Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 24, 2012 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
A villain with a purpose or a villain thats bad for the sake of being bad?
(you're free to add other types as well)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 24, 2012 7:41 PM

Jun 2009
As long as they're written well, I don't really mind.

Though I do tend to hate villain who are

"Omg, my ONE friend die, the WORLD must end!"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2012 7:42 PM

Oct 2012
I don't know.

Is there an example of a villain that is 'bad' for the sake of being 'bad' or is it more of the villain has a purpose, but that purpose is perceived to be stupid by the protagonist to even be considered a purpose?

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Nov 24, 2012 7:46 PM

Nov 2012
I tend to enjoy when the villain is a mystery. You know that they're super powerful but you never see what they can do (or something like that)

If the show can make me very intrigued to know more about the villain, then I'd say that they're doing a good job.
Nov 24, 2012 7:49 PM

Sep 2012
as tvtropes calls it, 'the well intentioned extremist'
generally while what they're doing or the way they go about it is wrong, their intentions are for the greater good.

my favorite example?

Nov 24, 2012 7:53 PM

Nov 2012
eldest said:
generally while what they're doing or the way they go about it is wrong, their intentions are for the greater good.

my favorite example?

I am thinking of something similar also : Pain
Nov 24, 2012 7:57 PM

Apr 2012
A manipulative bastard who has full understanding of the world, society, and people and uses that to his advantage.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Nov 24, 2012 8:00 PM

Sep 2011
I love the villains that can hardly be counted as villains like this guy

big spoilers here(AKA the entire game)

basically i like villains that arent evil, i think evil characters are just poor writing

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 24, 2012 8:13 PM
Nov 2012
I really like villians who actually have a purpose other than giving the good guys someone to beat up. Especially those who believe they're doing good themselves, it just makes it more interesting.
"Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a kind of mental illness."
- Suzumiya Haruhi
Nov 24, 2012 8:14 PM

Sep 2011
Cwag said:
I really like villians who actually have a purpose other than giving the good guys someone to beat up. Especially those who believe they're doing good themselves, it just makes it more interesting.

This.

Nov 24, 2012 8:15 PM

Sep 2011
Cwag said:
I think its better than instead thinking their doing good, if they are actually doing good but are going about it in the wrong way. Like pretty much every mgs villain

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 24, 2012 8:19 PM
Nov 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Cwag said:
I think its better than instead thinking their doing good, if they are actually doing good but are going about it in the wrong way. Like pretty much every mgs villain

I think it's for that reason Light from Death Note is one of my favourite 'villians', becuase he's also seen as the 'hero' despite the actions he made.
"Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a kind of mental illness."
- Suzumiya Haruhi
Nov 24, 2012 8:19 PM
Nov 2012
I'm a really big fan of the psychotic/genius with a headache type villain. You know like the laughing sadistic type lol. Envy is one of my favorites.
Nov 24, 2012 8:23 PM

Nov 2012
Cwag said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Cwag said:

I think it's for that reason Light from Death Note is one of my favourite 'villians', becuase he's also seen as the 'hero' despite the actions he made.

I agree with all that shit.

MGS, Death Note and Final Fantasy XII-2 were all great examples of how to make an interesting villain.
Nov 24, 2012 8:26 PM

Sep 2011
skullkid0 said:
Cwag said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Cwag said:

I think it's for that reason Light from Death Note is one of my favourite 'villians', because he's also seen as the 'hero' despite the actions he made.

MGS, Death Note and Final Fantasy XII-2 were all great examples of how to make an interesting villain.
Death note i think is more fitting to show the birth of a despicable villain, that wasnt poor writing at all like most evil characters go but they really hit home with how a guy with good intentions can become worse than the people hes going up against.

I guess after thinking about kira i should take back saying evil character's are poor writing but i still think more times than naught it is, cause i also remember my all time fav villain doesnt have a understandable goal or anything but hes so masterfully written that his phycotic reasoning works so well(im talking about friend from 20th centruy boys)

also just noticed, all 3 of the those stories we mentioned all the villains

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 24, 2012 8:28 PM

Aug 2012
I like villains with realistic goals, and villains who aren't flashy, and don't take risks with their plan, or go on long tirades about how their plan is foolproof and the protagonist has no chance of succeeding...

