Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 13, 2013 12:51 AM

Nov 2011
Irenesharda said:
My thing is that Chamber knows the difference between an undersea creature and a Hideauze. He's identified sea creatures for Red, and yet he states that this creature is a 99.97% confirmed Hideauze. So what's up?

A regular squid can't be the same as the Hideauze since the Hideauze obviously can survive and fly around in space, as well as are predatory to humans. So how can the two species be that similar? I can see 75% or 80% but 99.97%?!

It was 99,7% IIRC. But anyway, that's about the same as the genetic similarity between chimpanzees and us. They climb trees, we fly in space.

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
May 13, 2013 12:59 AM

Apr 2009
Eh... erotic dancing? The amount of fanservice has been increasing... not that it's a bad thing per se, but I hope it won't be detrimental to time that could be used to better develop the plot or the characters. Then again I did notice Ledo starting to pay more attention to the girls. Amy in particular.

Speaking of plot... Through salvage work Ledo might also discover important information that can help him return to his side of humanity. And then he appears to have discovered a Hideauze creature under the ocean. This could mean many things: Hideauze have begun invading Earth; Hideauze have been inhabiting Earth all along; Some Hideauze have also fallen into the wormhole along with him; or Ledo and Chamber might have gotten the off-chance of misidentifying a native (evolved) creature.

Kinda liked the scene when Ledo hugged Amy defensively. It looked romantic. Though there's a long way to go for any sort of romance to develop here, especially with Ledo's utilitarian way of thinking.
May 13, 2013 1:13 AM

Feb 2008
So Urobutcher, where the fuck is my death count?
May 13, 2013 1:20 AM

Jul 2012
linchpin said:
Irenesharda said:
My thing is that Chamber knows the difference between an undersea creature and a Hideauze. He's identified sea creatures for Red, and yet he states that this creature is a 99.97% confirmed Hideauze. So what's up?

A regular squid can't be the same as the Hideauze since the Hideauze obviously can survive and fly around in space, as well as are predatory to humans. So how can the two species be that similar? I can see 75% or 80% but 99.97%?!

It was 99,7% IIRC. But anyway, that's about the same as the genetic similarity between chimpanzees and us. They climb trees, we fly in space.

No the subs had a mistake Chamber said "kyuu juu kyuu ten kyuu nana percent" which is 99.97% if I am not mistaken.
I really hope it turn out to be Hideauze,it will make this more interesting than it is now, atleast to me. Though unless Chamber is malfunctioning 99.97% pretty much confirms it (hopefully...)
Num1dad_AsuraMay 13, 2013 1:29 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
May 13, 2013 1:23 AM

Jun 2009
saxophone15 said:
I don't mind fanservice (most of the time), but it annoyed me a bit in this episode. It just doesn't feel necessary for this show. I also don't like the overtly forced camera perspectives of fanservice like what is displayed in the first GIF image in the first post of this thread. It reminded me of High School of the Dead (I absolutely hated the fanservice in that show). Hopefully...this is as bad as it gets for this show (referring to the fanservice, not the show itself).

Edit:

Pusswookie said:
These last two episodes, on the other hand, have had a few parts that I'd deem unnecessary, like perhaps the 'rapish' trannies, the skinny girl's shallow worries about getting fat, or the lotion scene. Not to mention having the stoic leadership figure Ridgett wearing the "risque" bikini [Bellows I understand, but Ridgett?], or the part where grown men are watching 14-16 year old girls gyrating in skimpy outfits. Now, being a 17 year old guy, I certainly don't mind me some fanservice, but that bit was actually kind of creepy.

At any rate, these last two certainly haven't been bad [especially this one, as it served for character building, romance, and to move the plot along in the form of Ledo getting a job that will obviously lead to the discovery of treasure plot devices], but they haven't been as great as the first four either.

These are my thoughts as well. I'm not one of those people that only want action...I'm fine with slice-of-life material, but those unnecessary things (in my opinion) from the last couple of episodes have hampered my enjoyment of the show.

I was disturbed by how much the men watching said 14 - 15 year old girls were getting as excited as they would watching exotic dancers.

Yes, I do get that some fan service shows Ledo's development but this is a bit much.

And once again, the fan service is directed at the male viewers. Really not much for female viewers...if any...
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
May 13, 2013 1:29 AM

Mar 2013
Kayro said:
So Urobutcher, where the fuck is my death count?

