Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think that the excuse "I can't read the subs while watching" is legitimate ?

New
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 27, 2013 3:56 AM

Sep 2012
and google translate is subbing rather than dubbing for your little knowledge

Except it isn't google translate is actually more accureate than dubbing :D

Stopped reading.Really Eyesore.
Aug 27, 2013 3:57 AM

Jun 2013
At start when i switched to subs i had a bit of problems since i have to translate subs in my head and i had to more focused on reading then watching but after like 5-6 anime in got used to it now i read them as they were in my native language.I think you should watch dubs anyway if you prefer them but after you watched a couple of sub'd ones to see.
Aug 27, 2013 3:58 AM

Sep 2012
2_Steps_Ahead said:
Itermin8rX said:
Katsumi96 said:

If someone just wants to watch dub i don't see a reason for making excuses, they can just come out and say "I don't really like sub". It's their own personal preference.

Basically this.

And even though dub haters will come out blaming you for not watching sub.

Then you can call them an idiot and ignore them. I don't think that someones insults should change an individuals personal preferences.
Aug 27, 2013 3:59 AM

Oct 2012
no_good_name said:
same handful of english VA's voicing every single character.

Thats a pretty dumb reason. I can spot out Miyano Mamo in a lot anime yet I don't see anyone getting sick of him.

same VAs =/= Bad VAs

Same with Jun Fukuyama, and he did a crappy job with Yata Misaki from [K] and English sounds exactly the same.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Aug 27, 2013 4:03 AM

Nov 2012
Itermin8rX said:
no_good_name said:

Thats a pretty dumb reason. I can spot out Miyano Mamo in a lot anime yet I don't see anyone getting sick of him.

same VAs =/= Bad VAs

Same with Jun Fukuyama, and he did a crappy job with Yata Misaki from [K] and English sounds exactly the same.

At least the japanese do this strange thing where they use more then 10 people to voice their leads and they also do this strange thing where they hire new people to VA.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Aug 27, 2013 4:07 AM

Jul 2012
no_good_name said:
At least the japanese do this strange thing where they use more then 10 people to voice their leads and they also do this strange thing where they hire new people to VA.

Yeah that's because they have people to hire in the first place. Who the fuck wants to become a VA in America?
Aug 27, 2013 4:08 AM

Aug 2012
Yes. Who harps on people who legitimately can't read? (note: can't read, not doesn't want to read)
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Aug 27, 2013 4:09 AM

Oct 2012
no_good_name said:
Itermin8rX said:
no_good_name said:

same VAs =/= Bad VAs

Because it takes a long time to get a business, y'know? Sentai Filworks sucked absolute shit at first but now their dubs are in the average-fine level. JP has been in the anime business like forever now, so no duh.
Aug 27, 2013 4:10 AM

May 2013
Some people are just lazy I guess, and while it's not a legitimate reason, you could hardly convince them otherwise.

Nov 2012
wzrd said:
no_good_name said:

Yeah that's because they have people to hire in the first place. Who the fuck wants to become a VA in America?

Got to any anime con in the west that has a q&a session with an english VA and i guarantee you that half that questions will be about how to break into the industry and become a VA, many are interested but never get a chance because the companies only want the "good" VA's.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。

Dec 2012
wzrd said:
no_good_name said:

John DiMaggio is pretty good
Aug 27, 2013 4:11 AM

Aug 2012
Itermin8rX said:
no_good_name said:
Itermin8rX said:
no_good_name said:

same VAs =/= Bad VAs

Because it takes a long time to get a business, y'know? Sentai Filworks sucked absolute shit at first but now their dubs are in the average-fine level. JP has been in the anime business like forever now, so no duh.

Then: http://myanimelist.net/anime/2167/Clannad

Now:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12445/Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12467/Nazo_no_Kanojo_X
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10213/Maji_de_Watashi_ni_Koi_Shinasai

They got worse.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Aug 27, 2013 4:15 AM

Oct 2012

still not as bad as Animax's dubs

and it's not like they're aniplex, they wont charge you another thousand
or something
Aug 27, 2013 4:16 AM

Aug 2011
gamer2710 said:
Itermin8rX said:
no_good_name said:
Itermin8rX said:
no_good_name said:

same VAs =/= Bad VAs

Then: http://myanimelist.net/anime/2167/Clannad

Now:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12445/Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12467/Nazo_no_Kanojo_X
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10213/Maji_de_Watashi_ni_Koi_Shinasai

They got worse.

Which is really saying something, because the Clannad dub was pretty bad.
Aug 27, 2013 4:48 AM

Mar 2012
Itermin8rX said:

or something
Sentai charge more than Funimation for a greatly inferior product with a shitty English dub. Funi's dubs are only crap 40% of the time compared to Sentai's 90%. But if you're looking for good dubs, Aniplex licensed shows are usually the best bet since they put a lot of money into their shows. Madoka, Durarara and the recent SAO dub are all fantastic
Aug 27, 2013 4:51 AM

May 2013
Thought this was going to be an interesting discussion, but go figure it turned into a fight about subs and dubs.