Well if you just shut your fucking mouth for two seconds and stopped playing games with the good guy and just killed him/her, your plan actually might have a chance of succeeding.

Unfortunately, this type of villain is only too typical, in both western, and eastern stories.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Nov 24, 2012 8:29 PM

Nov 2010
Kamui from Gintama,

He just wants to murder everyone(excluding women and children). Especially those that seem stronger than him.
Nov 24, 2012 8:31 PM

Jul 2012
-oishi said:
I'm a really big fan of the psychotic/genius with a headache type villain. You know like the laughing sadistic type lol. Envy is one of my favorites.

I enjoy that type of villain as well.
Nov 24, 2012 8:31 PM

Aug 2011
Somebody like Johan Liebert, so psychologically tainted and evil you cannot help but wonder exactly what sorts of monstrosities did said villain go through in his/her past. I also liked how Johan was always cool, calm, and collected. I don't like those evil laugh villains. I think sympathetic villains are done too often and can be cheesy.
Nov 24, 2012 8:33 PM

Jun 2009
I like villains that are believable. I enjoy the feeling of being persuaded to be on their side. In order to do that they need to believe in their mission and what they are doing. It is a huge plus if they are an anti-villain, sympathetic villain or you don't know that person is going to be the villain until the end. It is better when it is not obvious.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Nov 24, 2012 8:34 PM
Nov 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

That's probably one of the best parts of a villian's character, the way they get killed.
- Suzumiya Haruhi
Nov 24, 2012 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
skullkid0 said:
Cwag said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Cwag said:

I think it's for that reason Light from Death Note is one of my favourite 'villians', because he's also seen as the 'hero' despite the actions he made.

Death note i think is more fitting to show the birth of a despicable villain, that wasnt poor writing at all like most evil characters go but they really hit home with how a guy with good intentions can become worse than the people hes going up against.

I guess after thinking about kira i should take back saying evil character's are poor writing but i still think more times than naught it is, cause i also remember my all time fav villain doesnt have a understandable goal or anything but hes so masterfully written that his phycotic reasoning works so well(im talking about friend from 20th centruy boys)

Andrew Ryan from Bioshock. If he ain't a great villain then I don't know who is. Damn, I need some reccomendations for anime with great villains; most of the ones I know are from video games lol.
Nov 24, 2012 8:41 PM

Apr 2012
eldest said:

my favorite example?

This.

I also like the ones who are so mentally unstable and twisted-and believe they're right- that they make you want to agree with there ideals, even if they are wayyyy crazy.
Nov 24, 2012 8:50 PM

Sep 2011
skullkid0 said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
skullkid0 said:
Cwag said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Cwag said:

Andrew Ryan from Bioshock. If he ain't a great villain then I don't know who is. Damn, I need some reccomendations for anime with great villains; most of the ones I know are from video games lol.
well 20th century boys, not only is the greatest manga ever it has the greatest villain iv seen in anything, Baccano's villains are the most likable characters in the show aside from the "Main character" firo, youl see why thats in captions. Full metal panic has some spectacular villains, Gintama doesnt get serious outside of arcs for the most part and the start of the show blows but the villains in that series are exactly what the villains we talked about are, none of them are bad guys and you all feel bad for them, well at least post ep 60ish, though despite the serious scenes being 10 worthy its still a comedy for the most part and it takes about 20ish episodes before it gets good so this isnt the best rec. Kekkaishi has some memorable villains who for the most part youl feel bad for,

And yes, bioshock was made a great game, but it was made truly memorable witht he addition of andrew ryan

oh since i mentioned some games for great villains, tales of the abyss and vesperia, infamous 1 and 2(play good), and max payne 2 are some great ones off the top of my head
JizzyHitlerNov 24, 2012 8:55 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 24, 2012 9:00 PM

