Forum Settings
Forums
Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 31, 2013 6:45 PM

Apr 2011
In these stories of growing up, I always become incredibly emotional because I always connect time with sadness and nostalgia. It's been awhile since an anime has made my eyes water and I'm glad I spent the time to enjoy this movie.

Ame and Yuki are amazingly created characters. It goes to show that you can never predict how children grow up.

9/10
Jun 1, 2013 1:18 PM

Jan 2010
This was a great movie.
It was a little sad when both and yuki had left her, but i guess she was ok with that imo
yuki/souhei forevssss
9/10
Jun 4, 2013 2:36 AM

Dec 2012
ArcanaTrace said:
However the part where Ookami dies really puzzles me as they did not explained what he did and he even left his wallet in the shopping bag, as if he knew that he was going to die.

I don't know if anyone else explained this to you, but it's supposedly left open into the air. However, it's highly suggested that it was his nature side kicking in. If we had any clues, it would have to come all from Ame. His decision at the end should be the answer to why his father died that day (with the quail/bird feathers lying about).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2013 3:25 AM

Feb 2013
Ahhh I love animes like this that give you the "feels". It also had a kind of warmth to it. Really enjoyed this hope they do some sort of second movie following Ame and Yuki's separate life styles and how they grow up.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Jun 7, 2013 11:45 PM

Oct 2009
Strong 7/10

Ame is a faggot didnt even say bye to his mom and sister

also didnt like the part when yuki and ame fought and ruined the house. come on, your mom is already a hard-working single parent dont go wrecking the house
Jun 10, 2013 9:18 PM

Mar 2011
All these feels are killing me.
Ugh, why do anime movies have to be so great.

10/10
Jun 11, 2013 3:05 PM

Mar 2012
The fact that she slept with him in his wolf form was a bit odd xD Great movie but wasn't too satisfied with the ending.

9/10.
Jun 16, 2013 6:26 PM

Jan 2011
the first 10-15 minutes were meh but after that the movie kept getting better, the second half was very good

9/10
Jun 17, 2013 8:37 PM

Jul 2012
I CRIED MY EYES OUT! it was beautifully done especially their life stories i'll miss ame though.. ): he's so cute. but i love all those characters 10/10 ヽ(*⌒∇⌒*)ノ

Jun 19, 2013 12:13 AM

Dec 2012
That was just amazing I can't believe I've been putting off watching this for so long. 8/10.

I can't believe Hana has only 92 favorites. For shame MAL...for shame.
tsudecimoJun 19, 2013 12:16 AM
Jun 21, 2013 10:11 AM

Aug 2012
damn.. this movie blew me away. Hosoda is a great director, when i first watch Tokikake, i already thought that it'd be hard to make another movie that has the same impact as Tokikake, but later on i got the chance to watch Summer Wars, and guess what, it was better than Tokikake. I'm amazed.

and now, i just watched Wolf Children.. i have to say that this is his greatest movie, and personally i think that this is the only animated movie i've ever seen that is on par with Hayao Miyazaki''s Movies.

all the seiyuu were amazing, especially Aoi Miyazaki as Hana, She really brought this character to life.

The music was brilliant and the animation is pretty good. My favorite scene is when Hana, Yuki and Ame were running on the snow,what a beautiful scene <3

Talking about characters, i can say Hana is one of my favorite heroines of all time. Such an independent, strong willed girl/woman, has great personality and attitude. A perfect waifu material XD

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki is one of the best movies i've ever seen. 10/10.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jun 23, 2013 5:59 AM

Sep 2010
Great animation, everything on the history was pretty well done (just not the dad's dead)

The kid's path makes alot of sense to me, no reason to hate Ame

9/10
Jun 28, 2013 9:28 AM

Nov 2012
I see now why this movie is the best movie anime ever..

it was really beautiful anime.. well honestly I'm almosy cry in some scene.. but seriously this anime i awesome.. :3

I never thought hana can handle all problems.. :3

and the ending.. well I can say it is a good happy ending..
love it! (9/10)
Jul 1, 2013 12:26 AM

