Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
May 23, 2013 1:17 PM
Sep 2012
http://livedoor.4.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/5/a/5a91fd5f-s.jpg
http://media.animevice.com/uploads/1/18405/637535-shingeki_no_kyojin___01___large_24.jpg

We can see from pictures from links that size doest make sense....
How can distance from Wall Shina to center be 250 kilometers????
I thought that land behind Wall Shina was smalllest of all walls...
If we use simple maths to get how big is human territory,we are going to use formula for cyrcle whick is P=r2π π=3,14
So lets do the maths:maria+rose+shina=100+130+250=r=480X480π=
If we use formula O=2rπ we get that:Maria is 1570 km,Rose 2386 km, and Shina 3014 km long!!!!Which doesnt make sense cuz Maria should be longest.
So now mathematicaly we get that human territory is 723456 kilometers per square big.
CroKiraDeathNoteMay 23, 2013 1:23 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 23, 2013 1:31 PM

Feb 2012
I think you are stupid.
May 23, 2013 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
I don't know.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
May 23, 2013 1:39 PM
Aug 2012
So.. who gives a crap?

Fucking.. it's like everyone is trying to find something, anything that was overlooked in this show.
May 23, 2013 1:41 PM

Nov 2010
nnangle said:
So.. who gives a crap?
I kinda do, it's interesting.
May 23, 2013 1:41 PM
Sep 2012
Kyonyo said:

OK,explain me how am i stupid,i was using PURE MATHS to get those numbers,if you have brain and know maths you can do maths by urself and you would get the same numbers.I know that it seems crazy,i thought that to myselt at first...
I just hope that they did some error with the numbers in anime cuz this is not makeing any sence...
I am a big fan of Shingeki no Kyojin and i was into manga since it came out back in 2009.
May 23, 2013 1:48 PM

Feb 2012
CroKiraDeathNote said:
Kyonyo said:

OK,explain me how am i stupid,i was using PURE MATHS to get those numbers,if you have brain and know maths you can do maths by urself and you would get the same numbers.I know that it seems crazy,i thought that to myselt at first...
I just hope that they did some error with the numbers in anime cuz this is not makeing any sence...
I am a big fan of Shingeki no Kyojin and i was into manga since it came out back in 2009.

''If we use formula O=2rπ we get that:Maria is 1570 km,Rose 2386 km, and Shina 3014 km long!!!!Which doesnt make sense cuz Maria should be longest.''

^that why I think you are stupid.. I hope you get it at some point.
May 23, 2013 1:54 PM

May 2013
I thought the story was set between Russia and Europe.
May 23, 2013 3:10 PM
May 2013
CroKiraDeathNote said:
http://livedoor.4.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/5/a/5a91fd5f-s.jpg
http://media.animevice.com/uploads/1/18405/637535-shingeki_no_kyojin___01___large_24.jpg

We can see from pictures from links that size doest make sense....
How can distance from Wall Shina to center be 250 kilometers????
I thought that land behind Wall Shina was smalllest of all walls...
If we use simple maths to get how big is human territory,we are going to use formula for cyrcle whick is P=r2π π=3,14
So lets do the maths:maria+rose+shina=100+130+250=r=480X480π=
If we use formula O=2rπ we get that:Maria is 1570 km,Rose 2386 km, and Shina 3014 km long!!!!Which doesnt make sense cuz Maria should be longest.
So now mathematicaly we get that human territory is 723456 kilometers per square big.

From the center to the wall Shina: 250km
From the wall Shina to the the Rose: 130km => From the center to the wall Rose: 250 + 130 = 380km
From the wall Rose to the wall Maria: 100km => From the center to the wall Maria: 380 + 100 = 480km
May 23, 2013 3:12 PM

Dec 2012
723 456 square km is lesser than Turkey or approximately twice the surface of Japan.

You've swapped the perimeters for Wall Sina (1570 km) and Wall Maria (3014 km).
May 23, 2013 3:15 PM

May 2008
And what exactly makes you think that the anime is set in Japan?

its probably in European country or something coz if you look close enough you will notice that most of the people in the anime have blonde or light hair color, which is not an asian trait :|

..{ Nobody is perfect, I'm nobody! ~ ♥
May 23, 2013 3:16 PM

Jun 2007
nnangle said:
it's like everyone is trying to find something, anything that was overlooked in this show.

