first two episodes are named after 1970's J-Pop songs:
- Episode 1, If Only I Had Thorns Like A Thistle..., shares its title with あざみの如く棘あれば, or Azami no Gotoku Toge Areba, a 1977 song by Miyako Chaki.
- Episode 2, So Sexy, I'm Going To Faint, shares its title with 気絶するほど悩ましい, or Kizetsu suru hodo Nayamashii, a 1977 song by Char.

Glad to see that there are more 70s references.

spacemonkey93 said:
Aside from that, who else got the 1984 reference? or are all you just too uncultured?

Check few pages earlier for references in KlK, Orwell ones were most obvious.

spacemonkey93 said:
Then fanservice is even MORE than in TTGL and I'm not sure if I'd like too much of it later.

Fanservice, tits and skimpy battle uniform are there because of Re: Cutie Honey and strong Go Nagai vibe in KlK.
Oct 7, 2013 12:29 PM

Sep 2013
SetsukoHara said:
Billych said:

I don't know what to answer between: I don't care or I don't give a shit.[/quo
SetsukoHara said:
Billych said:

I don't know what to answer between: I don't care or I don't give a shit.

OH SHIZZ
I'm scurred
Oct 7, 2013 12:31 PM

Sep 2008
Wow that was intense, looking forward to the next ep
Oct 7, 2013 1:35 PM

Aug 2009
Decent episode. 99% TTGL feel; maybe these guys are aiming to cash the hype left behind but not a bad start I would say.
Oct 7, 2013 3:35 PM
Sep 2011
Pretty average, with good animation however. Let's see what it has in store.
Oct 7, 2013 4:57 PM

Dec 2011
I don't even know what happened but it was enjoyable
Oct 7, 2013 5:04 PM

Jun 2012
Wow, that was really cool. Definitely a Gurren Lagann feeling, but the difference is that I didn't enjoy Gurren Lagann that much.
I'm super excited for this series, it's way too crazy and fast-moving. and all that skin xD

Oct 7, 2013 5:06 PM

Mar 2008
The animation so far feels very old school though, at times the transition in the battle scenes were hard to watch, not sure if its how it was animated or the art-style. The first episode, is straight to the point just like the main character, straight to the point. The atmosphere of the anime, is sort of feels like a Gurren Laggen type, which is basically, I am main character, your the villians, Let's Fight!. I am not very fond of main female heroine lead yet I enjoyed this one. Since they get into all the fighting without much of a plot build. So far my rating of this anime is decent but fun to watch.
Oct 7, 2013 5:57 PM

Feb 2012
Phenomenal!. 10/10 ep cant wait for MORE!
Oct 7, 2013 8:00 PM

Jun 2009
Loving this show already

just leavin this here:
Oct 7, 2013 8:03 PM

May 2012
Cool but I don't like how she just had a tomboy-ish wardrobe at first then a SUPER skimpy one later. O.O
Oct 7, 2013 9:52 PM

Dec 2010
Hate to be that guy, but I'm not really feeling it. And I sure did love TTGL. Didn't reach my (honestly pretty high) expectations, but this is only the first episode, we'll see.

Loving Ryuuko's outfit though.
Oct 8, 2013 1:00 AM
Sep 2012
Hiroyuki Sawano doing the OST.

WELL NO FUCKING WONDER WHY IT WAS SO DAMN BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ahhhh can't wait till full soundtrack comes out
follow me on tumblr (i follow back, unless your some bloody yugiohentai blog lol)
http://xoxotaku.tumblr.com

Oct 8, 2013 1:02 AM

Aug 2013
Wildflame said:
Hate to be that guy, but I'm not really feeling it. And I sure did love TTGL. Didn't reach my (honestly pretty high) expectations, but this is only the first episode, we'll see.

Loving Ryuuko's outfit though.
First eps hardly ever really partrait an anime in it's entire light. Fear not young soul. It will get better each episode.
Oct 8, 2013 10:34 AM
Feb 2012
Ha, I like the Gurren Lagann vibes this show is giving off.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 8, 2013 11:32 AM

Jul 2012
The action is so over-the-top, that they can beat the crap out while talking with such intensity. Fast paced is an understatement
Oct 8, 2013 11:41 AM
Aug 2013
On my quest finding depressing and deep anime's, this is a very nice change where I can just enjoy all the crazy shenanigans going on! Hopefully it continues like this!
Oct 8, 2013 11:47 AM
Jul 2013
It was absolutely Amazing, the comedy is great, the Action is over the top, i just hope it's not a 12 or 25 episode series.
Oct 8, 2013 2:05 PM

Feb 2011
Everything's perfection in my eyes, well done! Looking forward to the rest of this excellent series!

