Forum Settings
Forums

Rinne no Lagrange in Dilemma: Studied Appeal to Otaku Causes Adverse Effect

New
Mar 7, 2012 8:56 AM

Feb 2008
Japanese national TV channel NHK has reported the recent trend of "otaku tourism" in the evening news program. They introduced the successful cases of Lucky ☆ Star, Hanasaku Iroha and True Tears, which have brought many tourists to the model cities. However, the PR project of Kamogawa city in cooperation with Rinne no Lagrange has not been working well. "Otaku tourism" is supposed to be a spontaneous movement by the fans, who are impressed by the anime. If the producers make conscious efforts to appeal the model cities too much, there will be a repulsion from otaku.

"Don't fool otaku" comment posted on 2channel

Kamogawa city has now been aware of the unexpected reactions from the audience and they have begun to seek a way to let the fans enjoy the anime without making excessive appeals of the city.

Director Nishikiori Hiroshi criticized that the otaku tourism-oriented way of production ruins the creativity of the art staff because including the scenery of the model city in the anime is given the priority over the quality of the arts.

Sources: Screenshots of the program, Screenshot 2
dtshykMar 7, 2012 9:17 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 7, 2012 9:02 AM

Jun 2009
Wait so otaku aren't amused by producers trying to promote the city too much and the city itself doesn't want too much appeals either? I don't really get it.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Mar 7, 2012 9:05 AM

Jan 2011
Im glad to see this show has become a big hit with the fans. They should just make a life sized Lan model and everyone will be happy
VioLinkMar 7, 2012 9:13 AM
[center]
Mar 7, 2012 9:05 AM

Mar 2007
OrochiPL said:
Wait so otaku aren't amused by producers trying to promote the city too much and the city itself doesn't want too much appeals either? I don't really get it.

Would you want a bunch of nerds shitting up your city? I think this is what they don't want.
Mar 7, 2012 9:11 AM

May 2010
Wrong marketing movement or something?
Mar 7, 2012 9:16 AM

Nov 2008
As long as this sells WTFC

This anime is good, you don't need otaku tourism to prove it.

I also preordered the manga btw

Mar 7, 2012 9:21 AM

Jun 2010
I believe the true question is:

Who cares?
Mar 7, 2012 9:24 AM

Oct 2010
Well, Rinne no Lagrange has its moments, but its far from being a great anime, so i don't blame people for not checking out the city.
Mar 7, 2012 9:30 AM

Aug 2008
So for otaku, forced fanservice and pedo vibes are ok but forced product placing (even if it's a whole city) is bad? Yeah.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 7, 2012 9:32 AM

Nov 2008
Supergrunt8 said:
Well, Rinne no Lagrange has its moments, but its far from being a great anime, so i don't blame people for not checking out the city.

Antanaru said:
So for otaku, forced fanservice and pedo vibes are ok but forced product placing (even if it's a whole city) is bad? Yeah.

I don't think neither situation is the problem at all, this is all poor marketing.

Mar 7, 2012 10:17 AM

Nov 2008
Come on people who cares.
Mar 7, 2012 10:34 AM

Feb 2008
the result is pretty much obvious. i wont really get too much into it, but i don't see how the producers would expect anything but this.
Mar 7, 2012 11:26 AM

Sep 2011
So they're mad they're getting alot of tourism?
Mar 7, 2012 11:42 AM

Jan 2011
I need to find another website for anime and manga news. :/
Mar 7, 2012 12:26 PM

Jun 2008
icantfeelmyarms said:

Who cares?

Exactly! Some people take this stuff too seriously.
Mar 7, 2012 12:50 PM

Feb 2012
wjxxhulka66n6 said:

Would you want a bunch of nerds shitting up your city? I think this is what they don't want.

Pretty much this.
Japanese have a lot of pride. They don't want to be viewed as the nerd stain on the world.
Mar 7, 2012 1:01 PM
Feb 2012
Otaku tend to hate to be forced. In case of Rinne no Lagrange, the creators emphasize Kamogawa, but they never explain why the incidents occur in Kamogawa; no fatality. Just force the viewers to watch the appeal of Kamogawa itself, it seems.
You know Sacred Seven. That also tied up with the local district; Kamakura. In this case, Onigawara has anything to do with an ancient building, and the story itself comes from something historical and mysterious in the 900-years-old city. There is a background in Sacred Seven. But in Rinne no Lagrange, I cannot find it out.
I hope the fatality in Kamogawa will appear, and make the viewer satisfy of the reason why in Kamogawa in Rinne no Lagrange.
日本人です。海外の反応系のブログもいくつか見させてもらってますw 翻訳頑張ってくださいね。
Mar 7, 2012 1:05 PM

Jun 2011
What would the production group gain from an otaku tourism-oriented anime?

