Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2012 8:42 AM
Jan 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode one is already here in Mexico, I don't about u guys out there, but it is still in raw.

Btw, I can't provide any link, co'z I've only watch this from a Satellite TV which we were able to leech from a Border Patrol detachment at Tijuana.
Nasty001Jul 4, 2012 9:21 AM
Jul 5, 2012 10:16 PM

Feb 2012
None here yet... can't wait :D
Jul 5, 2012 10:16 PM

Aug 2010
You couldn't have possibly seen the episode because it didn't air even in Japan yet.
Proof: http://countdown.mandragon.info/
-.-"
The truth is... I do not now the truth, only the pretty lies!!!
English is not my first language so I'm sorry for my mistakes and I hope you understood what I wanted so say. ^^
Jul 5, 2012 10:19 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
pre-screening got leaked?
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 7, 2012 7:00 AM
Feb 2012
cant find it anywhere on the net please post the link if you have it

Jul 7, 2012 7:39 AM

Aug 2009
stronghold1135 said:
cant find it anywhere on the net please post the link if you have it

Dude he's lying, he just wanted to start the thread.

It's not like we don't already know what it is, though

Training alone -> flashback -> training with Chine -> big announcement in town square -> episode ends
no
Jul 7, 2012 8:06 AM

Oct 2010
IT'S AIRING NOW! My proof is the opening in the following spoiler
very nice with the added city view and that one male getting ready to fight. Along with IRL computer to go online.

Apart from that I shall start what really blew me off hard. The first thing is him in the following,

Along with the spoiler
when that shit happens, it was quite the adrenaline WTF rush. Even my friend was like THIS IS BAD! The black magician looks like the one from Sailor Moon Season 3 of the USA version. Man that red shit was also crazy.

What came even more shocking is in the spoiler
DEAD? Are you seriously shitting me from a game? Quite the thrill and in fact I can’t believe it since I never read anything else of this series. You really die on the spot with 0 HP. That is horrible! Terrible! The game is certainly not worth the risk of your life.

About the beginning, it was great in the spoiler
the characters are rich enough for my eyes. The setting surely is reminder of something like Diablo 3 Act 2 part. To say the least.

About Cline’s field practice, quite nice for moves in the spoiler
adding of course the little MOB monster. I was impressed with SFX and light used along with the setting.

About Cline’s hand shake, well that part in the spoiler
showed how rich Cline was in his expression. I agree with my friend he can be quite hysterical but funny at times. Though a little bit of a whiner. What really was amazing in this part is the setting and the sun. Both melding nicely.

About SHIT HITS THE FANS! Yeah that was quite the shocker in the spoiler
that bleeding hand but also how comedy got put in in the form of Cline meeting Kazuto whom I know his moves and all now that I spoiled myself.

About the girls, for one Rika "Liz, Lizbeth" Shinozaki in the spoiler
is well done. I like her appearance from this. I know a little of her but I want to see how she is expressed in what I know of her from the little spoilers gathering on the net.

This girl in the spoiler
looks also adorable, however I am curious as to her role in this series. I hope it’s not cattle food to see getting killed.

About thee end, nice leaving off with Cline and Kazuto in the spoiler
I like how they show the level and Hps. Rather neat TBH. There is also random girl going outside of her place that perhaps more will be shown later.

About OP/ED? (which one exactly?) the most that pleases me is the following,

Now that is nice of Kazuto along with the spoiler
showing him running, it’s perfect.

The other element I like is how Yuuki Asuna, whom I claim already for myself no matter who else does and the other girl in the spoiler
are shown and depicted. For one Asuna has a reflection so she will have 2 sides of her to deal with in terms of her character I am sure while the other one seems to be shown in total innocence whom LN readers I am sure know already. Other than that the list tells more.
  • The 2 swords in the spoiler
    manage to captivate. I assume one is of Asuna and the other of Kazuto? Well certainly the darker one is of my liking. WTF is Cloud’s sword? ROFL!

• The Tombstone with the names in the spoiler
    rather very pleasing but most of all the heavy reminder of death being quite present. Still a scary shit to see this emitting from a game.

