Forum Settings
Forums

Is it embarrassing to watch Anime in-front of your family?

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2013 10:00 AM

Apr 2012
Heh. I think for me it depends on the anime and where I am.
If I'm at my mother's she understands and gets anime is my thing.

Now at Father's house.... Yeah, I won't get caught watching anime there.

( ^ - ^ )
Jul 28, 2013 10:36 AM

Jul 2013
If it was something cute-ish, then yes. :p
Jul 28, 2013 4:50 PM

Jul 2013
Harem, Ecchi, or Animes like Lucky Star are embarassing to watch if any member is right behind you. Also if there is this some scene that shows any fan-service.

It took a lot of explaining. I now ready my hands on the spacebar and the browser's minimize button since then.
:/
ThisNameSucksJul 28, 2013 6:13 PM
Jul 28, 2013 6:22 PM

Jul 2013
I don't care. Never cared much, I just get annoyed if I am bothered... and have to pause it.. But it's also ok if I don't, I can understand Japanese with all the anime that I've seen..
Hentai's not my thing tho, used to be before for the laughs, but now I can only watch Anime on a daily basis. ^^ I'm ok saying that I am addicted to it. Yet I do not have like thousands of shelves nor books or figures laying around. I just watch alot of it. Eheh. Feel free to ask for some suggestions on them, I won't bother writting reviews tho, it's too much trouble... yet I remember all the stories on those animes.
Jul 28, 2013 8:35 PM

Jul 2013
No, they don't care.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Jul 28, 2013 10:01 PM

May 2010
Not really. They're used to it. Then again, I prefer to watch when no one is around.

Jul 28, 2013 11:23 PM

Nov 2011
Nope~

I actually found out about anime because of my family; Death Note, Trigun, Fruits Basket, etc.

Of course, I keep hentai and nudity away from the eyes of my family for the most part. If it's just there, like Ghost in the Shell or something, I don't really care.
Jul 28, 2013 11:51 PM

Mar 2013
kind of, but i'm proud of it and everyone in my family knows that i'm addicted to it. there are just times that i have to lock my door coz i'm watching somewhat ecchi
( i don't watch hentai. )
Jul 29, 2013 1:05 AM

Jul 2013
Watching anything in front of people is embarrassing to me. It could be Lucky Star or Family Matters or bloody Schindler's List, and I'll be embarrassed.

LE'MEE ALONE! GOKU JUST TURNED SSJ9
Pikachu wants some
Jul 29, 2013 7:46 AM

May 2013
My case is exactly the same as the OP.
Forever lost.
Jul 29, 2013 4:25 PM
Mar 2012
Of course it is. Anyone that denies it is lying, pretentious, or a child. In all likelihood, they're a combination of all three.
Jul 29, 2013 4:29 PM

Oct 2012
Why should I be embarrassed doing something that I love? My family has respect for me and my hobbies/ aren't judgmental pricks. In fact, I watched the dub of SOA just the other day in front of them.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 29, 2013 4:32 PM
Mar 2012
NickyCharisma said:
Why should I be embarrassed doing something that I love?
Because what you love and what are socially permissible are not the same things, and everything you do impresses on others to shape how they treat you and the rest of society. Your attitude is juvenile, but more than that, it's irresponsible.
In fact, I watched the dub of SOA just the other day in front of them.
Christ Almighty, this is beyond inexcusable, on so many levels.
Jul 29, 2013 4:37 PM

Oct 2012
Kalalification said:
NickyCharisma said:
Why should I be embarrassed doing something that I love?
Because what you love and what are socially permissible are not the same things, and everything you do impresses on others to shape how they treat you and the rest of society. Your attitude is juvenile, but more than that, it's irresponsible.

