Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 10, 2008 8:35 AM

Oct 2008
Why do you prefer - a nice long anime, or one which is easy to get to the end of?

I notice that animes like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and Dragonball have had quite a following over the years - and rightfully so, because I reckon they're great anime series.

However, one thing people do complain about is that they do just last TOO long. 250+ episodes in a series is rather a lot... and the battles and stories seem to drag on for aaaageess. One fight between two characters, with additional background banter might last for around five 25 minute episodes! Two hours and five minutes of grunting and breaking things (as interesting as it is) is FAR too long, whichever way you look at it.

This is where nice and short animes come in. Things like Cowboy Bebop or Eureka Seven lasted for around 25 episodes - which is not short by any means, but made for more intense watching, more complex story lines and more happened in each episode - not to mention more easy marathoning of entire series 8-)

However, these left something to be desired - particularly if you really enjoyed them, you were left longing for more Spike Speigel and more crazy mecha action and more adventures from your cast of favourite characters.... which is where long running series come in. They give you something to come back to every evening - something new that you haven't seen before, and even if you have, it makes continuing the series more fun. By the time I'm on the Buu Saga of Dragonball Z, I have no recollection of the details of what happened during the Saiyan Saga. Long running series almost make up a ritual - like watching any other soap opera on TV, whereas short series are like two hours of fast paced fun at the cinema...

So, erm... which do you prefer?
mr-robotoNov 10, 2008 8:52 AM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 10, 2008 8:40 AM

Aug 2008
Add third option "I don't care as long as it's good" ;]
Ii tenki desu ne...
Nov 10, 2008 8:42 AM

Dec 2007
I prefer short series but I don't mind very long ones if they are interesting.

I agree when you refer to long ones as a "ritual"... Still, I consider anything abouve 26 episodes long (even some 26ters are very long for me). I'm more into well done quick development than useless fillers.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 10, 2008 8:44 AM

Oct 2008
26 episode series is what i prefer, 300 episodes bores me. unless it has a robotic cat that pulls object out of his gut.
Nov 10, 2008 8:54 AM

Oct 2008
Antanaru said:
Add third option "I don't care as long as it's good" ;]

Done ;)

I agree that even some 26's get wearisome at times...

And anything which involves robotic cats is worth watching again and again and again...
Nov 10, 2008 8:56 AM

Oct 2007
I consider anything beyond 26 episodes long.
Nov 10, 2008 9:00 AM
Jul 2007
I don't care as long as it's good. =p
Nov 10, 2008 9:03 AM

Oct 2008
the standard use to be 52, most of the shows back then would have 52 and 26 was considered short. see even animators get tired of their jobs.
Nov 10, 2008 9:03 AM

Jul 2007
After CCS, I made up my mind. Nothing over 52 episodes ever again.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Nov 10, 2008 9:15 AM

Jul 2008
The major problem with those longer series is that they are loaded full of episodes that are just downright boring(fight scenes that last FOREVER, etc.) or have filler that doesn't progress the plot in any way(this is very common in shounen anime, I.E. the ones you listed).

Now I do like those series that can actually take the time to make good sequel series such as Ah! My Goddess, Shakugan no Shana or Full Metal Panic! where the filler is kept to a minimum and the interest in the series is easier to maintain because you aren't getting bogged down with shitty, boring, redundant fight/dialogue scenes.
Nov 10, 2008 9:19 AM

Oct 2007
I prefer short animes, usually long animes start off good, but then the producers just end up milking the anime for as much money as possible, and wrecks the anime

Nov 10, 2008 9:22 AM

Oct 2008
well more and more anime's are doing how they do it with hollywood shows is that split the seasons. having multiple 26 episode seasons(with breaks in between) is what is going to be the standard, i believe.
Nov 10, 2008 9:24 AM

Jan 2008
Long animes. 26-episode-animes are for cowards
Nov 10, 2008 9:32 AM

May 2007
The "I don't care, as long as its good!" option.

Short anime like Haruhi managed to get my very few 10 pts rating and there's long shonen anime like Gintama who also gets my 10 pts.

It really depends. Regardless of how long the anime might be, sometimes I never get enough of them, example is Lucky Star and Hayate no Gotoku! because producers literally can make anything out of them with original ideas. And there's Gurren Lagann which I think it should end right there after 27 episodes.

