Forum Settings
Forums

Would you kill yourself when your favorite anime/manga character dies?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 3, 2012 12:10 AM

Nov 2012
No if I did, I would have died years ago.
Nov 3, 2012 12:39 AM

Aug 2012
LOL

I feel terrible for laughing at this, but seriously can't help BUT laugh.

Ah, puberty.
Nov 3, 2012 12:41 AM

Mar 2011
seishi-sama said:
Basically the only thing that's true in this article is that the boy killed himself.

But they invented some father he didn't have and didn't mention that he lived with his mother and grandmother who always fought with each other and apparently abused him as well, and that he's also had troubles at school. So basically anime was the only thing that kept him from killing himself earlier.

Also, he was 13 years old. Born in 1999.

And..
jal90 said:
Some people already said it, but...

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

(I am honestly amazed that there is a Wikipedia entry for this)

Yet another article that defies the role of the environment and throws it all on the entertainment of the individual simply because that is the entertainment of the global minority. Who knows if he ever lost someone or was abused , bullied , had any friends ever and therefore at some point in his life went through depression?

According to seishi the answer is obvious.
Media..media..the irony of it all is that that article might as well have the opposite effect: parents adapting oppressing attitudes towards their kid for watching anime.
"But don't cry my friends, we are all the same.Every one of us is a human with "H" capital...
and now we are two and one of us has to be shit."
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 3, 2012 1:14 AM

May 2010
Really?
Nov 3, 2012 1:26 AM

Sep 2011
I've been sad, angry, and depressed over anime before, but never was suicide even a thought in my mind. I cant show sympathy for something like this, just gunna be straight up.
Nov 3, 2012 1:46 AM

Sep 2011
Uhmm... no.
Nov 3, 2012 1:47 AM

Aug 2011
That's some kind of devotion....

Nov 3, 2012 2:14 AM

Sep 2010
If I did that everytime my favorites died I would have died like 20+ times by now. O_O
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 3, 2012 2:22 AM

Oct 2012
OriginANIME said:
I've been sad, angry, and depressed over anime before, but never was suicide even a thought in my mind. I cant show sympathy for something like this, just gunna be straight up.

Clannad? :P
Nov 3, 2012 3:56 AM

Sep 2012
jal90 said:
Best part of the thread is how people are freely throwing spoilers on Naruto.

Best part of the thread is how a kid killed himself and a lot of poster are joking about it when they clearly don't know any of the circumstances.
Nov 3, 2012 3:57 AM

Jun 2011
Killing yourself over Naruto,.

huehueuhueuhuehuehueuhuehueuhue
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Nov 3, 2012 3:57 AM

Jun 2011
vbyo said:
OriginANIME said:

Clannad? :P

Think he was reffering to Boku no Pico.
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Nov 3, 2012 4:03 AM

Jul 2012
You know what would be really funny, if the author at some point revives Itachi lol....I am such a dick.
Num1dad_AsuraNov 3, 2012 4:06 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Nov 3, 2012 4:31 AM

Jun 2011
Num1dad_Asura said:
You know what would be really funny, if the author at some point revives Itachi lol....I am such a dick.

It actually did happen, according to people who watched Naruto.
Apparently he died a long time ago already and was resurrected from the dead in a later episode.
Nov 3, 2012 4:41 AM

Jul 2012
Jenii said:
Num1dad_Asura said:

Apparently he died a long time ago already and was resurrected from the dead in a later episode.

Well this just goes to show, you should always do proper research before coming to a conclusion lol........I am still such a dick
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Nov 3, 2012 4:44 AM

Oct 2012
Jenii said:
Num1dad_Asura said:

Yeah, lol. He did.
[ Heard from a friend. I dropped Naruto because I got lost and I got kind of bored as well.
]
But this kid killed himself after watching the movie ( Naruto - Hurricane Chronicle )

Nov 3, 2012 4:45 AM

Feb 2009
Spoilers anyone?

Ahh fuck it.. Just tell it all.
Nov 3, 2012 8:01 AM

Apr 2012
Now that's one hardcore Naruto fan.
Nov 3, 2012 8:10 AM

Feb 2012
Necro-sama said:
'A 14-year-old boy leapt more than 100ft to his death from the top of an apartment block in Chaikovsky, Russia, after seeing his favourite manga character killed in a cartoon.

Police say Leonid Hmelev died instantly.