Sep 2011
Such a wonderful movie. I haven't seen something this good in a long time. Very bittersweet, but the outcome made sense, so it was good. :)

Though these feelings are killing me... lol
Jul 1, 2013 8:40 PM
Dec 2011
Wow, watched this because I was bored of my current "watching' anime. I wasn't planning on watching it at all but thought I would give it a try due to its high score. So glad I did. This was absolutely amazing. All the characters were so great. One of my favs for sure.
Jul 7, 2013 3:27 AM

Jun 2012
Great movie, I like how both Yuki and Ame chose their own, different path. I also like Ame's development, from weak to strong and independent. The ending was kind of centered towards Ame, but we kind of know where Yuki went after revealing herself to be a wolf.
I did kind of find it strange that the mom didn't appear to age that much, I got the feeling from the setting that she was living a retired life and all.
The line "Live your life" was the one that got me ^^
Anyway, again, fantastic movie, although I expected something a little different, to be honest. 9/10.

Jul 8, 2013 2:54 PM

Jun 2011
Beautiful movie.. i really liked it.. 4.25/5 -> 8.5/10

things i liked:-
+ HANA <3 she's AWESOME..
+ The asshole AWESOME geezer..
+ Chibi Ame..
+ Beautiful animation specially -2nd half-

things i disliked:-
- Chibi Yuki.. she's annoying!!
- Ame's decision!!
- How her husband died?????
Satou0KunJul 8, 2013 3:01 PM
Jul 9, 2013 2:17 AM
Jul 2018

That was a nice movie! Very touching. Hana is such a good mother.
Yuki and Souhei are a good pair though. :)
Jul 13, 2013 12:03 AM

Jul 2010
honestly hana, i can't believe she did all that, and still ended with that smile she has.

Jul 15, 2013 9:20 AM
Jul 2013
Does anyone know when this anime will come in English? I want to watch this with my husband, but he is not big on sub, and i like dub anime better myself. But this anime look really good, and i was look forward to watch, with him. Any ideas?
Jul 15, 2013 8:33 PM

Jun 2010
Movie's a little wonky; I find the way that it's split into three parts (love and pregnancy, getting established in the countryside, the children grow up) to be a bit awkward, especially as the focus on Hana really drift away in the third part only to come crashing back at the end.

A persistent problem is that the wolf forms of the characters look silly. This is fine if it's being played as cute (which happened often), but if there's supposed to be any serious emotion or tension present (which happened several times), it just doesn't work.

I'm kind of annoyed that Yuki, who is the narrator of the film, never really reacts to her brother's departure. Unlike Hana, she didn't even get a real "goodbye". The film could have done without narration in any case.

I'm also a little dissatisfied by the way Ame's "teacher" had some sort of responsibility for the welfare of the mountain, a duty which Ame succeeds him in. It makes it seem as if the wild animals have some sort of society, which is a very human thing. Granted, wolf-men are a mythological idea and animals in myths often have human characteristics, but when the division between human and wolf/the wild becomes so important, this gets in the way.

Regardless, it's a pretty good film in the end. The theme of birth and growing up was interesting. That Yuki's hair darkens from reddish to black was a nice touch (and happens all the time in reality) and the scene where three or four years go by in one shot was very clever, visually. The terminally-widening division between siblings occurred very naturally without anything feeling forced.
Jul 16, 2013 12:29 PM

May 2010
I don't want to be nitpicky about this one..
It was simply beautiful.
Jul 17, 2013 12:27 AM

Jul 2010
I find this movie to be pretty overrated too. It's good, don't get me wrong. But it definitely falls below The Girl Who Leapt Through Time for me.

I guess the major obstacle for me in enjoying this film and really getting emotionally invested was Hana. Am I the only one that couldn't invest in her because she was so perfect? Please name one character flaw Hana has, and make me reconsider her character. She has one moment where she kind of falters with Ame and even that wasn't really much. And this is supposed to be our protagonist! I adore Makoto because of how flawed she is and how many mistakes she makes. When does Hana ever screw up or break down? How believable is it that a person in her situation would never break down? I know some people went the other route and really admired her for it, but for me it just made her really dull.

