Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 22, 2012 3:42 PM
Apr 2012
s2012k1993 said:
maxie said:

I see a lot of people siding with Yui... if you disregard the nationality part of their hostility for each other, Yui is the one being a bitch here. First mock battle, first thing she says is basically "you suck". Then she gives him a god damn crappy TSF for the next one and once again tells him he sucks... yeah, Bridges' Jap hate is pretty silly IMO, but so is the Japanese arrogance that Yui has. Oh well, hopefully they end up together sooner or later :o

The first two episode really help me understand Yui's actions and words, especially the part about the training being a game and her claim about excuses. Her so called arrogance derives from her not wanting to repeat the same mistakes: her naivete and her lack of understanding the BETA resulted in a near-death experience and a psychological atom bomb. She's saving Bridges' life the hard way.

The main character, on the other hand, seems like a generic angst-filled childhood lead. I haven't noticed anything interesting about him at all. Meanwhile, the side characters remain side characters, but every scene with Yui is a gem for me!

Well yeah, I know. Since the two first episode was Yui backstory, we get sympathy for her, and understand her better. I understand her actions, but just as Yuuya needs to drop his petty unfounded hate for the japanese, she needs to get off her high japanese horse.

I guess I'm overreacting a little bit, but truth is that the Fubuki is junk. It's a training TSF for a reason, and it IS a very sensitive TSF, so that you wouldn't perform very well after switching from a god damn Raptor to a Fubuki isn't weird at all, lol. It's like the engineer dude said, american and japanese TSF are really different since they are made with different tactics in mind.

Still, I dislike his attitude, too, so I'm not exactly a fan of him it's just that the Yui love is through the roof due to the first 2 episodes, so even though they are both acting quite poorly and not getting over their race/nationality, Yui is the one that gets the sympathy.

PS: I love Yui too, I'm just realizing that she isn't perfect. Lol.
Jul 22, 2012 4:06 PM

Sep 2008
Mamiko Noto is such a sweet character!
Did you see how brave she was, jumping in front of the gun!?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2012 4:13 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Both of the girls on the cover will be wet for the MC by the time this is over. Count on it.
Jul 22, 2012 4:28 PM

Feb 2010
Oh man I love Yui's straight up attitude. <3
Next ep seems like we see her in action for the first time in 3 years awesome.
Jul 22, 2012 5:07 PM

Jan 2011
I would have slapped the shit outta Yui if I was the MC....

She clearly needs some dick, to uptight and bitchy
Jul 22, 2012 5:56 PM

Jul 2010
HawthorneKitty said:
Mamiko Noto is such a sweet character!
Did you see how brave she was, jumping in front of the gun!?

Inia is sooo damn cute.
Jul 22, 2012 6:04 PM
Apr 2011
I wonder why there wasn't a Shiranui for Yuuya to pilot. This project was built so that the Japanese could improve their Shiranui.

From the way things are going, I don't think that this will turn out to be anything more than a boring side story. Then again, it is age so I can still probably expect some BETA action in here.
Jul 22, 2012 6:32 PM

Jun 2010
At least Yui is acting better, compared how she was on the first 2 episodes.

Also, I want to know more about Cryska & Inia, they look interesting enough as characters.
Jul 22, 2012 6:57 PM
Mar 2012
Well... NEXT EPISODE, Yuuya and Yui's showdown.
Yui's probably going to show up in her yellow Takemikazuchi.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110905051620/muvluv/images/0/00/Type-00FYui.jpg
Jul 22, 2012 7:22 PM
Mar 2012
Yui is too good. Although she is brutal she is correct. Bridges also seems so smug when he's around her.

Some people may think that she's being a bitch but honestly, the way Bridges fails and blames it on the machine is nothing but a loser's way of avoiding loss of face. Nonetheless, he should improve and hopefully they will kick some ass.

Should be good next week. Yui vs Bridges.
Jul 22, 2012 7:30 PM

Jul 2009
Really? This is annoying the fuck out of me. Yui got something up her ass, and Bridges has shits for a brain. She's just wasting her time. If he's so fucken awful, get a new recruit -geez.

