Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever missed out on a chance to approach/talk to a girl/guy?

New
Jan 17, 2013 4:51 PM

Oct 2012
I was at a Shoppers drug mart store the other day, and as I walked inside, right in front of me was this stunning, sexy and gorgeous girl. I was definitely caught off guard. She was about 96% my type.

From what I saw, she was also my age range. (16-18) I've seen many gorgeous/pretty girls in my lifetime, but man, this one was a serious head turner. I would say that she ranks up in my top 5. In fact, It was like she just walked right out of a "Vogue magazine. But... she wasnt giving anyone attention and looked stuck up, and most likely is, considering how smoking-hot/attractive she is. Also, she was turning everybody's heads even the old ladies'.! I try really hard not to be too" intimidated by super hot girls, because I know that beauty is on the inside, and looks are just only looks, everyone eventually gets old and wrinkly, but it was really hard not to be distracted/caught off guard to her.

Whenever I see/approach an attractive hot/cute girl, right away, I always assume that she is out of my league, and I know i'm being stupid/insecure about myself, I will never approach them because I know straight off the bat 100% that I will get rejected, so I always save myself the embarassment. But of course, I would have loved to talk to this girl! Unfortunately, the drug store was pretty busy, and I just can't be following her.

There is no possible way that she would give me her time-of-day with me just "dressed down" in my baggy jeans, sandals, and fedora.

So MAL, what are your experiences with girls? Have you ever missed out on a chance to talk to a girl because you were too shy/unsecure or thought she was definitely out of your league?

Moderator edit: Changed topic to appeal to both sexes.
Also, please no "alpha" trolling anymore. It will not be tolerated.
Star_BoyMay 20, 2015 3:02 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 17, 2013 4:55 PM

Oct 2012
I don't really miss out on opportunities, more like I'm too lazy to pursue it.
ShoryuJan 17, 2013 5:00 PM

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 17, 2013 4:56 PM

Jun 2008
96% huh? Not 98% or 97%?
Lets be honest, this shit never happened, am 96% sure of that, not because is unbelievable but because you love making threads and you will make little stories like this as an opener so you can make threads.

Also you topic is stupid. Who the fuck hasn't missed a chance to approach a girl? maybe not specifically from shyness but for one reason or another. Only a guy that never got out of his room since birth.
What's the point in asking?
Jan 17, 2013 4:56 PM

Oct 2012
Tavor said:
I don't really miss out on opportunities, more like I'm too lazy to purse it.

So girls showed interest in you, but you were too lazy to acknowlege it?
Jan 17, 2013 4:58 PM

Oct 2012
Monad said:
96% huh? Not 98% or 97%?
Lets be honest, this shit never happened, am 96% sure of that, not because is unbelievable but because you love making threads and you will make little stories like this as an opener so you make threads.

Also you topic is stupid. Who the fuck hasn't missed a chance to approach a girl. Only a guy that never got out of his room since birth.

It did happen! I was just exaggerrating the story a little, and making it more interesting to read with the 96% stuff.

Like who doesn't see attractive girls in public?

And dude, it happens. People miss out all the time. Alot of people (like me) are too scared/nervous to approach girls and end up missiing out. Your Telling me this never happens to anyone? Yeah right.

You seem upset for some reason. What's wrong? Having a bad day?
Star_BoyJan 17, 2013 5:35 PM
Jan 17, 2013 4:59 PM

Nov 2011
Tavor said:
I don't really miss out on opportunities, more like I'm too lazy to purse it.

I've had tons of chances, but when they come I'm too fucking stupid to realize it. It's getting to the point where my friends always ask me 'Why don't you have a girlfriend?' and they begin listing chances I've had and never took.

For ex: Girl tries to give me her number, somehow I magically reject it, or a friend tells me that a girl likes me and wants to help set me up I think 'haha funny joke man' and so-on.

I'm like a beta in an alpha's body. BLOOD HELP ME.
RagixJan 17, 2013 5:04 PM
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jan 17, 2013 5:00 PM

Jun 2008
Danielcook said:
Monad said:
96% huh? Not 98% or 97%?
Lets be honest, this shit never happened, am 96% sure of that, not because is unbelievable but because you love making threads and you will make little stories like this as an opener so you make threads.

Also you topic is stupid. Who the fuck hasn't missed a chance to approach a girl. Only a guy that never got out of his room since birth.

It did happen! I was just exaggerrating the story a little, with the 96% stuff.

Like who doesn't see attractive girls in public?

