Forum Settings
Forums

Do you find it difficult to watch very old anime?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 21, 2013 2:43 PM
Mar 2011
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:
KoK wil never be as remembered as eva simple as that cuase this industry remembers that what makes the most money and EVA made has made more years on year then KoK has sorry thats a fact

unbaised black ans white

Somehow you always manage to bring industry to the topic even though it's irrelevant

OT; i do not have any isuues watching older anime [ as a Preservationist i feel im obligated to ]

people have mentioned Influence if that is not on influence on the Industry then what is it influence on the price of Butter
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 21, 2013 2:43 PM

Jun 2013
Yes because it's hard to watch an old style drawing with a poor quality, if the story line is very good I'll try not to pay attention but over all it doesn't appeal to me

Jun 21, 2013 2:47 PM

May 2008
Just finished watching Romeo no Aoi Sora and loved it. would wanted more than just 33 episodes. (*´艸`*)

so my answer to your question is...nope!
Jun 21, 2013 2:48 PM

Oct 2012
DateYutaka said:
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:
KoK wil never be as remembered as eva simple as that cuase this industry remembers that what makes the most money and EVA made has made more years on year then KoK has sorry thats a fact

unbaised black ans white

Somehow you always manage to bring industry to the topic even though it's irrelevant

people have mentioned Influence if that is not on influence on the Industry then what is it influence on the price of Butter

All I see is people debating on which anime is more pretentious, NGE or KnK, no one's saying anything about which show has more influence on industry
Jun 21, 2013 2:50 PM
Mar 2011
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:

unbaised black ans white

All I see is people debating on which anime is more pretentious, NGE or KnK, no one's saying anything about which show has more influence on industry

iv read some posts in differing context to you
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jun 21, 2013 2:52 PM

Jul 2012
DateYutaka said:
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:

unbaised black ans white

iv read some posts in differing context to you

just wanted to post a gif from CM Punk
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jun 21, 2013 2:54 PM

May 2013
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:

unbaised black ans white

I made this thread to discuss how people feel about watching older anime when compared to newer anime not to discuss the most "pretentious" anime. Please make your own thread if you want to discuss that.
dtshyk said:
Urobuchi said this anime(Psycho Pass) has cruel scenes both physically and mentally.

ZettaiRyouiki:
In other news, the sun rises from the East.
Jun 21, 2013 2:55 PM
Mar 2011
Marifrit said:
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:
natssuu said:
DateYutaka said:

unbaised black ans white

I made this thread to discuss how people feel about watching older anime when compared to newer anime not to discuss the most "pretentious" anime. Please make your own thread if you want to discuss that.

i do not have any isuues watching older anime [ as a Preservationist i feel im obligated to ]

Jun 21, 2013 2:57 PM

Jun 2011
Nope.
Jun 21, 2013 3:00 PM

Feb 2013
What exactly are we qualifying as 'old' here?

10 years ago, I'd have said "Fuck yeah, I love Ranma 1/2." I still do.

But now here I am 10 years after that. Now I can say "Last Exile? Fuck yeah, that's one of my top faves ever."

How far back are we talking?

My answer is probably still, no I don't.
Jun 21, 2013 3:02 PM
Mar 2011
Ntad said:

But now here I am 10 years after that. Now I can say "Last Exile? Fuck yeah, that's one of my top faves ever."

the ideals of t what old is strange

Jun 21, 2013 3:13 PM

May 2013
Ntad said:

To me old is anything from the early 90s and before.
dtshyk said:
Urobuchi said this anime(Psycho Pass) has cruel scenes both physically and mentally.

ZettaiRyouiki:
In other news, the sun rises from the East.
Jun 21, 2013 3:15 PM
Mar 2011
Marifrit said:
Ntad said:

To me old is anything from the early 90s and before.

you have odd view as to what is old in my view since im a showa era child

Jun 21, 2013 3:23 PM

Jan 2013
I consider very old anime to be before the 80's but I don't think I've ever seen an anime in that time period.
Jun 21, 2013 3:26 PM
Jul 2018
Nope
Jun 21, 2013 4:00 PM

Jun 2013
To be honest I've never really thought about it. I'm quite new to anime so I've been watching stuff based on top lists, which means a complete mix of stuff from 80s to recent years and I haven't really even noticed what kind of animation quality a show has. If you asked about a show's animation right after I've finished watching it, I'd probably have to watch a piece of it again since I didn't really pay attention to that.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Jun 21, 2013 4:04 PM

Apr 2013
I actually prefer old anime.
Like a retro game, once you get used to how old it is, it's hard not to enjoy.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Jun 21, 2013 4:10 PM

Feb 2008
I've gone down to 1979 a few times. I don't think I can go earlier than that-- too cheesy.
Jun 21, 2013 4:16 PM

Dec 2011
no.. in fact i love it.. i love it more than the new anime that they are making..

because it gives you that 90's feeling new anime doesn't have..

cowboy bebop, trigun, hayao miyazaki's movies and a lot more are my fave.. :p
Jun 21, 2013 4:20 PM

Nov 2010
melodyofd_d said:
because it gives you that 90's feeling new anime doesn't have..
Yeah that kind of happens when anime is no longer being made in the 90s.
Jun 21, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2012
Nope, I watched the oldest anime ever and lmao.
Jun 21, 2013 4:25 PM

Nov 2012
uhhhmmm, no, actually old anime's plot is better than average anime nowadays, the characters just thrown up by the studio and do random shit
Jun 21, 2013 4:29 PM
Oct 2011
How can you not like such fabulousness?
Jun 21, 2013 4:29 PM