Good writing.
May 23, 2013 3:21 PM

Aug 2012
From outright bashing to downright nitpicking.

This show sure is the hypefest of 2013...
May 23, 2013 3:43 PM

Mar 2010
MellowJello said:

Yep, I'm not even sure what's suppose to be wrong here. So what if human's territory is as big as a country? It houses more than a million people here!
May 23, 2013 3:51 PM

Sep 2011
MellowJello said:

Nitpicking it is. But the fact that the main story has even mentioned it makes it interesting

Though I must make a point, Japan is a relatively small country in the world, the vast majority of the world is in Titan's controls. What humans control, is really just a small corner of the world
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
May 23, 2013 4:36 PM

Feb 2011
Jagd84 said:
MellowJello said:

Yep, I'm not even sure what's suppose to be wrong here. So what if human's territory is as big as a country? It houses more than a million people here!

that would make the total walls lenght be 6970 Km and the walls are 50 meters high
still not as long as the Great Wall of China but comparable, but the cina wall was only 16 meters high on average, the wall in the story sure is big, it's like a nation sized castle

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
May 23, 2013 4:47 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah it's ridiculously large. Stupidly large. In fact, I would go so far to say it's unrealistically large.

But this is a show where ninja teenagers fly around on spider-man wires fighting against giants who regenerate. So realistic really isn't an issue here.
Let's go bowling.
May 23, 2013 5:15 PM

Mar 2010
StopDropAndBowl said:
Yeah it's ridiculously large. Stupidly large. In fact, I would go so far to say it's unrealistically large.

But this is a show where ninja teenagers fly around on spider-man wires fighting against giants who regenerate. So realistic really isn't an issue here.

No it isn't, the country not much bigger Texas and we have larger countries than that in RL. The only odd thing is the walls, but it seems the story will explain that later while dropping clues and such till then.
Iron_MawMay 23, 2013 5:40 PM
May 23, 2013 5:23 PM

Jun 2012
These threads are getting ridiculous. No, it's no too large....that's the only place humans have left to live.
May 23, 2013 7:13 PM

Mar 2012
Jagd84 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

No it isn't, the country not much bigger Texas and we have larger countries than that in RL. The only odd thing is the walls, but it seems the story will explain that later while dropping clues and such till then.

Well, the walls are a big one. Also the size of the country and the time period. Granted there have been empires larger in similar and even more ancient time periods, but still, they are rare. Plus the amount of land controlled versus the relatively small population size makes one question the necessity/utility in even building your walls around so large an area.

I'm sure there are explanations, and I'm sure they are perfectly adequate. Doesn't make it realistic.
Let's go bowling.
May 23, 2013 9:37 PM

Dec 2012
They
lalami02 said:

its probably in European country or something coz if you look close enough you will notice that most of the people in the anime have blonde or light hair color, which is not an asian trait :|
actually said that the MCs were some of the last, if not the last, orientals.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 23, 2013 9:43 PM

Nov 2010
3nvy said:
They
lalami02 said:

Yes Mikasa and her mom were probably some of the last asians in the wall. Everyone else looks and has European names.
May 23, 2013 9:46 PM

Feb 2012
I started laughing and instantly ingaged condescending mode as soon as I read "maths." Too bad somebody already pointed out your mistake.

I am hoping for an explanation of how they built the walls though. Even ignoring having to defend aginst the titans which they have been shown to be incapable of doing, a wall that size would still take hundreds of years to build yet the've only bee protected by it for 100 years.
Slyr3do0nMay 23, 2013 9:53 PM
May 23, 2013 10:01 PM

Jun 2009
I'm interested.

I mean, those are 50 meters wall, and it's not just 1 wall, there's 3 of em.

Circular and seem like they got enough space to fit countries. Whoever built it must be some sort of emperor/warlord, capable of constructing something so impressive. The amount of manual labor that the wall might take is astonishing in it self.

In someway, it doesn't even look possible, it's even more impressive than the Great Wall of China...

I wonder who could've built something like that, joke guess

EDIT: Though, seeing how episode 7 turned out, I won't be surprise if it's built by
AirStylesMay 23, 2013 10:05 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2013 10:07 PM

Nov 2010
AirStyles said:
I'm interested.

I mean, those are 50 meters wall, and it's not just 1 wall, there's 3 of em.

