Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 15, 2013 12:32 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yes, finally it came out!

The animation quality is pretty damn good imo. Poor Mion, she got injuried ;.; I have to admit that Rena is pretty intense as usual in Higurashi. Look @ this bloody knife:

Not too shabby for the first episode imo. Seems like there's some sort of epidemic that is on the outbreak. Wow, fire and smoke too. Intense. Poor Satoko...she got kidnapped at one point ;.; but I'm glad she's safe. Damn, all my nostologia this episode.
Aug 15, 2013 2:55 PM
Apr 2013
Stark700 said:

Not too shabby for the first episode imo. Seems like there's some sort of epidemic that is on the outbreak. Wow, fire and smoke too. Intense. Poor Satoko...she got kidnapped at one point ;.; but I'm glad she's safe. Damn, all my nostologia this episode.

Do you know when it takes place? As in is it after festival accompanying or another world? Also where did you watch this?
MCALAug 15, 2013 3:02 PM
Aug 15, 2013 3:06 PM

Nov 2011
MCAL said:

Do you know when it takes place? As in is it after festival accompanying or another world? Also where did you watch this?

It's a side story. However, Hanyuu appears so I would assume it takes place at least during or after Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. I haven't played the games yet but I think it's adapted from Ryukishi07's short story, Higurashi Outbreak.

Stark700Aug 15, 2013 3:13 PM
Aug 15, 2013 4:58 PM
Mar 2013
Also waiting for subs but is this a single movie ? or will there be multiple episodes ?
Talk to me! I don't bite!
Aug 16, 2013 9:00 AM
Jul 2013
I think its a OVA
If it was a movie it'd be more than 54 minutes. But it cant be a full lengthed series since it is 23+ minutes
Im guessing though
Aug 16, 2013 12:23 PM

Jul 2011
Rena... You are forever mine... Only mine :3

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 16, 2013 1:48 PM

Mar 2012
Hate to start by writing something banal, but badass Rena is badass. I actually flinched when that bullet grazed her cheek. And as always, Satoko is the damsel in distress, heh.

Pretty damn intense. Unfortunately, with my circa N2 Japanese (not sure if I passed it yet), I think I missed some important details in the conspiracy scene and the Hanyuu scene, so I couldn't quite follow what they meant about it being a brand new world in the end. What little I understood in the conspiracy scene sounded incredibly stupid, but I guess I gotta wait for the subs to clarify it.
Aug 21, 2013 4:49 AM

Apr 2008
Epic teamwork from Keiichi and Rena when it came to that battle against those gunmen... @.@
Aug 21, 2013 5:43 PM

Nov 2011
vonPeterhof said:

Pretty damn intense. Unfortunately, with my circa N2 Japanese (not sure if I passed it yet), I think I missed some important details in the conspiracy scene and the Hanyuu scene, so I couldn't quite follow what they meant about it being a brand new world in the end. What little I understood in the conspiracy scene sounded incredibly stupid, but I guess I gotta wait for the subs to clarify it.

Translation with my (I think i'll go for N4 this December) knowledge:
Virus has 99.9% chance to wipe out humanity, its waterborne, very infectous etc. so it spread with the soldiers who went to hinamizawa ...
U.N already allowed extermination of the infected. Virus changes personality, by making ppl more anxious (yeah standard for hinamizawa syndrome).
Oh and it's Japanese biological weapon developed by army and tested there for years...blahblah technical stuff... quite boring and incredibly stupid or rather nothing new indeed.

As for Hanyuu Scene:
HebichanAug 21, 2013 5:48 PM

Aug 24, 2013 11:55 AM

Mar 2012
@Hebichan Thanks! I guess I didn't miss anything major after all. As for "hikikomoru", I think just translating that as "being confined" would have worked.

