3It was OK
6.8%
2Disliked it
1.3%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.6
309 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 29, 2012 11:01 AM

Sep 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
If episode 3 was the best episode last week for Girls und Panzer, then this episode is now the best of the series.

We have street battle

and mass tank battle

St. Gloriana Academy just loves to drink tea inside the tank

The kids just want to have fun watching the chase and hunt in town

Miho even got to become a fish

And the tournament is coming!
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 29, 2012 11:21 AM

Nov 2008
Closest tank battle ever, love the Urban combat for sure, I can say that St Gloriana have quite the strategy, and why didn't Orai just shoot a few rocks down right after Miho was safely next to them, it would've stopped St. Gloriana's advance for a while. I also wonder why are civilians watching this from town when there are TVs and such in safer areas, those tanks have live and deadly ammo and one wayward shot will kill and those tend to occur very often. I wasn't expecting a tread separation happening though.

Hana's mother doesn't approve of Hana being in sensha-do well and I'm surprised she fainted at the fact at first. I'm glad she changed her mind.

The tournament is coming up next episode.

Oct 29, 2012 11:56 AM

Apr 2011
This episode is way awesome than last one. I love how they took the battle in the towns. Team A took the most kills but lost in the end. The ankor dance was really, really embarassing. Now we know why the girls are so scared about it. The little drama between Hana and her mom proved to be little to no development as it was over in just a few minutes or so.

There was little break for the girls as they already start preparing for the tournament, Whoa at a scene of an army of Shermans. I'm glad the loli group apologized to Miho after they suddenly run away and abandoned their tank. They should have join the dance as well.

btw, anyone knows the name of music played before the ED? I heard it before but don't know the title.
MagitoOct 29, 2012 5:59 PM
Oct 29, 2012 12:47 PM
Oct 2012
Battle Hymn of the Republic - try singing: "Glory glory, hallelujah" to the music!

This is, by far, the most enjoyable anime of the season and the one I look forward to with the most anticipation. There may be "better" animation out there, but this is the one that is the most fun to watch.
Kudos to the writer and director for finding that rare balance between humor and farce. This is what makes these episodes so enjoyable.

I hope they flush out Yukari's character a bit more. Read the Manga, where she is far more the central character, and her history is something that most people here can probably identify with. For her tanks, for me the Civil War. Its nice to see her being able to live her dream.
Takuan_SohoOct 29, 2012 12:54 PM
Oct 29, 2012 1:51 PM

Jul 2010
I found it a bit scary seeing those spectators that close to the tank battles on the street. Talk about being up close and personal!
Oct 29, 2012 5:10 PM

Oct 2012
From the first episode it was already clear that this anime series is a classic that is going to be discussed for years. The five girls belong to the "Ankou" team (アンコウ or あんこう or 鮟鱇). It is a kind of fish called Monkfish, Goosefish or Anglerfish in English. Check Google to see that it is amazingly ugly, unlike the cute pink cartoon version on their tank. There really is an Ankou Dance Festival (大洗舞祭&大洗あんこう祭). I don't know how embarrassing it is in real life, but you can see a photo of some of the actual dancers here: http://www.town.oarai.lg.jp/~kankouka/asobu/info_g_6_795.html
The Ooarai Dance Festival is Saturday, November 17, 2012 and the Ankou festival is on Sunday.
I hope a lot of GaruPan fans will be there.
See the above link for info, although it is all in Japanese.

The cartoon at the left is an Ankou fish.

Here are some other great Ankou dance images:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/threadstoper1000/imgs/e/5/e539e69f.jpg
http://blog-imgs-50.fc2.com/r/o/u/rouzekimono/1351527530030.jpg
okanaganNov 1, 2012 3:20 AM
Oct 29, 2012 5:45 PM

Oct 2012
In North America we usually associate the Hula Dance (フラダンス) with Hawaii. But here are some girls performing the Hula at the Ooarai Ankou Dance Festival in recent years:
2010 大洗あんこう祭り 茨城フラダンススクール http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_PUiFCs1w
2011 大洗あんこう祭り 茨城フラダンススクール http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzFwu_BmyQ4
Here you can see the Ankou fish at the festival last year:
2011 大洗あんこう祭 あんこう吊るし切り http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG8RJAwf0MY
okanaganOct 29, 2012 5:51 PM
Oct 29, 2012 9:51 PM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
From the first episode it was already clear that this anime series is a classic that is going to be discussed for years. The five girls belong to the "Ankou" team (アンコウ or あんこう or 鮟鱇). It is a kind of fish called Monkfish, Goosefish or Anglerfish in English. Check Google to see that it is amazingly ugly, unlike the cute pink cartoon version on their tank.

