Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 9, 2012 7:15 PM
Jun 2010
I ask you this, has an era of good anime finished?

First off, don't get me wrong, I do believe that there are still some very good anime out there, I haven't seen many yet and I realise this when I discover and watch an anime and get completely blown away. But that happens seldom these days and it happens out of me happening to choose that anime out of dumb luck.

What I mean in remarks to the title of my thread is that there doesn't seem to be many really exciting anime out there that everyone regards as an have to watch anime.

I'm going to us a few anime for example, Code Geass, Death Note, hajime ippo, Gurren Lagann, Bleach some top rated anime in the anime community and on this site (well not Bleach, but i'm using it to prove a point). Those were anime everyone in the day were so crazy about and still are, and it just wasn't their fan base that was promoting it, it was most of the people in the anime community. You would see forums and forums of people talking about these anime in endless discussion and hundreds of youtube videos and amvs dedicated to them where people say this is their top anime in their list and that people need to watch them. And to be honest after watching them who could blame them? they were some of the greatest anime i've watched to date and many people will agree with this

These days however, i dont seem to see this excitement around with the anime we have now. I don't see hundreds of recommendations and people going out there and spreading the word about anime, you just look at a list and sometime hope for a winner.

So my question to you is this, do you think an era of good anime has finished?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 9, 2012 7:18 PM

Feb 2012
Different people have different tastes. Some people will say something similar to that opinion, but like me, there are some who appreciates the anime of this era.
Aug 9, 2012 7:18 PM

Mar 2009
Well there's still good anime nowadays but harder to come across in my opinion.
Aug 9, 2012 7:19 PM
Aug 2012
no i don't but i mean im still an anime noob so what do i know, not much :P
Aug 9, 2012 7:23 PM

Nov 2011
>Completed 39 anime
>Laments the end of the era of good anime
The Art of Eight
Aug 9, 2012 7:23 PM

Jun 2012
anime has been losing funding consistently
get prepared for more adaptations
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 9, 2012 7:24 PM

Oct 2011
It finished when Japan stop producing anime.

Just because there aren't a lot of anime anymore that blows YOU, emphasizes on YOU away doesn't mean Japan stopped producing good anime.All that mean is that you are in a low point of finding good anime.Like the economy,it's in the low point right now but will get better.It's only a question of when.

I still find plenty of new anime that's good to me.So no,I don't think the era of good anime is done & gone.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Aug 9, 2012 7:33 PM

Feb 2008
I find shows I love every season.
You? You have a list that doesn't even hit 50. Come back when you've seen a couple hundred more and bitch then.
Anime figure reviews:
Aug 9, 2012 7:39 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I still find things to enjoy. So the era of good anime will be over when there are no more anime to watch...

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 9, 2012 7:44 PM

Mar 2012
I'd laugh if he just doesn't update his list and the people saying "you've only seen ___" look like idiots. I mean it wouldn't be shocking, he is an "anime freak" who's had a MAL account for a little over two years.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 9, 2012 7:50 PM

Jun 2011
Too much moe.
Aug 9, 2012 7:51 PM

Jun 2009
Narmy said:
Too much moe.

and fujoshi crappy stuff
Aug 9, 2012 8:14 PM

May 2008
While it's true that I haven't found many anime that I'd score 9 or above within the past few years (Bakuman 2 seems to be my only *new* 9/10), I've certainly found plenty of 8s (which is still a rare rating from me, pretty much top 15% material in my scale). I don't know, you might be right, but I really really hope you aren't.

In the end, it's probably due to lack of money, considering just how many don't pay a dime for all the anime they watch or manga they read today. It's far, far worse than what the movie or music industry in the US is facing; the anime industry needs our support so darn badly, but we simply refuse to, even when it might be easy (for example, even if you download your anime, a cheap subscription to Crunchyroll or Funimation goes a long way. I have both, even though I'd never think of watching shit-quality online streams, simply to pay something back for all the hard work I'm freely downloading).

