Forum Settings
Forums
New
What do you think of the dutch laws considering the habit of smoking?
Reasonable - And I am a smoker.
12.7%
Not Reasonable - And I am a smoker.
5.7%
Reasonable - And I am not a smoker.
67.1%
Not Reasonable - And I am not a smoker.
14.6%
158 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 12, 2008 8:23 AM

Feb 2005
Rpgwiz99 said:
Yea my dad works in a hospitial and people on their death bed from cigarates still manage to get their smoke breaks.

Truly, human willpower never cease to amaze me.
Nov 12, 2008 8:30 AM

Aug 2006
Quite honestly it should depend on what type of public place it is, and not all public places in general. Hospitals (and other health institutions), malls and other "family areas," and other large public institutions I can't think of at the moment should have a ban in place. However; restaurants, bars, and other privately owned places of the like should be allowed to chose for themselves (assuming capitalism is in place). If it ends up hurting them, then it ends up hurting their own sales and that is that.
#dontcare
Nov 12, 2008 8:36 AM

Jul 2008
I find it very unreasonable to ban it from pubs/bars(if the owner allows it), but I can see how you would want to keep it away from "family areas" as stated above.
Nov 12, 2008 11:32 AM

Dec 2007
I am a smoker and my country also has that law.

The smoking habits did not change. If you want to smoke you just leave the building, smoke and then enter back. It turned quite a natural thing to do.

And, even as a smoker, the places feel much cleaner now.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 12, 2008 11:59 AM

May 2007
ladyxzeus said:

And, even as a smoker, the places feel much cleaner now.

Because they aren't covered in a thick layer of smoke residue.

After my father died of cancer (he was a chain smoker and an alcoholic), we were cleaning his house; we took down the curtains and put them in a bathtub with detergent to clean them.

The water turned brown. Dark, dark brown. And it smelled disgusting.

He had only lived in that house for about five years. Anytime we removed something that had been hanging on the wall, there was always an outline of where it had been. Everything in the house was covered with a thick layer of residue.

And that shit is in your lungs :D
Nov 12, 2008 12:27 PM

May 2008
I don't necessarily like things being done and enforced via government, but I do think the law is reasonable. It's a pointless habit, people can take it outside very easily, and there are people with health conditions who really have a hard time around smoke. If I lowered my fly and took a leak all over someone, It'd be illegal. Smoking around someone makes you and them smell like shit, and is toxic, so it's not really much different, except it doesn't get you wet, and it's "area of effect" ;).
Nov 12, 2008 12:31 PM

Aug 2008
I am undecided about this law. We had it passed in Washington, and I have to say, things feel cleaner and I think it is good for the general public.

However, my only problem with it is, I have a problem with the government trying to step in and enforce rules on privately owned businesses. I would imagine that it would be in the best interest of many restaurants at this point in time, to not allow smoking. Especially family type places. Government buildings - no smoking. I think that even smokers would not complain.
I for one have no problem with it - mostly because I'm not so much of a dick as to smoke around people who don't like it. I also will not smoke in the vicinity of children.

But I do think that if a bar wants to allow smoking, that should be their business.
Nov 12, 2008 12:35 PM

May 2007
lizguana said:

But I do think that if a bar wants to allow smoking, that should be their business.

But it's a restaurant, like any other, and it presents a danger for the people working there to be around it all the time.

I'm against too much government control as well, but I think this is a necessary law. If someone wants to kill themselves on their own property, that's fine, but they shouldn't be allowed to kill me too.
Nov 12, 2008 12:38 PM

Aug 2008
ScrumYummy said:
lizguana said:

But it's a restaurant, like any other, and it presents a danger for the people working there to be around it all the time.

I'm against too much government control as well, but I think this is a necessary law. If someone wants to kill themselves on their own property, that's fine, but they shouldn't be allowed to kill me too.

I totally see your point, and it would be like minded people such as yourself that would create business for a non-smoking establishment. And if the smoking establishment loses business/workers, than they will have to become non smoking. It is in the interest of supply-demand.
Nov 12, 2008 8:24 PM

Oct 2008
Laws like that have been put forth here for a while now. My vote: Not Reasonable - And I am a smoker.
Nov 12, 2008 11:02 PM

Sep 2008
Only to some extent but people take the shit overboard at times.
Nov 13, 2008 7:43 PM

May 2008
A habit like smoking would take all my money, so i'd rather not. Although i don't have any problems with smoking or smokers.
Nov 13, 2008 9:38 PM

Mar 2008
I have no problem with people smoking or putting any substance whatsoever into their own bodies. I do however, have a problem when such habits affect the other people around them. As much as I am against government intervention in a person's life, I feel that this is a necessary law for public places. If the government seeks to regulate smoking or other substance use in a private setting however, I will not agree to that.
Nov 13, 2008 9:54 PM