• The character intros in the spoiler
    in general are nicely shown and have a good background each propitious to their character. Rather very well done.

• The monster catch in the spoiler
    shows and reminds of some nice monster killing despite being limited, I think it depicts well enough to remind a little.

• Finally a nice depiction of Asuna and Kazuto in the spoiler
    leaves a lot to desire. A show of friendship but perhaps eventually developing more as this scene shows them eating alone together or about to and just the 2 of them.
Suffice to say a very well done OP/ED? Whichever it is. Art nice.

So this series will be kind of Bokurano meets virtual reality in where once the player’s HP are 0 they die IRL. I was axing more the art being kind of like Valkyria Chronicles but alas not quite. Still strong 8/10 to start from me.

BTW The End pic in the spoiler
is a right click to save NOW! The art is amazing to say the least. Jaw is dropped.
Yumekichi11Jul 7, 2012 9:16 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 7, 2012 8:30 AM

Jan 2009
Feels so bad not being able to watch this one live ._.
Damn Tokyo MX, it should be public property.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 7, 2012 8:34 AM

Jul 2010
lol at the scene where the girl is revealed to be a guy. Well, this should be interesting.
Jul 7, 2012 8:34 AM

Apr 2010
Oosran said:

I know the feel, I don't even know if I"ll be able to watch it before I have to go. ;_;
Jul 7, 2012 8:35 AM

Aug 2009
Well, I don't wanna be that guy, but after what they did to accel world, I'm not really all that excited for this adaptation.
no
Jul 7, 2012 8:43 AM

Mar 2011
quite a nice episode >.<b

Jul 7, 2012 8:54 AM
Jan 2012
F*CK YEAH. My expectations were revived at the very last moment: "Beater" as the next episode name. Looks like this is going to be epic.
Jul 7, 2012 8:56 AM
Apr 2012
Nice. the subs are out... that was fast
Jul 7, 2012 9:01 AM

Aug 2010
tzukimata said:

That's because CR is showing it.

It was okay. The creator of this game is kind of a dick.
Jul 7, 2012 9:02 AM
Feb 2012
nice episode... cant believe its already 72 on top anime list
Jul 7, 2012 9:06 AM

May 2012
SUCH an amazing episode o_O

That scientist is a nut....
Jul 7, 2012 9:12 AM

Jan 2009
Ah, finally got to watch it.
And it's more or less just how I expected it to be. Fantastic.
I'm going to love this show.
Also, OP's great.

Thinking they might go a bit too far by the next episode, but the pacing in this episode was great.

Edit: On another note, I just realized something.
Sword Art Online ruined my gaming life. It's more or less impossible to enjoy even the greatest of games when it's nowhere near the experience you'd get by playing SAO.
I so want a game like that. If only I was born in the early 21st century instead of the late 20th century. Oh well, just another 10 years to go!
OosranJul 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 7, 2012 9:16 AM

Sep 2011
omg i like it :| no srsly i wanna play it :| <333 i know it's novel but i wanna know if there's ps3 or xbox ver of this game cuz it seems soooo addicting *__*

back to the actual episode lol i didn't expect much of this anime or the whole season tbh but it's actually so good!

5\5
Jul 7, 2012 9:17 AM

Jul 2011
Ugh hopefully it doesn't suck.

Watched it, ridiculously faithful. I have high hopes for this; check the entry for more information, but it really should be great. As long as shit is adapted the way it was presented, faithfully and well, it'll be a great watch.

mdzJul 8, 2012 1:50 AM
Jul 7, 2012 9:18 AM

May 2010
wow i loved the twist. and anime about mmo? thats liek made for me! very hyped for this one
Jul 7, 2012 9:21 AM

Dec 2009
Great stuff for an intro. Can't wait for the feeling of isolation and despair.

Or PLEASE DO THE SIDE STORIES!
Jul 7, 2012 9:24 AM

Oct 2010
Oosran said:
I know but do know I got myself lots of troubles to get Japanese friends on average so it's a bliss to get back in contact with one of them in Japan. I did not even know he was anime person. He is saying quite a lot excitement in Japan over this. Especially the concept that GAMES KILL and to think twice before you forget IRL shit and die of it such as bathroom or eating.