Also, are you sure you want to go for just N4? From the looks of it you could do better than that. I myself never bothered with N5 and N4 and went straight for N3 last December.
Aug 31, 2013 1:19 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread cleaned.
Removed all posts that were asking/discussing subs. Please read the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516053#msg18239905
Sep 11, 2013 5:17 PM
Oct 2009
Thought it was interesting enough but it's like they were way too intense for kids. I remember Keiichi and Rena have some minor past experience with violence, and I do realize Mion walks around with a gun... But I was really disappointed that they weren't even scared of fighting and killing people. It had nice animation and a clean style which was very enjoyable, but I was hoping for more psychological horror instead of fight scenes and very long explanations.

I'll be looking forward to the next one anyway. It's Higurashi, after all.
Sep 15, 2013 8:23 PM

Mar 2009
Suzie said:
Thought it was interesting enough but it's like they were way too intense for kids. I remember Keiichi and Rena have some minor past experience with violence, and I do realize Mion walks around with a gun... But I was really disappointed that they weren't even scared of fighting and killing people. It had nice animation and a clean style which was very enjoyable, but I was hoping for more psychological horror instead of fight scenes and very long explanations.

I agree with this. I enjoyed this, but I think if I had to pick a flaw it would be that Keiichi and Rena just went out and slaughtered guys without showing much of any remorse whatsoever. Higurashi's previous seasons while violent had always been good about having consequences to violence. And while I realize the circumstances were serious(probably more than I realize at this point because still no subs) Keiichi and Rena were able to murder like crazy and in the end act as if they did nothing. I'm assuming the Hinamizawa syndrome probably played into it. If not I'm disappointed that they would portray Keiichi and Rena that way. While I prefer serious episodes of Higurashi over the filler stuff, I don't just want the violence as a form of fanservice. Yes I prefer it over Kira style fanservice but I don't want episodes where the characters just go on meaningless killing sprees for gore fanservice and not have it conducive to the overall story. Still enjoyed this though and will probably have more clarity about this after subs.
Sep 22, 2013 8:18 PM

Aug 2012
Rena was OP as fuck during the entire OVA.
Sep 22, 2013 9:12 PM

Jul 2008
Is there another episode upcoming or was this a standalone OVA?
Sep 22, 2013 10:37 PM

Feb 2013
Hinamizawa Syndrome on a global scale. Can't wait for the next episode. Rena and Keiichi are a badass tag team duo I hope they have more sequences like that.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Sep 23, 2013 12:45 AM

May 2010
Krissirk said:
Hinamizawa Syndrome on a global scale. Can't wait for the next episode. Rena and Keiichi are a badass tag team duo I hope they have more sequences like that.

there is no next episode.

just finished watching..6/10 nothing special.
Sep 23, 2013 1:12 AM

May 2013
Rena was such a killing it up in this episode.
Sep 23, 2013 2:13 AM

Jan 2008
There is no Higurashi for me without Nipah~
but oh well, it was quite good anyway
Sep 23, 2013 3:07 AM

Dec 2012
That was awesome! I really hope there's another episode. Hanyuu was acting very serious in that scene with Rika, much different to how she usually acted through out the show.
Sep 23, 2013 6:45 AM

Mar 2013
I'm soooooooooooooooooo happy that they went with that ED song. Couldn't possibly have chosen a better one. Not only is it Dear You, but it's Dear You -Visionen im Spiegel-. Best.

As for the OVA itself... not bad, not great. Some stupid things, some nice things. Like the animation quality. Rena and Rika are always <3. (in case you're wondering, I've basically only read the VNs... also some of the manga)

We'll see where it goes from here if there's actually going to be more episodes.
HarlequinaSep 23, 2013 6:50 AM
Sep 23, 2013 8:03 AM

Mar 2012
Harlequina said:
I'm soooooooooooooooooo happy that they went with that ED song. Couldn't possibly have chosen a better one. Not only is it Dear You, but it's Dear You -Visionen im Spiegel-. Best.
As for the OVA itself...

Exactly! Agree with everything.
Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself.
Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

REAL LIFE Anime videos on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCof9ppdHcniLAS_pFoRkqfw
Sep 23, 2013 8:37 AM
Sep 2011
I feel some of the atmosphere got lost in this alternate version. There was lots of gore but the way it happened didn't really affect me and I mostly blame it on the directing, with the fights lacking intensity and the mediocre animation certainly didn't help to improve things.