Circular and seem like they got enough space to fit countries. Whoever built it must be some sort of emperor/warlord, capable of constructing something so impressive. The amount of manual labor that the wall might take is astonishing in it self.

In someway, it doesn't even look possible, it's even more impressive than the Great Wall of China...

I wonder who could've built something like that, joke guess

EDIT: Though, seeing how episode 7 turned out, I won't be surprise if it's built by
Haha one of those things you mentioned is kind of ironic, won't spoil you though. But yes keep on thinking about the walls, it's one of the mysteries in the show.
May 24, 2013 12:19 AM

Mar 2012
I likes the maths you does bro!!
May 24, 2013 12:22 AM

Dec 2012
MellowJello said:

This, And seriously why would that bug you? That territory is all they have left and the titans have most if not the rest of the world.
May 24, 2013 12:50 AM

Mar 2013
Fairly sure the numbers are completely wrong, for starters 250km radius for sina is just far too big the size would contradict whats shown in the manga, plus even in medieval times that amount of space they'd have more than enough arable land to feed 10-15 million people never mind 1 million.

NewhopesMay 24, 2013 12:56 AM

May 24, 2013 2:42 AM

Jan 2008
Come on, they have to live only inside these walls. This means they have to get food and resources from only inside the walls - let's plant enough trees to chop them for a 100 years and still have something left. Let's get enough space to set farms to feed 1M people over the years. Remember you'll have move the farms every 2 years or so, because having the same type of plant on the same ground "sucks" the minerals out of it. Plus as they have 3 walls - they were prepared for abandoning the most outer one and moving people inside. It's always better to have too much land than having not enough
Nippon, Nippon dream.
May 24, 2013 3:14 AM

Dec 2012
Newhopes said:
Fairly sure the numbers are completely wrong, for starters 250km radius for sina is just far too big the size would contradict whats shown in the manga, plus even in medieval times that amount of space they'd have more than enough arable land to feed 10-15 million people never mind 1 million.

No, it doesn't contradict anything - what you have posted is a relative sketch of the humankind area vs. outside walls area; the sketch with the numbers actually accounts for the surface of Wall Sina being 196 250 square km, which is ~80 000 km more than the country I live in, and we are ~ 7 000 000 people currently (roughly 3 000 000 people by the late XVIII century). This is why we have maths, eye measures are inaccurate and dumb for many obvious reasons.
May 24, 2013 3:19 AM

Mar 2013
If Egypt could maintain a 3-4 million population in a pretty barren area off basically the flood plain of 1 river 3 thousand years ago, I don't think they'd have much trouble in a relitively fertile area unless it's grossly mismanaged or has some other underlying issue.

zellami said:
Newhopes said:

No, it doesn't contradict anything - what you have posted is a relative sketch of the humankind area vs. outside walls area; the sketch with the numbers actually accounts for the surface of Wall Sina being 196 250 square km, which is ~80 000 km more than the country I live in, and we are ~ 7 000 000 people currently (roughly 3 000 000 people by the late XVIII century). This is why we have maths, eye measures are inaccurate and dumb for many obvious reasons.

Yes it would because it'd make the area inside Sina almost as big as the areas inside the other 2 areas.

May 24, 2013 3:29 AM
Apr 2013
This is just silly...
May 24, 2013 4:16 AM
Dec 2010
I don't see this as unrealistically large.

The area of the total country is 723, 823km2, which is only slightly larger then the size of France. We could get into how the wall was built, but that will be covered in a later episode, assuming this show follows the manga.

My biggest problem isn't the land area, but how small the population is. With a population of 1.2 million and 17th century tech (if you ignore spider gear), means that one in every three adults is a farmer by necessity.

You can't have the industry to make your cannons, swords and spider gear as well as have the innovations they have had with only ~200,000 non-adult farmers in the country.

I'd much rather if the population was between 15 and 25 million, rather then the 1.2 million in the anime.
May 24, 2013 4:16 AM
Sep 2012
Sry,my bad for walls lenghts,but i have calculated surface correctly...
There is map of the human territory in the manga which shows that something completely different than from anime.In manga Shina is the smallest while Maria is biggest.
So in the anime there isnt enough place for 200k people inside Wall Rose and Shina whose surface together is 453416 km big...
That doest make much sence...
And you are telling me that someone built three walls whose lenght together is about 7000km and 50m high.That is huge amouth of stone and human labour.
It would take centuries to built that...
Sry if my english is bad,its not my mother toungue...
May 24, 2013 5:07 AM
Jul 2010
Slyr3do0n said:
I started laughing and instantly ingaged condescending mode as soon as I read "maths." Too bad somebody already pointed out your mistake.

