Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 10, 2013 6:23 PM
Dec 2012
Well I finished The Great Gatsby a week ago, and It's my favourite book now. I'm currently reading The Catcher In the Rye now.
Jul 11, 2013 7:16 AM

Oct 2012
I'm currently reading "The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Woa." Pretty amazing book. The linguistic style is addicting! How Junot Diaz plays with words and incorporates his native tongue, as well as his entertaining footnotes, makes for a trip to the candy store for wanna-be-writers like myself.

Also, FINALLY! An Albert Camus recommendation. I've been trying to get another title besides "The Rebel." Better get myself a copy of "The Stranger" then.
Jul 11, 2013 11:17 AM

Mar 2009
It's interesting. I spoke with an English major last week, and she really hates Catcher in the Rye and Gravity's Rainbow.

A Clockwork Orange is my favorite. Interesting but awesome to see a Murakami recommendation. I'm almost done with Brave New World. I wonder if I'll finish the most pretentious book, House of Leaves.

FourSwordKirby,
I'll take your challenge by recommending Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki, Sayonara, Gangsters by Takahashi Gen'ichiro, and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Murakami Haruki. Mission complete.
AlabastreAizoJul 11, 2013 11:22 AM
Jul 11, 2013 11:48 AM

Dec 2011
I used to read a lot rather than watch anime though it's not easy for me to do these days due to my physical condition. Sounds ridiculous, not like reading a book is strenuous but I have and pain in my hands and forearms so holding up a book for long periods can effect that. I mostly just read a good short story or a bit of poetry these days.

Favorite authors for me are Edgar Allan Poe, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Franz Kafka and William Shakespeare. Any fan of literature has heard of those names many times and would do well to become acquainted with each of them. I'm also particularly fond of William Burroughs (on a much lesser scale than the geniuses above) though he's definitely a love him or hate him type of author.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2013 5:57 PM
Dec 2012
I just finished reading Death of a Salesman, and It has to be the saddest play I've read in my entire life.
Jul 12, 2013 7:02 PM

Jul 2011
Any Russian lit fans?
Aug 20, 2013 11:52 PM

Nov 2011
Ive been reading Henryk Sienkiewicz famous "Trilogy", a national treasure in Poland, translated in English. I just finished With Fire & Sword not too long ago and have begun reading The Deluge. The books detail the wars that bloodied Eastern Europe in the mid 17th century with the Khmelnytsky Uprising in the first book to the nigh unstoppable Swedish Deluge in the second, and the Polish-Ottoman war in the fourth. The novels are a great achievement with gorgeous and descriptive prose (even if translated from its native Polish), impressive historical research, plenty of memorable, developed characters, great adventures and battles, and an eloquent understanding of war in the 17th century. Highly recommended.
The Art of Eight
Sep 2, 2013 4:31 PM

Oct 2011
Books? I can recommend tons of them!

Lately I am reading Francois Lelord - Hector and the wonder of friendship (my translation...:D)
If yo have never read any Hector book...do it!

One of my all time favorite books is Ishmael from Daniel Quinn. Wow! You definately want to change the world after reading it!.

On my to do list is the "new" Eco, The Cemetery of Prague. I am really looking forward to it, I really love the name of the rose.

Very nice to read is Paul Auster - Moon Palace. Great to read.

Since I studied philosophy for some time, I like to read Nietzsche. It is definately worth a try ;)
Classics are always good, Goethe anv Voltaire for example.

Well...I am off...have to read :D
Sep 2, 2013 4:36 PM
Aug 2013
Just finished reading The dead and the Buried. Very great book 9/10

Now I am reading Thirteen days to midnight
Sep 3, 2013 6:25 AM

Jan 2013
I did read only around fifteen novels or so + short novels in my life but there's some I think are must read
Voltaire
EmileNoir said:

Classics are always good, Goethe anv Voltaire for example.