As an aside, it's cool to find another Hajime no Ippo fan, AnimeFreak! My #1 favorite right there, and I simply can't even imagine finding an anime that beats it.
Aug 9, 2012 8:23 PM

Jun 2012
There's always going to be good anime in every era. It really depends on which era you grew up with/considered the best. Personally, I prefer the late 90's and early 2000's as the best years for anime but newer fans may dislike it because of the bad quality animation.
Aug 9, 2012 8:51 PM

May 2010
rarely anime these days entertain me, just flooded with the same shit, recycled. 1 or 2 per year puts a smile on my face.
Aug 9, 2012 8:52 PM

Feb 2012
Animefreak1 said:

These days however, i dont seem to see this excitement around with the anime we have now.

Allow me to direct you to the 46th highest ranked anime on MAL: Sword Art Online. Excitement doesn't even begin to describe it. There is and has been so much hype for the show that it's ridiculous. There have only been 5 episodes so far but already it's ranked #46, as I said, and there are quite a lot of reviews out there for it. I love the show so far, but even I think it's overhyped.

As for the end of an era of good anime, I personally don't think so; I've thoroughly enjoyed most of what I've seen these past two seasons. There's some good stuff out there, you just have to give it a chance.

That being said, if you really can't find any new anime that you want to watch, just watch some highly-regarded stuff. You really haven't watched that much, just like me. And you seem to really like Naruto, but Shippuden is still going, so your personal era of anime seems to be alive and well. I'm surprised you don't watch One Piece and Fairy Tail also, as they too are shounens that people really like. Something will blow you away eventually - there's so much shounen out there.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Aug 9, 2012 8:56 PM

Nov 2008
Not enough anime for judging rights.

Watch more of the classics, you are lacking Gundam and Macross, please rectify this.

Aug 9, 2012 8:57 PM

Jun 2010
IZUMI64 said:
Narmy said:
Too much moe.

and fujoshi crappy stuff

Probably the real reason right here.

I wouldn't say it was an era. There have still been some amazing shows that have aired recently; Stein's Gate, Fate/Zero and Madoka just to name my top 3. These anime, in my opinion, revolutionized their genres (maybe not Fate so much).

I think it's more of a 'cycle' and it's somewhat based on luck. Having good anime is not really a good reason to complain when the industry starts putting stuff out that you don't find appealing. If there was no Bleach, Code Geass, Death note, etc., then all of this moe cutesy shit might seem awesome to you. You have high standards, and there's nothing wrong with that, but at least recognize that the reason you have these standards is your so called 'good era' anime.

It is comparable to any other form of entertainment. I would say the best example (for me) has been American television shows. For a few years, there weren't any new good series, maybe Dexter, but I never got into it. Then, out of nowhere; Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. Both are amazing shows and I would definitely put them up there.

tl;dr There will always be awesome stuff around the corner. It's up to you to find it amongst all the garbage.
Aug 9, 2012 9:12 PM

Sep 2008
Nah anime has been at the same stagnation for the past decade now , the only reason those anime seemed popular was because there was just as many people who hated those fans of those anime as there where fans of the actual anime.

So it kinda magnified the ground swell around them.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 9, 2012 9:26 PM
Jul 2018
Thus far, this whole year is so far dead for me; not a single show beyond "watchable" status. This is by far the worst year in quality since 2000. The best ones so far were Space Brothers and Kids on the Slope and they are so freaking boring.
Aug 9, 2012 9:43 PM

Jun 2012
I like newer anime more then the so called "classics".
Aug 9, 2012 10:11 PM

Jun 2009
Obviously OP somehow missed Madoka Magica...

There are tons of great show.