I am hoping for an explanation of how they built the walls though. Even ignoring having to defend aginst the titans which they have been shown to be incapable of doing, a wall that size would still take hundreds of years to build yet the've only bee protected by it for 100 years.

Do we actually know when the walls were built? They could be finished already when titans appeared. Although they would need really good reason to build such a big walls before titans appeared.
May 24, 2013 5:36 AM

Apr 2010
CroKiraDeathNote said:
Sry,my bad for walls lenghts,but i have calculated surface correctly...
There is map of the human territory in the manga which shows that something completely different than from anime.In manga Shina is the smallest while Maria is biggest.
So in the anime there isnt enough place for 200k people inside Wall Rose and Shina whose surface together is 453416 km big...
That doest make much sence...
And you are telling me that someone built three walls whose lenght together is about 7000km and 50m high.That is huge amouth of stone and human labour.
It would take centuries to built that...
Sry if my english is bad,its not my mother toungue...

They used the same method to build the walls as the Egyptians.

antonnMay 24, 2013 5:40 AM
May 24, 2013 12:13 PM
Sep 2012
I bet that there is a conspiracy in which aliens are trying to obliterate human race while using their biological weapons called "Titans",of course,humans dont know this fact yet
"Titans" are made from humans which were captured many ages ago,and than genetically modified into titans in alien factories and labouratories hidden deep in the mountains and oceans.So basically now we have a real life strategy game played by aliens in which they send titans to break the walls and than to watch what will humans do.There are even aliens among humans,especially in the higher society where they influence the king and force him to cooperate in their game.
The Walls were originally built by aliens so that they close humans there so that they could watch them from the sky....The whole Shingeki no Kyojin world is ALIEN CONSPIRACY!!!
CroKiraDeathNoteMay 24, 2013 12:18 PM
May 24, 2013 12:34 PM

Sep 2011
The population is ridiculously low for a land of france. Only populations growth can lift lpeople out of poverty.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
May 24, 2013 1:02 PM
Oct 2012
Newhopes said:
If Egypt could maintain a 3-4 million population in a pretty barren area off basically the flood plain of 1 river 3 thousand years ago, I don't think they'd have much trouble in a relitively fertile area unless it's grossly mismanaged or has some other underlying issue.

Very bad example. The reason ancient Egypt could maintain that population was because of the enormous flooding of the Nile bringing all that silt to renew fertility and making Egypt the "breadbasket" of the Roman Empire.

But that cannot be the case here. First any river bisecting the town would provide an egress for the Titans, and even if we assume they could have somehow walled it in such a way that the Titans couldn't enter, the rising of the river during the flood would have washed away a large portion of this wall.
May 24, 2013 1:17 PM

Mar 2013
CroKiraDeathNote said:
I bet that there is a conspiracy in which aliens are trying to obliterate human race while using their biological weapons called "Titans",of course,humans dont know this fact yet
"Titans" are made from humans which were captured many ages ago,and than genetically modified into titans in alien factories and labouratories hidden deep in the mountains and oceans.So basically now we have a real life strategy game played by aliens in which they send titans to break the walls and than to watch what will humans do.There are even aliens among humans,especially in the higher society where they influence the king and force him to cooperate in their game.
The Walls were originally built by aliens so that they close humans there so that they could watch them from the sky....The whole Shingeki no Kyojin world is ALIEN CONSPIRACY!!!

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
May 24, 2013 1:20 PM
Oct 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
3nvy said:
They
lalami02 said:

Yes Mikasa and her mom were probably some of the last asians in the wall. Everyone else looks and has European names.

I think I mentioned before, due to the names and mikasa and her mother being the last orientals you can assume the setting is western Europe. Most of the names are Dutch and German.
May 24, 2013 1:26 PM
Nov 2010
There's a reason why there's a religion that worships the walls. Wait and see.
And yeah, the story doesn't take place in Japan, so the post is wrong from the first link.
UrzaMay 24, 2013 1:39 PM
May 24, 2013 1:37 PM

Feb 2012
perzoalien1 said:
Slyr3do0n said:

Do we actually know when the walls were built? They could be finished already when titans appeared. Although they would need really good reason to build such a big walls before titans appeared.
Maybe they already had the walls and just made them bigger when the titans came, but I think they'll propose something far more out there than that. It still would have taken them a very long time to do that anyway.
May 24, 2013 2:06 PM

Mar 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Newhopes said:

Very bad example. The reason ancient Egypt could maintain that population was because of the enormous flooding of the Nile bringing all that silt to renew fertility and making Egypt the "breadbasket" of the Roman Empire.

