Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »
Feb 4, 2014 11:18 AM

Dec 2013
Such a beautiful and bittersweet ending. A really inspiring anime :)!
Days need to be longer. 24 hours isn't enough ...
Feb 4, 2014 3:00 PM

Aug 2009
I finished it 3 days ago, the ending is bittersweet, yet it's too depressing for my weak heart since i'm sensitive to death scenario in stories, even more because maria and mamoru are just a couple that trying to find happiness somewhere else...

But poor reiko, she never even remembered...:/
Feb 9, 2014 6:43 AM

May 2013
I rough start at bit, but amazing and super original show ro me 10/10
Feb 15, 2014 12:08 PM
Aug 2012
Cirris said:
deave112 said:
deadsea said:
DAT ending :mc-love:
dat soundtrack, ;infinite tears;
I Love it!!!!

Who would have thought this show will have a happy ending. I'm really happy about that. But I loved this show so much, i'm so sad that it's over :-(

I'm not sure you can call it a happy ending. Bittersweet maybe. I mean seriously. Their village was destroyed, most of their families, mentors, and friends were killed. Of course Saki and Satoru would end up together in the end. All they had left was each other.

Still a great story overall. It improved immensely as the series went on. Still had plot holes and other minor issues. It was a good well crafted story.

Yeah, it literally wasn't a happy ending at all. But did we all watch the same ending? it wasn't unhappy because all these PK users died and shit...1000 years into the future and humanity still hasn't learned anything? I mean come the fuck on, it was literally painful for me to watch Squerara have to answer those questions before Saki, Satoru, and the court. I can't believe they didn't understand their oppression of the monster rats, that they'd want to fight and sacrifice for equality. Pkers destroyed entire communities because they REALLY thought themselves gods. and Squerara was right, they did it without hurting their conscious, which is terrible. To me, this was nothing more than an allegory for any revolution (that ultimately failed) or racial slavery. And then to top it off, the discovery by Satoru that the monster rats, these "beasts", were actually human? ya, let's go ahead not hold that against the PKers, right? pshh. IMO not even Saki was free of blame the entire series. and you know what, the ending where "maybe in the future we'll change and be better" sucked. ya right, like that's gonna happen. TIL humanity will suck forever from this series
Feb 15, 2014 1:43 PM

Sep 2010
I am quite happy to say that this anime didn't live up to my expectations.I expected less than I got ;)

As for the last revolution message. The answer is simple: They did understand the oppression well. But they were scared to admit it and force a change just as they were scared of each other.
Feb 18, 2014 5:04 AM

Mar 2013
This Episode was nearly flawless. The soundtrack sent shivers down my spine, what an amazing piece of music! I am so mad that they made Saki marry Satoru in the end. He isn't her type, it seems so forced in order to please the viewers.
Feb 18, 2014 5:14 PM

Sep 2011
4kiraL said:
I am so mad that they made Saki marry Satoru in the end. He isn't her type, it seems so forced in order to please the viewers.

To be fair, I heard that the anime cut out one of their biggest confession scenes and how the two actually admitted that they actually grew to like each other and the only reason they haven't brought it up is because they felt awkward about it since they had lost their friends already which they once loved (Shu and Maria particularly). That said, I don't think their marriage was too far-fetched, clearly they worked really well together and slowly became close over time, despite initially being annoyed at each other when they were kids (especially after the time-skip where they seem to be more comfortable with each other).
Feb 18, 2014 6:04 PM

Mar 2013
So I did have the right feeling. Not having read the novel their relationship seemed inexplicable to me. Yeah, I don't think that it's too far-fetched either, it was just not elaborated enough. The childhood wasn't the problem, though. Imho their philosophies differ a lot from each other and therefore in order to make the marriage convincing there should have been hints for a possible love affair throughout the last third of the series. But on the other side, love cannot be calculated, maybe they just fell for each other after these incidents and we don't know what led to it. Why do I even think so much about this...

