Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2012 9:05 PM
Sep 2010
I was pretty anxious about this anime, being a fan of the LN, but so far things are definitely off to a good start!
I can only hope that the rest of the series will live up to my expectations.
We'll probably get a better idea of how far this goes by the next few episodes hopefully
(though i do hope that it lasts for awhile )
I do like the fact that they haven't cleared floor 1 by my birthday haha
Jul 7, 2012 9:07 PM

Feb 2010
Alright, so this was a great first episode. Animation is great enough to show the beauty of Aincrad and the Sword Skills are shown well, as well as ingame mechanics. First episode is exactly what it was in the novel so thats a + for me.
The amount of male players that ended up being there (around 80%) was quite a laugh too. I liked how they showed that. Great job.

OVERALL I THINK THIS ANIME WILL BE AMAZING HEHEHEH!
(So...many...spoilers... in the .... OP (ED) though. well, sooner or later I guess >_>)
Jul 7, 2012 9:09 PM

Feb 2012
setsun3z said:
Just dropping this off just in case he wasn't trolling...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intravenous_therapy

Adding onto what you said they would also need a ventilator and feeding tube. If you want to know exactly how they keep people who are alive that are in a coma then, you can look in the look below. It's basically how they would keep players alive.

http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/coma.html

It's a pretty basic explanation of what a coma is ( you don't need that part :P ) and, a section on "How Do People Take Care of Someone in a Coma?" ( that's most likely what your interested in if you don't understand how they keep people alive in the RL )
Jul 7, 2012 9:12 PM
Jun 2008
xlRevanlx said:
You guys think its good for them not to add magic?
well.... this is the first game that actually enable people to move virtually inside the game.The game want the player to fully utilize the whole body. It won't be fun if people can cast magic just by doing some simple hand movement and chant .
MidnightPride said:
It's a pretty basic explanation of what a coma is ( you don't need that part :P ) and, a section on "How Do People Take Care of Someone in a Coma?" ( that's most likely what your interested in if you don't understand how they keep people alive in the RL )
they will stay alive but their body will just get more weaker everyday goes by even thou they are moving in virtual world .
MorningGloryJul 7, 2012 9:15 PM
Jul 7, 2012 9:17 PM

Feb 2012
MorningGlory said:
xlRevanlx said:
well.... this is the first game that actually enable people to move virtually inside the game.The game want the player to fully utilize the whole body. It won't be fun if people can cast magic just by doing some simple hand movement and chant .
MidnightPride said:
they will stay alive but their body will just get more weaker everyday goes by even thou they are moving in virtual world .

Unless Nerve Gear gives them nutrition and, other stuff they won't stay alive with just the nerve gear ( if thats what you mean? ) but, your are right that when they do wake up if they spent a lot of time without moving their muscles will be stiff and, most likely will need rehab that also includes re building the muscle so they are average strength again.
Jul 7, 2012 9:19 PM

Oct 2009
MorningGlory said:
xlRevanlx said:
MidnightPride said:

There was a great explanation of what happened to their bodies at the end of vol. 1...

MidnightPride said:
Unless Nerve Gear gives them nutrition and, other stuff they won't stay alive with just the nerve gear ( if thats what you mean? ) but, your are right that when they do wake up if they spent a lot of time without moving their muscles will be stiff and, most likely will need rehab that also includes re building the muscle so they are average strength again.

Stated many times... the Japanese Governemtn foots the bill to have all the remaining players of the 10,000 logged in transferred and cared for at a hospital for the remainder of their stay in the game. They are treated as if they are in a 'brain-dead' coma and everything is taken care of for them [from IV nutrients to waste management].
Firestalker5Jul 7, 2012 9:22 PM

Dec 2011
KingofConquerors said:
Firestalker5 said:

Also, there is no real information about the last half of the series... We can only guess based on the information at hand, but there has been a bit of debate about whether or not they will include volumes 3-4 [ALO arc]. Personally I think they should in the later half of the series since volume 4 is a much better end than Volume 1 [Vol. 2 is all SS so there is no end].

Then they can take their time to get approval for another run and do the GGO and Mother's Rosario stories [maybe a few SS as well]. After all that... if they can manage to get support, they can tackle Alicization, all in one go. That arc is by far the longest. They could probably manage it in 2 cour.