It don't think it's the tourist that really matters, it's that people can relate to it.
Mar 7, 2012 1:16 PM

May 2011
Smigoo said:
So they're mad they're getting alot of tourism?

Probably, though I'm not sure myself.
Mar 7, 2012 1:35 PM

Jun 2009
This is embarassing in more ways than one.
Mar 7, 2012 1:47 PM

Sep 2010
antibiotictab said:
Otaku tend to hate to be forced.
was what I expected the reason is.
Mar 7, 2012 2:03 PM
Feb 2012
Retro8bit said:
icantfeelmyarms said:

Who cares?

Exactly! Some people take this stuff too seriously.

Otaku care. Because they are Otaku.
日本人です。海外の反応系のブログもいくつか見させてもらってますw 翻訳頑張ってくださいね。
Mar 7, 2012 2:30 PM

May 2010
they're supposed to attract otaku with ESTABLISHED anime, as in it's gained fame and cult following after a period of fandom that does not/has not expire(d).

waht the heck is this renne thing? i've only seen the cover art, i have yet to see the show

PR did it backwards this time with this anime and this city, trying to make the anime popular first by attracting tourism

it doesn't work that way
Fiction Responsibly
Mar 7, 2012 2:39 PM

Nov 2008
And another one bites the dust :v
Mar 7, 2012 4:14 PM

Oct 2011
i just couldnt realy get into that anime :T
Mar 7, 2012 4:24 PM
Oct 2009
It's amusing how people turn every possible thread, no matter how minimal related, into a "discussion" which boils down to hating and trolling. I sort of feel sorry for the News Team when people don't even care to actually read the news.

Ok, a bit more on-topic: executive meddling hits again! The fans don't like it, the director doesn't like it, the city itself doesn't like it. Nice strategy there, guys.
Mar 7, 2012 4:31 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Tomah said:
It's amusing how people turn every possible thread, no matter how minimal related, into a "discussion" which boils down to hating and trolling. I sort of feel sorry for the News Team when people don't even care to actually read the news.

Although one possible explanation that this tourism didn't work is that the series turned out to be very average.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 7, 2012 5:20 PM

May 2011
dtshyk said:
"Don't fool otaku"

Pretty much sums this up.

Heed the words of the wise, and your marketing strategies won't turn to crap.
Mar 7, 2012 5:39 PM
Oct 2009
wakka9ca said:
Tomah said:

Although one possible explanation that this tourism didn't work is that the series turned out to be very average.

That's really not the problem here, at least not right now. The fans, city and director are all unhappy about turning Rinne no Lagrange into a giant promotional show. It's not that the city is bad, or even the show itself, but the overbearing strategy.
Mar 7, 2012 6:21 PM

Apr 2010
hope this doesnt affect the show... ive become rather attached to it :/

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Mar 7, 2012 7:48 PM

Nov 2008
Neverarine said:
hope this doesnt affect the show... ive become rather attached to it :/

It won't.

Mar 8, 2012 1:47 AM

Nov 2007
Interesting, I've watched this before.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 11, 2012 3:58 PM

Jan 2011
Now if this were true investigative journalism, someone would find out just what Kamogawa City paid to the producers (or provided as an incentive) to be featured as a location in the anime. Increasingly, product placement fees are seen as just another revenue stream by the producers of all types of entertainment.

(And did you ever wonder just what type of editorial influence large military organizations receive in return for the lending of equipment, soldiers, and locations in some of those recruitment films (oops I mean action movies).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 18, 2012 12:10 AM

May 2010
wakka9ca said:
Tomah said:

I haven't seen the show yet, so this is a perhaps a somewhat unbiased perspective: commercially the series is far from average. It doesn't mater if this was a critical favorite or not, it was relatively popular (at least among english-speaking otaku). Any series that falls into the "why haven't you seen this?" category is a pretty good, especially if it goes from across the ocean.
“Money can't buy dere”
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ikoku Nikki' Receives TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

18 by Kazou-nozumu688 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kono Sekai wa Fukanzen Sugiru' Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs

Nioxys - 6 hours ago

0 by Nioxys »»
6 hours ago

» 'Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu' 2nd Season Announced

Vindstot - Dec 23, 2023

19 by JugNut001 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Dragon Ball' Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Vindstot - Mar 7

165 by LusenProd »»
Yesterday, 7:57 PM

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - May 1

7 by Rhae »»
Yesterday, 1:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.