Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think animes are getting better and better with every year or worse?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 8, 2013 11:49 AM
Jul 2012
I think threads here are getting better and better
Apr 8, 2013 11:50 AM

Nov 2010
yhunata said:
Anime hasn't gotten better, nor has it gotten worse. There are shit anime produced now and there were shit anime produced in the past. The ratio is roughly around the same, the only difference is we're now being exposed to more anime, thus bringing with it an illusion that there are now more shitty anime than before.

don't think anybody could have said it any better!

+1
Apr 8, 2013 11:52 AM

Apr 2011
Lolack said:
I think threads here are getting better and better

as in from completely pointless to mildly pointless?
Apr 8, 2013 11:56 AM

Mar 2012
2011: We had HxH
2012: We had HxH and Jojo
2013: We had HxH and Jojo and Shingeki no Kyojin

Better.
End Zionazism
Apr 8, 2013 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
Realistically, it's pretty much stayed the same.

Little kids think pretty much everything they watch is amazing, so it creates an illusion in our heads that what we grew up with was better quality. I thought that Cat in the Hat movie with Mike Myers was great when I was little. oДo
removed-userApr 8, 2013 12:06 PM
Apr 8, 2013 12:08 PM
Feb 2012
sanemurzu said:
Getting worse, not enough cute girls.

Wow, I actually agree.
Apr 8, 2013 12:10 PM

Nov 2010
yhunata said:
Anime hasn't gotten better, nor has it gotten worse. There are shit anime produced now and there were shit anime produced in the past. The ratio is roughly around the same, the only difference is we're now being exposed to more anime, thus bringing with it an illusion that there are now more shitty anime than before.
Also old anime is usually seen as the 70s to 2000, and as there was crap and gold, the crap was left behind, forgotten by people like the new bad anime will be later. Thus people are only comparing the best of the old(that at least 30 years worth) with all of the new(the good and the bad and a little over 10 years worth) and saying it's gotten worse.
Actually a lot more of the old bad stuff is left behind because they didn't have a good way of getting anime out there, only the good stuff was released in other countries, thus they were mostly exposed to the good stuff. Where now we get all of the new anime maybe an hour after it airs. And older anime is usually harder to find, I'm guessing most of the worst old anime, you still won't be able to watch.
IntroverTurtleApr 8, 2013 12:17 PM
Apr 8, 2013 12:18 PM

Apr 2011
Jovoo said:
tormented210 said:
Jovoo said:
Although, this year is really really promising. Everything that I've watched that has come out this season has been good. So let's hope that 2013 will make an impact.

Yeah this season has a few excellent promising shows, this ain't happening for a good couple seasons back there so I'm happy with anime in general once again.

Even if SnK didn't come out this season, it still think it would be a good season. Shit's pretty interesting. Let's just hope it ends as it began.

I was also happy already without SnK, but it just sealed the deal for me. And I'm still waiting for a few others that I have high expectations so I can only hope I get satisfied over them.
Apr 8, 2013 12:22 PM

Feb 2013
Of course it's getting better
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote
Apr 8, 2013 12:33 PM

Oct 2012
Variety is declining, originality is declining, anime is dead R.I.P the 90s...

Apr 8, 2013 12:51 PM

Jun 2010
Highly-subjective topic.

I will say this though, 2011 was a great year for anime; it presented us with quality-series like Fate Zero/Steins Gate/Mawaru Penguindrum/Anohana etc

2012 was mediocre for the most part, but Fate Zero (S2)KnB and even PP made it bearable. When you've got people putting a average series like Sword Art Online on the same level as masterpieces like F/Z, you know that there is a problem with these guys lol
TetraSlashApr 8, 2013 1:01 PM
Apr 8, 2013 1:57 PM
Jul 2012
Saying «by every year» aren't the right words at all for that topic lol

anyway nope
Apr 8, 2013 2:04 PM
May 2012
Polychrome said:
They're getting better, the latest seasons have brought us a lot of pearls.

Harutora said:
TOO MUCh MOE STUFF

Complaining about moe with Clannad: After Story on your favorites?

Okay.

Clannad doesn't have forced, overloaded moe. He means anime that are really"just" about moe and nothing else.
WinterSnowflakeApr 8, 2013 2:08 PM
Apr 8, 2013 2:38 PM

Apr 2011
Foxley88 said:
Polychrome said:
They're getting better, the latest seasons have brought us a lot of pearls.

Harutora said:
TOO MUCh MOE STUFF

Complaining about moe with Clannad: After Story on your favorites?