Amen. Episode 5 was entitled "A calm day," and so I, going off my previous experience with Butcher Gen, added the "before the storm" that was so obviously meant to be at the end [of the episode's title] and got myself all excited.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
May 13, 2013 1:45 AM

Dec 2012
I have high hopes in this series because it's Urobutcher's after all.

He is going to fuck shit up.

Just a matter of time.
mattydesuMay 13, 2013 2:03 AM
May 13, 2013 1:54 AM
Sep 2012
Geez, fanservice again, it just seems really unnecessary to a series like this. There's still good world-building stuff, though. Just these little hints throughout these episodes are what keep me interested. Just curious how this'll come together by the end.
May 13, 2013 2:24 AM

Oct 2012
Beautiful BGM at Amy's dance ❤_❤
Red/Ledo vs Hideauze next ep!
Invasion time I guess

Just realized that everyone in SnG don't have family name..
"Signature removed"
May 13, 2013 2:25 AM

Jun 2009
el_putaso said:
PoeticJustice said:
Hybridbloodszak said:
Ledo's development in this episode I found particularly engaging. We've slowly but steadily been seeing him become more human.

I mean now he notices Amy as a girl and females in general when in episode 1 girls were the last thing on his mind. What makes this growth work is how all of this is being told through subtle details that Production IG puts into the show. At dinner when Bellows was arguing the blonde guy(forget his name all the time) he wasn't even paying attention to them but to Amy, Saaya, and Melty dancing on stage. The fanservice in this context worked for me for what it was trying to establish with Ledo

^

This guy. He gets it. LOL At people complaining about fanservice this ep. It was obviously used for a purpose. Ledo is becoming human like my mans over here just said.

Agreed.

I think he learn a bit about "sexuality" during episode 5. Which open his eyes to the world of adults.

To think that back in episode 1, he treated Amy just like some animal, like patting her butt encouraging her to talk more so Chamber could learn about their language. (Even though he knew that she's a human being)

He's certainly more and more like a human now.

Now that he grew attach to the crews, as well as gained more appreciation for life itself, I wonder how it'll change the upcoming plot if he's ever in a situation where he have to make painful decision like "Whether it's fine to sacrifice few for the greater good?"

There's also the scene between him and the boy with flute that have yet to be resolve.

Now... On to the important bit...
THEM DANCE!!!! THEM LEDO SMILE!!! THEM FAN-SERVICES!!!!
ACTION? WHAT ACTION?!

I bet those that complain about the show actually believe that people only care about the fan-service and give no fuck about action.

Which is half-true in my case, I am 100% okay with there being little to no action. As long as the character development is there.

The show is about "soldier that only know combat live with civilians and adapt", I came for that purpose only, and I got what I came for. Any action are but cherry on top of the already delicious cake.

I mean, just look at synopsis

It's clearly NOT about space battles with pew-pew lasers.

Or maybe... Just maybe some of us are actually incapable of reading anything past this

While I find the fan-service of episode 5 very forced, I really like the fan-service of this episode, as it is not unnecessary to the plot-line and character writing. Though some of the close-up shots did raised my eyebrows.
AirStylesMay 13, 2013 2:44 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2013 3:00 AM

Jul 2011
PerlaNemesis said:
bastek66 said:
Better than Magi's

100% agreed.

This! xD
May 13, 2013 3:00 AM
Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
Things I've learned from watching Suisei no Gargantia:

1. Unless you slap people in the face with it, they just will not recognize character development. Subtlety is well and truly dead, if it ever lived at all.

[Snipping all the other parts but I agree with everything.]

If this site had a rep system I would rep you so hard.

Character development is a person changing his views or something similar, but lots of people seem to think it's only obtainable through suffering, tears, mind being broken, etc. The era of subtlety is over ... or is it that lots of kids are watching and it's flying way over their heads?

I've always believed that there's good fan service and bad fan service. Guilty Crown, Queen's Blade, and the like? That's bad fan service, unbelievable context. In this episode though, it's believable because they're dancing in a bar. IN A BAR. It's supposed to be erotic and titillate the guys at least. Have you kids never been in one?

I don't think people got the message in the private dance scene too. It was basically Amy seducing Ledo. Meanwhile, Ledo's being shocked by all these new feelings of love and erotica. He's never felt things like that. That last pose at the end? I wouldn't be surprised if Ledo took Amy then and there if he was a regular human living on Gargantia earth. Amy just SPREAD HER LEGS for him.

