Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2012 10:42 AM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well the first episode was aired about half a hour ago, it was really good.
I don't like the genre of the opening and endings but they were nice, the OST was great.
The first episode was really good, hope they don't ruin anything in the future, since I really like the manga and for a good anime.
The only thing that really annoyed me is the over ecchi which was not in the manga and the hair coloring, the rest are awesome.

(excuse me for any wrong grammar, english is not simple for me)
Apr 4, 2012 11:03 AM
May 2009
Ame_Sama said:
The only thing that really annoyed me is the over ecchi [...]

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing

What did you expect? It's Gainax!
Apr 4, 2012 11:12 AM

Nov 2011
kc_alex2 said:
Ame_Sama said:

It doesn't matter, Gainax is amazing anyway.
Apr 4, 2012 11:45 AM

Jan 2009
kc_alex2 said:
Ame_Sama said:

It the first anime of Gainax which I'm watching so I didn't expect that. It's not like it very bad that I couldn't watch it, just too much and unnecessary...
Apr 4, 2012 11:53 AM

Mar 2012
Ame_Sama said:
kc_alex2 said:
Ame_Sama said:

It the first anime of Gainax which I'm watching so I didn't expect that. It's not like it very bad that I couldn't watch it, just too much and unnecessary...

all you need to remember is that this is the studio responsible for panty and stocking. that's all.
Apr 4, 2012 11:59 AM

Nov 2008
Shiranui can eat and she is quite cute.

Zenkichi is no wimp as he flat out pwned Hyuuga, and Medaka is badass as well.

Apr 4, 2012 12:33 PM

Nov 2011
Top wo Nerae, Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, Panty & Stocking, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. How awesome is Gainax?

About the episode, it's very good.
-Yumaol-Apr 4, 2012 12:40 PM
Apr 4, 2012 1:32 PM

Jul 2010
lol, the blue haired guy sounded exactly like Oga, Tatsumi from Beezlebub (probably the same VA).

Seeing pantsu shots in the OP was all I needed to know that the show will be tilted towards the ecchi side at times.
Apr 4, 2012 4:02 PM

Jul 2011
Was actually better than expected; even though Isin did write this, was still weary of it given the genre. But hey, was fairly enjoyable. Seems to be a parody in ways.
mdzApr 5, 2012 4:35 PM
Apr 4, 2012 4:39 PM

Jul 2011
Aki Toyosaki as Medaka is a giant NOPE.AVI

I liked the episode, but I guess my expectations were too high. Now I know I must not trust Gainax.
Apr 4, 2012 5:01 PM

Jun 2008
kc_alex2 said:
Ame_Sama said:

Well Medaka is half-naked quite a lot anyways in the manga. Apparently she feel no need to hide her beautiful bod because it's something amazing and should be displayed.
Apr 4, 2012 5:15 PM

Feb 2012
WTB subs!
Apr 4, 2012 5:32 PM

Oct 2010
This is a excellent that does what Seitokai no Ichizon did but in a more aggressive way and I find it more action packed. It’s also more ridiculous.

Considering Hyouga changed totally for the better.

About the beginning, I liked it that they showed Medaka’s hair flowing in the spoiler
it leaves the viewers that her hair are one of her strong features right from the start. Moreover by showing her breasts and nice face in the spoiler
I think it’s clear what her package delivers in the series rather easily. That being out of the way, was interesting to immerse the viewer from the start. The intro of the characters in the spoiler
was nice. The green haired girl caught my attention there as well as the defiance of that opposition gang.

About the OP, one thing I will quickly mention is that it features fan service in the form of Medaka having her ass exposed with panties in space and while landing in the spoiler
seems to me the obvious sign of fan service there. Other than that it has some more interesting stuff. Such as Medaka’s presentation here with the sunlight is magnificent. I liked a lot Zenkichi and Shiranui in the spoiler
the yawn and Shiranui were nice. While Mogana here looks like Haruhi if ever she would be mature. Got some vibes there. While Kouki here looks like the nice blond hunk that I have seen in some other animes. Strange enough it was that Medaka in the spoiler
was right near him hiding. I wonder why she was agitating her antenna there but I guess it will be to find out of his role in the series. Nice setup of the hands opening like a door to the school. I see it as something precious to Medaka being shown. The OP song Happy Crazy Box has been analyzed by me as people are happy or crazy from having their requests done or it’s just plain pleasurable or insane to do some of these requests. Catchy title still.