Yeah I'm just going to ignore the second half of your comment. As for the first half: short hair, don't care. I refuse to be ashamed of something that has no bearing on anyone's life but my own.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 29, 2013 4:47 PM
Mar 2012
NickyCharisma said:
Yeah I'm just going to ignore the second half of your comment. As for the first half: short hair, don't care. I refuse to be ashamed of something that has no bearing on anyone's life but my own.
Of course it has a bearing on more than just your life. Everything does. Shame isn't required, but being conscious of social mores is part of living a healthy life. Regardless of whether you want it to or not, your image is stained. The consumerist and individualist drivel that you're spouting in defense was debunked centuries before your birth.
Jul 29, 2013 4:48 PM

Oct 2012
Kalalification said:
NickyCharisma said:
Of course it has a bearing on more than just your life. Everything does. Shame isn't required, but being conscious of social mores is part of living a healthy life. Regardless of whether you want it to or not, your image is stained. The consumerist and individualist drivel that you're spouting in defense was debunked centuries before your birth.

Mmmmmm... no. I don't think so.
Jul 29, 2013 4:56 PM

Jun 2013
No ecchi no problem

Jul 29, 2013 4:56 PM
Mar 2012
NickyCharisma said:
The hallmark of an intelligent response: rote denial.

Put more effort into your self-analysis and you won't be so gung-ho about finding and conforming to your favorite identity clique. Nor will you think it's harmless to flaunt your eccentricities in front of the people who offer the most credible and accessible account of your personality.
Jul 29, 2013 4:59 PM

Apr 2011
Depends on which family member. My mother, brother and grandmother don't care. But my stepfather is a racist so he has a problem with it.

I also have this aunt who is as subtle as a bullhorn so she tends to ask the typical questions very, very loudly.

What is that?
What language are they speaking?
Are those cartoons?
Aren't you a little old for cartoons?
etc.
Jul 29, 2013 5:01 PM

Oct 2012
Kalalification said:
NickyCharisma said:
The hallmark of an intelligent response: rote denial.

Put more effort into your self-analysis and you won't be so gung-ho about finding and conforming to your favorite identity clique. Nor will you think it's harmless to flaunt your eccentricities in front of the people who offer the most credible and accessible account of your personality.

You're definitely new to the forums if you expect me to have an intelligent response! Onto your comment, it's vapid and ultimately meaningless. You can string together 25 cent words together and call it an argument if you want, but it doesn't make it good.
Jul 29, 2013 5:09 PM

Jan 2013
When it's not ecchi then no.
Jul 30, 2013 3:16 AM

Jul 2011
lol, sometimes I watch anime WITH my parents, so they're totally cool with that.
Jul 30, 2013 3:24 AM
Aug 2011
No.
Jul 30, 2013 7:40 AM

Jan 2013
no, except it's hentai
Jul 30, 2013 8:22 AM

Apr 2013
Yes, because cartoons are for children.
Jul 30, 2013 9:24 AM
May 2012
Everyone watches something stupid in their own time, I just happen to watch Chinese cartoons.
So it's nothing ti be embarrassed about.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Jul 30, 2013 12:10 PM

Jun 2013
Sometimes, yeah. When I'm watching an anime with a fair amount of fan service.
Aug 1, 2013 12:17 AM

Mar 2013
I would say yes,but the truth is I don't really know,since I always switch to something else when someone enters the room,guess it's time to actually find out.
So Far,so Good...So What!
Aug 1, 2013 12:28 AM

Jan 2013
My parents know I watch anime but it's not like they watch with me. The computer is in a different room from where they are but when they come inside they see me watching anime but it's not embarrassing I don't watch anything bad anyways and even if they come inside in a kissing scene or something it's just a kiss nothing bad so overall no it's not and I really don't care what they think :P
Aug 1, 2013 12:43 AM

Jul 2013
Depends on what they walk in on.
Aug 1, 2013 1:17 AM

Jul 2013
I do watch some titles in front of them; if the parents are in the house then Ecchi is a no-no. Normally I would be watching shows that are more story-oriented like Macross, Initial D and Gundam. My dad and I even begin talking about the show whenever he tags along.