No i don't qualify a girl passing on the other side of the street as a chance.
Jan 17, 2013 5:00 PM

Aug 2012
More girlfriend threads! Man Danielcook-san, man.
Tavor said:
I don't really miss out on opportunities, more like I'm too lazy to pursue it.
That, and I have other priorities at the moment.

I should have a funny gif ready, but man. Stop obsessing over girls already!
Jan 17, 2013 5:03 PM

Oct 2012
Ragix said:

Ah, thank you for that, need to give this Auto-correct some punishment now >:C

@DanielCook
Not exactly sure what you mean. What I meant is that I have the opportunity to approach someone I like (even though I have a feeling this particular girl likes me as well), but I'm also just too lazy to seize the opportunity.

Jan 17, 2013 5:04 PM

Oct 2012
Monad said:

Alot of people meet each other in public and become very close friends/couples you know.
Tavor said:

Yeah!

You never know right? That girl could have been your wife! If only you had approached her, had a good conversation, and got her number (alot of people manage to be successful doing that)
Ragix said:

Sounds like a dude from a romance anime/manga.
TachiiJan 17, 2013 5:17 PM
Jan 17, 2013 5:08 PM

Jun 2012
Danielcook said:

"Im a girl, but based on my experience with guys, etc. "

Something like that.

To answer the topic, I just don't bother approaching anyone with flirtatious intentions assuming I've got the intent of the title right. On the other hand, the feelings come to me when I least expect it, so to speak.

Akito_KinomotoJan 17, 2013 5:19 PM
Jan 17, 2013 5:09 PM

Jun 2008
^ I can edit this topic to be about both genders.

Daniel, stop double/triple posting. Edit your responses, or just reply with @<insert username>.

Please.
Jan 17, 2013 5:11 PM

Oct 2012
Danielcook said:

Yeah!

You never know right? That girl could have been your wife! If only you had approached her, had a good conversation, and got her number (alot of people manage to be successful doing that)

We're just friends. I suppose I meant approach her as in a girlfriend/boyfriend relationship.

Also, haven't really heard many successful stories about high school couples staying strong past high school in marriage.

Jan 17, 2013 5:12 PM

Oct 2012
Tachii said:
^ I can edit this topic to be about both genders.

Daniel, stop double/triple posting. Edit your responses, or just reply with @<insert username>.

Please.

My bad!

I'm sorry, it will never happen again!

@Ressurected just post your reply to these types of threads with an opener like:

"Im a girl, but based on my experience with guys, etc. "

Something like that.
Jan 17, 2013 5:21 PM
May 2012
Bro tips

Danielcook said:
she wasnt giving anyone attention and looked stuck up, and most likely is considering how smoking-hot/attractive she is.

You don't know this girl, or what's going on with her that day/whatever, don't be so judgemental. Plus, you're really just trying to talk yourself out of manning up and saying hello.

Danielcook said:

Whenever I see/approach an attractive hot/cute girl and right away, I always assume that she is out of my league, and I know i'm being stupid/insecure about myself, I will never approach them because I know straight off the bat 100% that I will get rejected

You're just talking yourself out of manning up. And honestly, even if you get rejected, it's a win/win. You had the guts to walk up to a hot girl(more than 90% of guys), and you can just move on to the thousands of other cute girls in the world who may actually like you, no need to beat yourself up if a girl doesn't like you, she has that right, just move on.

Danielcook said:
Unfortunately, the drug store was pretty busy, and I just can't be following her.

Excuse.

Danielcook said:

There is no possible way that she would give me her time-of-day with me just "dressed down" in my baggy sweatpants, running shoes, and hoody sweater.

You'd be surprised.

Danielcook said:

So MAL, what are your experiences with girls? Have you ever missed out on a chance to talk to a girl because you were too shy/unsecure or thought she was definitely out of your league?

I've talked myself out of SO MANY GIRLS. It takes practice to change your mindset about rejection. Just gotta get out there more.
Jan 17, 2013 5:31 PM

Oct 2012
JeremyA said:
Bro tips

Danielcook said:
she wasnt giving anyone attention and looked stuck up, and most likely is considering how smoking-hot/attractive she is.

You don't know this girl, or what's going on with her that day/whatever, don't be so judgemental. Plus, you're really just trying to talk yourself out of manning up and saying hello.

