Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 18, 2012 8:56 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Epic battle scene followed by

I think it's first time seeing Tsukihi wearing something other than her Kimono. :)

Anyway, it looks like Kakoibachi curse was just a "nisemono" (aka placebo) technique from Kaiki. To be honest, I was hoping that the Kaiki would get pwned by Gahara-san, but I liked how the story didn't put too much emphasis on the ending and it was all the progress so far that made the show worth watching. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the start of Tsukihi's arc in the next episode.
stevewiess01Feb 18, 2012 9:05 AM

Feb 18, 2012 9:01 AM

Nov 2008
Karen kicked Koyomi's ass in so many ways.

I also wish Hitagi would have pwned Kaiki, it would have made the episode a bit better.

Karen and Tsukihi sleeping together nude is cute and both have nice bodies.

Feb 18, 2012 9:08 AM

Aug 2008
Sibling quarrel just destroyed the highway.
Karen could have killed Koyomi if he is not a pseudo-vampire.

So that fever was a placebo effect. Didn't expect that.
The whole arc solved by driving Kaiki out of the town. But their conversation worth listening to.
Feb 18, 2012 9:17 AM

Dec 2011
HorribleSubs/CrunchyRoll subs delayed by 13 hours.
Feb 18, 2012 9:43 AM

Jul 2011
Holy shit this episode was amazing.

Not because of the evident cool things that happened, but how well the dialogue managed to "flow", and how much of the new happenings effectively referred itself back to the first fucking season. Seriously.

That implied scene towards the end wasn't blatant fan service, it was fucking explained from her fears during the first season, and the alleviation of it this episode.

Oh right, the fuck was used for emphasis, not in rage.

Edit: The climax was via dialogue, the climax doesn't have to be encapsulated in complete violence, it's not that difficult to understand. Far more exciting than a few brainless blows between Shinobu and Kaiki.
mdzFeb 19, 2012 9:35 AM
Feb 18, 2012 11:52 AM

Oct 2010
This is the best episode hands down! Visually amazing, fan service artistically done and not in a sexual tone. Emotional, visuals and art depictions were top notch IMO. Some thoughts follow.

I was totally O_O at Araragi in the spoiler
due to him being that badly beaten by Karen. However it was more WTF at all the crumble on the highway part. How the F is that possible I would never guess less Araragi broke the supporting column of the structure, which would make more sense. I was very pleased with the end result of the fight in the following,

That Hug was pure! I was scared at one point of the face of Araragi that he would do something perverted but turns out it was all sweet and nice as a resolve. That hug was not anything sexual. It was in fact pure emotional and I really like that. *Hats off* to an emotional scenes of powerful proportions.

Kaiki looked so bad ass in the following,

The guy looked like a MASTERMIND of EPIC horror proportions. Add to that the fact he looks like a Frankenstein makes it hotter. His type and the way they are depicted makes things really awesome. I liked it when they showed this shadow in the spoiler
it make him look more freak. The crows created a nice atmosphere while the facials of Hitagi and Araragi were superb there.

About the fan service, well people should be happy to have seen those glimpses of Shinobu’s ass in the spoiler
That part with her and the fan service was sexual the way I see it. Whereas the the fan service of the sisters Karen and Tsukihi in the spoiler (NSFW)
was not only artistically gorgeous but it portrayed a beauty due to it being specifically artistic. I mean sleeping together like that = to me more art and the fire part = to me a form of innocence burning out. So in short sister’s fan service = to art while Shinobu ones are sexual to me.
Of course that is just a IMO of mines.

Got to admit that the following in the spoiler
freaked me out. I really though both were like that or going to become suddenly like that.

About the ED, to make it short, it was really nice to show Karen and Tsukihi the way they were shown.

So in general it was the best episode IMO. Might edit later.

BTW Image Stitches are done in the spoiler (NSFW)
This is just a modded version cleaned up of the sisters sleeping. For now. Now added the art at the end. Sadly there are credits but it’ nice.

GIFs have been done in the club:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=404703
Some nice avatars of Hitagi.

End Art in the spoiler
has sadly credit but it’s nice art of Suruga with Hitagi.
Yumekichi11Feb 18, 2012 5:25 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 18, 2012 12:17 PM

Jul 2010
Battle scene with Koyomi and Karen had DBZ undertones. In other words, awesome.

