Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 16, 2013 7:33 PM
Oct 2012
Opinions and tastes differ between people, that I understand, however I have noticed that for the past 6 episodes we have had a host of people predicting that "THIS IS THE EPISODE" where this show is going to start declining. Not that they say why they think this, but they are just compelled to say this.

So, this got me thinking, if they don't have a reason for thinking this (none has been given), then SOMETHING has to be the cause, so I thought I would create a little poll asking the ubermind of MAL what they think is the cause of this compulsion.

Feel free to vote early and often!
Takuan_SohoMay 16, 2013 8:04 PM
May 16, 2013 7:36 PM
May 2010
Dafuq?
This series isn't declining in anyway. It was meant to be a unique comedy and it succeeded.

Rigged poll.

Edit: Ehh...so I misread the OP.
Need an 'All of the above' option.
NubScrubzMay 16, 2013 7:48 PM

Sep 2012
Very thoughtful set of choices you've made there....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 2013
Not much variety in the poll choices ( I mean their is but they all basically mean the same thing just with a different set of words) :/
May 16, 2013 7:37 PM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Very thoughtful set of choices you've made there....

Thank you, I spent a whole 90 seconds thinking them up. I would be sad if someone didn't appreciate the effort put into it.
May 16, 2013 8:09 PM

Jan 2012
Because the show is declining? and nice job on the poll btw... (not)

I initially loved the idea of the show but now its on the path to becoming a cliche harem anime. Like tell me what major thing has happened in the show since the first episode? Almost nothing besides the earthquake stuff in which the enemies were just weaklings. We are 7 episodes in a 13 episode anime and all we got was chi chan being jealous, some tsundare moments from emi. Obviously it might get better but the last few episodes have done the show no justice.
May 16, 2013 8:14 PM
Jan 2013
I don't understand the word 'declining' since this show has been like this from the start. I mean, seriously.

Like why expect stuff that this show obviously don't give? If you say I watch this show for plot - hell there are so many plot holes in this series that I just can't watch it for plot. It's comedy show about maoh-yusa cliche twist with unreasonably high quality of production value and direction, which is its worth.
May 16, 2013 8:17 PM

Sep 2012
As some fans in Japan like to point out, with tongues in cheek, that the show has been in "decline" since the first few minutes of ep.1 ha ha ha ha ha

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 16, 2013 8:21 PM
Jan 2013
symbv said:
As some fans in Japan like to point out, with tongues in cheek, that the show has been in "decline" since the first few minutes of ep.1 ha ha ha ha ha
That start of episode 1 was total cheat, since its quality was just too high for the series.

I've never seen any series that has quality of production that is totally undeserving. That fact itself makes it worth watching comedy series at least for me.
May 16, 2013 8:30 PM

Sep 2012
Kitchiri said:
I've never seen any series that has quality of production that is totally undeserving.
Well said. Same to me. I think the key is to set a reasonable and correct expectation for the show you watch. But in terms of Quality of Production, you are right that it is rare for a series to really fall flat nowadays.

May 16, 2013 8:42 PM
Jan 2013
symbv said:
Kitchiri said:
I've never seen any series that has quality of production that is totally undeserving.
Well said. Same to me. I think the key is to set a reasonable and correct expectation for the show you watch. But in terms of Quality of Production, you are right that it is rare for a series to really fall flat nowadays.
I think the sheer fact that Hataraku Maou-sama is from Dengeki Bunko (you know it is largest + one that has better grasp on media mix) is a thing that can explain high production quality of this series. Lovecome, the one that actually has 'better' sense of developing story and plot, has some obvious low quality production value and it is not Dengeki but Gagaga bunko.

Everything apart from the plot/story in this series - including animation, direction, voice acting, BGM and others - is just unreasonable good, just makes me laugh. It's almost too much. Not that I don't like it - but white fox is sure wasting too much of their worth on series like this lol.
May 16, 2013 8:44 PM

Sep 2012
Kitchiri said:
Not that I don't like it - but white fox is sure wasting too much of their worth on series like this lol.
Or you could say they are smart spending their resource by agreeing to do this series and now being able to associate themselves with its tremendous success ;-)

May 16, 2013 8:47 PM
Jan 2013
symbv said:
Kitchiri said:
Not that I don't like it - but white fox is sure wasting too much of their worth on series like this lol.
Or you could say they are smart spending their resource by agreeing to do this series and now being able to associate themselves with its tremendous success ;-)
True. This series just can't be done any better than this. Kinda amazing, actually.
May 16, 2013 8:49 PM