Mawaru Penguindrum
Madoka Magica
Ano Hana
Steins;Gate
Fate/Zero
Cross Game
Tamayura (Most will argue otherwise, but F*ck you haters)

Currently.
Hyouka
Kuroko no Basket
Kokoro Connect

And one that I have high hopes for...
Sword Art Online (Looking pretty grim atm)

EDIT: If anything, anime have been improving since 2011, with great shows like Madoka, Steins;Gate, Penguindrum, Ana Hana and Fate/Zero. I think this merely a beginning.

And yes, there's more and more crappy shows each season, but there are always gems within the craps, like Kokoro Connect.
AirStylesAug 9, 2012 10:14 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2012 10:28 PM

Jun 2010
>Completed 39 anime

I agree.
There is so much anime out there and i think you would need to see a lot before criticizing an entire era...
Aug 9, 2012 10:38 PM

May 2009
AirStyles said:
Obviously OP somehow missed Madoka Magica...

There are tons of great show.

Mawaru Penguindrum
Madoka Magica
Ano Hana
Steins;Gate
Fate/Zero
Cross Game
Tamayura (Most will argue otherwise, but F*ck you haters)

Currently.
Hyouka
Kuroko no Basket
Kokoro Connect

And one that I have high hopes for...
Sword Art Online (Looking pretty grim atm)

EDIT: If anything, anime have been improving since 2011, with great shows like Madoka, Steins;Gate, Penguindrum, Ana Hana and Fate/Zero. I think this merely a beginning.

And yes, there's more and more crappy shows each season, but there are always gems within the craps, like Kokoro Connect.

I think there is often more emphasis on all the bad shows when discussion crops up about whats wrong with anime today. Or once some people start getting it into their head that current anime is bad, they just go with that and stop looking so much for all the gems.(Kokoro Connect doesn't really sound all that great via description I think) Or their tastes have changed since the golden years of 2006 or whenever rather than the anime.

There is certainly a lot more moe but I feel that that doesn't deter a show from being terrific (See above mentioned Hyouka for example).

Anyways, I'm in the camp of thinking anime is trucking along at it's usual quality, though I'm a bit biased since I enjoy a fairly wide pool of genres and gobble up dat moe regardless. I still get about 10 shows/season
Aug 9, 2012 10:54 PM

Apr 2012
The era of 'good anime' ended circa 2006
Aug 10, 2012 12:10 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
dankickyou said:
>Completed 39 anime

I lol'd.
Aug 10, 2012 12:22 AM

Jan 2012
More like the increase of fans with shit anime taste that's bringing down quality of anime
Aug 10, 2012 12:44 AM

Jan 2012
No. People say the same about music, movies, books, it's a false perception.

Since this definition of "good" is entirely subjected to your view it actually has no bearing on reality. Anime is going to adapt just like any other media outlet, whether it is defined as "good" will be entirely on the individuals that decide to watch it.
CitizeninsaneAug 10, 2012 1:00 AM
Aug 10, 2012 1:34 AM

Sep 2008
Jesus Christ, did people even read what OP wrote besides the title?
He wrote why he stated what he did in the title, it's not based on his own status but on the amount of fan stuff going on around internet which degraded heavily nowadays.

I wouldn't disagree with him necessarily but I think some good anime do still come so not all is bad. Good anime still do come, they're just more rare than they used to be. I tend to watch many new anime and catch-up with older ones, and the ones I really enjoy are mostly older ones, the new ones just aren't equally good when it comes to quality, and I still haven't seen some of the best old anime!
Aug 10, 2012 2:17 AM

Dec 2009
× An era
○ Your era
Aug 10, 2012 2:20 AM
Apr 2008
To be honest, there will be a few good anime series around if you look hard enough >.>
Aug 10, 2012 2:33 AM
Jun 2012
hmm i understand where you are coming from. although i have not seen a lot of anime, sometimes i do get this feeling of " i have seen them all " when i can't seem to find a good anime to watch.

btw, you should consider watching fate zero, black lagoon second season, fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, soul eater, gungrave, hellsing ultimate, fairy tail, one piece, d gray man and sword art online.

hopefully the anime i have suggested will be helpful for you
drinkbeerAug 10, 2012 2:37 AM
Aug 10, 2012 3:57 AM

Mar 2012
A lot of older anime is absolutely terrible.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 10, 2012 4:59 AM

Nov 2011
Plenty of good anime these days, and like some said before, some anime are still very hyped. like SoA

Going by /a/, yuru yuri S2 seems to be getting a lot of attention(same goes for kokoro connect, but at a lower rate).