Boring episode and looks like it's going to be boring for awhile -- until he finds his inner Japanese.
*sigh*

This feels like propaganda. They're trying to show how fucken awesome Japanese people are. LOL
Jul 22, 2012 7:38 PM

Feb 2012
Decent ep.

Can't wait to see Yui piloting again! I hope she teaches that arrogant Bridges a lesson.

Tenchi_Ryu said:

Yui was right in being harsh though.

It will save the dude's life later on.
Jul 22, 2012 7:47 PM

Dec 2007
Needs more aliens wrecking havoc.
Jul 22, 2012 7:53 PM

May 2011
Kurogashi said:
Really? This is annoying the fuck out of me. Yui got something up her ass, and Bridges has shits for a brain. She's just wasting her time. If he's so fucken awful, get a new recruit -geez.

Boring episode and looks like it's going to be boring for awhile -- until he finds his inner Japanese.
*sigh*

This feels like propaganda. They're trying to show how fucken awesome Japanese people are. LOL

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Jul 22, 2012 8:06 PM

Jul 2012
Kurogashi said:

*sigh*

Thank you for this. I don't care enough to point out how unenjoyable this episode is but I'm glad someone else was able to.

Never expected much from this show in the first place.
Jul 22, 2012 8:39 PM

Nov 2008
Bridges has it tough. Next episode Yui vs Bridges~
Jul 22, 2012 8:47 PM

Apr 2012
I really hope they call those simulated alien battles "BETA tests".
Jul 22, 2012 8:53 PM

Apr 2010
Were the issues he was having with the TSF from Takeru's OS?
Jul 22, 2012 9:09 PM

Jan 2011
Yvese said:
Decent ep.

Can't wait to see Yui piloting again! I hope she teaches that arrogant Bridges a lesson.

Tenchi_Ryu said:

Yui was right in being harsh though.

It will save the dude's life later on.

Don't seem like tough to me, she just generally doesn't seem to like the guy.
Jul 22, 2012 9:16 PM
Apr 2011
She's just being a bitch and insulting the guy and his piloting skills and trying to demean him just because he has no experience in combat with beta?
To me this just seems like butthurt because her friends all got killed because they ignored their combat instructors and talked about their boyfriends.

Also I hate all this nationalism shit.
Jul 22, 2012 9:18 PM

Jan 2008
Todd_Jensen said:
Both of the girls on the cover will be wet for the MC by the time this is over. Count on it.

Hopefully because they are both really annoying, the MC is the reason why I keep watching this how.
Jul 22, 2012 9:24 PM
Apr 2011
lol wow im really surprised at all the yui love going on. since the introduction of the MC ive been on his side. sure he needs to let it go but she is a massive bitch and you really cant deny that. she should take it down a notch and stop downgrading his talents even though he could prolly beat her ass in an american vehicle which i hope he does. she needs to be brought back down. if they have a showdown and bridges doesnt win im gonna be just straight up disgusted with the anime. they really shouldnt have brought in this nationality thing cause it gets to heated while your watching.
Jul 22, 2012 9:30 PM

Nov 2007
antonn said:

While the XM3 might be in development at this point it wouldn't be in circulation yet so it isn't that. Japanese TSFs are just more fickle compared to American TSFs and it takes a lot of getting used to from switching over. That's partly because of the difference in combat philosophy but also because the US generally makes better machines. The Shiranui is a 3rd generation machine but the Strike Eagle can match it in TSF vs TSF combat and the Raptor easily surpasses it. Japan began creating the Shiranui 2nd because they knew that the Shiranui needed an update to match the Raptor.
Jul 22, 2012 9:41 PM
Apr 2011
Urobuchi said:
antonn said:

While the XM3 might be in development at this point it wouldn't be in circulation yet so it isn't that. Japanese TSFs are just more fickle compared to American TSFs and it takes a lot of getting used to from switching over. That's partly because of the difference in combat philosophy but also because the US generally makes better machines. The Shiranui is a 3rd generation machine but the Strike Eagle can match it in TSF vs TSF combat and the Raptor easily surpasses it. Japan began creating the Shiranui 2nd because they knew that the Shiranui needed an update to match the Raptor.

