Forum Settings
Forums

Is Anime just far superior to Western Cartoons?

New
Jul 27, 2013 11:52 AM
Jul 2013
While it is true that the original few seasons of the Simpsons, and a few other rogues on Cartoon Network held a great ground against even the best anime, it seems nowadays that is a vague thing of the past. Anime, specifically the Drama genre, when done right, just invokes a far more profound and beautiful feeling than what a American cartoon today would give. Honestly, I thought Clannad was the prime example of why I think anime is generally just so much better, but NANA is the one that truly sealed the deal in my opinion; I've never seen such magnificence in an American cartoon like this one.

What's your opinion on the subject?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 27, 2013 12:00 PM

Aug 2009
Well Japan certainly produces more cartoons.
-Fixing-
Jul 27, 2013 12:03 PM

Sep 2012
Is this topic gonna be posted everyday?
Jul 27, 2013 12:04 PM
May 2012
Anime is superior.
Jul 27, 2013 12:06 PM
Jul 2013
Wilio said:

The best ones the West produces nowadays all come from DC in my opinion, the Batman movies that come now and then are gems.
Jul 27, 2013 12:07 PM

Nov 2011
Adventure time>>>>>>Anime
The Art of Eight
Jul 27, 2013 12:17 PM
Jul 2012
Avatar alone is better than 80% anime.
Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Jul 27, 2013 12:33 PM

Jul 2007
Nooot exactly.
In terms of art style and uniqueness:
Adventure Time, Samurai Jack, few others beat most anime shows in terms of artistic approach and unique style.

In terms of plot, complexity, character depth and overall darker themes:
Avatar - I don't think i need to explain this one, do I?
Batman Beyond - Arguably THE BEST batman adaptation to date, with thousands of fucked up plotlines, ongoing series-arc-style mysteries, actual deaths and arguably darkest incarnation of batman so far.
Avengers: EMH - arguably not as dark as the above comic adaptation, but still amongst better ones. EMH and its popularity played quite a big part into Marvel deciding to do the avengers live action movie. While design-wise its nothing that outstanding, its one of last serialized serious Marvel shows with spot-on characterization for various marvel-verse characters.
Xmen-Evolution - after relatively "safe" approach of first x-men show, Evolution was a departure toward a darker and more serialized nature. The show was certainly not perfect, but it was one of arguably first mainstream cartoons to not hold back on actually going through with character deaths.

Otherwise American side is a mixed bag, but French animation studios produced quite a few great shows back in their time, stuff like The Magician - french amalgamation of Batman, Dr.Strange and Tony Stark, which tackled quite a few dark subjects, including, but not limited to drug abuse, rape, revenge, etc and went to quite a few dark places, especially towards the end of its run.

Bassically - stereotypes are bad. Quality depends on writing and budget, not country of origin.
AhenshihaelJul 27, 2013 12:48 PM
Jul 27, 2013 12:52 PM

Jun 2012
See this kind of topic so damn much xD

Haven't watched that many western cartoons that i can still remember, but i remember samurai jack being awesome, was never sure if that was american or asian, thread above makes me think it's american.

That's the only one that really sticks in my mind, well that and teen titans :D
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jul 27, 2013 12:58 PM

Dec 2012
Oh boy. It's because of stuff like this that some people want American cartoon and stuff like RWBY to be called anime.
Jul 27, 2013 3:59 PM

Jun 2013
DramaEnthusiast said:
Wilio said:

The best ones the West produces nowadays all come from DC in my opinion, the Batman movies that come now and then are gems.

Couldn't have said it better myself, not to mention tv series' like Batman Beyond.
Jul 27, 2013 4:03 PM

Nov 2011
Simpsons > Anime > Dog poop > Clannad.
I luv u
Jul 27, 2013 4:06 PM
Jul 2018
dankickyou said:

I think I just died a little inside
Jul 27, 2013 4:10 PM
May 2012
It comes down to preference in styles.
There is no "superior" or "inferior"
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Jul 27, 2013 5:01 PM

Nov 2010
FailAtLife said:
I'll give it 50, but even that's generous.
Jul 27, 2013 5:02 PM

Mar 2012
Starchaser187 said:
dankickyou said:

I think I just died a little inside

Indeed.