Voltaire's "Candide, or optimism" is an incredibly good satirical philosophical tale, it's strange for a novel set in the real world but the exaggerated violence in this book made me think a lot of the church arc in Berserk. Good humour, good adventure, instructire, a must read. I rate it 9.5/10

Has anyone here read Issac Asimov's "Foundation cycle" ? "Foundation" ( the first book ) seems to be the best sf book ever made to me, I got interrested by it because it got the award of best sf/fantasy book of all time from the World Science Fiction Convention and it seemed to me similar to LotGH. I only read half of the first novel of the foundation cycle and I'm already a fan of it, the first chapters are enough to make it a classic and as I thought it's really similar to LotGH as we see in it the fate of the universe over milleniums, there's no sentimentalism/bromance however. The story of this book is really complex but the writing is not, it's easy to read.
plot overview :
10/10 for the first book atm, Issac Asimov is a genius

Wilde's only novel "The picture of Dorian Gray" is really great
It's a sweet pleasure to see Dorian Gray become slowly mad while continuing his search of pleasure, his hedonism... ( little spoiler )

There's also Jacques the Fatalist that Is maybe my favourite novel, Jacques is supposed to speak to his master of his loves while they are travelling but a lot of things happen while they talk and Jacques speak of tons of other things and anytime he can the narrator interrupt the dialogue to speak to the reader and think about the situation so that the main supposed subject of their conversation is get delayed a lot and is not important at all, and Jacques is a strange philosopher... This novel is made ot be strange so it's hard to write about it, it's really very funny. There's tons of philosophical sentences in this book. It's a good entertaining food for thoughts book, I often closed the book to think about it.
quote :
" How did they meet? By chance, like everybody.... Where did they come from? From the nearest place. Where were they going? Do we know where we are going? "
shiranui51Sep 3, 2013 6:40 AM
Sep 3, 2013 9:36 AM

Feb 2013
My favorite book is still L'oeuvre (Emile Zola) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27%C5%92uvre_%28novel%29) although i read it like 8 years ago. This is the most amazing story i've ever read, it's incredibly strong in every aspects, wether it is the writting style, the beautiful and poetic descriptions, the characters, or the story itself. Also there's never any compromise possible with Zola, this is realism (Naturalism if you prefer) at its finest, and so, incredibly sad and harsh. If you're part of any artist community, want to read a book from Zola and are a bit lost among the 20 volumes of Les Rougon-Macquart, this is definitely the one to go with.

Then there's 1984 from Orwell, which contains almost everything you need to know and understand about modernity. A brave new world from Huxley is far behind but still worth reading too.

For Sci-fi lovers i'd mention Philip K.Dick, whos work inspired many good movies like Total Recall, Minority Report, etc ... prolly Steins;gate too. There are lots of books gathering some of his novels which are really good and easy to read, there's a lot of stuff about time paradox and things like that. H.P Lovecraft, considered as the king (and creator) of the Horror literature genre is also a must read. Here again there's a lot of novels who are still used today, in many fields, wether it is for a game such Amnesia who is based on a Lovecraft novel or the mythology he created with evil entities like Nyarlathotep, Cthulhu or the well-known and imaginary Necronomicon book ;)

I could talk about many french writters like Balzac, Stendhal and other classics but i'm really afraid of the translations quality ... or should i say i don't even understand how it's even possible to translate these authors, i'm curious about what's left from the original writting style.
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Sep 9, 2013 2:20 PM

Oct 2011
Shiranui, this one: Jacques the Fatalist sounds really great! I will check it out when I finished the other one I still want to read. Thanks for recommending it :)
Sep 20, 2013 5:40 PM
Aug 2013
Just finished reading Thirteen Days to Midnight. Very good book with good characters. Though, I think that the story gets way too much fights(maybe that's me since sometimes I didn't pay attention on focus reading)

8/10 great book. The author did a great job.
Sep 22, 2013 11:20 PM

Nov 2011
Reading Lies of Locke Lamora. Not bad I guess, The Venetian-like fantasy setting is pretty cool and the focus on thieves and con men instead of heroes and warriors is quite unique for a fantasy novel.
The Art of Eight
Nov 20, 2013 9:45 PM

Sep 2012
Does anybody here have an opinion on Michael Crichton? He is my all time favorite author, and it really is such a shame that he died.

Some of my favorite quotes from his works:
Nov 21, 2013 4:09 AM
Jul 2012
Lately, I've been reading some Patrick Carman books and his books are the best I ever read. Just got done reading Skeleton Creek 2. Wish that my liaabary has the rest of the series.