Really can't judge an anime from its episodic length. Basically... show me what you got. Surprise me.
Nov 10, 2008 9:36 AM

Mar 2007
Frito said:
the standard use to be 52, most of the shows back then would have 52 and 26 was considered short. see even animators get tired of their jobs.

They just no longer have the production budget for as many longer series unless they turn into cash-cows (like Naruto or Bleach)

I don't mind long series (even if they have tons of filler) as long as they eventually have an actual definite satisfying ENDING. I hate to wade through hundreds of episodes only for it to have a non-ending that leaves everything wide open or unresolved. For example, see most series by Rumiko Takahashi. (Except for the wonderful Maison Ikkoku...). I need to somehow feel that there was some sort of progress or development to the story or characters over all that time and for there to be some sort of conclusion/payoff.

Nov 10, 2008 9:45 AM
Jul 2008
I don't mind as long as I have time, haha. The majority of the anime I watch is short, but long animes can be nice too. The only problem is that sometimes the same premise goes over a span of 5 or so episodes. So if I have to do something in an hour and there's a fight that lasts more than four episodes, I'll have to wait until I can see the end of the fight. I guess this isn't a really big deal because people watching the show have to wait until the next day, but when the episodes are online, waiting seems kind of like a drag.

It's funny how the shorter animes can have rather complex feelings while the longer ones don't....or at least from what I've seen so far (which isn't a lot). But someone did mention that the shorter ones are complex. You'd think that longer animes would have more complex story lines since they have more time to fully develop their plot and whatnot. But I guess there should be a couple out there.

Anyway... I guess I don't care as long as it's good.
Nov 10, 2008 9:53 AM

Nov 2007
26 eps series are good. 13 make me sad because they end too suddenly. I don't like watching anime that go over 50 eps.
Nov 10, 2008 1:24 PM

Apr 2008
I prefer short Series. The most long Anime are really boring with so long fighting scenes and fillers...
Nov 10, 2008 1:35 PM

Jun 2008
The only good long anime is Dragonball Z.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Nov 10, 2008 1:42 PM

Oct 2008
and lord of the rings.
Nov 10, 2008 1:42 PM

Jul 2008
When I watch good anime that is short It's so annoying that its already end and then again some long ones just keep on going forever with nothing interesting like bleach 1-50 good and rest I mostly didn't even try to follow what the story was about. And for instance Berserk was made short and path into Epic anime was ruined!!
Nov 10, 2008 1:43 PM

Mar 2008
Ontario said:

You should take off the pink nostalgia glasses and go watch it again. And after taking a look at your list.. you haven't even seen any other "longer" shows except half of Yuu Yuu Hakusho.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Nov 10, 2008 1:46 PM

Jun 2008
woop said:
Ontario said:

You should take off the pink nostalgia glasses and go watch it again. And after taking a look at your list.. you haven't even seen any other "longer" shows except half of Yuu Yuu Hakusho.

Like I said, the only good long show is Dragonball Z. 200+ eps for me is long.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Nov 10, 2008 1:53 PM

Mar 2008
I didn't think I would have to explain this, but how would you know there are no other good "long" shows if you haven't watched them? It's like saying "Banana tastes like ass" if you haven't tried either.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Nov 10, 2008 2:07 PM

Oct 2008
Well, Dragonball Z was pretty awesome... but wouldn't say it was the only good long anime.

And AFAIK, banana tastes nothing like ass. Unless you're into that sort of thing... :p

Frito said:
well more and more anime's are doing how they do it with hollywood shows is that split the seasons. having multiple 26 episode seasons(with breaks in between) is what is going to be the standard, i believe.

I do quite like that idea. Continuing a successful series with a new season rather than a continuation is a good way to draw in an existing fanbase, and develop characters and whatnot - without overdoing things with filler episodes and 9 hour battles.

ATM, I come home to 2 episodes of One Piece a day... and I must say that it is indeed becoming a bit of a ritual, which I relax to before getting on with some work. Although the cliffhangers are annoying, and almost nothing happens in some episodes, it does leave something to be desired the next day...

I couldn't watch something like Samurai Champloo in the same way - I need to stay hot on the story, and watch carefully so I don't miss anything. As a result, I end up devoting a weekend to it instead.
Nov 10, 2008 2:14 PM
May 2008
I think I prefer short anime but I do like long ones. Short anime I think provides a sense of relief from the long ones I watch/have watched.
Nov 10, 2008 2:39 PM

Oct 2008
woop said:
I didn't think I would have to explain this, but how would you know there are no other good "long" shows if you haven't watched them? It's like saying "Banana tastes like ass" if you haven't tried either.
im pretty sure ontario is entitled to his own opinion.