It is indeed very ugly, but it is also very tasty too (particularly the liver). Anko-nabe (hot pot with anko fish) is one of my favorite Japanese food ;-)

okanagan said:

Here you can see the Ankou fish at the festival last year:
2011 大洗あんこう祭 あんこう吊るし切り http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG8RJAwf0MY

I learn something new here! I never see how an anko fish being cut up so it is a very informative video you share with us.

okanagan said:
There really is an Ankou Dance Festival (大洗舞祭&大洗あんこう祭). I don't know how embarrassing it is in real life, but you can see a photo of the dancers here: http://www.town.oarai.lg.jp/~kankouka/asobu/info_g_6_795.html The Ooarai Dance Festival is Saturday, November 17, 2012 and the Ankou festival is on Sunday. I hope a lot of GaruPan fans will be there.

Wow... The staff TRULY love Ooarai the place !!! I notice that tons of Ooarai shops and people are being given special thanks credit in every episode. And so much of the anime is based on this place from the school name to the town scenes and now the dance as well !!

Ibaraki prefecture is getting more anime based on it - for example, the village in Shinsekai Yori is located in the present-day Ibrakai prefecture (although I doubt Shinsekai Yori fans will make pilgrimage tour there)
symbvOct 30, 2012 12:37 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 29, 2012 10:21 PM

Jul 2008
And there will be a future episode full of Shermans (to reflect the sheer number of Shermans made in "our" history).

The birthdays of the main characters coincide with the start of major World War II operations: German Invasion of Poland (Sept. 1), German Invasion of the Soviet Union (June 22), Second Battle of El Alamein (October 23), Normandy Invasion (June 6), and Battle of the Bulge (December 16).

Some partial translation notes on the rules for Senshadou/Panzerkraft that was included with the series notes:
-You are not allowed to hit any people with the (tank) cannon. To kill someone like that would disqualify you. You can only disable the tank's body.
-Both the ammunition used and the armour plating are regulated. So you can't use some dodgy special ammo that cuts a tank in half and kill everyone (there was actually a comment in Episode 4 about this with the use of carbon rounds).
-The battlefield is out of bounds for 3 days until the match begins. Everyone gets maps and details of the area. If there is a disagreement of the battlefield choice you can object during the first 24 hours to the Federation in writing. And they would sort it out.

Here are the "Don'ts"
1.Do not use any tools and materials outside what is regulated.
2. Do not deliberately leave the designated battlefield area.
3. Do not directly fire at people.
4. Do not attack any vehicle that have been disabled.
5. Do not be disrespectful to the umpire or the competitors.
6. Do not throw a match by not trying. Above rules would disqualify you.

How to lose the battle:
1. When your tank can no longer fight.
2. When the crew decided to surrunder.
3. When the umpire decided your suffered so much damage that you can't can't be allowed to continue.
4. When you broke regulations.

Once your tank is out of the match, you are not allowed to move until the umpire tell you it is over.

Compensation:
Any damage to buildings and roads within the designated battlefield would be restored using compensatory payments handed out by the Tankery federation.
Oct 29, 2012 11:26 PM

Sep 2012
Before I know it I ended up watching this episode for THREE times, my first this season !!

Random thoughts:

Still cannot bring myself to dislike Anzu the student council president. I love her even more by her decision to join Miho's team in the Anko Dance!

The captain of St Gloriana Academy has such pride, calmness and honor, confidently drinking tea in a tank doing battle. KitaEri the seiyuu wins again.