But it all comes down to support from the fans and if the demand is enough...

if that's the scenario it would be so nice, 'cause vol.4 makes such a much a better end than volume 1

Honestly, volume 1,2,3, and 4 is the best imo, and after that I didn't find the novel as interesting as in SAO arc. Mainly because all the tension is gone since
amc9988Jul 7, 2012 9:26 PM

Jul 2009
I kinda hate that all this "MMORPG" series start the same, I mean they are stuck in a virtual world and the only why too logout is to beat the game. Anywho this first ep was good i cant wait for more :)
Nothing in this world lasts forever, and it´s time you accept that.
It's better to not cling to these things that you will eventually lose.
Jul 7, 2012 9:20 PM

Apr 2008
I'm relieved to see the LN being done justice. From what I can tell some of the characters from volume 2 had a cameo, and Yui was in the ED. I don't know if they're going to mix in the extra stories or leave them for after the vol 1 stuff, but either way It's a very good thing to see them included.

Here's hoping we get a two cour run, and not just 13 episodes, but I won't hold my breath.
Jul 7, 2012 9:21 PM
Jun 2008
Firestalker5 said:

There was a great explanation of what happened to their bodies at the end of vol. 1...
Doesn't really need a spoiler actually since people who seen Matrix knows that lol
Krillus said:
I kinda hate that all this "MMORPG" series start the same, I mean they are stuck in a virtual world and the only why too logout is to beat the game. Anywho this first ep was good i cant wait for more :)
haha, there is no ending in real mmorpg
Jul 7, 2012 9:21 PM
Jul 2012
MidnightPride said:
MorningGlory said:
xlRevanlx said:
MidnightPride said:

Indeed.

Spoil #1:

Do not touch bigger Spoil #2:
Jul 7, 2012 9:23 PM

Mar 2011
Acinonyx said:
I'm relieved to see the LN being done justice. From what I can tell some of the characters from volume 2 had a cameo, and Yui was in the ED. I don't know if they're going to mix in the extra stories or leave them for after the vol 1 stuff, but either way It's a very good thing to see them included.

Here's hoping we get a two cour run, and not just 13 episodes, but I won't hold my breath.

It has been confirmed that it will run two cour
Jul 7, 2012 9:24 PM
Mar 2012
Firestalker5 said:
KingofConquerors said:
Firestalker5 said:

Also, there is no real information about the last half of the series... We can only guess based on the information at hand, but there has been a bit of debate about whether or not they will include volumes 3-4 [ALO arc]. Personally I think they should in the later half of the series since volume 4 is a much better end than Volume 1 [Vol. 2 is all SS so there is no end].

Then they can take their time to get approval for another run and do the GGO and Mother's Rosario stories [maybe a few SS as well]. After all that... if they can manage to get support, they can tackle Alicization, all in one go. That arc is by far the longest. They could probably manage it in 2 cour.

if that's the scenario it would be so nice, 'cause vol.4 makes such a much a better end than volume 1

There was also a bunch of junk in that Arc... I'll refrain from major spoilers but the whole first part of Vol. 4 with the God Mob, not needed at all.

Jul 7, 2012 9:30 PM

Aug 2011
Certainly better than Accel World. I loved the first episode. Kazuto is one main character that i love.
Jul 7, 2012 9:31 PM

May 2012
This looks like it could be a really fun series! The first anime of Summer 2012 I've decided to pick up! I definitely look forward to seeing how everything plays out. The video game theme really hooked me in. Hopefully there will be some crazy action scenes and emotional character bonds and relationships. Maybe a few dramatic deaths here and there? Who knows? I see great potential with this series, hopefully my expectations are met and exceeded.
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Jul 7, 2012 9:33 PM
Apr 2011
KingofConquerors said:
Firestalker5 said:
KingofConquerors said:
Firestalker5 said:

There was also a bunch of junk in that Arc... I'll refrain from major spoilers but the whole first part of Vol. 4 with the God Mob, not needed at all.

Volume 3 and 4 will probably be adapted unless a lot of extra side stories are added and/or each Volume 2 side story is made into 3-4 episodes.
Jul 7, 2012 9:36 PM

Jun 2009
inb4 Korean player beats the game before episode 2.