Nov 2011
L, nice poll selections.
May 16, 2013 9:20 PM

Sep 2012
It's definitely good, but it's not going to be a highly memorable or completed work (more LN volumes to the story), and probably won't sell amazingly either, so I'd say that White fox IS wasting their time on this. They could be adapting Rewrite or something.
May 16, 2013 9:41 PM

Apr 2013
its like that for every show.
May 16, 2013 9:42 PM

Sep 2012
Vladz0r said:
It's definitely good, but it's not going to be a highly memorable or completed work (more LN volumes to the story), and probably won't sell amazingly either,
When you said it "won't sell amazingly", on what basis you made that guess? Because the facts seem to be VERY DIFFERENT, as the discussion in the Sales threads in the News Section of MAL shows:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=596995&show=40#msg21920001 (anime BD/DVD)
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=599857
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=596275 (the LN)

Vladz0r said:

so I'd say that White fox IS wasting their time on this. They could be adapting Rewrite or something
Perhaps you should only make such assertion after you check the facts first.

May 16, 2013 10:14 PM

Jul 2010
Hahaha I think it's some kind of law that MAL's going to dislike every show I end up enjoying.

Though in fairness I can't really say what it is I enjoy about this show (and still enjoy at episode 7). It just works for me I suppose.
May 16, 2013 10:40 PM

Aug 2012
I'm the only syphilis vote?
May 16, 2013 11:42 PM

Nov 2011
Oh ya, I forgot my vote:

All of the above (your vote)
May 17, 2013 4:59 AM

Dec 2012
I just went with stupid, there has been people saying this stuff since episode 1 and so far Maou hasn't disappointed. I noticed the most popular complaint is "it's going to turn into a generic harem" although so far Chi is the only girl that likes Maou.
May 17, 2013 5:35 AM

Aug 2012
I went with all of the above.
May 17, 2013 6:33 AM
Jun 2012
Monde11 said:
I just went with stupid, there has been people saying this stuff since episode 1 and so far Maou hasn't disappointed. I noticed the most popular complaint is "it's going to turn into a generic harem" although so far Chi is the only girl that likes Maou.

I agree with you.
And so far in the LN there is no "harem", and besides the story in the anime is only in introduction stage, there are still much plot and seriousness coming in later volumes though we won't see those in the anime.
May 17, 2013 8:25 AM

Nov 2010
Monde11 said:
Doesn't the new neighbor Suzuno like him too? She made him a lunch with a big heard on it. And Emi said to her "are you going after Maou too". She was talking about Chi as the first, that and the way she acts around him are totally signs that she likes him too.

That would be three, which is a harem.
May 17, 2013 8:34 AM

Aug 2009
Come on Takuan_Soho this is pretty normal for MAL.

They only bad thing about Maou is that it is 13 eps.I dont know how long the source is but this is a disappointment.
May 17, 2013 8:53 AM

Dec 2012
Maou is excellent at what it's trying to be. I went with all of the above.
May 17, 2013 9:35 AM

Apr 2010
This show is declining in quality?

That's news to me.

huehue93 said:

I initially loved the idea of the show but now its on the path to becoming a cliche harem anime. Like tell me what major thing has happened in the show since the first episode? Almost nothing besides the earthquake stuff in which the enemies were just weaklings. We are 7 episodes in a 13 episode anime and all we got was chi chan being jealous, some tsundare moments from emi. Obviously it might get better but the last few episodes have done the show no justice.

I think the scene after the OP in Episode 6 is proof enough that something major will happen.

What harem? I only see one girl after Maou.
Aria_WrightMay 17, 2013 10:04 AM
May 17, 2013 10:02 AM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Monde11 said:
Doesn't the new neighbor Suzuno like him too? She made him a lunch with a big heard on it. And Emi said to her "are you going after Maou too". She was talking about Chi as the first, that and the way she acts around him are totally signs that she likes him too.

I thought it was obvious that Emi and Suzuno were having two different conversation in that scene. Suzuno seems to have misunderstood what Emi meant by "are you going after Maou too" I think she thought Emi meant trying to kill Maou. The heart lunch probably a ploy to get Maou to put his guard down or something.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
May 17, 2013 10:06 AM

Apr 2010
Also how could people even THINK Emilia likes Maou right now? How could she like the person that caused the death of her father, and also ruined her life?
May 17, 2013 10:13 AM

Jul 2012
Solkiskey said:
Also how could people even THINK Emilia likes Maou right now? How could she like the person that caused the death of her father, and also ruined her life?

