Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Mar 18 - 25

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 26, 2013 7:15 AM

Apr 2010
symbv said:
RyanSaotome said:
symbv said:
RyanSaotome said:
Symbv, for future weeks could you add the season totals to the post or next post? That was one of the things that separated MALs sales charts from other sites.
Season totals? Not sure what you mean.. Or you mean preliminary vol.1 sales ranking?
The Temporal Blu-ray + DVD Sales Rankings. It made it really easy to see who the sellers of the season were without having to count up all the specific releases and check different sites just to find out all the numbers.
That's the same thing: Temporal BD+DVD Sales Ranking == Preliminary vol.1 Sales Ranking.

One reason I hesitated to put it for this week is the glaring omission of Tamako and MaoYuu. This indeed makes any Temporal Ranking misleading as we know full well that Tamako has not sold just 600 or so discs the past week. I am thinking of putting it only after the full list is out -- particularly in a week where there are tons of titles released. What do you think?

Yeah, I thought that you might not have added it because of a lack of titles so far, but I just wanted to bring it up in case since you wanted to have some feedback. Glad to know you are planning on keeping it.

Mar 26, 2013 7:16 AM

Sep 2012
^ If it is not a very busy week like this week I think I can put up the Temporal Ranking earlier (but of course only when there are data to update when we see more sales for vol.1 of some titles)

Kaioshin_Sama said:
4 completely different anime produced by Sunrise in the top 20. They really seem to know how to get their stuff off the shelves regardless of genre lately.
Don't forget to look at the production company as well if you want to talk about pushing sales as it is the production company which is responsible for the marketing ranging from magazine ads, huge outdoor posters, to fan events and collaboration campaign with retailers or convenience stores etc. (so it is less confusing to say 4 anime made by Sunrise, instead of "produced")

And here Bandai really shines: Gundam UC, GalPan, Love Live, Horizon all are produced by Bandai and these titles are ruling the chart.
symbvMar 26, 2013 8:43 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 26, 2013 7:31 AM

Jan 2010
IN LOVE LIVE WE TRUST
Ok™
Mar 26, 2013 7:34 AM

Mar 2011
unicorn selling great.
wanted to see maoyuu, but i guess not this week.

Mar 26, 2013 8:06 AM

May 2011
So nice to see Love Live selling this well. ^^
Mar 26, 2013 8:23 AM

Feb 2012
I'm glad Love Live sold well but that was a given.

Real bummed about Tamako. I was hoping it'd be a storefront title and surprise everyone just like Chuunibyou did when it sold way more than estimates predicted. Ah well :(
Mar 26, 2013 8:24 AM

Jan 2011
VioLinkMar 26, 2013 8:27 AM
[center]
Mar 26, 2013 8:49 AM

Dec 2012
Blu-ray
*1, 81,782 81,782 MS Gundam UC vol.6 - limited edition
*4, 21,848 21,848 MS Gundam UC vol.6 - regular edition
*6, 18,429 18,429 Love Live! School Idol Project vol.1
*7, 17,145 17,145 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II vol.7

DVD
*1, 44,035 *,*44,035 MS Gundam UC vol.6

CD Single
69, *1,014 20,084 Love Live! School Idol Project insert song "Susume -> Tomorrow / Start:Dash!!"

Somewhere at Surise corporate headquarter, I can still hear a collective kampaii of all the artists, composers, directors, and business leaders,... talking about a completely successful week. From their flagship Gundam to smaller vessels such as Love Live! and Horizon, all their releases are looking to pass the 20K mark.

Sunrise always strikes me as the most savvy studio in the biz. Their shows recently all occupy Oricon charts, across many different genres and demographics. This result is not only due to their anime's quality, but the right marketing, investment, and collaboration strategies as well.

Personally, I'm delight that Love Live! does so well, over 1K better than my prediction of 17K, but that's a price I have to pay for being conservative xD

btw,
*2, 53,429 53,429 Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 2nd As - deluxe limited edition
*3, 23,528 23,528 Girls und Panzer vol.3

Congratz to Nanoha and GrilPan. I will need to finish GirlPan S1 soon

Next week, Gintama Enchousen is looking to chart high as well.
ThangLongMar 26, 2013 8:52 AM
Mar 26, 2013 8:56 AM

Sep 2012
^ Don't forget Sunrise is a subsidiary of Bandai Namco and all these anime have Bandai Visual as the primary producer - and marketing, investment, and collaboration strategies are mainly the role of the producer. And Bandai Visual also produces GirlPan. So the kampai must also be taking place in Bandai too...
symbvMar 26, 2013 9:15 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 26, 2013 9:00 AM

Dec 2012
^ Glad to see people actually make money in this business. I know some have contempt toward big corporation, but Bandai is not Electronic Arts, Sunrise is not Bioware, and anime is not video games. Now, if only they can pay all those hard-working artists a living wage as well.
Mar 26, 2013 9:08 AM

Dec 2007
Does Love Live include an event ticket or any other similar incentive? I don't really see the later volumes dominating the charts like I usually do for a consistent seller. Then again, it's probably too early to tell if there will be a bigger drop than normal.

