Forum Settings
Forums

Would you want to become god? (spoiler alert!)

New
Oct 12, 2008 7:49 PM
Sep 2008
One of the things that I find fascinating about anime is that characters often face situations that are hard to find in any other medium.

This week I finished watching Lain which remind me a little bit about the End of Evangelion and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. In its own way, each of these animes touches the theme of becoming god or finding out that you are god.

I was wondering how other people would feel?
Would you feel sad, happy, scared?
Is there anything you would do?
Would you want to know if you are god?

For example:
Lain spoiler:

Evangelion spoiler:

Some part of me would want to know that I have more power than that of a regular human being
However; I don’t think it would make happy to find out that I am god because in my case I would no longer care for other people

Anyway
How would you feel if you ever find out that you are god?

Mod edit: You're talking about the end of some anime here, so be sure to use spoilers tags where needed....
BourskOct 12, 2008 8:03 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 12, 2008 7:50 PM

Jul 2008
i think i would go crazy if that happened too much responsiblity
Oct 12, 2008 7:51 PM

May 2008
God or god, I'll take either one.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 12, 2008 7:51 PM

Apr 2008
I'd be fucking thrilled. I can't see any downside.

Though I think the world would be displeased to find out its new overlord was a raging sociopath with a penchant for revisionist history.
Oct 12, 2008 8:03 PM

Mar 2008
Downsides to being God:

1) People keep on praying to you etc etc
2) You are everything and everyone, thereby you would continuously feel birth and death all over and over and over.
3) you have to look over the entire world.

Upsides to being God:

1) Unlimited Power
2) Immortality
3) Super Powers?
4) All-knowing.

(EDIT: More to come)

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Oct 12, 2008 8:04 PM

Aug 2006
I don't think I would care so much.

I'd be to conscientious and paranoid about fucking things up to try and change the world in any major way, but I wouldn't feel any incredible burden of 'responsibility' or anything.

Shinji and Lain already had problems before they found out anything. Which is probably why their choices seem kinda drastic.

I guess I would just use any powers I possessed to benefit me is small ways.
Oct 12, 2008 8:05 PM

Nov 2007
Yes because maybe life will be interesting and no one will bug me to study for tests!(not that I ever study>.<)
Oct 12, 2008 8:05 PM

Apr 2008
Baby_Naruto said:
Downsides to being God:

1) People keep on praying to you etc etc
2) You are everything and everyone, thereby you would continuously feel birth and death all over and over and over.
3) you have to look over the entire world.

1. This doesn't have to effect you.
2. Depends on your definition of god.
3. Not necessarily, a god can look over whatever they want. They can watch a 7/11 in Poughkeepsie intensely for 20 years if they want.
PlateOct 12, 2008 8:10 PM
Oct 12, 2008 8:10 PM

Nov 2007
Well, if we're talking an all powerful god that most major religions worship, sure, why not. It's not like you have to do anything; they sure as hell don't. Omnipotent and omnipresent with no responsibility? Why not.
Oct 12, 2008 8:33 PM

May 2008
I think people here need to differentiate here between 'God' and 'god'.
God is considered to be the more ultimate force of something.
Such as the "God" in Christianity.

'god' in the lowercase is simply more comparable to the kami in Japanese religion.
And there's a wide range of spirits that can be considered kami depending on if it's strong polytheism or soft polytheism.

In the Pagan sense that I believe God is the Deist(Spirit World above and beyond the universe) and Pantheist(all encompassing force that makes up the universe, and especially living things) while gods are just really important clumps.

Because just because I believe everything in the universe is God, does not mean I believe it is arranged all the same. Just as the universe is made out of atoms and other subatomic structures, that are arranged differently, this too reflects on the universe being God and all, but arranged differently. All is not equal distributions of the same God force. In fact I believe it is where God lies, in these subatomic structures.

So in the sense that I believe, we are all already God. But not gods.
You have to be really powerful and blessed to be a god.

Oct 12, 2008 8:35 PM
Sep 2008
running_lemon said:

Shinji and Lain already had problems before they found out anything. Which is probably why their choices seem kinda drastic.