Smh at all these mindless action junkies. I guess you're all still kids or hate the idea of girls acting sexually because you've never experienced them yet. I mean, even the SNK forum is pathetic for complaining about Mikasa's lips. Like wtf, is she not supposed to beautify herself or something? She's a girl! Good lord.

Look, just because majority says fan service is a bad thing doesn't mean you have to parrot it everywhere, KIDS. It all depends on the context of the situation, so if you don't understand it, leave it to the ADULTS who do understand the subtext. The innuendos are there for us to enjoy, don't spoil our fun by complaining "OMG FANSARVIS IS BAD HERP" because other people are saying it.

And yes, I'm a girl. Wow, what a miracle, a girl who doesn't mind fan service at all! >__>
May 13, 2013 3:02 AM
Aug 2012
slutbag said:

Just a matter of time.

He didn't have that big of a role in deciding where the plot goes.. so don't be counting on it.
May 13, 2013 3:15 AM

Apr 2008
I just ignored the fanservice this time. It's just pointless noise. THANKFULLY the Hideaz saved the episode. They were NOT forgotten Hallelujah! Now herald the invasion, my glowing squid harbinger!
May 13, 2013 3:23 AM
Nov 2008
And I KNOW Ledo was staring at Amy when she danced ! And....ohohoooo the first a bit more cute moment between them ! I'm liking this xD
May 13, 2013 3:28 AM

Jul 2012
nnangle said:
slutbag said:

Just a matter of time.

He didn't have that big of a role in deciding where the plot goes.. so don't be counting on it.

Well, he is in charge series composition, I assume he gives the orders for which direction the show will go. So while he isn't writing the script (except first and last episode) he still has the final say for the overall plot for the show, if I am not mistaken.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
May 13, 2013 3:38 AM

Jan 2009
Hollogen said:
What I really want to know is how the fuck are they powering all those ships. Since they don't have access to any kind of fuel, and I don't see them using any kind of solar or wind power.

they got electricity episode 2 says so

May 13, 2013 3:56 AM

May 2012
j0x said:
Hollogen said:
What I really want to know is how the fuck are they powering all those ships. Since they don't have access to any kind of fuel, and I don't see them using any kind of solar or wind power.

they got electricity episode 2 says so

Thanks, guess I missed that part.
May 13, 2013 4:08 AM

Sep 2012
That dance killed me.
May 13, 2013 4:19 AM
Jan 2009
Belly dancing is fine. But then again I didn't really see much of it. All I saw was breasts and asses bouncing around.

Seriously though, is it that hard to love an anime without fanservice? Does the anime suck so bad they need to have fanservice to attract people? Plain sad.

I just hope they're finally done with the fanservice. That beach episode was enough, but this? This anime's great, but they had to add some... ugh.

Oh, and if the 'fanservice' is for Ledo's 'development', sure, but please, zoom out? I wanna see the dance, too! The music was awesome, and the dance seems great, but then you know, boobs and butts. You don't even have to zoom in completely to show that Ledo's FINALLY taking an interest. Just have him enthralled, DONE!

But okay. Some men are like this. Predictable.
aoaoaoa123May 13, 2013 4:24 AM
May 13, 2013 4:21 AM

Apr 2008
akito989 said:
Belly dancing is fine. But then again I didn't really see much of it. All I saw was breasts and asses bouncing around.

Seriously though, is it that hard to love an anime without fanservice? Does the anime suck so bad they need to have fanservice to attract people? Plain sad.

I just hope they're finally done with the fanservice. That beach episode was enough, but this? This anime's great, but they had to add some... ugh.

Luckily the plot showed up near the end so we can hope for some improvement on that front.
May 13, 2013 4:28 AM

Jan 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:

1. Unless you slap people in the face with it, they just will not recognize character development. Subtlety is well and truly dead, if it ever lived at all.

2. Give a dog a bone and he'll bite your hand. Give him two and he'll bite you twice.

3. People somehow have come to think that "Sci-Fi=TONS OF ACTION!!!!!!!!!" when it actually doesn't, at all. I would blame Star Wars, but that was always meant to be more fantasy than Sci-Fi. News flash: Classic Sci-Fi is/was rarely action packed: Original Star Trek anyone? Sci-Fi was always more about characters and character stories than action.

4. The only appropriate development/dialogue must be done during intense space/water battles with every female character in a burqa. Actually, why do they even have females? Females just take time away from the space battles, which we all know are the real story here.