Anyway, in the end it didn't influence my perception of the Anime, which I consider an innovative little masterpiece.
Thanks a lot, ronri! :) You opened my eyes, now I see the beauty in life and can live on without worries and regret. I will always remember you. Always.
4kiraLFeb 18, 2014 6:11 PM
Feb 19, 2014 2:22 AM

Sep 2011
4kiraL said:
So I did have the right feeling. Not having read the novel their relationship seemed inexplicable to me. Yeah, I don't think that it's too far-fetched either, it was just not elaborated enough. The childhood wasn't the problem, though. Imho their philosophies differ a lot from each other and therefore in order to make the marriage convincing there should have been hints for a possible love affair throughout the last third of the series. But on the other side, love cannot be calculated, maybe they just fell for each other after these incidents and we don't know what led to it. Why do I even think so much about this...

Anyway, in the end it didn't influence my perception of the Anime, which I consider an innovative little masterpiece.
Thanks a lot, ronri! :) You opened my eyes, now I see the beauty in life and can live on without worries and regret. I will always remember you. Always.

Yeah I was surprised by the marriage myself (more of a "pleasantly surprised" kind of way) but didn't think it was too far-fetched the first time I watched it. That said, I think that was the one main thing that fans of the novel were nit-picking about. While I can definitely see and understand their point (after all, it would have made Saki and Satoru's connection much stronger had they kept those scenes in the anime), I still enjoyed the show for its thought-provoking story.

Also you're welcome! ^_^
Feb 22, 2014 8:22 PM

May 2013
ronri said:
4kiraL said:
I am so mad that they made Saki marry Satoru in the end. He isn't her type, it seems so forced in order to please the viewers.

To be fair, I heard that the anime cut out one of their biggest confession scenes and how the two actually admitted that they actually grew to like each other and the only reason they haven't brought it up is because they felt awkward about it since they had lost their friends already which they once loved (Shu and Maria particularly). That said, I don't think their marriage was too far-fetched, clearly they worked really well together and slowly became close over time, despite initially being annoyed at each other when they were kids (especially after the time-skip where they seem to be more comfortable with each other).

Yeah, Shinsekai Yori, despite being a very good show, screwed this aspect up. For some reason the two always felt distant from each other following the timeskip, and the anime's portrayal of their relationship didn't help. Their marriage at the end kind of feels out of nowhere despite the fact that they were close friends due to how the anime handled their relationship in its last act.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 22, 2014 8:43 PM

Jul 2012
MrAM said:
ronri said:
4kiraL said:

Yeah, Shinsekai Yori, despite being a very good show, screwed this aspect up. For some reason the two always felt distant from each other following the timeskip, and the anime's portrayal of their relationship didn't help. Their marriage at the end kind of feels out of nowhere despite the fact that they were close friends due to how the anime handled their relationship in its last act.

For me, I didn't mind that their relationship wasn't developed well. I do like them together and they do understand each other well I suppose. I just thought that this show was more plot-focused and world-focused over characters and their relationships.
Feb 22, 2014 10:10 PM

Aug 2010
mayukachan said:
MrAM said:
ronri said:
4kiraL said:

For me, I didn't mind that their relationship wasn't developed well. I do like them together and they do understand each other well I suppose. I just thought that this show was more plot-focused and world-focused over characters and their relationships.

Yeah, and I don't find it surprising at all that they ended up together after everything they've been through.

My only problem with this anime is that they cut out some scenes between them.
Feb 23, 2014 4:21 PM

Sep 2010
I marathoned this anime and I <3 it.
Feb 24, 2014 9:22 PM

Dec 2013
i just finished this a couple days ago and i really liked it! I gave it a solid 8/10 only because i felt the middle episodes weren't as interesting as the first 8~ and last 8~.
based off of the second half i would've given this 10/10. this anime really gives you a lot to think about.
Feb 28, 2014 8:48 PM

Jan 2014
Best anime of 2013 in my opinion.. :)
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 1, 2014 8:03 AM

Aug 2009
Well I finished this and I must say this was a brilliant series. I'm quite sad its over and there will not be a second season seeing how they wrapped things up. I just may pick up the novel though, I'm contemplating that.