Jejeje… I agree,

But I don’t think it is just them, I believe anyone would freak
although I think each person would have their own reasons

If you find out that you are God, you are the one who decides what is right and wrong and there is no such thing as responsibilities unless you want to have them.
Oct 12, 2008 8:37 PM

Sep 2008
God as in Haruhi Suzumiya God I'd be completely fine with, since like, everything goes your way without you knowing it.

Being the Omnipotent God that is worshiped by a ton of people but really not having to do anything and just sit back and watch while occasionally sending some people to hell, that wouldn't be so bad either.
Oct 12, 2008 9:21 PM

Aug 2006
mahtan said:

If you find out that you are God, you are the one who decides what is right and wrong and there is no such thing as responsibilities unless you want to have them.

Eh, That brings up one problem I have with some established concepts of 'God,' let alone a human 'becoming' a god.

My answer before was for fun, but in seriousness:

I realize any god that would create objective 'rights' and 'wrongs' would be a higher entity then myself or any other human. One which would have access to a much more vast pool of knowledge then a human could even comprehend. Still though, regardless of this greater knowledge or experience, how can any conscious being make an 'objective choice' (if that even makes any kind of sense). Choice is still choice. It will always be subjective, so how can we have absolute confidence that the choices any 'God' makes about 'right' and wrong' is correct? Isn't it just His/Her belief based on His/Her knowledge? Similar to how a human would decide what they consider right and wrong?

Likewise, if there is some natural 'Law' that governs 'right' and 'wrong' and being a 'God' gives access to this knowledge, and a 'God' can then pass it through to us and the rest of the world, doesn't that mean there is just some higher power above 'God' that created those laws? Then what exactly does it mean to be a 'God?'

All of that was just rambling, but the conclusion is that answers to these questions and many others about 'God' and the universe are outside a human being's comprehension. If a human became a 'God' they wouldn't be a 'human' anymore. No human could understand what it would be like not to be a human. So, no human could know whether or not they would want to become a 'God' until they became one.

So your question is lost on us.
running_lemonOct 12, 2008 9:29 PM
Oct 12, 2008 10:39 PM

Feb 2008
"Would you want to become god?"
No, because then I wouldn't exist. :(
Oct 12, 2008 10:42 PM

Apr 2008
4saken said:

HIGH FIVE
Oct 12, 2008 10:44 PM

Feb 2008
4saken said:

Lmfao, my fucking hero. This. ^
Oct 12, 2008 10:53 PM

Dec 2007
4saken said:

Right on!
Oct 13, 2008 12:44 AM

Oct 2007
I would be such a lazy god xD

I'd just be chillin on a cloud all day watching some beautiful women down there with some headphones on to keep out all the annoying praying :P
Oct 13, 2008 1:15 AM

Apr 2007
Yeh beeing a god would be awesome.

I would Pick up Rocks and start dropping them near the City's to make people look in Awe to boost mij religion.

if they get bored with the Rock i'll start picking up trees instead.

Praying? no need for that in my religion.
I'll just get some children from the village and offer them at my temple to increase my power.

Oct 13, 2008 1:19 AM

Mar 2007
Yo lemon! Haven't seen you in quite a while. Nice to see you back again. ^_^

Now to go on topic...
running_lemon said:
I realize any god that would create objective 'rights' and 'wrongs' would be a higher entity then myself or any other human. One which would have access to a much more vast pool of knowledge then a human could even comprehend. Still though, regardless of this greater knowledge or experience, how can any conscious being make an 'objective choice' (if that even makes any kind of sense). Choice is still choice. It will always be subjective, so how can we have absolute confidence that the choices any 'God' makes about 'right' and wrong' is correct? Isn't it just His/Her belief based on His/Her knowledge? Similar to how a human would decide what they consider right and wrong?
If God would really have that much knowledge and experience than any human being may hope to have (as you're assuming), doesn't that mean that his decisions on what's right and wrong based on his knowledge and experience can be considered more of a fact than any human being may hope to define?
I hear you thinking "but that doesn't make God's decisions objective" (ok, so I dont. But let's move on for the sake of continuing this post). So then in the end, what is "objective" then? Facts. If I see an apple falling from a tree, experiment with that and conclude that there must be a force drawing the apple to the earth, is that objective? If so, then it's easy to conclude that God's conclusions based on his superior knowledge and experience are facts as well. If it isn't, how did we end up calling it a fact. Or is fact in fact subjective to begin with? If people choose to believe in science, we end up calling the existence of gravity a fact. So basically whatever God considers a fact is only a fact to the people who choose to believe in Him?

