Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2013 2:06 PM

Oct 2011
sakuraoogami said:

Let's focus on how cute Naegi is.

Naegi is the best girl
Jul 4, 2013 2:08 PM

Sep 2011
finalmessenger said:
sakuraoogami said:

Naegi is the best girl
I love how self aware the creator was about this series

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 4, 2013 2:17 PM

Apr 2013
finalmessenger said:
sakuraoogami said:

Naegi is the best girl

I can imagine him being gender flipped, and yet wouldn't notice the difference. My favourite character, by the way.
Jul 4, 2013 2:51 PM

Mar 2008
zakkun89 said:

Porcelain Bitch. I hope she dies first.

Jul 4, 2013 3:25 PM

Jul 2012

Really, can you stop. You're throwing the entire thread off-topic to rant on about the fandom. We get it, you're frustrated and you hate the fandom. You know what? The fandom was the reason I got into it. They encouraged me to. So it's both off-putting AND on...putting? to different people.

Honestly, you're just derailing this thread and flaming the people in the fandom in the process.
ihateeveryoneJul 4, 2013 3:46 PM
Jul 4, 2013 3:30 PM

Jul 2012
Kung-Fu-Jesus said:
zakkun89 said:

Porcelain Bitch. I hope she dies first.

I hate you.
Jul 4, 2013 3:32 PM
Jan 2010

I can't tell if you're either hating on DR or you actually like it but just really, really hate the fanbase - your posts just seem to present contradictory views, it'd be really helpful if you'd clarify that so I know where you stand.

Also, what you're saying may be true on Tumblr and the SA Forums - I don't know, I don't want to actually expose myself to them purely because I dislike spoilers, I've unintentionally ruined things for myself by accidentally seeing them when I wasn't supposed to in the past, so I really don't want to do it here.

Anyway, yeah, what you're saying may be true there (apologies for going on a tangent), but we're not on there, are we? We're on MAL, a place that, so far, has been blissfully free of the horribly obnoxious fans of DR that are so common in fanbases that exist for pretty much everything - don't forget that, however bad you may think the fanbase to be, there are still much, much worse fanbases out there, so much so that DR looks pretty tame in comparison.

But yeah, I digress, I'd really, really appreciate if you stopped going on about the fandom in a thread that's meant to be about the anime. Please? It's not that hard to do.
Masserati_Jul 4, 2013 3:57 PM
Jul 4, 2013 3:33 PM

Sep 2011
masserati94 said:

ok if you guys are gonna make some really pointless online argument then go ahead, but at least have the courtesy to spoiler tag your walls of text. Seriously its annoying

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 4, 2013 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
i think the anime's really great so far and worth the wait!! i'm kinda disappointed in the low number of episodes, but i guess that leaves a shorter wait for a super dangan ronpa 2 anime!
Jul 4, 2013 3:40 PM

Mar 2013
I personally can say that i loved and hated it at the same time.
I'm glad that the ost and seiyuus are the same of the game. But only the ending is new (which i love btw) and the animation is not very nice. at least decent.
As for the course, they shortened a lot of events into something more quick, which i think it's ok too.
I'm not going to spoil anything but for example, when Sayaka fell down, the pose was from a kind of cliche scene where she bumps into Naegi.
The character poses were also very similar to the game. in conclusion, this needs a bit more originality from the studio.
But i'm not saying it's bad. Hope nobody wants to kill me xD (I played the game)
Jul 4, 2013 3:42 PM
Jan 2010
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

ok if you guys are gonna make some really pointless online argument then go ahead, but at least have the courtesy to spoiler tag your walls of text. Seriously its annoying

Sorry, the quote was so long that I probably should have spoiled it, my bad. I'm just kind of used to seeing long posts on the rare occasion that I do visit the forums that I did it myself.

I'll make sure not to do it again.
Jul 4, 2013 3:55 PM

May 2012
This episode was really great, and I think they did a fine job working with things like time constraints, etc.

Is it just me or is Naegi's head huge? Actually, everyone has a giant head but it really stands out for Naegi because he's so small.

Jul 4, 2013 3:59 PM

Apr 2010
Eh, it was... okay.

The pacing was too rushed, honestly. And the tone felt really off to me. I think going that far into the cartoony was the wrong choice.

But it didn't make any gigantic adaptation mistakes, and it somewhat impressed me a couple times, so we'll see. If they can pull off some of the dramatic moments from the game, that might go a long way.