I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jul 27, 2013 5:15 PM
Jul 2018
Youtube clips > rest
Jul 27, 2013 5:29 PM
Jun 2012
I stopped watching Cartoons since the downfall of Cartoon Network. Although, I have watched Anime a while back, but It wasn't the genre I really enjoyed than what I'm currently watching now. Naruto was one of the earliest Anime I've watched and I pretty much followed It from start to Finish. To be honest, I didn't find Naruto to be interesting. I only watched It for the sake of watching It since there was nothing else to watch back then.

Today's Cartoons are GARBAGE. I prefer the old School Western Cartoons prior to 2008. Ed, Edd n' Eddy, Fosters Home, Samurai Jack, Code Lyoko (Season 1-4), Looney tunes, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexter's Lab, etc;

Since these shows have stopped airing, Anime has become my primary source for Entertainment. Not only It provides me Comedy, but also great Story. Heck, I even find Comedy in Anime funnier than the garbage Cartoons today.
Jul 27, 2013 5:39 PM
Apr 2013
We all know that Spongebob is teh best animation ever produced by man, not even animu can be compared to its greatness that are known to all plebeians that are residing the Earth.
Jul 27, 2013 6:18 PM

Apr 2011
These topics are getting old, but I haven't posted my opinion on it so to hell with it.

Like someone mentioned, Japan produces A LOT more animation then America. They also produce a lot more variety in terms of genres. So if you are judging quality by selection and variety, yea Japan is better in my opinion. If we are going on a show by show basis, and by genre,I don't know probably more equal at that point. A lot of "hardcore" anime fans seem to hate most things western, not all of them of course. I think in terms of comedy and kids shows, American and Japanese animation are tied. I grew up watching American cartoons and still watch shows like South Park and Futurama. I do wish Americans made a wider variety of animated shows, but we have Hollywood movies...

Some of my favorite cartoons:
Jul 27, 2013 6:29 PM

Jun 2012
family guy>all comedy anime

ORIGINAL SIGNATURE
Jul 27, 2013 6:37 PM
Mar 2013
Western animation and Japanese animation are usually aimed at different types of audiences.
Jul 27, 2013 6:40 PM

Apr 2011
Vixion said:

I honestly think Family Guy sucks. It was ok at first, but it really should have remained cancelled.
Jul 27, 2013 6:42 PM
May 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
Vixion said:

I honestly think Family Guy sucks. It was ok at first, but it really should have remained cancelled.
after the 4th season that show slowly went to shit. American dad/Bob's Burgers is where it's at
Jul 27, 2013 6:47 PM

Apr 2011
BlindSamurai said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
Vixion said:

after the 4th season that show slowly went to shit. American dad/Bob's Burgers is where it's at

Yea and it got cancelled after the 3rd season, so one more ok season then it went to shit... Should have just remained cancelled. I am not a big fan of American Dad either, haven't seen Bob's Burgers. From the major adult cartoons, The Simpsons, Futurama, and King of the Hill are my favorites. Haven't watched The Simpsons in ages though, probably since around Family Guy started.
Jul 27, 2013 6:48 PM

Sep 2012
I think some cartoons are better than most anime (namely The Boondocks), but as a whole anime is better than Western cartoons imo.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Jul 27, 2013 6:53 PM

Jul 2013
Slimek said:
Western animation and Japanese animation are usually aimed at different types of audiences.

this
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)dont hate me cause you aint me( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 27, 2013 7:34 PM

Feb 2013
Only cartoon that I will never forget will always be Megas XLR, everything else was just meh... some a bit better, some worse, but still meh...
Jul 27, 2013 7:36 PM

