Forum Settings
Forums

Pffft, stop pretending, you don't really like the taste of sushi.

New
Do you consider sushi one of your favorite foods?
Yes
44.4%
No
49.4%
I just like to make bets on who can eat more wasabi!
6.2%
775 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (16) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »
May 5, 2010 5:14 PM

Apr 2010
I enjoy sushi.
It is in fact one of my favorite foods and I don't like it because I like anime and manga.
I have respect for Japanese culture, but even if it wasn't Japanese, I would still love it.But it does bother me too when people claim they like something Japanese, when they only like it because they like anime.

I don't think the fondness for anime should have anything to do with liking Japanese food.
I am Asian and my mother cooks real Chinese and Vietnamese food for me, so maybe that is why I enjoy it so much.
And I normally do not eat very salty or sugary foods, so I truly do enjoy the flavor of fish, rice, and seaweed by itself as opposed to having a lot of seasoning.
Sometimes I even eat just plain seaweed paper and rice paper(used for springrolls) as a snack.
I suppose it's because I have that type of taste for food that I enjoy it.
And as for the soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi sides:
I am asian, hence I love soy sauce.
I love sour things, hence I love pickled ginger.
I like the unique 'quick spicyness' of wasabi, hence wasabi is the bomb!
May 5, 2010 9:38 PM

Jan 2009
I enjoy the american version, I don't know, it's like nigiri/maki rolls or something like that. I sometimes eat actual sushi how it should be made, prefferably unagi and shrimp. It's healthy too and I do find some of it to be very enjoyable.

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

May 6, 2010 6:00 AM

Jan 2010
sushi is yummy, and besides, its the only fish i can eat.
May 6, 2010 6:09 AM

Jul 2009
WhiteAbyss said:
sushi is yummy, and besides, its the only fish i can eat.

Sushi isn't a fish -_-"
It's rice with fish with seaweed.
Usually.
あらあら。。。^^
May 6, 2010 8:19 AM

Dec 2008
Sotoriel said:
But what bothers me even more than the fact that everyone "loves" sushi is that they always call sashimi, kimbap, and maki rolls "sushi" as well. I mean, come on, really?

No idea what kimbap is and I can agree that sashimi is not the same as sushi, but maki rolls are a type of sushi o_O;
May 6, 2010 9:57 PM

May 2008
I don't really like to eat sushi, but I like eating salmon sashimi (they're somehow different, right?) but I also like eating california maki rolls.
May 7, 2010 2:25 AM
Nov 2009
As a vegan I've only ever tried vegetarian sushi and inari, but absolutely!!! It's delicious!

Seriously, Inari or death *drools*.

May 7, 2010 2:32 AM

Jul 2009
Aeterna said:
Sotoriel said:
But what bothers me even more than the fact that everyone "loves" sushi is that they always call sashimi, kimbap, and maki rolls "sushi" as well. I mean, come on, really?

No idea what kimbap is and I can agree that sashimi is not the same as sushi, but maki rolls are a type of sushi o_O;

Kimbap is the korean version of sushi except it usually doesn't have fish in it.
Might suit your taste better if you don't like fish
あらあら。。。^^
May 10, 2010 5:49 AM

May 2009
No (your vote)

noodles is the best.. :3
May 10, 2010 11:12 AM

May 2010
Well, I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat sushi.
May 10, 2010 2:17 PM

Aug 2009
i love sushi. just went to an all you can eat sushi bar the other day. loved it.
May 10, 2010 2:45 PM
May 2010
I'm not obsessed with Japan. Frankly the behaviours and choices of Japan in many different areas turns me away from it. I do like Sushi though. I'm not a huge fan of wasabi, but I like it as well.

Sushi is not flavourless. Frankly, if you believe it is, you need to make sure you have your full sense of taste.

If Sushi is flavourless, the colours let off by fire are dull.
May 12, 2010 6:28 AM

Apr 2009
SireDrrr said:

I tried miso soup before though, I didn't really like the taste of it...
approved.
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head.

Put your wishes into the memories you do not want to forget.

May 12, 2010 6:35 AM

Jan 2009
i love all sushi
I'd like tossing your salad.-"Yuru"/MMMKD
DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM MOTHERFUCKER?-SophieWophie<3
May 12, 2010 3:31 PM

Apr 2010
Kimbap is made with regular rice-not sticky vinegar rice.
And the rolls are larger and somewhat thinner.
They usually have eggs and pickled veges in it.
Sometimes when I have little bits of leftovers here and there and some white rice, I make kimbap with it. Really good! :)
May 12, 2010 5:01 PM

Nov 2009
Sushi...is an acquired taste, like alcohol.
So, as a result of many buffet visits, I love it.
But definitely a Whopper over all you can eat sushi any day.

