Forums
New
Jul 19, 2012 8:00 AM

Feb 2010
This topic is part of our Graphic Design section:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=419631

And also featured in our Computer tricks and customization section:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=419443

Whats a GIF you ask? Just in case you don't know, a GIF is an picture file with multiple frames and are usually animations or slideshows. Often those frames are directly ripped from a video of some kind and display a scene like in this GIF example below:

How to make an animated GIF from your favorite anime scenes!

Remember this scene in FMA: Brotherhood where Ed and Ling throw the torch in the well? No?! Go watch the anime then! If yes, well guess what I made this GIF right from the anime source! I'll show you how you can too from any video. Then you can post the GIF on your profile, signature, comments, use it in your avatar, or anywhere else! The steps might seem long and complicated but its actually easy and should take only a little over ten minutes, even faster once you get the hang of it! I also added many visual examples to make it easy as possible for you to follow along!

Plus if you use my extra tips correctly you can make an amazingly high-quality gif from an anime (see the bottom of the post for that!).

Step 1
You'll need to download and install these programs for the best quality GIFs- they're all free!
These programs are necessary to make GIFs from parts of anime videos on your computer. Don't worry I use the same links and I find them all safe to download from. The programs are free or free trials. But as you install GOM Converter and Format Factory, watch for the pages offering Babylon and Ask toolbar and uncheck all the boxes. These are safe but unnecessary add-ons for your browsers.

Format Factory:
http://filehippo.com/download_format_factory/
or
http://www.pcfreetime.com/
or
http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/

GOM Conveter Trial:
http://www.brothersoft.com/download-gom-video-converter-301651.html

Jasc Animation Shop Trial (use Softpedia mirrors):
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Animation-Shop-Download-2929.html

Step 2
Get the video you want to make the GIF from.
If you already have the anime video you're making the GIF from on your computer, then you can proceed to step 3! If not, then the video is online, huh? Use my simple tutorial on downloading videos off the web to get it on your computer. Once the video is fully downloaded to your computer, you may proceed to step 3.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=465695

Step 3
Cut the part of the video out that you want out for the GIF
Drag the video into Format Factory and cut out the part that will be the GIF. For the visual example, I'm using episode 25 of FMA: Brotherhood.

Drag the file into the program.

Next choose to convert to AVI (circled in red below). Then click the OK button to the right of it.

Next right click the file and choose Option.

Now you can take the scene from the video out where you want to make the GIF from. Press the play button (has a red 1 next to it) and go to a few moments (about 5 seconds) before the part in the video where you want the GIF to start from and quickly pause it with the same button you pressed earlier (1) then click Start Time (2). This is the part of the video you're cutting out will start, and you'll be converting that video into a GIF later. Play the file again and when it gets to the part a few moments after where you want your GIF to end and pause it again (1) then click End Time (3). This is the part of the video you're cutting out will end. Now click the OK button (4) and hit Start afterwards.

After all that, when you click the Start button on the Format Factory it will produce a video file thats just the scene you cut out!

Step 4
Drag the cut out video into the GOM Converter and rip all its frames.
The video produced after you hit Start will go to the FFoutput folder which should be in your My Documents folder. You'll be using that video for this step.

Open GOM Converter (choose register later if it asks you) and drag that video into it.

Right-click it and choose Screencap Tool, you can see it in the red circle below.

Set the exact same settings I have here circled here in red, then click the Start button. It may take a while, depending on how big the video you originally ripped was.

When done, a new folder will open with all the frames from the anime part you ripped earlier. These will be the frames for your GIF! Proceed with this folder to step 5.

Step 5
Find the dimensions of the frames you ripped.
In that folder that opened from Step 4, find what the dimensions of the frames are. Sometimes it will say if you just hover your cursor over the file, or say on the right, and if it doesn't just right click one of the frames and go to Properties then the Details tab as in the example below. You'll see the dimensions there. You need that for step 6. Keep this folder open.

Step 6
Copy the frames into a single animation in JASC Animation Shop, save as a GIF.

Open JASC Animation Shop now. Go to File (found on top bar of the program) in JASC Animation Shop and select New. Set the dimensions to the same as the frame from the folder. Mine were 704 x 396, but yours may be different. It doesn't matter what the canvas color is set to. Click the OK button.

