Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Nov 12, 2012 10:03 AM
Feb 2012
That's a matter of taste I guess, music, and animation. I prefer more semi realistic style of art, but, it's not like I dislike the art of this show. Music was extremely well done In F/Z, OSTS, OP and EDs.

Also. Just realized. Sanae looks somewhat similar to that girl with white hair from Anohana.
Nov 12, 2012 10:04 AM

Mar 2012
Cratex said:
ataraxial said:
How would you describe shows that are referred to as "slice-of-life" then?
I don't - not my job (grin)

Seriously, it all depends upon the show and what I got out of it.

Now you're just weaseling out of answering the question.
Genre words exist to describe shows in a concise manner. Maybe you don't use them at all, but that seems a bit unlikely.

symbv said:
NNick said:
Oh, I did Appreciate Death Note and Fate Zero S1 and S2.
The best animated shows I've ever seen.
Not to insult anyone, but this show doesn't come anywhere near the quality of those 2 shows.
You are the drama type so this kind of slice-of-life show may be an acquired taste to you.

Anyway, in terms of technical achievement like sakuga (still art and motion/expression animation) or sound/music Chuunibyou is among the top class that can be made in the anime industry, which is what people have come to expect from Kyoto Animation (or KyoAni in short), the studio which animates this show. So perhaps you can look at this show from these angles, which I think is at least a good match for Fate/Zero and definitely beats Death Note.

I don't think Chuunibyou is all that great as a slice-of-life comedy.
It looks amazing, I agree, but I don't see how it's any better than K-ON for instance.
Nov 12, 2012 10:07 AM

Sep 2012
ataraxial said:
symbv said:
Anyway, in terms of technical achievement like sakuga (still art and motion/expression animation) or sound/music Chuunibyou is among the top class that can be made in the anime industry, which is what people have come to expect from Kyoto Animation (or KyoAni in short), the studio which animates this show. So perhaps you can look at this show from these angles, which I think is at least a good match for Fate/Zero and definitely beats Death Note.

It looks amazing, I agree, but I don't see how it's any better than K-ON for instance.
If you read my post closely, you should know I was talking only about its "technical achievement" and ask NNick to appreciate the show from that perspective. I was not saying anything about whether Chuunibyou is a great show in general. And in terms of the aspects I mention like sakuga and sound I think it is indeed top class (and so is K-On).
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 12, 2012 10:08 AM

Mar 2012
symbv said:
ataraxial said:
symbv said:

If you read my post closely, you should know I was talking only about "technical achievement" and ask NNick to appreciate the show from that perspective. I was not saying anything about whether Chuunibyou is a great show itself.

I wasn't disagreeing...?
Nov 12, 2012 10:10 AM

Sep 2012
ataraxial said:
I wasn't disagreeing...?
Since you quoted my whole post, I thought you were posting as a direct response to what I said in my post.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 12, 2012 10:12 AM

Mar 2012
symbv said:
ataraxial said:
I wasn't disagreeing...?

Since you quoted my whole post, I thought you were posting as a direct response to what I said in my post.

It was a response, but it wasn't to disagree with you about the artistic quality or anything like that.
It was more like I wanted to qualify your statement by making it more obvious that you were only talking about the art.
Nov 12, 2012 10:15 AM

Sep 2012
ataraxial said:
It was a response, but it wasn't to disagree with you about the artistic quality or anything like that.
It was more like I wanted to qualify your statement by making it more obvious that you were only talking about the art.
I see, would appreciate if it was a bit more clearly stated so in your post... ;-)

Nov 12, 2012 10:24 AM
Feb 2012
So, what's a good slice of life show?
As far as i know life is not all rainbows and cute girls having fun on beach.
Life is a ____ and Japanese seem to fail to show that.
Nov 12, 2012 10:28 AM

Mar 2012
symbv said:
ataraxial said:
I see, would appreciate if it was a bit more clearly stated so in your post... ;-)

It was also an attempt to segue into actually talking about the show.
So I gave my overall opinion of it to start off.

NNick said:

For comedy, watch Nichijou. "Drama," Hanasaku Iroha.
Nov 12, 2012 10:35 AM
Feb 2012
Meh, I rather wait for Angel Beats season 2, whenever that happens. If.
Nov 12, 2012 10:38 AM

Mar 2012
NNick said:

I'm pretty sure Angel Beats! is complete as a project. And it's also not slice-of-life, lol.
Nov 12, 2012 10:41 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
You must not confuse Slice-of-Life as equivalent to depicting all the grittiness in real life, which is a common mistake made by westerners when they first face this genre. Slice-of-life has a long tradition in Japan and it is basically about highlighting the amusing and interesting things happen within a group of people, who are usually quite close-knitted. The idea is to show the pleasant, humorous, fun and positive side of life, which is usually the force that motivates people in their life. Friendship and bonding is a common theme. As is love. Japanese are familiar with slice-of-life genre because they grow up watching anime like Sazae-san (which is IIRC the longest running anime show in Japan and has been running since the 60s) and when they grow up many of them still watch it and are proud to call themselves fans of the show. It is about fun little things happen within a family and their neighbors or in school. Generally it is about those fun little episodes coming up from character interactions, although occasionally there may be little difficulties or trouble or misunderstanding but everything would turn out fine because people bond together and help each other out.