This anime might instate paranoia or make some people stop playing games but that's of course a minority, however I get the impression it might create some paranoia about VR games maybe.
prismheart said:
tzukimata said:

That's because CR is showing it.

It was okay. The creator of this game is kind of a dick.
OH YEAH! My life for this shit? PLEASE! Never! I would certainly not like to be killed and find out I am dead IRL. So mindfuck it's amazing.
Oosran said:
A, finally got to watch it.
Also, OP's great.

Though I can't say I expected them to go that far by the next episode.
OH OOSRAN????? I hear you! Glad you approve of this setting and art.

Now a word from you, how do you think the voices and pacing is so far?

BTW I wonder who gave it 1/5. Certainly this does not deserve that rating.

Jul 7, 2012 9:25 AM
Oct 2010
started off pretty strong. was rahter tense and dark i found it. obviously wont see them climb 100 floors in 12 eps ( i assume, hope for more)
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jan 2012
Was everything I could've asked for! Can't wait for the next episode! Someone lend me a time machine?

Jul 2011
oh wow, that was awesome. i felt pretty thrilled while watching it. pretty amazing start. loved it! 5/5
Jul 7, 2012 9:26 AM

Mar 2010
God this was just epic. The atmosphere and art was so delicious! Seems like this will be a very good show, if this keeps up, can't wait for some action and stuff!
Jul 7, 2012 9:28 AM
Oct 2009
KingCez said:
started off pretty strong. was rahter tense and dark i found it. obviously wont see them climb 100 floors in 12 eps ( i assume, hope for more)

It's a two cour anime so at least 24 episodes.
Jul 7, 2012 9:33 AM

Jan 2012
I am already in love with this series. The art and setting was beautiful. Man I wish it was next week already.
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Jul 7, 2012 9:34 AM

Apr 2012
That was pretty fucking amazing. The level of drama felt just right, I was a little afraid it was gonna be way overdone.
Jul 7, 2012 9:35 AM

Jan 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
Oosran said:
Also, OP's great.

Lately, I've been listening in on Sword Art On-Air (the online radio show with Tomatsu Haruka and Matsuoka Yoshitsugu, the two main characters' voice actors), so I've quite gotten used to those two, and I think they can both do a pretty good job for their characters in SAO.
As for the other VAs, I haven't really heard much from them, except for the "bigger" ones. Thinking Hidaka Rina for Silica is a pretty good choice, and Takagaki Ayahi for Liz is also a pretty good choice.
I think Itou Kanae and Hayami Saori will do their characters good enough.
As for the rest, only time will tell.

Oh and, about the pacing, first episode covered just as much as I thought it would, which is good. Next episode might cover a bit too much though, according to the preview. Depending on how they go about it, that is.
Jul 7, 2012 9:35 AM

Nov 2011

Well, well, this highly anticipated and overrated series is here. I guess it does live up to the hype and what not. Two of the main characters are introduced in this episode revolving around the world of SAO. A certain someone decides to put the players to test in the world and have them "complete" the game to ensure their lives will be spared.

So, far I liked this episode tbh. It has glorious animation, soundtrack courtesy of Yuki Kajiura, and an interesting concept. Asuna (the main heroine) of the series does not make an appearance in this episode so that was sort of a disappointment. But regardless, this series does live up to the hype imo and should be a good watch for this summer.
Stark700Jul 7, 2012 10:20 AM
Jul 7, 2012 9:39 AM

Aug 2011
The episode was fantastic, more than i had expected. Great Visuals, Animation, Voice Actors and Music.
Characters are really good, too, Kazuto who analizeshow to survive and Klein/Cline who wants to help his friends.
The way they "showed" the deaths of the players was imo well done, especially the name which is below Kazuto´s gets crossed-out gave me some wierd feelings.

Possibly the show of the season for me if it maintains this quality.
Also i can´t wait to see Asuna.

5/5
Jul 7, 2012 9:40 AM

Oct 2010
Oosran said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Oosran said:
Also, OP's great.