5. My first impression, based on lazy watching, must always be proven correct or the author/creator/director is wrong and is stupid and fuck this stupid talky-talk show. If I wanted talking and character development and subtlety I would go watch You Got Mail or some girly shit like that. I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show)

Haha pretty much this, I'm glad this was one of the first posts I read this morning. It's really put me in the right mood.
May 13, 2013 4:38 AM

Jan 2013
AirStyles said:
el_putaso said:
PoeticJustice said:
Hybridbloodszak said:
Ledo's development in this episode I found particularly engaging. We've slowly but steadily been seeing him become more human.

I mean now he notices Amy as a girl and females in general when in episode 1 girls were the last thing on his mind. What makes this growth work is how all of this is being told through subtle details that Production IG puts into the show. At dinner when Bellows was arguing the blonde guy(forget his name all the time) he wasn't even paying attention to them but to Amy, Saaya, and Melty dancing on stage. The fanservice in this context worked for me for what it was trying to establish with Ledo

^

This guy. He gets it. LOL At people complaining about fanservice this ep. It was obviously used for a purpose. Ledo is becoming human like my mans over here just said.

Agreed.

I think he learn a bit about "sexuality" during episode 5. Which open his eyes to the world of adults.

To think that back in episode 1, he treated Amy just like some animal, like patting her butt encouraging her to talk more so Chamber could learn about their language. (Even though he knew that she's a human being)

He's certainly more and more like a human now.

Now that he grew attach to the crews, as well as gained more appreciation for life itself, I wonder how it'll change the upcoming plot if he's ever in a situation where he have to make painful decision like "Whether it's fine to sacrifice few for the greater good?"

There's also the scene between him and the boy with flute that have yet to be resolve.

Now... On to the important bit...
THEM DANCE!!!! THEM LEDO SMILE!!! THEM FAN-SERVICES!!!!
ACTION? WHAT ACTION?!

I bet those that complain about the show actually believe that people only care about the fan-service and give no fuck about action.

Which is half-true in my case, I am 100% okay with there being little to no action. As long as the character development is there.

The show is about "soldier that only know combat live with civilians and adapt", I came for that purpose only, and I got what I came for. Any action are but cherry on top of the already delicious cake.

I mean, just look at synopsis

It's clearly NOT about space battles with pew-pew lasers.

Or maybe... Just maybe some of us are actually incapable of reading anything past this

While I find the fan-service of episode 5 very forced, I really like the fan-service of this episode, as it is not unnecessary to the plot-line and character writing. Though some of the close-up shots did raised my eyebrows.
BHancock said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

[Snipping all the other parts but I agree with everything.]

If this site had a rep system I would rep you so hard.

Character development is a person changing his views or something similar, but lots of people seem to think it's only obtainable through suffering, tears, mind being broken, etc. The era of subtlety is over ... or is it that lots of kids are watching and it's flying way over their heads?

I've always believed that there's good fan service and bad fan service. Guilty Crown, Queen's Blade, and the like? That's bad fan service, unbelievable context. In this episode though, it's believable because they're dancing in a bar. IN A BAR. It's supposed to be erotic and titillate the guys at least. Have you kids never been in one?

I don't think people got the message in the private dance scene too. It was basically Amy seducing Ledo. Meanwhile, Ledo's being shocked by all these new feelings of love and erotica. He's never felt things like that. That last pose at the end? I wouldn't be surprised if Ledo took Amy then and there if he was a regular human living on Gargantia earth. Amy just SPREAD HER LEGS for him.

Smh at all these mindless action junkies. I guess you're all still kids or hate the idea of girls acting sexually because you've never experienced them yet. I mean, even the SNK forum is pathetic for complaining about Mikasa's lips. Like wtf, is she not supposed to beautify herself or something? She's a girl! Good lord.

Look, just because majority says fan service is a bad thing doesn't mean you have to parrot it everywhere, KIDS. It all depends on the context of the situation, so if you don't understand it, leave it to the ADULTS who do understand the subtext. The innuendos are there for us to enjoy, don't spoil our fun by complaining "OMG FANSARVIS IS BAD HERP" because other people are saying it.

And yes, I'm a girl. Wow, what a miracle, a girl who doesn't mind fan service at all! >__>

Agreed with all of this.