Dec 2009
Is it just? Hell no! It totally is! Infinite Stars Yes!!!
Jul 27, 2013 8:04 PM

Dec 2012
Oh for fuck sake, this topic is posted practically every day. But I'll humor you, it is a difficult question to answer. The answer really depends on what you mean by "better". Do you mean to ask if the average anime is better than the average cartoon, or if the best anime are better than the best cartoons? If the former, it's tough to say, as there are a lot of shitty cartoons, but about 85% of all anime are shit. If the latter, there isn't a doubt in my mind; Can anyone really look at Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, any of the top tier anime from a critical standpoint, and say that there are any cartoons that are better? I don't think so, or at least I hope not, even the best cartoons such as The Tick (Forget about the horrible live-action version), Samurai Jack, The Simpsons, and ATLA don't even come close. Sure, they're pretty amazing in their own right, but as good as Monster? I think not.

Also, for those of you who might nit-pick and say you don't like any of the anime I said were top-tier, those are just my favorites, put cartoons up against your personal favorite anime, and tell me cartoons are better.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Jul 29, 2013 1:26 AM

Jul 2013
FACT: Anime has Lucky Star and School Days
FACT: West has Batman: The Animated Series, Avatar:TLA, Ed Edd N Eddy, and even Regular Show and My Little Pony
FACT: Generally comparing 2 completely different cartoon styles/cultures/plots makes you sound ignorant.

With that said, I go with the side of I don't care.
Pikachu wants some
Jul 29, 2013 2:56 AM

Jun 2013
No anime beats CatDog.
Jul 29, 2013 3:37 AM

Aug 2008
DramaEnthusiast said:
What's your opinion on the subject?

In the past? No.

In the present? You bet it is. American animation in particular has been going down hill for the past 10-15 years or so. Unfortunately, the industry here refuses to change and produces one piece of crap after another.

I miss the likes of Animaniacs and stuff - but those are long gone.

TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

The "Simpsons" syndrome. Great in the earlier seasons. Going down the toilet the longer it goes on.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jul 29, 2013 3:41 AM

Oct 2010
FailAtLife said:

According to Sturgeon's law, 90% of anime is crap so this is not a compliment for Avatar.

My answer: maybe, maybe not.
Jul 29, 2013 3:59 AM

Jul 2011
I don't care the western animation anymore
Jul 29, 2013 4:03 AM

Jul 2011
If you'd asked me a couple of years ago, I would have said that anime is far superior. Now, not so much. Not because of the media itself, but because I've been watching less and less anime shows lately. On the other hand, I've been watching more western animation like Avatar, MLP, South Park and movies by Disney, Don Bluth and Dreamworks.
Jul 29, 2013 4:18 AM

May 2013
FailAtLife said:

One Piece alone is better than all American cartoons.
Jul 29, 2013 12:26 PM

May 2009
Eeew. Noo.
Jul 29, 2013 12:28 PM

Apr 2011
Well, I don't know about superiority, but I don't care about western stuff, and I'm only interested in anime.
Jul 29, 2013 2:00 PM

Jul 2007
Agent_Meow-Meow said:
I like both equally. I will agree however that the overall quality of most western cartoons has dropped over the past few years, but there are still a few great shows like Avatar the Last Airbender, Futurama, Archer etc...

as if Anime quality ALSO did not decrease over last few years.

Hello Highschool lolicon Moeblob generation.
Jul 29, 2013 2:57 PM

Dec 2012
Anime fans

Funny how they say anime is superior to cartoons but when there is a really good cartoon whose animation seem similar to the Japanese art, they want to claim it as anime. smh

In all seriousness,

Anime has an edge only because they have a variety of genre and appeal to all ages. Cartoons are pretty much directed at 2 different audiences. Either kids 10 under, or teens 13-17 older.