Lately, I've been listening in on Sword Art On-Air (the online radio show with Tomatsu Haruka and Matsuoka Yoshitsugu, the two main characters' voice actors), so I've quite gotten used to those two, and I think they can both do a pretty good job for their characters in SAO.
As for the other VAs, I haven't really heard much from them, except for the "bigger" ones. Thinking Hidaka Rina for Silica is a pretty good choice, and Takagaki Ayahi for Liz is also a pretty good choice.
I think Itou Kanae and Hayami Saori will do their characters good enough.
As for the rest, only time will tell.

Oh and, about the pacing, first episode covered just as much as I thought it would, which is good. Next episode might cover a bit too much though, according to the preview. Depending on how they go about it, that is.
I see and I agree with you fully.

Now about the next episode and future one, think you can give this community along with some other buddies the lowdown on the LN and parts skipped. The community did a splendid job might I add on Fate Zero.

So I am thinking they will in this series. Now is there any info we should have gotten that was not present in this episode? That's what I am more eager to find out. Time is short on me so I don't think I can read LN, I however would not mind reading short passages here from what was missed out.

I am very aware that time constraints are always A BITCH in animes so I assume skipped stuff to occur.

Jul 7, 2012 9:51 AM

Aug 2009
Anyone noticed how they re-characterized Kirito? In the LN he just went along with the flow, where in this he screams "Im going to survive!". I think, coupled with the fact they didn't mention that one person beating the game saves them all, do you thin they might be going with a individualistic thing or whatnot?

Also, I always wondered from when I read the LN, why don't they just arrest the creator? I mean, everyone knows who he is, its 2022 so forensic technology is pretty far ahead, so they could just force him to free everyone. I'm sure 10000 hostages is reason enough right?
no
Jul 7, 2012 9:51 AM

Mar 2008
Wow, probably the best first episode I've seen for this summer - I can already tell I'm going to love this (as a huge mmorpg-fan xD).
I preferred Kirito's other look, but I think I'll get used to it fast.
Yuki Kajiura does a great job with the music (as expected) and the director seems to know what he's doing, too.
Jul 7, 2012 9:53 AM

Oct 2009
So far so good. The first episode was very well done and followed the LN very closely, in fact I think the entire first chapter was completely animated without skipping anything. If this was to follow the LN exactly then next episode would start at 2 years later and we would about 6-7 episodes until the end of the volume.

But something tells me that it'll go in chronological order with all the SS and the main story.

After seeing the beginning of the episode and knowing that Lyfa is cast, I'm definitely convinced that they'll be stretching this series out so that it'll be only the SS and Volume 1.

That doesn't sit well with me, but I'm hoping my bad feeling is wrong.

Rabadash said:
Anyone noticed how they re-characterized Kirito? In the LN he just went along with the flow, where in this he screams "Im going to survive!". I think, coupled with the fact they didn't mention that one person beating the game saves them all, do you thin they might be going with a individualistic thing or whatnot?

Also, I always wondered from when I read the LN, why don't they just arrest the creator? I mean, everyone knows who he is, its 2022 so forensic technology is pretty far ahead, so they could just force him to free everyone. I'm sure 10000 hostages is reason enough right?

In the Novels they mentioned briefly at the end of Volume four that the reason he wasn't arrested was because
Firestalker5Jul 7, 2012 9:57 AM
Jul 7, 2012 9:54 AM

Feb 2009
Yes, everything more or less that I expected was here. The atmosphere, the music, the acting. Very very nice. And the OP is amazing as well. So far it covered more or less what I expected of the first episode.
Though next episode will likely be the start of the Aria SS. I wanted to see the First Day SS animated though but oh well No Coper then.
Really hope they don't rush it. I wanna see Argo D:
Jul 7, 2012 9:54 AM

Jan 2009
Rabadash said:
Wasn't that because he went into hiding in some cottage somewhere or something like that?
Jul 7, 2012 9:58 AM

Aug 2009
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:
Wasn't that because he went into hiding in some cottage somewhere or something like that?