They have this weird notion that she's a tsundere. It can't be tsundere if she 100% hates Maou, she is only acting like that because it's still taking time for her to accept that Tyrant Maou and his demon vassals have become what they are today, atleast that's what I see.
Num1dad_AsuraMay 17, 2013 10:25 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
May 17, 2013 10:18 AM

Apr 2011
I am honored you made this topic because of the comment I made. I will choose "whiny little poser", cause I thought that one was the funniest. Posing as what exactly?
May 17, 2013 10:21 AM
Oct 2012
Num1dad_Asura said:
I thought it was obvious that Emi and Suzuno were having two different conversation in that scene. Suzuno seems to have misunderstood what Emi meant by "are you going after Maou too" I think she thought Emi meant trying to kill Maou. The heart lunch probably a ploy to get Maou to put his guard down or something.

You really shouldn't be surprised when people miss the obvious. There was also the discussion about having enough power, and Eme was taking this as a reference to Emi's power.

Here is another one: inquisitors go after heretics. Who is the heretic in this situation? It certainly isn't Maou. Eme was testing Emi at the end, she wanted to see how strong she was. When Emi summoned the sacred sword, that was what Eme wanted to know, which is why she stopped the attack.
May 17, 2013 10:29 AM
Oct 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I am honored you made this topic because of the comment I made. I will choose "whiny little poser", cause I thought that one was the funniest. Posing as what exactly?

Ah, no sorry to disappoint but this poll wasn't directed at you. I answered you sincerely on the 7th episode thread. You wouldn't have qualified for this because you actually GAVE a reason why you were worried about the direction of the show. A wrong reason I think (in that I don't think this show is going to become a harem), but at least a reason.

Posing as what? Sophisticated, smarter than thou, whatever. The point is that they want to be the first to predict a show is going to decline. This type is legion.

ssjokg Yes I know this is typical, but it doesn't mean we can't have some fun at their expense!
May 17, 2013 10:34 AM

Sep 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
SOMETHING has to be the cause
Because it's so hard to imagine an anime with such a generic premise, that most shitty ecchi harem anime have, could actually be good.
May 17, 2013 11:13 AM

Apr 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Ah, no sorry to disappoint but this poll wasn't directed at you. I answered you sincerely on the 7th episode thread. You wouldn't have qualified for this because you actually GAVE a reason why you were worried about the direction of the show. A wrong reason I think (in that I don't think this show is going to become a harem), but at least a reason.

Posing as what? Sophisticated, smarter than thou, whatever. The point is that they want to be the first to predict a show is going to decline. This type is legion.

ssjokg Yes I know this is typical, but it doesn't mean we can't have some fun at their expense!

Ah ok, fair enough. I thought you had called me an idiot cause of what I said in the ep discussion thread, but I guess you didn't technically direct that at me. Then I noticed you made this topic right after that.

Like I said I like the show, but I almost didn't watch it cause it looked like the typical fan service full rom-com with a wacky plot. It wasn't, and I was pleasantly surprised. The last two episodes have kind of been showing signs of it though. Honestly if they have a bath house episode included in the next 6 episodes I will be pretty aggravated.

I understand why the writers/artists do that, cause it sells and people like it. I just personally don't. That is why I liked this show, cause it didn't fall back on those things like practically every other rom-com lately. So if it does go that route, I will obviously be let down.

Hopefully you're right and it doesn't, I will finish the show no matter what though cause I enjoyed it and it is only 13 episodes. As you can see though, a lot of people actually want the show to be like that. Not trying to imply anything is wrong with liking it, I just personally don't.
May 17, 2013 1:30 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Doesn't the new neighbor Suzuno like him too? She made him a lunch with a big heard on it.
Not sure what the heart means but I wouldn't say it automatically means she's in love with him, she hasn't shown signs of such attraction to Maou and since she hasn't been in their world very long she may not know exactly what it means and could think it's just a symbol to show simple affection for another.

IntroverTurtle said:
And Emi said to her "are you going after Maou too". She was talking about Chi as the first, that and the way she acts around him are totally signs that she likes him too.