Okay.

Clannad doesn't have forced, overloaded moe. He means anime that are really"just" about moe and nothing else.

Some people here doesn't know the meaning of mindless Moe then they go countering with no point left.
Apr 8, 2013 2:44 PM
Feb 2012
Waiting for Not_Biased to post...
Apr 8, 2013 2:47 PM

Nov 2011
Why don't we try comparing years based on how good the best of the years are?
Apr 8, 2013 2:49 PM

Dec 2010
I think it has been consistently mediocre for the past few years. There are usually one or two shows worthy of watching every season though.

Apr 8, 2013 2:51 PM
Feb 2012
BlackSabotage said:

Because it's all subjective. Say that you're comparing 2009 and 1989 in terms of anime made during that year and you're obviously going to get multiple different opinions on "which year was better."

Hope you're aware not everyone agrees on each others' interests.
Apr 8, 2013 2:52 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
No, nobody has watched all of them.
Apr 8, 2013 2:58 PM

Nov 2011
RisingCascade said:
BlackSabotage said:

Because it's all subjective. Say that you're comparing 2009 and 1989 in terms of anime made during that year and you're obviously going to get multiple different opinions on "which year was better."

Hope you're aware not everyone agrees on each others' interests.
I know that but I was just saying if we continue this thread lets try looking at the best the years have to offer and ignore the bad when judging.
Apr 8, 2013 3:18 PM

Sep 2008
In my opinion it's getting worse. Less unique shows every season and instead more generic ecchi-comedy-romance. Every year has a few top-tier shows which is great and all but I feel I am straying more and more away from anime as a medium as a consequence of the lack of quality.
... or it may very well be like PerfectScore says. 2007-2008 had their fair share of garbage as well.

Apr 8, 2013 3:22 PM
Jul 2012
i dont care about fanservice in anime but the anime has to have a good plot. and also too much "moe" stuff
Apr 8, 2013 3:22 PM

Nov 2011
hnz said:
In my opinion it's getting worse. Less unique shows every season and instead more generic ecchi-comedy-romance. Every year has a few top-tier shows which is great and all but I feel I am straying more and more away from anime as a medium as a consequence of the lack of quality.
... or it may very well be like PerfectScore says. 2007-2008 had their fair share of garbage as well.
Try checking out the classics.
Apr 8, 2013 3:33 PM

Feb 2010
its the same there has not be a large decline although i do feel this 3D graphics is getting old (stop being lazy and adding awkward 3D models in anime -.-).

there are good and bad every year just need to find ones you like if nothing interest you that much check to see if there's an older series for you to pick up.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 8, 2013 6:05 PM
Apr 2010
Worse. I almost exclusively watch classics and other old anime now. Sure maybe every other year or so you get a great current series, but meh.
Apr 8, 2013 6:28 PM

Oct 2012
It will have its high and low points throughout the seasons, simple as that.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 8, 2013 6:48 PM
Apr 2013
PerfectScore said:
I think the ratio of good and bad anime has always been the same for each year. People just tend to remember the good anime from their past and compare to everything they have watched more recently.

That's a bingo!

I've never had a problem finding a few shows to enjoy every year, though the series from "back in the day" that I enjoyed tend to shine juuust a bit brighter to me. Not a knock on the stuff that's been coming out lately. Just nostalgia, y'all.
Apr 8, 2013 7:45 PM

Sep 2012
In every time, in every place, the quality of anime remains the same...

In other words, I have favorites from several years, with no particular preference toward one or the other.
Apr 8, 2013 7:53 PM

Jan 2013
anime is getting better...and will get more awesum :D
just wait for higurashi outbreak...
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 8, 2013 8:19 PM

Dec 2011
It's like 50/50 for me.
Sometimes I side with one side...but suddenly, I switch sides without warning.
It all depends on an individual basis.
Apr 8, 2013 8:24 PM

Jun 2012
I think they're getting better in general. Our standards are growing as well, though!
Apr 8, 2013 8:24 PM

Jan 2008
This season definitely makes up for Winter however, there is usually more bad than there is good. My standards are quite low though so it isn't really a problem for me enjoying crap.
Apr 8, 2013 8:25 PM

Sep 2010
The animation is getting better, but other than that, it isn't any better or any worse in my opinion. Just a little different.
Apr 8, 2013 8:26 PM

Dec 2011
I agree that the animation is getting better. And the overall quality of the story/ plots seems to still be above average at least. So it's like win/win.
Apr 8, 2013 11:14 PM

Jun 2012
livingdeadkat said:
The animation is getting better, but other than that, it isn't any better or any worse in my opinion. Just a little different.

