Forum Settings
Forums

[Anime&Manga] The bottom of the sea, aka the most underrated anime/manga titles!

New
Dec 9, 2012 8:38 AM
Oct 2012
So far, this club's been almost entirely about overrated animes. So how about underrated ones? You know, those animes/mangas that you recommend to other people. . . but they don't like, for some reason you cant understand?

One of mine is a josei romance called Gold.
I would've never believed I'd ever read something like that, but i did, and i liked it. (Although personally, i'm still wondering why.)
Mihoko-chanJan 26, 2013 1:51 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 9, 2012 4:24 PM

Jun 2012
Hoooo boy, there's plenty of manga that I have that are underrated not only on this site, but among my few friends that actually read manga more than me.

*deep breath*
Date A Live, Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko, Date A Live, D-Frag!, and Yandere Kanojo... to name a few.
Dec 9, 2012 4:57 PM

Sep 2012
Though its not exactly unpopular Toaru majutsu no index is my favorite anime and I think its underated by a lot of people.
Apart from that for anime I'd say Chaos Head, the law of Ueki and the Irresponsible captain Tyler
For manga I think Cage of Eden (rated highly but not highly enough in my opinion) and 20th Century boys which is, while popular, generally overshadowed by the authors other work monster which I thought was much worse (judging by the anime I haven't read the monster manga)
Dec 9, 2012 5:54 PM

Oct 2012
Nearly every anime before 2000's.
Also Nurarihyon No Mago - yeah, a 12-year-old 3/4 human boy will quickly accept to rule a demon clan within 3 episodes. Have some patience, yeesh.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Dec 9, 2012 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
Tarakajima, Treasure Island adaptation. I really loved this anime, it is like older but it has like memorable characters in my opinion and it made the story really enjoyable to watch. It feels like a classic when i watch it and i just have such enjoyment from it.
Dec 12, 2012 6:33 AM

Dec 2012
For manga at least where I am, I recommend Immortal Rain and pretty much no one reads it. It's sad that it gets passed by so easily.

As for animes it seems to be the old ones that my friends don't watch. Like Utena. That one gets passed over by my friends just due to the art of it and the story. I know of one other person that has watched it lol
Dec 23, 2012 5:26 PM
Oct 2012
Oh, I just recently finished some new mangas that aren't too popular, so I have a lot to say atm.

First of all-
flat, by Aogiri Natsu. So cute. Cutest slice of life ever.
Then Olympos and Angel's Doubt, both by Aki.

And iduno about Kurogane (ongoing manga about kendo) and how popular it is, but it doesn't receive the fame it deserves. :c
Dec 23, 2012 6:32 PM

Sep 2012
It seems to me that most of them are not underrated but are just unknown and that unfortunately that would be about 70% of my list...
Dec 23, 2012 9:16 PM
Oct 2012
woahevil1 said:
It seems to me that most of them are not underrated but are just unknown and that unfortunately that would be about 70% of my list...

Agreed.
Dec 24, 2012 3:17 AM
Dec 2008
Shigurui i'd say is not only unknown, but also underrated.
Dec 24, 2012 3:53 AM

Sep 2012
siahvasch said:
Shigurui i'd say is not only unknown, but also underrated.

Lol, disabled sword fighting 4 the win
Jan 5, 2013 8:29 AM

Nov 2012
Piano no Mori, though it's more unnoticed than underrated.
Jan 5, 2013 9:58 AM
Oct 2012
TheJareBox said:

I dropped that a while ago, but it really was good :3

I just have this habit of hating having to wait for new chapters to be released.
._.
Jan 5, 2013 10:56 AM

Jun 2012
ShintakoInari said:
TheJareBox said:

I just have this habit of hating having to wait for new chapters to be released.
._.

>.> you should be like me and put it on hold for like a year and then read all your new chapters
Jan 5, 2013 11:21 AM

Nov 2012
KazukiJurai said:
ShintakoInari said:
TheJareBox said:

._.

>.> you should be like me and put it on hold for like a year and then read all your new chapters

It's not that easy to just put a good manga on hold. You want to know what happens next and you'll just end up reading the new chapters as soon as they're out.
Jan 5, 2013 5:00 PM
Oct 2012
KazukiJurai said:
ShintakoInari said:
TheJareBox said:

._.

