Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 9, 2013 9:27 PM

Sep 2011
And if so, when do you think they will do it? Should Vic Mignona play Eren?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 9, 2013 9:28 PM

Apr 2013
No, dubs are usually trash.
Jun 9, 2013 9:30 PM

Oct 2012
Based off episode 10, whoever is going to voice Armin is going to need a lot of water.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 9, 2013 9:34 PM

Sep 2011
Tavor said:
Based off episode 10, whoever is going to voice Armin is going to need a lot of water.

Or Eren for that matter...at least in the first couple of episodes.
Jun 9, 2013 9:44 PM

Nov 2010
No I'm not, I don't watch dubs.
Jun 9, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2012
IntroverTurtle said:

That'll just butcher the show up. And also they're probably going to cast in the wrong VA for the wrong character. Seriously Funimation is dubbing Mirai Nikki and they gave Yuno Brina Palencia's
(Holo from Spice and Wolf)(Rei Ayanami NGE) voice.
Jun 9, 2013 9:55 PM

Dec 2012
No. You are the only one.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 9, 2013 10:05 PM

Apr 2012
Dubbed anime make me wanna cut myself
Dear lord I can't even imagine the lines Eren will have in English when he makes his pep talks

Jun 9, 2013 10:10 PM

Apr 2013
Yes, out of curiosity and to see this^
Jun 9, 2013 10:12 PM

Jan 2013
Those speeches... in English dub...
Jun 9, 2013 10:14 PM

Feb 2012
Zeally said:
You probably should then.

OnT no why would I wait when the show is available right now?
Jun 9, 2013 10:17 PM

Apr 2013
Admit it guys, you wanna hear Eren's screams in English too
Jun 9, 2013 10:19 PM

Sep 2011
Slyr3do0n said:
Zeally said:
You probably should then.

OnT no why would I wait when the show is available right now?

Well, I'm not saying to drop the series entirely; but just to see how the dubbing studio handles the anime.
Jun 9, 2013 10:23 PM

Sep 2011
Missing-Kite said:

I don't really see the problem...I mean do people who speak English not give speeches?
Jun 9, 2013 10:39 PM

Jun 2009
Nope not waiting gonna watch it subbed first.
Jun 9, 2013 10:45 PM

Apr 2013
Since the story is already set in the west, it could turn out pretty well actually. I know I enjoyed the English dub for Baccano more because it fit the setting better.
Jun 9, 2013 10:48 PM

Nov 2012
I am. Fuck subs.
I rather watch my anime than read my anime.
Jun 9, 2013 10:55 PM

Apr 2013
Unit-01 said:
I am. Fuck subs.
I rather watch my anime than read my anime.
Learn japanese.
Jun 9, 2013 10:55 PM

Apr 2013
I think the bigger question here is: should Armin's English VA be a man or a woman?
Jun 9, 2013 10:59 PM

Jan 2013
Tavor said:
+1 Lmao.

And nope.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 9, 2013 11:02 PM

Apr 2010
voll said:
I think the bigger question here is: should Armin's English VA be a man or a woman?

That's pretty easy, considering Armin is a girl.
Jun 9, 2013 11:05 PM

Apr 2013
antonn said:
voll said:

That's pretty easy, considering Armin is a girl.
If a woman can voice a man, why can't a man voice a woman?
Jun 9, 2013 11:09 PM

Mar 2013
Uh Oh, you've insulted the Japanese Master Race and provoked the Sub Watchers.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jun 9, 2013 11:21 PM

Apr 2013
Pusswookie said:

*out of the topic* any news on LoK ?
Jun 9, 2013 11:31 PM

Mar 2013
OfficialGuts said:
Pusswookie said:

*out of the topic* any news on LoK ?

The second season is to be aired sometime this year, aside from that, I'm afraid not.
StickyWizardJun 9, 2013 11:59 PM
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jun 9, 2013 11:38 PM

Jun 2007
MEanimaniac1 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

That'll just butcher the show up. And also they're probably going to cast in the wrong VA for the wrong character. Seriously Funimation is dubbing Mirai Nikki and they gave Yuno Brina Palencia's
(Holo from Spice and Wolf)(Rei Ayanami NGE) voice.