A crap load of talking between Kaiki and Hitagi/Koyomi but pretty interesting conversion I would think (no subs at this point so I'll have to rewatch later).

Karen and Tsukihi lovely bodies on display like a piece of artwork. Shinbou also had to tease, giving us a glimpse of her naked butt.
Feb 18, 2012 2:23 PM

Jun 2011
That dramatic fight scene. <3

Shinobu, what she said was stunning. >_>

Sometimes I can't tell if Kaiki is lying or not. o_o
Feb 18, 2012 5:37 PM

Nov 2010
The most crappy episode as expected. Anime creators should have changed the plot from the original novel. Too surrealistic battle scene, boring dialogue and we've got nothing.
Feb 18, 2012 5:41 PM

Sep 2011
Am I the only one who finds the battle scene unrealistic? I know that it's for dramatic purposes, but going so far as to destroy a whole bridge? No.

Umm... I guess Kaiki will come back again in the next arc? He don't seemed to have realized his mistake. And leaving the town is too lenient a punishment for him. At least make him suffer at Hitagi's stapler.

So... Senjogahara and Koyomi had sex? I thought it was pretty obvious from that last bit of dialogue before they cut off to the next day.

That final yuri incest scene, yummy...
Feb 18, 2012 5:56 PM

Oct 2011
I really loved the intense fight between Karen chan and Koyomi and the hugging that followed it. The hugging was nicely done, and as someone else said it was so innocent and full of emotions.

I also liked how Gahara san was able to keep up with Kaiki's mind boggling words...and her dress was so pretty! Although nothing much happened the conversation was very interesting to hear..not much in terms of art, just some camera angles and crows.

5/5 9/10
Feb 18, 2012 7:02 PM
Feb 2012
I think back to the first episode when Tsukihi mentioned fights being a valid form of communication and the fight with karen really showed it. Considering what happened in Kanbaru's arc back in bakemono the fight there was brutal and it showed, the feelings of hate really came through.

In this fight though, the brutality was subdued by the outlandish and over the top action, it really felt like Karen was pulling her punches and doing just enough to get Koyomi to leave her alone. In so many other shows if a character didn't straight up tell you, it would be impossible to tell if they were really trying or not.

I also both love and hate the part with kaiki, a part of me really would like to smack the smug look off his face and I would be lying if I said I was dissapointed they didn't. However I know it would just be a cheap cop-out to have the "heroes" get revenge on the "villain" to make the viewer feel better, a type of fanservice more detrimental to the plot than any amount of sexy ever could be.

Kaiki tricked them out of their money yes, but smacking him around wouldn't stop his scheme or help the people he tricked. The only thing they would end up doing is getting charged with aggravated assault or theft should they decide to attempt retrieval of the money, really the only smart solution was to put it in terms he could understand "leave or we'll be a detriment to your cashflow". Make peace with your losses, prevent others from making the same mistake and move on. Definitely a hard pill to swallow, but much more applicable than "Hurt people who disagree with you for "justice"".
Feb 18, 2012 7:53 PM

Oct 2010
mrghost_00 said:
So... Senjogahara and Koyomi had sex? I thought it was pretty obvious from that last bit of dialogue before they cut off to the next day.
I was thinking the same thing but I am not sure as they should have showed Hitagi getting out of his place. One can assume only that he spent time outside and did it with Hitagi or her place although that would have to mean her parents were out.

IMO they probably did it where they last left off and Araragi came home late thus why he was tired in the morning either that or he had too much of it and was exhausted from it.

That's all I concluded if that was implied. I presume the LN people can tell us more of that part?

Feb 18, 2012 8:04 PM

Sep 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
mrghost_00 said:
I was thinking the same thing but I am not sure as they should have showed Hitagi getting out of his place. One can assume only that he spent time outside and did it with Hitagi or her place although that would have to mean her parents were out.

IMO they probably did it where they last left off and Araragi came home late thus why he was tired in the morning either that or he had too much of it and was exhausted from it.

That's all I concluded if that was implied. I presume the LN people can tell us more of that part?