For something that is closer to a highschool setting, which is common in most of the midnight anime (that is the mainstream in terms of non-kid anime produced these days), I think ataraxial has already mentioned K-On, also by KyoAni. It is about a group of highschool girls gathered to form a music club. While music is one focus, the main focus is on the interaction between the characters and how they bond together while enjoying their school and club life (which often involves things other than practicing music). K-On is credited for being the motivation for hundreds of highschool setting up or expanding their band clubs. And in this year's survey of high school culture events, K-On music is the third most popular in terms of number of school bands picking its music to play, beating most of the real-life singers or bands.

ataraxial said:
It was also an attempt to segue into actually talking about the show.
So I gave my overall opinion of it to start off.
Hmm.. I thought I was already trying to segue into talking about Chuunibyou with my post... Honestly, even now when I read it I still got that impression that my post was not closely read, but anyway...
symbvNov 12, 2012 10:55 AM

Nov 12, 2012 10:56 AM
Feb 2012
^
I'm not really into that kind of shows, as I already said.
I was googling something and stumbled upon this show, the only reason I kept watching was because Rikka.

Yeah, I can't accept "just fun" shows like this unfortunately.

ataraxial said:
NNick said:

I'm pretty sure Angel Beats! is complete as a project. And it's also not slice-of-life, lol.

Slice Of Dead Life?
Nov 12, 2012 10:59 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
^
I'm not really into that kind of shows, as I already said.
But you also said "So, what's a good slice of life show?" which is why I wrote that post to recommend what I think is "a good slice of life show".
And your saying "Life is a ____ and Japanese seem to fail to show that" sounds a bit self-righteous too, which is why I told you about the tradition of certain fondness about slice-of-life show by the Japanese, which shows appreciation of life does not necessarily mean failure to understand what life is about.

Angel Beats is mostly an adventure drama with a heavy load of slice-of-life element.
symbvNov 12, 2012 11:04 AM

Nov 12, 2012 11:08 AM
Feb 2012
Rhetorical question.

I pretty much gave up on anime after Fate Zero.
Tried tons of other shows and there was nothing I liked.
I Even tried Light Novels and Visual Novels.
Just most of the shows, for me, seem so absurd, unrealistic and boring/unappealing.
Nov 12, 2012 11:12 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
Rhetorical question.
I wonder how I could tell it's rhetorical... I guess I should just blame myself for wasting my time then.
NNick said:

I pretty much gave up on anime after Fate Zero.
Tried tons of other shows and there was nothing I liked.
I Even tried Light Novels and Visual Novels.
Just most of the shows, for me, seem so absurd, unrealistic and boring/unappealing.
Actually I find most TV drama in the west I saw to be as absurd, boring or unrealistic, if not more, than a lot of anime I watched (and I am not even going to talk about the cartoons), but I guess mileage varies. If you have given up anime, why out of so many shows you picked this one? And why are you so interested in asking questions about anime??
symbvNov 12, 2012 11:17 AM

Nov 12, 2012 11:22 AM
Feb 2012
Don't know why am i here, have nothing better to do at this moment.
Sometimes I come here to see if anything's new.

Why this show? I already said.
When I picked up Guilty Crown I knew it was complete ____, though the animation was just spectacular and that's why I kept watching it.
Nov 12, 2012 11:33 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
Why this show? I already said.
I went back to the post you first made that started all the discussion today (where you said "Episode 7 and still no plot, right?") but I could not find the post that you said why you picked Chuunibyou. If I missed it please point it to me.

Since you watched Guilty Crown for its animation, so it just shows a valid way to enjoy anime regardless of its story.

Anyway, semi-realistic artstyle and gritty story with an overarching plot is definitely not the mainstream in anime these days. You may find some works that are more to your taste if you dig deeper into the history archive.

Nov 12, 2012 11:38 AM
Feb 2012
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=515053&show=160#msg18255719
Here you go.
And I also head that she
Nov 12, 2012 11:39 AM

Oct 2008
Yumekichi11 said:
About the negative, randomly taken from the different parts of this episode. The way Isshiki in the spoiler... was pissed me off. Dude does not jack what girls like in guitars and dude was so MOE, it was gay for me. I am sorry.