Kids cartoons are dumb downed so much to the point that its looks like its for 4 year olds.
Teens cartoons are usually comedy or action rather than any other genre. There are very few different genres for that age.
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online
Jul 29, 2013 3:01 PM

Jul 2013
SOExclusive said:

Kids cartoons are dumb downed so much to the point that its looks like its for 4 year olds.
Teens cartoons are usually comedy or action rather than any other genre. There are very few different genres for that age.

We can all agree Courage The Cowardly Dog is awesome and creepy as shit.
Pikachu wants some
Jul 29, 2013 3:02 PM
Mar 2011
storytelling anime wins = anime is better
yes i look a story tellinng first in a debate like this

cause how i rate anime would be unfare to non Japanese Tv Animation to messure that way
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 29, 2013 3:18 PM

Dec 2012
DateYutaka said:
storytelling anime wins = anime is better
yes i look a story tellinng first in a debate like this

cause how i rate anime would be unfare to non Japanese Tv Animation to messure that way

I rate Avatar last Airbender higher than plenty of anime that is on my list, and its not even anime.
Thats just my personal opinion
Jul 29, 2013 3:22 PM

Dec 2012
HKA-4M-T7 said:
SOExclusive said:

We can all agree Courage The Cowardly Dog is awesome and creepy as shit.

I actually loved the stupidity in the show. It was Courage screaming that made me love the show

Jul 30, 2013 11:39 AM
Jul 2013
why in this thread people keep saying cartoons is better ?
there are good cartoons like Avatar,Tom and Jerry,Batman,South Park series but they are too few and old?There're good Anime too,Trigun,Cowboy Bepop,Slayer,Crest of the Stars,LOGH,Monster,Cross Game,Usagi Drop,Black Lagoon,Maison Ikkoku,Touch,Gundam series,Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu,Irresponsible Captain Tylo,Master Keaton and there are plenty of them.
Anime has variety of genres than cartoons,better story,chartacter developement and yet people keep saying cartoons >>>>>>anime
why ?
Sorry,my english writing skill is not vey good
Jul 30, 2013 12:27 PM

Jul 2013
Because you don't need an overly complex story, godlike animation, or 2,000 stereotypical characters (or fanservice) to enjoy something. Sometimes I'd rather watch a mouse get away from a cat than 500 episodes of characters trying to do something, and failing at it.

It's like picking soda over expensive wine. While Wine has its diversity and charm, sometimes you'd rather lay back with a cold one. ;)
Pikachu wants some
Jul 30, 2013 3:21 PM

Aug 2008
HKA-4M-T7 said:
Because you don't need an overly complex story, godlike animation, or 2,000 stereotypical characters (or fanservice) to enjoy something. Sometimes I'd rather watch a mouse get away from a cat than 500 episodes of characters trying to do something, and failing at it.

I could watch Tom and Jerry over and over again.

But when it comes to this argument, I often find people comparing stuff from the past vs anime today. That's not equal representation, because "anime" as a term didn't even exist back in the days of Tom and Jerry, Hanna Barbera, etc. Back in the 50's and 60's, there was pretty much Astroboy and Speed Racer. I'm sure there are a few others, but I'm not bothering to mention those.

If you were to compare American animation vs Japanese animation today, America loses by miles. To think, Amercan animation manages to ruin Bugs Bunny with today's crap.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jul 30, 2013 3:36 PM

Jul 2012
Anime surpasses everything and anything, there is nothing that can top anime, ever.
End of discussion.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
Jul 30, 2013 5:57 PM

Dec 2012
In my opinion, Boondocks is one of the best comedy shows. On top of all Cartoon and Anime comedy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite Non-Anime Shows/Movies

EverRealm - Yesterday

2 by Spunkert »»
55 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7592 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » share your latest song/album purchases

DreamingBeats - Nov 3, 2023

39 by dreamingneon »»
5 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

12 by dreamingneon »»
5 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3392 by dreamingneon »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.