On a side note, the only way I can accept the shit idea of having that little uniform on her would have to be the fact that Gurren Lagann was over the top nuts because it was the deconstruction of mecha anime, and this one is the deconstruction of slice of life/school life anime which usually features heavy shameless fan service, making this over the top uniform an ironic slap in the face to those who use fan service as a way to draw in a fanbase as opposed to interesting story and development.

Basically, fuck fan service for the sake of having fans overlook a total lack of story, and congratulations to Kill la Kill for using fan service the appropriate way alongside an interesting premise as well as to slap today's anime/manga culture in the face by showing them how it's done.
Oct 8, 2013 2:13 PM

Apr 2012
Meh, not interested & this shit is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated.
VillainousOct 8, 2013 2:30 PM
Oct 8, 2013 3:57 PM

Nov 2012
Over the top just like Gurren Lagann and I'm liking it. The only problem I'm having is the fan service, I find it unnecessary and unfitting for this anime.
Oct 8, 2013 5:16 PM
Oct 2010
Villainous said:

So how is it overrated?
Oct 8, 2013 5:43 PM

Oct 2013
Holy shit. Absolutely loved the first episode.

This show has a lot of potential. When exactly is the next episode set to air?
Oct 8, 2013 7:14 PM

Jul 2009
GENERALxRAIDEN said:
Over the top just like Gurren Lagann and I'm liking it. The only problem I'm having is the fan service, I find it unnecessary and unfitting for this anime.
TTGL had a buttload of fan service as well, especially in the beginning. Hell, the whole show so far feels like "fan service", the good kind of fan service.
Oct 8, 2013 9:44 PM

Nov 2012
If the fan service is like Gurren Lagann's (enough to want more, but not too distracting) I won't be mad
If it's still fan service and fighting scenes, I seriously wouldn't mind
Oct 8, 2013 10:22 PM

Oct 2013
first episode was awesome :D
insane, fucked up and stylish
something like needless X TTGL Anime
hope the following episodes keep that level of madness
Oct 9, 2013 12:44 AM
May 2012
It made me fall in love with the main character in 1 episode :/
Oct 9, 2013 12:57 AM

Jan 2013
Villainous said:
I see.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 9, 2013 1:17 AM

Feb 2011
Am i the only one who though Uzu Sanageyama was Simon? xD I'm loving the music and the first episode. Overall this anime did suits my taste, so yeah i am definitely watching it. can't wait what will happen on the next episode!
Oct 9, 2013 1:44 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Do the highest score by one point, for the simple fact that it was a long, after seeing GL, I have not seen a number like that! Design, animation and characters are promoted. Plot instead it reaches the finish line, too seen and reviewed a similar story, must evolve in order to save in the future. Backdrops and colors suitable for the above product.
The main character reminds me of Kamina! XD
Oct 9, 2013 2:21 AM

Jul 2013
Anime style reminds me a lot of LP/Gorillaz music video animation style, dirty and old, but is certainly a change and clean new 2013 probably wouldn't really suit it.

Not sure about the random fan service uniform.
One day we will come upon each other, and for that day my claws, teeth, ears, hands and hair are at the ready.
Oct 9, 2013 6:43 AM

Aug 2009
AkatsukiShinobi said:
On a side note, the only way I can accept the shit idea of having that little uniform on her would have to be the fact that Gurren Lagann was over the top nuts because it was the deconstruction of mecha anime, and this one is the deconstruction of slice of life/school life anime which usually features heavy shameless fan service, making this over the top uniform an ironic slap in the face to those who use fan service as a way to draw in a fanbase as opposed to interesting story and development.