EDIT: Ah, I see that it's a discounted vol 1. Will be interesting to see if there's a big drop then.
Mar 26, 2013 9:12 AM

Sep 2007
Wow Love Live!! I'm so happy :D I bought the BD1 too, can't wait for it to arrive at my place *-*
Sunrise why so genious haha
S2 and more CDs please~
Mar 26, 2013 9:16 AM

Apr 2010
Meddigo said:
Does Love Live include an event ticket or any other similar incentive? I don't really see the later volumes dominating the charts like I usually do for a consistent seller. Then again, it's probably too early to tell if there will be a bigger drop than normal.

EDIT: Ah, I see that it's a discounted vol 1. Will be interesting to see if there's a big drop then.

Vol. 1 never really dominated the charts either. Stalker had it projected at 10.6k, and here we are at 18k. 2nd volume is projected at 9.4k and 3rd volume is at 9.1k, so I doubt there will be a huge drop off.

Mar 26, 2013 9:20 AM

Aug 2011
lol Tamako Market.

lol.
Mar 26, 2013 9:23 AM

Sep 2012
Meddigo said:

Vol.1 does not event ticket and it is cheaper because it only has one episode instead of the usual two. But the various volumes of Love Live (at least the first 4 or 5) are indeed consistent presence in the top 100 in Amazon sales ranking.

If we compare the Amazon Stalker projection the various volumes do not differ really very much from each other:

v1 10601
v2 *9418
v3 *9141
v4 10005
v5 11586
v6 14147
v7 15575

Mar 26, 2013 9:31 AM

Sep 2012
^ Precisely, the stalker gets more accurate as it gets close to the release date. Anyway, still a useful way to observe overall performance of a series. And the picture is even clearer if we look only at the titles that are closer to their release date (v2-4 say).

Mar 26, 2013 9:33 AM

Feb 2010
I don't know, Tamako Market is one of the more enjoyable KyoAni titles for me, I'm kinda sad to see it flop like that. I just hope that doesn't mean we'll get more forced drama again from them in the future? I really like KyoAni more when they are doing lighthearted stuff.

Hakkenden selling less than 1k (or how are the chances it sold decent amounts of Blurays?) is also kidna disappointing. Not that it was super good, but definitely the best otome show in a while.

Good to see GirlPan still going strong as I don't particularly care about the two blurays that ranked higher.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 26, 2013 9:50 AM

Jul 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I don't know, Tamako Market is one of the more enjoyable KyoAni titles for me, I'm kinda sad to see it flop like that. I just hope that doesn't mean we'll get more forced drama again from them in the future? I really like KyoAni more when they are doing lighthearted stuff.

I think they just need to stay away from original anime. Tamako Market and Munto both sold terribly.
Mar 26, 2013 9:55 AM

Oct 2007
@Higashi_no_Kaze, what are you talking about? KyoAni's best selling show, K-ON! had even less drama than Tamako Market. Hyouka had just small amounts.
Mar 26, 2013 9:57 AM

Sep 2009
And Sunrise studio 8 get their proft once more.

Really glad for Nanoha movi 2nd.

Just hope that Maoyuu and Unlimited w3ould have decent sales than full list comes out cause threshold is high this time.

And I really hope that KyoAni compare Chuu2Koi and Tamako sales and would make right decisions about doing smth more serious next instead of pure moe.
Mar 26, 2013 9:57 AM

Oct 2011
symbv said:
^ Don't forget Sunrise is a subsidiary of Bandai Namco and all these anime have Bandai Visual as the primary producer - and marketing, investment, and collaboration strategies are mainly the role of the producer. So the kampai must also be taking place in Bandai too...

Bandai Namco must be in state of permanent celebration then - making 500M$ on Gundam franchise this year (prediction was 600M$ but I don't know if they reached it).

And of course income from series that Toei is doing - One Piece, Precure and DragonBall.
Their financial reports look very good.

**,715 *,***,715 Ai Mai Mii vol.1 - nice to see that there are other people who want to erase their brains :) and speaking of it, is there some kind of estimate on how Minami-ke or gdgd Fairies will do?
Mar 26, 2013 10:04 AM
Sep 2012
Nachtwandler_21 said:

8 can go die in a fire. 5 all the way.
Mar 26, 2013 10:09 AM

Dec 2012
I have questions regarding Stalker prediction. Since it only takes into account the Amazon sales, there is a significant store-front effect (anime sold at general stores or other online venues besides Amazon) as many has been saying. However, have we ever gotten actual data on Amazon sales? Since we can use the real numbers with reliable sample sizes to figure out the relative reliability of Stalker model using Statistical methods.

Using Love Live! vol1 as an example:
Stalker prediction: 10601
Actual Sale: 18,429

Situation 1:
Amazon Sales: 11000
--> Stalker underestimate: 399
--> Store-front effect: 7429
Stalker only estimated 3.6% below actual sales so the model is very reliable.

