Forum Settings
Forums

So you accidentally see a spoiler (Warning: Numerous untagged spoilers for anime, film, and other media)

New
May 29, 2012 2:57 AM

Nov 2011
How do you make yourself forget it?

Mod Edit: Spoiler warning added to title. This thread is full of spoilers, you have been warned!
rodacJul 28, 2015 10:11 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 29, 2012 3:15 AM

Nov 2011
I can't. . . Even if I do it's only temporary, when I go and decide one day to watch an anime and it's the one that I read a spoiler for it immediately pops into my head again.

IT'S A CURSE I SAY!
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 29, 2012 3:21 AM

Jun 2011

Curiosity killed the cat.
It never leaves. The thought never leaves.
May 29, 2012 3:37 AM

Apr 2011
just cry yourself to sleep ..... i just avoid youtube all together prevention is the best method
May 29, 2012 3:48 AM
Jul 2018
Snape kills Dumbledore.

On a serious note, you can't really forget spoilers. You can try to bury them somewhere in your mind, but they come back to you once you start watching whatever it is that was spoilt for you.
May 29, 2012 3:52 AM

Jan 2011
Romeo and Juliet die.

Long periods of non-exposure should make you forget spoilers. Don't associate yourself with relevant things, or even think about that story. Just wait until you forget it. Unless you have eidetic memory, it should not take too long.

Alternatively, just enjoy the anime(I'm assuming, or whatever story) with the 'spoiler.' Some stories are meant that way, such as Romeo and Juliet, and it just might enhance your enjoyment. If it's a mystery, think about the mystery and how it ties in. If you know the answer, think about whether the mystery is solvable and what clues you might have missed. A perspective is totally changed if the answer is known, but honestly it usually isn't a good story if it requires the watcher not to know the 'truth.'

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
May 29, 2012 3:56 AM

Apr 2010
Sleep for 18 hours so your dreams seem like reality and reality seems like dreams.
May 29, 2012 4:02 AM

May 2010
I don't forget, and neither does the person who let the information slip...

Until I kill them.
May 29, 2012 4:07 AM

Jul 2010
I can't. I tried with Angel Beats (stopped watching at episode 10 last year due to spoilers). I went to continue the series few weeks ago and guess what, every spoiler associated with the series came flooding back to me.

May 29, 2012 4:09 AM

Jun 2008
What the fug is with the intentional spoilers in this thread?

>>;;
May 29, 2012 4:26 AM

Jan 2012
Unless it's a name I've heard before or the show is wellknown, I can usually forget it pretty quickly. In some cases however, it has been pretty much impossible and I keeps remembering it every time I hear of the show even though I haven't even watched it.

The worst ones were probably
in both Cowboy Bebop and Katanagatari. Man, that haunted me to no end.

In any case, Snape kills Dumbledore!
GuZSep 17, 2012 11:35 AM
May 29, 2012 5:04 AM

Mar 2012
I was actually planning on make a similar thread to this but a bit differently, you see I have this bad habit of sometimes purposely reading spoilers about a series I'm watching, and it's happens quite often with me.

You see I don't think it actually ruins my experience that much, I prefer it most often since I have something to look forward too etc.

My sister is similar to me as well (and so is my mom although that isn't about anime, more about things like TV Soaps and such) so maybe it's just a thing in my family.

But I always wondered if there were any others like that.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 29, 2012 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
^That happens to me too sometimes. For instance I've begun reading the 'The Old Republic' era Star Wars comics after I read up a little about the Expanded Universe on the internet. Sith lore is fascinating.
May 29, 2012 5:35 AM

Aug 2009
You could try cerebral anoxia for several minutes. If you're lucky enough, that may result with lacunar amnesia; if you're not it may result in death or severe brain damage.

Or you could just try to enjoy the anime in spite of the spoiler.

NicoleB said:
I was actually planning on make a similar thread to this but a bit differently, you see I have this bad habit of sometimes purposely reading spoilers about a series I'm watching, and it's happens quite often with me.

You see I don't think it actually ruins my experience that much, I prefer it most often since I have something to look forward too etc.