so the american version is better? why is he not driving one of those considering he is more suited for it.
Jul 22, 2012 9:50 PM

Oct 2011
I wonder how the seiyuu feel about insulting their own race...
Jul 22, 2012 9:52 PM
Mar 2012
Bridges would probably kick Yui's ass in the next ep, and they will make peace with each other and there will be Cryska, Yuuya, Yui love triangle according to my prediction lol.
Jul 22, 2012 9:56 PM

Nov 2007
TsukiumiFanboy said:
so the american version is better? why is he not driving one of those considering he is more suited for it.

Well the main point of Total Eclipse isn't fighting the BETA since this is just a side story. The base they're at is mostly for testing various TSFs and weapons. That's why you see a wide variety of TSFs all at once. So they aren't aiming to deploy him against BETA, but just to see how well the Shiranui 2nd does as a machine. Yui already has her Takemikazuchi to use. The pilots in TE are merely there to see if the machine works out before models are sent into real combat by other pilots.

Also the TSF Yuuya is using now is merely a training suit used to help pilots adapt to the demands of a 3rd generation TSF before they become pilots. Although in actual performance it's below a 3rd generation. It's more like a 2nd or 2.5th generation TSF, but the OS/UI is also watered down as well since it's not made for combat purposes.
Jul 22, 2012 10:22 PM

Sep 2010
LOL @ People saying Yui is a bitch.

Have you not seen the episodes with her piloting the same thing Yuuya is piloting now? Seeing her friends getting killed?

Do you not think she's yelling at him so he'll stop being so macho and maybe, you know, not get killed because he thinks he's better than he is?
Jul 22, 2012 10:41 PM
Apr 2011
livingdeadkat said:
LOL @ People saying Yui is a bitch.

Have you not seen the episodes with her piloting the same thing Yuuya is piloting now? Seeing her friends getting killed?

Do you not think she's yelling at him so he'll stop being so macho and maybe, you know, not get killed because he thinks he's better than he is?

But he's better than she is, and she's insulting him instead of just giving constructive criticism.
Jul 22, 2012 10:42 PM
Mar 2012
Yui is at the moment not bitchy at all, she's just being strict to others since she experienced crazy shits back then. Yuuya is a talented man but I doubt he ever got the same experience as Yui, American eishi ain't as hard ass as japanese since they didn't get invaded by BETA except Canada which was already nuked.
P/S: Haven't seen any guys as good at piloting as Takeru so far, maybe Yuuya will be later on.
Jul 22, 2012 10:56 PM

Jun 2010
I thought this ep was good since we got to see more of why Yuuya holds a grudge against Japan and also we got to see a Fubuki ^^
Jul 22, 2012 11:04 PM

Nov 2007
wow she became a mega bitch. she just comes at him completely hostile, and doesn't say anything to the others. she needs to be smacked. I don't get people siding with her. she could be harsh, but not a complete bitch about it.

The one Russian chick is a bitch too, I'm guessing she'll eventually warm up with the other girl.
Jul 22, 2012 11:42 PM

May 2010
the stereotype in this is unbelievable, wow, just wow, other then that the only person im starting to like is Esign for his lay back attitude,
Jul 23, 2012 12:44 AM

Nov 2010
I know many people will not like nationalism issues, lol.

Well, anyway, this is the expected-usual early development of any Muv Luv stories. Training, mock fights and some idealism crash. The question is that will we get to the next stage of story.
Jul 23, 2012 1:37 AM

Jun 2008
maxie said:
s2012k1993 said:
maxie said:

I see a lot of people siding with Yui... if you disregard the nationality part of their hostility for each other, Yui is the one being a bitch here. First mock battle, first thing she says is basically "you suck". Then she gives him a god damn crappy TSF for the next one and once again tells him he sucks... yeah, Bridges' Jap hate is pretty silly IMO, but so is the Japanese arrogance that Yui has. Oh well, hopefully they end up together sooner or later :o

The first two episode really help me understand Yui's actions and words, especially the part about the training being a game and her claim about excuses. Her so called arrogance derives from her not wanting to repeat the same mistakes: her naivete and her lack of understanding the BETA resulted in a near-death experience and a psychological atom bomb. She's saving Bridges' life the hard way.