I'm sorry but how can KlK be a deconstruction of slice of life/school life anime if it's different genre? To deconstruct genre you must make anime in that specific genre which follows it's rules but changes some of it's elements that it become no longer typical example of that genre. In the end deconstructed anime is part of specific genre but breaks away from it's cliches and usual themes. If you use only one element of such genre in different genre (just like KlK do this with school as a story setting) and twist it it can only become some kind of parody of that former genre. If KlK would become a deconstruction of something it will be deconstruction of shonen anime because it belongs to this genre and is heavily inspired by other older shonen animes. If you look for deconstruction of slice of life/school life anime check out Aku no Hana. Yeah yeah I know that AnH is not so hot for most anime viewers and it's not cool to call it deconstruction (or even good anime) but in reality it is deconstruction of mentioned genres. Also TTGL wasn't deconstruction of mecha anime. It was it's reconstruction after deconstruction performed by Evangelion.
ElectricFanOct 9, 2013 7:04 AM
Oct 9, 2013 7:00 AM
Jul 2012
What the fuck kind of title is that!!!!1111!!! Kill la Kill trololololololol more like Fap la Fap.

Highschool? Again? Damn Japanese obsessed with highschool girl wearin' short skirt...

Highschool girl: nani nani *giggles*
Damn otaku: hnnnnnnggggggggg *fap*

Gurren Lagann is eh.... BOOBS!!!!!!11!!
This is oh.........fanservice!!!! Naked you bitch!!!
Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Oct 9, 2013 9:55 AM
Sep 2012
Anyone know the OSTs in this episode? Especially the one that played when Matoi's uniform lit up. Thanks in advance.
Oct 9, 2013 10:26 AM
May 2012
Nice! Looks like this is gonna be awesome, the action and the effects were really good.
Oct 9, 2013 10:31 AM

Feb 2011
zer0Phi said:
AkatsukiShinobi said:

I'm sorry but how can KlK be a deconstruction of slice of life/school life anime if it's different genre? To deconstruct genre you must make anime in that specific genre which follows it's rules but changes some of it's elements that it become no longer typical example of that genre. In the end deconstructed anime is part of specific genre but breaks away from it's cliches and usual themes. If you use only one element of such genre in different genre (just like KlK do this with school as a story setting) and twist it it can only become some kind of parody of that former genre. If KlK would become a deconstruction of something it will be deconstruction of shonen anime because it belongs to this genre and is heavily inspired by other older shonen animes. If you look for deconstruction of slice of life/school life anime check out Aku no Hana. Yeah yeah I know that AnH is not so hot for most anime viewers and it's not cool to call it deconstruction (or even good anime) but in reality it is deconstruction of mentioned genres. Also TTGL wasn't deconstruction of mecha anime. It was it's reconstruction after deconstruction performed by Evangelion.

Something can be a deconstruction while being another genre, deconstruction is the sub genre of the main genre that it's deconstructing. While you say that a deconstruction has to occur in an anime of a specific genre which follows it's rules but changes some elements so that it no longer becomes that genre, can you really tell me that Kill la Kill's school theme isn't a deconstruction of the school life anime, with no changes done while following it's genres basic rules? It takes the elements of school being the most important thing in the students life, and makes it the literal top of the world, it takes the 1st year, 2nd year, and 3rd year superiority complex and turns it into uniform based superiority through single, double, and triple star uniforms, the common trope of the mysterious transfer student shaking things up, this time shaking the foundation of the ruling class in this society, and the fact that the head of the clubs, disciplinary council and student council are the heads of the society, as opposed to simply being the heads of the school. There's more than enough examples for you on how this is a deconstruction of school life anime according to your examples.

Now if you want a parody of school life anime, look to Nichijou, while it's a school life anime, the activities that take place are over the top and insane, but the world is still stable to say the least, the school's a school and the students are students, as opposed to Kill la Kill, which breaks down the not only the setting but the world as well, and rebuilds the genre as the world itself, school life literally becomes a life of school. I'll agree with you on the fact that it's pretty shonen, so why not a a deconstruction of shonen style school life anime? You've seen pages for anime on this site, most have more than a single genre. Just to clarify, something doesn't have to dark and messed up, or overly realistic to be a deconstruction genre, Evangelion while showing a prime example of a deconstruction, shouldn't be used a template for all deconstructions, they won't always be that dark, and they won't always have those kinds of characters, but they can still be deconstructions in the end.

As for me saying that Gurren Lagann was a deconstruction of the mecha anime, I'd have to stick to that, it does destroy tropes and changes cliches, taking them to a natural point, for example, what they did with Kamina, setting him up as the "Red Ranger", a natural born leader, and then doing what they did to his character, forcing not only the main character to take up the torch and thrust him in a position where he needs to grow up quickly, but also forcing Yoko, the main love interest at the time, to move on and give someone else, far from main character status, a try, which we know the result of, leaving her alone at the very end, as well as Simon. When an anime can take you on a trip in a strange new world, and lead you by the hand in a way where tropes and cliches will either catch you by surprise because of how they're either none-existent, destroyed before your eyes, or changed to take a natural course, then it can be seen as a deconstruction of the formula based and reliant on tropes and cliches staying true and unchanged.