8/10

And, now I going to read Confessions of a murder killer.
Nov 21, 2013 10:53 AM

Dec 2011
dankickyou said:
Reading Lies of Locke Lamora. Not bad I guess, The Venetian-like fantasy setting is pretty cool and the focus on thieves and con men instead of heroes and warriors is quite unique for a fantasy novel.

I actually read that a while ago, randomly checked it out in a local library and had a lot of fun with it. Eventually read the sequel book, wasn't as good but still worth reading.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2013 5:04 PM

Feb 2012
I've been reading some Foundation lately, but other than that I haven't been interested in reading anything for years. Used to read a lot of fantasy and also some scifi and historical drama back in the day. Now I kind of need things that aren't so much about the story, yet ones that aren't total art faggotry either, but it's not that simple to dig up books from libraries or book stores like that. Takes way too much time and with zero reference material from common literature it's not going to be easy.
Feb 7, 2014 9:31 PM
Nov 2013
Just created my top 10 favorite books. I guess I'm a Dostoevsky fanboy hahahah, lol. 5 out of 10.
Apr 7, 2014 1:25 AM

Oct 2012
Currently reading a collection of essays by David Foster Wallace titled Both Flesh and Not. I originally wanted Consider the Lobster, but this thing came with a personal vocabulary so huzzah! So happy I bought it.
Apr 8, 2014 12:05 PM

Jul 2013
The Sniper. It's my favorite short story. It deeply resonated with me because of my personal situation. It made me question the uncertain path that lies ahead and what circumstances might lead to that result.
Nagisa33Apr 8, 2014 12:13 PM
Apr 8, 2014 9:59 PM

Feb 2008
Some time ago I've started Zola's Les Rougon-Macquart series, with Nana being the most recent novel from the series that I've read and Germinal being the best one so far. Nana is general is something like the apocalypse of the old French bourgeoisie by the hand of prostitution and other vices, a clear view on an old society in it's twilight years.

Sep 19, 2014 9:26 AM

Feb 2008
Bump~

Among the things I've been reading recently, Celine really caught my attention. Having read Journey to the End of the Night and Death on the Installment Plan, I can't help but think that he's one of the most criminally underrated writers of the 20th century, not just in France, but in general. Have any of you read his novels, and what are your impressions of them?

Sep 21, 2014 6:58 AM

Apr 2009
Discovered Count of Monte Cristo through its anime adaptation.have been my all-time favourite ever since

Currently enjoying Lolita and planning to finish at least 1 literature per country / author
belmOct 12, 2014 7:11 PM
Sep 21, 2014 7:05 AM

Aug 2009

That site will be the end of me (thank you, corwin, for introducing it to me).

Anyway, currently reading Foucault's Pendulum (which I picked up because I loved The Name of the Rose). Or more like trying to read it because I am terrible at balancing all the stuffs I want to read/watch/do.

corwin_r said:

Journey to the End of the Night and Death on the Installment Plan

*added to endless ptr list*
Oct 12, 2014 4:26 AM
Mar 2012
Journey to the End of the Night is great. Currently reading In Search of lost time by Proust (in french), got a long way to go as I'm only on the second book, anyone here finished it?

irrols said:

Then there's 1984 from Orwell, which contains almost everything you need to know and understand about modernity. A brave new world from Huxley is far behind but still worth reading too.

To me Brave New world has always been the superior one, on top of being more accurate in predicting the future
Oct 22, 2014 8:47 AM

Feb 2008
Enokii said:
Currently reading In Search of lost time by Proust (in french), got a long way to go as I'm only on the second book, anyone here finished it?

It's one of the things I plan on buying when the opportunity arises, books are quite cheap where I live, but specific titles or series can be relatively expensive.

I've finished reading Notes from the Underground, and wow, did it resonate with me. Dostoyevsky in general was well before his time, but the Notes were like a callout to all the awkward people that don't follow mainstream social conventions, and in a way, the main character was like an "advanced internet user".

Oct 22, 2014 10:36 AM

Jun 2011
Enokii said:
irrols said:
To me Brave New world has always been the superior one, on top of being more accurate in predicting the future

I much prefer Huxley's prose to Orwell's, and I found myself a lot more engaged in Brave New World.
Dec 3, 2014 12:38 PM

Jan 2013
Well because of that libib site I found, I took it upon myself to add most of the titles namedropped here to stuff I could (eventually) read, and I figured I could bump this thread in the meantime and see if people have anymore suggestions for primo literature and stuff read lately that's good. I'm pretty much a blank slate but if I have some trustworthy thoughts from you guys, maybe I could take a dive with some good books because 95% of the prose I've read puts me to sleep if I'm to be so brazenly honest.