Now go back to the folder with all the frames in it. Copy all the frames at once. You can do this by clicking inside the folder and hitting Ctrl + A keys on your keyboard, then right clicking the higlighted files and choosing Copy. Or you can go to File/Organize in the folder's option and choose Select All then right clicking the highlighted files and choosing Copy.

After Copying all those files at once, go to JASC and the new project we opened earlier. Right click it and choose Paste and After Current Frame. All the frames you copied from the folder will paste right after the first empty frame.

Now after that, click and delete that first single empty frame from the project!

Step 6
Make last minute adjustments then save!
You are left with only the frames now! You can scroll through them and watch it animate like a flip book! This will be your GIF when you save it.

If its backwards: click on the animation and click the CTRL + A keys on your keyboard. Then go to the Animation option in the top bar of the program and choose Reverse Animation. It will reverse the animation frames at once and put then in proper order!

Delete excess frames! It is a good idea to delete any frames (especially at the start and end) that don't go with your planned GIF, or delete every other frame to make it smaller and reduce load time. You also might want to use JASC's tools to cut the GIF down like in these examples below but its optional.

Resize it? You may want to resize the GIF to make it smaller (resize option circled). Resizing to a smaller size can produce a better quality sometimes and also less size in the end so it loads faster.

Crop it? Narrow the view down to only a particular view or smaller rectangular shape if you want (crop tool circled). This will also reduce the load time since it will be smaller in the end.

...timing! Use Frame Properties under Animation to change the time a single frame is up. It should be at a good frame rate by default tho, at a tenth of a second. A good time per frame is in the range a 7th to a 14th of a second, unless that frame is supposed to be still for some reason then set a longer time.

Once you have all your settings ready, you can save the GIF. Click the animation and F12 on your keyboard. You can use the same settings as I have below, but you can also play with the settings if you wish. The options window can be accessed through the Customize button circled in red.

Now you have your GIF! If there's any problems post here in this thread, you can post GIFs you make too. I'd really like to see!

Extra tips for higher quality GIFs!
The best way is to get the highest quality video file you can! The video I used was only a 704px resolution video and fair quality and it still came out decent. If I used a 1080p video or something like that, I could have got insane quality like this:

Less scenes and action = better GIF quality! Well detailed scenes will get less quality in the end since GIF can only save 255 colors at a time, so an excess of color and texture won't look as good and can get spotty. The moe, ecchi/hentai style, and modern-look animes like Bakemonogatari work really well with GIF because they often have bright and simple details. Something like a Miyazaki anime won't look as good with GIF since there is a lot of detail, but it can still look nice!

Minor detail, and simple colors, make this a great looking GIF with very little spottyness.

Don't oversave a GIF when you're editing it in JASC! Every time you save a GIF it can lose quality. Try using the Undo feature under Edit to take back unwanted changes.

You can use this tutorial on looping a GIF more fluidly:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=411461

You can use this thread to show off your GIFs too, I have some of mine posted here:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=456323
Shishio-kunOct 4, 2015 5:15 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 25, 2012 8:49 PM

Oct 2012

Shishio-kun i have a problem..
It seem's my GIF's is really slow..
I already change the timing of the frame,
Low the quality or make it smaller but the GIF's is till slow...!!

Sample i made:

AnimeOtakuDesuNov 25, 2012 9:10 PM
Nov 26, 2012 1:02 AM

Feb 2010
AnimeOtakuDesu said:

Sample i made:

It has so many frames (probably too many) and you're running most of them at the exact same speed (5/100th of a second). Because the animation is a complicated series of motions it is going to look slow since all the actions individually were meant to be run at faster or varying speeds. Try lowering them all to 1/100 or 2/100 of a second, next preview the animation in the program, then using the preview as a guide adjust each individual frame's timing accordingly.

You didn't need to lower the quality of the animation or size to reduce speed, tho an animation with so many frames will need to be cut down for memory size. You probably should cut many frames out too.
Shishio-kunNov 26, 2012 1:10 AM
Nov 26, 2012 6:06 AM

Oct 2012
Shishio-kun said:
AnimeOtakuDesu said:

Sample i made:

It has so many frames (probably too many) and you're running most of them at the exact same speed (5/100th of a second). Because the animation is a complicated series of motions it is going to look slow since all the actions individually were meant to be run at faster or varying speeds. Try lowering them all to 1/100 or 2/100 of a second, next preview the animation in the program, then using the preview as a guide adjust each individual frame's timing accordingly.