"They" didn't - she gave it to herself. Brina Palencia is known to abuse her position as ADR director on most current Funimation licenses by putting herself in the lead female role (with very few exceptions) regardless of her ability to play the character. It's made even easier to do this because of the fact her brother works for Funimation in the same department almost directly below her and is one of the only people she has to consult about role choices.
Jun 9, 2013 11:50 PM
Aug 2011
No thank you. I try to keep ear bleeding to a minimum.
Jun 10, 2013 12:13 AM

Oct 2012
Just add fuck to every sentence and I'll be fine.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jun 10, 2013 12:18 AM

Dec 2012
parfaited said:

It can't get much worse....
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 10, 2013 12:28 AM
Aug 2011
3nvy said:
parfaited said:

It can't get much worse....

Aw don't say that.
I can at least find some comfort in the ~3 good Japanese VA doing supporting cast characters.

Supporting cast...oh. (´−`)
Jun 10, 2013 12:30 AM

Jan 2013
Enjoy the 2 year wait.

Funimation isn't dubbing shit.
Jun 10, 2013 12:49 AM

Apr 2008
Nope not looking forward to it in the least.
Jun 10, 2013 3:17 AM

Mar 2013
I will not wait for dub, they usually always suck. The only animes that I like dub better that sub are Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho.
Jun 10, 2013 3:19 AM

Jan 2013
The real question is, who is Colleen Clinkinbeard going to voice?

I mean this is funimation we are talking about.
Jun 10, 2013 5:55 AM

Jan 2013
Funimation usually screws up most of their shows when they dub it. So, no.
'If people refuse to accept you, then I'll just accept you even more.'
Jun 10, 2013 5:57 AM

Jan 2012
No the last thing this show needs is a good Funimation butchering. Even though the seiyuu isn't that great I'll take it over the monotony of the western VA industry.
Jun 10, 2013 6:01 AM

Mar 2012
Alfonse said:
Missing-Kite said:

I don't really see the problem...I mean do people who speak English not give speeches?

Bad dialogue is a lot easier to ignore and forgive when it's being read, not heard.

I want a dub, but if they do it, they better change 90% of the lines.
Let's go bowling.
Jun 10, 2013 6:29 AM

Sep 2011
Im waiting for the German dubs
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 10, 2013 8:14 AM
Dec 2010
Alfonse said:
And if so, when do you think they will do it? Should Vic Mignona play Eren?

I'd rather Johnny Bosch (Ichigo in Bleach, Lelouch in Code Geass) be Eren, I think he would be a way better Eren then Vic.

I mean, Bosch did a good job at being a whiny character in Eureka 7 and can probably do it again. Never seen Vic be whiny
Jun 10, 2013 8:15 AM

Dec 2012
Dubs are really good these days, I wonder what decade people are living in? A dubbed anime will get more recognition and more fans. This in turn will support the anime industry. We all want the anime industry to prosper so I don't know why anyone can be against dub. If you don't like it, buy the Japanese blu-ray, otherwise let other kids buy dub.
Jun 10, 2013 8:22 AM

Apr 2011
I don't really get the sub elitism, but to each their own. I watch mainly subbed, but that is because I watch a lot of anime that don't have dubs. There are some anime that just aren't as good dubbed, but shows like Shingeki don't really lose anything in my opinion. Plus not like any of you will be forced to watch the dub, it's for people who don't like watching subbed.
Jun 10, 2013 8:42 AM

Nov 2010
ThangLong said:
Dubs are really good these days, I wonder what decade people are living in? A dubbed anime will get more recognition and more fans. This in turn will support the anime industry. We all want the anime industry to prosper so I don't know why anyone can be against dub. If you don't like it, buy the Japanese blu-ray, otherwise let other kids buy dub.
The same as you and dubs these days may be better but being good is your opinion. I don't think anybody is saying that they are against it ever getting a dub, just that they think it or all dubs sound like crap. Like me, I have no reason to ever watch a dub and think they sound horrible but liked it when my favorite anime got a dub and started airing on tv because I knew that meant new fans and more recognition in America.
Jun 10, 2013 8:53 AM
Dec 2010
If their is a sub and a dub of an anime when I watch it, I'll watch the first episode both subbed and dubbed, and whichever I like better I watch.