A very interesting opposition party comes indeed in the spoiler
a girl that wilds chains? WTF? Sounds cool! Another pink haired girl that has magical handcuffs? ROOOOOOFLLLLL what? Sounds amazing for comedy. On top of that the claw guy with the Hulk guy are funny already. The middle guy looks like Evil Shuu in a funkier drawn way. I like him better. The group pic looks really good in the spoiler
there is also the fact that the room being shown with lots of flowers here means loads of requests shall be done. Can’t wait to see them all. The character quick flashes in the spoiler
have many great poses with gestures such as Shiranui eating sweats, Kouki doing some cool hand gesture with Medaka, Zenkichi being all shy with Medaka and Medaka kissing possibly Mogana? Well sounds all nice. That smile of Medaka at the end was nice.

About Zenkichi and Shiranui. Both have a interesting relation from the start. Zenkichi looked death tired here while Shiranui was cute from the start. I did laugh at Zenkichi’s facial expression here when he got angry. Shiranui just got cuter here. Amazing comedy of at the same time of Zenkichi and Medaka in the spoiler
that was great duo comedy. Got to say that Hyouga and Shiranui’s part in the spoiler
was also good. Featured nice MOE there. While even after Zenkichi shit in the dojo Shiranui eating continued her MOE and I did feel sorry for Zenkichi here since he got beaten up. I noticed that despite Shiranui being cute from the looks of the quantity she ate. Zenkichi was funny when he suddenly realized something here. I got to admit I liked a lot Shiranui’s hands in the spoiler
the nails are well done. Finally I find the best of Shiranui in the spoiler
those are amazing MOE and hilarious faces.
Proves Shiranui will be a great funny character.

About Medaka Kurokami, Medaka is quite charming indeed. Apparently she also has some kind of hypnotism in the following,

Obvious nice fan service of her in underwear or is that swimsuit in the spoiler
well sure has a hot body. I like her better when she was in loli form. Other than that. I liked her depiction here. Makes her look nice. Zenkichi is a fool to shy away from her. The be ox model looks a little too plain but maybe that’s a good idea.Lovely depiction of Medaka in the spoiler
those are renders are nice! Of course Zenkichi can’t get over the fact of his shy side. Perhaps he loves Medaka? I can’t contain myself of doing the following,

My heart melts at this. Medaka when she was a kid is too much MOE! Consider her in the spoiler
when she was young as already acquainted with a kendo blade. In thee end the whole Medaka/Zenkichi relation was shown well the council room. I liked a lot Zenkichi’s reactions and the flower garden in the spoiler
they really looked good together there. Zenkichi got his nice hug from Medaka, which was nice and MOE. He also got the armband he wanted. I would be happier with the hug.

About the Medaka’s dojo clean up. Now that was crazy. First of all very nice scenery of the school here. Shows it very nicely and I liked the way the buildings are placed. Seems to be efficient. The depiction of the dojo was nice here. Good scenes. The guys sure did not look nice in the spoiler
gangster to the bone. Still Medaka looked good here. That skirt and shirt. I had to ROLF really hard at the spoiler
guy challenges here only to have his kendo blade swiped faster than realizing “What? What?” Yeah that’s what it looked like. It was ridiculous among many things that Medaka can run this fast and she even grabbed all the smokes of that gangster cause she thinks it’s bad for you? Pffff, they can still buy some more but if it makes then quit so be it. It’s even more amazing how she traced the lines of separating herself into clones to grab the smokes and the reactions of gangsters were priceless here. As if I though things would not go wild here we go in the spoiler
Medaka becoming Super Saiyan OVER 9000 blow off only to fly into space and become some super Giant that can hold the planet (Parody of GOD most likely) and speak to the gangsters.

Now that sounds ridiculous so does Zenkichi think here. Medaka was still nice with her fan pose. In thee end Madoka did amazingly well in the spoiler
she not only cleanup the dojo from the garbage it had but also made the gangsters into students practicing Kendo.
Now that is amazing. Liked her pointing out here and the way Zenkichi saw her here but the best is still a younger version of Medaka in the spoiler
that version is nice.

About the real request, now the real deal I was surprised TBH. Now I did not expect that Hyouga would hit Zenkichi here but Hyouga is more insane in the brain than I though according to the spoiler
he beat the crap out of the gangsters in kendo. That makes him strong with no doubts. Medaka’s flashback here was nice. Despite that crazy Hyouga one of the gangster would have none of it. Hyouga’s freaky face still were creepy here. As a result Zenkichi came in time and FALCON PUNCHED Hyouga in the spoiler
now that was good revenge. Well done due to him conveying his feelings for Medaka’s justice. It was nostalgic really. Featured the past too. In thee end
Medaka catches Hyouga plotting against Zenkichi. That same gesture as Hyouga does was hilarious. I liked her fan pose here. Seems to be a good fad with her and I admit fans do go well with Medaka. So the real deal is that Shiranui is fed up with Hyouga’s personality and wants him to change. And so Hyouga gets hypnotized somehow by Medaka’s charms here. Hyouga thus changes for the best in the spoiler
he makes the kendo possible again and trains the gangster well along with having been charmed by Medaka’s beauty. Now each time a request is done it gets a flower here and it looks like Zenkichi likes that here.