Doesn't this make you hungry?
Jul 7, 2012 9:36 PM
Mar 2012
amc9988 said:

Honestly, volume 1,2,3, and 4 is the best imo, and after that I didn't find the novel as interesting as in SAO arc. Mainly because all the tension is gone since
amc9988 said:
KingofConquerors said:
Firestalker5 said:

amc9988 said:
KingofConquerors said:
Firestalker5 said:

Jul 7, 2012 9:46 PM

Oct 2009
I enjoyed ALO arc [Vol. 3-4] because it was like a continuation... No real tension like SAO but definite emotions. Also GGO arc [vol. 5-6] was also good because it opened a way for Kirito to explore some of the emotional scars he had almost forgot about left from SAO. The rest up to vol. 9 were just filler if you will, but vol. 7 made me cry a lot!

Vol. 9 is the start of the last arc -Alicization- it also has a lot of tension because of the content, but right now there not enough on the story [unless you count the Web series these LN are based on then it's finished] to really understand what's going on. Since vol. 9 is labelled as a prologue to Alicization.

MorningGlory said:
Doesn't really need a spoiler actually since people who seen Matrix knows that lol

I was thinking more about the spoiler of the end of the volume where Kirito wakes up... Just being cautious.

KingofConquerors said:

I do admit that... Plus -
Jul 7, 2012 9:48 PM
Sep 2010
ScarletMuse said:
Alright, so this was a great first episode. Animation is great enough to show the beauty of Aincrad and the Sword Skills are shown well, as well as ingame mechanics. First episode is exactly what it was in the novel so thats a + for me.
The amount of male players that ended up being there (around 80%) was quite a laugh too. I liked how they showed that. Great job.

(So...many...spoilers... in the .... OP (ED) though. well, sooner or later I guess >_>)

I agreed with about everything you've said haha

Jul 7, 2012 9:59 PM

Oct 2009
icyrainz said:

From what I can gather based on the pre-air information... The next episode will start off at the start of the Aria SS. That's the SS that tells you how Kirito and Asuna meet for the first time. Then they join the mission to beat the 1st floor boss. A really good SS and one that tells you that they might very plan to take the story chronologically through the SS then main story.
Jul 7, 2012 10:02 PM
Jul 2012
Firestalker5 said:
icyrainz said:

From what I can gather based on the pre-air information... The next episode will start off at the start of the Aria SS. That's the SS that tells you how Kirito and Asuna meet for the first time. Then they join the mission to beat the 1st floor boss. A really good SS and one that tells you that they might very plan to take the story chronologically through the SS then main story.

I wonder how long it will be... It doesn't seem like one episode is enough for the entire SS. Yet, they label the next episode with the term created at the ending of Aria.
Jul 7, 2012 10:04 PM
Apr 2011
icyrainz said:
ScarletMuse said:

Like you I wonder how exactly they will incorporate the second volume. Using flashbacks would not be fitting for anime format. However, I feel that Asuna would be lost as the main heroine with all the other heroines appearing.
Jul 7, 2012 10:04 PM

Nov 2011
Looks like next week will airs Aria in the Starless Night since "Beater" is introduced at the end of that arc. Can't wait for Kirito to become a badass
Jul 7, 2012 10:07 PM

Apr 2012
This episode was epic, and this anime is epic. When I've heard it's the same author/similar to Accel World, my heart started burning, and the words that I uterred were "You shalt not dissappoint me...".

And so it was...

5/5

The drama was just right, it didn't got cheesy, it introduced us the MC, Art is amazing, Sound is good too, it explained quite a lot about SAO too, it didn't miss anything.

This is already a 10/10 anime.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jul 7, 2012 10:09 PM

Oct 2009
Saineria said:
I wonder how long it will be... It doesn't seem like one episode is enough for the entire SS. Yet, they label the next episode with the term created at the ending of Aria.

Not sure how long it'll be but I think they could pull of the entire Aria SS in one episode. They don't need some of it and most of the length is a long explanation from Kirito about the game mechanics. As long as they keep the Beta hate it'll be all good.

Iniser said:
Like you I wonder how exactly they will incorporate the second volume. Using flashbacks would not be fitting for anime format. However, I feel that Asuna would be lost as the main heroine with all the other heroines appearing.

