Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 28, 2013 5:31 PM

Nov 2010
Wallmer90 said:
There's no age limit for fun is there?
The age of consent is 16 in most countries.
Jun 29, 2013 2:38 AM

Feb 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Wallmer90 said:
There's no age limit for fun is there?
The age of consent is 16 in most countries.

Nowadays it's as low as 14; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2013 2:52 AM
Oct 2009
I'd say 100.
Jun 29, 2013 2:54 AM

Jun 2013
Shrabster said:
I will watch anime and rock my wallscrolls and figures when I'm in a retirement home. Ain't no shame in my game.

Snap.
Jun 29, 2013 4:13 AM

Jan 2012
How old is too old for breathing? Never, that is.
If you want concrete proof that age does not matter for enjoying anime, look for a person named GrumpyJiisan on Youtube.
Jun 29, 2013 4:19 AM

Nov 2012
CodingSession said:
If you want concrete proof that age does not matter for enjoying anime, look for a person named GrumpyJiisan on Youtube.
I don't know if i need to respect this guy or pity him :/
Jun 29, 2013 4:32 AM

Feb 2013
CodingSession said:

I actually checked that, that guy is a legend even though I don't have a clue what he is talking about xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2013 4:38 AM

Jun 2013
CodingSession said:
*snip* ...look for a person named GrumpyJiisan on Youtube.

Man, not sure if success story or...

Anyway, I don't think there is an (nor should there be any) age limit for watching anime. As long as you enjoy watching anime, it's okay to watch it...no matter how old or young you are.
IF YOU DON’T SHIP MY OTP, I SWEAR TO GOD I’ll be okay with that.
IF YOU DON’T LIKE THE STUFF THAT I LIKE, I’M GONNA respect the fact that you have your own taste.
Jun 29, 2013 5:06 AM

Oct 2012
Holw old is too old for anime? That's like asking how young is too young for lolicons.
Jun 29, 2013 6:38 AM

Aug 2012
Ask a 12 year old "How old is too old for watching cartoons?"

12 year old said:
eight.
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jun 29, 2013 6:45 AM

Apr 2012
It kind of depends doesn't it?

I'd say some anime should probably just be watched by younger people but there are plenty of mature anime which are suitable for the older generation if they have an open mind. I'd say Fate/Zero and Cowboy Bebop are suitable for pretty much anyone, aside from people who're a bit too young to enjoy them properly.
Hachikuji: Araragi-san, you don't look even the least bit apologetic. You should at least say something after touching a girl's delicate chest!
Araragi: *Clueless look* Thanks?

Bakemonogatari, Episode 5.
Jun 29, 2013 6:56 AM

Jun 2013
You're never too old to watch anime. My dad loves Ghost In The Shell. He's 37 now. (I'm 19.. Weird huh, my dad's still young..) I guess the only time you quit watching anime is when you lose your eyesight or when you have no more time to watch anime. (Due to a very busy schedule.)
Jun 29, 2013 6:57 AM

Aug 2011
You know what I find funny? I'm 21, people don't give a shit if I watch The Simpsons or Futurama, however they see me watching an anime, and suddenly they ask why am I watching a kids show. Why does the double standard exist that anime is only for young kids?
Jun 29, 2013 9:25 AM

Feb 2012
I suppose it would be somewhat disturbing if I listed to Justin Bieber at my age (personally, I find it disturbing that ANYONE listens to him, but . . .) I don't think there's anything wrong with liking things outside a generational gap, but there is a point where it can get a little creepy. That said, I agree with mitch3315; many Americans are ignorant to the fact that anime is prorated. How many adults like Family Guy? IMHOP, that's more "cartoony" than most anime.
Jun 29, 2013 3:06 PM

Jun 2013
Rabidus said:
As an American, I often feel like others around me don’t understand my passion for anime. My hackles rise when I hear it referred to as cartoons. But then I wonder, am I too old for anime? Many of the shows I watch and enjoy are geared toward high school kids (Clannad, Working!, True Tears, Naruto, etc.). But I’m in my thirties. I’ve had people my age say something like, “Oh, yeah, I’ve watched anime. That one about the ninjas. Something Scroll.” And I’m like, “That’s the worst anime ever, you can’t compare it to that.”