Long story short, it not only follows the rules that you set up as definition of a deconstruction, but the actual rules as well. On a side note, I'll take a look Aku no hana, who gives a shit what reviewers say, they're just assholes like you and I, most with a stick up their ass because they think they're hot shit. Same thing with movies, screw reviewers, you watch whatever the hell you want to watch and if you like it, well then bravo my friend.
Oct 9, 2013 10:36 AM

Feb 2013
great 1st ep
the animation is top notch
Oct 9, 2013 10:39 AM

Sep 2009
ahahaha, in just one episode.. I feel like I've watched the whole damn series :D
This is going to be awesome. Haha, the main character is so cool \m/
Plus, I love her voice although her face is kinda like Jinta from AnoHana. XD
Oct 9, 2013 1:08 PM

Aug 2009
I don't understand what all the hype is about, right now I consider dropping this show..
There was fighting and then some more fighting, and some more..

"I feel like I've watched the whole damn series"
Yes, and I just had about enough if the whole show is gonna be like this, I'm gonna give it another 1-2 episodes, if it ain't improving, I'm dropping it.

Edit: It's funny reading all the comments and find out how simple minded some people are.
"Anime of the decade" - No, don't think so :P
RewstonOct 9, 2013 1:14 PM
Oct 9, 2013 1:44 PM
Apr 2010
Well, this was certainly a polarizing first episode. Personally, I loved it until the mini skirt showed up, but at least the main character complains about it instead of using a skimpy outfit and not saying anything (here's looking at you Yoko), but still liked it. I don't even care about the story, I just hope they can focus that hyper active energy and surprise me every week.

Stuff like Kill la Kill is why I'm probably never going to hit saturation point in the action department. Even if I've already seen this a million times before, even if I know where this is going, even if I've already been there, I always like it.
Oct 9, 2013 2:13 PM

Aug 2009
AkatsukiShinobi said:
Something can be a deconstruction while being another genre, deconstruction is the sub genre of the main genre that it's deconstructing. While you say that a deconstruction has to occur in an anime of a specific genre which follows it's rules but changes some elements so that it no longer becomes that genre, can you really tell me that Kill la Kill's school theme isn't a deconstruction of the school life anime, with no changes done while following it's genres basic rules?

I admit that you wrote a lot of good points. Deconstruction is not sub genre of the main genre but different approach to that genre. It shows new interpretations of certain themes that are tropes for that genre. In deconstruction changing some elements don't cause overall change of genre "that it no longer becomes that genre". Nope it's still that genre but shown from different perspective. I agree that KlK could try to deconstruct typical schoolgirl trope but it doesn't mean that it would be deconstruction of whole school life/slice of life genre. Deconstructing only one of the elements isn't the same as deconstructing whole genre (because genres consist of more tropes than one). If there will be storyline that she as schoolgirl has her normal school life, she interacts with her classmates etc in other words there will be typical slice of life setting then we can say that Trigger attempts to deconstruct that genre. But unless that we can only say that they could be trying to deconstruct schoolgirl trope and additionally it could be some kind of social critique. Also I agree that deconstructions don't have to be dark and messed up because that's not the essence of deconstruction (despite a lot of people think that it is) because deconstruction is about new interpretations not making thinghs edgier. Evangelion is perfect example here not because of it's "psychological factor" but because it took super robot genre tropes and reinvented whole genre and then combined it with real robot genre. In the end NGE was still super robot show but way different form typical 70s esque titles formula. You ask why not a deconstruction of shonen style school life anime? Ok but take a note that not always school life anime overlaps with slice of life. Not all animes that takes place at school are slices of life. From my point of view those animes that are oriented toward action are primary shonens despite that they can be setted at school. For me KlK now feels more like shonen than slice of life. But yeah if Trigger somehow mix up these two genres I won't complain ;) If KlK would end as an action packed shonen anime but combined with seinen psychological side of characters then yes it can be deconstruction of tropes that can be found in shonen titles.