That's why I said that its 2022, you'd think that they would be able to find him. The satellites we have now can find people based on their faces in some cave in the middle of nowhere, so why is it so hard to find a celebrity?
no
Jul 7, 2012 10:00 AM

Oct 2009
Rabadash said:
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:

That's why I said that its 2022, you'd think that they would be able to find him. The satellites we have now can find people based on their faces in some cave in the middle of nowhere, so why is it so hard to find a celebrity?

In the Novels they mentioned briefly at the end of Volume four that the reason he wasn't arrested was because
Jul 7, 2012 10:01 AM

Oct 2010
wow could be one of the best anime in a while. Hope it actually is as good as i think it will be
Jul 7, 2012 10:02 AM

Nov 2007
Interesting. There's a problem, which cannot log out.

Master of the game called every gamers to say about log out thing, which related to the incident. To get out from the game, they need to clear all the levels of the game. Then they got into the form from their real life. So this begins the real SAO.

So the game owner was created by the scientist who wants to prove that game is not for fun.

The "friend" separated, and the main guy goes alone. He's strong and wants to survive in this world.

OP (ED for ep.1 is awesome).

Wow, lots of gamers got killed at the beginning of game.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 7, 2012 10:04 AM

Feb 2009
Rabadash said:
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:

Someone who created the Nerve Gear and a VR game that completely revolutionized the gaming and computer industry in 2022. He planned all of this to create the world of Aincrad, down to the very last detail. Surely he has countermeasures against those tricks so that he can continue this game.
Jul 7, 2012 10:07 AM
May 2012
I'm confused, can someone explain how can they continue playing without food/water and sleep(considering that things continue how they are going)?

Is it now what you eat and drink in game affects you in real life?
Jul 7, 2012 10:10 AM

Oct 2009
Jordan_ said:
I'm confused, can someone explain how can they continue playing without food/water and sleep(considering that things continue how they are going)?

It's only the first episode, they explain things a little more as the story goes on, but basically they all get transferred to the hospital and they are given nutrients through an IV. The food in game can take care of the FEELING of hunger but the IV gives them the nutrients they need.

They are also give tubes for their waste, but other that they are pretty much at the mercy of the game.

They can sleep in game and feel rested for the most part... and they can even bathe, though it's nothing like a real bath.
Jul 7, 2012 10:13 AM

Feb 2009
Jordan_ said:

Well they left out that detail in this episode and I'm sure next episode will fill that up but basically, Kayaba had given the world two hours to have the players transported to a hospital so that they can be monitored. They will be forced-fed the nutritions they will need to live. The players though in the game will feel some virtual hunger so they need to eat virtual food there. That's why Kirito said that Klein's hunger will only disappear in the game.
For sleep, they can sleep in-game.
Jul 7, 2012 10:16 AM

May 2010
This is even better than accel world.I am totally up for it.
Jul 7, 2012 10:16 AM

Aug 2009
belatkuro said:
Rabadash said:
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:

Someone who created the Nerve Gear and a VR game that completely revolutionized the gaming and computer industry in 2022. He planned all of this to create the world of Aincrad, down to the very last detail. Surely he has countermeasures against those tricks so that he can continue this game.

He has scientific countermeasures, what he doesnt have is legal countermeasures. No matter the ability of a single individual, theres no possible way he could he able to just flee into the japanese wilderness without
1: His company knowing where he is
2: His family
3: Real estate agents if he bought a cottage
4: The government if he left the country

All would leave a paper trail. And even if he had assistants helping him, there are 10000 lives at stake, if they found 1 person who knew where he might be, he would certainly be interrogated or even tortured.

He says in the LN they must be eating through a tube in real life, although this is bullocks, because they cannot leave their computers. Theres no way they wheeled in 10000 machines into private households.
SenzuraJul 7, 2012 10:19 AM
no
Jul 7, 2012 10:17 AM

Oct 2008
Pretty good first episode, I hope it lives to my expectations.

Btw, that's hardcore gaming :P
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore?

Hango-Man - Yesterday

17 by Eckl3 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Yesterday, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Yesterday, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Apr 26, 7:25 PM

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
Apr 26, 4:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.