Actually there is a fair number of SS that have Asuna in them at least briefly. There is only two that I know of at the moment that don't... First day and Scilica SS. All the others have her in them, at least for a little bit.
Firestalker5Jul 7, 2012 10:12 PM
Jul 7, 2012 10:09 PM

Jun 2012
Good job at introducing the rules and premise of the show/world. We got a slice of the world but all of the little hints of what else is in the game made me want to watch episode 2 now.

Random Thoughts:
My prediction is the guy who left will end up becoming an enemy of our protagonist in the future.

Really nice background art! Great job A-1 Pictures

Even after the creator's explanation of why he trapped everyone in I still don't quite understand. He just wants to have control over other people? Is it a God Complex? Help!
Jul 7, 2012 10:10 PM

Aug 2011
i was wondering when the guy the protagonist met said you are totally my type was that him hinting he is gay? that was kinda confusing lol
and i kinda figured it would play out like this them getting stuck in the virtual reality world
Jul 7, 2012 10:12 PM

Nov 2011
Really digging it so far. The animation is nice and the whole MMORPG "If I die here I die in life" isn't exactly new but it is kind of refreshing and if done right will be really good.

I especially like how they made Cline look. Read the manga and Cline looked kind of bad to me.(Looked a WHOLE lot older, very unclean, etc.) In the anime they manage to kind of keep his unclean look sort of but at the same time make him look pretty appealing to.

Excited to see how this progresses. :D
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 7, 2012 10:12 PM

Oct 2009
Hybridbloodszak said:
Good job at introducing the rules and premise of the show/world.

Immahnoob said:
The drama was just right, it didn't got cheesy, it introduced us the MC, Art is amazing, Sound is good too, it explained quite a lot about SAO too, it didn't miss anything.

I just wish they explained that ONLY ONE PERSON NEEDS TO CLEAR FLOOR 100... A lot of people watching think they all have to clear the floors individually. That's wrong and changes the dynamics of the story a lot.

Hybridbloodszak said:
Random Thoughts:
My prediction is the guy who left will end up becoming an enemy of our protagonist in the future.

Not to spoil anything, but
Firestalker5Jul 7, 2012 10:16 PM
Jul 7, 2012 10:20 PM

Apr 2012
Firestalker5 said:
Hybridbloodszak said:

Immahnoob said:

I just wish they explained that ONLY ONE PERSON NEEDS TO CLEAR FLOOR 100... A lot of people watching think they all have to clear the floors individually. That's wrong and changes the dynamics of the story a lot.

Hybridbloodszak said:
Random Thoughts:

Maybe they'll explain that later... I didn't thought it's actually like that. I don't see what it changes tho, maybe that without telling anybody that, people will keep on sacrificing themselves to get up there, thus killing off some useless characters.

They won't forget to tell us that tho.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jul 7, 2012 10:21 PM

Feb 2012
jesseman1993 said:
i was wondering when the guy the protagonist met said you are totally my type was that him hinting he is gay? that was kinda confusing lol
and i kinda figured it would play out like this them getting stuck in the virtual reality world

Jul 7, 2012 10:21 PM

Feb 2010
hnryirawan said:
Looks like next week will airs Aria in the Starless Night since "Beater" is introduced at the end of that arc. Can't wait for Kirito to become a badass

Couldn't have said it any better myself. And the fated meeting. Oh yes.
Jul 7, 2012 10:23 PM
Jul 2012
MidnightPride said:
jesseman1993 said:

Jul 7, 2012 10:23 PM

Feb 2010
xlRevanlx said:

In place of magic for Sword Art Online specifically, there are Sword Skills.
Jul 7, 2012 10:25 PM

Oct 2009
Immahnoob said:
Maybe they'll explain that later... I didn't thought it's actually like that. I don't see what it changes tho, maybe that without telling anybody that, people will keep on sacrificing themselves to get up there, thus killing off some useless characters.

They won't forget to tell us that tho.