Not looking forward to the next few episodes after a rather average start.
Sep 23, 2013 8:42 AM

Oct 2010
That episode was amazing, I hope to see more of it ;w; I'd really like to see if they make a manga adaptation to it, also :3
✨ 23 🇬🇧 UK 💅🏻 Gay 🏫 University Student 🔞 NSFW 💪🏻 Bara artist 🐻 Bear lover 💁🏼 Lots of gay shit
Sep 23, 2013 10:36 AM

Jun 2012
The TV series of Higurashi, both season 1 and 2, handled the violence very well. The only time violence ever really occured was when a character was going crazy (or in Takano's case, killing with an ulterior motive). As graphic as Higurashi is, the violence never really felt out of place because it could all be explained as being a part of the Hinamizawa syndrome. In fact, it was genuinely interesting to watch the characters break down into a uncontrolled fit of paranoia, and proceed to slaughter everyone they know.

In this OVA, nobody is actually crazy, they're all just killing for the sake of killing. And the weird part is, nobody cares! For example, when Rena and Keiichi kill two people right in front of Keiichi's parents, Keiichi went back and told his father that he was going to leave to try and save Satoko. His father's response? "You better come back"! I had a very hard time digesting that scene. His father just watched Rena and his own son kill someone, and then he lets them go out into the town to rescue Satoko, knowing that many people will try to kill them. Totally unrealistic!

Rika and Hanyuu were somewhat awkward. Rika never said "Nipa!~" a single time, and Hanyuu had her "serious face" on the entire time, never letting a single "Auu!~" leave her mouth. Even though this is technically a very minor complaint, it feels like a much larger problem considering that they said those things so often in the TV series that they literally became attached to them as their trademark catchphrase. Once again, this isn't really that big of a problem, it's just something I really didn't like.

Perhaps it's because the OVA is only 50 minutes long, but it seemed like everything was happening far too quickly. There wasn't enough time for any sort of meaningful plot development, and instead at the start we're thrown into an instance of Hinamizawa where everyone is still normal, and then fifty minutes later everyone but the main characters are crazy and the entire town is destroyed.

This was very disappointing, as far as Higurashi goes. I love Higurashi, and thus I was very excited when I heard that a new OVA was going to be released. However, in the end, all I got was a rather forgettable experience that failed to deliver the unique "Higurashi" feeling that was present all throughout the TV series.

6/10 from me. At least it wasn't Kira!
LarasoSep 23, 2013 10:46 AM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Sep 23, 2013 10:43 AM

Nov 2011
^This. So much this. Well, maybe not the part about missing catchphrases, but still. Most of this.

Also, if anything, this made me want to go and try to scavenge the original short story. I have a feeling that DEEN fucked up again. I mean, it even happened on a minor scale with the original story, so what's to suggest that it wouldn't apply here as well?
Sep 23, 2013 10:52 AM

Jan 2012
Well this was a load of crap. Dropped it 25 minutes in.
No one is crazy, but killing is damn okay apperantly and they sure do kill randomly.
No one seems to give a shit and they didn't want to make a face for the father, so they just dropped making any angle involving his face.

The only thing good about this was the animation quality.
-It was so fast paced; i was like wat, people gonna die already? But no one is craz- Okay, they just kill anyway that's fine.
First now realised that I can't get a signature because disabled BBCode e.e
Sep 23, 2013 10:56 AM

Aug 2009
Just wow. Really enjoyable thing, great ending, interesting plot. Looking forward to it :>
Fire Emblem Heroes - 9261576256
Sep 23, 2013 10:56 AM

Jun 2012
fnland said:
No one seems to give a shit and they didn't want to make a face for the father, so they just dropped making any angle involving his face.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I'm almost 99% sure they never showed their faces in the TV series, either.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Sep 23, 2013 10:58 AM

Jan 2012
Laraso said:
fnland said:

It's been a while since I watched it, but I'm almost 99% sure they never showed their faces in the TV series, either.