*now im sorry if i de-railed the thread again!
Nov 10, 2008 3:18 PM

Nov 2007
Short Series (like Kanon, Bebop, Death Note...) (your vote)
The shorter the better, not longer than 50 ep.
13 is a good number of episodes.

Long Series (like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach...)
I just say two words, FILLERS SUCKS!
Nov 10, 2008 3:26 PM

Jun 2007
When I was younger, I didn't care how long a series was. But, as I've aged, I've found it hard to start new series, and series with over 70 episodes out are too daunting for me to want to get into. I feel motivated to start 13 episode series, 26 episode series are also fine, 50 episode series are a little too much but I'll still give them a go...but above that, I generally won't bother.

One Piece is one anime I've nevr looked into because of its length. Having already watched Bleach and Naruto, the prospect of watching 100's of episodes with no end in sight doesn't make me overly excited. As much as I loved Bleach and Natuto back in the day, the stories dragged on forever needlessly, and that's the biggest fault of those types of series.

Nov 10, 2008 3:29 PM

Jul 2008
Short series. Everything is better in my opinion. The story is more focused and to the point, there are no fillers. The animation quality is usually consistant all the way through and short series nearly always keep me entertained. Long series seem to drag and go on and on.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 10, 2008 4:12 PM

Nov 2007
MikeAbyss said:
I prefer short animes, usually long animes start off good, but then the producers just end up milking the anime for as much money as possible, and wrecks the anime

^ Seconded
Nov 10, 2008 6:38 PM

Jan 2008
I used to like long anime but recently I would prefer everything to be shorter. I usually start to lose interest if it's too long, but then again it really depends on the series
pavyiskuNov 10, 2008 6:52 PM
Nov 10, 2008 7:35 PM

Jul 2008
I like em' short and sweet and I'll probably never watch One Piece or Bleach because of it even though I'm a little interested.

Sticking to one series for so many episodes just seems it's getting dragged out with fillers and such after only so many episodes. I did watch every single episode of the Dragonball series and Inuyasha but that's because I didn't know any better and I thought anything less than 100+ episodes was absurd during the time.

Nov 10, 2008 7:37 PM

Oct 2008
Short series as in 13-episode is the best. I like Meitantei Conan a lot, yet I never watched it, because its 520+ episodes which is just too time-consuming. When you have limited amount of time, you definitely don't want to waste it.
Nov 10, 2008 9:15 PM

Mar 2008
Its funner to watch short ones because you know you can get to the end and the story makes more sence and is often deeper in meaning. Long ones are good if you just want something to watch at all times, but can be rediculaous to watch if your trying to get to the point of the story. only good for a once a week or once a day show, otherwise you get into it way too deep and you have endless fillers.

Best is around 24 to 42 episodes often IMO, shorter is alright as long as it isnt an action anime in most cases or else it comes up feeling short
Nov 10, 2008 9:31 PM

Sep 2007
I mostly like under 26 episodes. Longer animes start getting boring and repetitive.
Its only a few that haven't (imo):
Fullmetal Alchemist, Monster, Eureka Seven, GTO and what ever else thats on my anime list
Nov 10, 2008 9:35 PM

Aug 2007
As long as its good I don't mind <.<
Nov 10, 2008 9:39 PM

Jun 2007
Definitely prefer shorter series. I just have a hard time getting through long series, even if they are good. >_<
Nov 10, 2008 9:41 PM

Jul 2007
Shorter series have usally better quality and I don't have much time these days to watch long series.
Nov 10, 2008 10:05 PM

Apr 2007
"I don't care, as long as its good!"

Is what I voted for. Though I do have more motivation to watch the series that are about 13 episodes.
Nov 10, 2008 10:24 PM

Oct 2008
Nowadays I'd rather short ones because,having to work really cuts into my time to watch long ones.
Nov 10, 2008 11:45 PM

Oct 2008
Hmm... I think I prefer shorter stories, as I often am so busy that I can quickly become unaable to watch much anime in a period of time, and that way I tend to forget what's happened earlier. Also, long animes have a tendency to have a lot of fillers!

