Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 8, 2012 8:11 PM
Aug 2012
God it's 500+ episodes I don't get how this anime is still alive.
Do you guys think I should watch it, and just how boring is the beginning and when will it start to get good?

Jeez this thread does not fit in...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 8, 2012 8:15 PM
Nov 2010
For most people it's the Arlong arc (31-44) when it starts getting good.

But yes, it's completely worth it.
Nov 8, 2012 8:23 PM
Aug 2012
Oh so im guessing 1-30 is gathering the crew huh...

And is this anime childish? Like is the anime not serious and just a bunch if people trying to get the golden prize while fighting "big bad monsters".
Nov 8, 2012 8:25 PM

Nov 2010
Yes it is worth it, in my opinion it is the best shounen anime out there. And is personally my favorite anime.

The beginning is very action packed, he gains 4 of his comrades in the first 45 episodes, which is about half. The anime has a lot of continuity as in something might be mentioned within the first 20 episodes that won't become relevant until the 400s. That's one of the great things about this anime, secrets from the beginning of the series will be revealed at the perfect time, After the first 45 episodes it starts to get slower, up to 60 episodes for an arc at times.

The One Piece world is great, you actually know what the world looks like(and the world plays into the plot). Each island is built beautifully with a lot of different seasons,weird natural phenomena, cultures, and natural landscapes, big sea creatures and other animals of all shapes and sizes.
Nov 8, 2012 8:26 PM

Sep 2012
its 100% worth it trust me
"Im feeling it tonight roflcopterskatesbbq"
Nov 8, 2012 8:26 PM

Nov 2011
Entezio said:

And is this anime childish? Like is the anime not serious and just a bunch if people trying to get the golden prize while fighting "big bad monsters".

Well, really a kid and adult can enjoy it. I wouldn't say it's really childish but keep in mind shounens aim for the younger crowd as well.
But no, nothing like that example you gave, the plot is well-done so it makes for a great watch.

Have patience though, it does start off really slow(Gathering the crew and all that jazz) but once you get passed that it all becomes worth it in the end.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Nov 8, 2012 8:28 PM

Nov 2010
Entezio said:

He gathers the first 4 people which is about half of what he has now in the first 45 episodes, but he gains comrades gradually while travelling.

Some might say that it's childish but it really isn't. The anime is enjoyable to all ages, even having adults as probably the group that watches it the most, because the plot and the setting is so great, you wont' feel like the show thinks you are a kid at all. It is serious at good times, it deals with issues like slavery, racism, eugenics, justice and other things like that.
Nov 8, 2012 8:41 PM
Aug 2012
Ooh ok thanks guys! I can't find any anime that gave me the same feel as the ones I've already watched so I guess I'll watch this. Love it when connections are made, hope it gives me that same vibe I had back when I watched DBZ as a child.

I have like 10 anime on hold since I hate currently airing anime so I hope One Piece will keep me occupied till then :)
Nov 8, 2012 10:46 PM

Aug 2012
To be honest, One Piece won't give off a similar vibe to that of DBZ. It focuses more on the adventure than the fighting, although Luffy does prefer to settle things with his fists (which becomes 1000x more epic than any DBZ fight). Basically, it's a really long and epic story that you have to sit down and enjoy it. If you're watching One Piece for the fights, you're going to have a bad time.
Nov 9, 2012 7:52 AM

Oct 2010
Arguments of quality aside, which I think are the expected in a specific subforum about One Piece, starting by the beginning in this series is essential because of the way the plot is structured. In almost every episode, there will be references to previously watched elements, sometimes separated by hundreds of episodes. And the sense of continuity is very strong and a key element in the character and story development that is shown. That is, I can say that the Arlong arc is when the series gets great, but the Arlong arc is great because it builds a contrast in a character from the first image we had from them, in previous arcs.
Nov 9, 2012 9:56 AM
Aug 2012
Ooooh now I can't wait to get home and watch One Piece. Seems to me One Piece is well thought through! TIME TO DO MY LONGEST MARATHON EVERRRRRR.

It's like DBZ with a little less action and alot more plot eh? I'm getting turned on.

I know I can google this but with me being on my phone in a crappy internet location I'll just ask here, how long do you expect One Piece to be?

I never knew One Piece was the type of anime to do that refrence thing, I've been looking for anime like that a littke while ago but no one suggested One Piece -.-
Nov 9, 2012 10:00 AM
Nov 2010
Have fun and enjoy.
Nov 9, 2012 10:05 AM

Nov 2010
Entezio said:

I know I can google this but with me being on my phone in a crappy internet location I'll just ask here, how long do you expect One Piece to be?
A long time maybe up to 10 years more(maybe more around 7), it has an ending planned out, the mangaka has already confirmed that.
Nov 9, 2012 10:21 AM
Aug 2012
Thank you flame.