So much to say about this anime, I truly do not feel like typing it all because it would be so long so let me just give a short version: I like that in the end Satoru and Saki got married and are finally starting a family. I remember starting this show and expecting Shun and Saki to be the main pairing but they had me fooled. I also found myself really enjoying Satorus character more than anyone else. I also liked how the pairings had names that all started with the same letter (MxM, SxS) don't know it that was intentional or not. But anyway I liked the OTP.

The story was one of great satisfaction, and truly allowed me to humble myself and think outside of the box for once. I can tell that the storytelling is splendid and in some aspects the anime missed sight of that and left out necessary details but that's ok because it can't follow the novel 100% but even so I think they did a fabulous job in adapting. I found myself intrigued with every episode and always wanting to know what will happen next. This world that has been created was different from our own, yet similar and in those similarities do we find comfort and fear as well. A great anime, a fantastic story, such realistic characters, fabulous art, and an astounding soundtrack, what more could you ask for? A solid 9/10 for me.

Mar 9, 2014 1:35 AM

May 2010
I don't approve of Satou and Saki...

I was still rooting for Shun to come back somehow.

I also kind of feel for Squeeler.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 9, 2014 11:22 AM

May 2010
Also which studio produced the character designs? I really liked them.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 9, 2014 6:20 PM

Apr 2012
I think people complaining about the marriage at the end are completely unreasonable. You guys think of love as something way to special, sure Satou wouldnt have been chosen if Shu was still around but he wasnt, and neither was Maria (which she cant have kids with anyway).
And while they did say they tried making a society of love like the bonobos have, the duty pair selecting in school also was restricted to boy + girl only. This yet hints at the no-brainer that producing offspring was expected of everyone, in order to keep humanity going, especially with the whole removal of kids that deem dangerous.
On top of that Saki and Sato went trough a LOT of shit togheter. And while at first they might have not liked each other too much they grew closer. Troughout the show you can see how Satou often hugs Saki and comforts her, showing that they got closer. Maybe they never had butterflies in their stomach whenever togheter, but I know for sure that they felt real Love for each other. Not the kind of stupid teenage girl crush but real love.

I for one think that it was the only logical outcome, and I am happy they didnt show an awkward confession scenes between 26 year olds. The way they did it makes it seem more like a fluid transition, which again I think makes sense considering what they went trough togheter. I would say that even after they got togheter not much changed for them.

Id appreciate it if people wouldnt expect their relationship to be like those of a teenage girls crush. Lets not compare the Highscool romance shit to this now shall we?
Mar 9, 2014 6:24 PM

Apr 2012
mayukachan said:
MrAM said:
ronri said:
4kiraL said:

Which is only for the best. I mean lets be honest humanity is at the threat of going extinct and all the show would focus on is that one character cant get the other to like him/her? I hate it when producers thing that is a great idea to assume that love between 2 characters is more important than the world and fate of humanity or what is going on with it.
Mar 9, 2014 7:35 PM

Jul 2012
@baki502: I completely agree :D

Confucius said:
Also which studio produced the character designs? I really liked them.

http://myanimelist.net/people/10913/Kubota_Chikashi
Mar 11, 2014 4:54 PM

Oct 2008
It was pretty obvious for a while they'd get together... I mean they certainly didn't get the moment they deserved, considering how much the writers liked to dragged things on like crazy sometimes, but they have been through so many things and are the only ones left of their group... It's not exactly the love confession one would expect, but it's not unreasonable to think they'd marry. Considering that everyone is supposed to be paired in school, they'd need to marry and produce children with other people if not together, so together is better.

It was a pretty fantastic anime, it didn't let up for a moment (I couldn't believe that halfway there were already so much shit going on) and they went from one thing to another. One thing I would've liked to see more is the rest of the world (or at least Japan) the places that are ravaged. Tokyo didn't really do it for me because it was more a bunch of caves and rocks, it would've been nice to see ancient ruins of our civilization and the main character finding those, it would've made the fact that they've been closed off in their communities more prominent and give the audience a better grasp of the fact instead of just mentioning it.