The boy was reportedly devastated after seeing the death of the character Itachi Uchiha in the animated movie 'Naruto - Hurricane Chronicle'.

He left home after posting a message on a social networking site saying he was also 'planning an ending'.

His worried parents raised the alarm after he did not return home and a search was organised together with neighbours.

After being missing for two days his body was found yesterday and he was identified by his devastated father Ivan, 38.

He said: 'I always told him he spent too much time watching the TV - he didn't know what was reality and what was fiction anymore.'

Teenage suicide in Russia is endemic. It has the third-highest teenage suicide rate in the world, just behind its neighbours Belarus and Kazakhstan and more than three times that of the United States.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2226324/Russian-teen-leaps-apartment-block-seeing-favourite-Japanese-cartoon-character-die-television.html

And you guys thought that Amanda Todd was dumb.

Amanda Todd was a genius. She understood, and from that understanding she has liberated herself from the pointlessness of existing among the living.

A la Matrix you could say.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Nov 3, 2012 8:28 AM

Jun 2010
Actually two of my favorite anime characters did die!!

I wouldn't kill myself umm... well... I guess that's evident and I don't really need to state it. I think that people who kill themselves because of such a thing are mentally ill and should have seen a psychiatrist... it's sad how parents don't take their children to psychologist even though they see they have problems. I mean the surely feel bad they can't help them, themselves, but sometimes it is important to seek help from a professional, it really helps, I believe, even for petty things, sometimes parents can't really offer anything else apart from support.
On the other side, I think that if a character dies in an anime it has a reason for doing so, it makes everything more dramatic and epic... sometimes I think that it's sad... I think it's also sad for the creator, making one of his or her characters die... But in that way they might want to show or prove something to the public who is watching the anime (^.^)
Nov 3, 2012 9:05 AM

Mar 2011
How do they know that was the reason he killed himself?
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Nov 3, 2012 9:21 AM

Jul 2010
The awkward moment when you kill yourself because your favorite character died...and said character gets resurrected later.

Nov 3, 2012 10:01 AM

Mar 2010
Uhh They were never "alive" to begin with..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 3, 2012 11:45 AM

Aug 2012
The fuck..... I think he watched too much anime and believed he was a anime. and No i'm not that crazy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2012 12:08 PM

Apr 2008
SPOILER ALERT PEOPLE!!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Nov 3, 2012 12:57 PM
Mar 2012
EftychiaLena said:
Actually two of my favorite anime characters did die!!

I wouldn't kill myself umm... well... I guess that's evident and I don't really need to state it. I think that people who kill themselves because of such a thing are mentally ill and should have seen a psychiatrist... it's sad how parents don't take their children to psychologist even though they see they have problems. I mean the surely feel bad they can't help them, themselves, but sometimes it is important to seek help from a professional, it really helps, I believe, even for petty things, sometimes parents can't really offer anything else apart from support.
On the other side, I think that if a character dies in an anime it has a reason for doing so, it makes everything more dramatic and epic... sometimes I think that it's sad... I think it's also sad for the creator, making one of his or her characters die... But in that way they might want to show or prove something to the public who is watching the anime (^.^)

I don't think the problem here is that a characters died. If it is part of the story than it usually makes it more complete, the story that is. But you would have to visit another thread for a discussion about that.

From others who posted in this thread, we get that the parents and direct family didn't like the kid. So why would they create expenses for something they don't like at all?

Also QFT
Rasco said:
Uhh They were never "alive" to begin with..
Nov 3, 2012 2:43 PM

Jul 2007
I've watched my waifu die, and watched my favorite character die multiple times in multiple ways in canon.

At this point, when I find a character I like, I actively wait for them to die.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Nov 3, 2012 3:20 PM

Oct 2008
Well, I would possibly abandon Naruto if Tsunade died, and I was pretty darn depressed about Jiraiya (whom I still don't deep down believe really died...), but going that far is... well. I don't know what to say...

Guess he'd be pissed to find Itachi didn't really die...
BissenNov 3, 2012 3:48 PM
行けー幼子兵器!あれは木端微塵に粉砕しろ!
Nov 3, 2012 3:26 PM

Aug 2009
Treekodar said:
How do they know that was the reason he killed himself?