Danielcook said:

Whenever I see/approach an attractive hot/cute girl and right away, I always assume that she is out of my league, and I know i'm being stupid/insecure about myself, I will never approach them because I know straight off the bat 100% that I will get rejected

You're just talking yourself out of manning up. And honestly, even if you get rejected, it's a win/win. You had the guts to walk up to a hot girl(more than 90% of guys), and you can just move on to the thousands of other cute girls in the world who may actually like you, no need to beat yourself up if a girl doesn't like you, she has that right, just move on.

Danielcook said:
Unfortunately, the drug store was pretty busy, and I just can't be following her.

Excuse.

Danielcook said:

There is no possible way that she would give me her time-of-day with me just "dressed down" in my baggy sweatpants, running shoes, and hoody sweater.

You'd be surprised.

Danielcook said:

I've talked myself out of SO MANY GIRLS. It takes practice to change your mindset about rejection. Just gotta get out there more.

Thanks for the tips.

It actually made me feel better about things. Especially the second one.

I know most of it is self-explanatory/common sense, but it is hard to remind yourself, especially in a tense, unexpected, random encounter like that, its like you are not thinking as rationally and inflicted with so many other concerns/insecurities. I need to work on that.
Jan 17, 2013 5:36 PM

Nov 2012
Who hasn’t... Hell I’ll talk the ears off a deaf person if they’ll give me half a chance...
Jan 17, 2013 5:38 PM

Apr 2012
From now on I will post this image in every thread you make.

As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 17, 2013 5:47 PM

Mar 2011
OMG! Talking to an attractive member of the opposite sex! What an opportunity!!

Seriously?
Jan 17, 2013 5:49 PM

Oct 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:

Seriously?

If you are already infatuated with someone, that's already an opportunity right there.
Jan 17, 2013 5:53 PM

Mar 2011
Danielcook said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

Seriously?

If you are already infatuated with someone, that's already an opportunity right there.

Unless they are in a club or some such place suggesting that they are in the mood, then why should they be worth my time?

Unless of course they were really really really really really attractive, no, in fact, if they fitted my tastes exactly, then I probably would, but that hasn't happened in my life, and I doubt it ever will.
Jan 17, 2013 5:57 PM

Oct 2012
MaedhrostheTall said:
This is embarrassing just to scroll through.

Not at all.

Most of the MAL community is pretty open, so unless you like to keep to yourself, or you are really insecure, we're not embarassed at all, Nuh uh.
Jan 17, 2013 5:58 PM

Aug 2011
A girl dropped her books in front of me, I just watch as she picked them up slowly.
I think she was expecting me to help her. Oops.
Jan 17, 2013 6:02 PM

Oct 2012
NihonFalcom said:
A girl dropped her books in front of me, I just watch as she picked them up slowly.
I think she was expecting me to help her. Oops.

You're a jerk. Not a gentleman at all.

Was she cute btw?
Jan 17, 2013 6:03 PM

Mar 2011
I just find it bizarre that people think "Oh look at that attractive person! IF ONLY I COULD TALK TO THEM" or something along those lines.

What I'm saying is that unless they were incredibly notable I can't understand why someone would think talking to an attractive person is an opportunity of note.
Jan 17, 2013 6:05 PM

Oct 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
I just find it bizarre that people think "Oh look at that attractive person! IF ONLY I COULD TALK TO THEM" or something along those lines.

What I'm saying is that unless they were incredibly notable I can't understand why someone would think talking to an attractive person is an opportunity of note.

You're just a guy that values personality/worthiness over looks.
Jan 17, 2013 6:06 PM

Dec 2011
Been a while since I roam around these forums and I find this topic after feeling exactly like I may have missed an opportunity.

It was yesterday and I definitely felt like we both tried to keep the conversation going. Eventually she said something I didn't quite get from all the noise around us and she just kept on like as if she didn't say anything after I asked her what she had said.

I'll likely run into her again since she works where I buy my groceries all the time, but boy does it feel like a huge missed opportunity.
Jan 17, 2013 6:07 PM

Jun 2011
You tell me. A very hot girl I liked moved to my school. It was painfully obvious that she wanted to talk to me. But I gave her the cold shoulder. Even though I liked her.
Jan 17, 2013 6:11 PM

Oct 2012
Ryatt said:
Been a while since I roam around these forums and I find this topic after feeling exactly like I may have missed an opportunity.

It was yesterday and I definitely felt like we both tried to keep the conversation going. Eventually she said something I didn't quite get from all the noise around us and she just kept on like as if she didn't say anything after I asked her what she had said.