And @BHancock yeah I read that lol, some people complaining about mikasa having lips wtf? Lmao
But meh whatever in the end, some people will be trolling.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 13, 2013 4:41 AM

Jan 2012
Well hopefully we get some action next episode. I am thinking that the enemy aliens had something to do with earth being lost, maybe they were human creations. Probably Ledo will find out on earth how to defeat them.
May 13, 2013 5:08 AM

Oct 2010
The fanservis is just so out of place in this series...
May 13, 2013 5:10 AM

Sep 2009
akito989 said:

Oh, and if the 'fanservice' is for Ledo's 'development', sure, but please, zoom out? I wanna see the dance, too! The music was awesome, and the dance seems great, but then you know, boobs and butts. You don't even have to zoom in completely to show that Ledo's FINALLY taking an interest. Just have him enthralled, DONE!

Thank you! I completely agree. It seems like some other people just don't get it. We don't need a zoom in of Saya and Amy's butt to understand that Ledo is taking an interest in girls. People are trying to give reasons to defend something that's obviously there to please the male audience. Fanservice like this might be fine for a show in which it is an integral part...but for this show, I don't see it as such.
May 13, 2013 5:11 AM

Jan 2012
yokaii said:
The fanservis is just so out of place in this series...

Sorry but I'd find not having fanservice when http://myanimelist.net/people/3315/Naruko_Hanaharu is one of your main artists quite out of place.
May 13, 2013 5:15 AM

Jan 2010
Ray_Light said:
Beautiful BGM at Amy's dance ❤_❤
Red/Ledo vs Hideauze next ep!
Invasion time I guess

Just realized that everyone in SnG don't have family name..

it very nice BGM for scene 'Love in air' LOl

May 13, 2013 5:27 AM

Oct 2007
Urghh please no more fanservice T__T one episode is more than enough, just get back to the plot!
The episode was still fine and Ledo seems to be adapting to his new life now and smiling more as well:
AoiMizu said:

<< Lovely~!

Looking forward to the fight with the Hideauze.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2013 5:33 AM

Apr 2008
saxophone15 said:
akito989 said:

Thank you! I completely agree. It seems like some other people just don't get it. We don't need a zoom in of Saya and Amy's butt to understand that Ledo is taking an interest in girls. People are trying to give reasons to defend something that's obviously there to please the male audience. Fanservice like this might be fine for a show in which it is an integral part...but for this show, I don't see it as such.

I'm a guy and even I feel put off by the exaggerated emphasis on the fanservice in these past two episodes.
May 13, 2013 5:36 AM

Jun 2012
saxophone15 said:
akito989 said:

The camera shots at the first dance were meant to be erotic with the setting it was taking place I don't understand how it wasn't seen like that otherwise. You don't have to like it but it wasn't ill-placed *Scratches head* I think some people need to take off the cynical glasses when watching anime.

Amy's private dance for Ledo was portrayed more sensually for me juxtaposing nicely with the rawer tone of the first dance
HybridMBLMay 13, 2013 5:49 AM
May 13, 2013 5:39 AM

Jan 2012
Darklight0303 said:
saxophone15 said:
akito989 said:

I'm a guy and even I feel put off by the exaggerated emphasis on the fanservice in these past two episodes.

Yeah but that's because you want this to be the next action blockbuster. I still find it pretty laughable how http://myanimelist.net/people/3315/Naruko_Hanaharu and a renowned eroge writer work together on an anime and people complain about the fanservice. There are plenty of fans who would be disappointed without any.

I don't expect everyone to do research or be knowledgeable about what they watch but at least try not to shove your narrow minded opinions onto a show you don't really know much about.
ReasonDesuMay 13, 2013 5:46 AM
May 13, 2013 5:50 AM

Apr 2008
ReasonDesu said:
Darklight0303 said:
saxophone15 said:
akito989 said:

Yeah but that's because you want this to be the next action blockbuster. I still find it pretty laughable how http://myanimelist.net/people/3315/Naruko_Hanaharu and a renowned eroge writer work together on an anime and people complain about the fanservice. There are plenty of fans who would be disappointed without any.

I don't expect everyone to do research or be knowledgeable about what they watch but at least try not to shove your narrow minded opinions onto a show you don't really know much about.