The main character, on the other hand, seems like a generic angst-filled childhood lead. I haven't noticed anything interesting about him at all. Meanwhile, the side characters remain side characters, but every scene with Yui is a gem for me!

Well yeah, I know. Since the two first episode was Yui backstory, we get sympathy for her, and understand her better. I understand her actions, but just as Yuuya needs to drop his petty unfounded hate for the japanese, she needs to get off her high japanese horse.

I guess I'm overreacting a little bit, but truth is that the Fubuki is junk. It's a training TSF for a reason, and it IS a very sensitive TSF, so that you wouldn't perform very well after switching from a god damn Raptor to a Fubuki isn't weird at all, lol. It's like the engineer dude said, american and japanese TSF are really different since they are made with different tactics in mind.

Still, I dislike his attitude, too, so I'm not exactly a fan of him it's just that the Yui love is through the roof due to the first 2 episodes, so even though they are both acting quite poorly and not getting over their race/nationality, Yui is the one that gets the sympathy.

PS: I love Yui too, I'm just realizing that she isn't perfect. Lol.

But you see there lies the problem with what you say. That TSF isn't junk at all. It works perfectly fine like any other TSF would and even Japanese newbies use them. She knows very well since she herself and other girls used them at high-school age.
So an experience pilot like he is suppose to be should just shut-up and adapt to the machine and learn to control it. He can't claim that a machine that even schoolgirls can handle is a piece of junk that can't be controlled.

Anyway all this tension will probably result in his dick getting harder and her pussy getting wetter as he starts to understand her and she starts to see his progress.

hotdamnbatman said:
She's just being a bitch and insulting the guy and his piloting skills and trying to demean him just because he has no experience in combat with beta?

No she ain't trying to demean him because he has no big experience with BETA she's trying to shock his ass so he can realize what his into before he gets face to face with the BETA and give him the waking up call instead. His lucks of BETA combat makes him naive of their horror and she's trying to wake him up before is too late.

hotdamnbatman said:
To me this just seems like butthurt because her friends all got killed because they ignored their combat instructors and talked about their boyfriends.

This comment is insanely idiotic and stupid.
MonadJul 23, 2012 1:44 AM
Jul 23, 2012 1:45 AM

Dec 2009
To me this whole racial tension aspect of the recent Total Eclipse episode reminds me of post-WWII mentality that people in America had of the Japanese. Considering that history took a much different route by the 1960's the changes in our timeline that promoted Multiculturalism probably wasn't as strong, as Nationalism was more favored over globalization.

This was probably due to countries as a whole fighting for their survival and therefore stoking national unity. This was kinda portrayed in the Alternative VN, where most of the refugee volunteers wanted to fight in order to retake their homelands so to speak.

Plus this occurred in the middle of the Cold War, with humanity divided into two major camps and also America is mostly focused on the Post-BETA world, while most countries looked upon the short term issues of pushing the BETA out of Earth.

I kinda feel bad for Yuuya in this way, he would have more than likely not gotten the bad rap from Yui if the data from his F-22 days was transferable to the Japanese TSF's. The XM3 was truly revolutionary in such ways. Also I agree with some of the previous posts. It would have made more sense to explain that close combat is a tactic that is vital for anti-BETA tactics due to ammo limits rather than stoking Yuuya's bi-racial fears.

Still doesn't TE go past Alternative? What other SS go past that? It would be nice to know the post Primary Hive efforts to clear the Earth of BETA.
NettoAzureJul 23, 2012 1:48 AM
Jul 23, 2012 2:00 AM

Nov 2007
Netto_Azure said:
Still doesn't TE go past Alternative? What other SS go past that? It would be nice to know the post Primary Hive efforts to clear the Earth of BETA.

