Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (32) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2013 5:48 PM
Nov 2011
Kawyi said:
the animation is really unbelievable for a TV show.

hng production values

Production values are high cause this series is already mega-popular in Japan. Of the top 20 bestselling manga in 2012, only about 3 didn't have animes. This is one of them.

Let's just say that the existing manga fans will probably keep the anime staff in line.
Apr 10, 2013 5:56 PM
Apr 2012
pming said:
Kawyi said:

hng production values

Production values are high cause this series is already mega-popular in Japan. Of the top 20 bestselling manga in 2012, only about 3 didn't have animes. This is one of them.

Let's just say that the existing manga fans will probably keep the anime staff in line.

For the sake of reference what are the other two?
Apr 10, 2013 5:59 PM
Nov 2011
fdsfgs said:
pming said:
Kawyi said:

hng production values

Silver Spoon (by FMA's author) and the one about a Ancient Roman bath architect in Japan.

I just include the bath series cause I'm not sure when its anime aired.
Apr 10, 2013 6:11 PM

Feb 2012
twonline said:
Solid first episode..... Seems like this anime has much potential... First episode's execution was pretty satisfactory (gotta admit there were some cheesy situations)... Looking forward for more episodes.... Only thing I didn't like was the animation quality... Art itself is okay but animation seemed stiff and static.....

4/5

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Any given screenshot looks beautiful, but the artwork itself is not animated well.
Apr 10, 2013 7:21 PM

Apr 2009
The animation is fine during the action scenes, where it is needed. I'll be perfectly content if they decide to cut corners during less manic scenes in order to save the budget for said action parts.
Apr 10, 2013 7:27 PM

Nov 2011
Amarrez said:
The animation is fine during the action scenes, where it is needed. I'll be perfectly content if they decide to cut corners during less manic scenes in order to save the budget for said action parts.

I gotta say I thought they cut corners pretty cleverly in this episode to the point where it really didn't bother me. A couple of scenes had just enough animation to make them look lively even though they were largely static. Plus the backgrounds are so beautiful I'm too busy looking at them to notice that no one is moving haha.
Apr 10, 2013 7:28 PM
Nov 2011
Kek, if you've read the manga - it is difficult to criticize the anime's artwork and animation quality.

I do think there were a couple of scenes which were made over-dramatic, but still (way) better drawn than in the manga.

People who saw the anime first and picked up the manga second will probably feel disappointed by the artwork.
Apr 10, 2013 9:54 PM

Nov 2011
They're cutting corners in the animation for all the steam powered Spiderman action coming up.
The Art of Eight
Apr 10, 2013 10:06 PM

Mar 2012
I've never been one to get overly worked up over heart wrenching gory anime... (Like claymore).... but when Eren's mother got eaten, I actually cryed...
Apr 10, 2013 10:56 PM

Mar 2013
pming said:
fdsfgs said:
pming said:
Kawyi said:

hng production values

Silver Spoon (by FMA's author) and the one about a Ancient Roman bath architect in Japan.

I just include the bath series cause I'm not sure when its anime aired.

The one about the ancient roman bath architect got an anime, albeit a short one.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Apr 10, 2013 11:16 PM
Aug 2010
Actually, Mikasa is pretty cute, the character design of the anime is pretty good for a non-"female character marketing" series.
LunaApr 11, 2013 3:11 AM
Apr 11, 2013 1:13 AM

May 2010
All I can say is WOW! This opening episode was just freaking amazing!!!!!!!

Possible Anime of the year contender here. OMG that was just awesome.

Apr 11, 2013 1:25 AM
Mar 2013
let me put it this way. I watch it with my Cuz and hes a fanboy of SAO and loves it. when the ep ended i told him this ep was better then the whole series of SAO and he agreed.
fetuseaterApr 11, 2013 1:34 AM
Apr 11, 2013 1:53 AM

Sep 2012
I enjoyed the part when the mom got owned and lol at the pussy blond dude. but the drama is kinda meh and this main character is really annoying at least for me. but it's decent nonetheless.
tuturu~!! (≧◡≦)
Apr 11, 2013 3:14 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I removed a lot of posts on the last pages because they violated the rules.

Please note that this is an episode discussion thread. Other people want to discuss this episode and don't want to read through tons of irrelevant posts or get spoiled.

What should not be in this thread is for example:

- reaction images (= spam)
- chatting (= spam, please use your profiles for this)
- comparing this series to other series (= spam because it derails the thread from its original topic, please use a separate thread for this)
- talking about other series (= spam because it derails the thread from its original topic)
- "so many posts already" posts (= spam because it has no relevance to the topic)
- discussing the manga beyond this episode (see the rule in the first post, this also includes talking about how you read this or that because it's again not relevant to the topic)

For more information regarding spam, please see the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2013 3:16 AM
Mar 2013
Ponpokopii said:
I enjoyed the part when the mom got owned and lol at the pussy blond dude. but the drama is kinda meh and this main character is really annoying at least for me. but it's decent nonetheless.