Here's the kicker. Never heard of the guy. SHOCKING ISN'T IT?
May 13, 2013 5:52 AM

Jan 2012
Darklight0303 said:

Yeah to be fair neither had I until recently. The character designer/artist I linked is a woman, but she is renowned for her H works. The other writer collaborating with Gen I still have no idea what his name is, but he is also renowned for writing eroge so it's hard for me not to expect fanservice now to be honest. I imagine a lot of Japanese fandom are expecting it too.
May 13, 2013 5:55 AM

Dec 2012
2013 and some people are complaining about fanservice? really?
May 13, 2013 5:56 AM

Nov 2010
Revenge of the Squids!
Ledo has caught up on some compression sickness
May 13, 2013 6:02 AM
Nov 2008
Ooh boy, so the Hids are probably from Earth originally. Now we're going somewhere. Told you so, doubters (that things would pick up steam in the second half.)

Overall this show proves that fanservice doesn't have to make you feel like you need a shower after watching.
May 13, 2013 6:02 AM

Jan 2013
Monde11 said:

Not going to lie, one of the best comment I have read so far. Heh
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 13, 2013 6:05 AM

Mar 2012
Can we all at least agree that Ledo doesn't mind all the fan-service?
Let's go bowling.
May 13, 2013 6:10 AM

Apr 2013
The anime is crap, waste of time... Dropped. +_+
Aug 2012
Monde11 said:
2013 and some people are complaining about fan service? really?

People are complaining about excess fan service for 2 episodes straight. As for the rest read akito989's post above. He said it perfectly. Let's hope there aren't any tentacle fan service(?) next episode...........the Hidiaazu being octopus and snail types after all. It really worsens my fear.

Jun 2009
Monde11 said:

Not that it's rare to see those.

But what's really annoying about some of those complaints are that they actually believe the show to be an "action mecha". If they just took 30 seconds out of their life to read the synopsis, then they could've save themselves from seeing things they're not comfortable with.

This is as ridiculous as watching Lion King and complain about how the movie never shows Simba hunt, kill, rip apart and consume a Zebra. There's a lion and it's in safari, obviously there's animal killing each other and stuff right?
May 13, 2013 6:19 AM
Oct 2012
saxophone15 said:
akito989 said:

Here are 2 people who think that all fanservice is bad because it didn't show anything remotely related to it in the beginning of the series, or that the premise didn't state anything about fanservice, or that the poster wasn't showing anything risque, etc. It's also these kinds of people who are sooooo bothered by exposed body parts that more important things go over their heads.

The bar scene dancing? It showed that Ledo wasn't paying attention. The zoom into the boobs and butts was fanservice for the bar audience and the anime watchers alike. Why do you think Ledo asked for a private dance from Amy? Because nothing? Lmao. Also, how would it be a bar if there wasn't any half-naked girls dancing? The dancing creates an erotic atmosphere. Why do you think there's a difference between cafes, fast-food chains, and bars, even though they all offer food and entertainment? It's because they have different atmospheres! Cafes are generally calm and sometimes romantic, fast-food chains create a somewhat kiddy, funny, atmosphere, and bars are all about sizzling eros and hidden sexual tension, classy or not. I don't expect you to understand though, because you know, boobs are bad. -_-

There are many different kinds of fanservice, not only exposed girly bits. There's also Chamber for the mecha fans, Ledo for us girls, etc. The battle in the first episode? It's fanservice for the mecha fans. I don't know why you're not complaining about that.

Suisei no Gargantia is more coherent than many ecchi anime. So it had a couple of episodes with fanservice for the men, big deal. Let's see you boys and girls complain when Free comes out. "OH FREE SUCKS BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE MEN ARE ONLY THERE FOR MANSERVICE. THE WHOLE ANIME IS NOTHING BUT A JERKFEST FOR THE LADIES. LET'S RATE THIS ANIME 1/10." Then it turns out Free just might have a great story rivaling say, Clannad or Junjou Romantica.
May 13, 2013 6:24 AM
Oct 2012
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Monde11 said:

People are complaining about excess fan service for 2 episodes straight. As for the rest read akito989's post above. He said it perfectly. Let's hope there aren't any tentacle fan service(?) next episode...........the Hidiaazu being octopus and snail types after all. It really worsens my fear.

Because they don't understand the context. Episode 5 was a way to introduce the whole cast by having a beach party, and expanding the view on how Gargantia supports itself. Episode 6 was supposed to present Ledo's awakening to Amy's presence romantically and erotically as well as finally learning to make decisions himself by choosing Bellows as a co-worker.