LOL at the volleyball team playing volleyball, student council (actually only Anzu) lying idle on a folded bed behind the turret, and team D playing Daiugo card game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daifug%C5%8D) while waiting for Miho to return

LOL at the rout of the 6-member team D. Great that they know they need to apologize for that.

LOL at the berserk mode of the monocled student council vice-president !!

LOL at Anzu's laid back comment at the travails of her 38(t) tank -- apparently 38(t) tank is indeed notorious for having track problem!

LOL "Use the Ooarai urban terrain to our advantage" "Why not!" "Ooarai is our backyard!"

LOL at the advertisement banners outside the pharmacy - the drugs in the ads: "Leopard D" "Junkers koutei drink" :-D :-D

LOL at fighting an urban battle with tanks. LOL when the local shop owners get delighted when the tanks hit their shops!

LOL at the various tricks of knocking out the Matilda tanks. But even a point-blank range hit at the rear by Type 89 tank cannot knock out a Matilda?!

LOL at the confidence about the low silhouette of Stug III forgetting their sengoku-era banners are hoisted up high!

LOL at St.Gloriana's KitaEri char saying, on top of a Churchill tank, that "As the English say 'All’s fair in love and war'"

LOL at the sudden appearance of student council's tank and it saves Miho by being the ultimate sacrifice !

The end of the battle: Is it because the armor of Churchill is so much better that even simultaneous hits mean it is Type IV that gets knocked out not Churchill?

The maneuver battle is fast-paced and fluid. I think it was animated very well. And I particularly like how it links back to the beginning of Ep.1 when Miho was doing recon at the Churchill/Matilda tanks.

And the confrontation of Hana and her mother just reminds me of some of the prejudices against girls learning the Naginata, a poled knife now practiced as a martial art mainly for girls. I am quite certain that Senshado got is inspiration from Naginata-do !

And the ED -- only now do I notice that the girls featured in the ED animation changes in every episode. Last week it was the student council; this week it is the volleyball team!

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN !!!!

EDIT: Find that the director Mizushima also did the storyboard for this episode!

Find that St.Gloriana girls all have tea as their names, starting from KitaEri's Darjeeling ! (her deputy is named Orange Pekoe)
symbvOct 30, 2012 12:31 AM

Oct 30, 2012 12:42 AM

Apr 2011
Thank you Entropy13 for the rules. It makes sense now.

symbv said:
Before I know it I ended up watching this episode for THREE times, my first this season !!

I've watch the raw twice and I'll be watching a few more when the subs gets out. Just wanna say that I've watch episode seven times already. Senshado with the right set of rules and regulations can be a good sport. I think.

Random thoughts:
Oct 30, 2012 1:09 AM

Apr 2008
symbv said:
LOL at fighting an urban battle with tanks. LOL when the local shop owners get delighted when the tanks hit their shops!
Like insurance scam, but legal :D
Oct 30, 2012 1:17 AM

Sep 2012
Check out the Ooarai Girls' School team and its tanks!
http://blog-imgs-51.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/1351525875168.jpg

Oct 30, 2012 1:45 AM

Sep 2012
Watching it for the fourth time keeps springing new discoveries:

The card games team D plays has Panjandrum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjandrum ), the secret British weapon for Normandy landing, on the cards !!

When Miho etc went to the town after the match/dance to buy things, in the first scene the sign board on the right reads "MARKET GARDEN" !!!

Let's do the Ankou Dance !!!!

Oct 30, 2012 2:13 AM
Sep 2012
Those spectators are too close at the battles!!!
Oct 30, 2012 5:02 AM
Jun 2008
well i say quite oops & WHAT

so tank battle give looking fine til all fall apart from pink tank crew run away to student council tank going fire wild & stuck make 5 on 3?

then take battle to the city sure got 1 but now 4 on 1 til student council tank appear & fire but missed in front of the target are you serious bro?

cue comeback but in end failed doing loser dance after battle time relax til hana's mom going NO why my daughter doing tank give reason for now leave the family.

after long day pink tank crew sorry for being coward now for tournament tank battles beings.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Oct 30, 2012 5:04 AM

Apr 2010
Nice battle it looked like allot of fun especially when driving in those streets.
And the shop owner being happy about his shop being destroyed by that tank was so funny makes me wonder who covers the costs tho.
The student council missing at such a close range and then being destroyed was also a nice action and then off course that dance on the truck.