Situation 2:
Amazon Sales 13000
--> Stalker underestimate: 2399
--> Store-front effect: 5429
Stalker estimated 18.45% below actual sales and that is dangerously unreliable.

One more neat trick is that if we have actual data across all anime volumes, and across different anime over time, we can figure out in numerical terms (with 95% probability I may add) on how many Blu-ray copies a particular anime will sale on overall, or a particular volume will sale on first week.

Example: Love Live! vol1: 10601 +/- 8000 with 95% confidence
Mar 26, 2013 10:17 AM

Sep 2009
bippo said:
Nachtwandler_21 said:

8 can go die in a fire. 5 all the way.

Die yourself

@jmal

Calling lucky star "pure moe" is not a wise thing. Lucky star is a parody anime first of all which has a lot of references on different aspects of otaku life and not only. It's popular not only becqause of cute girls like K-On.
Mar 26, 2013 10:20 AM

Oct 2007
Nachtwandler_21 said:
And I really hope that KyoAni compare Chuu2Koi and Tamako sales and would make right decisions about doing smth more serious next instead of pure moe.
I wish you had any idea what you were talking about. Tamako has much less so called "moe" than Chuunibyou. You also seem to be under absolutely ridiculous impression than "serious" shows are somehow of higher quality than others.
Mar 26, 2013 10:25 AM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
However, have we ever gotten actual data on Amazon sales?
One thing that Amazon Stalker finds it difficult to model on is the storefront skew and one thing that the Stalker would dearly want but cannot get is the Amazon sales data. I am actually quite impressed by whoever developed the Stalker model to use just the changes of position on Sales ranking in Amazon on one side and the actual Oricon sales data (past and present) on the other hand (and a few minor factors like Nico reservations for tweaking purpose) to provide a running estimate of how the sales will go on the whole (not just Amazon) which turns out to have quite meaningful accuracy level. But clearly there are still some critical data that would help improve its accuracy but are are not available, and one of them is the actual Amazon sales.

Dalek-baka said:
speaking of it, is there some kind of estimate on how Minami-ke or gdgd Fairies will do?
For Minami-ke, Amazon Stalker is putting Minamike at 3.2k (BD) and I agree with jmal that Stalker may be quite close to the actual sales. As for gdgd Fairies the projection is at 1.2k, quite some way down from the 1st season's sale.

symbvMar 26, 2013 10:46 AM

Mar 26, 2013 10:29 AM

Dec 2007
Nachtwandler_21 said:

That's odd, because nearly everywhere I see that Tamako Market had a sort of old-fashioned family atmosphere. Its problem if anything was that it wasn't 'moe' enough. It spent time to deal with an entire shopping district for instance. It didn't stick to only the school and close family like in Chu2koi.

I'd say that Tamako Market flopped for the same reason that Munto/Nichijou did. There wasn't enough of a pull on otaku for them to buy it. There wasn't enough moe. It tried to step outside that range and as with Munto/Nichijou it will have some of the worst sales for a KyoAni show.
Mar 26, 2013 10:43 AM

Sep 2012
Meddigo said:
I'd say that Tamako Market flopped for the same reason that Nichijou did. There wasn't enough of a pull on otaku for them to buy it. There wasn't enough moe. It tried to step outside that range and as with Munto/Nichijou it will have some of the worst sales for a KyoAni show.
There are several reasons for Tamako's flopping from what I gathered in Japanese forums, which I also talked about earlier in News Board. What you said is pretty good observation. Tamako definitely is perceived by fans as pulling less on the "moe" intensity and frequency than Chu2byo. It has a lot more adult characters and they take up quite a bit of show time too, and things have less of the eccentric charm that appeals/panders to otaku. People do not find the bird particularly cute either. As I said earlier, and as you said here too, Tamako is KyoAni's experimenting with applying its art and style onto a mainstream (meaning people who don't usually see anime) neighborhood/family comedy show with a bit of fantasy element. Many anime watchers who are used to the anything-goes wildness in midnight anime simply find it too "plain". On top of that there is the perpetual puzzlement of the lack of focus and direction, and uncertainly about what the main theme the show is about. This further drags down the interest for the watchers. The introduction of exotic people from some foreign land only adds to the bewilderment - as much as people are happy to see the "moe" introduced by characters like Choi it is not quite enough to remedy other issues people see in the show.

On the other hand, I think the "moe" level in Nichijou is very high but you are right in saying that it also did not generate enough of a pull on otaku for them to buy it, but the reason for Nichijou is not that there was not enough moe. In fact I would say that Nichijou provides a good example of a high-moe content anime could still flop if the story (yes, story) does not appeal.
symbvMar 26, 2013 10:50 AM

Mar 26, 2013 11:12 AM

Dec 2012
jmal said:
ThangLong said:
However, have we ever gotten actual data on Amazon sales?

Nope. Only rankings.