Many animes have been more enjoyable dubbed then subbed, and many animes have been better subbed then dubbed.
Jun 10, 2013 8:58 AM

Jan 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I don't really get the sub elitism, but to each their own.

I'm not really trying to be elitist, I have no problem with dubs existing for the people who want to watch them, for me I wouldn't even consider it though. The seiyuu industry in Japan is a big deal, much bigger and more competitive than in the west, a lot of my enjoyment of shows comes from the VA. People like Wakamoto and Sawashiro are legends to me, I just don't get that from the half-baked western VA industry, every one I have watched has completely destroyed the characters I loved. Hellsing Ultimate for example (people say this is a good dub) just ruined the whole show for me.
Jun 10, 2013 9:13 AM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
The same as you and dubs these days may be better but being good is your opinion. I don't think anybody is saying that they are against it ever getting a dub, just that they think it or all dubs sound like crap. Like me, I have no reason to ever watch a dub and think they sound horrible but liked it when my favorite anime got a dub and started airing on tv because I knew that meant new fans and more recognition in America.

Well, what you said, I said, and they said are all opinions ;) But more and people have come to knowledge dub for its value and quality. The thing is, we need dub to be profitable so that dubbing company such as Funniation can have bigger budget to hire better writers and VAs. American Voice Actors are as good as Japanese's Seiyuu. If the anime industry is substantial in America, it will attract grade-A Hollywood actors to join the dubbing team. I don't even mind the re-written of some of the lines as long as it's a fair cultural translation and no core information is omitted.
Jun 10, 2013 9:18 AM

Apr 2008
ThangLong said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Well, what you said, I said, and they said are all opinions ;) But more and people have come to knowledge dub for its value and quality. The thing is, we need dub to be profitable so that dubbing company such as Funniation can have bigger budget to hire better writers and VAs. American Voice Actors are as good as Japanese's Seiyuu. If the anime industry is substantial in America, it will attract grade-A Hollywood actors to join the dubbing team. I don't even mind the re-written of some of the lines as long as it's a fair cultural translation and no core information is omitted.

Ahahaha no they're really NOT.
Jun 10, 2013 9:31 AM

Dec 2012
^ Are you talking about anime-based VAs, or VA in general? What I mean is the potential of Voice Actors in other entertainment areas. If you watch any American movies or cartoons, there is no denying of the their quality.
Jun 10, 2013 9:50 AM

Nov 2010
ThangLong said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Well the first half of your post was based on how they were getting better and are good, which is an opinion. And what I meant by getting better is probably more VAs and better technology. American VAs may be as good, not American dub VAs. Like you said they need a bigger budget to hire better writers and VAs.
Jun 10, 2013 9:52 AM

Jan 2013
Best western VA in history: Heavy rain.

Go.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 10, 2013 9:57 AM

Sep 2011
Should not have asked this question. I should have known that I would've gotten a plethora of sub elitism comments bashing dubs and/or Funimation in general; this is the anime fanbase after all, and on MAL, no less. Now this thread has essentially turned to a sub/dub war.

People who bash Funimation, are we forgetting their work on FMA, FMA Brotherhood, Baccano, Darker than Black, Black Butler, DB Kai, Mushishi, One Piece, and many others, anime that were dubbed perfectly? Or are we just basing our judgement from one or two dubbed anime we saw? Because I just do not understand the elitism.

I am forced to watch some anime subbed since the dubs aren't out, yet, such as Attack on Titan, but if there was a dub available, I'd watch that right way.
And like Thang said, dubs give anime recognition, thus allowing the companies to earn more and make more anime. So how exactly are dubs bad? Not only that, without speaking the language, how can the majority of you even judge the voice acting of a series?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.