I sometimes do that, deliberately looking for spoilers.
In most cases I don't mind spoilers, at least as long as they are not completely detailed. My sister, on the other hand, hates them with passion.
metamorphiusMay 29, 2012 5:39 AM
May 29, 2012 5:50 AM
May 2009
Makes no differences, I knew Something happens in one piece, before it was animated, and when I watched it, I didn't feel like it spoiled it.
May 29, 2012 7:52 AM

Jul 2010
i don't forget it, and proceed to go do something else. >.>

May 29, 2012 7:54 AM

Feb 2012
Can't forget it, unless I barely even saw it. If I don't give myself time to comprehend what I just read, then I can normally forget in a week or two. Most of the time, I manage to avoid spoilers, but if I start to think about it too much, I'll never forget it. I haven't actually had any major things spoiled for me yet. Except Clannad a little bit. But I forgot about it, and the event to which I am referring to still shocked me completely. So overall, it was still a good day.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
May 29, 2012 7:56 AM

May 2012
I don't forget it, but like it's been mentioned before, spoilers don't necessarily ruin the show/book/etc.

I knew the entire ending to Death Note, all of the characters and their roles, who died and who didn't... before I watched it. Yet, when I watched it, I still loved it and was never bored by it? So, yeah, spoilers don't always have to be a killjoy. :I
May 29, 2012 8:05 AM

Dec 2010
Fakku. Lots and lots of Fakku.
May 29, 2012 8:07 AM

Feb 2012
When i watched Clannad After Story... Some smartass decided to spoil the whole story in the comments of one of the early episodes. Now i usually avoid comments.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2012 8:07 AM

Nov 2011
Spoilers are the worse and usually impossible to forget -.-
May 29, 2012 8:18 AM

Feb 2012
I guess I'm in the minority, because I can forget about one third of the spoilers I see or hear. If you try to forget a spoiler, you'll just ingrain it deeper into your conscious mind, so the key is to pretend that what you saw or heard wasn't even a spoiler or a "big deal."

Then just go about your day normally, as though nothing significant happened. If you're lucky, you can even watch an episode of the spoiled series immediately afterward, which will actually help clear the spoiler from your mind if the object of the spoiler doesn't appear in that episode (e.g. you read that Character X dies, then watch a new episode in which Character X doesn't happen to appear, which will help your conscious mind focus on the non-Character X aspects of the series).
May 29, 2012 8:52 AM
Aug 2011
I actually do forget spoilers sometimes. Before I started a few series' I read a few reviews/discussions of them that usually contained spoilers. But when I started watching it I completely forgot.

One Piece for example
May 29, 2012 8:55 AM

Aug 2007
Doing another thing: read, play with my dog or play games in my computer.
May 29, 2012 9:01 AM

Jan 2011
I don't try to forget spoilers.
But for me, it brings up several questions that I'm interested to find out about still.

Say for instance I see that someone has died in a series I like. Sure i'll be like "Jeez! Spoilers! Why would you say that!!"
But at the same time I'll be curious of how they died or what lead up to that point. So there is still more to find out! Rather than just rage at my computer and stop watching or reading, I'll have more questions buzzing around in my head waiting to be answered.
May 29, 2012 9:37 AM

Apr 2011
You don't usually forget spoilers, as it can make you mad.
May 29, 2012 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
I can't forget them,watched HP almost 7 months after Annoying Orange made that parody,and didn't forget it D:
KvakondMay 30, 2012 9:21 AM
May 29, 2012 9:48 AM

Aug 2009
KuroiRider said:
How do you make yourself forget it?

I put off watching that anime for awhile.After watching 3 or 4 other anime I will general forget about the spoilers.
May 29, 2012 9:54 AM

Sep 2010
The only time I can forget spoilers is if it's from a show I don't watch. When I think it is an important spoiler I take a break from the anime in order to let the spoil-rage pass and then try to watch the spoiled part as quickly as possible so that I have something new, unspoiled to look forward to.

May 29, 2012 10:05 AM

Sep 2011
if its a serious spoiler then you are SOL.

its like when people see a dont push button.. they gotta push it because they dont have enough self control. its very tempting.

NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
May 29, 2012 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
I have to read spoilers before I start a show. While I am watching the show I have a list of all the episodes up on my Kindle so I know for the most part whats going to happen. If I don't I can't focus on the show itself.
May 29, 2012 10:40 AM

May 2012
Blunt force trauma on yourself might help. Well there are probably better ways to forget spoilers as well.
May 29, 2012 10:52 AM

Dec 2011
I never really did mind spoilers. It actually gets my imagination running wild and expecting great things. At times what I imagine is a bit over the top so it makes the impact of the original much less, but I still don't get bothered by it.