OK, so that confirmed my problem with Stalker, there is no way for us to verify their method.

symbv said:
One thing that Amazon Stalker finds it difficult to model on is the Amazon sales data are not available

Unless Stalker stated it on their website, I would doubt that Amazon is not providing Stalker actual sales number under a non-disclosure agreement. There is clearly a benefit for Amazon if someone can actually predict the sale (it helps with stocking issues but most importantly, contract negotiation)

I would not be surprise if whoever behind Stalker is hired by Amazon to do this kind of marketing research. That said, I can understand Stalker's unwillingness to provide the actual sales to us. It is Amazon's internal business number, and the accuracy of their method would be questioned if the prediction is grossly wrong

However, it what Symbv stated is true, and Stalker is truly a fan-generated website then:

jmal said:
In general it tries to estimate the actual Oricon first week sales, not just the Amazon sales. That is the goal, and it is built on the fundamental assumption that as a gigantic retailer, Amazon will be representative of sales at other retailers.

and

symbv said:
I am actually quite impressed by whoever develops the Stalker model to use just the changes of position on Sales ranking in Amazon on one side and the actual Oricon sales data (past and present) on the other hand (and a few minor factors like Nico reservations for tweaking purpose) to provide a running estimate of how the sales will go on the whole (not just Amazon) which turns out to have quite meaningful accuracy

I see a problem for their goal of trying to predict the overall number (Oricon) by predicting a reasonably large, but unreliable representative retailer (Amazon) using not statistically equivalent method (comparing Amazon ranking with actual sales number is not statistically equivalent because they are apples and oranges. You have to compare number to number, or rankings to rankings)

So there are two huge pitfalls for Stalker. I can see why it has led them to grossly underestimated series like Love Live! (almost a 100% underestimation). The store-front effect can explain the first, but not second pitfall.

After saying all that, I still believe Stalker is a pretty reliable tool if you only want to compare the relative rankings for your series to your friend's. It can give you bragging right if your series is predicted to rank higher in sales. But as far as the actual number go, I will use it with reservations.

I'm thinking it's a good idea for symbv to continue posting Stalker ranking for upcoming sales, but maybe with accompanying numbers as well xD, if you don't mind. A lot of people might like to see how Stalker performs vs. actual Oricon sales.
ThangLongMar 26, 2013 11:17 AM
Mar 26, 2013 11:28 AM

Oct 2011
Meddigo said:
I'd say that Tamako Market flopped for the same reason that Munto/Nichijou did. There wasn't enough of a pull on otaku for them to buy it. There wasn't enough moe. It tried to step outside that range and as with Munto/Nichijou it will have some of the worst sales for a KyoAni show.

Or maybe it wasn't "typical" KyoAni show - more serious, less focused on girls doing cute things and more about place they are living in.
On the other side it didn't had things that might bring people who dislike series like K-On!, little of calming mood or complex characters (they are nice and likable but still somehow bland). Not much working in terms of comedy and in top of it there was that bird :P

One show that from the start felt similar to Tamako, is for me Tamayura. Both tried to show cute girls while also focusing on world around them, adding some comedy and there were weird creatures in both. What was different was that Tamayura is really simple calming story, while Tamako tried to go into too many directions.
But I hope KyoAni will still try to make experiments, they have technical skills now it's a matter of good material and executing it.
Mar 26, 2013 11:30 AM

Feb 2010
Progeusz said:
@Higashi_no_Kaze, what are you talking about? KyoAni's best selling show, K-ON! had even less drama than Tamako Market. Hyouka had just small amounts.

Well, Hyouka had this 'less vibrant' atmosphere that made the show feel more tense and serious than it should have been, plus whenever there was any drama they made such a big deal out of it. Not that I didn't enjoy some of the aspects of the show, but it's certainly not lighthearted in the sense that Tamako Market is.
As for K-On I haven't watched that yet, but I probably should. I was more referring to Clannad, Kanon, Air and the likes. Even Chuunibyou had drama at the end (even though I enjoyed the drama in Chunnibyou a lot).
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 26, 2013 11:45 AM

Jul 2012
Seeing Tamako Market's low sales give me a sense of happiness in a way. I really, really dislike that show and everything that it's trying to do. It feels like just an easy ride off of the K-On success. That's just my opinion though.

Yay for the Smile Precure and Nanoha A's movie~
Mar 26, 2013 11:47 AM

Sep 2012
^ Do you think you may have let K-On color you too much about how you see the Tamako show? For me I really see it as a deliberate attempt by the K-On staff to walk out, not wholeheartedly maybe but still with determination, of the K-On shadow they created. Some character design has K-On vibe but that's about it. We have many adults with good air time; K-On has almost none. We have romance and boys; K-On has none. We have neighborhood and community as one key theme, not in K-On which is mostly about school life and the K-On club. K-On has pop band music; here we have oldies. Not saying Tamako is not to be criticized but I don't see how the staff tries to ride on K-On's success besides the reputation they got from previously working on K-On.