I think it would be safe to assume that they did it in Hitagi's house. Her mother is not around, and her father... well, judging from Episode 12 of Bakemonogatari, he would probably be working at some other place.
Feb 18, 2012 8:19 PM

Oct 2010
Good people... why are discussing where they did it? As far as we know they did it right there in the theater (Seriously... think about it.. is hitagi, she is crazy like that) and then Koyomi went back home to have shinji episode to her naked sisters -.- dont over think it.. it happened, now it would be funny to see how other characters react to this ^^ and by that i mean Nadeko

I feel bad a six episode build up ended in such an un-climatic way.
"Any guy will do"... "Disregard bras; acquire liberation"... best part of the whole dam ep.
huh?
Feb 18, 2012 8:22 PM

Oct 2010
mrghost_00 said:
Yumekichi11 said:
mrghost_00 said:

I think it would be safe to assume that they did it in Hitagi's house. Her mother is not around, and her father... well, judging from Episode 12 of Bakemonogatari, he would probably be working at some other place.
Agree, then it's settled they did in Hitagi's place and he finished in the morning thus he is tired and woke up on the spur of getting his sisters ready for school? Wait a second did Araragi already finish school? I though he would go with his sisters to school? Guess the breaks working differently around Japan with schools.

It's too bad they did not show any of the sex. They could have done some amazing visuals the series is known for to show the most happiest moment between them alas we are only left with the following in the spoiler
Point being is you fucking give the fans what is due to them in Araragi x Hitagi. I for wanted to see their first love session. At least give out some hints. Heck White Album did it the least of ways to show there was sex. Why take a setup like that from them? Oh well what is done is done.
choyos said:
Good people... why are discussing where they did it? As far as we know they did it right there in the theater (Seriously... think about it.. is hitagi, she is crazy like that) and then Koyomi went back home to have shinji episode to her naked sisters -.- dont over think it.. it happened, now it would be funny to see how other characters react to this ^^ and by that i mean Nadeko
Well it's fun to speculate what was not given to us. Yeah they could have done it there but I will stick it more with Hitagi's house if anything.

If I was a girl I would not want my sign of my innocence around a desolate place like that. I would also want to keep the bed sheets, which Hitagi might have done. That would be genius to show later on, I can picture Araragi freaking out to remember that time. Freaking out not in a bad way just funny.
Yumekichi11Feb 18, 2012 8:26 PM

Feb 18, 2012 8:23 PM

Sep 2011
Good episode,Karen Bee ends!

Karen kicking Araragi ass was great done the art was superb and the pace was well done,the fight show the respect and care they have for each one and i loved the Hug as some say pure without anything sexual just great.

The rest of the episode was just epic,the 3 Senjogahara,Araragi and Kaiki were superb the dialogue and the art was superb and the interactions with each other was awesome,also i must say i really liked Kaiki i loved his dialogue and his attitude just a great villain.

Now if Gahara and Koyomi had sex....i think is pretty obvious i think that was the "request" she was going to ask but as Yume said the LN readers can tell us better.

Great end for the first Arc now lets see what this awesome Anime can give us next!!!
Feb 18, 2012 8:27 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Tsukihi Phoenix arc is next...

And nope, this is not the last time we will hear from our brilliant con man mastermind...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 18, 2012 8:27 PM

Jan 2010
Impostory
Falstory
Bogustory

More like Fanservicestory....I'm sorry but they're really going overboard with it in this sequel. It has gotten to the point where it's detracting from the story. Goddamn it SHAFT.
Ok™
Feb 18, 2012 8:31 PM

Oct 2010
Yumekichi11 said:

It's too bad they did not show any of the sex. They could have done some amazing visuals the series is known for to show the most happiest moment between them alas we are only left with the following in the spoiler.

Like seriously they show Shinobu naked for a a solid 10 min in the bath with him... but when it came to the kiss with karen or at least some foreplay with hitagi, NOTHING

SHAFT did a decent job already in REC when it needed to be done. Maybe it was the same in the LN and Nisin didn't went into details.
huh?
Feb 18, 2012 8:41 PM
Nov 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
I would also want to keep the bed sheets, which Hitagi might have done.

???

What?
Feb 18, 2012 8:45 PM

Dec 2010
McRib said:
More like Fanservicestory....I'm sorry but they're really going overboard with it in this sequel. It has gotten to the point where it's detracting from the story. Goddamn it SHAFT.
Needs more nude shots of Koyomi imo
Feb 18, 2012 8:47 PM

Oct 2010
choyos said:
Yumekichi11 said:

It's too bad they did not show any of the sex. They could have done some amazing visuals the series is known for to show the most happiest moment between them alas we are only left with the following in the spoiler.