Maybe you misunderstood that scene, Emi thought that Suzuno liked Maou like you say, but Suzuno misunderstood Emi and thinks she's an Assassin who's after Maou. I'm sure you've noticed by now that Suzuno is the inquisitor from the beginning of episode 6. The way Emi acts around Maou makes it easy for people to think she's just being tsun, but she's been raised throughout most of her life to fight a merciless demon lord who slaughters humans, it's frustrating for her to see him acting kind to others.
May 17, 2013 4:26 PM

Aug 2009
yes I'm thinking the heart is a honest mistake. Suzuno said at the beginning that she heard that noodles would be a nice gift for your new neighbors. She is still learning about life on Earth and maybe just copied some Japanese recipes that were traditional (it's a whole new years bento, come on :P) and she might not understand the concept of the heart shape at all.
May 18, 2013 10:12 AM

Oct 2012
Solkiskey said:
I think it was more at the fault of Lucifer. If I remember correctly, the Demons who attacked her village were in command of him
May 19, 2013 12:19 AM
Aug 2012
AnimeHAwk616 said:
Solkiskey said:
I think it was more at the fault of Lucifer. If I remember correctly, the Demons who attacked her village were in command of him

Well unless Lucifer directly killed her father, he can't be held fully responsible. Lucifer's minions were following orders from Lucifer, who was following orders from Maou, who was the one who sent Lucifer to the island in the first place. Plus by being the Demon King Maou had already f***** up Emi's life in the first place.
May 19, 2013 1:33 AM

May 2007
huehue93 said:

Harem are you sure you're watching the same thing as I? It's a triangle at best currently, Kamazuki
May 19, 2013 11:27 AM

Mar 2013
AlexTheRiot said:
I'm the only syphilis vote?

I'm surprised the syphilis was not on the top of the list.

Anyway guys. This show is funny. The worst thing it could do would be to get even slightly more serious. That's why episode 6 made me so happy.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they changed the opening from introducing maou as a MgRonald's employee to just your typical anime opening. Unless I just missed it. Was funny though.
slashenjoiMay 19, 2013 11:31 AM

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
May 30, 2013 6:00 PM

May 2013
I've read its novels, but I don't tell predictions or spoilers stand on novels.
They spoil this nice anime, any fan don't want such a foolish act.
cml-p
May 30, 2013 6:18 PM

May 2011
lol nice selections.
May 31, 2013 1:54 AM

Sep 2012
5layer said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Because it's so hard to imagine an anime with such a generic premise, that most shitty ecchi harem anime have, could actually be good.
Because your imagination is failing. Besides nobody said being generic cannot be entertaining, and I wonder where is the ecchi or harem in this anime lol

Jun 1, 2013 3:43 PM

Apr 2007
I guess they just want to ruin it for everyone since they were unable to enjoy it themselves.
Jun 9, 2013 3:38 AM

Jan 2013
Why do people get so butthurt when a male lead has multiple romantic interests?

Are you guys really jealous of a cartoon mcdonalds manager?
Jun 9, 2013 2:52 PM
Aug 2012
Solvite said:
Why do people get so butt hurt when a male lead has multiple romantic interests?

Are you guys really jealous of a cartoon McDonald manager?

+1

That's one of the main reasons harem MCs get so much unwanted hate comments. These guys feel so lonely so they vent out their frustration like that.

Jun 15, 2013 7:08 AM

Sep 2008
symbv said:
5layer said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Because your imagination is failing. Besides nobody said being generic cannot be entertaining, and I wonder where is the ecchi or harem in this anime lol
I wasn't talking about myself thinking that. I meant that that was what most people probably thought. Also I said the premise is similar to that of generic ecchi harem anime. Didn't say this was actually an ecchi harem or anything.
Nov 6, 2013 5:21 AM
Oct 2013
Zephys said:
I guess they just want to ruin it for everyone since they were unable to enjoy it themselves.

Virgins, virgins everywhere. Wait...forget virgins, they don't even have the slightest interaction to the opposite sex so they bent they frustrations to harem - every man's dream.

On a side note:
Predictability - the newest bullshit criterion before story, music and animation in rating nowadays. It is inversely proportional with the anime's quality, the latter completely dependent on the former. The less predictable the anime is, the better the quality. Following this logic, Gintama is probably the best anime in a millenia.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

621 by bakakisima »»
Apr 4, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2013

345 by foofooplay »»
Mar 21, 9:27 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2013

328 by NutsTheBerker »»
Mar 16, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 2, 2013

374 by Ailastara »»
Feb 26, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2013

483 by 0ssi »»
Jan 24, 4:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.