About 20 episodes if fine for me - I stopped watching Naruto because of the fillers, plus I thought it was pulled out too far - there's a limit to how long I want them to continue searching for Sasuke, trying to convince him to come back. Just let it go for Chr*st's sake - he's abviously made up his mind to stay!
行けー幼子兵器!あれは木端微塵に粉砕しろ!
Nov 11, 2008 12:36 AM

Sep 2008
It dosent matter, I will watch just about any anime regardless of the length. In my book anime is anime. So as long as I enjoy it I will continue to watch.
Nov 11, 2008 12:49 AM

Jun 2008
I don't care, as long as its good! (is my vote)

but i don't feel motivated,when i'm trying to start a long series
Nov 11, 2008 12:53 AM

Jan 2008
mr-roboto said:

Things like Cowboy Bebop or Eureka Seven lasted for around 25 episodes - which is not short by any means, but made for more intense watching, more complex story lines and more happened in each episode - not to mention more easy marathoning of entire series 8-)

Cowboy Bebop was 26 episodes, E7 was 50. Cowboy Bebop was largely episodic and only had around 5-6 episodes that fed directly into the running plot which really wasn't all that complex, just unexplained. E7 on the other hand was a very slow character driven show the first half and didn't really start moving the plot forward until the second half.

Defiance said:
The major problem with those longer series is that they are loaded full of episodes that are just downright boring(fight scenes that last FOREVER, etc.) or have filler that doesn't progress the plot in any way(this is very common in shounen anime, I.E. the ones you listed).

Now I do like those series that can actually take the time to make good sequel series such as Ah! My Goddess, Shakugan no Shana or Full Metal Panic! where the filler is kept to a minimum and the interest in the series is easier to maintain because you aren't getting bogged down with shitty, boring, redundant fight/dialogue scenes.

Ah! My Goddess is essentially a long running series of stand alone arcs that don't really make much in the way of meaningful plot progression. Shana 2 is hardly something I'd point too as an example of a "good" sequel, over half of it is boring school filler and then they topped it off with an anime original ending that was a huge let down. Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, on the other hand, IS what I'd call a great sequel after seeing how well KyoAni was able to completely overhaul the series when Gonzo had practically raped it in the first season.

Saty666 said:
And for instance Berserk was made short and [its] path into Epic anime was ruined!!

Berserk was made "short" because that was exactly how long they had always intended the anime to be. They skipped a number of vitally important scenes and left out whole characters that made a continuation of the series absolutely impossible from a canon standpoint. TBH the show was still excellent in spite of it's cliffhanger ending and it accomplished what it was really meant to do: make people buy the manga. However if reading isn't you thing, just wait like 10-15 years and maybe you'll get to see a new Berserk anime series starting from the very beginning.

Nov 11, 2008 2:24 AM

Sep 2008
If its good, keep going.

Longest I've seen was Inuyasha (Not DL'd) and 2nd is CCS at 70 episodes plus 2 movies. After finishing CCS, I said I wouldnt watch anything over 70 again.Thankfully, everything i've been watching has been in the 20's, but I have something coming up that is 52 episodes...
Nov 11, 2008 2:49 AM

Dec 2007
as long as its good obviously, but the thing is long series tend to have fillers like half of the time and so on and therefor i prefer short ones.
Nov 11, 2008 4:11 AM

Mar 2007
I don't care. But long anime you get to know the characters better.
Instagram: Luzifurr
Nov 11, 2008 4:21 AM
Jun 2007
I don't care. However, whenever I watch a long series, it just seems to drag on and on.
Nov 11, 2008 4:25 AM

Dec 2007
Short anime is better for me.
I dropped all the long anime that I watched, except a few ones that is focused on comedy.
I don't mind if animes such as School Rumble, Hayate no Gotoku!, and Ouran High School Host Club get a lot of episodes, I like it that way.
But if the anime is plot-centered, I prefer if they stick to 13 episodes or 24 episodes, anything longer than 52 episodes will most likely fail..
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does seinen anime focus on other things besides ultra manliness?

fallout45 - 2 hours ago

21 by perseii »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime

LittleStar - 13 minutes ago

5 by joseifan »»
5 minutes ago

» Thoughts on Date a live harem plot

DOOMGuYMi5js - 27 minutes ago

2 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

97 by BigBoyAdvance »»
10 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 3 )

Akuya - May 1

105 by Amaterasu803 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.