ThangLong said:
Unless Stalker stated it on their website, I would doubt that Amazon is not providing Stalker actual sales number under a non-disclosure agreement. There is clearly a benefit for Amazon if someone can actually predict the sale (it helps with stocking issues but most importantly, contract negotiation)
You are giving way too little credit to Stalker and its awesomeness. As jmal said there is simply no way that Stalker is connected to Amazon in any sense. The Stalker started as a very crude tool by a bunch of anime fans who were desperate to find a way to foretell the 1st week sales of their favorite anime, when the importance of DVD sales started to dawn on the anime industry. This is why for all the upgrades and tweaks that it went through, it never strayed away from doing projection only on anime titles. And given the handicap it suffers because of the lack of access to critical data like Amazon actual sales, the accuracy it manages to achieve now, after all the improvements done over the years, is truly awesome.

ThangLong said:

So there are two huge pitfalls for Stalker. I can see why it has led them to grossly underestimated series like Love Live! (almost a 100% underestimation). The store-front effect can explain the first, but not second pitfall.
100% underestimation? How do you get this number? The Stalker projection is around 55% of the actual sales, so shouldn't it be 45% underestimate? Or our understanding of the word "underestimate" is different?

Sorry, what is the second pitfall you are talking about?

ThangLong said:
After saying all that, I still believe Stalker is a pretty reliable tool if you only want to compare the relative rankings for your series to your friend's. It can give you bragging right if your series is predicted to rank higher in sales. But as far as the actual number go, I will use it with reservations.
Stalker is particularly good for
1) observe the trend of the changes of the sales projection over time. Tamako started with 8-9k projection at the start of the series and then went down and down until finally stabilizing at 3.5k. By checking the changes of Stalker projection we get a good idea of how the popularity of the series moves with time (though here we need to be careful for factor suddenly introduced like announcement of event ticket)
2) provide a handy reference point for you to estimate the first week sales once the release date is reasonably close (and here we need to be careful for factors like storefront skew or Amazon skew which may cause big over/underestimation)
3) compare the relative performance of anime titles, particularly those that are to be released at around the same time.

ThangLong said:
I'm thinking it's a good idea for symbv to continue posting Stalker ranking for upcoming sales, but maybe with accompanying numbers as well xD, if you don't mind. A lot of people might like to see how Stalker performs vs. actual Oricon sales.
With what accompanying numbers? If the BD are not on sale yet, there are no sales data to accompany I think?
symbvMar 26, 2013 11:56 AM

Mar 26, 2013 11:57 AM

Dec 2012
jmal said:
ThangLong said:

...There's simply no way this is the case.

Why would a multinational megacorporation need to farm out sales prediction work to some guy on the internet? They can just pay a statistics PhD to crank out an algorithm as crude as Stalker's i a couple hours. And they most certainly don't need to disclose it on the internet for everyone to see.

All the information on Stalker is by definition information Amazon already has. They will have sales prediction models that are vastly more sophisticated and accurate than anything Stalker can throw together.

Yes, Stalker is a fan-generated website, full stop. There is nothing official about it.

I think this is going into assumption vs. assumption territory, but I will say these:

-Hiring a PhD for couple hours actually cost more money than an average person working for a year. That is not adding days or weeks of researching into a business that's frankly, prominent in Japan's DVD/Blue-rays section, but does not worth much in Amazon's overall revenue.

-Having an already established networks of fans, who have been looking at the industry for decades, and collaboratively contribute their information, worth more than any information a research team can put together. The best thing for whoever behind Stalker to do is the present his numbers at a meeting with Amazon officials, and that's it.

-I would draw an equivalent of whoever behind Stalker, assuming he is a statistic genius, with Nate Silver of the New York Times Five Thirty Eight blog. Nate started out at the Daily Kos, posting his prediction of US's election using polls number. People recognized his genius and hired him for the NYT. Nowadays, having predicted correctly almost all major elections since 2008, he is now the most reliable statistician of the entire US Election business.

So yea, we will never know. But that's basically why I think it's possible that Stalker is collaborating with Amazon

jimal said:
I see a problem for their goal of trying to predict the overall number (Oricon) by predicting a reasonably large, but unreliable representative retailer (Amazon) using not statistically equivalent method (comparing Amazon ranking with actual sales number is not statistically equivalent because they are apples and oranges. You have to compare number to number, or rankings to rankings)

Right, that's what we've been saying. Stalker is a useful tool, but you can't rely on it 100%, and you have to mix its estimates with a rough sense of how titles are doing outide of Amazon, plus a general understanding of sales history and how things work. Every week in this thread we see people who are mislead/confused by Stalker estimates.

That's precisely why I wrote it here. It is to reiterate, as well as provide some reasoning for why people should not pick-up Stalker's number at face value. Even though we can use outside factors to explain the differences, those factors cannot account for Stalker's inherited problems stated above. People should not be surprise that even when they have exhausted all reasoning, Stalker's numbers still grossly differs from actual ones.
Mar 26, 2013 12:22 PM

Jul 2012
symbv said:
^ Do you think you may have let K-On color you too much about how you see the Tamako show? For me I really see it as a deliberate attempt by the K-On staff to walk out, not wholeheartedly maybe but still with determination, of the K-On shadow they created. Some character design has K-On vibe but that's about it. We have many adults with good air time; K-On has almost none. We have romance and boys; K-On has none. We have neighborhood and community as one key theme, not in K-On which is mostly about school life and the K-On club. K-On has pop band music; here we have oldies. Not saying Tamako is not to be criticized but I don't see how the staff tries to ride on K-On's success besides the reputation they got from previously working on K-On.