On topic, I think its a fine excuse to say I don't want to read the subs, but if someone were to say they can't keep up with the sub then chances are they're probably BSing and are just too used to English to listen to another language.

In the end, who really cares what other people prefer, sticking to dubs only really does limit what you can/can't watch so its their loss.

imo most dubs are horrible and will make my ears explode
Aug 27, 2013 4:56 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
TassadarV said:
Thought this was going to be an interesting discussion, but go figure it turned into a fight about subs and dubs.

On topic, I think its a fine excuse to say I don't want to read the subs, but if someone were to say they can't keep up with the sub then chances are they're probably BSing and are just too used to English to listen to another language.

In the end, who really cares what other people prefer, sticking to dubs only really does limit what you can/can't watch so its their loss.

imo most dubs are horrible and will make my ears explode

Pretty much. If you seriously can't manage to "keep up" with subtitles you probably havent read very much in your life. (I mean if you have dyslexia or similar it's one thing but) I think it's a quite laughable excuse.
Aug 27, 2013 4:57 AM

Feb 2013
2_Steps_Ahead said:
Oh irony because most of you are hypocrite for watching illegal fansubs and yet you have time to complain about inferior quality(?) of dubs.
Lol this is true
I generally watch a bit off both
I just watched black lagoon 3 dubbed and I have to say it one of the best dubbed I have seen
Aug 27, 2013 4:58 AM

Oct 2010
Eh.

"I can't read subs while watching" is a legitimate reason. Just because you manage to minimize this problem by being/becoming a fast enough reader doesn't make this problem non-existent at all. Anime is mostly a visual medium and when you are forced to watch at one point of the screen you may be missing stuff the author wants you to notice. What is more relevant in the first two minutes of The Tatami Galaxy, Watashi's full-speed monologue or the highly creative visual accompaniment? Both.

On the other hand, this only belongs to the major subs vs dubs discussion thread that I always try to avoid. So goodbye.

Nov 2012
jnw93 said:
2_Steps_Ahead said:
Oh irony because most of you are hypocrite for watching illegal fansubs and yet you have time to complain about inferior quality(?) of dubs.
Lol this is true
I just watched black lagoon 3 dubbed and I have to say it one of the best dubbed I have seen

Black lagoon has a 3rd season?
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。

Oct 2012
SaberKurisu said:
Itermin8rX said:

or something
Sentai charge more than Funimation for a greatly inferior product with a shitty English dub. Funi's dubs are only crap 40% of the time compared to Sentai's 90%. But if you're looking for good dubs, Aniplex licensed shows are usually the best bet since they put a lot of money into their shows. Madoka, Durarara and the recent SAO dub are all fantastic

Madoka dub was fine, Drrr!! dub was fucking awesome and SAO dub was meh. However they add so many extra stuff, so that explains the price. And their subs are pretty good too.
Aug 27, 2013 5:02 AM
Jan 2013
I know most of my friends prefer Dubs because they say they couldn't be bothered reading and I always state original is the best you can get while the dubs are out of sync and I can;t stand watching it.
Aug 27, 2013 5:03 AM

Feb 2013
Another reason why a lot of people like the eng dub more is because English may not be there 1st language so it is easier to listen than to read. So when people say "I can't read the subs while watching" it is legitimate at times.

no_good_name said:
jnw93 said:
2_Steps_Ahead said:
Lol this is true

Black lagoon has a 3rd season?
the ova episodes 'black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail'
jnw93Aug 27, 2013 5:07 AM
Aug 27, 2013 5:11 AM

Aug 2013
It...well, depends actually on the person. I prefer subs over dubs myself,because I like listening to any TV show, anime in its native language. =) Dubs sometimes sounds weird as well. xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2013 5:11 AM
May 2013
jal90 said:
Eh."I can't read subs while watching" is a legitimate reason.
How's that a legitimate reason ?? Unless you're also ready to admit that you can't basically keep up with anything (which is embarrassing) this is just a pathetic copout method to discredit the original material.

2_Steps_Ahead said:
Butthurt level:Sonic fanboy
AGOLXAug 27, 2013 5:18 AM
Aug 27, 2013 5:12 AM

Aug 2013
Vishnu_Karthik said:
2_Steps_Ahead said:
Butthurt level:Sonic fanboy
Ouch bro.
Aug 27, 2013 5:27 AM

Dec 2012
I prefer dubs, because not only is it easier to watch, I can pay more attention to the animation and what's going on. I think that when people say they can't read the subs it means that they either can't read fast enough or can't read and pay attention to the rest of the anime at the same time.
Never forget! Don't believe in you who believes in me, don't believe in me who believes in you, believe in you...who believes in yourself!
Aug 27, 2013 5:39 AM

Oct 2012
Vishnu_Karthik said:
jal90 said:
How's that a legitimate reason ?? Unless you're also ready to admit that you can't basically keep up with anything (which is embarrassing) this is just a pathetic copout method to discredit the original material.