You didn't need to lower the quality of the animation or size to reduce speed, tho an animation with so many frames will need to be cut down for memory size. You probably should cut many frames out too.

Thanks for the Tips...
I Notice that in my PC the GIF's run slow, but when i try in html or in Photobucket or in the Preview its fast...!!

My Only Problem left now that i notice in the GIF's i make it like there a Dirt in the Screen.. There are also some kind of dirt in my 1st Sample..
Its like there's a 2nd Screen in the GIF's that have Dirt on it..
I want to know how to remove it..!
Oh! yeah.. this only Happens when i Upload it (Photobucket)....

And Another: How to show up this Option..? Every-time i save,
it won't show up again.. It seems I Checked the
"Use These Settings when saving Unoptimized files"
I think that's why it wont show up again..!!
I want to show up again so i can control the Quality...

2nd Sample:

BTW: Thank's a Lot.. :3
I looked up in your Profile "About me Section" its like a GIF's Comic Strips..
Wow that's Cool..!! I Somewhat Envy your Imagination and Creativity..! haha :3
AnimeOtakuDesuNov 26, 2012 6:52 AM
Nov 26, 2012 10:34 AM

Feb 2010
On the first thing- the dirt could be many things. First upload the clean GIF to different sites and check the settings you're uploading it in- I suspect its cuz you've set it to be resized and the resizing put the dirt on and lowered the quality. If that doesn't identify the problem you'll need to narrow it down. Make a new GIF and save it in different settings. Always undo your saved changes when you want to save it again, so you're not saving a GIF over again thats been optimized once. Keep saving the GIF in different settings to narrow down the problem.

On the second thing, start a new project and just go to Optimization Wizard under File, it should give you back access to those settings. Uncheck the box there, and you'll be able to choose your settings again.

Thanks your choice of GIFs are unique and nice!
Nov 26, 2012 8:37 PM

Oct 2012

I Just Realize that the Photobucket is Lowering the Quality of My GIF's..

I noticed that the Quality of my GIF i uploaded in the Imgur.com still remains
But when i Posted in here the Quality Lowered..!! There are some Dirts again.. T_T
Please Check the Difference Between the Direct Link and the GIF i Posted here..!!

Direct Link from Imgur: The Quality Remains
Imgur:

Direct Link from Photobucket: The Quality is Change and its the same in the Forum i Posted..
Photobucket:

I Also noticed that some of your GIF's is in JPEG format..!? how do you that..?
Is there a Benefit in that..!?

AnimeOtakuDesuNov 27, 2012 12:02 AM
Nov 30, 2012 2:10 PM

Oct 2012
Thanks for this tutorial and your efforts to make it :) And also thanks for recommending the awesome programms
It helped me a lot :)
Dec 1, 2012 10:25 AM

Feb 2010
AnimeOtakuDesu said:

I Just Realize that the Photobucket is Lowering the Quality of My GIF's..

I noticed that the Quality of my GIF i uploaded in the Imgur.com still remains
But when i Posted in here the Quality Lowered..!! There are some Dirts again.. T_T
Please Check the Difference Between the Direct Link and the GIF i Posted here..!!

Direct Link from Imgur: The Quality Remains
Imgur:

Direct Link from Photobucket: The Quality is Change and its the same in the Forum i Posted..
Photobucket:

I Also noticed that some of your GIF's is in JPEG format..!? how do you that..?
Is there a Benefit in that..!?

Wow that GIF is really nice without the dirt! Love the color and shes real cute.

You should use a different uploading service to post your GIfs then like Tinypic. I never had that problem with either site, so you just have to narrow down why yours are like that. I think it might be the settings on the site you have so check those as well. Try posting other peoples GIFs and see if they still get resized and what not too.