They showed the face of the mother, but never the father. My only complaint is that the father was never really a part of the original serie, however he is getting a lot of screen time here. Atleast give the man a face.
First now realised that I can't get a signature because disabled BBCode e.e
Sep 23, 2013 10:59 AM

Nov 2011
Laraso said:
fnland said:

They did show his father's face in the manga-adaptation way back. Why couldn't they just use that?

EDIT: So they have shown both in some medium... This raises a really obvious question...
Sep 23, 2013 11:47 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
I have watched the subbed (englisch) Version of it. It is okay and tells a little bit more of informations about the hinamizawa virus and the behaviour from the ones who are infected.

It is a way better then Kira , but it does not let you get the feelings you had by ...koro ni and ...koro ni kai.
Sep 23, 2013 12:15 PM
Jul 2018
I have just watched it. It feels great to know that the good old days if Higurashi are back!
The OVA was amazing! Rena and her lovely bloody smile... I rly missed it. Looking foward to the next ep.
Sep 23, 2013 12:40 PM
Dec 2011
OVA was good knowing more info makes this Series very good
I am glad they puted "Dear you" my first time to hear it in Higurashi Animations
Sep 23, 2013 1:33 PM

Mar 2008
Did any of you know that there actually really is a virus sort of like the brain virus they talked about? It doesnt lead to killing people but more than half of all people have it and it does have an influence on personality/temperment.

Ange-Beatrice said:
Suzie said:

I agree with this. I enjoyed this, but I think if I had to pick a flaw it would be that Keiichi and Rena just went out and slaughtered guys without showing much of any remorse whatsoever. Higurashi's previous seasons while violent had always been good about having consequences to violence. And while I realize the circumstances were serious(probably more than I realize at this point because still no subs) Keiichi and Rena were able to murder like crazy and in the end act as if they did nothing. I'm assuming the Hinamizawa syndrome probably played into it. If not I'm disappointed that they would portray Keiichi and Rena that way. While I prefer serious episodes of Higurashi over the filler stuff, I don't just want the violence as a form of fanservice. Yes I prefer it over Kira style fanservice but I don't want episodes where the characters just go on meaningless killing sprees for gore fanservice and not have it conducive to the overall story. Still enjoyed this though and will probably have more clarity about this after subs.
I'm not sure if it was just poorly written in or if the virus evolved to have a slightly different effect?
traedSep 23, 2013 1:37 PM
Sep 23, 2013 1:50 PM

Mar 2010
this was actually pretty good,gave me a nostalgic boner
Sep 23, 2013 2:21 PM

Mar 2013
^ Agreed with some of the above peeps. The characters acting senselessly and all... not good, nope. But still, there's some nostalgia to get here - the animation is nice, the VAs are great (as usual), and of course the song choice for the ED is the best. And yes like DarkSageRK said, the last 10 or so minutes are worth watching either way.

It's a mixed bag.
Sep 23, 2013 2:24 PM

Apr 2013
It's about time they put subtitles on Outbreak.
an egomaniac and a fool

Sep 23, 2013 2:36 PM

Jul 2011
Well this was a disappointment. I usually don't have a problem with over the top violence, but it coming from Rena and Keiichi who seemed to enjoy killing people left and right made no sense. The lack of realistic emotions was quite jarring; like Rena stating that they killed her father like no big deal and Keiichi's father letting his son go on a dangerous mission to murder people just like that. Because of that, none of those action scenes held any weight.

The story itself wasn't that interesting and the animation, while I liked the colours, was pretty stale most of the time. It wasn't completely boring (or utterly stupid like Kira), but it was still very mediocre. It felt like a lame attempt to please the gore fans just like Kira was for the fanservice.
Sep 23, 2013 3:20 PM

Apr 2013
Harii said:
The lack of realistic emotions was quite jarring; like Rena stating that they killed her father like no big deal and Keiichi's father letting his son go on a dangerous mission to murder people just like that. Because of that, none of those action scenes held any weight.

