Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2012 9:15 AM
Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Since I couldn't find a version with subtitles I could only grasp the basic concept behind this OVA: Two humanoid robots in search for the meaning of love and death respectively. Both reach their goal in the end as they fall in love with each other and one of them commits suicide to experience death.

The art style used in this seems to be typical for Soubi Yamamoto. The vibrant colour palette and the integration of sketchlike drawings and kanji give it a ephereous and vivid feeling. The exclamation mark in the eyes of one of the androids reminds me of Arikawa from Kono Danshi. I wonder if it is supposed to express their jaunty and happy-go-lucky attitude considering their similar personalities.
Feb 11, 2013 2:40 AM

Jul 2012
Loved it ;__; It was touching (as expected from Soubi Yamamoto) ;uuu;
Feb 19, 2013 6:41 PM

Dec 2008
Soubi Yamamoto made me cry in ten minutes. This woman's a genius! A beautiful, yet sad story. Loved the ending when the scientist told them that they were his sons!
Mar 12, 2013 5:20 PM

Jul 2010
Really unique and touching, I loved every second T^T

Why can't "regular" anime's be like this? The story is really simple but told in a very touching way, directors from other companies could learn something from Soubi Yamamoto imho :)
Jun 29, 2013 6:22 AM

May 2007
Ah crap....I only realised it was shounen-ai about 5 or 6 minutes in and so I just finished it...darn it. Never really felt like boy's love though, so I would hope the "Shounen Ai" tag would be deleted because it was more akin to family love and so brotherly love between the the 2 robots and the human scientist being their father figure.
Aug 14, 2013 8:59 PM

Aug 2013
I've really love this movie... it made my heart thump so hard that it hurts... An evidence of how much it touched my heart <3
Nov 23, 2013 3:18 PM

Nov 2010
I liked it. It had an ok story, the subs that I used weren't that good so I feel I missed the little I couldn't translate. The art was very bright and unique. I liked it but sometimes I couldn't tell what was going on it was so bright(maybe a problem on my end). A problem I had was Masa-san's voice, that guy was trying too hard to have an older voice which made him sound bad.
Nov 23, 2013 3:40 PM

Jul 2012
Well, my heart hurts. Was gonna give it a 7/10 but the last scenes actually made me speechless. Really beautiful directing and cinematography. 8/10.

edit-

Rewatched it a year later. I still really liked the climatic scene at the end, but it's really redundant with the "I'm a robot. I can't love." idea. 6/10
MayukaJan 21, 2015 6:42 PM
Oct 21, 2015 9:57 AM

Mar 2010
dam that was sad.
Jan 26, 2016 10:51 AM

Jun 2010
I love the art and how this was made. It was funny, sad and yet made me also think a lot.
The colours were also pretty.
Robots and androids might be the same thing in some way, but I prefer using the name android when there's lots of emotions going on. Robots are morelike.. machines. Without emotions or thinking too much.
Feel free to disagree, but that's what I think.

Masa was cute!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2016 8:00 PM

Apr 2014
awhh takes them back home in the end.
---------My Profile------------
Nov 27, 2016 3:40 PM

May 2007
It literally destroyed me. I was pounding my head on the table and bawling like a baby.
Nov 30, 2016 1:57 PM

Sep 2016
The animation was so bad I couldn't really connect with it.
The voice acting had its moments but that wasn't really good either.
Feb 26, 2017 2:48 AM

Aug 2007
Huh, pleasantly surprised with that one. I would have liked to seen more. 6/10

Mar 9, 2019 9:51 PM

Nov 2013
JCDRANZER said:
Ah crap....I only realised it was shounen-ai about 5 or 6 minutes in and so I just finished it...darn it. Never really felt like boy's love though, so I would hope the "Shounen Ai" tag would be deleted because it was more akin to family love and so brotherly love between the the 2 robots and the human scientist being their father figure.

It never seemed like boy's love to me either. The closest it gets to "romantic" is hand holding and even that's a stretch. Hand holding isn't strictly a romantic gesture. However, given that the director is Soubi Yamamoto, whose main line of work involves BL plot lines, this anime was probably lumped in with the rest since it features two guys and the theme of "love". And I agree, this video appeared to only portray familial love.

Heck, even Free! is gayer than this, and it doesn't get the Shounen Ai tag because all it has is heavy subtext. But hey, maybe the creators intended R*R to be BL, and the MCs' relationship is just more ambiguous this time around.

Mar 22, 2019 5:16 PM
Nov 2016
watching it really makes me burst into tears but from where i look at it this is quite a happy ending actually. yes Natsu tried to kill himself but he survived and was saved by Masa who loves both of them. even the tears coming out from Natsu's eyes weren't tears of sadness but rather relief and happiness at least from my point of view. Also, i have to say i've never gotten this attached to the characters in such a short amount of time, great work done by the creators.

and "what is love?". i dont think that human can truly explain that either, what i do know is that you don't need to have a definition to realize or feel it.
May 22, 2019 3:23 PM

Mar 2016
The voice acting felt off at times, but the actors have no other roles, so I guess I understand that.

The art and animation were weird, but they were beautiful and did their job of sending a message.

I had watched it on YouTube with really bad subtitles, yet my eyes filled with tears. What? Why? Usually, I can't even suspend my disbelief for robots! This anime does something very right, but I don't know what.
Jun 27, 2021 2:27 AM

Aug 2017
Didn't do much for me in terms of emotional response, but I really like Yamamoto's style. All those text flashes, sketches, etc really add some uniqueness to the whole thing.
Aug 14, 2022 11:48 AM
Aug 2022
kısa ama güzel bi anime
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.