Annoiato said:
The era of 'good anime' ended circa 2006

In your opinion*

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Aug 10, 2012 5:01 AM

Dec 2008
IshokuOsero said:
I find shows I love every season.
You? You have a list that doesn't even hit 50. Come back when you've seen a couple hundred more and bitch then.

A couple hundred? Some people aren't as hardcore as you. Sure he may have only seen 39 anime, but you don't have to have experienced a lot of something to get bored of it.

Back to the question though: No, I don't think an era of good anime has finished, I just think there's so much more variety now that its harder to judge what's good or bad. There's no point following what other people are obsessing about, you've got to go searching for yourself for anime that may intrigue you.
Aug 10, 2012 5:56 AM
Jun 2010
Post-Josh said:
I'd laugh if he just doesn't update his list and the people saying "you've only seen ___" look like idiots. I mean it wouldn't be shocking, he is an "anime freak" who's had a MAL account for a little over two years.

Well this is exactly the case, I have watched many more anime than what I have listed on my account, so it doesn't give an accurate representation of my anime knowledge. If anyone saw my account, my activity is low and I come on like once every couple weeks and I rarely write a review. However it is funny to see what people focus on except the actual topic at hand and answering said thread.

nina4life said:
Jesus Christ, did people even read what OP wrote besides the title?
He wrote why he stated what he did in the title, it's not based on his own status but on the amount of fan stuff going on around internet which degraded heavily nowadays.

Thank you, I'm happy you did read the entire thread and understood what I meant :)

FauxAzn said:
As an aside, it's cool to find another Hajime no Ippo fan, AnimeFreak! My #1 favorite right there, and I simply can't even imagine finding an anime that beats it.

One of the best anime i've watched, I laughed, cried, and just enjoyed the plot and dramatic moments in that anime.
Aug 10, 2012 6:15 AM

Jul 2012
And now the era of better anime begins.
Aug 10, 2012 6:25 AM

Jan 2012
Exactly in my head too. Now all we got here are ecchi and yaoi craps. Summer 2012 probably the worst anime season I ever endure. So bad I had to watch Spring 2012 shows like Jormungand and Medaka Box and pretend Summer never actually reached me.
---
Aug 10, 2012 6:29 AM

Nov 2011
NK_500 said:
Exactly in my head too. Now all we got here are ecchi and yaoi craps. Summer 2012 probably the worst anime season I ever endure. So bad I had to watch Spring 2012 shows like Jormungand and Medaka Box and pretend Summer never actually reached me.

Thats so far from the truth it isn't even funny.

Aug 10, 2012 6:32 AM

Jan 2012
rederoin said:

I can't blame you if you never heard of Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai and Hagure Yuusha no Estetica for examples.
---
Aug 10, 2012 6:34 AM

Nov 2011
NK_500 said:
rederoin said:

I can't blame you if you never heard of Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai and Hagure Yuusha no Estetica for examples.

and those 2 anime prove that everything that gets made now-a-days is "yoai-ecchi crap"?

I don't follow your logic.

Aug 10, 2012 6:48 AM

Nov 2007
Madoka, Fate/Zero and Steins;Gate all just aired pretty recently... Madoka and Fate/Zero together broke bluray sales in single volumes and boxsets and were immensely popular and well received. Steins;Gate admittedly didn't sell as well but still sold a well above average amount of copies and was equally as hyped by the community. So no I don't feel like the era of good anime has ended.
Aug 10, 2012 6:56 AM

Mar 2012
Allecto said:
A couple hundred? Some people aren't as hardcore as you. Sure he may have only seen 39 anime, but you don't have to have experienced a lot of something to get bored of it.