They don't.
Nov 3, 2012 3:32 PM

Oct 2012
Damn,.I used to watch so much in summer..Never thought of suicide :P
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Nov 3, 2012 3:33 PM

Jun 2012
*sense detector activated*
"beep... beep...sorry, no sense found"
Seriously, how can someone do that?
I dont get it.
Nov 3, 2012 3:40 PM

Jan 2008
Reminds me of the kids who tried to imitate Gaara and one killed the other in a sandbox.

Well overall, might have been rude but I lol'd. Would lol even more if he was brought back to life like every generic shounen anime. /hasn't read naruto in years.
Nov 3, 2012 4:11 PM

Apr 2011
On a serious note, I think there's more to it than being upset over the death of his favourite character. As much as I'm skeptical towards the Daily Mail, this caught my eye:

"Teenage suicide in Russia is endemic"

So, I googled teenage suicide rates in russia and the search results were more than I expected.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20121023/176850156.html
http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2017827218_russiasuicide25.html
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/teen-suicide-rate-ranks-3rd-highest/448986.html

Yeah and this is why I'm inclined to agree with jal90's post (Unless I've misunderstood):

jal90 said:
Some people already said it, but...

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

(I am honestly amazed that there is a Wikipedia entry for this)

But who knows...
GloriousHawkNov 3, 2012 4:14 PM
Nov 3, 2012 5:07 PM
Mar 2012
I saw a documentary of the life of a poor teenager trying to survive. He lived in a basement and sniffed glue to feel less of the freezing cold and hunger. They also joined random protests for some pocket money. And all this in a major city.

But really, the circumstances in Russia are no joke. If you are with friends like the documentary I saw, you might get by with struggling each day. But I can't say I blame these kids escaping their path of pain.

This would also be the prime example of why I called the kid who committed suicide because of bullying "weak". Relatively of course. This just shows that there are harsher living situations where they still continue to live on.
Nov 3, 2012 5:17 PM
Dec 2011
I get really upset because I am in the moment/sucked into the anime

I was pissed when he died =[ and sad because of all who've watched Naruto all we learned, basically about
but it's an anime character would I kill myself no!! Sometimes do I honestly need to talk it out with someone who loves Naruto as much as me, yes. Than I get over it and keep going.

Want to reply to this please message me! Haha cause I never get replies when it's quoted in comments.
Nov 3, 2012 5:20 PM

Aug 2012
dankickyou said:
seishi-sama said:
Basically the only thing that's true in this article is that the boy killed himself.

But they invented some father he didn't have and didn't mention that he lived with his mother and grandmother who always fought with each other and apparently abused him as well, and that he's also had troubles at school. So basically anime was the only thing that kept him from killing himself earlier.

Also, he was 13 years old. Born in 1999.

If true. This makes a tiny bit more sense.

Now this makes sense....kinda of
Nov 3, 2012 7:59 PM

Jun 2012
Killing myself over anime would never be an option.
I plan on living till the end ._.
YOLO.
HyalosNov 3, 2012 8:34 PM
Nov 4, 2012 12:31 AM

Aug 2012
LordSenate said:
Spoilers anyone?

Ahh fuck it.. Just tell it all.

LOL
Nov 4, 2012 1:35 AM
Mar 2012
Chamry said:
the end ._.

Do elaborate.
Nov 4, 2012 1:46 AM

Mar 2011
Karpman said:

From others who posted in this thread, we get that the parents and direct family didn't like the kid. So why would they create expenses for something they don't like at all?

You are simplyfying it a great deal. Bad communication within a house doesn't mean lack of love and care. By this logic then the only ones who commit suicide are the ones abused by their parents (abuse here in the most extreme way). Sometimes it's the idividual who is weak, other times it's his parent, school or any form of social party.

Karpman said:
I saw a documentary of the life of a poor teenager trying to survive. He lived in a basement and sniffed glue to feel less of the freezing cold and hunger. They also joined random protests for some pocket money. And all this in a major city.

But really, the circumstances in Russia are no joke. If you are with friends like the documentary I saw, you might get by with struggling each day. But I can't say I blame these kids escaping their path of pain.

This would also be the prime example of why I called the kid who committed suicide because of bullying "weak". Relatively of course. This just shows that there are harsher living situations where they still continue to live on.