Of the three, the only storyline I got invested in was Yuki's. I remember really caring about what happened to her when she revealed the truth to Souhei. But that was honestly it. Most of the other scenes I was just entertained enough to keep watching.

So I guess for me, it's a film with solid art, music and direction with a lacking cast and story. Still enjoyable overall, just definitely not up to par with the hype it's gotten.
Jul 20, 2013 10:25 AM
Mar 2013
HiguraNatume said:
I guess the major obstacle for me in enjoying this film and really getting emotionally invested was Hana. Am I the only one that couldn't invest in her because she was so perfect? Please name one character flaw Hana has, and make me reconsider her character. She has one moment where she kind of falters with Ame and even that wasn't really much. And this is supposed to be our protagonist!

Were we really watching the same movie here? I have certain issues with the film also, which Fronzel touched upon a few posts up, but Hana's character is not one of them. In fact I'll go ahead and make a pretty bold statement right now: Hana is the most flawed character in the film. As it is, I'm shocked you didn't notice this, and am now wondering how many others missed this as well.

Where is Hana's family for one? That is, where are her parents? Maybe they would have wanted to know that they have two grandchildren and that their daughter has dropped out of Tokyo University in order to have a fling with someone she randomly met in a lecture hall. Did Hana have too much pride to go to them for help in raising her family, or maybe she just didn't trust her own parents to keep her children's secret?

She in turn doesn't know how to raise her children. It's comical when she doesn't know whether to take them to a doctor or a vet, but this also means she doesn't know whether to treat them as children or as pets. She constantly tells them that they have to decide whether to live as wolves or as humans, and what ends up happening? One of them decides to be a wolf, the other a human. They were conditioned to choose, rather than attempt to live with both halves.

She lets Ame skip school and miss out on an education because she's so concerned about their secret letting out. Would a perfect mother do this? Her son is clearly depressed, and isolating him like this will not do him any favors. Yet she does not realize this.

She induces stress on her children precisely because she doesn't know what she's doing. She continues to smile despite her hardships; when the potatoes don't grow, Yuki's expression clearly shows she's distraught on her mother's behalf. She realizes how serious the situation is, yet her mother keeps insisting everything is alright.

When Yuki's secret is almost exposed via Souhei, she breaks down and cries fearing she'll be chased out of school and that she won't be able to live with her family anymore. Why does she do this? Because this is a fear Hana instilled in her to again try and prevent their secret from getting out. She doesn't realize the repercussions these actions have on her children.

When Ame persists in not attending school, who is it that tries to set him back on the proper path? It's not Hana because she'd rather have both her kids stay at home to protect the secret, rather it's Yuki that takes the role of mother and insists he comes back to school. Would a perfect mother add this much stress to her daughter's life? Ame similarly, experiences a lot of stress, showing clear signs of depression and being unable to come to terms with being a human. And how can he, when he's always told he's a wolf?

Hana is a very flawed character. Her mistakes aren't blatantly stated, but they clearly exist and are the leading factors that bring about the final outcome of the film. Which is basically that her family has now fallen apart, and the only happiness she can possibly have is knowing that due to her mistakes Yuki is now mature beyond her years, and Ame is "living his life."
Jul 22, 2013 9:31 PM

Mar 2012
Can't believe I took so long to watch this, 10/10

Jul 28, 2013 12:36 PM

Dec 2009
Wow, this movie is extremely overrated, Yuki was the only (barely) enjoyable character, Hana was perfect(ly ignorant) and Ame was just ... there. 5/10
Aug 5, 2013 9:47 PM

Jul 2011
Amazing movie, simple as that.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Aug 8, 2013 12:05 AM

Sep 2009
Wow, this totally caught me off guard.
Aug 9, 2013 2:25 PM

Sep 2009
Ugh! :((
I'm so speechless!
AMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Aug 9, 2013 2:45 PM

Jul 2010
benignuser said:
HiguraNatume said:
I guess the major obstacle for me in enjoying this film and really getting emotionally invested was Hana. Am I the only one that couldn't invest in her because she was so perfect? Please name one character flaw Hana has, and make me reconsider her character. She has one moment where she kind of falters with Ame and even that wasn't really much. And this is supposed to be our protagonist!