I believe TE's events barely extend into the beginning of Alternative's. From what I remember there's a story in Alternative Chronicles that takes place a year or so after Alternative in which it shows the attack on objective 20 (which was the hive that was supposed to be taken prior to the Original Hive in Alternative before the plan changed) and that's about it.
Jul 23, 2012 2:34 AM

Jan 2011
man so much discrimination! :C
Jul 23, 2012 3:13 AM

Nov 2011
Looks like a new unit will be introduced. This episode looks like showcase of MC's disability. He has a sword in the back of his TSF but never used it. At least use a knife while on it. Lack of aim, waste of ammo, I can see why Yui mads with him. And i bet he never saw frontline full of BETAs, given how suprised he is. Looks like next episode will show Yui kicks around his pride as pilot.
Jul 23, 2012 3:49 AM

Mar 2011
I really want to give this show a 7 or higher but it's just so grounded in the 5/6 area right now...
I like the second generation Japanese American aspect, it's a little refreshing.
Jul 23, 2012 4:52 AM

Jan 2012
I like it how Yui always appears where Yuuya is, finding a reason to scold him.

Jul 23, 2012 5:36 AM

Jan 2011
mystik said:
wow she became a mega bitch. she just comes at him completely hostile, and doesn't say anything to the others. she needs to be smacked. I don't get people siding with her. she could be harsh, but not a complete bitch about it.

The one Russian chick is a bitch too, I'm guessing she'll eventually warm up with the other girl.

Yea, fuck that bitch, hopefully literally near the final episodes. Strict my ass, she's just being a bitch. Can't lie, when she said that shit about being a disgrace to the japanese, she would have gotten a swollen jaw from me.
Jul 23, 2012 6:34 AM

Jan 2011
Great episode, this is very promising.
I'm looking forward to the next episode.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 23, 2012 6:43 AM

Sep 2010
At least better than previous episode. And Yui's bitchiness is getting too damn annoying. Hobbit girl becomes less annoying, but still annoying.

3.5/5
twonlineJul 23, 2012 6:49 AM
Jul 23, 2012 8:27 AM

Jun 2012
Weird scene with the Scarlet Twins and Bridges whatnot. Eh, good ep 4/5 I think.Also, I so much prefer Takamura with long hair, for it makes her so much sexier. =P
Did you say "nerd"?
----------------------
Not "nerd" -- "node".

Jul 23, 2012 8:40 AM

Feb 2012
Marzan said:
I like the general storyline and setup of this series, but I wished they focused less on national stereotypes and differences. You would have thought than under invasion from an alien species, we would all be just 'humans' again.

Defiantly agree with that you'd think people would realize at least we are all from the same planet, but people can be very petty and hold grudges for a long time so i can see why they wouldn't stop with looking at everyone's differences.
Jul 23, 2012 8:43 AM

Mar 2011
What an EPIC battle of words between Ono Daisuke VS Nakahara Mai but Yui owned Yuuya more. Next ep, maybe will see them fight on a real combat battle between them.
Jul 23, 2012 9:19 AM
Jan 2011
This anime is seriously twisted :|. But so intriguing. I'm all curious about relationship between Bridges and Takamura... Hm, I just wonder how many episodes has this anime... I don't want it to get wasted just because there's not enough time to show everything.
Jul 23, 2012 11:46 AM
Apr 2012
mijuku-nii said:
This anime is seriously twisted :|. But so intriguing. I'm all curious about relationship between Bridges and Takamura... Hm, I just wonder how many episodes has this anime... I don't want it to get wasted just because there's not enough time to show everything.

24 or something around that.
Jul 23, 2012 12:09 PM

Aug 2008
Right. Next episode will finally let Yui kick Yuuya's ass, it seems.
I like Yuuya's overall attitude though. Hope he can learn some productive lessons from Yui.

But on a low side, I'm neither Japanese nor American, but I just hate racism this show is implying.
I hope they will try to express it in a more pleasant way.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 1, 2012

175 by Zane_0 »»
Aug 9, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2012

146 by tinitits »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.