It's not just the character designs for me, but the characters' personalities too. Admitedly there are some fresh faces around there, but when I think of the main character in Tamako Market, I don't think "Tamako, Midori, Choi" I think, "Yui/Mugi, Ritsu/Mio, Azusa" due to their similarities that I see. I'll admit -- the two are very different in terms of plot and settings, but in the end it just feels very bland to me. It's true, K-On may indeed influence my attitude on how I view Tamako, Perhaps it's just that the show doesn't have much that keeps my hooked onto it.

I apologize, because "Riding on K-On's success" may have been an exaggeration or improper wording on my part. A better way to put it is that the show feels very bland and distasteful to me. The character designs are just one of the toppers on the cake.
Mar 26, 2013 12:22 PM

Sep 2012
^ OK, I see what you mean. If we look at just the 4 girls I can see the automatic association made with K-On. By the way you said you found Tamako "bland and distasteful", from what I understand "distasteful" means "offensive to one's personal taste, unpleasant, objectionable because of poor taste", I hope you didn't really find Tamako that unpleasant to you?

jmal said:
I find the second calculation more useful, because it gives a measurement specifically calculating the magnitude of the difference between estimation and reality.
I also find the second calculation more useful but I would not call it "underestimate by" but instead how much "overshoot" the actual sales vs the stalker projection. "Percent error", the term you use, is also fine, but "underestimate by 74%" is confusing (not to say 100% which really got me stretching my head).
symbvMar 26, 2013 12:43 PM

Mar 26, 2013 12:27 PM

Dec 2012
sybmv said:
100% underestimation? How do you get this number? The Stalker projection is around 55% of the actual sales, so shouldn't it be 45% underestimate?

Or our understanding of the word "underestimate" is different?

I'm not a Grammatician, but I think both ways are accurate.

-You can say: Stalker underestimates 42.4% of actual sales, which uses the forumla (a-b)/a
or
-Salker makes an exact 73.8% underestimation to its prediction, which uses the formula (a-b)/b. For this, I only used almost 100% as a hyperbole.

sybmv said:

I will quote myself here, and change it a bit so that it's more clear.

1) I see a problem for their goal of trying to predict the overall number (Oricon) by predicting a reasonably large, but unreliable representative retailer(Amazon)

2) (Amazon) using not statistically equivalent method (comparing Amazon ranking with actual sales number is not statistically equivalent because they are apples and oranges. You have to compare number to number, or rankings to rankings)

sybmv said:
ThangLong said:

With what accompanying numbers? If the BD are not on sale yet, there are no sales data to accompany I think?

The data I was talking about is Stalker's data. Just as you have provided a table with Stalker prediction ranking for next week earlier, you can add numbers next to those anime xD
Mar 26, 2013 12:38 PM

Dec 2012
^ predicted release day total is exactly what I meant

This list

symbv said:

- SAO v6
- Gintama Enchousen v2
- ToLoveRu Darkness v4
- Little Busters! v4
- Vivired Operation v1
- Haganai2 v1
- Hidamari4 v4
- Minamike4 v1
- Jormungand2 v4
- Sakuraso v3
- OniAi v4
- Senran Kagura v1
- Magi 4 (DVD)
- Amnesia v1 (DVD)
- AKB0048 2nd v1
- OreShura v2
- Sasami-san v1

just needs to have numbers with them
Mar 26, 2013 12:38 PM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
I'm not a Grammatician, but I think both ways are accurate.
-You can say: Stalker underestimates 42.4% of actual sales, which uses the forumla (a-b)/a
or
-Salker makes an exact 73.8% underestimation to its prediction, which uses the formula (a-b)/b. For this, I only used almost 100% as a hyperbole.
Hmm..alright. I would say that "73.8% error with Stalker underestimating" is perhaps clearest to me. Anyway, great that it is cleared up.

ThangLong said:
sybmv said:
I will quote myself here, and change it a bit so that it's more clear.
1) I see a problem for their goal of trying to predict the overall number (Oricon) by predicting a reasonably large, but unreliable representative retailer(Amazon)
2) (Amazon) using not statistically equivalent method (comparing Amazon ranking with actual sales number is not statistically equivalent because they are apples and oranges. You have to compare number to number, or rankings to rankings)
I think jmal has answered the questions and I have nothing much to add. Indeed both are true, and what is great , to me at least, is even with these two handicaps, the accuracy is still pretty good in most of the cases.