Were we really watching the same movie here? I have certain issues with the film also, which Fronzel touched upon a few posts up, but Hana's character is not one of them. In fact I'll go ahead and make a pretty bold statement right now: Hana is the most flawed character in the film. As it is, I'm shocked you didn't notice this, and am now wondering how many others missed this as well.

Where is Hana's family for one? That is, where are her parents? Maybe they would have wanted to know that they have two grandchildren and that their daughter has dropped out of Tokyo University in order to have a fling with someone she randomly met in a lecture hall. Did Hana have too much pride to go to them for help in raising her family, or maybe she just didn't trust her own parents to keep her children's secret?

She in turn doesn't know how to raise her children. It's comical when she doesn't know whether to take them to a doctor or a vet, but this also means she doesn't know whether to treat them as children or as pets. She constantly tells them that they have to decide whether to live as wolves or as humans, and what ends up happening? One of them decides to be a wolf, the other a human. They were conditioned to choose, rather than attempt to live with both halves.

She lets Ame skip school and miss out on an education because she's so concerned about their secret letting out. Would a perfect mother do this? Her son is clearly depressed, and isolating him like this will not do him any favors. Yet she does not realize this.

She induces stress on her children precisely because she doesn't know what she's doing. She continues to smile despite her hardships; when the potatoes don't grow, Yuki's expression clearly shows she's distraught on her mother's behalf. She realizes how serious the situation is, yet her mother keeps insisting everything is alright.

When Yuki's secret is almost exposed via Souhei, she breaks down and cries fearing she'll be chased out of school and that she won't be able to live with her family anymore. Why does she do this? Because this is a fear Hana instilled in her to again try and prevent their secret from getting out. She doesn't realize the repercussions these actions have on her children.

When Ame persists in not attending school, who is it that tries to set him back on the proper path? It's not Hana because she'd rather have both her kids stay at home to protect the secret, rather it's Yuki that takes the role of mother and insists he comes back to school. Would a perfect mother add this much stress to her daughter's life? Ame similarly, experiences a lot of stress, showing clear signs of depression and being unable to come to terms with being a human. And how can he, when he's always told he's a wolf?

Hana is a very flawed character. Her mistakes aren't blatantly stated, but they clearly exist and are the leading factors that bring about the final outcome of the film. Which is basically that her family has now fallen apart, and the only happiness she can possibly have is knowing that due to her mistakes Yuki is now mature beyond her years, and Ame is "living his life."

Thank you for your response! I believe I need to rephrase how I felt about Hana after reflecting on what you said.

It's more like the way the story is told, makes me feel like I'm not supposed to take issue with what I do. I personally thought her way of raising her was really awful for all the reasons you mention above, but the way the story was told seemed to gush over how hard she worked and how wonderful she was. Which may be intentional, considering who the narrator is.

Maybe it's not that she's perfect but the fact that she never really shows that much of a dynamic personality that makes her unapproachable to me. Her lack of any real anger or frustration at her situation was just really unbelievable.

So more like, I can't like Hana because my previous impressions from reviews was this super perfect Mom, and what I saw was a recently glorified "always smiling and letting kids do what they choose" type of parenting.

Thank you for the food for thought though.
Aug 15, 2013 1:36 AM

Jan 2012
Loved the plot and the characters. One of the best movies I can remember.