Watching it again with subtitles will definitely help me figure out how I feel about it.
Jul 4, 2013 4:02 PM
Jan 2010
Decent first episode.
I WANT TO SEE THE TRIALS.
THOUGH, I still don't know how they're going to execute the investigations and trials in the anime.
13 episodes? :|
Jul 4, 2013 4:49 PM

Mar 2009
Oh, Eve. You need to sleep.
Jul 4, 2013 4:56 PM
Jan 2013
Problem with Dangan Ronpa fanbase is that they never played game but read the translation, and call that I 'played' it.

Which means there can never be establishment of good fanbase.
Jul 4, 2013 5:01 PM

Apr 2010
Kitchiri said:
Problem with Dangan Ronpa fanbase is that they never played game but read the translation, and call that I 'played' it.

No one cares. This is for discussion of the first Dangan Ronpa anime episode. If you really need to whine to strangers on the internet about a fanbase you don't have to participate in like a five-year-old, go to the thread for that.
Jul 4, 2013 5:08 PM
Jan 2010
sporkaganza said:
Kitchiri said:

No one cares. This is for discussion of the first Dangan Ronpa anime episode. If you really need to whine to strangers on the internet about a fanbase you don't have to participate in like a five-year-old, go to the thread for that.

Oh my lord, thank you for saying this. It needed to be said.

If you're here to moan and whine about the fanbase, then get out of this thread and form your own hate thread if you really want to - no one here is interested in what you have to say, especially when what you're doing is just blatantly trying to spark conflict. It honestly does not matter if we haven't played the game when there was no chance that it would be translated in the first place, so we read the LP. Seriously. Get over it already.
Jul 4, 2013 5:11 PM

Jul 2012
Guys I didn't stay up for fourteen god damn hours to see people complaining about the fanbase on my thread.
Jul 4, 2013 5:13 PM
Dec 2010
I'm surprised everyone seems to have liked the first episode so much. I found it hard to take the episode seriously because of the tone. Also, the character's personalities come on way too strong.
Jul 4, 2013 6:18 PM
Jan 2013
sporkaganza said:
I also do not care how much so called 'fanbase' try to shield themselves from the obvious fact hurr durr. I'm merely stating the obvious here - never whined.

Seishun_Denpa said:
I'm surprised everyone seems to have liked the first episode so much. I found it hard to take the episode seriously because of the tone. Also, the character's personalities come on way too strong.
This was actually quite true. It was like that in game as well, at the start before the 1st trial.
KitchiriJul 4, 2013 6:23 PM
Jul 4, 2013 8:09 PM

Sep 2011
Kitchiri said:
I also do not care how much so called 'fanbase' try to shield themselves from the obvious fact hurr durr. I'm merely stating the obvious here - never whined.

Hes not disagreeing with you or shielding himself genius, hes saying youre off topic entirely and also acting like a 5 year old, both of which is spot on

So if you want to have this childish argument, go nuts its your choice, but go do it where its relevant on your profile's personal comments or whatever.
JizzyHitlerJul 4, 2013 8:12 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 4, 2013 8:35 PM

Oct 2011
Great voices, I have been recommended this game a couple years ago by my sempai and I never quite finished the story ^^', I was ecstatic when the anime came out and it looks quite promising indeed sofar
Jul 4, 2013 9:52 PM

Jan 2010
I wonder why that gold sword was in Naegi's room at that time? How are they gonna explain how that got there in the first place (unless Maizono grabbed it beforehand and placed it in Naegi's room without actually asking Naegi to get it). Anyhow I like the way they are condensing it so that there will more focus on the class trials.

Zandatsu (斬奪 - "cut and take")
Jul 4, 2013 9:57 PM

Feb 2013
that was fucking sweet, love survival themes, celestia my fav
Jul 4, 2013 10:14 PM
Jan 2013
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Hes not disagreeing with you or shielding himself genius, hes saying youre off topic entirely and also acting like a 5 year old, both of which is spot on

So if you want to have this childish argument, go nuts its your choice, but go do it where its relevant on your profile's personal comments or whatever.
As if I would take complete non-senseless insult like being '5-years old' for a single statement on fandom. Yeah. Completely ok with it.
Jul 4, 2013 10:30 PM

Apr 2010
If you need to vent your anger at the danganronpa fanbase, just make a blog about it, no one wants to hear that stuff in the anime discussion. Cool with that? I said it nicely, too, so please stop.