About the preview, some problems with gym shoes? Certainly will be fun to see the girl’s reaction to Medaka here. Looks like here goes the dog search? It looks like a dog search from the looks of it here. Shiranui looks MOE in a hard hat. Poor Zenkichi again, beaten up. Can’t wait to see Medaka MOE in the spoiler
since that looks like a cat suit. Well I am down for this series and maybe for the manga too.

BTW Image Stitches are done in the spoiler
let’s leave it at Medaka super hot ones. Damn sexy.

Intermission in the spoiler
is nice of Medaka.
Yumekichi11Apr 4, 2012 7:50 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 4, 2012 5:39 PM

Nov 2011
KokoP said:

I liked the episode, but I guess my expectations were too high. Now I know I must not trust Gainax.

For adaptations only. All original animes made by Gainax are epic.
Apr 4, 2012 6:07 PM

Oct 2010
-Yumaol- said:
KokoP said:

For adaptations only. All original animes made by Gainax are epic.
Well the thing is I checked the manga version and the anime follows it really good + they exaggerate stuff. But I think it makes the series better IMO.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 4, 2012 10:02 PM

Sep 2008
haha, everyone commenting about medaka´s panties, dont worry this anime should became over the top badass in a couple of chapters XD
i liked medaka´s box is close to what i imagined =)
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Apr 4, 2012 10:05 PM

May 2010
And with this, Medaka is a Gainax girl

hopefully the show gets an insane fucking ending like the other Gainax productions
Apr 4, 2012 10:22 PM

Dec 2008
As a manga reader, I say that the first episode was almost exactly like reading the first chapter animated, except for most of the dialogue and a few scenes being cut out for obvious reasons, and well... the whole Medaka god kendo hall exploding scene was added lol.

And people shouldn't complain about the fanservice in a GAINAX anime, either way, it's only Medaka who gets this treatment anyway, and I don't it's that hard to look past them is it O.o

Slurpentine said:
And with this, Medaka is a Gainax girl

hopefully the show gets an insane fucking ending like the other Gainax productions

And oh, if the anime actually goes for 45 episodes, no doubt we will get a fucking awesome ending if they plan it out how I hope they would.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Apr 5, 2012 12:38 AM

Sep 2008
one of my favorite manga....now gainaxed.
Apr 5, 2012 1:30 AM

Feb 2010
good start 1st ep followed the manga almost 1:1.
Apr 5, 2012 1:45 AM

Jun 2011
Strangely if this only turned into a long running series i would enjoy and look forward to it every week. I held out reading the manga because I knew that an anime version would be released. I hope that it would continue and be alot interesting in the future.

ps i need something to replace bleach :(
(i guess now would be a good time to pick up one piece once again)
Apr 5, 2012 2:08 AM

Feb 2012
Delicious Medaka finally animated.
Apr 5, 2012 2:56 AM

Oct 2009
I never really liked the art, but since it's NisiOisiN, off course I'm in. I read parts of the manga a while back, expecting great stuff.

Fucking Gainax, either they do it right (i.e Eva, Panty and Stocking) or they do it bad (TTGL, FLCL, pretty much everything else).
YanofliesApr 5, 2012 3:00 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2012 3:05 AM

Aug 2009
It was a good adaptation of the first chapter. And... Shiranui's voice is godly. Thank you, Emiri Katou.
Apr 5, 2012 3:29 AM

Sep 2011
Good way to start the anime,seeing Medaka animated makes me smile.

They change almost nothing only the explosion scene and Madoka fanservice but was ok!

Things just getting started....cant wait for more!!
Apr 5, 2012 3:30 AM

Oct 2008
Normally constant Gainaxing bothers me.. but.. Medaka is hot. And her voice is great too, sorry for doubting you, Aki.
the Imaginary and the Real can never mingle.
Apr 5, 2012 3:38 AM

May 2011
On the contrary, I think Aki Toyosaki on Medaka just sucks. That soft voice she use normally doesn't fit Medaka and her male way of talking at all. I hate her on Medaka.. I want Megumi Toyoguchi back T_T

The episode was not bad, and Yuuko Ono on Zenkichi is just perfect. Just at the end, Zenkichi wasn't enough embarassed, I prefere the manga version of that scene better XD
Misae-chanApr 6, 2012 3:20 AM
Apr 5, 2012 3:44 AM

Jun 2010
KokoP said:

Sucks. Manga was way better. My expectations were too high too. Gainax wtf ._." Why the fuck did they made Medaka Box look like a Romance Comedy Ecchi Anime, I mean, I know's it's in the genre but Medaka Box is more on pure action. Damn it. So disappointed.