AkatsukiShinobi said:
Now if you want a parody of school life anime, look to Nichijou, while it's a school life anime, the activities that take place are over the top and insane, but the world is still stable to say the least, the school's a school and the students are students, as opposed to Kill la Kill, which breaks down the not only the setting but the world as well, and rebuilds the genre as the world itself, school life literally becomes a life of school.

You are right but in KlK this is rather reference than a deconstruction of a trope. KlK is full of references to 70s and 80s Japan popculture (animes, music, movies etc). The trope that transfer girl must fight against disciplinary committee (which can be seen as a center of the world) was common trope in Sukeban genre of Japanese cinema in 70s (I wrote about that few pages before). Even Ryuko's chara design is a reference to Sukeban girls (her black sailor fuku and red glove, but her shoes are inspired by 80s). Nowadays this trope can be seen in Japanese tv drama Majisuka Gakuen. KlK make references to both Sukeban movies and this tv series. Because of that I doubt that in reality Ryuko is deconstruction of schoolgirl trope because she isn't first character like that in Japanese popculture.

AkatsukiShinobi said:
As for me saying that Gurren Lagann was a deconstruction of the mecha anime, I'd have to stick to that, it does destroy tropes and changes cliches, taking them to a natural point

But this is what reconstruction is about. Reconstruction is attempt to recreate orginal genre after it was deconstructed but with having in mind interpretations performed by a title that deconstructed a genre. Yes reconstruction also destroys tropes but the ones that were made while genre was deconstructed. Deconstruction always creates new tropes that will be emulated by other shows if title that performed deconstruction is popular. After Evangelion deconstructed mecha genre there were produced mecha animes that would emulate NGE, especially it's psychological factor. TTGL accepted that mecha genre changed after Evangelion and won't be the same staple stories like Gundam or Mazinger, but this doesn't mean that modern mecha animes should be messed up like Evangelion. TTGL tried to return to roots of mecha genre and tell story that would be more close to the origins of genre but don't be exactly the same like in 70s or 80s because of NGE huge impact. In other words reconstruction is reinterpretation of orginal genre that follows after deconstruction but is more close to genre's roots than deconstruction.

AkatsukiShinobi said:
On a side note, I'll take a look Aku no hana, who gives a shit what reviewers say, they're just assholes like you and I, most with a stick up their ass because they think they're hot shit. Same thing with movies, screw reviewers, you watch whatever the hell you want to watch and if you like it, well then bravo my friend.

Can't agree more. For me AnH was good and I think it's worth watching. But be prepared that the whole season is prelude for messed up things that will be in next season (if we will get it) and last episode is massive cliffhanger. So sooner or later you will be forced to read manga.
ElectricFanOct 9, 2013 3:10 PM
Oct 9, 2013 10:07 PM

Jan 2013
Hybridbloodszak said:
Yup I'm strapped in and not getting off this crazy ride

Did he say strap in or strap on?

All joking aside, I loved the animation! And they even had some awesome fan service! I love the ditzy girl, too.
Oct 9, 2013 10:52 PM

Dec 2009
Holy crap, did not expect this to be subtly dark in nature, kinda expected it to be a joke after seeing the uniform. Dead wrong, this is amazing. A bit quick at first, but the fight was top notch.

Mato Ryuuko.
Oct 9, 2013 11:54 PM

Apr 2013
GURREN FUCKING LAGAAN.

Cannot be happier :D
Oct 10, 2013 12:15 AM

Jan 2013
FailAtLife said:
What the fuck kind of title is that!!!!1111!!! Kill la Kill trololololololol more like Fap la Fap.

Highschool? Again? Damn Japanese obsessed with highschool girl wearin' short skirt...

Highschool girl: nani nani *giggles*
Damn otaku: hnnnnnnggggggggg *fap*

Gurren Lagann is eh.... BOOBS!!!!!!11!!
This is oh.........fanservice!!!! Naked you bitch!!!
I know right?
Stay classy Japan.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 10, 2013 10:23 AM

May 2011
I have no idea what I just watched, but I fucking loved it. :D If the over the top action, humor and pacing keeps up, this will easily be the best anime of this season.
Oct 10, 2013 3:22 PM

Apr 2013
I was expecting something great but this was too much xD
Pages (18) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2013

368 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2013

447 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

392 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Mar 27, 2014

955 by NullZweiChan »»
Apr 14, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Feb 27, 2014

407 by DRUG_Deleted911 »»
Apr 13, 11:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.