Shinka’s attitude and the whole class mess in the spoiler... WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL? The F is the problem with girls being polled? It tells them at least if they are ugly or not and to change. WTF is wrong with the whole situation man? It’s like a huge big deal that is not really. Less the guy did put sexual remarks and some measurements then yeah but even so only sexual remarks about some girls would it matter at all of this.

Something tells me you never have been laid yet and probably never will for as long as you live.
Nov 12, 2012 11:47 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=515053&show=160#msg18255719
Here you go.
Hmm.. a post 2 days ago... But it did not really answer my question. I know it is Rikka who keeps you watching, but what exactly got you to check on this show in the first place? You saw an image of Rikka, got fond of it, and so checked out this show?
NNick said:
And I also head that she
Sorry to disappoint you but it seems that it is something coming from 4chan and then translated into Japanese in 2ch. The versions also vary - one said it's the end of TV series, another said it's the end of the novel. Anyway so far it seems fabrication to me.

Nov 12, 2012 11:58 AM
Feb 2012
Not quite sure why did I even start watching it to be honest.
Google, suggestion or youtube. One of those.

I admit she's kinda adorable looking, I mean Rikka, probably that's why I marathoned ep1-6.
RGBNameNov 12, 2012 12:36 PM
Nov 12, 2012 11:59 AM

Mar 2012
I promise that there are no rainbows in Nichijou.
Although you may want to skip the parts with Hakase and Nano.
A couple scenes:

Hypeathon said:
Yumekichi11 said:
About the negative, randomly taken from the different parts of this episode. The way Isshiki in the spoiler... was pissed me off. Dude does not jack what girls like in guitars and dude was so MOE, it was gay for me. I am sorry.

Shinka’s attitude and the whole class mess in the spoiler... WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL? The F is the problem with girls being polled? It tells them at least if they are ugly or not and to change. WTF is wrong with the whole situation man? It’s like a huge big deal that is not really. Less the guy did put sexual remarks and some measurements then yeah but even so only sexual remarks about some girls would it matter at all of this.

Something tells me you never have been laid yet and probably never will for as long as you live.

He's actually quite proud of it.
Nov 12, 2012 2:22 PM
Feb 2012
dont know if this is new or not, but found full ED1.
Nov 12, 2012 2:26 PM

Feb 2012
NNick said:
dont know if this is new or not, but found full ED1.

Yup, it was included in the OP Single :D

Still waiting for the ED with the cast version...
Nov 12, 2012 2:33 PM
Feb 2012
Cheesy lyrics though, or just badly translated.
Reminds me of something, but don't know what.
Nov 12, 2012 3:45 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
ataraxial said:
Cratex said:
ataraxial said:
How would you describe shows that are referred to as "slice-of-life" then?
I don't - not my job (grin)

Seriously, it all depends upon the show and what I got out of it.

Now you're just weaseling out of answering the question.
Genre words exist to describe shows in a concise manner. Maybe you don't use them at all, but that seems a bit unlikely.
LOL. Well, it may seem like it, but I'm not. My original point was that "slice of life" isn't a good term because of the way so many people use it to mean many different things. So, when you ask "How would you describe shows that are referred to as 'slice-of-life'" it is simply not possible for me since I consider far to many shows of different types being lumped together.

For example, someone referred to Angel Beats! as having a "heavy load of slice-of-life element" - I would completely disagree with that. It doesn't even make sense to me as a way to describe that show. I would describe Angel Beats! as a story about the souls of troubled teens caught in a limbo that reflects their inner turmoil because they are unable to let go of their emotional baggage, and how they learn to overcome their self imposed limitations and move on. I can't put a label like "slice of life", drama, or even action/adventure on it because it is none of those things to me. I don't even know what sort of label to put on it.
Nov 12, 2012 7:07 PM

Sep 2010
waiting for the next week episode. God damn. LOL. Bald part was the best part lmao
Nov 12, 2012 8:25 PM

Sep 2012
Cratex said:
For example, someone referred to Angel Beats! as having a "heavy load of slice-of-life element" - I would completely disagree with that. It doesn't even make sense to me as a way to describe that show. I would describe Angel Beats! as a story about the souls of troubled teens caught in a limbo that reflects their inner turmoil because they are unable to let go of their emotional baggage, and how they learn to overcome their self imposed limitations and move on. I can't put a label like "slice of life", drama, or even action/adventure on it because it is none of those things to me. I don't even know what sort of label to put on it.
Then your definition of slice-of-life elements is just different from the common interpretation of slice-of-life (Nichijou) elements in Japan. That's it. All those you described above is put under the primary genre I set to Angel Beats which is "Adventure Drama". The slice of life elements refers to the joking and antics in classrooms, on the sports ground or in the music playing room. And come to think of it, I think I actually exaggerated when I said "heavy load of slice-of-life elements". It is more like there are "some slice-of-life elements", which is not surprising as the idea of the setting is for the souls to relive their highschool and to have fun there and have their wish fulfilled so that they can rest in peace.