When i do things like that, i usually forget about them unless i happen to see them pop up again in MAL.
i generally keep a huge ass list of mangas and animes that i'm reading or watching, so i can keep track of my episodes and chapters. it's too annoying to change it on MAL. D8
Jan 5, 2013 10:08 PM

Jun 2012
ShintakoInari said:

When i do things like that, i usually forget about them unless i happen to see them pop up again in MAL.
i generally keep a huge ass list of mangas and animes that i'm reading or watching, so i can keep track of my episodes and chapters. it's too annoying to change it on MAL. D8

Oh Shunchin, you and your bajillion animu and mungos
Jan 6, 2013 9:10 AM
Oct 2012
KazukiJurai said:

Oh Shunchin, you and your bajillion animu and mungos

i LAiK 2 EET, EET, EET, ENiME AND MENGES
i LAiK 2 OOT, OOT, OOT, ONiMES AND MONGOS
i LAiK 2 ATE, ATE, ATE, ANiMES AND MANGAS,
i LAiK 2 -

i should stop.
Jan 6, 2013 10:11 PM

Sep 2012
Ka ka~ You'll all be surprised at this one, It's probably got to be the most underrated anime with nearly all genre put together, with a story that actually pulls itself okay.

Asura Cryin' 1&2

It's one of my favs and no one really likes it. :/

(PS. I also think Tasogare Otome X Amnesia was also amazing but underrated)
KnightsToFearJan 6, 2013 10:14 PM
Jan 8, 2013 6:56 AM

Jun 2012
Ixion Saga DT.

...why is this show just going under so many people's radar? It's amazing! D:
Jan 8, 2013 7:04 AM

Sep 2012
KazukiJurai said:
Ixion Saga DT.

...why is this show just going under so many people's radar? It's amazing! D:

Person goes into video game, where have I heard that before?
Jan 8, 2013 8:39 AM

Jun 2012
woahevil1 said:

Bitch please, it isn't VR.
Plus it's a billion times better than SAO/Accel World. The humor is well done, the characters are likable... hell, you can't help but even love the "villains"! It's amazing.

>checked out the game it's based on
>waiting for an American release
T-T
Jan 12, 2013 9:54 PM
Dec 2012
I like the anime series Dragonball Z, but i see a lot of people who like it and lots of people who hate it.
Jan 13, 2013 6:29 AM

Sep 2012
KazukiJurai said:

Plus it's a billion times better than SAO/Accel World. The humor is well done, the characters are likable... hell, you can't help but even love the "villains"! It's amazing.

T-T

Another anime to watch :/

IceBlade01 said:
I like the anime series Dragonball Z, but i see a lot of people who like it and lots of people who hate it.

I find dragonball Z is just wayyyyyyy to slow for me
Jan 26, 2013 11:21 AM

Apr 2012
One underrated manga I have seen is bitter virgin and Oni master. Both such underrated mangas with deep in topics.
AnimewolfguyMar 26, 2013 1:05 PM
Jan 27, 2013 10:54 AM

Nov 2012
JOJO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff' said !!!!!
Jan 30, 2013 1:20 PM

Nov 2012
I have alot: Rahxephon, Nadesico, Blue Gender, Zegapain, Utawarerumono, Tears To Tiara, Dear Boys, Fushigi Yuugi, Flame Of Recca.
Jan 30, 2013 3:13 PM

Apr 2012
GenuineAnime said:
I have alot: Rahxephon, Nadesico, Blue Gender, Zegapain, Utawarerumono, Tears To Tiara, Dear Boys, Fushigi Yuugi, Flame Of Recca.

I agree on all of them. I just wish the anime of Fushigi was better instead of worse.
Feb 7, 2013 6:08 AM

Dec 2012
Blood Lad (manga)
The manga is short on 10+ chapters that's not subbed in English(Though it's subbed in Chinese way ahead on English but it's still is not subbed to the latest chapter)
Feb 7, 2013 11:40 PM

Oct 2012
Even though i only watched one ep, Tiger & Bunny. It's not quite your average shonen anime with a highschooler suddenly getting powers, it's a Western-themed anime that involved a daddy who has a job of a superman. You gotta admit, it brings back memories...
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Feb 9, 2013 4:54 PM

Apr 2012
Itermin8rX said:
Even though i only watched one ep, Tiger & Bunny. It's not quite your average shonen anime with a highschooler suddenly getting powers, it's a Western-themed anime that involved a daddy who has a job of a superman. You gotta admit, it brings back memories...

I thought that anime would be well notice but guessing I was wrong.
Feb 11, 2013 12:27 AM

Oct 2012
KazukiJurai said:
woahevil1 said:

T-T

Plus he is not in a game he just get transported by a game to another world not into the game

Feb 14, 2013 4:51 AM

Sep 2012
tracreed said:
KazukiJurai said:
woahevil1 said:

T-T

Plus he is not in a game he just get transported by a game to another world not into the game

Alright you guys made your point, i will watch it -_-
Mar 23, 2013 11:11 AM
Feb 2013
i love the way i share so many anime/mangas with y'all.
ixion saga dt, Jojo, Blood Lad, Tiger & Bunny. . .