Edit: At least I like the ending song.
-MgZ_Apr 5, 2012 3:54 AM
Apr 5, 2012 3:58 AM

Jan 2010
liked the episode, and I don't care much about the ecchi as long as they keep it to a minimum, and max out the action xD.
Apr 5, 2012 3:59 AM

Oct 2011
not to bad - definitely had some good laughs...
Apr 5, 2012 4:00 AM

Jan 2010
Throw me in the camp that loves Aki Toyosaki as Medaka. She proves time and time again to be quite talented.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Apr 5, 2012 4:08 AM
Sep 2011
Even though none of Gainax top staff members are working on this, the characteristic trademarks of this studio are showing through shown by the amount of creativity regarding its visuals.

Medaka is an intriguing character, there is something off about her perfection and I have no doubt that there is more behind the shiny facade than we've got to see until now. The fanservice doesn't bother me as it serves to highlight not only her inner beauty but also the physical appeal of her which is a feature of her that is not to be underestimated.

Her relationship with Zenkichi is interesting as well due to them being charismatic indivuduals on their own.
Apr 5, 2012 4:23 AM

Jun 2008
-MgZ_ said:
KokoP said:

Sucks. Manga was way better. My expectations were too high too. Gainax wtf ._." Why the fuck did they made Medaka Box look like a Romance Comedy Ecchi Anime, I mean, I know's it's in the genre but Medaka Box is more on pure action. Damn it. So disappointed.
Seriously, it's the first episode, man. And for like the first something odd chapters Medaka Box without the flask plan did not look like a shounen action series at all. There was hints of romance everywhere. Then near the end he returns to that "shitty romcom" aspect, which was kind of hilarious for breaking the 4th wall and lame since it actually did become a "shitty romance comedy".

And I don't even know why you're comparing the first episode to the entire manga. Or are you just saying the first few chapters was way more better than the anime? Well, I'll see this soon, but I just don't see the difference that exaggerated. Gainax and this show goes pretty well together with all the crazy shit that will happen, so...
Apr 5, 2012 4:39 AM

Dec 2008
Tachii said:
-MgZ_ said:
KokoP said:

Seriously, it's the first episode, man. And for like the first something odd chapters Medaka Box without the flask plan did not look like a shounen action series at all. There was hints of romance everywhere. Then near the end he returns to that "shitty romcom" aspect, which was kind of hilarious for breaking the 4th wall and lame since it actually did become a "shitty romance comedy".

And I don't even know why you're comparing the first episode to the entire manga. Or are you just saying the first few chapters was way more better than the anime? Well, I'll see this soon, but I just don't see the difference that exaggerated. Gainax and this show goes pretty well together with all the crazy shit that will happen, so...

I don't know why the hell you're complaining as the first episode was almost an exact copy of the first chapter of the manga, except for scenes cut out for obvious time reasons. If it looks like a romance comedy ecchi anime, then that means that the first chapter of the manga was, though I fail to see where the ecchi is as all we had was Medaka in her lingerie, which is more a show of her shameless character than anything, and it WAS in the manga.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Apr 5, 2012 4:40 AM

Jan 2008
FUCK YEAH!

I love how talkative Medaka is because it means I get to hear a LOT of Aki Toyosaki.

And dear fucking god she has ridiculous range and I love her so much for it. This is way different from the other roles I've heard her in besides maybe transformed Inga from UN-GO.

And I also get a metric ton of dat delicious Katou Emiri from Shiranui, who I just want to pick up and protect from everything in the world.

I don't even care what happens in this anime as long as I can continue to hear Medaka and Shiranui speak.
Apr 5, 2012 4:45 AM

Aug 2010
Medaka and Zenkichi are both cool characters. I'm going to enjoy this show.
Apr 5, 2012 4:52 AM

May 2011
It was a nice start, and Aki-chan did well voicing Medaka here.