When they aren't, that's when I bring out my ecchi titles like To-Love Ru, Sora no Otoshimono and Haganai. I mentioned the three above since my younger sister happened to watch along just for fun and was laughing at all three until the end. She found Sora no Otoshimono the funniest among the the titles she watched alongside me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2013 1:21 AM

Jul 2013
If its something like Hellsing or Higurashi, I'd have no problem and actually hope they would get interested in it. However if its Ecchi....er..would depend on the person. Big boobs, up-skirts and the such is kinda hard to explain to others.
Aug 1, 2013 4:51 AM

Jul 2013
Hell no all my mom hears about from me is anime and will hear Japanese music I don't pause my anime for no one
I am awesome Don't argue with me because you know I am
Aug 1, 2013 4:57 AM

Dec 2012
i live with my dad and he doesn't really care what i do.
Aug 1, 2013 5:14 AM

Jul 2013
Yes, especially when I watch romcom (which is the genre I most watch) because I maintain the image in our family I'm like the badass lmao
Aug 1, 2013 7:10 AM
May 2009
Depends what you are watching. For example I won't be watching To Love Ru Darkness with my family. But I will watch black Lagoon with them.
Aug 1, 2013 5:19 PM

Jul 2013
PDot19 said:
If they come in at a funky time in the episode, yes.

This. Every time.

What doesn't Kill me, Makes me Stronger.
Stand up and walk. Move on. After all, you have perfect legs to stand on.
Aug 1, 2013 8:13 PM

May 2009
Why the heck watches anime in front of their family or in public places. I have a computer in my room so that is never a problem.......then yet I haven't watched anime in months.........well not a new one anyways.
Aug 9, 2013 8:27 PM
Aug 2012
My dad's watched a couple of anime with me (The Law of Ueki, Escaflowne). My mom seemed curious in Chihayafuru once as well. Anime in general? No. Ecchi/other weird scenes? Yes.

Heh...just earlier this summer I attempted to watch the first episode of Free! around my (both female, teenage) cousins. Their response?

"What the heck are you watching?"
Aug 9, 2013 8:37 PM

Jul 2008
Only if it's lewd. YOU KNOW THEY WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

I am the senpai that notices you.

Aug 9, 2013 10:42 PM

Apr 2012
Nope.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 9, 2013 10:44 PM

Oct 2012
It's not like they give a shit about what I'm doing on the computer anyway :D
Aug 9, 2013 10:59 PM

Dec 2012
I make my family watch anime, although they still don't see why I watch it so much.
Never forget! Don't believe in you who believes in me, don't believe in me who believes in you, believe in you...who believes in yourself!
Aug 12, 2013 7:53 AM
Feb 2013
Not always, there have been times where I would watch Fullmetal Alchemist while my older brother was in the room with me. I remember when my brother was playing Madden in my room while I was watching the episode where Nina gets turned into a chimera and at one points he says, "This show is so depressing!" I found it funny how he was getting into the show even though he wasn't watching it.

Also, I watched an episode of Code Geass on my phone in the car while my family were traveling to Upstate, New York. I had my headphones on, so no one cared what I was watching.
No_Longer_ActiveAug 13, 2013 7:03 AM
Aug 12, 2013 8:29 AM

Aug 2013
I remember once my family's Foxtel (pay TV, equivalent to the US' cable I'm guessing) was given 2 weeks of free movie channels. It just so happened that Afro Samurai was being played during this time. Long story short, I started watching it with my mother in the room, intense sex scene passed, she left.. Not a great first impression for her I'm guessing.
Aug 12, 2013 8:47 AM

Jul 2012
I don't mind that my family knows that I do .
"However, by that point you'll have been torn into pieces."
Aug 12, 2013 9:51 AM

Mar 2013
You're not alone.
Aug 12, 2013 10:08 AM

Aug 2012
I didn't start watching anime until I was independent so...
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Aug 12, 2013 1:35 PM

May 2013
Depends on what I'm watching. If I'm watching some ecchi anime, it can get awkward as hell when a random tit flies onto the screen randomly, but other than that, I 'm fine with watching every other genre in front of my family.
Aug 12, 2013 4:43 PM

Jun 2013
Well, if the whole family watching with you, why would you ?
Its more enjoyable.

Its not like you did something wrong, anime is like any other media.
So I don't really see why
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Women live longer than men

MUFFlN - 2 hours ago

8 by Technopunk »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » banality of evil and milgram experiment

deg - May 9

38 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts? ( 1 2 )

Freshell - May 5

79 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you celebrate your Birthday ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - May 7

50 by DesuMaiden »»
18 minutes ago

» what would you do if you had infinite money? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 5

66 by DesuMaiden »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.