Not just anime, manga too. When I’m seen reading it I often make the excuse, “It’s research for my next novel.” Since I write young adult speculative fiction, I can sometimes get away with that. But let me ask this list. How old is too old for anime? Am I the only middle-aged adult who hasn’t grown out of it? Does that make me a freak or something?
It has nothing to do.I'm 18 years old,and i watch anime more than before.Sure,most of persons on america don't like animes,and in some cases they say it's for kids.Well,who said i'm not a kid?There's a part of me that will be forever a kid,and i'm not ashamed of saying it.My hint is:be yourself,if you like something,do it,since it don't hurt the others
Jun 29, 2013 3:09 PM

Jun 2013
Plantz said:
Just do what you enjoy and don't give a shit about what other people think. If they don't like it then that's their problem. You should never be ashamed of something you enjoy doing as long as it makes YOU happy. It's not about being too old or not, it's about doing what you want, if you want to watch High School type anime in your 30s then more power to ya. I know I probably will be.
And doing what we like won't hurt the others in anything,right?There's no age for happyness
Jun 29, 2013 3:31 PM

Sep 2012
when ur dead
Jun 29, 2013 3:37 PM

Nov 2008
When you're so old you stop breathing, you're probably too old for anime.
Jun 29, 2013 3:39 PM

Apr 2012
8 years old
Jun 29, 2013 4:27 PM

Sep 2012
You're too old if you're still talking about Cutey Honey even now.
Jun 29, 2013 5:44 PM

Nov 2012
mitch3315 said:
You know what I find funny? I'm 21, people don't give a shit if I watch The Simpsons or Futurama, however they see me watching an anime, and suddenly they ask why am I watching a kids show. Why does the double standard exist that anime is only for young kids?

Probably because you're watching moe shows
Jun 8, 2016 6:56 PM
Oct 2015
I feel that as long as you hang out with people who also like anime as much as you do, you won't ever feel out of place and therefore you won't feel too old to watch anime either.

Sometimes I feel a little out of place with my love for anime, not because of my age but because others don't share my interests.

So even if you are a little older as long as you share your passion for anime with people who feel the same, who cares about age. if you like anime just enjoy it.

As long as it doesn't interfere with your adult responsibility like your job I think its completely fine.
Jun 8, 2016 7:11 PM

Nov 2015
I think it's when you die.
That's when it's absolutely unacceptable to watch anime..
Jun 8, 2016 7:17 PM

Oct 2014
It's obviously 60 because seinen and josei anime targets people "into their 50s". I've heard that in Japan it's more acceptable for middle aged men to watch PreCure (targeted at 4-12 year old girls and 16-35 year old males) than for middle aged women to watch it. There still are middle aged women who watch it, though, and they are becoming part of the acceptable fanbase.
Jun 8, 2016 7:18 PM

Feb 2014
SamuriJim said:
NiN10d0h said:
"Hi. I wanted to know what the general age is for watching anime so I can tell my friends the next time they make fun of me."

NickyCharisma said:
It sounds like you're hanging about with a bunch of dicks. Stop talking to them. BOOM! Next contestant.

I suppose it did come across like that. I don't really care what people think of me anymore, I've grown past that. And I don't put up with bullying, either; I know how to stand up for myself. It's clear to me that many adults just don't get it. In Japan, adults watching anime is the norm. In America, they think it's just a child's cartoon. Obviously there's very "adult" anime, worse than X-rated films. But I'm looking at anime as a whole. Since there aren't many adults on here, let me ask this of you youths. In ten years, do you think you'll give it up? Or will it always be a part of your life?

As someone who's 20, I've definitely thought about if I will continue to watch anime when I'm in my 30's or throughout the rest of my life. I think that I probably will because I look at it the same as viewing other tv shows and movies. I probably won't like the same types of anime anymore but I don't think it matters how old you are. If you like it, keep doing it. I don't really care now what people think of me and I doubt I'll care later on in life, either :)
Jun 8, 2016 7:21 PM
Jul 2018
I guess till you don't lose interest, its never too old.
Jun 8, 2016 7:28 PM

Nov 2015
Your never to old for enjoying yourself. If whatching anime is what makes you happy then you should watch it wether your a teenager, adult or whatever.

Of course it might look a little odd a 70 year old watching something like K-ON but if that's what you like go ahead and have fun.
Jun 8, 2016 7:47 PM

Mar 2015
There's no age limit to anime. People who say it's for kids don't know what they're talking about and they'll go back to watching Rick and Morty or the grimdark Game of Thrones which they think is more mature. Not saying these shows are bad though. When I'm 80 I'll be showing my grandkids all the good animu I compiled in my lifetime.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Jun 9, 2016 12:49 AM
May 2016
This how your thoughts about this subject should be conveyed in this order:

Yeah, I know. It's not good to be reading Jump at my age - Gintoki

Oh crap! Today is Jump release day! I forgot it comes out on Saturday this week! We have to go back! - Gintoki
Jun 9, 2016 1:45 AM

Dec 2015
There's no age limit.
It's considered weird for adults to watch it because it's a young medium (at least in the west), and most adults did not grow with it and don't understand it.
It's like video games, when i was a kid video games were considered childish, and there were not many adults playing, just the occasional guy ranting about the good old days of Pacman. Now it's common to see people in their 30's and 40's play all kinds of video game.