Original =/= good
tea was originally made in china without teabags,
oh no! I'm making fun of the chinese by imitating the British instead! better stop using teabags and using fancy cups
Aug 27, 2013 5:43 AM

Oct 2010
To quote therustbelt, "subtitles are for deaf people and homosexuals".
Aug 27, 2013 5:48 AM

Dec 2012
jnw93 said:
Another reason why a lot of people like the eng dub more is because English may not be there 1st language so it is easier to listen than to read. So when people say "I can't read the subs while watching" it is legitimate at times.

You are honestly the first person I know that said that. English is not my first language and I think it's easier to read than to hear it, well English as a whole is a pretty easy language. I even watch US TV shows with Eng subs, I just did that yesterday with Breaking Bad, I guess it became something natural to me since I'm used to it and I like it. I honestly can't comprehend why someone wouldn't be able to keep up with subs, most of them are at normal speed, I think that's just lazy. I even think that keeping up with Bakemonogatari's and Tatmi galaxy's dialogue is not that hard.
Lunaza said:
I prefer dubs, because not only is it easier to watch, I can pay more attention to the animation and what's going on. I think that when people say they can't read the subs it means that they either can't read fast enough or can't read and pay attention to the rest of the anime at the same time.

You can pay attention to everything while reading subs. After a while you learn to do that without even noticing.
Aug 27, 2013 5:49 AM

Mar 2012
Itermin8rX said:
SaberKurisu said:
Itermin8rX said:

or something

Madoka dub was fine, Drrr!! dub was fucking awesome and SAO dub was meh. However they add so many extra stuff, so that explains the price. And their subs are pretty good too.
It's better than Sentai's track record. Clannad was crap, Angel Beats was shit and Penguindrum was an abortion. Plus unlike Aniplex the subs usually aren't that great either. Especially Penguindrum's dubtitles.

While we don't get the super special awesome collector's pack, the good thing about being Australian is that we get the stuff that matters without having our wallets suffer.
Aug 27, 2013 5:50 AM

Oct 2012
Why would I care? I don't care if someone watches anime using subs or dubs so why would I care about their excuses.
Aug 27, 2013 5:51 AM
Mar 2013
It is if the person is visually impaired.
Otherwise, no. It's just people being too lazy to read.
Aug 27, 2013 5:54 AM

Dec 2012
Depends on the person, it's not really a wrong answer if they can't. Now if someone says "no one can enjoy anime subbed because they're too busy reading the whole time", that's obviously going to be wrong.
Aug 27, 2013 5:58 AM

Feb 2010
For Tatami Galaxy I'll allow it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 27, 2013 6:03 AM

Feb 2013
tsudman said:
jnw93 said:

You are honestly the first person I know that said that. English is not my first language and I think it's easier to read than to hear it, well English as a whole is a pretty easy language. I even watch US TV shows with Eng subs, I just did that yesterday with Breaking Bad, I guess it became something natural to me since I'm used to it and I like it. I honestly can't comprehend why someone wouldn't be able to keep up with subs, most of them are at normal speed, I think that's just lazy. I even think that keeping up with Bakemonogatari's and Tatmi galaxy's dialogue is not that hard.
I suppose im different then lol
If was was to learn a new language Id much rather listen than read the text
I guess it just comes down to preference. I would most likely learn Japanese and I start watching the shows RAW it must be 100x better than dubs or sub
Aug 27, 2013 6:07 AM

Jul 2013
It's easier to follow when you can understand what they're saying without the need of text. Sometimes I'll watch Anime half-asleep and won't feel like following

Personally, it just sounds like Japanese VA's all sound alike. As if the entire dubbing process in Japan is made up of 5 people. Not to discredit it or anything, that's just how I hear.

I'll do both whenever the time rises. But you can never use subs to replace Dan Green.
Pikachu wants some
Aug 27, 2013 6:20 AM

Oct 2010
Vishnu_Karthik said:
jal90 said:

For being such a sub defender, your reading skills are pretty lacking. I am not trying to discredit the original material, in fact I would like you to show me where I ever attempted to do so; unless you believe that one can only bring this reason if you are a hardcore dub defender. This is exactly why I prefer to avoid this debate. It is set up in a way that the positions can only veer to extremes. If I defend a particular reason as valid in a certain context, I'm defending the whole set of arguments and therefore I'm a dub/sub fan. Fuck that.