Also know that eventhough God may decide what's right and wrong, it's not like no one can disagree. That which is right or wrong is determined by one with power. Who can say what is right is wrong and what's wrong is right? You can only do so if you surpass the one with power with an even greater power. If you think your wages are too low, you can go on strike and show collective power to the administration. As a single person, you don't have the power to show your superiors that what they think are reasonable wages is in fact unreasonable.
Yet God would have the ultimate power, therefore His word cannot be overturned (unless God's power is defined with the belief people have for him).

running_lemon said:
Likewise, if there is some natural 'Law' that governs 'right' and 'wrong' and being a 'God' gives access to this knowledge, and a 'God' can then pass it through to us and the rest of the world, doesn't that mean there is just some higher power above 'God' that created those laws? Then what exactly does it mean to be a 'God?'
But still God created all and can still manipulate all. So if he created everything and 'laws' would somehow substantiate out of that, doesn't that make Him the original creator of those 'laws'? A child cannot have been born without its grandparents. Eventhough they weren't directly involved, they did have something to do with it..........
Oct 13, 2008 2:06 AM

Sep 2008
Advantage of being a god:
Make all humans suffer for the countless lists of logical fallacies in all self-righteousness the nigh entire species has made.

I'm game.
Perelman, martyr
Oct 13, 2008 2:07 AM

Aug 2006
It comes down to, is there an objective right and wrong?

If there is one, an omniscient 'God' should know what it is, but how?

Did he create it himself?
That can't be. Even if he had all the knowledge in existence, knowledge is just raw data. He would have to use that data to form an opinion about what's 'right' and what's 'wrong.' However, even the most well informed opinion possible is still an opinion. Of course it would be better then any human, but it would still be subjective 'right' and 'wrong'

Does objective 'right' and 'wrong' already exist, and 'God' is aware of it through his omniscience?
If that's so, what created that 'law' of what is right and what is wrong? Something above or outside of 'Gods' control? Then what does it mean to be 'God?'

Or maybe there is no such thing as an objective right or wrong. However if that's the case, then 'right' and 'wrong' as any 'God' teaches is still subjective and, even if based on a much more informed opinion, can still be disagreed with.

To me, the fact that something worthy of the title 'God' could be reasonably disagreed with is laughable.

The whole reason I used that argument though, was to try and illustrate a point I guess I failed at last time, but I'll try again.

To me, what i explained above could not possible be what a 'God' is. (Like I said, it would be laughable imo, if something worthy of that title could be disagreed with.) A 'God' in my eyes, would be able to somehow, in some way (for a lack of a better way to describe it) have an "objective opinion."

Now, that doesn't make sense, I know. I can't comprehend something like that, therefore, I would not be able to comprehend a 'God' who could somehow do it. It's entirely beyond me, and all humans. Therefore, a 'God' must be an entirely different creature, not with just infinite knowledge, but a higher plain of thought.

That being said, there is no way anybody in this thread, or anywhere could know if they wanted to be a 'God' or not (how could you know if you wanted to be a creature you can't even comprehend?)

Therefore, the topic creators original question is lost on us all.

Ugh, I think most of what i said is redundant, but oh well.
running_lemonOct 13, 2008 2:15 AM
Oct 13, 2008 2:42 AM

Oct 2007
I think if you turned from a normal human to a god you would have a fun for a while but I think it would wear off pretty quickly (1 life time maybe two?) then I think you'll start losing interest in the world as a whole I mean your a god your not actually part of the world any more, you don't live there everyone you once knew is dead so there is nothing that links you to the world.