Nov 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
well 20th century boys, not only is the greatest manga ever it has the greatest villain iv seen in anything, Baccano's villains are the most likable characters in the show aside from the "Main character" firo, youl see why thats in captions. Full metal panic has some spectacular villains, Gintama doesnt get serious outside of arcs for the most part and the start of the show blows but the villains in that series are exactly what the villains we talked about are, none of them are bad guys and you all feel bad for them, well at least post ep 60ish, though despite the serious scenes being 10 worthy its still a comedy for the most part and it takes about 20ish episodes before it gets good so this isnt the best rec. Kekkaishi has some memorable villains who for the most part youl feel bad for,

And yes, bioshock was made a great game, but it was made truly memorable witht he addition of andrew ryan

oh since i mentioned some games for great villains, tales of the abyss and vesperia, infamous 1 and 2(play good), and max payne 2 are some great ones off the top of my head

I might check out Gintama but I am going to see Baccano! for sure.
Nov 24, 2012 9:16 PM

Sep 2011
skullkid0 said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

if you start gintama watch it on the side, it takes some time to pick up, youl know you reached the good parts when you find yourself not being able to stop watching, it took my 6 months to finish the first 50 eps, it took me 1 month to finish the next 200

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 24, 2012 9:34 PM

Jul 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
skullkid0 said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

if you start gintama watch it on the side, it takes some time to pick up, youl know you reached the good parts when you find yourself not being able to stop watching, it took my 6 months to finish the first 50 eps, it took me 1 month to finish the next 200

Thats the exact reason why I keep losing the urge to follow Gintama I feel like its great series but I dont want to waste my time trying to get into a series I may or may not like when I could've watched other series instead. I went through the same thing with One Piece.
Nov 24, 2012 9:39 PM

Jan 2011
i thought Gintama had some lame an generic villains, Takasugi has done nothing in over 250 episodes, he is probably the laziest villain ive ever seen... the rest arent worth mentioning except Kamui, he is a decent one
Nov 25, 2012 1:56 AM

Jul 2012
redeeming villains
and very smart villains
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Nov 26, 2012 10:16 AM

Oct 2012
Genius / villains that plan like 10 steps ahead and that enjoy playing weird games and manipulate their "opponents".I rly liked Joker from Batman ,that is the closest to example that i can think about now.I also liked Pain(Nagato) from Naruto even tho he is kind of cliche.
Nov 26, 2012 10:19 AM

Dec 2011
Villains with personalities I like.
Nov 26, 2012 10:22 AM

Feb 2012
Villains who know what they want, and will do everything to achieve that goal.

Duds like Griffith from Berserk.
Nov 26, 2012 10:27 AM

Jan 2012
i love villains that are obsessive and just insane, Qi Laing has been one of my favourite villains as of yet, she had that psycho dual personality type thing going on, and her character was just so well done for me, loved watching her even though Canaan itself turned out rather disappointing
Nov 26, 2012 11:35 AM

Apr 2011
I've always been a sucker for tragic villains. Griffith especially.
Nov 26, 2012 11:42 AM
Sep 2012
I like when the villain maybe isn´t that bad orginally. Understand what I mean?
Nov 26, 2012 11:43 AM
Jul 2012
I like pure evil villains, ones that actually make you hate them. In gintama it pisses me off, because I believe EVERY single one of the villains are tragic villains
Nov 26, 2012 12:00 PM
Nov 2012
Intelligent super smart villains labelled as very dangerous by the society but have actually good intentions like : Kaito Kid.

«War is a hostile takeover of nations, coated in sugary religiosity and fiery terms of "right" and "wrong" from people who use faith as a mean of coercion and a tool of capitulation.» - Sacrophagus
Nov 26, 2012 12:30 PM

Oct 2012
Someone like Schwarzwald from The Big O, where what he thought he was doing was the right thing, or it was important enough to him that he didn't care what he had to do to obtain it. All he wanted was the truth. Cheesy over the top monologues help to.
ShrabsterNov 30, 2012 12:07 PM

Nov 26, 2012 12:34 PM

Sep 2011
silversaint said:
i thought Gintama had some lame an generic villains, Takasugi has done nothing in over 250 episodes, he is probably the laziest villain ive ever seen... the rest arent worth mentioning except Kamui, he is a decent one
the point was the villains all had humanity to them and if they died it was quite sad.