I don't know other people but it broke my heart that Maria and Mamoru's child was taken since birth and possibly not know her parents... The other stuff Squealer did I could've looked more critically, but that one thing... I can't help but think he killed Mamoru and Maria, especially after Tomiko said that the bones were Maria's according to DNA tests.

Overall an awesome series. I couldn't like Saki a lot though, she wavered too much and was wearing a blank face way too many times (I'm not saying when she's surprised). IMO she wasn't the good leader Tomiko said she could be, sometimes she made me really mad by her lack of resolution.
Mar 14, 2014 9:38 PM

Feb 2009
I have to admit, I was about to drop the series around episode 12, since it got nowhere at that point. The only interesting so far was the history of humanity told by that slug thing.

But. With episode 16 it (finally) started to become more and more interesting. And luckily it kept up until the end. It picked up a lot of interesting subjects and questions about every morale a society can come up with. The ever-curious and eager queerats were the original human race, especially from Sengoku and Imperial Japan, which was doomed to be overly aggressive. The cantus humans, on the other hand, preferred a status quo and safety, shutting down every opportunity for a change, which was even more doomed to fail. Interestingly enough, this society was born by scientists, which probably do not normally stand for upholding a status quo. In the end, every side was a bastardish one, biased and crooked, but just concerned about their survival. Squealer's final condition will probably hunt me in my next few dreams, I'm afraid.

Given the really mediocre start, which kept me for way too long from enjoying the series due to (seemingly) random pacing and boring storytelling, I can not consider the series a master piece. The first queerat arc was so incredibly boring for me. But at a point at which I was considering giving the series something between 5 and 6, it got better. Way better. In the end, I will rate it a really good 8/10.
Mar 23, 2014 7:42 PM

Dec 2011
Re-watched the series again today and I still love it as much as the first time..

Mar 26, 2014 12:13 PM

Oct 2010
i think no other anime has captured the human selfishness and ruthlessness in a better way, this wasn't the best anime i have ever watched but it is definitely one of the most original ones
Mar 29, 2014 9:33 PM

Feb 2013
Great series. Really unique story, great characters, action, blood, romance, not knowing who was good or bad, tons of depression......

10/10

I don't even give a fuck.
Apr 2, 2014 5:42 PM

Apr 2009
I'm so happy I didn't dropped this one on episode 8 after seeing those Yuri and Yaoi scenes. Well, this show kinda started boring but caught my interest after 12years has past. I love the ending and casts. 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2014 11:28 PM

Oct 2008
I don't know what to feel

8/10
Apr 9, 2014 5:45 PM

Sep 2011
This show was truly great i am glad i stuck with it through to the end! 10/10
Apr 13, 2014 9:56 AM
Apr 2010
Finally got around to finishing this. If only more anime like this were being made these days.. This is the only thing I managed to sit down and actually watch lately.
8/10.
Apr 20, 2014 6:47 PM

Jul 2013
Amazing anime! The ending wz just perfect~ Can't stop thinking about it!! Overall give this an awesome 8/10
Apr 23, 2014 11:48 AM

May 2010
This is like Shiki X Psycho-pass crossover.

Loved the concept, storyline, and setting. Very intriguing.
Music is good as it sets the perfect atmosphere.
Had some issues with the direction and animation.

Overall, 8/10. It could have been so much better considering the potential of the premise.
Apr 29, 2014 6:56 PM

Aug 2013
Woah, wooooaaaahh. Hum, I don't really know what to say... That ending still give me shivers right, I'm kinda in shock by how great the ending was...

Well, I guess we should start with the beginning right? In the end, Kiroumaru died as a hero. He sacrified himself for the great of his own tyrant (a bit of Stockholm symdrom?). About this, I'm glad he didn't end up a traitor. He sure deserved a mighty end and he got it. See ya, magnificant bastard.