I'll likely run into her again since she works where I buy my groceries all the time, but boy does it feel like a huge missed opportunity.

Dude, keep us updated, i'm interested.

Wait, so she works at a grocery store? Were you shopping there and met her because she was the cashier or something?

@onedaysnotice:

Omg, I that has happened to me before.
Except that she still goes to my school, and I don't like her anymore.

By the way, why don't you talk to her now? Assuming you still see her at school.
Jan 17, 2013 6:31 PM

Oct 2012
BloodRequiem said:
From now on I will post this image in every thread you make.

Alien dude never fails me.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jan 17, 2013 6:32 PM

Mar 2012
I think feeling required or obligated to try and talk to strangers you're attracted to is a teenage/ young adult phenomenon. I'm not trying to make you or anyone feel bad, but it is a pathetic outlook, if you really think about it. Eventually though, I'm sure everyone stops seeing random encounters as "opportunities" and starts seeing them as what they are.

I also imagine that this is mostly a heterosexual male thing, because of the whole "game" mentality. Would be interested in knowing what people not in this group have to say.
JoshJan 17, 2013 6:37 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 17, 2013 6:35 PM

Oct 2012
Post-Josh said:
I think feeling required or obligated to try and talk to strangers you're attracted to is a teenage/ young adult phenomenon. Eventually you'll stop seeing random encounters as opportunities and you'll start seeing them as what they are.

I also imagine that this is mostly a heterosexual male thing, because of the whole "game" mentality. Would be interested in knowing what people not in this group have to say.

Have to say that after reading "The Game", I felt discouraged or less determined to have that mentality of "oh look, a hot girl, have to approach her" kind of deal. I know that book is supposed to 'help' in regard to picking up random strangers, but all those stories accounted for, seems less appealing to me to be honest.
ShoryuJan 17, 2013 6:39 PM

Jan 17, 2013 6:39 PM

Mar 2012
"The Game" is near the top of my To Not Read list, haha. The title alone is enough to make me shudder with second-hand embarrassment.
LoneWolf said:
Jan 17, 2013 6:40 PM

Oct 2012
Post-Josh said:
"The Game" is near the top of my To Not Read list, haha. The title alone is enough to make me shudder with second-hand embarrassment.

Yeah, stay away from it. Curiosity killed the cat.

Jan 17, 2013 6:41 PM

Mar 2011
Danielcook said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

You're just a guy that values personality/worthiness over looks.

I don't think that's true really, at the very least it's certainly not why I find it bizarre.
Jan 17, 2013 6:41 PM

Dec 2011
Danielcook said:

Dude, keep us updated, i'm interested.

Wait, so she works at a grocery store? Were you shopping there and met her because she was the cashier or something?

Yeah she works there, right across the street from my community. I go there all the time, and I've seen her a couple of times before. Not as often as other people who work there, maybe part-time. The grocery store here has like a small area where they make fresh sandwiches and she was the one making it.

She had cut her finger slightly earlier I guess and since I asked for jalapeños it started to burn. Conversation kinda went from there, then eventually it got a little loud as things got interesting, and when I asked her what she had said, she just asked me what else I wanted.
Jan 17, 2013 6:55 PM

Oct 2009
Monad said:
96% huh? Not 98% or 97%?
Lets be honest, this shit never happened, am 96% sure of that, not because is unbelievable but because you love making threads and you will make little stories like this as an opener so you can make threads.

Also you topic is stupid. Who the fuck hasn't missed a chance to approach a girl? maybe not specifically from shyness but for one reason or another. Only a guy that never got out of his room since birth.

u mad son?
Jan 17, 2013 7:15 PM

Oct 2012
Sukha said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

Yeah I'm the same, I have approached girls but they were all in anime conventions xD And it's not hard at all, I don't think "uhm, should I talk to her?", I just start the conversation saying exactly what I'm thinking, last time was: "Wow, you are the most beautiful Sakura cosplayer I have ever seen! I love Tsubasa Chronicles and you look great in Sakura's dress! Btw the details of the dress are awesome, did you make them?"
I have never been rejected, girls in anime conventions are really cool, they are all very open to talk

Its because girls expect guys to say that to them when they cosplay at conventions!

I know this one girl cosplayer who has an inferiority complex, its like she need guys to complement her/say she is beautiful for her to feel better about herself..
Jan 17, 2013 7:17 PM
May 2012
Post-Josh said:
I think feeling required or obligated to try and talk to strangers you're attracted to is a teenage/ young adult phenomenon

A guy or girl, wanting to talk to a guy/girl that they find attractive is hardly a "phenomenon" at any age, yeah? Unless I am misunderstanding something.