Isuzu's mother not accepting her daughters wishes and even telling her not to set foot in her house again was pretty harsh.
I hope she can understand her daughters wishes at some point.

The enemy was also pretty nice they thought they had a easy battle ahead of them which turned out to be a pretty hard one and the even acknowledged Oarai's team.
Those teacups looked nice.
Must have been hard for Miho to be compared to her sister tho.

Also C teams tank had Veni vidi vice written on it which definitely is one of the most awesome sentences written on a tank.
AversaOct 30, 2012 5:07 AM
Oct 30, 2012 5:23 AM

Sep 2012
Aversa said:

Also C teams tank had Veni vidi vice written on it which definitely is one of the most awesome sentences written on a tank.

Should be "Veni Vidi Vici" I think...

Don't forget at the bank of the tank there is "Vergießt Schweiß - aber kein Blut" painted on it. So the back is a nod to the WWII German buff in the team.

With VENI VIDI VICI the front is a nod to the Roman buff in the team.

The banners hoisted on the right side of the tank have symbols from the Makumatsu (the end of Edo Shogunate era) time and so is a nod to the Makumatsu buff in the team.

The banners hoisted on the left side of the tank have symbols from the Sengoku-era (Warring States of Japan) and so is a nod to the Sengoku buff in the team.

Oct 30, 2012 5:39 AM

Apr 2011
Aversa said:

I find it awesome to put that there. But they should really remove the banners and the change the colors back normal camouflage. The color scheme is like painting a huge bullseye saying "HIT ME!" on it and it prove to be one of the reason for their loss.
Oct 30, 2012 7:04 AM

Sep 2012
ST GLORIANA ACADEMY'S THEME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55OCRmCjRno

Oct 30, 2012 7:39 AM

Aug 2012
haha, you know a anime is awesome when the start playing Battle Hymn of the Republic and The British Grenadiers... love this anime xD
RabbiacOct 30, 2012 7:53 AM
Oct 30, 2012 7:43 AM

Sep 2012
Kay, the captain of Saunders, the school with the Sherman tanks, which Miho and gang will face in the first match of the tournament

Oct 30, 2012 9:01 AM

Sep 2012
Whoa. The family part was so rushed.
The first part of the episode was cool.
Oct 30, 2012 9:29 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Watching it for the fourth time keeps springing new discoveries:
When Miho etc went to the town after the match/dance to buy things, in the first scene the sign board on the right reads "MARKET GARDEN" !!!

That was awesome wasn't it? I noticed the poster first because it reminded me of the movie "a Bridge too Far" and then to see that it was an ad for the "Market Garden". That's an in joke within an in joke.

If the British tank symbol is tea, and tea becomes its motif, I quiver at the thought of what the American motif will be with a name like saunders. Fried chicken :-)

I really like the way the Student Council was flushed out this episode, the Kaichou's enjoyment at doing the Ankou dance was perfect; the passive-aggression of the Vice President is always fun to listen to; and does anyone else think that Momo's extreme transformation is a cathartic release of all the pent up stress and humiliation she experiences with the President? Makes one wonder if she really wanted to get blitzed by four tanks!

The writer and director deserve a great deal of respect. They have quickly developed the characters to the point that we can easily sympathize and laugh with what happens to them, their attention to detail is remarkable, which promises to make the upcoming episodes even more enjoyable.
Oct 30, 2012 9:35 AM

Apr 2011
First was the British, it's the Americans. And they said this was a national tournament.

I've watched Commies' subs without the German parts and helps with understand more about certain scenes.

