Forum Settings
Forums

Getting older is not the same as leveling up!!

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 17, 2013 7:54 AM

Jun 2008
rederoin said:
I truly have no idea what this thread even is about,

Is about Lesley_Roberta telling us how he is old and stuff. For some reason his obsessed with declaring this "fact". Other than that he rarely makes much sense. You guys haven't been as long at Mal as a few others like me to know that Lesley_Roberta is obsessed on playing the old wise guy. He used to mention his age in almost every post he was making in the old days and people were telling him how ridiculous his become, then he stopped posting much and now it seems he started again. Maybe he was waiting for new users to join Mal that don't know his routine so he can start all over again.
Feb 17, 2013 8:04 AM

Apr 2012
ForgoneReality said:
Immahnoob said:
ixsetf said:
When did I say anything about realism? I'm looking for main characters that are close to my age who have had similar experiences, jokes that kids wouldn't get, cultural references, ect.

Realism...

You're looking after some boring crap, son.

Why are stuck on the idea that they want realism? That's just wanting a deep story, mature comedy, or interesting characters. Doesn't mean it can't all be placed in a fantastical scenario or other worldly adventure.

Since when does "child" anime necessarily has to be "immature"?

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 17, 2013 10:13 AM

Nov 2011
bergil said:
For those who found OP's message too long and complicated to read I shall translate it into a single image;

I want that Cake
Feb 17, 2013 10:25 AM

Aug 2012
Incorrect.
Feb 17, 2013 10:35 AM

Nov 2012
Growing up is like Disgaea. Grinding grinding and grinding again. That's why you are here on MAL and Goku i saving the world somewhere again.
Feb 17, 2013 10:50 AM

Apr 2012
"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

-Chili Davis

I'm at level 23 and still act like a teenager. Also, my sense of humor is sometimes that of a 5 year old.
Yeah... I'm all sorts of crazy! :D
Feb 17, 2013 2:44 PM

Sep 2012
This is all you need to know:

You have reached level 80

You have learned the following skills:
Incontinence
Crippling Arthritis
Stories Nobody Wants To Hear
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Feb 17, 2013 3:14 PM

Apr 2012
Uhhh...duh!
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Feb 17, 2013 3:26 PM

Mar 2008
If you're in a position of authority, you can't really afford to always be joking around and taking nothing seriously. Being mature is more of a matter of learning when to be serious, and when not to be.
Feb 17, 2013 6:54 PM

Oct 2012
Lesley_Roberta said:
Most of you WILL decide that anime is for kids and disappear.

You will have chosen wrong.
I love anime and may always do, but the more I watch it the more I realize there are some sensibilities of anime (or maybe Japanese culture in general) that absolutely grates on me, and these tropes are standing out to me more and more like Santa Claus in the middle of summer progressively wearing brighter shades of red until he ends up in bright pink -- which is just weird! From my interactions with those on MAL, it seems a very large segment of anime fans like these aspects of anime for the very reason that I dislike them.

There are several reasons for this that I will accept:
  1. I'm jaded from experience and pessimism.
  2. Anime is for kids and I'm growing out of it, just maybe many of you haven't noticed yet.
  3. The majority of script writers (or manga artists) in anime, or perhaps any commercial media, just plain suck; they lack originality and prefer to lift tried-and-tested techniques from proven works, and eventually the trend becomes noticeable to people looking out for them -- but not to newer fans whom they are trying to attract.

#2 remains a possibility and I won't rule it out. There are exceptions to every rule: most adults would probably not read picture books since they are usually targeted at children, although undoubtedly mature ones might exist. This doesn't mean picture books --as the media in themselves-- are for children, but in more practical usage the state of the picture book media is targeted towards children. Just the same, there are some anime with very mature subject matters, but the aesthetics and sensibilities will usually be targeted at a younger audience who are more idealistic and haven't been worn down by the experience of the world.

Case in point, for anyone that has played the anime-like JRPG Star Ocean: The Last Hope, is it strange that I find Deputy Shimada (the fat guy in the beginning of the game who's neither a main protagonist or antagonist) the most sympathetic character in the entire game? He's the only person that cuts straight to the chase, instead of wasting time preaching and listening to other people preach about nakama power, justice, "natural" evolution, and a bunch of other nonsense. When Lightspeed Kenny tells him it's shameful that he put his own position ahead of the dreams of others, he retorts, "Is that all you have to say?" -- I thought that was the best line in the game. So unlike the MC, Edge, that gets easily flustered and emotional at every little event. Edge is like a carbon copy of 90% of shounen anime leads that just pisses me off nowadays. It didn't piss me off 5-10 years ago though. I've gradually found it to be more and more silly to the point of being completely unrealistic. Reimi is like a carbon copy of the ditzy airheaded insecure female leads that populate 60-75% of anime, right down to the running gag of her overreacting like a little 11 year old girl and slaps the MC. It must be just me... After 10+ years of the same joke, I can't be the only one that tires of it...
katsucatsFeb 17, 2013 6:59 PM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 17, 2013 8:43 PM

Feb 2010
katsucats said:
Lesley_Roberta said:
Most of you WILL decide that anime is for kids and disappear.

I love anime and may always do, but the more I watch it the more I realize there are some sensibilities of anime (or maybe Japanese culture in general) that absolutely grates on me, and these tropes are standing out to me more and more like Santa Claus in the middle of summer progressively wearing brighter shades of red until he ends up in bright pink -- which is just weird! From my interactions with those on MAL, it seems a very large segment of anime fans like these aspects of anime for the very reason that I dislike them.