I mean if I watched over all the wars that have been if they started an all out ww3 i would be like *yawn~~* not this again can't they come up with something original...
Oct 13, 2008 4:23 AM

Feb 2005
4saken said:

Quite so.

But If a god being did exist, I might want to be one, although it would depend on what exactly being a god means. Now, you couldn't possibly have all power over the entire universe, so god would really be nothing but a title given to those that seemed to be much more powerful than the observer, like how sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic. Like how we would seem to be gods to our neanderthal ancestors. But if you had a certain level of power, even if other lesser species thought you to be a god, you wouldn't really be one would you?

At any rate, I'm all for free handouts of raw power, so yes please.
Oct 13, 2008 5:52 AM

Jun 2007
4saken said:

Zing.

Anyway, I don't think I would like to be any kind of deity. I'm far too lazy as a human, so I wouldn't be able to make the most of being omnipotent and omnipresent.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Oct 13, 2008 6:01 AM

Dec 2007
Baman said:
4saken said:

Quite so.

But If a god being did exist, I might want to be one, although it would depend on what exactly being a god means. Now, you couldn't possibly have all power over the entire universe, so god would really be nothing but a title given to those that seemed to be much more powerful than the observer, like how sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic. Like how we would seem to be gods to our neanderthal ancestors. But if you had a certain level of power, even if other lesser species thought you to be a god, you wouldn't really be one would you?

At any rate, I'm all for free handouts of raw power, so yes please.

That's something i always found a very funny thing to think about. Imagine that you drive a tank into an aborigonal village where the population has no idea of the outside world. It'd be damn funny, they would think of you as god and all that. They could never know someone would be inside the vehicle. Just shoot someone every day and they will soon sacrifice people every day :D
Oct 13, 2008 6:15 AM

Feb 2005
Chavez said:
That's something i always found a very funny thing to think about. Imagine that you drive a tank into an aborigonal village where the population has no idea of the outside world. It'd be damn funny, they would think of you as god and all that. They could never know someone would be inside the vehicle. Just shoot someone every day and they will soon sacrifice people every day :D

And we are already manipulating life in laboratories, imagine if the bacteria and microorganisms were sentient, We would be their gods.

If a creature that seemed to be a god appeared before me, I wouldn't believe it no matter what tricks it pulled of, I'd still believe it was only a more scientifically advanced alien creature.
Good old Occam's razor.
Oct 13, 2008 7:05 AM

Jun 2007
Baman said:

Good old Occam's razor.

I agree, although sometimes the obvious answer is a little boring.

Oct 13, 2008 7:19 AM

Apr 2008
a god as in TMOHS, then yes..
although i would prefer Light in Death Note.

god as in christianity, islam and judaism? No, too much effort without reward
Oct 13, 2008 7:23 AM

Feb 2005
OranSolus said:
Baman said:

Good old Occam's razor.

That's why we have fiction.
And religion...
Oct 13, 2008 7:28 AM

Jun 2007
Baman said:
OranSolus said:
Baman said:

Good old Occam's razor.

That's why we have fiction.
And religion...

True. Especially the second one. The bible reads well as historical fiction.

Oct 13, 2008 7:41 AM

Aug 2007
if i were god, i wouldn't tell anyone about it.
Oct 13, 2008 7:50 AM

Apr 2008
pietel said:

if you were god, you wouldnt need to, because you could manipulate them into thinking your not god..
Oct 13, 2008 7:53 AM

Jun 2007
Sohei said:
pietel said:

if you were god, you wouldnt need to, because you could manipulate them into thinking your not god..

Depends what kind of god we're talking about. In several religions, the being known as god does not have control over freewill.