P.S. Would anyone by chance happened to have read Baroness Orczy's 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'? I had to read an excerpt from it for an English class once and it was gleefully sardonic and amusing to read, I ended up buying it way back but haven't gotten around to it; figure that now that I'm in the experimental crux of life I can start playing around with other media more easily (been watching more live-action movies after all and starting to take new interest in some sports, etc) and it would be easier to get back around to. In any case, if any one has read it, I'd be curious to see how it stacks up.
Dec 3, 2014 12:40 PM

Apr 2012
Not much of a book guy, but I recently read Metro 2033 and I loved it. Its a great dystopian post apocalyptic story if you ask me.
Dec 3, 2014 1:08 PM

Aug 2009
baki502 said:
I recently read Metro 2033 and I loved it.

Because of the game, no? Anyway, that book has been on my ptr list for some time now, mostly because I tend to add tons of stuff that sounds interesting, and post-apocalyptic sci-fi usually sounds interesting to me. I should try to get around to it.
Dec 3, 2014 1:09 PM
Nov 2009
AngelsArcanum said:
Well because of that libib site I found, I took it upon myself to add most of the titles namedropped here to stuff I could (eventually) read, and I figured I could bump this thread in the meantime and see if people have anymore suggestions for primo literature and stuff read lately that's good. I'm pretty much a blank slate but if I have some trustworthy thoughts from you guys, maybe I could take a dive with some good books because 95% of the prose I've read puts me to sleep if I'm to be so brazenly honest.

What are you interested in? Genres, themes, settings ect.
Dec 3, 2014 1:18 PM

Apr 2012
metamorphius said:
baki502 said:
I recently read Metro 2033 and I loved it.

Because of the game, no? Anyway, that book has been on my ptr list for some time now, mostly because I tend to add tons of stuff that sounds interesting, and post-apocalyptic sci-fi usually sounds interesting to me. I should try to get around to it.

"Im not much of a book guy"- Should give it away ^^. I absolutely love the game. Naturally the book is better storywise, but the game I think couldnt have been adapted better. Its very much an adaptation since it does have quite a few differences, needed to make it work as a game.

Oh but its not Sci-fi. At all. Due to the shit that went on technology actually regressed. Expect something along the lines of WW2 rather, in terms of technology.
Dec 3, 2014 1:38 PM
Nov 2009
Sci-fi isn't just about pewpew lasers and stuff. Granted a lot of sci-fi is actually fantasy, like Star Wars.

Metro question
[spoiler]Aren't there monster or something like that? The novel is listed as sci-fi
Dec 3, 2014 1:39 PM

Jan 2013
mugi said:
AngelsArcanum said:

What are you interested in? Genres, themes, settings ect.

Nothing too specific, with most media genre, ideas and whatnot are irrelevant so long as it's good. I guess I have a preference for historical stuff with prose that isn't too dry, something philosophy or poetry-oriented, a good fantasy, maybe sci-fi and stuff with some poignant romance - not wish-fulfillment smut or manipulative crap that plagues much of the genre it seems these days, but something tender. Hard to say because again, there have been few books I've whole-heartedly liked over the years I guess.
Dec 3, 2014 1:45 PM

Aug 2009
baki502 said:
Oh but its not Sci-fi. At all. Due to the shit that went on technology actually regressed. Expect something along the lines of WW2 rather, in terms of technology.

So I've heard, yes. When I said sci-fi, I meant post-apocalyptic fiction, as a subgenre of sci-fi, if you will.

Interestingly enough, the thing that got me intrigued in Metro was the setting. Just having the story take place in something as vast as the Moscow Metro (which hopefully includes RL stations such as Prospekt Mira, Mayakovskaya, Elektrozavodskaya etc.) should be quite interesting. I suppose I am fascinated by relatively boring stuff.
Dec 3, 2014 1:48 PM

Apr 2012
mugi said:
Sci-fi isn't just about pewpew lasers and stuff. Granted a lot of sci-fi is actually fantasy, like Star Wars.