So that what Shun meant, by she not a fiend. Yes, he was right, from the definition they had, a fiend was a human that was able to surpass the return of death, a kind of hybrid between a psychopath and sociopath. But Maria child could was not immunized to the return of death, after all, it was in his DNA. He was simply raised as a beast, a machine to kill.

Squealer easily rendered himself, without his ultime joker, he had nothing left but cannon fodders. You can't win a war with only that.

We really saw at that trial that the human haven't learned from this lesson. They treated a intelligent species as livestock, and they will still continue to treat them like that. It could be even worse, we don't really know how the tension evolved from this mess. And we don't need to know, the ended say it pretty well, ''the power of imagination is what can change everything''. Let's imaginate how the conflict evolved ;)

Even if what Squealer did was horrible, I consider that what they did was as horrible or even more. The queerats had all their reason to hate the human. I think that Kiroumaru stated it perfectly, ''we couldn't know when the wind would turn''. With all the power the human had with the human nature to want always more, they were able to eradicate entire colony with no remorse.

At least, there is one person that understood the lesson they had to get from all this, with a bit of help from Satoru. Honestly, I wasn't surprised at all to learn that Queerats were from human, I called it in the first few episodes (yes, I'm kinda proud of that :P ). I also suspected that they could be from the non-telekinesist human that would have muted, but I quickly forgot about that. Shun was able to modify the form of everything that was surrounding him, Tomiko was able to be ''immortal'' because of her amazing use of Juryoku, it doesn't surprise me that they were able to transform them.

I really liked her scene where she talked with Squealer rest in the museum. We could feel the compassion and the pity she had toward him and his people. What she said after was also really important : by being so fearful of their own race and establishing a panoply of crazy rule, they forgot about one important thing, morallity. They had no more sense of morallity, all their action was calculated to make the less collateral damage. A bit like Kiroumaru said, what he tried to achieve by gaining those massive destruction weapon was only to make his species survive. He wasn't really caring about the human nor a revenge, it was just his instinct of survival, as a leader.

In the end, Saki married Satoru. I just can't get out of my head that Satoru was hitting boy all the time in highschool and that such a playboy xD
It feel so wrong since they also both are (and probably still are) in love with Shun. It's like since they both couldn't live with him since he's dead, they married each other, feel awkward. But it's true that during the entire story, we could see that they had a special link (being saved by him during their first encounter with Squealer, sharing secret with him in their youth, having intimate moment with him) so it doesn't surprise me that she found happiness with him.

Saki is bringing a message of hope in the end. A beautiful message destined to the future that she will never see. I'm really glad that she didn't became a cold calculator like Tomiko. I think that was the greatest difference between the two of them, Tomiko had totally lost her humanity but Saki had always that adorable naivety in her way to act and think. Really, that anime was in my opinion a masterpiece, will not foget soon about it.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 2, 2014 3:22 PM

Dec 2010
It's sad how just a few episodes can pretty much ruin the entire experience of watching a good show. For me it was the episodes from 20 or 21 and up to the final one, or rather all of the episodes in which the path to the destruction of the ''fiend'' was presented. Why? Because the ''fiend'' could (should) have been dealt with in no more than an episode of time. How? Oh, I don't know, set a trap? Make some spikes, dig a hole, put the spikes in, lure the ''fiend'' there? No? Give a gun to Kiroumaru (you may not have noticed, but the queerats had a plethora of them), distract the ''fiend'', Kiroumaru comes from behind, blows the ''fiend's'' brains out, no death feedback? Nonono, that would be way too plain, let's over dramatize, let's send them to the luxurious caverns of post-apocalyptic Tokyo, where they shall find the almighty psychobreaker, a vial of anthrax, the salvation for mankind... and burn it several minutes later. But ok, Saki's reasons were understandable enough, and the destruction of the anthrax is beside the point of this post.