7 more years? Impressive the plot hasn't thinned out so far. I really don't know how they'll keep coming up with new ideas, they've already had 10+ years of this show. Well I'm heading off to home, gonna watch it as soon as possible. Thanks and peace!
Nov 9, 2012 10:26 AM

Nov 2010
Entezio said:
Thank you flame.

7 more years? Impressive the plot hasn't thinned out so far. I really don't know how they'll keep coming up with new ideas, they've already had 10+ years of this show. Well I'm heading off to home, gonna watch it as soon as possible. Thanks and peace!
The story is actually getting stronger near the 500 mark rather than weaker.
Nov 11, 2012 2:27 AM

Nov 2012
I have the same problem, I don't know if I should watch One Piece or not. P:
But since all these are pretty good reviews I guess I'll have to watch it! I'm starting a One Piece Marathon by next week. LOL 500++ Episodes, well, here I come!
Nov 11, 2012 3:02 AM

May 2010
Entezio I wish I was you so I could watch all those episodes without knowing things o_________o
Believe me, it's totally worth it, it's my favorite anime :D
Nov 11, 2012 3:05 AM
Jun 2012
Levi-san said:
Entezio I wish I was you so I could watch all those episodes without knowing things o_________o
Believe me, it's totally worth it, it's my favorite anime :D

yeah man my biggest enjoyment was when i marathon 500+ episodes of one piece

its totally worth it to watch one piece, enjoy and savor the process
Nov 11, 2012 4:12 AM

Oct 2011
Currently? No.
Earlier stuff are somewhat good though. Just don't watch to catch up, watch to enjoy.
And the current two arcs are complete crap, so you're not missing out on anything. Take your time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2012 4:24 AM

Jun 2009
I'm pretty confident that starting and marathoning One Piece was probably one of the best anime related decisions I've made, so yeah it's worth watching. You can take it slow or whatever, just give it some time to get it's feet on the ground at around episode 30 or so.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 14, 2012 9:52 AM

Jul 2008
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

i start watching it last year
( the troth i watch it with out sub on Germany channel on my stalaite in year 2001 but didn't know what thy say so i stop in arabsta arc )

it totl worth it

same how even that one piece episode is 22m it end fast :D

and it get better and better with time
Nov 14, 2012 4:48 PM
Apr 2011
I wrote a whole guide on what arcs to watch and what to skip plus on how to watch the show. Check it out.
Nov 15, 2012 5:55 AM

Apr 2011
I don't regret watching it ! I even quit college to watch and i still think it was a great anime.
Nov 15, 2012 2:29 PM
Aug 2012
Lol wtf trojan

I'm on episode 54 and this anime is so awesome!!! And funny too. I love how all the characters interact with each other it's fcking hilarious hahaha man I love this.

Jetman2021 said:
I wrote a whole guide on what arcs to watch and what to skip plus on how to watch the show. Check it out.

Why would I miss an arc. aren't those the things that 'make' the anime? o.o
Nov 15, 2012 2:40 PM

Nov 2010
Entezio said:
Lol wtf trojan

I'm on episode 54 and this anime is so awesome!!! And funny too. I love how all the characters interact with each other it's fcking hilarious hahaha man I love this.

Jetman2021 said:

He's probably talking about the fillers. But a lot of other people and I say to just watch all the fillers because they are interesting and you won't be able to tell them apart from the story.
Nov 15, 2012 2:55 PM
Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Entezio said:
Lol wtf trojan

Jetman2021 said:

He's probably talking about the fillers. But a lot of other people and I say to just watch all the fillers because they are interesting and you won't be able to tell them apart from the story.

Oh ok I think I'm watching a filler arc right now it's on episode 54. I think it's called the warship arc. Do you think I should watch it cause honestly it's boring as hell and I don't know if important information is in this arc.

Like the arc I just watched, Logue Town, is apparently filler but it was so awesome with the Usopp gun battle and the Sanji cooking battle and that smoker general guy.
Nov 15, 2012 3:04 PM
Feb 2011
Entezio said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Entezio said:
Lol wtf trojan

Jetman2021 said:

Oh ok I think I'm watching a filler arc right now it's on episode 54. I think it's called the warship arc. Do you think I should watch it cause honestly it's boring as hell and I don't know if important information is in this arc.

Like the arc I just watched, Logue Town, is apparently filler but it was so awesome with the Usopp gun battle and the Sanji cooking battle and that smoker general guy.

Louge Town is not filler. There were a few filler episodes in it but it was not filler.