Nov 13, 2012 12:43 AM
May 2012
how is this anime related to boku no pico? I'm seeing multiple comments on youtube...
Nov 13, 2012 3:03 AM
Feb 2012
Boku No Picu is the best anime ever! Go watch it asap!
Nov 13, 2012 3:19 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
Coming from you? Hmm..

Nov 13, 2012 3:35 AM
Feb 2012
symbv said:
NNick said:
Coming from you? Hmm..

Hopefully you know what sarcasm is.
Nov 13, 2012 4:03 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
symbv said:
NNick said:
Coming from you? Hmm..
Hopefully you know what sarcasm is.
And I was using that too.

Nov 13, 2012 4:13 AM
Feb 2012
So, next episode airs when?
Nov 13, 2012 4:56 AM

Mar 2012
unj008 said:
how is this anime related to boku no pico? I'm seeing multiple comments on youtube...

If you haven't noticed by now, every anime is related to Boku no Pico because every anime is Boku no Pico.
Nov 13, 2012 9:19 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
symbv said:
Then your definition of slice-of-life elements is just different from the common interpretation of slice-of-life (Nichijou) elements in Japan. That's it.
I can live with that :)
Nov 14, 2012 7:18 PM
May 2012
ataraxial said:
unj008 said:

If you haven't noticed by now, every anime is related to Boku no Pico because every anime is Boku no Pico.

yeah after seeing this, never mind...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T6go6EOuG4
Nov 15, 2012 7:33 AM

Jul 2012
unj008 said:
ataraxial said:
unj008 said:

yeah after seeing this, never mind...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T6go6EOuG4

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Nov 20, 2012 2:25 AM

Jun 2009
Hmmm, that was good. Didn't think he'd go through with it, and was especially happy by Super Bitch being burned by having one of the girls want to rub his bald head flirtatiously.
Nov 22, 2012 6:43 PM

Jul 2011
^ WTF

Edit: Never mind. that post has been deleted, probably some bot. God damn those scary image...
dreznovkNov 23, 2012 1:11 AM
Nov 25, 2012 12:19 AM

Apr 2009
Lol, taking one for the team. Makoto is a hero. Or at least to all the other guys in class. Props for actually going through with it. Kumin was odd enough to give an unexpected reaction to his new look. Still wanted to know who wrote that letter though...
Nov 25, 2012 9:27 AM

Apr 2011
Kumin has a weird fetish LOL.

That Yuuta x Rikka holding hands. Sweet <3
Nov 29, 2012 11:18 AM

Feb 2008
Hoshi Souichiro, the bro. Roles like this really suit him. Remembers me of Tomoki a bit.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Dec 1, 2012 10:22 AM

Dec 2009
He totally deserved that shave.

But that hand holding <3
Dec 3, 2012 11:50 AM

Nov 2008
Great episode as always but I really want to know it the letter was a fake or not.

I wonder what is going on with Rikka and her sister, maybe parents are coming back? That is usually the problem when these types of situations arise in anime.
Dec 9, 2012 12:49 PM

Jul 2012
Kawaii
Dec 20, 2012 6:55 PM

Nov 2011
That was a good episode but I don't see a crime in ranking the girls as long as they don't get to see it. I know if they see it, it will just be mean to some girls but as long as people don't know what the ranks are, then the girls shouldn't even care! >=(

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Dec 22, 2012 10:03 PM

Apr 2012
oh my god this episode was hilarious, so much drama put into a situation over a cutie poll
the holding hands moment was so intense, i could feel the intensity through my heart.
also i loved that part at the end where nap girl touvched isshki's head and he blushed aw
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2012 4:43 PM

May 2012
A true man! Quite nice and funny episode, but ow damn that ending is quite interesting development :p

Lets see what's next! Perhaps a beach episode?
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2012

672 by Ne-mo »»
Apr 20, 1:40 PM

» What would've happened to Rika if Yuuta hadn't reached out to her at the end of the season 1 finale

Soibi - Mar 10

7 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 17, 2:16 PM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2012

323 by Zimmu »»
Mar 13, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2012

431 by Devonnius »»
Feb 25, 11:52 PM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 12, 2012

489 by FarCritical »»
Feb 22, 1:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.