Metro question
[spoiler]Aren't there monster or something like that? The novel is listed as sci-fi

Dec 3, 2014 2:11 PM
Nov 2009
AngelsArcanum said:

Nothing too specific, with most media genre, ideas and whatnot are irrelevant so long as it's good. I guess I have a preference for historical stuff with prose that isn't too dry, something philosophy or poetry-oriented, a good fantasy, maybe sci-fi and stuff with some poignant romance - not wish-fulfillment smut or manipulative crap that plagues much of the genre it seems these days, but something tender. Hard to say because again, there have been few books I've whole-heartedly liked over the years I guess.

[/quote]

Kinda random but try Tales of Otori. I liked the first book a lot.

As for sci-fi, you can try some of these:

Philip K. Dick
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
- We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

Arthur C . Clarke
- Childhood's End
- The Sentinel
- 2001 novels

Harlan Ellison
- I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

Frank Herbert
- Dune (the sci-fi bible?)

Dan Simmons
- Hyperion

Orson Scott Card
- Ender’s Game

Isaac Asimov
- Foundation series
- Empire series
- Robot series

Cordwainer Smith
- Instrumentality of Mankind/The Rediscovery of Man

Authors I don't remember and am too lazy to look up
- The Stars My Destination
- Neuromancer

Robert Anton Wilson
- Schrödinger's Cat books
- Illuminatus!
- Prometheus Rising (not really recommended)

Some of these are also referenced in popular anime, like Childhood's End and Cordwainer Smith (EVA/Ideon). Some of these are short stories by the way.
Both books by Philip C. Dick were the... source material for two movies; Blade Runner and Total Recall, though almost entirely different.
2001 Space Odysee is also heavier than the movie, both are great though and the Sentinel was also used as basis for the movie I believe.
Most of these are really heavy on philosophy, hard science or metaphysics.
mugiDec 3, 2014 6:52 PM
Dec 3, 2014 2:55 PM

Mar 2014
I read Metro 2033 because of the game. It was a fun read, but the lore didn't make much sense. I never actually got to read the sequel.

So Metro 2033 is the second game that got me to read the source material, the first being the Witcher. Anyone else read it? I've just read the Last Wish and Blood of elves
Dec 3, 2014 2:56 PM

Apr 2012
TehSkullkid said:
I read Metro 2033 because of the game. It was a fun read, but the lore didn't make much sense. I never actually got to read the sequel.

So Metro 2033 is the second game that got me to read the source material, the first being the Witcher. Anyone else read it? I've just read the Last Wish and Blood of elves

Is it worth it? I heard it doesnt have a coherent story and is just a collection of stories. Not quite sure if I am up for that.
Dec 3, 2014 3:25 PM

Mar 2014
baki502 said:
Is it worth it? I heard it doesnt have a coherent story and is just a collection of stories. Not quite sure if I am up for that.

The Last Wish is a collection of stories while Blood of Elves got a coherent plot. I guess you can read BoE without reading Last Wish, but you wouldn't have a lot of info on character relationships.

There are some stories in the Last Wish that are quite good and some that are decent. Most are rather good so its an enjoyable read.

BoE got an overarching story which is quite political(Witcher 2 style)
and it is far more exciting and with far more likeable characters and a lot of info about the world and the lore. I'd say BoE is very good while Last Wish suffers from not having an overarching plot, but is very well written. Some of the short stories focuses on character relationships and problems that would play a large role in BoE. Also monster hunting
Dec 5, 2014 5:27 AM
Jun 2008
Neuromancer is written by William Gibson, and together with Bladerunner are the progenitors of cyberpunk.

I don't know how the English editions of Witcher are (I think only 2 books are translated?) but most other languages got 7 books - 2 are short stories, 5 are an overarching saga like any other fantasy series.
Dec 16, 2014 1:00 PM

Apr 2012
So I read Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut today. Gotta say I am extremely impressed. Its a small 200 page book but its amazing. I dont even quite know how to really sum it up its really something one has to experience oneself but I want to leave one quote from the book that actually describes the book perfectly:

"There is no beginning, no middle, no end, no suspense, no moral, no causes, no effects.!"