Post-Josh said:
I'm not trying to make you or anyone feel bad, but it is a pathetic outlook, if you really think about it.

In your opinion, the mindset of a person having a strong desire or obligation to talk to people they find attractive is a pathetic one, but you have to "really think about it" to see the pathetic-ness? I don't understand. Am I not really thinking about this?

Post-Josh said:
Eventually though, I'm sure everyone stops seeing random encounters as "opportunities" and starts seeing them as what they are.

Can every random encounter not be an opportunity? I really don't get this. What are they really?

I'm super interested and enjoy hearing how different people think about things, so let me know. And I promise I won't think your outlook is pathetic.
Jan 17, 2013 7:20 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Yes, willingly.
Jan 17, 2013 7:35 PM

Jun 2012
Op what are you doing with your life
Jan 17, 2013 7:42 PM

Oct 2012
Shuhan said:

Highschool student. Trying to keep up with grades so I can get into the program I want.

I was at shoppers drug mart that day because i needed some cough medicine.
Jan 17, 2013 7:43 PM

Apr 2012
Danielcook said:
Shuhan said:

Highschool student. Trying to keep up with grades so I can get into the program I want.

I was at shoppers drug mart that day because i needed some cough medicine.

Then it's too early to think about picking up girls. Try again when you have a thick and fat
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 17, 2013 7:47 PM

Mar 2012
JeremyA said:
I do think it is a young person phenomenon, for two reasons (I chose the word phenomenon arbitrarily, by the way):

1) It doesn't take into account the other person's feelings. You only consider if you want to talk that person or not, and decide based on that. Adults usually have a better understanding of social interaction, and so are more aware of this. Also older people are more likely to be in a committed relationship, which changes the thought process.

2) The decision is based on looks alone. Most people care about both looks and personality, but young people care more about looks and older people more about personality (generally). In this case, you approach good looking people randomly because you already know they have most of what you're looking for. If you cared about personality a significant amount, approaching every good-looking girl would be extremely inefficient.

It's pathetic for the above reasons. I simply said "if you really think about it" because it's probably less apparent to people who still feel that way. To most adults, I would assume that the pettiness is obvious. I'm using pathetic by its definition, by the way, I don't mean it is an insult.

Every random encounter is a random encounter. A girl sold me groceries, a guy sold me groceries. I don't care. I shouldn't feel like I "missed out" on something for not acting differently towards the girl.
LoneWolf said:
Jan 17, 2013 7:48 PM

Sep 2012
You sound like one of those obnoxious, simple-minded, unrealistically perverted protagonists that appear in harem anime, with only the thought of girls on their mind.

The kind that I find completely annoying don't like at all.
Jan 17, 2013 8:01 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
You sound like one of those obnoxious, simple-minded, unrealistically perverted protagonists that appear in harem anime, with only the thought of girls on their mind.

The kind that I find completely annoying don't like at all.

that's a little too offensive and blunt man.

But i will "try" to take that as a compliment...

Too bad I don't have girls throwing themselves at me. (i wish)
Star_BoyJan 17, 2013 8:13 PM
Jan 17, 2013 8:09 PM

Jul 2012
lung-tao said:
I typically avoid those situations. I generally dislike when people approach me in public with this kind of nonsense.

Uh Oh damn hard to get(note to self avoid lung-tao)
Jan 17, 2013 8:39 PM

Jan 2013
Better to get rejected than to regret it later! Stop bashing OP.. I'm sure you all went through this phase..
Jan 17, 2013 8:46 PM

Aug 2011
lung-tao said:
I typically avoid those situations. I generally dislike when people approach me in public with this kind of nonsense.

Yes, and yes. It gets old.

Jan 17, 2013 9:15 PM

Jun 2011
tfw no gf
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who's the oldest user on MAL? ( 1 2 3 )

Klefki_of_Awsome - May 7, 2020

102 by pillowofwinds »»
2 hours ago

» Do your dress nice? ( 1 2 )

PopArt - Jul 6, 2023

84 by Butterfly_White »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Better to spend 30k/$ on a new car or an anime figure?

Dije - May 3, 2023

47 by Rhae »»
3 hours ago

» Cleaning your room hurts the economy

vasipi4946 - May 25

45 by Noboru »»
3 hours ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

42 by Noboru »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.