ThangLong said:

The data I was talking about is Stalker's data. Just as you have provided a table with Stalker prediction ranking for next week earlier, you can add numbers next to those anime xD
I remember I did a full Stalker ranking only once before and that was at the mid-point of the current season, before any BD was released. So I guess if I do another, it will most probably be for the Spring season and there will not be actual sales data either. Most of the time when I use Stalker projection it is to talk about titles not released yet anyway ;-)

EDIT: OK, you mean "days to release", like the one I did in the full stalk ranking a few weeks ago. Well, I will surely consider including this if I need to refer to titles that are not so close to release date.
symbvMar 26, 2013 12:41 PM

Mar 26, 2013 12:56 PM

Dec 2012
jmal said:
ThangLong said:
I think this is going into assumption vs. assumption territory, but I will say these:

You're looking for a complicated answer to a simple question, I think. Stalker's formula is largely predictable. To match up against data its being fed from Amazon, it would need to make adjustments that fall outside the predictable point accumulation formula, and people would notice this.

Perhaps I did not notice this, but all was said at the website is Stalker awards points daily, but it did not specify how points are awarded and what methodology was used. So you can observe the trend line to find any anomalies, but that does not say much

jmal said:

Stalker can achieve what it's trying to do without the actual Amazon data, it's just a bit more effort to work out initially. Instead of correlating Amazon sales data to Oricon data, it can correlate hourly/daily/median/average ranking data to Oricon data. The effect is basically the same - a relationship between Amazon rankings and Oricon data.

That relationship does not provide any number, for example, it can be either

Ranking:
Oricon:

Unicorn 1st

Love Live! 2nd

Tamako 3rd

or

Ranking:
Oricon:

Unicorn 1st

Love Live! 2nd

Tamako 3rd

There is no way you can figure out the correlation, if there is no change in relative rankings.
Mar 26, 2013 1:28 PM

Jul 2012
symbv said:
^ OK, I see what you mean. If we look at just the 4 girls I can see the automatic association made with K-On. By the way you said you found Tamako "bland and distasteful", from what I understand "distasteful" means "offensive to one's personal taste, unpleasant, objectionable because of poor taste", I hope you didn't really find Tamako that unpleasant to you?

Offensive? Nah, again, poor wording on my part. (I need a dictionary.) What I meant when I said it was that it left a bad taste in my mouth. Not a taste so bad that it'll never go away though.
Mar 26, 2013 1:38 PM
Sep 2011
GarLogan78 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I think they just need to stay away from original anime. Tamako Market and Munto both sold terribly.

Nichijou did sell very bad to but it was not an original anime! XD
Mar 26, 2013 2:28 PM

Dec 2012
jmal said:
By the way if you're looking for an evaluation of Stalker and Oricon, we've done a bit of that at Mania. Here's one graph that came out of it, thanks to ultimatemegax. I also provided some prediction vs oricon data (xlsx) for all of 2012 up to that point. He hasn't had a chance to visualize it yet but might do so if he gets a chance.

Basically, though 2012 up through part of the Fall season (a couple shows weren't out at the time), for all first volume titles that ranked (n=142), Stalker was on average -9.8% off, meaning underestimated 9.8% and the median is -2.3%.

So the average and median are fantastic but the range of values is very large: between -279% and 61%.[•] This shows that Stalker is very good in the aggregate but for any individual title it can be wildly inaccurate.

[•] -279% is Arcana BD v1, estimate 326, actual 1234.
+61% is Tari Tari BD v1, estimate 14298, actual 7758.

30 releases (21%) were overestimated by >20% while 41 (29%) were underestimated by >20%. This means exactly 50% of releases were estimated within ±20% and the same number were outside of a 20% estimate. Take any individual estimate with a grain of salt, but you can trust the overall model to at least ballpark non-storefront titles.

Ok, took me sometime to to go through the data (I also draw a Normal distribution graph, I can send it to you if you are interested). But I think this is really bad news for Stalker

Yes, the Mean is -9.8%, but the Standard Deviation (basically, the aggregate fluctuation from each prediction to its actual sales) is too high at 46.1%. Which means, to be able to reasonably predict first week sales of any anime within 95% confidence, you have to give +/- (46.1*2) % of Stalker Points

Example:
Love Live! vol1: 10601 +/- 9752 for 95% confidence

This reasonably demonstrates zero predictive ability whatsoever :(

I think Stalker is more reliable with ongoing series rather than new entries. But that is to be expected, because on-going series will not have their sales fluctuate too much from vol to vol
ThangLongMar 26, 2013 2:44 PM
Mar 26, 2013 2:45 PM

Oct 2007
symbv said:
^ If it is not a very busy week like this week I think I can put up the Temporal Ranking earlier (but of course only when there are data to update when we see more sales for vol.1 of some titles)

Kaioshin_Sama said:
4 completely different anime produced by Sunrise in the top 20. They really seem to know how to get their stuff off the shelves regardless of genre lately.
Don't forget to look at the production company as well if you want to talk about pushing sales as it is the production company which is responsible for the marketing ranging from magazine ads, huge outdoor posters, to fan events and collaboration campaign with retailers or convenience stores etc. (so it is less confusing to say 4 anime made by Sunrise, instead of "produced")

And here Bandai really shines: Gundam UC, GalPan, Love Live, Horizon all are produced by Bandai and these titles are ruling the chart.