May 12, 2010 5:06 PM

Jun 2009
Man, I love Sushi, it so absolutely tasty. One of my top favorite foods. I also like Wasabi. Tho strong, it definately has an interesting taste when combined with the sushi. I think it definately an acquired taste tho.
May 12, 2010 5:08 PM

Dec 2009
I love seafood, but hate Suchi. Augh.
May 12, 2010 8:00 PM

Mar 2010
Sushi? Actually, I love Japanese food in general, and my favourite is actually grilled salmon.
Oct 21, 2010 3:52 PM

Feb 2009
It tastes like styrofoam... Ugh. Seriously, I've tried a couple different types and each time I have literally gagged it back up and spat it out.

How can people eat that willingly?
Oct 21, 2010 4:04 PM

Jan 2008
I don't really know if I hate sushi (never tried), but since I can't stand both seafood and rice, I probably won't end up liking it.

Oct 21, 2010 4:56 PM

Jun 2010
Honestly, it depends on what kind it is. I hate rolls that have shrimp or urchin, but I would totally push my face into some eel or salmon sushi, especially if it includes that tiny smelt roe. Not a big fan of those fat salmon eggs, though.
Oct 21, 2010 5:09 PM

Oct 2010
Sushi tastes really, really good with duck sauce.
It depends what kind you're eating though. There are some I really don't like, some I think are meh and sort of flavorless and a lot that taste wonderful. Spicy rolls are my personal favorite
Oct 21, 2010 5:10 PM

Oct 2010
English/American sushi is not very good. Japanese sushi, however... I'm a bigger fan of that than anime. Not all types, of course. Uni (urchin) makes me gag, and raw, whole squids are just rough. Ikura (the salmon eggs) blow, as do most things made with fish eggs other than tarako used in hot dishes.
http://www.accessj.com
The real deal on Japan.
News and information for visitors, ex-pats and prospective workers.
Oct 21, 2010 5:59 PM

Jan 2010
I've never eaten sushi.. o_O
Oct 21, 2010 6:22 PM
Mar 2010
i like sushi. a lot of people dislike it, so whatevz.
that + soy sause. mmmmmmmmmmwdmsmamdmmm

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Oct 21, 2010 6:26 PM

Feb 2008
Akimoto_Kimura said:
speaking of this, what the fuck is duck sauce anyways, do they grind the duck into liquid or something

i dont like most sushi, its not bad but i would never be like 'YO GUYS, LETS GO EAT OUT AT THAT SUSHI PLACE THIS FRIDAY', i like the raw salmon things on the square rice, dont know if thats considered sushi
Oct 21, 2010 6:37 PM

May 2010
Funny topic title.

Nah, I been liking sushi, holmes. I don't even like anime as much as I like sushi; I'm a casual anime fan, but I love me some sushi. I just wish it was cheaper.

$60 US for a sushi lunch for two? Gotdang!
Oct 21, 2010 6:45 PM

May 2010
When I was a child, I hated raw salmon. Yeah, I know, most children love it, but not me. It took me a long time to get used to it.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 21, 2010 6:49 PM

Oct 2010
CottonCandyLover said:
Akimoto_Kimura said:
i like the raw salmon things on the square rice, dont know if thats considered sushi

Duck sauce is actually plum sauce (unless ccl was referring to something else).

Salmon nigiri is definately sushi.
http://www.accessj.com
The real deal on Japan.
News and information for visitors, ex-pats and prospective workers.
Oct 21, 2010 6:53 PM

Sep 2010
Sushi's definitely one of my favorite foods. Whenever my wife and I get a chance to go out on a date, we normally go eat sushi. Mmmm...spicy tuna...

I don't like wasabi or ginger very much, though. :P
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker
Oct 21, 2010 7:27 PM

Jul 2007
Sushi is delicious. There is nothing like slurping fresh maguro. Granted, I'm also a total slut for seafood.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Oct 21, 2010 7:32 PM

Aug 2010
i love sushi. when was sushi ever plain?! there is always flavor.
not a big fan of seafood, but i love sushi.

and being an anime fan has nothing to do with me loving sushi.
Oct 21, 2010 7:38 PM

Dec 2008
iciclepop said:
and being an anime fan has nothing to do with me loving sushi.

Believe it or not, most anime/Japan fans have a preference for Japanese food over everything else. I do think there's some connection there.
Oct 21, 2010 7:43 PM

Sep 2009
I'd say sushi and sashimi is not my idea of Japanese food. Cooked seafood is good tho.
Tondemonai Fansubs
http://tondemonaifs.wordpress.com/
Big bag of loli desktop accessories
http://brigade.baka-wolf.com/showthread.php?t=15413

Oct 21, 2010 8:23 PM

Aug 2009
I only like American sushi.
Oct 21, 2010 8:31 PM

Aug 2010
I'm definitely not a fan of sushi.
Oct 21, 2010 8:45 PM
Jun 2010
hikky said:
Is it just me, or do anime fans seem to have a coincidental affinity for sushi?