Let's see how it goes.
Apr 5, 2012 5:17 AM

Jan 2009
Totentanz said:
Even though none of Gainax top staff members are working on this, the characteristic trademarks of this studio are showing through shown by the amount of creativity regarding its visuals.

really? can you give me some source info on what your saying, i thought a lot of top animators on Gainax is involved in this because its screaming Gainax sketchy and frantic animation

and lol did i just see Kamina as a weak kendo character on this?
Apr 5, 2012 5:19 AM

Mar 2011
At the beginning i felt bored, but in the end i was satisfied. Good episode overall
Firixizu_MintApr 5, 2012 5:22 AM
Apr 5, 2012 5:48 AM

Apr 2010
I had very low expectations, but this is great.
Apr 5, 2012 6:09 AM

Feb 2012
Pretty well done adaptation, they added a bit which actually shows more of Medaka's ridiculous character, good job.

For people complaining about ecchi stuff, it's the same as in the manga, the only difference, her boobs are now in motion because it's a fucking anime.

For people unfamiliar with the manga, remember well what they say, it will be important later because they talk very much in Medaka Box and reasoning is not easy to follow. When the flask plan starts, you should really pay attention to that stuff. Btw, do we know if this will be a long running anime, I would really like to see the flask plan in it?

And another note, people reading the manga say Medaka Box is from the beginning a parody on manga which I disagree with. It trolls later, yeah but it doesn't start like that so don't be that surprised later if this anime goes on for dozens of episodes. Medaka Box is really not what you would expect and that's it what makes it unique.
Apr 5, 2012 6:15 AM

Jun 2010
Tachii said:
-MgZ_ said:

Im exaggerating because they are changing the style of the work. Look at the atmosphere. They are adding that goofy soundtrack in the background. They are forcing the comedy all way in. What's with "bah" "bah" Zenkichi is saying? Is it in the Manga? Well I'll be glad if they just follow that Manga EXACTLY. But they didn't. The Opening has Rom-Com slice of life feel in it. They are adding too many comedy scenes that is not in the manga which is not even funny.

See this

See the difference between the atmosphere?

If I didn't read the Manga and I watched this Anime for the first time, I'll drop it. But Im going to continue it to see if it will improve.

Btw I agree that the latest arc is shitty, they broke the 4th wall and I don't even understand what's happening. Well, aside that arc the rest of the contents are great so I was really looking forward to it become Animated. I was just expecting too much and that's why Im disappointed.
Apr 5, 2012 6:18 AM
Sep 2011
j0x said:
Totentanz said:

really? can you give me some source info on what your saying, i thought a lot of top animators on Gainax is involved in this because its screaming Gainax sketchy and frantic animation

My statement is mostly founded on the fact that in the last few years several original staff members left the company e.g.Hiroyuki Imaishi and Hideaki Anno and that the director responsible for Medaka Box had a rather underwhelming record so far with works like "He is My Master" and "This Ugly Yet Beautiful World".
He was the director of FLCL, however, which is why I do have hope for this series.
Apr 5, 2012 6:22 AM

Jun 2008
See the difference between the atmosphere?

Not really... I'll see the anime probably sometime later today to make my decision.
TachiiApr 5, 2012 6:26 AM
Apr 5, 2012 6:25 AM

Nov 2010
Garbage. Would have been amusing if anime was invented this week.
Apr 5, 2012 6:25 AM

Jun 2010
Tachii said:

Not really... I'll see the anime probably sometime later today to make my decision.

So you haven't watched it yet? XD
Apr 5, 2012 6:28 AM

Jun 2008
Thing is when I first read the manga the first thing that came off my mind was how it kinda resembled Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

The slice of life and romcom element was there. There was just some fighting during the early chapters that vaguely hinted it might be more action-oriented.

Then the flash plan was introduced and all bets were off. That's when I think many of the anime viewers who haven't read the manga will be surprised, because I certainly was.
Apr 5, 2012 6:35 AM

Sep 2010
Booooobs~
That is all.

No really, apart from the boobs, I think it's rather enjoyable. C:
Apr 5, 2012 6:41 AM

May 2010
3/5
6/10

nothign to get excited about sofar.
Apr 5, 2012 6:44 AM

Jan 2010
Is it going to be this way all the time (I haven't read the manga)? If it does, I'm dropping it, the first episode was just stupid, I don't get all the hype. I watched it because it was done by Gainax and Nisio Isin, but I'm very disappointed.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 11, 2012

158 by RaidenSteiner »»
Oct 22, 2023 6:01 PM

» Moji, Mahibi

Ugliz - Mar 10, 2014

1 by gust4835 »»
Sep 4, 2023 8:20 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 18, 2012

99 by Hayley2877 »»
Dec 19, 2022 9:50 AM

» Any differences?

StaleNut - Nov 4, 2022

3 by StaleNut »»
Nov 4, 2022 6:12 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2012

123 by Attackonfiller »»
Jan 25, 2022 2:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.