-Miho commented that the internal of the tanks was coated with Carbon. I wonder how that protects them?
-Now I know why the old man was happy when the tank crash on his shop, so he can renovate it. lol
- The girls will definitely fight the Saunders Private High. I just love the song The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Kept listening to it a lot after the episode.
- Also, Miho have definitely became commander when Anzu finally leave the Strategies to her and not Momo.
MagitoOct 30, 2012 9:46 AM
Oct 30, 2012 10:20 AM

Jul 2008
The Type-89 I-Go is actually sorely underpowered that even pointblank and at the Matilda's rear it wouldn't really be much damaging. It was already obsolete in the early 30s, and it's going against late 30s/early 40s tanks that aren't exactly exceptional (albeit the Matilda is a step in the right direction for British tanks).
Oct 30, 2012 10:26 AM

Apr 2011
I'm hoping they'll either upgrade or replace with a different and better tank. Maybe like the Matilda or the Sherman. They volleyball team's tactics where clever but severely lacked the firepower.
Oct 30, 2012 10:34 AM

Sep 2012
Magito said:
I'm hoping they'll either upgrade or replace with a different and better tank. Maybe like the Matilda or the Sherman. They volleyball team's tactics where clever but severely lacked the firepower.

It is precisely what the director said in his twitter. He said as the team moved up in the tournament league more and more firepower is needed and he wonders what he should do X-D

Oct 30, 2012 11:50 AM
May 2010
Goodbye mother. Panzerfahren is serious business.

Aren't these girls supposed to be inexperienced, except Miho? Yet they drive tanks like pros, lol. And regulations or not, one miss and there'll be dead spectators...

Whatever. This is surprisingly hilarious.
(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!
Oct 30, 2012 12:02 PM

Oct 2011
Nice action packed episode - as i was expecting :)
but those Matildas were quick, maybe bit too much not to mention climbing up (they had some problems with this AFAIK).

Next episode seems to have Shermans, so no problems here.
Ok for Type 89 or 38(t) but StuG should have a lot of fun with those.
I would like to see that Russian school quicker - probably mostly T-34 or IS... but some KV or T-35 (I love insane design of it) would be interesting.
Oct 30, 2012 12:12 PM

Sep 2012
I've just taken a look at 2ch and those fans were decoding which country the schools joining the tournament represents...

The screenshot
http://i.imgur.com/D5kjf.jpg

We already know that
8 - Miho's team (Ooarai - mixed nationalities)
7 - Sauders (US)
10 - St Gloriana (UK)

And for the rest
1 - Viking (Sweden?)
2 - Koala (Aussie?)
3 - Pravda (USSR)
5 - Magino (?)
6 - Anzio (Italy)
9 - BC Free -> Vichy Free (France?)
11 - Yoghurt (?)
13 - Kuromorihachi (Miho's sister's school)
14 - Chihatan -> nickname of the type-98 tank of Japan (Japan)
16 - Continuation -> Continuation War (Finland)

Oct 30, 2012 12:34 PM
Sep 2012
harmann said:
Goodbye mother. Panzerfahren is serious business.

Aren't these girls supposed to be inexperienced, except Miho? Yet they drive tanks like pros, lol. And regulations or not, one miss and there'll be dead spectators...

Whatever. This is surprisingly hilarious.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw them driving past that crowd on the side of the road. Completely unrealistic, but fun to watch.

LOL at the shop keepers wanting the tanks to destroy their shops.

Feel so sorry for Hana being essentially disowned b y her mom just for following her dream.
Liph said:
haha, you know a anime is awesome when the start playing Battle Hymn of the Republic and The British Grenadiers... love this anime xD
So that's what those songs were. I knew I heard them before but I never knew their titles. Great songs that fit this show.
Oct 30, 2012 12:41 PM

Oct 2011
symbv said:
5 - Magino (?)
6 - Anzio (Italy)

I would say that number 5 is France - they had some funny tanks from before 2WW.
Oct 30, 2012 1:17 PM

Sep 2010
tanks drifting. Tanks.Drifting. TANKS... F*CKING... DRIFTING

my life is now complete
CatastrophicOct 30, 2012 1:21 PM
Oct 30, 2012 1:22 PM

Jun 2010
Catastrophic said:

you should watch Valkyria Chronicles.
Oct 30, 2012 1:27 PM

Sep 2010
punkvolume1 said:
Catastrophic said:

you should watch Valkyria Chronicles.

have the game and the anime is shit
/offtopic
Oct 30, 2012 1:38 PM

Sep 2012
Best episode of this anime so far. The match was great and I couldn't stop laughing during the family part. Th tournament looks really promising,
symbv said:
Check out the Ooarai Girls' School team and its tanks!
http://blog-imgs-51.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/1351525875168.jpg

What are the names of the girls in Team C please?