Jpeg is just the name of the link you get from Tinypic they name all images types JPEG altho its not in that form necessarily. No benefit.
Dec 30, 2012 9:54 AM

Feb 2010
Shinx233 said:
Help I'm having problem in this one http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=465723

at step 4 at the last part after the new folder open there is no file...anyone help me?

thanks in advance

Its impossible to tell with such little info but there's some things you can try first:

Make sure the video you made in step 3 actually works. If it doesn't play then its empty and there was nothing for the program to extract in step 4. You have to do step 3 over again and make sure you actually cut something this time before bringin into step 4.

Also check that you have the exact settings I have set in step 4. If anythings different it might not work.
Dec 30, 2012 9:12 PM

Aug 2012
Thanks it works now :)
Mar 13, 2013 1:34 AM

Apr 2012
Hi, I found a easiest way to make animated gifs from any video.

All with opensource software(cccp, avisynth, asvpmod, virtualdub).

In a few days I'll post the detailed tuto with pics and links.

In a couple of minutes I make this:

from Fairy Tail 172(mkv, h264 10-bits, softsubs included in the gif automagically).
Mar 13, 2013 3:33 PM

Feb 2010
al_exs said:

from Fairy Tail 172(mkv, h264 10-bits, softsubs included in the gif automagically).

Nice looking forward to it, pls make a separate topic on it from this one tho so I can link both.
Mar 15, 2013 12:54 AM

Oct 2012
al_exs said:

Cool... Can you send me a Link of the Tutorial after you post it..!!
Jun 2, 2013 3:31 AM

Dec 2012
Heh, having this tutorial as a base up, I created this in less than 15 minutes (installation and download of files included):

MonsterguyJun 2, 2013 3:39 AM

Jan 17, 2014 2:49 PM

Feb 2012
Hii :D
Really nice tutorial, I could do all the steps, the only problem is that I just couldn't save the gif I made. It says that there isn't enough free space, although there's plenty of free space in my pc. Everytime I try, the program makes more and more difficult to save, and now I can't even press the save buttom anymore. Do you have any idea of why is that?
The world’s not perfect, but it’s there for us trying the best it can. That’s what makes it so damn beautiful.
Roy Mustang
Jan 17, 2014 5:12 PM

Feb 2010
ErtaAle said:
Hii :D
Really nice tutorial, I could do all the steps, the only problem is that I just couldn't save the gif I made. It says that there isn't enough free space, although there's plenty of free space in my pc. Everytime I try, the program makes more and more difficult to save, and now I can't even press the save buttom anymore. Do you have any idea of why is that?

Sorry I don't remember encountering this and haven't used this in a while, not sure of any ways to get around it either (maybe try other saving options?). Try Al_ex's tutorial as an alternative, it works well too

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=571163
Mar 23, 2014 8:11 PM

Sep 2009
thank you soo much !!! for the tips and everything *o*

but one question. Do you know other programs beside FF and Gom converter, for making gifs?
*ANIME I.NTERE.ST*----> +IN anime pictures and get FREE anime & manga merchandize from JAPAN!
Mar 24, 2014 5:37 PM

Apr 2012
Photoshop can be used to make GIF's.

Also if you have a sequence of images there are command line tools, to join them in a single GIF.

Some web pages allow to make GIF's from youtube videos.

I make some GIFs with avisynth+VirtualDub, as I explain in my post:
Sep 10, 2014 9:16 AM

Dec 2013
Hi I have a problem while using Format Factory. I can't convert the specific part of the video i want to. I select the start and end just like in the tutorial but somehow it doesn't convert that part.

Does it matter at all that my video has ordered chapters. Not even sure it has cause not sure how to know but the folder came with OP and 13 different ED.

Don't know how to make it work.

Somehow the program can't convert the exact second i want to. I had to take like 10 second before and 10 seconds after. Every time it converted the time i wanted the first second of the video won't work. This happened only with this video I've made some other gifs and no problem.
edup_2004Sep 10, 2014 9:27 AM
Sep 10, 2014 12:34 PM

Feb 2010
edup_2004 said:
Hi I have a problem while using Format Factory. I can't convert the specific part of the video i want to. I select the start and end just like in the tutorial but somehow it doesn't convert that part.

Does it matter at all that my video has ordered chapters. Not even sure it has cause not sure how to know but the folder came with OP and 13 different ED.

Don't know how to make it work.