Overall this looks like a good adaptation, albeit a bit rushed. Animation's pretty meh though.
Jul 4, 2013 10:51 PM

Apr 2013
WaffleMint said:
I personally can say that i loved and hated it at the same time...
The character poses were also very similar to the game. in conclusion, this needs a bit more originality from the studio.
But i'm not saying it's bad. Hope nobody wants to kill me xD (I played the game)

I think you shouldn't expect too highly from this director. This is the same man who directed the recently reviled abomination that is Devil Survivor 2: The animation. To be somewhat fair, the man has worked on Angel Beats!, Humanity has declined, Persona 4, Carnival Phantasm, and Seto no Hanyome. All of which had an emphasis in comedy, but then again, comedy is subjective, some of which gained mixed reviews.

If there is anything to say on a positive note, it is that most of what he does is keep the anime adaptions to be as faithful to the original source as much as possible. Whenever he deviates, like the added humor to some of the anime he's worked on, and as well as writing original plot lines, it tends to end up making people have thiiiiiiiiiis face expression. >:(
Jul 4, 2013 11:09 PM
Jan 2013
MrOCD said:
I think you shouldn't expect too highly from this director. This is the same man who directed the recently reviled abomination that is Devil Survivor 2: The animation. To be somewhat fair, the man has worked on Angel Beats!, Humanity has declined, Persona 4, Carnival Phantasm, and Seto no Hanyome. All of which had an emphasis in comedy, but then again, comedy is subjective, some of which gained mixed reviews.

If there is anything to say on a positive note, it is that most of what he does is keep the anime adaptions to be as faithful to the original source as much as possible. Whenever he deviates, like the added humor to some of the anime he's worked on, and as well as writing original plot lines, it tends to end up making people have thiiiiiiiiiis face expression. >:(
I personally think Kishi Seiji is a great directors - but devil survivor was indeed kinda ended with its worst possible way, with extremely bad pacing. Exactly same thing happened with Angel Beats. However P4 was such a great adaptation for having such a minimal budget. About faithfulness to original, I think there is no really concerns with as you said

Judging from this 1st episode, they cut the ones that is needed and kept what is needed - almost juuuuuussssstttt enough pacing for fitting series in to 13 episodes. I think that is a good sign for the series.
Jul 4, 2013 11:29 PM

Apr 2013
Kitchiri said:
MrOCD said:

I personally think Kishi Seiji is a great directors...

I'm actually glad to see that someone disagrees with me. Gives more hope from all the despair. ;)

I actually liked most of the anime he has directed so far, with the exception being Devil Survivor 2: The Animation. I, too, am confident that he won't do anything that would upset the fans and viewers this time around. Dangan Ronpa's anime seems fine for the time being, my opinion of it is subject to change, of course.

My only wish is that the show wasn't 13 episodes. Even just 1 more episode would give better breathing space.
Jul 4, 2013 11:34 PM
Jan 2013
MrOCD said:
My only wish is that the show wasn't 13 episodes. Even just 1 more episode would give better breathing space.
You actually need to blame on current broadcasting system of Japan, which is always cour based. That really gives not much choice to the content - either 1-cour to be rushed or 2-cour to make series loosen and explode its budget. Most of game adaptation unfortunately, do not really have budgeting power unlike some light novels which have big publishing company behind - which explains why devil survivor had to become 1-cour as well instead of 2-cour.

What I can really say to anyone upset about this series being 1-cour is just lower your expectation a bit, knowing that it can't be helped - it's not Kishi's choice to make it 1-cour. Just hope that best outcome comes out with limited capacity of quality.
Jul 4, 2013 11:55 PM

Apr 2013
Seems a bit rushed, but I love it nonetheless
Jul 5, 2013 1:24 AM

Apr 2013
Is there a sub out or it is just a popular game in Japan?
Usually an anime reaches more than 1 page when the subs are out .
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jul 5, 2013 2:03 AM

Apr 2009
ihateeveryone said:

I've been up for fourteen hours waiting to create this thread and watch this episode. I'm going to cry. This is beautiful.

lmao i guess i'll go watch this now
Jul 5, 2013 2:19 AM

Sep 2012
I can already tell that this will be the show of the season. This first episode is AMAZING!
So much potential in this show
Jul 5, 2013 2:20 AM

Sep 2011
Good episode for introductions. Looks like the Killing will begin next episode
TyrelJul 5, 2013 2:35 AM
Jul 5, 2013 2:24 AM

May 2011
ARHH!! Doraemon voice!! I miss this one!
Jul 5, 2013 2:42 AM

Jul 2012
I just watched it subbed and I think I've went to heaven.