I think it will be exactly the same with anime, now that the people who grew up when it became popular in the 90's are hitting their 30's, you'll see more and more adults who enjoy anime, and it will become normal and more accepted, because even the people who don't watch them will acknowledge anime as a part of their generation.
Jun 9, 2016 1:52 AM

Feb 2015
I don't think you can get too old to watch anime, just too old to watch certain kind of animes, as it happens with any kind of media.
There are animes that you may watch as a kid, like Pokemon. Others as a teenager such as Mirai Nikki. And others that you should watch once you are mature enough to fully understand them, like Shinsekai Yori. There are others that you can enjoy as a teenager and as an adult, like Clannad or Fullmetal Alchemist Brothehood.
I think the problem presents when you are 30 and still watching things like Guilty Crown, or when you are interested in ecchi.
Moony_SeaJun 9, 2016 11:31 AM
Jun 9, 2016 1:55 AM

Mar 2016
Crispin Freeman once called anime "mature animated storytelling" and I think that's on the money. That said, it's an art style that has many different genres that can be aimed at many different demographics. I know I'll be enjoying my anime when my hair falls out and I turn into a prune.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 9, 2016 2:00 AM

Nov 2009
chickydoodle said:
As someone who's 20, I've definitely thought about if I will continue to watch anime when I'm in my 30's or throughout the rest of my life.

You probably will. I'm 30 now, and I'm still watching anime.

xicogui said:
Of course it might look a little odd a 70 year old watching something like K-ON but if that's what you like go ahead and have fun.

Actually, K-ON is just the kind of show an old man might want. Warm and fuzzy.

Moony_Sea said:
I don't think you can get too old to watch anime, just too old to watch certain kind of animes, as it happens with any kind of media.
There are animes that you may watch as a kid, like Pokemon. Others as a teenager such as Mirai Nikki. And others that you should watch once you are mature enough to fully understand them, like Shinsekai Yori. There are others that you can enjoy as a teenager and as an adult, like Clannad or Fullmetal Alchemist Brothehood.
I think the problem presents when you are 30 and still watching things like Guilty Crown, or when you are interested in echii.

I don't think psychology depends on age as much as you claim.
Also, I'm 30, and I'm interested in ecchi. Watched Mirai Nikki a few years ago, and enjoyed it. Haven't actually watched Guilty Crown yet, it seems to emotionally intense for me. I missed the age when Pokemon is interesting, though.
Jun 9, 2016 3:51 AM

Oct 2015
I don't think there is an age where you should arbitrarily abandon a hobby.

That said, I can't really see myself still liking cgdct slice of life anime when I'm in my mid 30s or 40s, apart from the most comfy ones like Aria or Non Non Biyori.
Jun 9, 2016 3:58 AM

Mar 2016
well if u mean for the lots of highschool animes... i give you a few words that will keep you watching anime for ever: SEINEN
Jun 9, 2016 3:59 AM

Jan 2015
You are never too old to ride a bike, same goes for anime :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Jun 9, 2016 4:09 AM
Dec 2014
Never too old, but I suspect that our tastes change over time. Doesn't mean that once you are past a certain age, you will necessarily dislike an anime with a 12 years old protagonist, but I do find myself less interested in anime that I might have enjoyed a long time ago.
Jun 9, 2016 11:40 AM

Feb 2015
flannan said:
chickydoodle said:
As someone who's 20, I've definitely thought about if I will continue to watch anime when I'm in my 30's or throughout the rest of my life.

You probably will. I'm 30 now, and I'm still watching anime.

xicogui said:

Actually, K-ON is just the kind of show an old man might want. Warm and fuzzy.

Moony_Sea said:
I think the problem presents when you are 30 and still watching things like Guilty Crown, or when you are interested in echii.

I don't think psychology depends on age as much as you claim.
Also, I'm 30, and I'm interested in ecchi. Watched Mirai Nikki a few years ago, and enjoyed it. Haven't actually watched Guilty Crown yet, it seems to emotionally intense for me. I missed the age when Pokemon is interesting, though.

Mirai Nikki was my first anime, and used to be my favorite. I watched it three years ago when I was 15 and I thought it was amazing. Now, being 18, I can still enjoy it and apreciate it, but I've noticed certain inconsistencies in the show that I didn't notice before.
Guilty Crown is quite bland, the characters don't have an appropiate development and many things are taken out of nowhere. It lacks coherence and cohesion. I wouldn't recomend it to anyone whose capable of noticing all the plot holes.
And when it comes to ecchi, I honeslty find disturbing that someone, no matter the age, enjoys seeing animated characters being sexualized.
Moony_SeaJun 9, 2016 11:50 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Adaptations of Dengeki Bunko's LN.

RobertBobert - 15 seconds ago

0 by RobertBobert »»
15 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 )

Cammell - Yesterday

59 by Quequel »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - 46 minutes ago

4 by RobertBobert »»
6 minutes ago

» What happened to magic genre ?

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

36 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - May 7

80 by RobertBobert »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.