But hey FANSARVICE IS BAD. I didn't see you complain about the Hideauze in the first episode. Tentacles always means hentai according to you, right? Is there an "Anti Fanservice Bible" somewhere? XD
May 13, 2013 6:28 AM

Aug 2007
The dance performance in this episode was terrible. They made such a big deal out of it but in the end, no one was even watching it

Everyone is facing the other way on this screen. The group that gathered at the end of the show made it look like it was a brothel show instead of a festival. It filled me with disgust. I would much more appreciate it if the girls actually went down the street and danced the exact same dance with some other performers to a cheering crowd, but I guess that was too expensive to animate.

Amy's dance for Ledo later in the episode was beautiful and touching. This, however, was horrible and not because of the fanservice, but because of how out of place this "festival" was. IG, I'm disappoint.
May 13, 2013 6:39 AM
Aug 2012
BHancock said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Monde11 said:

Because they don't understand the context. Episode 5 was a way to introduce the whole cast by having a beach party, and expanding the view on how Gargantia supports itself. Episode 6 was supposed to present Ledo's awakening to Amy's presence romantically and erotically as well as finally learning to make decisions himself by choosing Bellows as a co-worker.

But hey FANSARVICE IS BAD. I didn't see you complain about the Hideauze in the first episode. Tentacles always means hentai according to you, right? Is there an "Anti Fanservice Bible" somewhere? XD

Are you seriously an idiot? I like this show even though i am a bit disappointed after the awesome 1st episode. Did you miss "excess fan service" part? Oh wait you didn't even get what those 2 wanted to say so how can you understand something so simple? My bad........i am guy, i don't mind fan service but when it becomes too much it just ruins the mood of the show. Get the point...........we don't really need close up shots like Da Capo III, TLDR or other fan service/harem anime to show that Ledo is interested in girls. Why don't you try to understand something so simple instead of you dumb attempts to bash me???

Oh i am a mecha fanatic.........got a problem with that???

May 13, 2013 6:45 AM

Jan 2012
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
we don't really need close up shots like Da Capo III, TLDR or other fan service/harem anime to show that Ledo is interested in girls. Why don't you try to understand something so simple instead of you dumb attempts to bash me???

Who is this "we" you are talking about. I've posted this far too many times already and I'm going to leave after this because the stupidity is getting infectious.

An eroge writer and H manga artist collaborated on this show, Gen only wrote the first and last episode. It would have taken approximately 5 minutes and google for you to find the breakdown of this show and know too. It would be awesome if people could stop telling this show what it should and shouldn't be.

I'm a huge fan of Gen but I really hate the crowd his name being linked to this has drew in. It would be better if Gen wasn't even linked to this. The first episode was pretty terrible anyway imo.
May 13, 2013 6:54 AM

Sep 2009
BHancock said:
saxophone15 said:
akito989 said:

Here are 2 people who think that all fanservice is bad because it didn't show anything remotely related to it in the beginning of the series, or that the premise didn't state anything about fanservice, or that the poster wasn't showing anything risque, etc. It's also these kinds of people who are sooooo bothered by exposed body parts that more important things go over their heads.

The bar scene dancing? It showed that Ledo wasn't paying attention. The zoom into the boobs and butts was fanservice for the bar audience and the anime watchers alike. Why do you think Ledo asked for a private dance from Amy? Because nothing? Lmao. Also, how would it be a bar if there wasn't any half-naked girls dancing? The dancing creates an erotic atmosphere. Why do you think there's a difference between cafes, fast-food chains, and bars, even though they all offer food and entertainment? It's because they have different atmospheres! Cafes are generally calm and sometimes romantic, fast-food chains create a somewhat kiddy, funny, atmosphere, and bars are all about sizzling eros and hidden sexual tension, classy or not. I don't expect you to understand though, because you know, boobs are bad. -_-

There are many different kinds of fanservice, not only exposed girly bits. There's also Chamber for the mecha fans, Ledo for us girls, etc. The battle in the first episode? It's fanservice for the mecha fans. I don't know why you're not complaining about that.

Suisei no Gargantia is more coherent than many ecchi anime. So it had a couple of episodes with fanservice for the men, big deal. Let's see you boys and girls complain when Free comes out. "OH FREE SUCKS BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE MEN ARE ONLY THERE FOR MANSERVICE. THE WHOLE ANIME IS NOTHING BUT A JERKFEST FOR THE LADIES. LET'S RATE THIS ANIME 1/10." Then it turns out Free just might have a great story rivaling say, Clannad or Junjou Romantica.