Dalek-baka said:
symbv said:
5 - Magino (?)
6 - Anzio (Italy)

I would say that number 5 is France - they had some funny tanks from before 2WW.

Number 5 and number 9 are definitely French.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_libre

I hope one of those will go far in this tournament, though I doubt it since they are French.LOL
Oct 30, 2012 2:50 PM

Aug 2012
Catastrophic said:

my life is now complete

symbv said:

1 - Viking (Sweden?)

Either Norway or Sweden, we had Stridsvagn_m/41 and Stridsvagn_m/42 tanks and both where kinda descent so...
RabbiacOct 31, 2012 4:04 AM
Oct 30, 2012 3:44 PM

Jan 2012
This is quite fun.
Oct 30, 2012 4:13 PM

Nov 2011
The battle was great, the remaining, not so much

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 30, 2012 4:32 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
The Churchill was considered heavily armored even by late war standards, but, it's gun was lacking. Not counting close support or engineering variants, at best it had either the 6pdr or the American (short) 75mm - neither of which were in the same league as the guns on the German Tiger I (short 88mm) or Panther (long 75mm), never mind the more powerful 88mm on the Tiger II. However, it's just fine for dealing with the misfit collection our heroes have.

symbv said:
The kids just want to have fun watching the chase and hunt in town

I think the girls in that shot are the wayward crew members of the M3...
CratexOct 30, 2012 4:38 PM
Oct 30, 2012 4:33 PM

Oct 2012
I had a question about Sodoko. She is the Chairman of the Discipline Committee (風紀委員長), so she always stands at the front gate to record who shows up late. And of course Mako shows up late every single day. The part I don't understand is about Sodoko's name.

In Episode 4, as they all arrive back at the ship, they say this:

20:31 Sodoko "You made it back just in time..."
20:32 Miho "Sorry."
20:33 Mako "Sorry, Sodoko."
20:35 Sodoko "Don't call me that."

In Episode 2 when we first saw Mako show up late for school, she quietly muttered "Sodoko" and Sodoko seemed offended by that.

Is it clear that calling her "Sodoko" is insulting in some way? Her real name is Midoriko Sono (園 みどり子 or その みどりこ). Thus, "Sodoko" is a typical Japanese way of forming an abbreviated nickname by combining syllables from the first and last names.

PLEASE SEE POST #46 BELOW WHICH GIVES A GREAT EXPLANATION OF THIS !
THANK YOU TAKUAN_SOHO !

okanaganNov 1, 2012 2:33 AM
Oct 30, 2012 4:39 PM

Nov 2011
Oct 30, 2012 4:40 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Oh, regarding my thoughts on this episode. I'm torn between "appalled", "stunned" and "amazed". :)
Oct 30, 2012 4:51 PM

Jan 2011
the battle was nice was shocked when they were heading into town with people watching it but seeing those old men loving their shops get blown up it was pretty good lol

looking forward to seeing all these teams and what tanks they have.

Tanks be drifting yo!
Oct 30, 2012 6:58 PM
Oct 2012
okanagan said:
I have a question about Sodoko. lah.

But this sounds way too complicated and obscure to be the real reason why Mako chose that nickname and why Sodoko doesn't like it.

Any ideas?

Japanese culture:
1) Japan is still a formal society. When meeting someone you call them by their name (with honorific) or their title. Being allowed to call them by their first name, or even a nickname, is a very big deal. Mako, in using a nickname, by itself, is insulting.

2) Japan is a hierarchical society. Sodoko is acting in her capacity as 風紀委員長, in Japan, when a person is acting in the capacity of a position of respect, even their best friends should treat the title with respect. Mako, in using a nickname, is again being insulting.