Also how is takasugi lazy? Just cause he doesnt fight doesnt mean hes not doing stuff, the guy raised 2 armies already and got a fucking monster (kamui) on his side in the short amount of time he gets screen time
Tvking00 said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
skullkid0 said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

Thats the exact reason why I keep losing the urge to follow Gintama I feel like its great series but I dont want to waste my time trying to get into a series I may or may not like when I could've watched other series instead. I went through the same thing with One Piece.
thats understandable, its easier to watch it on the side until it gets good. Its not super duper long to get good, i remember thurghouly enjoying almost everything past around ep 30 and thats not to say there are not any good episodes prior to that, 20 and 28 in particular are golden, its really the first 10 eps that a bitch to get through.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 26, 2012 12:54 PM

Feb 2012
I like believable villains - ones that are people first, villains second. I like villains where you can tell they have a life and a personality outside of being evil and ruining the heroes' days. When they're just EEEEVIL for the sake of EEEEVIL it reminds me of the sims: eating evil waffles and taking evil showers and having evil naps in their evil beds and whatnot. Which is silly.

On the other extreme, I also like ones that are so palpably evil that it's disturbing. There's something deliciously shudder-inducing about someone who's so far gone that they'll do any monstrosity or hurt anyone without a second thought. Whether it's because they're knowingly evil or because they're blinded by well-intentioned extremism, there's something almost otherworldly about fighting someone who's mentality is hardly even human anymore.

So I suppose that means I like any sort of villain, so long as it's done well. ..that's a lame answer, I guess!

And I'm a pretty big fan of the pale-haired creeper archetype. Annnd I love villains who drip with "foe yay," as tvtropes puts it...because it's super fun watching someone who both clearly hates and wants to hurt the hero, but mindfucks them with clearly-fake sweet words and suggestive glances.
Nov 30, 2012 1:33 AM

Jun 2012
Villains that would be Accelerator :DD i just love the way he laugh :DD
Nov 30, 2012 1:43 AM

May 2012
Well I dont know atm, but Juha Bach from the Bleach manga is great villain that gets the job done unlike Aizen that had enormous amounts of potential to be 1 of the best.

Blackbeard from One Piece, despite his looks and being a complete ass, he's really a great character.
Nov 30, 2012 1:47 AM

Sep 2012
I like villains who have big mustaches, steal large bags of money, tie girls to train-tracks, and go "nyehehehe!"
Nov 30, 2012 9:31 AM

Apr 2011
A villain whose plans are pure evil and whose actions are pure evil. His actions are done without consent for the innocent. He is an evil bastard who will do anything necessary for the sake of succeeding in the plan, even if it meant killing his own wife/children/lover/family. He has no sympathy for the weak and enjoys ruthless and mindless killings. Yep, that pretty much sums up my ideal villain. It's better if he doesn't have a tragic past and is evil just because he can be. And being an unstoppable, invincible battle-freak is a plus.
Nov 30, 2012 9:36 AM
Oct 2012
Crocodile from One Piece, i dont really know how to describe him but hes arrogant and he jst has a way of doing things. and if this counts id say gilgamesh from Fate/zero
Nov 30, 2012 11:46 AM
Jun 2012
Handsome, magnificent bastards.
Nov 30, 2012 11:51 AM

Apr 2011
Trolls like Kotomine Kirei

Mar 2012
makeyourway said:
Villains that would be Accelerator :DD i just love the way he laugh :DD

Uh...but Accelerator isn't a villain (at least not after his duel with Toma)...

Jul 2011
Griffith-like ones.
Nov 30, 2012 11:52 AM
Jul 2012
sagdashin said:
Trolls like Kotomine Kirei

Mapo tofu
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 4

83 by tectacles »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » suspension of disbelief and difference between reality and fiction, or too much fiction can make you delusional

deg - 5 hours ago

19 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
21 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Today

34 by RobertBobert »»
31 minutes ago

» What are your thought on Ecchi anime?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

35 by MadanielFL »»
45 minutes ago

» What is the biggest problem in the world of anime in your opinion?

castle2001 - Yesterday

49 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.