Now we arrive to the moment in which our protagonists learn that the ''fiend'' doesn't lack death feedback, it's just that it's triggered not by killing humans, but by killing queerats. Ok, so now we're finally gonna let Kiroumaru take care of the little pest, right? Since, you know, the ''fiend'' isn't gonna kill him? NOPE, let him, instead of killing the thing, be diguised as a human to be killed by the thing which, in turn, will kill the thing. Boy, we sure couldn't have done it any other/faster/less-time-consuming way -.- .

So yeah, sry about the wall of text, but I just had to get this out of my system since it was on my mind from the beginning of the arc and really lowered my overall impression of this series, which was very high, resulting in an easy 8/10, maybe even a 9/10, but was knocked down to a... maybe 6.5/10 due to the reasons stated above.
Seven years of power, the corporation claw
The rich control the government, the media, the law
To make some kind of difference
Then everyone must know:
Eradicate the fascists, revolution will grow...
May 2, 2014 3:44 PM

Sep 2011
Ixalion said:
It's sad how just a few episodes can pretty much ruin the entire experience of watching a good show. For me it was the episodes from 20 or 21 and up to the final one, or rather all of the episodes in which the path to the destruction of the ''fiend'' was presented. Why? Because the ''fiend'' could (should) have been dealt with in no more than an episode of time. How? Oh, I don't know, set a trap? Make some spikes, dig a hole, put the spikes in, lure the ''fiend'' there? No? Give a gun to Kiroumaru (you may not have noticed, but the queerats had a plethora of them), distract the ''fiend'', Kiroumaru comes from behind, blows the ''fiend's'' brains out, no death feedback? Nonono, that would be way too plain, let's over dramatize, let's send them to the luxurious caverns of post-apocalyptic Tokyo, where they shall find the almighty psychobreaker, a vial of anthrax, the salvation for mankind... and burn it several minutes later. But ok, Saki's reasons were understandable enough, and the destruction of the anthrax is beside the point of this post.

Except Saki and Satoru weren't exactly trained to be tactical soldiers. A lot of the situations you've brought up aren't even things that Saki and Satoru have been trained to do, let alone capable of doing so (both of which are a scientist and sociologist/diplomat, essentially civilians and not militarized trained users of Cantus). Let's not forget that they're borderline frightened of what the "fiend" is capable of doing in that it seemed far more tactically trained as a Queerat Cantus user, making it very hard for them to plan anything against it. As for Kiroumaru using a gun, it's practically impossible for him to confront it without getting detected (realize that during most of the travel that the "fiend" was accompanied by other queerats for protection) and even if he confronted it directly its use of Cantus could have easily rendered the gun useless.

Ixalion said:
Now we arrive to the moment in which our protagonists learn that the ''fiend'' doesn't lack death feedback, it's just that it's triggered not by killing humans, but by killing queerats. Ok, so now we're finally gonna let Kiroumaru take care of the little pest, right? Since, you know, the ''fiend'' isn't gonna kill him? NOPE, let him, instead of killing the thing, be diguised as a human to be killed by the thing which, in turn, will kill the thing. Boy, we sure couldn't have done it any other/faster/less-time-consuming way -.- .

The "fiend" may not have killed Kiroumaru, but it was self-aware enough and tactically trained enough that it could easily have lifted Kiroumaru up in the air so that the rest of the Queerat army could have shot him down. Planning out that sort of situation not only allowed Saki to take down the Queerats guarding the "fiend" but also lowered the "fiend's" guard enough to voluntarily kill Kiroumaru, thus ensuring the full-blown result of a death feedback. Again, you're ignoring certain elements that make this final plan so important and it makes your claims rather forced in their reasoning.

Ixalion said:
So yeah, sry about the wall of text, but I just had to get this out of my system since it was on my mind from the beginning of the arc and really lowered my overall impression of this series, which was very high, resulting in an easy 8/10, maybe even a 9/10, but was knocked down to a... maybe 6.5/10 due to the reasons stated above.