Like seriously they show Shinobu naked for a a solid 10 min in the bath with him... but when it came to the kiss with karen or at least some foreplay with hitagi, NOTHING

SHAFT did a decent job already in REC when it needed to be done. Maybe it was the same in the LN and Nisin didn't went into details.
Could be but you proved my point with Shinobu. THANK YOU!
7godeohs said:
Yumekichi11 said:

???

What?
READ THE WHOLE THING! I was putting myself in the shoes of a girl and what she would have done as her first time and I perceived in that sense Hitagi would be crazy enough to do the bed sheets thing. However this is all speculations/assumptions. So don't freak out man. It's just I am huge shipper of both of them.

Feb 18, 2012 8:49 PM

May 2009
Good Shit man Good Shit. Really liked this episode some nice dialogue. Especially from the wonderful Senjougahara.
Feb 18, 2012 8:56 PM
Aug 2009
Anyone else find it weird how Karen didn't give it a second thought why she would have normally killed someone but with that violence Araragi was like..unharmed?

Also, lol at Araragi expression when con man was telling Hitagi about her crush.
Feb 18, 2012 8:58 PM

Oct 2009
Keeping bed sheets? You mean the tradition of keeping the sheets stained with the virgin's blood?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2012 9:00 PM

May 2011
way to trash the freeway
Feb 18, 2012 9:05 PM

Jan 2011
Man i love the way Karen fights she moves so gracefully and watching that scene made me remember how much Koyomi gets his ass handed to him whenever he fights but still ends up being cool like a boss haha,just sucks we didn't get to see him use his powers at all hopefully he does in the next arc.
Feb 18, 2012 9:06 PM

Oct 2011
Not sure why, but this episode felt really anti-climactic. The fan-service is starting to feel less special now that it's freaking everywhere, and teasing an incestuous relationship between the twins and Araragi was just rather odd.

Overall, I didn't like this episode. It was more Nisemonogatari, but they don't seem to be trying anymore. I'm not saying it was horrible, it's just the same stuff again.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Feb 18, 2012 9:07 PM

Oct 2009
As much as I enjoyed the episode, thought it felt a bit anti-climatic. Or at least compared to the way I saw it in the novel.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2012 9:07 PM

Aug 2010
This episode had a lot of good parts imo. First the fight between brother and sister, then the encounter with Kaiki (which included great dialogue), followed by a nice scene between Koyomi and Senjougahara (they had to have had sex), all capped off by some yuri sisters.
Feb 18, 2012 9:13 PM

Jul 2009
Sense. This makes little.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Feb 18, 2012 9:14 PM

Oct 2010
Yanoflies said:
Keeping bed sheets? You mean the tradition of keeping the sheets stained with the virgin's blood?

I think he is talking about that very awkard moment when a couple do it for their first time (for each) and then you are trying to figure out what to do with the sheets before someone else sees the stains...
Citrix said:
Anyone else find it weird how Karen didn't give it a second thought why she would have normally killed someone but with that violence Araragi was like..unharmed?

Also, lol at Araragi expression when con man was telling Hitagi about her crush.

He is still 1% vampire so he could survive... the fight was meant look grand but in reality it was just imagery just to show how powerful she was, yet she could do nothing against her brother which represented "true justice" atm
huh?
Feb 18, 2012 9:15 PM

Jun 2009
Well, that was anti-climactic.

I thought there would be at least a little bit of resistance from Kaiki but he's just like "Okay, I'll just get the fuck off here so there are no problems". Overall just a fanservice anime. Not that I'm complaining about but it could have been better.
Feb 18, 2012 9:20 PM

Dec 2009
McRib said:
Impostory
Falstory
Bogustory

Bakemonogatari had the same amount of fanservice.
Actually, the first scene was a panty shot, don't know why alot of people are saying that this has too much fanservice.
Feb 18, 2012 9:25 PM

Nov 2011
Amazing episode, but it feels like the series is over now, lol. Although I hate how Araragi always gets his ass handed to him... I mean he can't be that weak can he? Doesn't he still have one tenth the power of a Vampire? He should be able to do some damage. Anyway, Kaiki really gets in your head with the way he speaks, to bad they didn't fight, that would of been badass.

Also it's definitely safe to assume Araragi and Senjougahara had sex. Fine with me not showing it but I still wish I could of seen just one. simple. kissing. scene. Just one! and with that I could be truly satisfied. It makes me kinda sick that I want to see one that bad. I needa get out more.