Oh, and a sub is not original material. Masaaki Yuasa didn't make the subtitles himself, therefore, they are an added element.
Aug 27, 2013 6:23 AM

Feb 2010
jal90 said:
Vishnu_Karthik said:
jal90 said:

For being such a sub defender, your reading skills are pretty lacking. I am not trying to discredit the original material, in fact I would like you to show me where I ever attempted to do so; unless you believe that one can only bring this reason if you are a hardcore dub defender. This is exactly why I prefer to avoid this debate. It is set up in a way that the positions can only veer to extremes. If I defend a particular reason as valid in a certain context, I'm defending the whole set of arguments and therefore I'm a dub/sub fan. Fuck that.

<3
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 27, 2013 6:26 AM
May 2013
jal90 said:
For being such a sub defender, your reading skills are pretty lacking.
Ha ha no it is a pathetic excuse not legitimate on any grounds unless if the person is physically challenged.
I am not trying to discredit the original material
I never said you did.

The whole argument :-

"I don't have to read in the bottom of screen to know what's going so dub is better"

IS NOT A valid excuse no matter how you put it.
Oh, and a sub is not original material. Masaaki Yuasa didn't make the subtitles himself, therefore, they are an added element.
Maybe but its still closer and more faithful to the original than Dubbing which goes through hellish editing and localization B.S
spyrocoot said:
To quote therustbelt, "subtitles are for deaf people and homosexuals".
AND for people who don't want to watch a crappy dub made by deaf and homosexuals.
AGOLXAug 27, 2013 6:32 AM
Aug 27, 2013 6:27 AM

Jun 2013
I take it only few of you guys speak Japanese.

RAW > SUB & DUB
Aug 27, 2013 6:28 AM

Jul 2013
Jyupita said:
I take it only few of you guys speak Japanese.

RAW > SUB & DUB

Goes for the kill
Pikachu wants some
Aug 27, 2013 6:41 AM

Oct 2010
Vishnu_Karthik said:
jal90 said:
For being such a sub defender, your reading skills are pretty lacking.
Ha ha no it is a pathetic excuse not legitimate on any grounds unless if the person is physically challenged.

If you don't want a certain topic to be discussed, then don't create the topic. Write a blog post about it and enjoy your own circlejerk.

You don't need to be physically challenged to acknowledge that you have limits regarding everything. You are probably challenged if you believe otherwise.

Vishnu_Karthik said:
jal90 said:
I am not trying to discredit the original material
I never said you did.

You implied it. Because apparently anybody who ever uses this argument is a mentally challenged individual or a hardcore dub defender. Since I believe it's too rough to call me mentally challenged in our first online meeting, I assume I'm a hardcore dub defender for you.

Vishnu_Karthik said:
The whole argument :-

"I don't have to read in the bottom of screen to know what's going so dub is better"

Your whole argument:

"What are you, a retard?"

Wait what, this is not an argument.

Vishnu_Karthik said:
IS NOT A valid excuse no matter how you put it.

Read above.

Vishnu_Karthik said:
jal90 said:
Maybe but its still closer and more faithful to the original than Dubbing which goes through hellish editing and localization B.S

I think the word you are looking for is translation. And as far as I know a dub and a sub hold the same potential to mistranslate because the text can be the same in whatever format.
Aug 27, 2013 6:43 AM

Nov 2012
I also find it really annoying when they dub characters from Osaka to sound like southern hicks.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Aug 27, 2013 6:45 AM

Oct 2010
jal90, I admire your patience and some of your points are quite laudable, but I think you're fighting for a lost cause here. OP is what I like to call a "little green alien", he literally can't comprehend your logic.
Aug 27, 2013 6:46 AM

Oct 2010
My bad spyro, I feel like feeding the troll today.
Aug 27, 2013 8:26 AM

Jul 2012
didn't read other posts.

there is no fucking excuse unless you suffer from a learning disability like dyslexia
Aug 27, 2013 8:30 AM

Apr 2011
"Humans are incapable of multi-tasking, so how am I supposed to enjoy my anime when I'm too busy reading subs?" is a stupid and illegitimate reason. Why? Because humans are capable of multi-tasking. I don't care if you can't read the subs, at least don't make shit up to justify it.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 3 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 9

111 by decco6226 »»
59 seconds ago

» What happened to the CrunchyRoll forum? Did it go offline?

DesuMaiden - May 15

25 by alexw1020 »»
6 minutes ago

» Does episode length matter

ST63LTH - Yesterday

35 by JustMonaka »»
15 minutes ago

» Gurren Lagann & KlK creator said "Fanservice in anime is necessary, else humanity will disappear"

Dije - 4 hours ago

23 by TheMechaManiac »»
21 minutes ago

» what kind of fashion

arhttr - May 13

10 by Archean-Return »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.