Jan 2013
Yes, tbh, if an anime doesn't have artwork close to today's, I will likely drop it. I know it is stupid, but shows like Inuyasha and the movie like Akira, my first impression is I dont like it simply because of the artwork, even though there may be a great story behind it.
Jun 21, 2013 4:51 PM

Apr 2011
I love the dated art, so I don't have a problem.
Jun 21, 2013 4:53 PM

Jun 2012
not at all
ORIGINAL SIGNATURE
Jun 21, 2013 4:53 PM

Nov 2011
Unfortunately, yes, I can't stand wacth Hokuto No Ken because its poor drawings.
I luv u
Jun 21, 2013 4:57 PM

Jan 2012
krispelK said:
Yes because it's hard to watch an old style drawing with a poor quality, if the story line is very good I'll try not to pay attention but over all it doesn't appeal to me

This. Another thing is, if I'm going to watch an older series then I have to have seen it beforehand. Like... I can easily watch Evangelion because I watched it back when it aired. And over the years I've seen older shows, but now days... I just tend to stay away from it. The older grungey art style creeps me out.... It's like watching The Wizard of Oz and then reminding yourself "A good portion of this cast is most likely dead, so you're seeing ghosts".

Not exactly that... but it's somewhat of a similar feeling I get when watching old shows or I hear an old song. There might be some good series beyond what I shelter myself from, and I might be missing out but it doesn't really bother me, I don't have a desire to watch them.
Jun 21, 2013 4:58 PM

May 2013
If it was made in the early 2000's or before, then yes for the most part as the art style, while not necessarily bad, wasn't too appealing either. Most looked like your typical american cartoon. It has to actually LOOK Japanese, as there is many a reason why I stopped watching american cartoons ya know.

I prefer my anime with massive alien eyes thank you very much ;P
Jun 21, 2013 5:05 PM

Mar 2012
Not particularly, I would say 80s is prob as far back as I would go tho.
Jun 21, 2013 5:09 PM

Nov 2009
Not a problem for me, I am currently watching Zeta gundam which is awesome and the original MSG series is one of the best shows I've seen, so with me finding the old gundams this good its easy to pick up an old anime and watch it regardless of how out of date they are.
Jun 21, 2013 5:14 PM

Sep 2011
Depends.

Usually it takes me about an episode or two and then its all good.
Jun 21, 2013 6:57 PM

Apr 2013
I dont think its difficult, but I also think the animations in new animes are a big incentive to watch them because they are sometimes very very good.
Jun 21, 2013 6:58 PM
Apr 2010
Not really.
Jun 21, 2013 6:58 PM

Apr 2013
Yep unless the show is a classic, I usually don't watch shows from the 90's.
Jun 21, 2013 7:01 PM

Jan 2013
Most anime made earlier than 1990 is a bit difficult to watch, but anime made in the 90's doesn't bother me too much. I mean I grew up watching DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho etc. so it's nothing I'm not used to.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2013 7:07 PM

Feb 2012
Yes mainly because the older the anime, the harder it is to find it (not including popular series) and not so much because if how it's drawn.
Jun 21, 2013 7:38 PM

Jun 2008
No.
Jun 21, 2013 7:45 PM

Feb 2012
I do initially, but I get over it after a few episodes.
Jun 21, 2013 8:02 PM

Aug 2012
As much as I hate to say it, yeah, I do find it hard to watch older anime. It's not that older anime suck, but my preferences in animation are quite modern so...
What do you think? The meaning of our existence. Why do we continue to live?
~Iris Rain Umbrella, my favorite robot
Jun 21, 2013 8:03 PM

Jan 2008
I find it as hard as it is to watch a old anime as it is for me to pick up and play a old game. How hard is that for me? I dunno, I rarely bother to go back and play old games and when I do, they're just games I've already played, so I can't say.
Jun 21, 2013 8:04 PM

Sep 2011
Kinda(Or yes) because I'm a type of person who's picky when it comes to designs.

Jun 21, 2013 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
Uhm, No. The only difficult task for me is.. finding them.
Jun 21, 2013 8:06 PM

Mar 2012
The only difficulty I have with watching old anime is finding them.

Torrenting them feels weird since most of what I want to watch has been licensed and Netflix is usually either missing discs or the entire series.
How this goes uncorrected is beyond me, but that's a rant for another day.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jun 21, 2013 8:08 PM

Apr 2011
KAIOKEN1113 said:
Yes, tbh, if an anime doesn't have artwork close to today's, I will likely drop it. I know it is stupid, but shows like Inuyasha and the movie like Akira, my first impression is I dont like it simply because of the artwork, even though there may be a great story behind it.

But...Dragonball is your top anime...
Jun 21, 2013 8:10 PM

Mar 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
KAIOKEN1113 said:

But...Dragonball is your top anime...

This makes me much angrier than it rightfully should.
Jun 21, 2013 8:11 PM

Feb 2013
Same thing as people finding it difficult to watch newer anime.
Jun 21, 2013 8:12 PM

Sep 2012
People are so spoiled, and have no appreciation for hard work and effort.

Jun 21, 2013 8:13 PM

Mar 2012
Red_Keys said:
People are so spoiled, and have no appreciation for hard work and effort.

True story.

You get a whole new appreciation for something once you've done it for yourself.
Jun 21, 2013 8:25 PM

Jan 2013
Candor said:
How can you not like such fabulousness?

What series is that? Looks interesting (seriously).
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 6 hours ago

93 by LostSpectre »»
1 minute ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

14 by Timeline_man »»
5 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

99 by DreamWindow »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you track anime milestons?

zombie_pegasus - 2 hours ago

7 by ggultra2764 »»
17 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

40 by gunny92 »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.