Naming formality is a big deal in Japan. Saki is a good animation to watch to understand this dynamic: it shows how important a change in name status can be. Two examples are when Saki switches from Haramura-san to Nodoka-chan, or how aggressive Kana is when she asks Mihoko to use first names. One of the reasons the use of business cards is so important in Japan is because until someone sees the business card they have no idea what social treatment they should apply to the other person. The Japanese language has different nouns and verbs that are used for people with different social status.

In this particular case, I have a feeling that Mako and Sodoko were childhood friends, and Mako is using their childhood nickname to poke fun at the over serious Sodoko.

Another factor to consider is the age old struggle between talent and hard work. Sodoko obviously wants to have a high social status, which is why she becomes the school monitor. Mako achieves a higher status easily solely because of her talent. This is why she can be tardy over 200 times, and why Sodoko makes the point of saying she doesn't care (though the school obviously does).
Takuan_SohoOct 30, 2012 7:22 PM
Oct 30, 2012 7:10 PM

Apr 2008
Aversa said:
Isuzu's mother not accepting her daughters wishes and even telling her not to set foot in her house again was pretty harsh.
I hope she can understand her daughters wishes at some point.
CMIIW, Hana's family is like Miho's but with flower art right ? She could've been prepared as heir to the tradition.
If she's their only daughter, they'd be as pissed off as the Nishizumi family if both Miho and Maho quits tank.
Oct 30, 2012 7:20 PM
Jan 2011
why this anime is getting more and more interesting
i'm very looking forward next episode
Oct 30, 2012 7:44 PM
Oct 2012
nseika said:
Aversa said:

If she's their only daughter, they'd be as pissed off as the Nishizumi family if both Miho and Maho quits tank.

Yep, in Japan Family Succession is another "big deal". When the family has a tradition (such as Flower Arranging), this becomes an even bigger deal. Disowning children is the ultimate threat for parents to make in Japan, it is a form of exile. The loss of social status this represents is a serious matter, getting a job at a good company is next to impossible. Family really matters in Japan. Children who marry without their parents permission will be disowned (though, if things work out, eventually they will be invited back).

A couple of people have commented how "abbreviated" this episode seemed. This is only true to people who don't understand Japanese culture. In Japan, a family tradition is more than a craft, it also contains a philosophy, a belief that a certain way to do something is the proper way to do it. There are different schools of Japanese arts (in this case Ikebana, or flower arranging) each with their own philosophy, so when Isuzu says she wants a different flower, she is making a pretty profound statement that her family tradition (which probably dates back hundreds of years) is inadequate. This is not only a rebuke on her mother, but also her entire family (and ancestors), and is a statement her mother couldn't let pass. Isuzu knew the consequences for her actions up front, which is why she didn't want to tell her mother.

People say that the Japanese are conformist. This is mostly true, but not entirely. People can rebel, but what they can't expect is for people to help them. The price to throw away tradition is exile. Only if one succeeds will they be welcomed back. This dynamic explains Isuzu and her retainers reactions. She shows that she has the determination to succeed, he declares that he will wait for her to succeed, but it is up to her to prove that her rebellion was correct. The price for failure is banishment.
Oct 30, 2012 8:16 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Awesome! Those tank battles in this anime were really exciting! I was so thrilled and had a lot of fun watching that. :D They even took the battles in the urban area and that's where it got more interesting. Too bad Ooarai lost but they put up a great fight so congratulations to them. :)

I thought the old man would get mad when he saw his shop got smashed by a tank but instead, he was overjoyed because he could finally have his shop renovated. Haha!

Tournament's coming up, huh? How exciting! My body's ready for next ep!

Only a few more girls from Ooarai Academy whose names I still do not know.. D: Such as the volleyball team... But the volleyball team were so cute in the ED! ^^
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

symbv - Mar 18, 2013

167 by giannis85 »»
Jan 21, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2012

191 by giannis85 »»
Jan 18, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2012

191 by yakisobaman »»
Jan 17, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

symbv - Dec 10, 2012

320 by giannis85 »»
Jan 4, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2012

164 by giannis85 »»
Nov 20, 2023 2:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.