Yeah the whole Namco Bandai family is kind of crushing it in general from anime to music to games to their PVC/model kit profits are soaring lately and I think it's because they have clear cut plans, goals and visions and they are working. I particularly like what they've been doing as a publisher with their video game engines in trying to achieve a near perfect blend of anime on character model style. Their latest Tales of games and Ni No Kuni look pretty gorgeous in particular with lots of shading and lots of detail. Sometimes I really swear I'm looking at an anime and cannot believe it's CGI modeling. They've really stepped it up of late whereas they used to be known as frequent purveyors of kusoge.

I didn't know they had the publishing credit on Girls Und Panzer, but I'm kind of not surprised. Girls on tanks seems like something they would sign onto.
Mar 26, 2013 2:54 PM

Dec 2012
jmal said:
But precisely because of its shortcomings, it needs to be used carefully, and people need to take the time to understand those shortcomings - I won't rehash my spiel there though, as I think we're both in agreement on that.

Yea, totally. I was excited about Stalker and its magic methodology. That's why I was so keen on finding out about its inner-working. But it looks like you are right about Stalker not being made by some genius statisticians after all :(

Oh, and that's also the reason we need people such as you and Symbv to extrapolate the data for us xD

I have to confess that I'm not an avid anime watcher nor I'm familiar with the anime business. Thus, I greatly appreciate the works of you, Sybmv, and Ejc, in providing MAL some real perspectives about the industry.
ThangLongMar 26, 2013 3:00 PM
Mar 26, 2013 3:25 PM

Jan 2008
symbv said:

CD Album
*3, 19,578 19,578 Kalafina "Consolation"

Source: Oricon Youtaiju

This makes me a very happy person. Well deserved, too, album is fantastic.
Mar 26, 2013 3:34 PM

Dec 2012
Going back to your mention of Nate Silver (I also followed his blog extensively during the election period, also Princeton Election Consortium), I think I can draw a decent comparison

I know that. The collective election poll data are both scientifically sound and timely. I had had a discussion with Sybmv on it the first time I heard about Stalker. I questioned Stalker's validity since the only way to know for sure is to set up scientific polls asking people what anime they would buy. I'm sure some kinds of polling are done all the time at market researching firms.

So you followed the US election closely as well? I thought you are living in Japan. Did you mail your absentee ballot back to the States?
Mar 26, 2013 4:52 PM

Aug 2008
I wasn't expecting 18,000+ from Love Live! Holy shit, they smashed it.

And what the fuck, Tamako Market. WHAT THE FUCK
Mar 26, 2013 5:27 PM

Sep 2009
Could someone post temporal sales ranking of this season shows? I mean ranking of total maximal(like dtshyk did) or average by volume numbers with place.
Mar 26, 2013 8:41 PM

Sep 2012
Jmal has explained a lot about the Stalker mechanism and how it should be used. What I want to say is that comparison with Nate Silver and his 538 model (I read his blog as daily routine during the US Election last year) goes only as far as the result - that they both provide some kind of guidance to what the final result will be like, and that's about it. No complex statistics in Stalker, no huge poll data to crunch either (it is not there for Stalker anyway). Whereas 538 has implication for market research with polls and all that, Stalker acts more like data mining based on existing (but very limited) public information from Amazon and Oricon (plus a few other factors like Nico reservations which function as minor tweaks). Amazon was chosen obviously because it is the only retailer that provides a constantly updated running sales ranking that goes long enough (to tens of thousands or even beyond) so that tracking and assigning points according to the rank is meaningful. And the beauty of Stalker is how it manages to do what it does with so little, particularly on data side.

Nate Silver has a lot more data to work on (all those polls done by the myriad of pollsters at different places at different times), which of course helped him to go down to state level and make the right call for every single state in the election.

Nachtwandler_21 said:
Could someone post temporal sales ranking of this season shows? I mean ranking of total maximal(like dtshyk did) or average by volume numbers with place.
I will post it after the full data of the week is out. Putting Tamako as having sold 6xx discs while in fact it must have sold several times more can look very misguiding, even if I put a disclaimer there (as it can often be ignored or forgotten).
symbvMar 26, 2013 8:53 PM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Diamond no Ace: Act II' TV Anime Sequel in Production

Vindstot - May 18

20 by tinker3bellz1 »»
7 hours ago

» Kinema Citrus Announces 'Sayonara Lara', 'Ninja Skooler' Original Anime

DatRandomDude - May 18

15 by Tiyuen210 »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - May 14

42 by mokkocchi »»
8 hours ago

» 'Hazurewaku no "Joutai Ijou Skill" de Saikyou ni Natta Ore ga Subete wo Juurin suru made' Announces Additional Cast, Ending Theme

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by 18927 »»
11 hours ago

» 'Zatsu Tabi: That's Journey' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo for 2025

Hyperion_PS - May 15

3 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 3:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.