Random stuff: Haha I love how much Shinobu changed. I was watching some quick clips of Bakemonogatari and it's almost like it's a whole new person! In Bakemono she's a mysterious 8 year old vampire who loves donuts and a mute (or at least I thought) and now she's a jolly talkative pervert tsundere. Still love her though.
Feb 18, 2012 9:29 PM

Apr 2010
That was rather anticlimactic.
Feb 18, 2012 9:37 PM
Jan 2012
<3 Senjougahara

nuff said
Feb 18, 2012 9:42 PM

Apr 2011
Possibly one of the most epic anime's ever? Also was sex implied between Koyomi and Hitagi? Bow chika wow wow.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Feb 18, 2012 9:47 PM

Oct 2010
Yanoflies said:
Yes, we all know Hitagi saved her virginity. Speaking of that in the spoiler
they did good those flashbacks showing her attempted rape. It really did still cringe me there. Considering they were re-done differently it nonetheless did not lose its effect upon me at least.

Feb 18, 2012 9:49 PM

Nov 2008
Not the climatic ending that I was expecting after all the build-up. Still it was a great episode, Karen and Araragi's fight was awesome. It is in time like those that I wonder where all the people are. No cars, etc on the highway.

Anyway, did Araragi finally get some action?
Feb 18, 2012 9:50 PM

Jul 2009
Please no hair cut, please no hair cut, please no hair cut.

THAT'S ALL I ASK FOR. PLEASE NO HAIR CUT!
Feb 18, 2012 9:55 PM
Jan 2012
Stuartxtr7 said:
McRib said:
Impostory
Falstory
Bogustory

Bakemonogatari had the same amount of fanservice.
Actually, the first scene was a panty shot, don't know why alot of people are saying that this has too much fanservice.

Classy fanservice...
Feb 18, 2012 9:57 PM
Jan 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
choyos said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Could be but you proved my point with Shinobu. THANK YOU!
7godeohs said:
Yumekichi11 said:

???

What?
READ THE WHOLE THING! I was putting myself in the shoes of a girl and what she would have done as her first time and I perceived in that sense Hitagi would be crazy enough to do the bed sheets thing. However this is all speculations/assumptions. So don't freak out man. It's just I am huge shipper of both of them.

I second on the sex scene, they did it for ef a tale of memories -_-
Feb 18, 2012 10:04 PM

Sep 2011
McRib said:
Impostory
Falstory
Bogustory

Again, stop focusing on the fanservice. It's not Shaft's fault that Nisio had it in the novels. This episode had like... 1 second of fanservice? Yeah, stop being a moron, the fanservice isn't distracting the "story" at all. Besides, this is not an anime with a huge plot anyways.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Feb 18, 2012 10:08 PM

Sep 2011
Ok... They had SEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Good job Araragi.

The fighting scene was ridiculous, a weird way of showing their conflict...

well, this layout was quite simple, but the dialogue was not... hoho
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Feb 18, 2012 10:21 PM
Jul 2018
It's great battle between koyomi and his fire sister.

Gahara-san really such as tsundere. Can any guy hold themselves when a girl tell them "please be gentle with me, tonight?". Even koyomi won't be able to hold himself...

Too bad, shaft didn't give any hint at all for that sex scene :(...
Feb 18, 2012 10:22 PM

Aug 2011
Kinda awkward how Kaiki just got up and left, but he'll definitely be back (at least, I think...)

Love the little Senjougahara and Araragi moment at the end. I wonder if they actually have an intimate relationship. Huh, didn't appreciate the random scene of Karen and Tsukihi naked, sleeping together.
Feb 18, 2012 10:29 PM

Sep 2011
Damn you implied sex scenes, you leave dirty thoughts in my head.
[center]
Feb 18, 2012 10:33 PM

Jul 2011
Damn this show is just so well done, can't believe there's only 4 more episodes left. Here's to hoping more is made after nise and kizu.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 25, 2012

755 by decco6226 »»
Apr 22, 3:13 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Akiyama - Jan 21, 2012

261 by decco6226 »»
Apr 21, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ariamachi - Jan 14, 2012

348 by Ken_9 »»
Mar 15, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Mar 17, 2012

414 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 10, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2012

247 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 5, 7:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.