Somehow the program can't convert the exact second i want to. I had to take like 10 second before and 10 seconds after. Every time it converted the time i wanted the first second of the video won't work. This happened only with this video I've made some other gifs and no problem.

Hmm well I don't know about that error, but I would suggest:

convert the video to another file type first, then start over with that video in the new format

if you get the extra ten seconds before, try to just cut away them in your animation program

try alexs's topic his is good too:
Jun 23, 2015 12:07 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Never said thank you for this - one of the more helpful tutorials out there
Jun 23, 2015 1:04 PM

Feb 2010
This still works well? That would be good to know as I'm updating the whole graphic design section and need to review this later.
Sep 25, 2015 11:10 AM

Jul 2014
It might be me, but i cant see any of the example images you use on this tutorial

Ive managed around without the images, but in the case of Step 4, where you say "Set the exact same settings I have here circled here in red, then click the Start button.", i believe it is necessary to see the image to know what settings to set
RazorBladeSep 25, 2015 11:16 AM
May 17, 2017 11:34 PM

Mar 2015
I'm a new to making GIFs and enjoy making them and I noticed that some GIFs move faster than the others so I'd like to ask... How do you do that?
May 18, 2017 1:42 AM

Feb 2010
singlang said:
I'm a new to making GIFs and enjoy making them and I noticed that some GIFs move faster than the others so I'd like to ask... How do you do that?

Frame Properties in JASC animation shop
May 18, 2017 1:48 AM

Mar 2015
Shishio-kun said:
singlang said:

I don't really get it but thanks anyway! I'll just search that in Google haha:)
May 18, 2017 4:52 AM

Feb 2010
singlang said:
Shishio-kun said:

Here's a better explanation then-

Animation is split into frames. It's basically each picture that makes up your animation. They are played one after another, one at a time. Frame 2 follows frame 1, and so forth. Despite what many ppl think, each frame is on screen for a certain amount of time that can vary from animation to animation. For example if you have a animation that's 2 frames only, but each frame is 1 second long, then that animation will be 2 seconds total and appear slow. If you set each frame to be only 1/4 a second long, then the animation will only be one half second long total and go by quickly.

I think usually animation frames are on screen for 10/100 to 24/100 of a second each.

If you drag an animation (GIF) into JASC, then right click one of the frames, you'll see Frame Properties. This is the time the frame is on screen. You set each frame for a shorter time to make the animation faster, and set frames for longer times to make the animation slower.
Shishio-kunMay 18, 2017 4:55 AM
May 18, 2017 6:23 AM

Mar 2015
Shishio-kun said:
singlang said:

Here's a better explanation then-

Animation is split into frames. It's basically each picture that makes up your animation. They are played one after another, one at a time. Frame 2 follows frame 1, and so forth. Despite what many ppl think, each frame is on screen for a certain amount of time that can vary from animation to animation. For example if you have a animation that's 2 frames only, but each frame is 1 second long, then that animation will be 2 seconds total and appear slow. If you set each frame to be only 1/4 a second long, then the animation will only be one half second long total and go by quickly.

I think usually animation frames are on screen for 10/100 to 24/100 of a second each.

If you drag an animation (GIF) into JASC, then right click one of the frames, you'll see Frame Properties. This is the time the frame is on screen. You set each frame for a shorter time to make the animation faster, and set frames for longer times to make the animation slower.

I get it now! This really helps so thank you😊 and sorry letting you get out of your way just to explain it to me haha
singlangMay 18, 2017 6:41 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» ❓ Ask for help here + See Frequently Asked Questions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shishio-kun - Apr 15, 2010

7812 by mtsRhea »»
Apr 21, 5:25 AM

» [CSS- MODERN] ⭐ Minimal Dashboard layout by 5cm ~ Compact and convenient! ( 1 2 3 )

Shishio-kun - Sep 4, 2020

121 by Pokitaru »»
Apr 21, 3:25 AM

» [CSS-MODERN] Change list text/font colors on any list layout

Shishio-kun - May 4, 2021

3 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

» [CSS] [VIDEO GUIDE] ⭐️ How to change fonts on a list layout

Shishio-kun - Jul 15, 2019

17 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 4:03 PM

» [CSS][Modern] ☀️ Endless Summer Layout by Cateinya ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cateinya - Aug 18, 2016

309 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 3:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.