Sep 2008
thedarkestandy said:
A habit like smoking would take all my money, so i'd rather not. Although i don't have any problems with smoking or smokers.

it is expensive but its very relaxing, but avoid it cause it burns paper lije a forest fire...
Nov 13, 2008 10:20 PM

Sep 2008
Bad idea, stupid people should die sooner.
Perelman, martyr
Nov 13, 2008 10:48 PM

Jun 2008
I wish they put this law in my country
Nov 14, 2008 12:30 AM

Feb 2008

I agree, smoking should be banned.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nov 14, 2008 12:45 AM

Sep 2008
such biased opinions...
Nov 14, 2008 12:47 AM

Sep 2008
midori-chan89 said:

I agree, smoking should be banned.
Now that's a bird absurd and short sighted considering that a lot of people are addicted to it and they started it when it was legal. There's a reason it's hard to quit smoking. It's like banning food for them.

1: I don't smoke.
2: I hate the smell of cigarettes and am annoyed by smokers.
3: I think it should be legal to do in all public places.

There are more things that annoy me, I'm annoyed by people talking to loud and enthusiastic, I'm annoyed when people reveal too much of their body, when people make extremely attendant phone calls in public transport. However it are public places. Believe me, needing a smoke and not being able to is a lot harder to go through than some-one smoking near you. My house, my rules however and here no smoking please. But if people can make phone calls on the train then let them smoke, you can ask them to stop and if they don't you rape their daughter.

Rpgwiz99 said:
such biased opinions...
And yours isn't? The only reason you want it legal is because you smoke.
Perelman, martyr
Nov 14, 2008 1:03 AM

Mar 2008
This had already happened (no smoking in public infrastructure) in France long ago (1st feb. 07 for most place like school, bus, work place, then 1st jan. 08 for all public one like pub or restaurant), and it works well.

It might be a bit annoying for smokers I guess but that's still something good for everyone, in my opinion (once smokers got used to it, they had no problem about it anymore, at least the ones I know).
Nov 14, 2008 1:18 AM

Sep 2008
nihlniisadxhai said:

Rpgwiz99 said:
such biased opinions...
And yours isn't? The only reason you want it legal is because you smoke.

and the only reason others want it illigal is because they dont, I mean even you dont smoke but still said this:

nihlniisadxhai said:

regardless of reasons you agreed that it should be legal...
Nov 14, 2008 1:23 AM

Sep 2008
Rpgwiz99 said:
and the only reason others want it illigal is because they dont, I mean even you dont smoke but still said this:
'I am not wrong because every-one is wrong in the same way but they are indeed wrong.'
Rpgwiz99
What you just said is:
[quote=nihlniisadxhai said:

regardless of reasons you agreed that it should be legal...I also gave some actual arguments, and I'm unbiased, you aren't. And you got into jail too. I got forced institutionalized three times though. \o/
Perelman, martyr
Nov 14, 2008 1:26 AM

Sep 2008
nihlniisadxhai said:
Rpgwiz99 said:
'I am not wrong because every-one is wrong in the same way but they are indeed wrong.'
Rpgwiz99
What you just said is:
[quote=nihlniisadxhai said:

I also gave some actual arguments, and I'm unbiased, you aren't. And you got into jail too. I got forced institutionalized three times though. o/

wow 3 times, Ive been in about 7-8 for bad behavior growing up too
Nov 14, 2008 1:31 AM

Sep 2008
Rpgwiz99 said:
nihlniisadxhai said:
Rpgwiz99 said:
Rpgwiz99 said:

What you just said is:
nihlniisadxhai said:

I also gave some actual arguments, and I'm unbiased, you aren't. And you got into jail too. I got forced institutionalized three times though. o/

Difference is that I wasn't a bad boy but simply tossed some hot coffee over a psychiatrist after he didn't get into my elaborate philosophical argument about why the shit he claims is bull.

These guys haven't even heard of terms like 'naïve realism', 'argumentum ad populum', 'argumentum ad naturale', 'ex contradictione quodlibet', 'proposition', 'formal system' and so on and they supposedly know what's best for me?
Perelman, martyr
Nov 14, 2008 1:38 AM

Sep 2008
nihlniisadxhai said:
Rpgwiz99 said:
nihlniisadxhai said:
Rpgwiz99 said:
Rpgwiz99 said:

What you just said is:
nihlniisadxhai said:

Difference is that I wasn't a bad boy but simply tossed some hot coffee over a psychiatrist after he didn't get into my elaborate philosophical argument about why the shit he claims is bull.