I'm sorry, but to dock down your rating on an entire series because it "over-dramatized" the finale just seems ridiculous when the scenarios provided actually gave more thematic significance in the way the final antagonist was dealt with (not to mention how easily your reasons could be debunked).
ronriMay 2, 2014 3:50 PM
May 2, 2014 4:31 PM

Mar 2014
Ixalion said:

Not really significant reasons as to why you would rate it that low.
May 7, 2014 2:59 AM

Sep 2012
Ixalion said:

Let's not forget that Satoru nearly annihilated an entire colony of queer rats that literally tried the exact same thing. At the age of 12, too. There are no reasons that suggest Kiroumaru had any chance of killing the fiend, who can stop projectiles in mid-flight. Not to mention, as ronri mentioned above, the fiend was protected by other queer rats.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
May 13, 2014 12:10 AM
Aug 2013
Maybe somebody asked this before.. but what happened to the babies that Squealer stole from the hospital
May 13, 2014 7:32 AM
Mar 2012
Ixalion said:
It's sad how just a few episodes can pretty much ruin the entire experience of watching a good show.

QFT. Though it was a while ago when I watched this, I really enjoyed the majority of the show and would have rated the whole experience 8 or 9 out of 10. The themes and story presented were done so in a beautifully done package and the series should be applauded for that.
I would have rated it higher if not for a couple of the arcs overstaying their welcome and adding what could be described as filler (notably, the arc when the kids escaped from the queer rats around the first third of the show and the last arc with the fiend). The filler, though it contained character development, could have been cut back slightly and sadly, tarnished my experience with this otherwise brilliant series.
7/10
(Initially rated 6/10 but changed upon reflection)
May 13, 2014 8:52 AM

Jul 2012
Metal_Webb said:
if not for a couple of the arcs overstaying their welcome and adding what could be described as filler (notably, the arc when the kids escaped from the queer rats around the first third of the show and the last arc with the fiend).

I thought everything in this show held a purpose. Besides, they were just sticking to the original content in the novel. Also, there's a lot of foreshadowing in the queer rat arc and exposition. Although I thought it dragged along when I first watched it, at the end, it was completely worth it. I would even rewatch it to find all the foreshadowing parts.
May 13, 2014 6:15 PM
Aug 2013
Metal_Webb said:
Ixalion said:
It's sad how just a few episodes can pretty much ruin the entire experience of watching a good show.

QFT. Though it was a while ago when I watched this, I really enjoyed the majority of the show and would have rated the whole experience 8 or 9 out of 10. The themes and story presented were done so in a beautifully done package and the series should be applauded for that.
I would have rated it higher if not for a couple of the arcs overstaying their welcome and adding what could be described as filler (notably, the arc when the kids escaped from the queer rats around the first third of the show and the last arc with the fiend). The filler, though it contained character development, could have been cut back slightly and sadly, tarnished my experience with this otherwise brilliant series.
7/10
(Initially rated 6/10 but changed upon reflection)

If you never had the "escaping from the queer rats" arc, then you never would've had the character development of Squealer, and he would've seemed like a bad villian.

Last arc with the fiend? That was like the main conflict of the entire show though. Without a "fiend" there wouldn't have been a war - it would've been a one sided massacre. Although the psychobuster stuff was a bit weak
May 19, 2014 9:18 PM

Aug 2013
Well I just finished watching this, and it was really amazingly written.
There were so many parts that made you feel uncomfortable and were thought provoking, and by the end it made you realize just how fucked up the society was, even more so than you probably thought before episode 17.

Honestly the most fucked up thing for me in the show was Maria and Mamoru's deaths. In the episode where Tomiko said that the DNA results of the bones 100% confirmed it was them, I was like wait wait how could that be possible? Then it clicked from when squealer said that "it would take some time but they could get bones". Then it all came together and I realized that he meant he was waiting for them to have a child before he killed them and took their actual bones, then raised their poor child. That whole realization coming together made me feel kind of sick.

Throughout the whole show I was kind of hoping that somehow Shun wasn't dead but that never happened lol.