Aug 16, 2013 12:11 AM
Jul 2013
Love the movie, great story and it was very emotional and touching. I've seen a very few movie like these kind. Though I have to say I didn't like the way it ended...The kid Ame just like left his mom in the parking lot and left. I was like...wow great kid. Your mother has done so much for you and now you left and didn't even pay her a visit. Hana ended up all alone after raising her two children through hardships. This movie kinda reminds me of not to be like Ame in the future haha. Though I'd like a bit romance between Yuki and Souhei. The part that got me the most was Hana trying to work so hard on the house and on that field and she made many blisters and pains. Oh talk about the love ='( . Just so much emotion in this movie that I can probably write a whole page about it
Ideal2013Aug 16, 2013 10:14 AM
Aug 18, 2013 6:03 PM

Oct 2007
HiguraNatume said:

Maybe it's not that she's perfect but the fact that she never really shows that much of a dynamic personality

For better or worse director Hosoda said he did that un purpose, yes her default reaction is always to smile, that doesn't mean she's always happy, it's a facade,the best example of this is when she fails to grow the crops and looks incredibly sad and worried for a split second then shakes her head and smiles,but that smile is completely fake.
So plenty of times when you see her smiling,she might not be happy at all.
all for fun.fun for all
Aug 24, 2013 9:49 PM

Apr 2009
Wow a mother's story always gets to me, even in a slice of life genre, a bit of supernatural that adds another twist is even better. Hana's positive traits of being determined, and always smiling despite the odds made me cheer for her in the course of the film. When the time came to let one of her children go, she gave her blessing and wished him well. I've been holding back the tears when she was looking for him in the mountain during the storm, but they finally came silently unbidden when she let her go and said, "Take care...And live strong!" Writing this an hour after watching this still makes me had a case of sniffles.

It's 10/10 no doubt in my book.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 25, 2013 9:34 PM

Jul 2008
i love how ppl bashing how Hana raised her human/wolf children i mean comon how do u no shes doin something wrong its never been heard of b4 been done so how the hell can u bash on how she tried her very best to bring them up

p.s Hana u go girl. This movie was really good
After I Crush Your Dreams......
Your Bones Will Follow......
Aug 27, 2013 12:46 AM
Feb 2012
One would have to be a heartless monster not to shed a tear or two when watching this movie.

Brilliant work. 10/10 indeed.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Aug 28, 2013 4:46 PM

May 2012
Loved it!! 10/10
Aug 28, 2013 11:24 PM
Mar 2010
Took a 6-month long break from anime... this was definitely a good welcome back.

Man, I bawled. I think what got me was the utter selflessness of Hana accepting Ame's calling. It just showcases how much a mother is willing to give up to see her children be happy. I don't know why I'm so deeply effected by this but I can't stop crying. Hana seems to have been left by everyone she's ever loved, but she's still content by the end of the movie. For some reason, that alone just kills me.

brb, gonna cry myself to sleep tonight.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Sep 15, 2013 1:58 PM
Oct 2009
A must watch, 10/10
Sep 18, 2013 9:08 PM

Aug 2013
It was okay.

Probably has such a high score 'cause of the wolves. Otakus love wolves.
Sep 20, 2013 7:37 PM

Jul 2013
An incredibly well put together film, but like some other people the ending left me a little empty.
Sep 24, 2013 3:06 AM
Jul 2018
How this is rated higher than movies with actual plot is beyond me.
Sep 30, 2013 6:11 AM

Jul 2010
better than summer wars but still not as good as tokikake.. hosoda is still my favourite director
well IMHO not every ppl needs an actual plot to enjoy an anime. like aria series, they are amazing enough despite their lacking of plot.
Oct 1, 2013 10:36 PM
Mar 2013
Just finished this movie, it was truly heartwarming. There are several aspects of the film that I loved and that were very interesting.

For example, I loved the reversal between Ame and Yuki.

In the beginning, Yuki was always the energetic one of the two, always interested in nature and playing with the animals.

Ame was far more dependent on his mother than Yuki was, he always told his mother that he wanted to go back home.

But as the movie went on, Yuki and Ame's attitudes towards humanity and nature completely reversed themselves.