I can understand thinking it doesn't taste bad or maybe even tastes good, but when something as relatively flavorless as sushi becomes one of your favorite foods, something's up. I have to wonder if the same people wouldn't find any other combination of raw fish, rice, and seaweed to be disgusting or flavorless.

So, who else here does NOT consider sushi to be a wonderful and delicious food, presumably just because they are obsessed with Japan due to anime?

sushi is great no matter how it's served. and what the OP said made NO SENSE, how the hell does enjoying anime and manga affect ur taste buds?

and on a related note, people like sushi because they like the taste of it. just because it isnt full of trans fat and artificial flavors or served in McDonalds doesnt mean that it's inedible. also, people tend to think sushi = raw fish.... NO, there r MANY different kinds of sushi. some just contain rice and meat such as beef
Oct 21, 2010 9:41 PM

Jun 2009
I love sushi! My liking anime has absolutely no influence on this, it's just good stuff. My love of seafood, on the other hand, might have some influence. Just a bit.

Eel especially is the best food on the planet. When it's cooked just right, to be warm and soft, but still retain its uncooked flavor, and it just dissolves in your mouth into a delicious slurry of deliciousness... ooooh, man. It's better than crack. You can have your sweets and candies, I want eel!

Seriously, though, I have never in my life had any food I liked more than good eel. Not perfectly cooked steak, nor my mother's chocolate chip cookies, nor the best BBQ I've ever had. Nothing beats good eel.

Also, sashimi is better than sushi.

A lot Japanese foods, though, are disgusting. I've tried mochi before, for instance, and it is nasty stuff. It tastes like raw bread dough.
Oct 21, 2010 10:18 PM
May 2009
I love sushi. Delicious. Even on its own (by that I really mean sashimi) it tastes good. Although soy sauce and ginger make it a whole lot better. Salmon being my favorite.

Oh, and it had nothing to do with watching anime.
Oct 21, 2010 11:06 PM

Dec 2008
cakeisthesauce said:

sushi is great no matter how it's served. and what the OP said made NO SENSE, how the hell does enjoying anime and manga affect ur taste buds?

Do we really need to explain...?

Anime fans love anime.
Anime is Japanese culture.
Anime fans love Japanese culture.
Sushi is part of Japanese culture.
Anime fan must love Sushi.

Basically, anime fans will love sushi no matter how it's served. You see it now?
Oct 22, 2010 12:19 AM

Sep 2009
aniem fan =/= japanophile
Tondemonai Fansubs
http://tondemonaifs.wordpress.com/
Big bag of loli desktop accessories
http://brigade.baka-wolf.com/showthread.php?t=15413

Oct 22, 2010 12:31 AM

Oct 2007
sushi is good. but i'd usually prefer a japanese steak

life is a dream
~death is reality
Oct 22, 2010 12:42 AM

Jun 2010
I really like sushi but that is because i'm a great fan of seafood. Feed me anything that has lived in a sea and you make me a happy woman :"D
Oct 22, 2010 12:46 AM

May 2008
Oh, it's this old topic.
Personally, no amount of anime would make me like Nattou. But I like Sushi.
And there's nothing wrong with wanting to like the taste of something because it's from a culture you're interested in. Tastes in food are not something you're born with, and there's nothing wrong with trying to like a food, and it's a very achievable endeavor. Believe it or not, the sugar pill of being a "Japanophile" can make you like the taste of something you normally wouldn't.

I like Sushi because the combination of Soy Sauce and Wasabi on that so called flavourless meat and rice tastes strangely exquisite. And for so called being flavorless, I taste a lot of difference in the kind of meat that it's on. For instance, Salmon is by far my favorite. Though I wouldn't want to eat any raw fish by itself.

Just that combination, of white sticky rice, raw salmon, and the perfect combination of soy sauce and wasabi, is something I love more than a lot of foods and would easily love to eat until I'm full.

However, overall, they are not my favorite Japanese foods. And they're also expensive, even for Japanese people. My favorite Japanese foods are Udon, Dango, and Sukiyaki.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 22, 2010 2:25 AM
Apr 2010
I don't like sushi. But that doesn't mean I won't eat it, unless it has seafood (ie. most sushi). I mainly tolerate it because I have a ridiculous love of rice.

I like most other Japanese food, with my favorites being Ramen, Yakitori, and Nikuman.
Oct 22, 2010 6:58 AM

Jul 2010
Not quite into fish.:P

Oct 22, 2010 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
I like sushi :D

Probably because my Dad occationaly has raw tuna steak with a soy sauce and wasabi dip. yum :P
Oct 22, 2010 7:14 AM

Nov 2009
I don't enjoy sushi or seafood much. I'm more of a meat and potatoes type of guy, I find it hard to eat other foods, even though I would like to have more variety >_<

Hopefully someday I will grow out of it, and be able to eat more types of food.
Oct 22, 2010 7:39 AM

Sep 2010
From what I've tried, which isn't much, sushi has too much leaf not enough meat for my tastes.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (16) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.