Sure and I know this more than anyone, I've barely been able to watch more than a series or 2 in around 2months since I feel burned out with Anime.

But Allecto being bored with something doesn't suddenly mean that some "golden age" has finished, I agree (maybe not to "couple of hundred") that someone with only a few shows watched really can't say something like that.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 10, 2012 7:02 AM
Nov 2009
And here I came in expecting the OP to talk about >2003/2004...
Aug 10, 2012 7:13 AM

Dec 2008
NicoleB said:
Allecto said:

Sure and I know this more than anyone, I've barely been able to watch more than a series or 2 in around 2months since I feel burned out with Anime.

But Allecto being bored with something doesn't suddenly mean that some "golden age" has finished, I agree (maybe not to "couple of hundred") that someone with only a few shows watched really can't say something like that.

I agree, I said in my original post that I don't think that some "golden age" has now passed. But I do think its easy to lose hope in something when you don't have much experience in it. But then the OP went on to say that he hasn't listed all the series he's watched... so its impossible to know just how much he has experienced, which genres he's tried out etc. I just think he may not have branched out much.
Aug 10, 2012 7:17 AM
Mar 2010
This is what I think: older anime had more time to be weeded out, thus making us aware of the "good" anime and the "bad" anime. I'm quite positive that there were a slew of bad shows back in the day, but we've just avoided them. These days, we have to do the dirty work ourselves, which means we have hits and misses. Maybe the quality has ultimately gone down, but I really don't know, I haven't seen every anime.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Aug 10, 2012 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
Narmy said:
Too much moe.

Kinda this, there is stil alot of good quality anime series, but they don't get as much relevance as what is cashing in right now unfortunately.
Aug 10, 2012 8:06 AM

Mar 2012
Allecto said:
I agree, I said in my original post that I don't think that some "golden age" has now passed. But I do think its easy to lose hope in something when you don't have much experience in it. But then the OP went on to say that he hasn't listed all the series he's watched... so its impossible to know just how much he has experienced, which genres he's tried out etc. I just think he may not have branched out much.

I see, I missed that comment.

That could be the problem, I found it very easy to get bored if I only watched the same type of anime.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 10, 2012 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
NicoleB said:
A lot of older anime is absolutely terrible.

An unproportionally large number of 80's and 90's "Original Video Animations" are amongst the worst anime I've ever seen. Angel Cop, MD Geist (I'm not sure I can find a single positive quality about MD Geist, and it's no surprise that it's rated amongst the 10 worst on any of the anime databases. Wait, Wakamoto voiced Geist so it is not the worst anime ever made, but I watched it dubbed so I wouldn't have known.), Judge, Virgin Fleet, Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, Apocalypse Zero, Guyver, Blood Reign, Demon City Shinjuku, Psycho Diver, Dragoon, Princess Rouge, Hanappe Bazooka, Wizardry, Madara, Earthian, Campus Special Investigator Hikaruon, Call me tonight, Iczer One, etc.
Aug 10, 2012 11:12 AM

Feb 2012
Sword art online is a new anime that might become very prominent...heck,it is already in the top 60...
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Are European anime settings easier to get into!!!

Afriendlypaw - Yesterday

23 by Ratris_Decision »»
7 minutes ago

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - May 19

67 by ViSpace »»
25 minutes ago

» 🌟Anime Questionnaire 2024 v1🌟

GoatPieceLuffy - May 19

20 by Pg13_ »»
36 minutes ago

» You have complicated feelings about this show, but it has become part of your life.

RobertBobert - Mar 13

25 by tinshard »»
53 minutes ago

» How many completed is considered a lot to you ( 1 2 )

Ice-Cube - Jul 9, 2022

90 by NubFix »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.