So, expanding on this, if we were to pinpoint the one leaving the most miserable life on the planet, would we agree that everyone else is weak and that the aforementioned individual is the only one to whom we can show understanding ?
Yes, there exist many worse situations in the world, but then again everyone lives differently and based on those differences they shape themselves and become strong and weak(strong and weak being firstly relative to their immediate society and secondly relative to the general world) . By your logic, it's the kid's fault who in his barely over a decade life didn't manage to become strong? Strength isn't innate and it's not something you acquire overnight.
"But don't cry my friends, we are all the same.Every one of us is a human with "H" capital...
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 4, 2012 2:02 AM
Mar 2012
Kanic said:
You are simplyfying it a great deal. Bad communication within a house doesn't mean lack of love and care. By this logic then the only ones who commit suicide are the ones abused by their parents (abuse here in the most extreme way). Sometimes it's the idividual who is weak, other times it's his parent, school or any form of social party.
In this case it did, or so I am going to believe, I don't know how much is true of what he said, but for now I'll take it as the truth.
seishi-sama said:
he lived with his mother and grandmother who always fought with each other and apparently abused him as well

Abuse by parents is a really horrendous thing. But I very know there are far more reasons to kill yourself. True, the individual can be weak, but you are responsible for your own actions. It is your own life after all.

Kanic said:
So, expanding on this, if we were to pinpoint the one leaving the most miserable life on the planet, would we agree that everyone else is weak and that the aforementioned individual is the only one to whom we can show understanding ?
Yes, there exist many worse situations in the world, but then again everyone lives differently and based on those differences they shape themselves and become strong and weak(strong and weak being firstly relative to their immediate society and secondly relative to the general world) . By your logic, it's the kid's fault who in his barely over a decade life didn't manage to become strong? Strength isn't innate and it's not something you acquire overnight.
Suicide is a choice. Influenced by a lot of things, i.e. feelings, impulses, alcohol and maybe even drugs.

Strength. The power to make rational decisions in this case. Like I said before, you are responsible for your own actions. If I drop a glass of milk, it is my own fault. If I end my own life, it is my choice and my fault. Not everybody is born into equal situations, this kid didn't have any luck for getting born into that family. I might have done the same if I were him. But ultimately you are given your life and have to live with it as it is, regardless of emotional strength or not.
Nov 4, 2012 2:03 AM

Oct 2012
This story - I'm not falling for it.
Nov 4, 2012 2:03 AM

Jun 2011
I just read the title of this thread and I immediately burst into laughter. LOL.
Nov 4, 2012 2:17 AM

Mar 2011
Karpman said:
Suicide is a choice. Influenced by a lot of things, i.e. feelings, impulses, alcohol and maybe even drugs.

Strength. The power to make rational decisions in this case. Like I said before, you are responsible for your own actions. If I drop a glass of milk, it is my own fault. If I end my own life, it is my choice and my fault. Not everybody is born into equal situations, this kid didn't have any luck for getting born into that family. I might have done the same if I were him. But ultimately you are given your life and have to live with it as it is, regardless of emotional strength or not.

Which is also relevant. I applaud you for your world perception, and a third person can say that you are the one truly right, but this knowledge is not privilege of everyone in the world, and even though a lot know it fewer know it as experience and as conviction.

Choice is a variable depending on how many alternatives you are given and how many you can think yourself. It's not like you are given a test and you only get to choose between a/b/c/d.

I think you are once again oversimplyfying things. Throwing everything to self-responsibility is not the answer. Ofc, glorifying and making the kid look as a saint isn't my point either(since I 'd like to believe that suicide should not be encouraged), but when you consider his age, it's particularly hard to put the blame on him.

Your words(and specifically your last sentence) should be viewed as a teaching, a creed if you want, that one should be taught and teach in return(as a parent, as a teacher and as a human). But it's not an absolute truth, or a biological/scientific fact(even mice commit suicide en mass sometimes). And even though it exists at the back of everyone's head it can be easily misconcieved and/or rejected. For example, for all I know, that kid might as well have mistaken suicide as his own form of strength (the post he wrote in some forum, according to the article, leads me to believe that).
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 4, 2012 2:19 AM

Apr 2012
onedaysnotice said:
I just read the title of this thread and I immediately burst into laughter. LOL.

Same.
Dies Irae! :)
Nov 4, 2012 2:36 AM
Mar 2012
Kanic said:
Choice is a variable depending on how many alternatives you are given and how many you can think yourself. It's not like you are given a test and you only get to choose between a/b/c/d.
In this case, strength would be to power to create "e" right? He still had more than one option. Though his depression might have clouded the options presented to him.