I know this may seem average to some people, and the pacing is kind of.. weird, to put it bluntly, but just.. oh my god.
Jul 5, 2013 2:48 AM
Feb 2007
Hmm....must kill one to escape....so 7 murders results in 7 people free which accounts for 14 people. What's going to happen to the 15th person when there's no one left to kill? Was that by chance what the prologue was highlighting? (Avoid spoiling me please)

Also....I had no expectations set for this anime and it was simply superb.

My fav VA is there too...hope he doesn't die too soon/horribly if at all.
Jul 5, 2013 2:49 AM

May 2013
How'd the sword end up in Naegi's bedroom?
Lol, in all honesty, the episode moved a little too fast. I like it how some parts of the first few minutes looked like the game itself, haha.

I'm not dissing on it, of course. I've played and finished the game already(translation releasing near the anime release date? lol coincidence), and I'm most certainly awaiting the despair you guys will feel. :D

4/5, I suppose. Let's not hope they rush everything next time. Also, can it have a better opening? That was just the opening theme for the game itself. :(
Jul 5, 2013 2:51 AM

Sep 2011
Zhabin said:
Hmm....must kill one to escape....so 7 murders results in 7 people free which accounts for 14 people. What's going to happen to the 15th person when there's no one left to kill? Was that by chance what the prologue was highlighting? (Avoid spoiling me please)

I haven't played the game, but what gives you the idea that only 7 murders will happen and 7 ppl will be free?
Jul 5, 2013 2:56 AM
Feb 2007
Tyrel said:

I haven't played the game, but what gives you the idea that only 7 murders will happen and 7 ppl will be free?

Simply making assumptions since a good portion of the characters APPEAR to be against killing anyone and that there's no reason to kill more than 1 person each. Of course there could be a psycho murderer who just enjoys killing.

I figured it might be some horrible punishment for the character (if there is one) that refuses to kill anyone while keeping himself alive until the end. Truly despair inducing, no?
ZhabinJul 5, 2013 3:00 AM
Jul 5, 2013 2:59 AM

May 2013
Zhabin said:

No spoiling, but murdering does not always mean someone gets to escape.
BIG SPOILER FOR NEXT EP(I THINK) YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
VoidNoodleJul 5, 2013 3:26 AM
Jul 5, 2013 3:00 AM

Sep 2011
jkun said:
boring. dropped.

Peace.
Jul 5, 2013 3:01 AM

May 2013
jkun said:
boring. dropped.

No lemon rule? :(
Jul 5, 2013 3:02 AM

Apr 2013
Zhabin said:

Not that spoilery.
Jul 5, 2013 3:08 AM

Feb 2008
Interesting start, but considering the hype behind this show I was expecting a bit more.
Also, that dude's hair gives the Yu-Gi-Oh characters a run for their money.
Jul 5, 2013 3:11 AM

Apr 2013
MaffleWaffle said:
Zhabin said:

Not that spoilery.

True, but in a sense it is because
Jul 5, 2013 3:12 AM

Nov 2012
I enjoyed the first episode, finding the concept of being stuck in a place with nothing to do and someone must kill someone to escape a place to start an interesting story, only I'm not liking the characters just yet, and unfortunately I doubt I will, none of them seem particularly memorable (Aside from their appearances I mean.)

Jul 5, 2013 3:18 AM

May 2013
Orevataf said:
I enjoyed the first episode, finding the concept of being stuck in a place with nothing to do and someone must kill someone to escape a place to start an interesting story, only I'm not liking the characters just yet, and unfortunately I doubt I will, none of them seem particularly memorable (Aside from their appearances I mean.)

I'm pretty sure you'll remember some of them, like Yamada, who I think is a descendant of Keima, without the...appeal? haha :)

Anyway, almost all of the characters are pretty memorable, but you'll find that out of course when time passes.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

434 by Jax »»
Feb 7, 5:07 AM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

148 by berlinza6as »»
Jan 7, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

263 by Gator »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.