Pussy blond dude? I'm PRETTY sure over 90% of people run away when they see something like that up close for the first time.
Apr 11, 2013 4:00 AM
Dec 2012
Farvahar said:
Ponpokopii said:

Pussy blond dude? I'm PRETTY sure over 90% of people run away when they see something like that up close for the first time.
When you need heroes, find them on internet.
Apr 11, 2013 4:23 AM

Jan 2012
that was so amazing and it creeped me out especially since I'm alone in a dark room ;____;
Apr 11, 2013 4:32 AM

Jan 2013
Bobjones said:
Actually, Mikasa is pretty cute, the character design of the anime is pretty good for a non-"female character marketing" series.

she wasn't that cute in the manga
Apr 11, 2013 4:37 AM

Apr 2013
After only 1 episode...this anime is in the top 30?...MAL, why you troll so hard?
Apr 11, 2013 5:38 AM

Nov 2012
Holly shit man!
My eyes were sparkling after this first episode, and that doesn't happens often...
Art should be left alone by those unenlightened, raw and uncensored as it is, because enough refinement was already done by it's creator, in it's creation.
Apr 11, 2013 5:45 AM

Jun 2009
Stark700 said:

Holy shit.

I took a screen shot of the same image as well, goddammit, the giant really looked like he enjoyed himself. At first I thought poor giants, they are isolated just 'cause they big and threatening, but the truly isolated ones were the normal humans who were to afraid to go outside the wall, confined in "the cage". This is one of the best first episodes I've ever seen it's so powerful and vivid, loved it ^^
Apr 11, 2013 7:16 AM

Dec 2009
Damn, scary shit at the end. It gave me nightmares. Really. orz
Apr 11, 2013 7:29 AM

Apr 2013
Smack in the face with awesomeness, loved it. Looking forward next ep.
Apr 11, 2013 7:59 AM

Oct 2010
Liinah said:
Damn, scary shit at the end. It gave me nightmares. Really. orz

How ironic.. *gots a weird looking render in her forum set*
Apr 11, 2013 9:01 AM

Jul 2010
I had a weird dream last night that this anime went downhill by using Aku no Hana designs...... After re-watching this episode all those crazy images in my head are long gone lol.
Apr 11, 2013 9:07 AM

Dec 2012
Sayan12 said:
I had a weird dream last night that this anime went downhill by using Aku no Hana designs...... After re-watching this episode all those crazy images in my head are long gone lol.

Lol, that's funny :))
Apr 11, 2013 9:25 AM

Aug 2012
Ranked: #30

just for episode o_0 maybe this is really amazing :D
Apr 11, 2013 9:37 AM

Dec 2012
^ actually, it ranked 23th before so this is a step down. Still, amazing indeed ;)
Apr 11, 2013 9:59 AM

Apr 2013
Well I haven't read the manga, so I don't know how the story will develop, but just from the first episode I fell there will be huge development... As for characters Eren is quite hot-blooded, well he's the way I don't really like it.. But Mikasa seems like she has potential to become my favorite character.. Anyways animations and art seems great.. I don't really know is there anything I can tell more..

Overall it was great for first episode!

Apr 11, 2013 10:56 AM

Dec 2008
Now that was a fucking outstanding musical score. The setting and animation are nothing less than excellent. Instant 8/10 in my books, with potential to become higher.
Apr 11, 2013 12:44 PM
Apr 2010
I've finally found a show to watch.
Apr 11, 2013 2:18 PM

Dec 2012
Saw it today, thought it was interesting, will continue to watch it. I have to agree the music and the animation was very good though in my opinion the start was a bit slow and i think people are getting a bit overhyped and giving it really high ratings only after the first episode hope it does not become the next sao.
Apr 11, 2013 2:47 PM

Jun 2011
Awwww shiet... It was amazing. Hope this anime won't turn out a wasted potential. Music was gorgeous, animation - simply beautiful. Loved seiyuus (thought all I heard was Alibaba, oh well... xd) and an idea with Titans sounds kinda cool. Like it. Really. Can't wait to see more.
Production I.G ftw.

(Man, why do these guys couldn't do Magi? Why A-1? Geez D:)
Apr 11, 2013 3:14 PM

Jan 2009
Lol, why are you complaining about Eren so much .___. ) And Kaji Yuki's voice suits him, I'm suprised that you doesn't like it ._. )
Apr 11, 2013 6:26 PM

Feb 2010
AMAZING! The animation, the pacing, THE SOUNDTRACK, the emotions.... ;-;

Hannes' FACE when he saw the titan.... FUCK.