I agree. I thought it was strange that when Rena kills the first 2 people, Keiichi doesn't even look surprised or tries to stop Rena. He just watched with a blank stare. And it also seemed out of place for Irie to shoot himself.
an egomaniac and a fool

Sep 23, 2013 3:32 PM
Apr 2010
Its some time ago i saw the series but i remember that rena killed before. Even before Keiichi moved to the village.
And they mention that they did prevent the outbreak, at some point. So i think its after the series.
maybe that explains a little why they are not so hesitant to kill.

Still it feels very rushed. I wished they had taken more time to unfold the hole thing and show more of the change from normal to insane.
Sep 23, 2013 4:19 PM

Jan 2012
Any info about next ova??

Cause it somewhat seems to be the only episode.
Sep 23, 2013 5:10 PM

Aug 2013
I love how nobody questions why Rika's voice suddenly drastically drops.

But I liked it quite a it, and I found that this was probably the best way to end this amazing series. It ties so much up in the end and explains really everything that was left unanswered at the end of Kai.

Also this episode shows just how scary Rena can be.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Sep 23, 2013 5:29 PM

Jan 2010
DarkSageRK said:
If you're gonna drop it anyway, skip to the last ten minutes. There's a relatively important scene that

Any chance you'd be willing to expand on this? I'm trying to put it together in my head, but it's a tenuous connection at best unless I'm just missing something really obvious.
Sep 23, 2013 6:08 PM

Nov 2009
Daverost said:
DarkSageRK said:
If you're gonna drop it anyway, skip to the last ten minutes. There's a relatively important scene that

Any chance you'd be willing to expand on this? I'm trying to put it together in my head, but it's a tenuous connection at best unless I'm just missing something really obvious.

I didn't seen anything more then usually staff (like those shown in Higurashi Rei), but it might be I've missed something due to lack of knowledge (haven't read past 4th vol of Umineko manga).

Hmm why does it have a ? on the episode count? Will there be more?!

I wonder if this is a World where there was no Takano (Season 2 Higurashi spoiler:
).
Sep 23, 2013 6:15 PM

Jul 2013
moonkingdomify said:
I love how nobody questions why Rika's voice suddenly drastically drops..

fairly certain it does this a lot through out the entire series. Rika is hundreds of years old and when she speaks seriously her voice has always taken that tone. lel.
Sep 23, 2013 6:25 PM

Aug 2011
After adding in that global scale stuff in the end they better make it happen. It was really good though seeing this kind of scenario.
Sep 23, 2013 6:39 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, Rena is one crazy bit chh...
Sep 23, 2013 7:54 PM

Jan 2010
Ah. Well that was more or less the conclusion I had come to based on what you said, then.
Sep 23, 2013 7:55 PM

Dec 2008
DarkSageRK said:

Sure.

---
So I'm guessing this is the only episode? I'd welcome more, since in the end, it's still Higurashi.

Well, it had things I didn't like, others were decent. But, it honestly felt more like a "dream" and some of the characters felt OOC.

Best scenes were Rika's expressionless face when Irie shoots himself, and where she lets out a few tears near the end.

Also...Dat Dear You ED & Takagi <3
sarroushSep 23, 2013 8:01 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Horror?

ylight67 - Jun 14, 2019

2 by ylight67 »»
Mar 15, 2020 6:58 PM

» When is this?

WitchJacqueline - Nov 28, 2014

1 by TimeGoesOn »»
May 25, 2015 4:37 PM

» Higurashi Outbreak's supposedly ending

I_Am_Drunk - Jul 19, 2014

1 by Luna »»
Jul 29, 2014 1:13 AM

» So, who else is excited? ( 1 2 3 )

Katsuro-chan - Dec 16, 2012

121 by doyakubo »»
Jan 10, 2014 9:49 AM

» fansubbing group for higurashi kaku

741shadow - Aug 29, 2013

31 by bajin666an »»
Oct 1, 2013 9:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.