I never said all fanservice was bad, but the way it is executed here does not fit. It has nothing to do with how the show started. Even the dancing itself doesn't really seem to fit the characters. Are you expecting everyone to just accept all fanservice in any situation because not doing so must mean we just hate fanservice? I don't think you are understanding why some people are complaining. The point is certain scenes come across as forced. It just so happens that those scenes are fanservice scenes, it could be other things like forced drama or whatever.

Also, your comments on bars is not totally accurate. A lot of people go to bars to get drunk or to drink a little to relax after a day of work. They are not all about "hidden sexual tension".
May 13, 2013 6:55 AM

Apr 2008
ReasonDesu said:
Darklight0303 said:

Yeah to be fair neither had I until recently. The character designer/artist I linked is a woman, but she is renowned for her H works. The other writer collaborating with Gen I still have no idea what his name is, but he is also renowned for writing eroge so it's hard for me not to expect fanservice now to be honest. I imagine a lot of Japanese fandom are expecting it too.

I don't make a habbit of looking up who made the anime when I decide to watch it or not. The only thing I usually look up is the composer of the OST. So you see when I saw the first episode I didn't even know Urobutcher was behind it. I still loved it. I let a series speak for itself and not the reputation of the people who worked on it and the last two episodes (except for the ending of this latest one) were a low point.
May 13, 2013 7:07 AM
Oct 2012
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Are you seriously an idiot? I like this show even though i am a bit disappointed after the awesome 1st episode. Did you miss "excess fan service" part? Oh wait you didn't even get what those 2 wanted to say so how can you understand something so simple? My bad........i am guy, i don't mind fan service but when it becomes too much it just ruins the mood of the show. Get the point...........we don't really need close up shots like Da Capo III, TLDR or other fan service/harem anime to show that Ledo is interested in girls. Why don't you try to understand something so simple instead of you dumb attempts to bash me???

You call me an idiot, and you call me dumb. How cute. :3

My point was, there are many different kinds of fanservice. The term just doesn't mean "GIRLS WITH TITS AND ASS BARELY COVERED BY CLOTHES", it means anything that draws in people with superficial qualities.

Here, you say so yourself, that you're a mecha fanatic. Why won't you admit that you got drawn into this anime by Chamber? That you got excited when the first episode aired? That you peed in your pants in all your mecha fangasm when Chamber fired all those auto-homing lasers? THAT'S FANSERVICE TOO.

What the hell is excess anyway? 2 episodes out of 6 is excess now? My math must be faulty, 2 out of 6 clearly doesn't mean excess, does it? I haven't gone to my 1st grade math class, I must be going senile.

But yes, I was clearly mocking you. [/sarcasm]

I bet the sarcasm will go way over your head though. [/not sarcasm]

saxophone15 said:
I never said all fanservice was bad, but the way it is executed here does not fit. It has nothing to do with how the show started. Even the dancing itself doesn't really seem to fit the characters. Are you expecting everyone to just accept all fanservice in any situation because not doing so must mean we just hate fanservice? I don't think you are understanding why some people are complaining. The point is certain scenes come across as forced. It just so happens that those scenes are fanservice scenes, it could be other things like forced drama or whatever.

Also, your comments on bars is not totally accurate. A lot of people go to bars to get drunk or to drink a little to relax after a day of work. They are not all about "hidden sexual tension".

Bars, shmars, semantics. Point is, the bar scene in this episode was supposed to contain some kind of erotic enjoyment because the location was a little shady and it was a festival. It just so happened that the girls hired for the event were those 3.

What doesn't fit? Good lord, it fit because the bar was a shady place! It might have been a festival for fertilization like Japan's Penis Festival or similar! The atmosphere was supposed to convey tension, eros, etc etc! I'm not saying to accept all half-naked girl situations, I'm saying not to needlessly hate it especially in this episode because there's a reason for it. There was a festival, Amy and her friends danced in skimpy clothes, Ledo was there and didn't pay attention.

It was supposed to contrast with how Ledo really paid attention to the private dance later in the episode! Was that so hard to understand?

Also, what's all this "doesn't really seem to fit the characters" angle you're going for? Last episode those 2 girls were talking about boys and how they think guys like their girls. They obviously know how to attract men and they're using it in the dancing. Even the most prudish girl in existence knows a thing or two about guys nowadays.
Pages (11) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.