If you are atleast curious give it a shot. English is not my prime language and I read it in a bout 5 hrs. Most of you probably would manage alot faster.
Dec 17, 2014 5:40 AM

Feb 2008
Vonnnegut is great, other than Slaughterhouse Five, I've also read Cat's Cradle by him. His prose is easy and simplistic, but he really has a great sense of humour. Rare are the authors that I have laughed so heartily while reading their work.

If you're into humour lit, you should check out A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, Ignatius is a scumbag, and his antics depict nerds in general to seem like quite an intolerable bunch, but you just can't bring yourself to hate him.

I've been reading some Tolstoy lately, particularly his shorter works, which are quite impressive, despite the somewhat naive Christian standpoint and twist they often take. The Forged Coupon and Hadji Murat left the biggest impression on me. Stepan's enlightenment in a harsh prison environment almost makes the reader feel envious, and Hadji Murat is like War & Peace lite, with a big cast that is effectively fleshed out in so little space. Both works (W&P and Hadji Murat) are something every LoGH and space opera fan in general should eventually get around to read.

Dec 17, 2014 6:46 AM

Apr 2012
corwin_r said:
Vonnnegut is great, other than Slaughterhouse Five, I've also read Cat's Cradle by him. His prose is easy and simplistic, but he really has a great sense of humour. Rare are the authors that I have laughed so heartily while reading their work.

If you're into humour lit, you should check out A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, Ignatius is a scumbag, and his antics depict nerds in general to seem like quite an intolerable bunch, but you just can't bring yourself to hate him.

I am thinking of reading more of Vonnegut, also Cats Craddle since that one was mentioned on the back of the book as the book that made him famous and established him a a "true artist". I kind of hate that prentious way of putting it but I guess they where self aware since they put it in brackets.
Also a Confederancy of Dunces sounds interesting and its only 350 pages which comfortable.

That said I am not quite sure how to get by theese books, dont really want to buy them blind. Maybe Ill look in a local library.
I got SH5 from school as a part of my english course and I regretably postponed it till the day before my presentation where I read it in one go ^^. Not much of a book reader but I think I have gotten a bit more love for the medium because of SH5. I think I have taken a liking to shorter books that are a bit more strange/unique. SH5 way of telling the story is atleast like no other I have seen.

I dont know if I will really ever get into reading your standard fare 1000 pages books that follow conventional styles.
Jul 10, 2015 8:14 PM

Jul 2013
"I'm really awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard."
Lolololol. I'm listening to the audiobook version and the way the storyteller says these lines makes me want to throw it out the car. So monotonous, so precise, so content. The storyteller is doing a bang up job with the different character voices. Yeah, I'm enjoying Brave New World so far. I'm going through the classics while I'm on my commute to and from work and it makes it much more enjoyable.
Nagisa33Jul 10, 2015 8:17 PM
Jul 11, 2015 10:37 AM
Dec 2013
I particularly enjoyed a few works like Huxley's Brave New World, Marquez's Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Kazantzakis's Zorba the Greek, or Kafka's The Metamorphosis.

I plan to get into Steven King, John Steinbeck and George Orwell books in the future, I'm just currently indisposed. Anybody happen to know good 'entry' books for those authors?

I would read A Song of Ice and Fire (haven't seen the TV show), but I think I'll wait for it to finish, as long as that may take. I don't want to get engaged in a whole new world only to have to wait half a decade for more, no matter how good it may be.

I'm currently reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, a bit less than halfway through, and I must say that it is quite the experience. I'd recommend it so far, though a reader would probably need quite a bit of patience, and the book can be a bit preachy.
Jul 12, 2015 3:48 AM

Jul 2013
Lolita remains my favorite book of all time. A brilliant masterpiece.
Nothing else needs to be said.
Jul 12, 2015 10:12 AM

Mar 2009
I just finished The Disaster Artist, and I really have to say that it's a legitimately well written and interesting novel if you have seen The Room. I highly recommend it.
Soul-Master said:
Lolita remains my favorite book of all time. A brilliant masterpiece.
Nothing else needs to be said.
That's my girlfriend's favorite!
Jul 12, 2015 10:19 AM

Apr 2013
Ah yes, Lolita is brilliant.

I just realized I haven't made a post in this thread as of yet. Silly me.

I can't really make many contributions. I have a penchant for 19th to mid 20th century classic literature. I don't know too much about any contemporary novelists. Though I welcome recommendations.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.