Only 2 things I was disappointed about:
1 - they mentioned in one of the early episodes, that if 2 peoples' Cantus touched directly, that it would cause like a rainbow and then severely warp the surrounding area and cause major problems, but they never had that happen.
2 - All those human infants that were taken by the queerats...they never found them lol.

Overall I thought the series was fantastic and I enjoyed the ending, even if it was bittersweet.
May 21, 2014 2:44 AM

Oct 2011
Basically power corrupts everything. People with powers become karma demons that destroys everything. Queerats have to resort to power to have their freedom and rights and not to be a slave. People with power turn normal people into Queerats because they want to be the most powerful. In the end, human have not changed. They have disposed of the weapons of mass destruction for the good of the people but in the end, new power arises that makes us selfish.

I really liked this series. I will miss it. Marathoned it for two days! Totally predicted some of the occurrences but that was because the show gave excellent foreshadowing throughtout the series. I still liked ED1 than ED2 but what I liked about ED2 was that finger ripping apart the screen. That was awesome.
May 24, 2014 9:19 AM
Jun 2013
Iasuru said:

I really liked this series. I will miss it. Marathoned it for two days!

^LOL same
Oh my goodness. This show was so so so paradigm shifting. Although I totally called the fact that queerrats were humans back during the summer camp when Rijin set them on fire :P
Jun 1, 2014 10:35 AM
Jan 2014
Cirris said:
deave112 said:
deadsea said:
DAT ending :mc-love:
dat soundtrack, ;infinite tears;
I Love it!!!!

Who would have thought this show will have a happy ending. I'm really happy about that. But I loved this show so much, i'm so sad that it's over :-(

I'm not sure you can call it a happy ending. Bittersweet maybe. I mean seriously. Their village was destroyed, most of their families, mentors, and friends were killed. Of course Saki and Satoru would end up together in the end. All they had left was each other.

Still a great story overall. It improved immensely as the series went on. Still had plot holes and other minor issues. It was a good well crafted story.

What about all the queerats? Their outcome are the real tragedies in this story. I don't have any sympathy for the people of the villages.
Jun 2, 2014 1:59 PM

Jul 2013
some anime present us more enjoyment than quality
shinsekai yori is the opposite...
despite i enjoyed the episodes (especially since episode 10/11), this is one of those series that just give you that "fuck yeah" feeling in the end, and regardless any doubt that you had in the beginning, you are now sure that it was totally worth it
Jun 2, 2014 8:56 PM

Apr 2014
Just marathon-ed the whole series in 2 days. The last arc was undoubtedly the bomb of the whole show - very enjoyable and intense.

Needless to say, the story of the anime is something else and this element cannot be compared with other anime these days.

Honestly, I don't like the artwork or the direction of the anime. If it weren't base on the novel of Yusuke Kishi, one of my favourite contemporary writers in Japan, I would never be able to make it through the 2nd or 3rd episode. There are a lot of scenes that are either confusing as to what it wants to express or simply lazy in production.

I know I am quite critical of it, but I am still giving this anime a very high score because the story itself is truly a masterpiece that stops at nothing to present you how far humans can go for survival a millenium from now, if we still keep our old ways of war and eliminating what we fear - history seems to be repeating itself over and over again with violence.

I strongly recommend anyone who enjoys reading a good novel to read the book itself. The author has also written several controversial and thought provoking works which focus a lot on the human mentality and social taboos. The most gore-filled and controversial one being his work after Shinsekai yori - Lesson of the Evil (2010) which was adapted into a highly successful movie in Japan.

But yes, overall, one of the most satisfying endings ever. Overall: 9/10 (just wish the animation and artwork were different... but luckily the story has made me ignore all of the irritation I get)
Jun 3, 2014 2:24 PM
Jan 2014
It did a Mars of Destruction at the end
Jun 3, 2014 7:00 PM

Jul 2012
Pheonixshadow89 said:

Please elaborate
Jun 3, 2014 7:04 PM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
Pheonixshadow89 said:

Please elaborate

Please
Pages (27) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.