Ame's change was very interesting to me, because even though he hated wolves, he ultimately chose to live as a wolf, interacting with the nature that he once longed to abandon in his youth.

Yuki's change was just as striking, because even though she loved nature and her wolf form, she decided to throw that away live her life as a human and become accepted by her friends and the rest of human society.

Although I found most parts of the movie interesting, there were some parts that seemed pretty weird to me.

For one, why did Sou-chan constantly follow Yuki when she was running away from him? Usually if someone run's away you don't chase them half way across the school, you leave them alone.

I mean, get a hint dude, you're being a creeper. But since it all worked out in the end it's not that big a deal.

And another point of confusion was Ame's behaviour towards the end of the series. I found it odd that he would simply up and leave his family one day without saying anything.

If the mother didn't get that vision from the husband, she might never have come to terms Ame's decision.

Despite these minor gripes it was a fantastic movie and I for one am hoping for some kind of sequel. We can pretty much guess that Yuki will be in a relationship with Sou-chan, but I'm wondering what will happen to Ame?

Will he turn out like his father and fall in love with a human girl? Or will he find a wolf to mate with and continue the family legacy. Also, will he ever meet with his mother again?

I'm probably reading to much into this and there's never really going to be a sequel, but I hope there is one, even if it's only a novel sequel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

binOsbi said:

I could tackle this one, but since I've written a lot already I'll leave it to future posters to sort this one out.

But let me just say this: What makes a story amazing is not simply the story itself but rather how it is told.
emeraldrosaryOct 1, 2013 10:40 PM
Oct 1, 2013 11:48 PM

Jun 2012
binOsbi said:

What do you think about the Endless Eight arc in Haruhi?
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Oct 3, 2013 7:42 PM

Jul 2011
the movie was predictable i knew everything that was gonna happen before it happened i knew yuki as a daring girl would take on the more daring life of a human and i knew ame as a true to himself child would become a wolf.

but damn even though it was 100% predictable the feelings this movie gave me was so high i cried even when i was expecting scenes to happen awww the beauty of this movie.. why did i take so long to watch 1010
Oct 16, 2013 11:25 AM

Nov 2008
Wow. Loved everything about this movie.
Nov 1, 2013 2:55 PM

Jun 2012
Man fuck those kids yo, Hana busted her ass raising their wolf asses and they dip and ditch her ass the first opportunity they get. Fuck you Ame, you had to leave during the fucking storm didnt you?! And what the fuck Yuki?! Who lives at a fucking middle school?! Hana is all alone now man. Fuck this shit man. On the other hand I really enjoyed the music and animation was fantastic, character design wasnt really pleasing though.

9/10
ShuhanNov 1, 2013 3:06 PM
Nov 11, 2013 2:51 PM

Nov 2010
It was a great movie, but the ending was just too depressing.

Just because Hana is smiling, it doesn't mean that she's happy. They made it a point to show that she smiled no matter what, she could be crying inside.
Nov 11, 2013 6:38 PM

Dec 2009
After some research I found out that wolves die at the age of 13 and wolves breeding in captive at the age of 17. So, I think that Nana's lover although he seems like over 20, knew he will die that day because (that's my assumption) before death wolf men turn inevitably into a wolf wihtout any human attitude.

That would explain why he left his pocket with all his savings before he died.

However, I'm glad that Nana could accept his son's choice because that proves her true motherly love. Great mum.

"speak the truth even if your voice shakes"
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I hate ame

luksthefool - Mar 19

11 by haidz0000 »»
Apr 25, 9:26 AM

Poll: » what do you think of the end &amp; Ame`s action ? ( 1 2 )

KaGi-13 - Apr 21, 2013

92 by KURAIKEN63 »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:58 AM

» Ame is loved that much?! really?!

aku_mado - Jul 3, 2022

20 by MichaelJackson »»
May 4, 2023 2:36 AM

» This anime is really weird

AunixHOT - Oct 8, 2021

33 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 10:33 PM

Poll: » Why does this anime have a PG - Children rating?

johnyjohny - May 13, 2016

8 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.