Well there were quite a few players that didn't want to fight because of the chance of death. In fact there were only a handful people willing to actively stay on the Front Lines to try and clear the game. There were also people that weren't on the FL, but helped by support [merchants and information gatherers]. Plus there a few kids that were logged in and are too young and weak to actually go that far.
Jul 7, 2012 10:28 PM
Sep 2010
Firestalker5 said:
Hybridbloodszak said:

Immahnoob said:

Hybridbloodszak said:
Random Thoughts:

I have to say that the last part with the spoiler tag made me laugh a bit xD

and yea i guess the anime tried to more or less imply it instead of directly saying it which could cause confusion when people try to predict what happens. Though thats not to say that everyone naturally gets along.

ahhh too many questions!!!!
I'm definitely too excited about this series haha
Jul 7, 2012 10:33 PM
Jul 2012
icyrainz said:
Firestalker5 said:
Hybridbloodszak said:

Immahnoob said:

Hybridbloodszak said:
Random Thoughts:

and yea i guess the anime tried to more or less imply it instead of directly saying it which could cause confusion when people try to predict what happens. Though thats not to say that everyone naturally gets along.

icyrainz said:
Firestalker5 said:
Hybridbloodszak said:

Immahnoob said:

Hybridbloodszak said:
Random Thoughts:

Jul 7, 2012 10:36 PM
Jul 2008
This is actually quite interesting. Waiting for the next episode.
Jul 7, 2012 10:42 PM

Jun 2007
Wait wait wait hold the phone. If the head gear kills them by microwave radiation then why don't the police/hospitals just use RF/microwave shielding around the person's head and then kill the power to the servers? I'm not sure if this is explained later on or not but it's relatively easy to block microwave radiation waves. I suppose it might be a little hard shoving material under the head gear and over the person's head but judging from the photos of people with the head gear on, it looks possible.

Could also just put a large magnet(s) to the head gear to fry the circuit board. Even if the battery still works, it wont be much use if the head gear doesn't function.
Jul 7, 2012 10:43 PM
Jun 2008
the whole forum filled with spoiler tag lol
Jul 7, 2012 10:43 PM

Jun 2008
This is a terrorist attempting (and in some ways, already succeeding in) genocide. They had damn well better explain how he's not going to be stopped, and fast.

Also, how do they sustain their real-world bodies?
Jul 7, 2012 10:45 PM

Jan 2009
And so it begins, these coming months are going to be awesome.
Jul 7, 2012 10:48 PM

Feb 2012
DeathfireD said:
Wait wait wait hold the phone. If the head gear kills them by microwave radiation then why don't the police/hospitals just use RF/microwave shielding around the person's head and then kill the power to the servers? I'm not sure if this is explained later on or not but it's relatively easy to block microwave radiation waves. I suppose it might be a little hard shoving material under the head gear and over the person's head but judging from the photos of people with the head gear on, it looks possible.

Could also just put a large magnet(s) to the head gear to fry the circuit board. Even if the battery still works, it wont be much use if the head gear doesn't function.

If you ask me they should just use a small EMP or EMI to shut the gear down ( battery and all ) take it off. The problem they dont know what will happen if they try something like that. The kid could die or something which is why they wouldn't try anything

Regardless of what happens the possibility of surviving is low so it would be best to leave the kids alone and hope they either win or hack SAO server to force log out all players.
Jul 7, 2012 10:50 PM

Jan 2012
Just got done watching the first episode and it's pretty amazing so far
Jul 7, 2012 10:50 PM

Feb 2012
Redfoxoffire said:
This is a terrorist attempting (and in some ways, already succeeding in) genocide. They had damn well better explain how he's not going to be stopped, and fast.

Also, how do they sustain their real-world bodies?

Same way they would if the children where in a coma read here for information about coma , how they keep people alive and, what happens after they wake up

http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/coma.html
Jul 7, 2012 10:51 PM

Mar 2011
DeathfireD said:

Good question, I wonder too
Although idk much about microwave radiation, your theory looks plausible
I wonder too if this question explained in the novel or not

But, for me it's more enjoyable to not questioned too much detail of the anime, different case with novel though
Jul 7, 2012 10:56 PM
Sep 2010
Saineria said:

Ah i think you might be right i probably just thought about it from the descriptions and references lol

There is no such thing as too many spoiler tags!!!!!
Jul 7, 2012 10:57 PM
Jul 2012
icyrainz said:
Saineria said:

Ah i think you might be right i probably just thought about it from the descriptions and references lol

There is no such thing as too many spoiler tags!!!!!

Jul 7, 2012 11:11 PM
Mar 2012
Iniser said:

yeah i know,
Pages (19) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.