Kanic said:
I think you are once again oversimplyfying things. Throwing everything to self-responsibility is not the answer. Ofc, glorifying and making the kid look as a saint isn't my point either(since I 'd like to believe that suicide should not be encouraged), but when you consider his age, it's particularly hard to put the blame on him.
I do understand that not only his own decisions and life led to him committing suicide, but as well the supposed mother and grandmother. Of course they are at blame as well. It was their actions, which led into a chain reaction of worsening this kid's emotional stance and view on his life.

Kanic said:
Your words(and specifically your last sentence) should be viewed as a teaching, a creed if you want, that one should be taught and teach in return(as a parent, as a teacher and as a human). But it's not an absolute truth, or a biological/scientific fact(even mice commit suicide en mass sometimes). And even though it exists at the back of everyone's head it can be easily misconcieved and/or rejected. For example, for all I know, that kid might as well have mistaken suicide as his own form of strength (the post he wrote in some forum, according to the article, leads me to believe that).
Indeed, I won't deny that it was most likely not an easy choice for him to make, but nonetheless he did it. This could also be seen as a form of strength, but with his understanding of the meaning of strength, he made that choice. And I feel that he is responsible for it, partially.
Nov 4, 2012 2:50 AM

Mar 2011
^I think it's 50/50. The first half falls on the world (in other words a huge group of people) who create conditions and social rules that make the individual feel ostracised.
And the other half is the individual for succumbing to them. If I were to not include the latter half I would be lying, there is choice no matter how clouded your options are. But then again it is hard to imagine that everyone has the brains/skill/spirit/mentality(insert whatever you like here) to create new choice and grow the strength meant to go through with them in the most honest , truthful and strong manner, especially since most choices are also a byproduct of the immediate society.
So basically, depending on your life that 50-50 can change to something like 90-10 (similar to our case).

Then again the fist half is distributed among many individuals so you can say that the latter half is definetely always more important since it falls on only one-the individual at hand. Ergo, you are mostly correct, and we are at a deadend XD.

Hopefully this conversation benefited both of us and others, despite the lack of absolute answer.
KanicNov 4, 2012 3:53 AM
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 4, 2012 8:56 AM

Jun 2012
Of course!

Isn't that the most logical thing to do?
but you don't even know how dank my memes are
Nov 4, 2012 9:00 AM

Aug 2009
Necro-sama said:
'A 14-year-old boy leapt more than 100ft to his death from the top of an apartment block in Chaikovsky, Russia, after seeing his favourite manga character killed in a cartoon.

Police say Leonid Hmelev died instantly.

The boy was reportedly devastated after seeing the death of the character Itachi Uchiha in the animated movie 'Naruto - Hurricane Chronicle'.

He left home after posting a message on a social networking site saying he was also 'planning an ending'.

His worried parents raised the alarm after he did not return home and a search was organised together with neighbours.

After being missing for two days his body was found yesterday and he was identified by his devastated father Ivan, 38.

He said: 'I always told him he spent too much time watching the TV - he didn't know what was reality and what was fiction anymore.'

Teenage suicide in Russia is endemic. It has the third-highest teenage suicide rate in the world, just behind its neighbours Belarus and Kazakhstan and more than three times that of the United States.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2226324/Russian-teen-leaps-apartment-block-seeing-favourite-Japanese-cartoon-character-die-television.html

And you guys thought that Amanda Todd was dumb.

We got people in shit hole war torn 3rd world countries who suffered through all kinds of atrocities, people with stage 4 cancer and other terminal diseases, people with life sentences in prison, people with most of their limbs lost, starving people in dirt poor 3rd world countries and all sorts of other people with what many would consider actual legitimate reasons to commit suicide and yet they hang onto their lives and try living. But some loser in Russia decided to throw his life away because a fictional character dies in a cartoon/comic book. Life is a gift, it shouldn't be thrown away over some stupid shit,especially stupid shit that isn't real. I don't buy the depression excuse, its another one of those fake diseases like obesity that only affect wealthy or well to do nations.
I think many suicidal idiots should get some perspective. Maybe stick them in some shit hole 3rd world war torn county for a few weeks, have them visit a cancer clinic and meet all the people who are trying get their cancer treated.
Nov 4, 2012 9:01 AM

Sep 2010

It would seem that the above contributed to the issue more so than the death of a fav anime character. Quite possibly that teen was already on the thinking about killing himself anyway and the anime character dying just happened to be last thing he needed to actually do it.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.