Warship arc is bad and contradicts (makes plot holes) the manga. Zoro cannot cut iron at that point in time and admirals are going to be introduced later in the story. However there is a little bit cannon included in it. The Calm Belt bit is important knowledge (somewhere in the first or second episode of the arc) and the entrance of the Grandline (the last episode of the arc)
Nov 15, 2012 3:09 PM

Nov 2010
Entezio said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Entezio said:
Lol wtf trojan

Jetman2021 said:

Like the guy above me said, only a couple episodes of Logue town are filler the rest is not.

Warship island is a filler but you need to at least watch episode 61. He is right about the couple of plot holes though, you don't have to watch it unless you want it(it's not that bad of a filler in my opinion), just make sure to watch 61.
Nov 15, 2012 3:13 PM
Aug 2012
Ok I'm skipping that arc. Didn't seem that interesting to me.

Alright I'll be watching episode 61 then!
Nov 15, 2012 9:21 PM

Apr 2011
Entezio said:
Ok I'm skipping that arc. Didn't seem that interesting to me.

Alright I'll be watching episode 61 then!

Good, that was only boring arc is one piece. you can watch it later if you need.
Nov 17, 2012 4:35 AM

May 2012
One word answer: Yes
There is a reason why this anime has so many episodes, it's a good series to CATCH up on. If you watched it without having any patience and dropped it later on giving it a low score you'd be doing no one a favor.
Now the first 20-30 episodes is nothing that amazing, it's just luffy securing 3 of his nakama (Zoro, sanji, usopp) but it has a lot of interesting information in it which if you missed out on might lead to confusion later on. You even get to see a shichibukai (Warlord) which play a big part in the series.
It starts to get decent at around episode 30 but not too impressive. However after that everything is pretty awesome. You might want to avoid the Skypea arc, if you could just watch one piece until enies lobby (250+) and Marineford (450+) you'll realise how awesome it is.
At the moment for me what's keeping me watching one piece is the pure great promise it has. There is so much to happen! especially about the yonko (emperors of the New World), i mean White beards set the bar pretty high ;)
I'm sorry about the overuse of one piece terminology but just stick with the one word answer :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2012 6:38 AM
Oct 2012
I don't understand why anybody would skip an Arc. It's really strange to me. Just because other people recommend you skip Arcs I still think you should go ahead and watch it all - just because one person doesn't like something doesn't mean to say you won't enjoy it.

Take your time and enjoy the show. I'm up to episode 207 of One Piece now and I'm loving the show. I have no intention of skipping any of it!
Nov 17, 2012 5:08 PM
Oct 2011
This anime is definietly worth watching

I'm currently on season 3 voyage 1 of One Piece I think the arc i'm on is called Skypeia and it really a awesome show. I cann't wait until; the other Funimation dvds come out this show is really worth the time to invest in and the characters are hilarious and some parts are very sad too. But this show is better in the comedy, action, and drama

Season 4 is already out voyage 1 and 2 by funimation and I think voyage 3 is coming out sometime soon.
Nov 17, 2012 5:30 PM

Jun 2009
BlackCatScott said:
I don't understand why anybody would skip an Arc. It's really strange to me. Just because other people recommend you skip Arcs I still think you should go ahead and watch it all - just because one person doesn't like something doesn't mean to say you won't enjoy it.

Take your time and enjoy the show. I'm up to episode 207 of One Piece now and I'm loving the show. I have no intention of skipping any of it!

Not to mention it's pretty obvious Skypeia, which I'm assuming is the arc you are referring to, is obviously going to have repercussions somewhere down the line with all the things Robin found and all.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 17, 2012 5:43 PM

Nov 2010
insan3soldiern said:
BlackCatScott said:

Not to mention it's pretty obvious Skypeia, which I'm assuming is the arc you are referring to, is obviously going to have repercussions somewhere down the line with all the things Robin found and all.
Not just that (though what Robin finds affects the FI arc), this is what the wikia lists as the story impacts of the Skypia arc

But I think he might be talking about up a little some guy said that he wasn't enjoying the filler Warship island arc, and we said that he is able to skip it he just has to watch the last episode of it since it has canon material in it. Though I don't really think someone should skip any episodes the first time they watch a show.
Nov 17, 2012 5:50 PM

Mar 2012
drinkbeer said:
How is this even.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Nov 17, 2012 5:50 PM

Sep 2012
Yes it anime is well worth watching in my opinion.....
Nov 17, 2012 6:04 PM

Nov 2010
Nordhau5 said:
drinkbeer said:
How is this even.
Oh it's fun, believe me.
Nov 17, 2012 7:08 PM

Feb 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Nordhau5 said:
drinkbeer said:
How is this even.
Oh it's fun, believe me.