But that cannot be the case here. First any river bisecting the town would provide an egress for the Titans, and even if we assume they could have somehow walled it in such a way that the Titans couldn't enter, the rising of the river during the flood would have washed away a large portion of this wall.

Not really all it does is bring up the question of what the hell are they doing if a fairly primitive civilisation can maintain 4m people while they can't even maintain 1m on vastly better land.

If you want other examples they're roughly at 14th century tech level give or take, during that period in our world.

France was at 14m
England 5.6m
Italy 10m
Gremany 13m.

The only country close to the size as the area in those wall is France the rest are less than half the size yet had populations 10 times larger.

May 24, 2013 2:26 PM

Apr 2008
Newhopes said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Newhopes said:

Not really all it does is bring up the question of what the hell are they doing if a fairly primitive civilisation can maintain 4m people while they can't even maintain 1m on vastly better land.

If you want other examples they're roughly at 14th century tech level give or take, during that period in our world.

France was at 14m
England 5.6m
Italy 10m
Gremany 13m.

The only country close to the size as the area in those wall is France the rest are less than half the size yet had populations 10 times larger.

You need to remember one thing. People at wall Maria didn't live inside the wall. They lived in the city pockets on the outside of the wall, the literal BAIT cities.
May 24, 2013 2:50 PM

Apr 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
nnangle said:
So.. who gives a crap?
I kinda do, it's interesting.

i find it intresting aswell

xd
May 24, 2013 2:51 PM

Mar 2013
Darklight0303 said:
Newhopes said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Newhopes said:

France was at 14m
England 5.6m
Italy 10m
Gremany 13m.

You need to remember one thing. People at wall Maria didn't live inside the wall. They lived in the city pockets on the outside of the wall, the literal BAIT cities.

That doesn't make any difference what so ever, not everybody lives in those towns.

May 24, 2013 3:05 PM
Oct 2012
Newhopes said:

But that is sort of the point, they DON'T have vastly better land, Egypt had the vastly better land because of the Nile. There is a reason civilization arose in river valleys.

Notice what I am disagreeing with you on. It wasn't your point, but the example you gave.

However if I wanted to disagree with you I would point out that one thing that seems to be missing in these maps is access to fresh water rivers, and without rivers the comparison of this country to 14th century Europe would be wrong. You would have to compare it to the Russian Steeps or Poland which in the 14th century had a population of 2 million, which had a much smaller ability to support populations.
May 24, 2013 11:02 PM

Mar 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Newhopes said:

But that is sort of the point, they DON'T have vastly better land, Egypt had the vastly better land because of the Nile. There is a reason civilization arose in river valleys.

Notice what I am disagreeing with you on. It wasn't your point, but the example you gave.

However if I wanted to disagree with you I would point out that one thing that seems to be missing in these maps is access to fresh water rivers, and without rivers the comparison of this country to 14th century Europe would be wrong. You would have to compare it to the Russian Steeps or Poland which in the 14th century had a population of 2 million, which had a much smaller ability to support populations.

Failed to notice the big river running straight though the town?

May 24, 2013 11:05 PM

Mar 2010
Fasces349 said:
I don't see this as unrealistically large.

The area of the total country is 723, 823km2, which is only slightly larger then the size of France. We could get into how the wall was built, but that will be covered in a later episode, assuming this show follows the manga.

My biggest problem isn't the land area, but how small the population is. With a population of 1.2 million and 17th century tech (if you ignore spider gear), means that one in every three adults is a farmer by necessity.

You can't have the industry to make your cannons, swords and spider gear as well as have the innovations they have had with only ~200,000 non-adult farmers in the country.

I'd much rather if the population was between 15 and 25 million, rather then the 1.2 million in the anime.

Where did you get those numbers from? The Anime never specified the totally population as far as I know.

BTW: there are rivers, you can see one in both Shiganshima and Trost Districts for example.
Iron_MawMay 24, 2013 11:13 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.