I guess I'm in the minority in this case. I have even read ahead in some cases just to know what happens, and to see if it gets more interesting or just gets dull or stays dull. I think it helps me figure out whether I should spend my time on the particular story or not.
May 29, 2012 10:54 AM
Jul 2018
It would be so awesome if you could get parts of your memory erased (like in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) to forget spoilers.
May 29, 2012 10:58 AM

Oct 2011
PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD T.T
I see dead people.
May 29, 2012 11:36 AM

Aug 2009
If I read it once, I just avoid thinking about it, listen to music, watch a movie, sleep, or so on. It's a lot easier to forget spoilers if you've just started the series, I think, if the spoiler involves names. It takes me a while to remember names, so it works for me.

I'm a forgetful person in general, so I'm not TOO bad with spoilers. But I really do hate them. This doesn't really have much to do with the topic, but it reminded me of this. A couple of years ago when we were reading To Kill a Mockingbird in class, my teacher failed someone on the entire book because he was going around telling everyone how it ended. She was my all time favorite teacher.
May 29, 2012 11:51 AM

Nov 2007
Ryatt said:
I never really did mind spoilers. It actually gets my imagination running wild and expecting great things. At times what I imagine is a bit over the top so it makes the impact of the original much less, but I still don't get bothered by it.

I guess I'm in the minority in this case. I have even read ahead in some cases just to know what happens, and to see if it gets more interesting or just gets dull or stays dull. I think it helps me figure out whether I should spend my time on the particular story or not.
There is a study that suggests that spoilers are not as bad as they seem in terms of "ruining" the experience. For some, spoilers might even enhance the experience. They couldn't really give a "why" explanation for their results though so it should be taken with a grain of salt.
May 29, 2012 12:02 PM

Dec 2011
Xjellocross said:
There is a study that suggests that spoilers are not as bad as they seem in terms of "ruining" the experience. For some, spoilers might even enhance the experience. They couldn't really give a "why" explanation for their results though so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'd agree though. I've never had my experience ruined by a spoiler.
May 29, 2012 12:03 PM

May 2012
Impossible for me -_-
May 29, 2012 12:12 PM

Jan 2011
Doesn't bother me at all. First because I'm not an idiot and go search for information on any show I want unspoiled and second because if I do want extra information I expect to read spoilers.
May 29, 2012 12:14 PM

Sep 2009
Self induced amnesia normally does the trick, although the side effects can be problematic sometimes. For example, I am no longer able to tie my shoelaces and my left eye droops below the other.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

May 29, 2012 12:18 PM
Feb 2012
I assassinate whoever spoiled it for me.

May 29, 2012 12:22 PM
Jan 2011
Nothing I can do about it, I would just deal with it.
May 29, 2012 1:16 PM

Jun 2008
Cannot unsee desu. D:

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
May 29, 2012 5:27 PM

Dec 2011
For spoilers I'm one of the minority where it actually get me excited if it's an anime or manga that I like or don't care if I don't like it
May 29, 2012 5:33 PM

Dec 2011
I'm normally not bothered by spoilers, and if I was, it probably meant I wasn't going to enjoy the Anime anyway. Most of the time, I appreciate the anime even more seeing how the suspense it maintained although I already know what is going to happen!
May 29, 2012 5:42 PM

Mar 2009
When someone doesn't use spoiler tags for a spoiler it really gets on my pip.

I've accidently read so many Clannad spoilers that I just don't feel like watching it.
May 29, 2012 5:45 PM

Apr 2012
You don't.
The best thing you can do is avoid any more, and if it's still worth it (IE; if someone told you the end of Deathly Hallows when you were two chapters into Philosopher's Stone, it's probably not) continue reading/watching.

Some things ruin it for you, but some spoilers only make you want to watch more.
May 29, 2012 8:31 PM

Apr 2008
At first I thought this thread said so you accidentally see a spider? lol

I don't care about spoilers, I want to know what happens in an anime that I watch. So most of the time I spoil myself by researching info about an anime.
May 30, 2012 12:19 AM

May 2012
I don't mind spoilers. Unless it's a huge spoiler, it shouldn't refrain me from watching the anime any further.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is the word 'simp' fallen out of context in 2024?

Kiryotsu - 6 hours ago

12 by Archean-Return »»
25 seconds ago

» Who has the oldest account on these forums?

blueblur - Yesterday

7 by Noboru »»
9 minutes ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - May 1

56 by Noboru »»
56 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts?

Freshell - May 5

33 by Freshell »»
3 hours ago

» can you tolerate spicy food?

removed-user - Mar 31

37 by Auron_ »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.