Yes... I think all of us fortunate enough to be able to say that we marathoned 400-500 episodes of OP are very lucky.
When I first started op, thought it was merely decent and dropped it.
It took me a year till I tried it again and that was merely 'cause I had nothing to watch.
Now, it's my favorite anime.
Nov 17, 2012 7:15 PM

Mar 2012
well the first 50 episodes are boring as it is about how everything starts then the show becomes the best thing ever.

450+ episodes of complete awesomeness is totally worth it
Nov 17, 2012 7:30 PM

Jun 2009
Andyis said:
well the first 50 episodes are boring as it is about how everything starts then the show becomes the best thing ever.

Maybe, up to episode 30-ish. Maybe. But, there is no way I'd consider the Arlong arc "boring", in fact it was when realized I was into something special. That said, "boring" is arguably the most "boring" piece of criticism there is. There were definitely some good things in the first few arcs, such as the back stories and Mihawk's first appearance.

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 17, 2012 7:40 PM

Nov 2010
insan3soldiern said:
Andyis said:

Maybe, up to episode 30-ish. Maybe. But, there is no way I'd consider the Arlong arc "boring", in fact it was when realized I was into something special. That said, "boring" is arguably the most "boring" piece of criticism there is. There were definitely some good things in the first few arcs, such as the back stories and Mihawk's first appearance.
Yeah but it was Luffy rising out of the rubble and saying "Nami, you are my nakama" that captured me.
Nov 17, 2012 7:46 PM

Jun 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
insan3soldiern said:
Andyis said:

Yeah but it was Luffy rising out of the rubble and saying "Nami, you are my nakama" that captured me.

The Knife scene for me. Actually the "Walk to Arlong Park" scene in general.

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 17, 2012 7:58 PM

Nov 2010
insan3soldiern said:
IntroverTurtle said:
insan3soldiern said:
Andyis said:

The Knife scene for me. Actually the "Walk to Arlong Park" scene in general.
Nami's crying scene was pretty powerful, they like to put an emotional and powerful part every time someone joins the crew, don't they.
Nov 17, 2012 8:17 PM
Aug 2012
Yea the first 30 or so episodes were alright. It was nice seeing how the crew got together. Arlong Arc, being one of the only "amazing" arcs I've seen so far was pretty entertaining.

I'm on episode 83, almost up to the Alabasta arc. I heard it was pretty good, is it true?
Nov 17, 2012 10:36 PM

Jun 2011
Entezio said:
Yea the first 30 or so episodes were alright. It was nice seeing how the crew got together. Arlong Arc, being one of the only "amazing" arcs I've seen so far was pretty entertaining.

I'm on episode 83, almost up to the Alabasta arc. I heard it was pretty good, is it true?

Yeah that was amazing, an appearance of a certain amazing person which will eventually lead to a huge incident that will shake the world of One Piece :D The villian of that arc is awesome too :) Glad that there are more people enjoying One Piece. Once you've catched up to the latest episode, you'll start to suffer :p
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 17, 2012 11:33 PM

May 2012
Entezio said:

Alabasta is awesome!
but beware it'll probably be the first time you see luffy get beat up badly.... TWICE
Nov 17, 2012 11:49 PM

Nov 2011
Arabasta is incredible! It's probably my favorite OP arc so far.

My ranking would be:

Nov 18, 2012 4:33 AM

Jul 2009
For me,

1. CP9 Saga (Enies Lobby + Water 7)
2. Marineford
3. Arabasta
4. Impel Down ( + Amazon Lily)
5. Sabaody Archipelago
6. Fishman Island
7. Nami's arc (Arlong)
8. Skypiea
9. Thriller Bark

All of them are amazing though. I wish I could watch it all over again without knowing what's going to happen. :)
Nov 18, 2012 6:35 PM
Aug 2012
Lol yea its gonna suck getting to the last episode and waiting a week for a new one. Im scared when that day comes

Heard alot of things about enies, marineford, C9, sabody, and impel down. Cant wait!!!

D_eidara said:

Alabasta is awesome!
but beware it'll probably be the first time you see luffy get beat up badly.... TWICE

Nooooo I don't wanna see him get beat up I aint ready for that QQ
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 527 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ElectricSlime - Dec 10, 2011

88 by kejora »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 93 Discussion

VARIAchan - Dec 16, 2009

49 by Ratris_Decision »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1098 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Mar 23

43 by Gator »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1097 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Mar 16

44 by Gator »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 404 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SlaughterChichi - Jun 7, 2009

128 by bakakisima »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.