Anyway, to re-activate this thread, i'll toss this in-
Shingeki no Kyojin. i mean, it's pretty popular, but nobody i know seems to like it. i think it has something to do with the fact that any friend of mine who has heard of anime/manga likes shoujos and also because the art is kind of crappy. . .
Mar 25, 2013 9:32 PM

Jun 2011
Hanada Shounen-shi

Just imagine Natsume Yuujinchou, but with dick joke and a asshole protagonist. But, it still has everything that made Natsume Yuujinchou good. Likable characters, a fantastic and unique art style, and moments that will make you feel warm inside and moments that will make you cry buckets.

That, and the opening and ending are both Backstreet Boys songs.
Apr 1, 2013 6:34 AM
Jul 2018
lemme tell you about guilty crown son...

If Death Note is "chess", LotGH is "3D Chess." - lisnoire
Code Geass would be Rock-Paper-Scissors in this analogy.
Guilty Crown?
xthedestroyer said:
Go Fish!

nuff said about that.

anyways, i'd say that phantom: requiem for the phantom is pretty unknown. Its a pretty good assassin anime and the ending will throw you for a loop. as well, denpa teki na kanojo doesn't appear on a lot of lists and it is definitely worth the watch, for a 2 episode ova. gauche the cellist is also a pretty nice movie to see, it's actually reminiscent of the old disney movies, but its ghibli through and through. then there's master keaton. definitely the most misleading anime ever. you think its about archaeology. then, you get slice-of-life, adventure, murder mystery, crime, thriller and pretty much any other genre you like. it's unique in the fact that it succeeds where other anime fail when they try to mix genre. this show is just spectacular for that alone, but the stories themselves are awesome.
Oct 9, 2013 7:29 PM

Jan 2013
Serial Experiments Lain for anime and Himizu for manga. Almost everyone who has watched/read has scored them high it's just the fact that both titles are a bit unknown.
Oct 9, 2013 8:01 PM

Jun 2012
AqworldThunder said:
Serial Experiments Lain for anime

Lain... unknown? I'm not sure what world you live in, but Lain is pretty well known.
Nov 23, 2013 4:12 AM

Mar 2012
Kyo Kara Maoh! light novel. I'm not sure why people don't like it or maybe they're just ignoring it because of the shounen-ai tag. It has some good comedy that will make you drop with laughter. Admittedly the volumes after Conrart's betrayal are a bit serious made me fall in love with it even more, but it never fails to amaze me, specially the way Takabayashi-sensei has written them. The anime isn't much popular either.
Beware! Its a shoujo fantasy series, boys might not like it

Toward the Terra is a good anime but unfortunately not many know of it.
Nov 24, 2013 5:49 AM
Feb 2010
All manga from Suzuki Nakabe I guess...
Blizzard Axel
Kongou Banchou
Nanatsu no Taizai
Nanatsu no Taizai Prototype
Rising Impact
Ultra Red
Jan 9, 2014 8:25 PM

Aug 2013
xFangero said:
i love the way i share so many anime/mangas with y'all.
ixion saga dt, Jojo, Blood Lad, Tiger & Bunny. . .

Anyway, to re-activate this thread, i'll toss this in-
Shingeki no Kyojin. i mean, it's pretty popular, but nobody i know seems to like it. i think it has something to do with the fact that any friend of mine who has heard of anime/manga likes shoujos and also because the art is kind of crappy. . .

wow, Snk Had the most annoying fanbase of 2013. it was just as big as SAOs and they just wouldn't shut up, just check the MAL top animes and its ranked 12#

and i haven't read all of it, (actually i have alot left) but Yandere Kanojo is a pretty nice manga that doesn't have that much publicity

and for animes, god forbid. Boku no Pico is underrated, i ain't telling anyone to go watch yaoi but it has a rather good plot despite 4chan made it the biggest joke on /a/ and i hope i won't get to much flame for letting out my mind on this one
"he that chooses his own path needs no map" - queen kristina of Sweden
Mar 18, 2014 6:38 PM

Aug 2012
Brace yourself lol . . . my list is long! To me the most Underrated anime are:

Kingdom (while it's animation leaves a lot to be desired. . .it has one of the greatest plots of any anime I've seen to date. . .utterly captivating and so worth your time)
Major (one of the best anime I've ever seen. . .such an underrated anime. Follows the main character from pre-school age all the way to adulthood as he works to achieve his dream of becoming a professional baseball player. Such a great anime! It's really a shame that so few people give it the attention that it so richly deserves)
SKET Dance (why, oh why don't people watch this anime? It was so much fun! Hilariously endearing characters, so many laugh at loud moments, and just an overall great time.)
Hikaru no Go (one of my all time favorite anime. . .I really loved the plot, the characters, the comedy, and the underlying tension in each match)
Initial D (a lot of people have heard of the series but not very many have actually watched it. . .which is a damn shame as it's extraordinarily entertaining!)
Capeta (has some CG tossed in there during races but despite that it's one of my favorites and the races are so exciting. . .I really loved this anime and it's a pity not many people know of it)
Gin no Saji (one of the best slice of life anime I've ever seen. . .it's so damn entertaining. . .created by the same mangaka who came up with Fullmetal Alchemist. . .is such a good anime)
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince (a lot of people gave up on it after the first two or three episodes and they really missed out! It turned out to be one of the best mecha anime I've seen. . .I really liked it. . .too bad not many people have seen it)
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (a masterpiece. After watching this the ending stayed with me for DAYS. . .I simply couldn't forget it. . .an amazingly well done anime that more people need to see)
Gingitsune (such an underrated anime. . .it had such a calming atmosphere reminiscent of Natsume Yuujinchou)
Yakitate!! Japan (if you are a fan of anime like Gintama, SKET Dance, Binbougami ga. . .you will LOVE this. . .the humor is very similar and it's honestly one of the friggin' funniest anime I've ever seen! I laughed until I cried! Such a shame it's not more well known ... )
Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun (such an underrated anime with great animation and an entertaining plot. . .I very much enjoyed it)
Juuni Kokuki (a lot of people are so put off by the art that they don't allow themselves to get used to it much less get drawn into the plot. . .I was almost one of those people but I kept watching and got pulled in to one of the best fantasy anime I've seen to date)
Prince of Tennis (one of the most exciting sports anime I've seen. . .and definitely the funniest. . .the characters are so lovable and endearing but few people give it the chance it deserves because of the outdated animation. . .trust me when I say it's worth watching!)
Saraiya Goyou (ok. . .yes the animation style is a lot to get used to but if you can look past that it's really worth your time. Not many have seen it but it was a really enjoyable anime for me)
Tegami Bachi (gorgeous animation, unique plot, and lovable characters. . .what more could you want? it's a great fantasy anime)
Terra e... (THE most underrated scifi anime I've ever seen. . .I loved it and am amazed that so few people have seen it)
Aug 11, 2014 9:04 AM

Nov 2013
Anime:
Serial Experiment Lain
Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda
Eikyuu Kazoku
Afro Samurai
Dai Mahou Touge
Noisy Birth
Insomniac
Chocolate Panic Picture Show
Popee the Performer
Wonder
Koroshiya 1 The Animation: Episode 0
And And
Hal & Bons
Wasurenagumo
Namie Amuro - Dr.
Strange+
Oh Yoko!
Yowai Mushi
To Shoot Without Shooting
Digital Juice
Defend Love
Black Bullet
Agitated Screams of Maggots
Kill Me Baby
Mind Game
Pupipo!
Kiseichuu no Ichiya
Tuzki: Love Assassin
Dimension Loop
G-9
Nami
Tough Guy!
Adventures in Beauty Wonderland
Dead Leaves
Kago Shintarou Anime Sakuhin Shuu
Chuunen Punk

Manga:
Shitauke Tantei Nokori Kasuhiro
Portball!
Habanero-tan
Harii Potao to Kenja Taimu
Kizutsuki Yasui Seishun
Me wo Mite Hanase
Shoulder Tackle Yasuzaki-man
Terror

Note: I´ll occasionally update this list when I´ll find more underrated stuff.
abystoma2Jul 23, 2015 12:21 PM
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 2, 2015 9:18 AM
Sep 2013
add to list ; Shirobako. Really, this show should receive more attention and score
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Underrated anime

TigerD - Apr 20, 2014

2 by Netori »»
Mar 17, 2016 1:51 PM

» [Anime] Annoying animes, and why are they irritating? ( 1 2 )

ShintakoInari - Dec 2, 2012

63 by HijikataMayora13 »»
Jun 2, 2015 10:57 AM

» [Anime] Underrated genres?

Figma - Oct 9, 2013

5 by BohemianRhapsody »»
Apr 21, 2015 7:01 AM

» [Anime] An anime that everyone likes yet you can't be bothered to watch? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Figma - Dec 8, 2012

179 by BohemianRhapsody »»
Apr 20, 2015 10:21 AM

Sticky: » [OPEN] Member Cards!~

AnimeForDummies - Mar 3, 2013

26 by AznPandaOo »»
Jan 13, 2014 12:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.