These guys haven't even heard of terms like 'naïve realism', 'argumentum ad populum', 'argumentum ad naturale', 'ex contradictione quodlibet', 'proposition', 'formal system' and so on and they supposedly know what's best for me?

hmm, you think tossing hot coffee on something isnt bad?
Nov 14, 2008 1:58 AM

Sep 2008
Rpgwiz99 said:
nihlniisadxhai said:
Rpgwiz99 said:
nihlniisadxhai said:
Rpgwiz99 said:
Rpgwiz99 said:

What you just said is:
nihlniisadxhai said:

hmm, you think tossing hot coffee on something isnt bad?
Not just some-thing, a psychiatrist my kind man.
Perelman, martyr
Nov 14, 2008 2:15 AM
Jul 2008
Why don't we all have a smoke and get along with each other xD
Nov 14, 2008 2:39 AM

Sep 2008
Miyako-chan said:
Why don't we all have a smoke and get along with each other xD

you got the weed, im on my last blunt now...
Nov 14, 2008 3:20 AM

Nov 2008
Reasonable, I don't smoke myself.

If a smoker smokes in a public place, non-smokers are forced to sit in that smell. Especially if people have to work there.
Dec 12, 2010 1:19 PM

Feb 2009
*dig dig* ^^

Not Reasonable - And I am not a smoker.

"Smoking kills, to bad its to slow to make it an effective evolution tool*

Mod edit: Bumping old threads is highly frowned upon. You have been sent an official warning.
desolatoDec 12, 2010 2:34 PM
Dec 12, 2010 2:13 PM

Dec 2007
That's the stupidest law ever created -_-
It's been several years since they're trying to forbid smoking in public places in my country too, but it just won't happen.

Cigarettes here have always been reeeeally cheap (approximately 2.50 lv or 1.28 Euro/1.06 Pounds). Now they're trying to stop us from smoking by rising the prices, and they'd try to forbid smoking in public places (it will never happen :D we're dogs)

So yeah...I'm a smoker, I enjoy smoking and I have no intentions of stoping, neither I think it's wrong (well yeah it's bad and kill, but I don't care -_-)
Dec 12, 2010 2:26 PM

Feb 2009
I don't know how anyone can smoke. It is a disgusting habit and truly one of the worst smells in existence. There is nothing worse then walking around and having some rude person blow a cloud of the foul smelling stuff in your face. If you want to do it, do it somewhere else. I don't need that nasty tar filling my lungs, thank you.

It's revolting. So yes. I support this law.
KipperchaDec 12, 2010 2:31 PM
Dec 12, 2010 2:26 PM

Jan 2009
The law was made to protect the none smokers. People who get killed by being near smokers. And if a smoker has no common sense and is ignorant to the environment, then he should be punished.
Laws are made to prevent senseless people from harming others.
Dec 12, 2010 2:58 PM

Aug 2009
I support it.
Prevents harm to non-smokers from Passive Smoking as stated by LiarK above me. This limitation is one step of improvement in the health of society.

And remember kids, smoking kills.
Dec 13, 2010 3:30 AM

Sep 2010
^agreed 100% with both of you, I support it as well.
Dec 13, 2010 3:49 AM

Jun 2009
I don't like to be near people who smokes. It irritates my nose and it puts my lungs in danger :(

Thank you to Cyruz-chama for patiently helping me with my siggy ;)

Dec 13, 2010 4:59 AM

Jul 2008
Because it's 2 years old that means it's now invalid...?
It's just like all the other threads allowing discussion, just on whether banning smoking is reasonable or not.
Dec 13, 2010 8:31 AM

Aug 2008
It's too reasonable, this way, non-smokers won't be hurt by the smoke of the smokers thus retain their health/convenience, and smokers can smoke outside if they would like, I really wish such law would be enforced in my country.
Dec 13, 2010 8:31 AM

Jan 2010
We have the same law in New Zealand. I think it's fair.

Edit: Holy crap this thread is old. O_O
Dec 13, 2010 10:04 AM

May 2010
New York City is not any different from where you live now.
Jan 17, 2011 2:51 PM

Aug 2010
i agree cuz smoke smells horrible

and it helps stops spreading second-hand smoke ^^
Jan 18, 2011 6:32 AM

Dec 2008
BigGayLawyer said:
the law for that was passed not long ago and i agree

i hate when peple smoke in public, several times ive had a problem with being in a room with people smoking and not been able to breath properly and had a panic attack =_=

Me too, I am studying in a studio for preparing work bag for my art college studies and any brake we take there is allways this stinky smell and breathless feeling of those smokes of the other students who is with me (Except me, there are also 3 guys and one more who is currently rehabiliting who aren't smoking)

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.