Oct 13, 2008 7:54 AM

Apr 2008
OranSolus said:
Sohei said:
pietel said:

Depends what kind of god we're talking about. In several religions, the being known as god does not have control over freewill.

well of course it depends on your definition of god, but everything is arguable XD
Oct 13, 2008 8:00 AM

Jun 2007
Sohei said:
OranSolus said:
Sohei said:
pietel said:

well of course it depends on your definition of god, but everything is arguable XD

I know, I wasn't trying to argue, I just wanted to see if you meant a god that had perfect omnipotence. I know that was implied by your statement, but I just wanted confirmation. I don't like making assumptions. That, and I just wanted to contribute to the discussion!
OranSolusOct 13, 2008 8:11 AM

Oct 13, 2008 8:02 AM

Apr 2008
dont tell me youre scizophrenic (sp?) XD
yes i ndnerstand, i thought an omnipotent god was implied too.
Oct 13, 2008 8:05 AM

May 2008
OranSolus said:
Freewill.

I think you're using freewill wrongly.
Freewill is an indeterministic concept.

Oct 13, 2008 8:07 AM

Jun 2007
I think it's spelled schizophrenic. In answer to your question, no. At least that's what the voices in my head tell me.

@Ukonviki: Yeah, I know, but I'm using it in a basic sense. I'm aware that a decision cannot be made entirely free of external influence, but I'm not really taking this discussion as a philosophical or sociological debate. Because I'm lazy. :)

Oct 13, 2008 8:09 AM

Apr 2008
OranSolus said:
I think it's spelled schizophrenic. In answer to your question, no. At least that's what the voices in my head tell me.

then please explain why you quoted me twice with two different answers XD
Oct 13, 2008 8:09 AM

Mar 2008
.....Kamichu! That is all. :3
Oct 13, 2008 8:13 AM

Jun 2007
Sohei said:
OranSolus said:

then please explain why you quoted me twice with two different answers XD

I accidentally refreshed the page whilst writing the reply. The reply I was beginning to write disappeared, so I basically rewrote what I was beginning to say, so it was the same answer. I just didn't notice that my post was doubled. *Fixed*

Also, I think you were referring to Multiple Personality Disorder, not schizophrenia.

Oct 13, 2008 8:17 AM

Aug 2007
Sohei said:
pietel said:

then i wouldn't tell the other gods.. which got me thinking, i might become friends with the other gods and party everyday in heaven.. oh some goodlooking goddesses would be nice too.
and then wait untill humanity has totally ruined its planet and start again from the beginning.
Oct 13, 2008 8:22 AM

Apr 2008
pietel said:
Sohei said:
pietel said:

then i wouldn't tell the other gods.. which got me thinking, i might become friends with the other gods and party everyday in heaven.. oh some goodlooking goddesses would be nice too.
and then wait untill humanity has totally ruined its planet and start again from the beginning.

but youre assuming theres more gods. and if you were an omnipotent god, you could create your own perfect wives/husbands, no need for goddesses or gods then XD
Oct 13, 2008 8:36 AM

Aug 2007
well if im assuming i am an omnipotent god, wouldn't i be genderless or omnisexual?
they both seem kind of lonely
i dont think i wanna be that kind of god.

omnipotency is no fun at all, lets call in the goddesses!
Oct 13, 2008 9:31 AM

Apr 2008
pietel said:
well if im assuming i am an omnipotent god, wouldn't i be genderless or omnisexual?
they both seem kind of lonely
i dont think i wanna be that kind of god.

omnipotency is no fun at all, lets call in the goddesses!

LOL omnisexual.
a whole different meaning to bisexuality.
Oct 13, 2008 9:31 AM

Mar 2008
what surprises me more is that there are tons of animes that start of nice and slow with regular school life, and then all the sudden this "lolwut" episode comes up and changes the whole story :P
Oct 13, 2008 9:32 AM

Apr 2008
Pewdie said:
what surprises me more is that there are tons of animes that start of nice and slow with regular school life, and then all the sudden this "lolwut" episode comes up and changes the whole story :P

that was the moment the script writers decided to smoke pot.
Oct 13, 2008 9:37 AM

Mar 2008
Sohei said:
Pewdie said:

that was the moment the script writers decided to smoke pot.

lol, that would explain a lot:

on the 3-5th episode the writers usually smokes pot
Oct 13, 2008 9:41 AM

Apr 2008
Im guessing its just a general trend. It could also be because they're just following the manga script.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.