There are several reasons for this that I will accept:
  1. I'm jaded from experience and pessimism.
  2. Anime is for kids and I'm growing out of it, just maybe many of you haven't noticed yet.
  3. The majority of script writers (or manga artists) in anime, or perhaps any commercial media, just plain suck; they lack originality and prefer to lift tried-and-tested techniques from proven works, and eventually the trend becomes noticeable to people looking out for them -- but not to newer fans whom they are trying to attract.

#2 remains a possibility and I won't rule it out. There are exceptions to every rule: most adults would probably not read picture books since they are usually targeted at children, although undoubtedly mature ones might exist. This doesn't mean picture books --as the media in themselves-- are for children, but in more practical usage the state of the picture book media is targeted towards children. Just the same, there are some anime with very mature subject matters, but the aesthetics and sensibilities will usually be targeted at a younger audience who are more idealistic and haven't been worn down by the experience of the world.

Case in point, for anyone that has played the anime-like JRPG Star Ocean: The Last Hope, is it strange that I find Deputy Shimada (the fat guy in the beginning of the game who's neither a main protagonist or antagonist) the most sympathetic character in the entire game? He's the only person that cuts straight to the chase, instead of wasting time preaching and listening to other people preach about nakama power, justice, "natural" evolution, and a bunch of other nonsense. When Lightspeed Kenny tells him it's shameful that he put his own position ahead of the dreams of others, he retorts, "Is that all you have to say?" -- I thought that was the best line in the game. So unlike the MC, Edge, that gets easily flustered and emotional at every little event. Edge is like a carbon copy of 90% of shounen anime leads that just pisses me off nowadays. It didn't piss me off 5-10 years ago though. I've gradually found it to be more and more silly to the point of being completely unrealistic. Reimi is like a carbon copy of the ditzy airheaded insecure female leads that populate 60-75% of anime, right down to the running gag of her overreacting like a little 11 year old girl and slaps the MC. It must be just me... After 10+ years of the same joke, I can't be the only one that tires of it...

I've said this before and I'll say it again: we don't like anime. We like shows. You, me, and a lot of others don't stick around for this long (oh hai 6 year vet here) liking everything. There might have been new car smell when we got into it but now it's just habit and something familiar to us.
Feb 17, 2013 10:25 PM

Jul 2011
Another I'm 50 thread. Been awhile since Ive seen one of these. Welcome back to MAL.

Feb 18, 2013 3:15 AM
May 2009
No it really isn't. If a child grows up being spoilt, they will be a spoilt adult child.

Only by facing difficult obstacles can we gain experience.
Feb 18, 2013 4:52 AM

Aug 2012
Feb 19, 2013 3:52 PM

Feb 2012
Lesley_Roberta said:
You kids will have largely grown up surrounded by games and no doubt you love going up a level. It means you got better.

More power, more abilities, and everyone not as high a level as you is not your equal.

Life is not the same :)

I am 50th level and I am not better than you. Merely closer to the end of the game.

You might experience a moment when you wish to 'move on' from stuff like anime. See ya, hope you enjoy life, there's nothing thrilling enough about maturity though to merit giving up anime.
Being called 'immature' it says nothing other than it states yo think being serious is better than playing.

Look back at the kids around you, do you honestly think you will be having more fun than they are?
They are not worried about life's serious crap.

If I have learned anything in my life, it is that it is a BAD idea to grow up.
I have no desire to be like the people of my age group.
They are serious, dangerous boring and often miserable people.

They grew up.
They likely make comments like 'isn't that for kids?'.
They don't realize they screwed up, they chose poorly.

I hae been watching anime since about 95. I have liked watching it in 2000, and in 2005 and in 2010. I expect to be enjoying it in 2015 too. It takes you about 5 years to go from 'kid' to 'adult'. From 15 year old, to 20 year old. Most of you WILL decide that anime is for kids and disappear.

I have been liking my anime now for the equal of almost 4 complete cycles of teenagers.

Make the right choice. Don't stop being a kid.

Wise!
In my opinion it is better to be a kid than a teenager.Or at least a childish adult.
You should try to take the best of all ages.
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

May 26, 2021 11:40 PM
Dec 2020
TsukikageRan said:
Words of wisdom, neh?

words of wisdom indeed
iiiiiindeed
May 26, 2021 11:45 PM

May 2016
It is more like the opposite.
Getting older is worse in 99% of ways. Your body starts at max lvl when you are a kid than slowly loses a level every year.

And you say "Merely closer to the end of the game."

Like how fuck that is depressing.

Doesn't sound like a game I wanna play
May 26, 2021 11:53 PM

Oct 2020
I don't want to get old. It's hard to picture myself being 30+ and i'm sure things are gonna get a whole lot worse
May 27, 2021 12:17 AM

Feb 2016
Damn I'm 20 and I don't even know what my future is for me.
May 27, 2021 12:57 AM
Jan 2020
Well, just be glad you aren't dead yet
May 27, 2021 3:49 AM

Feb 2021
Yeesh, people were really rude in this thread.
May 27, 2021 4:03 AM

Jul 2015
Equating age with leveling-up is weird. You level-up when you gain experience. If you sit on your couch until 80yo you'll stay lvl1 all your life.

These days I'm leveling up my guitar skills. No regrets.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

44 by Vampire_Lord »»
39 seconds ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

25 by deg »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

30 by deg »»
38 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

32 by Spunkert »»
46 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

12 by LoveLikeBlood »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.