This. And while animation is far from everything, it's still something. So an average, I'd say anime is getting slightly better.
Apr 8, 2013 11:29 PM
May 2012
I think anime is getting better.
Apr 8, 2013 11:31 PM

Jun 2012
It depends, the art is getting better, but the stories - not quite.
Apr 9, 2013 11:52 PM

Mar 2013
Yep the art is getting better and better each year and also the story plots plus the character designs are becoming more MOE seriously :)
Apr 10, 2013 12:45 AM

Feb 2011
I really don't know if is better or not.

I want to know how many memorable shoes started on 1998 and compare with how many memorable shows start on 2011.

I'm sure is similar if you are objective, you obviously can't compare the visual quality but the overal quality yes! I think each time the visuals and sound are better, while keeping good quality shows, maybe in last decade you can find a kind of anime you like more, manly shounen or mechas and now is more echi and moe stuff...

This is genere and fashion but out of that differences, there are pretty good animes in the last years, at least for me. I have spent more than 100 days watching anime, I focused in last years airing anime but I watched old shows too. Really anime is not goind to die, just improve visuals and sounds.
Every season there are 3-4 shows that are good in general, and every year around 8 fantastic anime. I'm sure and I can prove it :)
JalasupiApr 10, 2013 12:58 AM
Apr 10, 2013 12:47 AM

Feb 2010
Its getting better.
Apr 10, 2013 1:01 AM

Mar 2013
I don't think its getting worse or better. Every year you have some good shows, and bad ones. Sure you'll probably find some years with better animes then others, but I don't believe anime is gradually getting better or worse.
Apr 10, 2013 1:44 AM

Feb 2012
I say, too many tryhard anime, while the rest don't even try.
Apr 10, 2013 1:45 AM

Aug 2011
I wouldn't say it's getting worse, but at the same time I can't say it's not, either.

Aesthetically, yes, anime is getting so much better (just look at Paul's signature), and most anime coming out lately look incredible, moe or not.

Plot-wise, we're still stuck with really mediocre plots that we've seen recycled over and over again (excluding classics, because they're classic for a reason).

However, there are gems that come out every season that make up for all the shit that's thrown at us, so you can't truly say anime in general is becoming worse. If all you're watching or care to watch are anime you know you won't like or genres that don't appeal to you, yeah, anime is gonna continue getting worse; you have to make an effort to find shows you'll like, or else all you'll end up doing is wasting your time.

Apr 10, 2013 1:55 AM

Oct 2012
It did get worse, but the oldies had some shit stuff as well.

This season got on the right track though with good anime (there are some shit ones according to one's tastes as well)
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Apr 10, 2013 2:03 AM

May 2012
Um, you can't generalize all of them like that.

There are some screwed up old anime and new anime too.

I would say its balance, not getting any better nor worse. Old or new , both of them have their good and bad.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 10, 2013 2:04 AM

Mar 2012
Well...I think anime has hit a new low so I can't fathom it getting worse (just watch the anime industry prove me wrong now).
Apr 10, 2013 11:05 AM
Feb 2012
Tommk said:
Um, you can't generalize all of them like that.

There are some screwed up old anime and new anime too.

I would say its balance, not getting any better nor worse. Old or new , both of them have their good and bad.
Apr 10, 2013 11:15 AM

Mar 2013
If we talk about animation, art, graphics it surely gets better.
If we talk about plot i think the authors are going out of ideas, but still they keep well and let us entertain.
"I believe in panties" ~ Shiina Mashiro
Apr 10, 2013 11:20 AM

Jan 2012
Shinnigami said:
If we talk about plot i think the authors are going out of ideas, but still they keep well and let us entertain.

I'm going to have to disagree. I think both plotwise and animation are getting better each year. It's just that some people are more cynical than others.
Apr 10, 2013 2:32 PM

Jan 2013
Ahri said:
Shinnigami said:

I'm going to have to disagree. I think both plotwise and animation are getting better each year. It's just that some people are more cynical than others.

Well, if we say that every plot at least copied one thing from the previous ones, I don't think it's getting better or worse.

TVTropes really helps with this.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

121 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

77 by CheesyJen »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Drinking Games

EverRealm - Yesterday

14 by alexw1020 »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

282 by StyxParadise »»
13 minutes ago

» What is the most memorable first episode of an anime you've watched?

mahrjose - 8 hours ago

21 by Archean-Return »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.