This is going to be incredible.
Apr 11, 2013 6:59 PM

May 2009
Hum...I like the idea of the giants to some extent, but all the rest didn't interest me.
And Hiroyuki Sawano did it again. By this, I mean that he made the same soundtrack he has been composing for years now. Maybe he has become friends with Kajiura?
Apr 11, 2013 7:39 PM

Apr 2009
The animation sure is nice. I was admiring the sky and clouds when the attack started.
That blonde kid reminds me so much of Ivan from Golden Sun. Not just his appearance but his personality so far too. I burst into laughter when the bullies turned tail and ran after seeing Mikasa.

That giant's face that Hannes was going to fight but changed his mind was really creepy. Before I watched this episode, I didn't think the giants would be really menacing. Just bigger, dumber, meaner (and apparently naked) versions of humans. That one grinning face definitely made me think that there's more difference to them than oversized cavemen though.

Apr 11, 2013 8:04 PM
Nov 2011
When I first read the manga, I thought the Titans looked ridiculous. Then, they started eating people (while still smiling) and I dunno why exactly - they just became horrifying-creepy to me.

I actually find them more scary than zombies, cause zombies are like animals in the way they eat people. Animals eat because they're hungry.

The Titans though eat people similar to how people eat dessert. Not cause they look hungry or starving, but because they look like they just like to eat people.
Apr 11, 2013 9:25 PM
May 2012
Quite scary but amazing first episode, definitely a good story. Gonna keep watching this.
Apr 12, 2013 12:34 AM

Oct 2010
Sooooo glad it's finally here and it's as good as it is. Can't wait for the next ep.
Apr 12, 2013 12:37 AM

Aug 2012
Wow. In just one episode, I can already see that this will be a great series.
Apr 12, 2013 11:27 AM

Nov 2010
I was looking for a dark, gritty anime to watch this season, and this one pretty much satisfied me. It reminds me of that dark, medieval setting from Berserk. The opening theme is also awesome. I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

9/10 for this episode.
Apr 12, 2013 1:13 PM

Sep 2011
It's pretty good.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Apr 12, 2013 1:40 PM
Sep 2012
MY EMOTIONS IN THE END. It was really great! I even started the manga.
Apr 12, 2013 5:12 PM

Sep 2008
Seizou said:
I was looking for a dark, gritty anime to watch this season, and this one pretty much satisfied me. It reminds me of that dark, medieval setting from Berserk. The opening theme is also awesome. I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

9/10 for this episode.

While all the sh!t was going down at the end of the episode I thought to myself: "Where's Guts when you need him? These guys could really use him right now."
Seriously though, he killed things bigger than those titans :D
Apr 12, 2013 5:16 PM

Aug 2009
nina4life said:
Seizou said:

9/10 for this episode.

While all the sh!t was going down at the end of the episode I thought to myself: "Where's Guts when you need him? These guys could really use him right now."

pretty sure Guts cant jump 5+meters high.Among other things...
Apr 12, 2013 5:25 PM

Jul 2011
nina4life said:
Seizou said:

9/10 for this episode.

Those titans aren't the major problem
Apr 12, 2013 5:32 PM
May 2012
Amazing, this is gonna be epic

Apr 12, 2013 6:10 PM

Jan 2010
I'm not sure if I've ever been this impressed with a first episode before. It's certainly the first one to give me shivers so early in a series, and I'm not one to have this kind of reaction easily throughout an entire anime(or any other medium for that matter), let alone in episode 1. Araki is doing a great job here, his style fits the anime very well.

I just hope he doesn't overdo it in scenes that could use a less overblown style. Like the already mentioned scene where the soldier snaps SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS CRYING WHILE THE SCREEN SHAKES AND THE ACTION LINES EMPHASIZES WHAT A TRAGIC FAILURE HE IS AND THE CROWD IS SHOCKED AND SPEACHLESS AND BIG WIDE OPEN EYES!! I mean, save the overdramatization for scenes that really need it, when it's misplaced like that it looks kind of cheesy. Another small nitpick would be the scene where the blond boy is in the middle of the city telling the audience how screwed they are. You see, this is the kind of stuff you don't really need a character telling us, specially since the anime already did a damn fine job of portraying the panic and hopelessness of the invasion. I just imagine him standing in the middle of the street being all dramatic about the giants and the city while everyone else is just running the fuck away and not giving a damn. Lol just get out of there kid.

Small nitpicks aside, this is as powerful as an opening episode can get. The opening scene with the ominous silence already told me I was in for a ride. The last scene with the mother being eaten sent shivers down my spine. I've been waiting for an anime like this to show up in these newer seasons. I'm gonna trust the manga fans about it getting even better, but I hope I can also trust the development team to keep up this level of cinematography and faithfullness to the source material. I don't care if they give us an open-ended ending like Berserk's anime(well, considering they actually make a 2nd season later, of course), but please don't do a shitty original ending. Please.
YunoleffApr 12, 2013 7:54 PM
Pages (32) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.