Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2012 5:01 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not sure how I feel about this or even if I'll continue. I don't know, I'm usually tolerant of characters but Anne came off as somewhat obnoxious to me here. Still, i'll give this a little while longer. I feel as though I owe it that much.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 7, 2012 8:48 PM
Sep 2007
insan3soldiern said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not sure how I feel about this or even if I'll continue. I don't know, I'm usually tolerant of characters but Anne came off as somewhat obnoxious to me here. Still, i'll give this a little while longer. I feel as though I owe it that much.

At first, I thought she was annoying too, but now I absolutely adore her. An utterly charming and innocent character. Besides, her long-winded and melodramatic speeches always make me laugh (not her speech in this episode, as it was actually justified).
Feb 7, 2012 9:26 PM

Aug 2007
I can easily understand why some might find her annoying, especially early on. I always said if I didn't love her then I would hate her. But yes, I love her. She develops soooooo much, as does the show itself. By the end she's such a complete character. I felt completely satisfied. I love this show. Masterfully simplistic and charming.
KTKoreFeb 7, 2012 10:29 PM
Jun 21, 2012 10:17 AM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:

I actually enjoyed this episode quite a bit this time around, maybe because I'm more in the mood for what this series is going for. I feel as though Anne is using her big words and melodramatic speech to hide something or maybe attempting to appeal to Matthew a bit more. Anyway, I WILL continue watching this now.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 13, 2012 11:02 AM

Sep 2008
The only reason I started watching this was Takahata's name on it, and the recommendation of some people (like insan3soldiern). I was half afraid that I'd find it boring or outdated, and when Annes mouth fired off I was extremely irritated at first, and felt like turning down the volume.

But here's the funny part, I was watching it with my younger brother, and a few minutes after Anne started talking, we just bursted into laughter, and we kept laughing for at least 2 minutes (we actually paused the episode for a bit there!). When Anne's melodramatic speech reaches an absurd level at one point, Cuthbert's expression is just priceless.

And then when she became quiet at that Apple blossom avenue, I suddenly felt she wasn't irritating at all, it was just her personality, that's the way she is maybe.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 18, 2012 12:55 PM

Sep 2009
eyerok said:
I was half afraid that I'd find it boring or outdated, and when Annes mouth fired off I was extremely irritated at first, and felt like turning down the volume.
But here's the funny part, I was watching it with my younger brother, and a few minutes after Anne started talking, we just bursted into laughter, and we kept laughing for at least 2 minutes (we actually paused the episode for a bit there!). When Anne's melodramatic speech reaches an absurd level at one point, Cuthbert's expression is just priceless.

For people who have just started watching Akage no Anne, it isn't that uncommon for them to be annoyed by Anne's speeches, either when she's letting out her sadness and frustration or simply admiring nature's beauty, reaction that is the opposite of what the original author wished to evoke from the reader. Anne, through her fanciful wording and innocent charisma, in the same way that she does with the timid Matthew Cuthbert, is supposed to earn the empathy of the audience. The issue wouldn't be her speeches per se, however, but rather Yamada's voice acting which doesn't fully convey the character's flowery vocabulary, as I have been told a few times before. Personally, I actually never really had any problem with her acting, but I can understand when someone feels put off by the high-pitched and a few times inconsistent tone of her voice. At the very least, Yamada's voice acting improves and flows more naturally as the anime goes by. But since you're already entranced by Anne's melodramatic nature, that won't be a problem anymore! So be prepared for many, many more lovely speeches from her.

Speaking of Matthew, I love how quietly he listens to Anne's thoughts and thoroughly enjoys her company until their arrival at Green Gables. Being an extremely timid man, he's almost incapable of transmitting his feelings through words. It is possible, however, to get a good grasp of his emotional state by observing his use of gestures and facial expressions. Protip for Takahata and his staff (especially Kondo), for thoroughly conveying Matthew's language of silence in the anime. One nice expressionistic touch by Takahata that I enjoyed, which perhaps might look outdated nowadays, would be the artistic effects used for when Anne goes through the White Way of Delight, as her imagination takes flight and she sees herself dazzling through the falling apple blossoms.
ariapalDec 18, 2012 1:43 PM
Mar 3, 2013 4:28 AM
Feb 2011
Watched this episode again because I did it on a whim.

And that Apple Orchard scene hit me like a truck. I can't stop replaying it.

Not just because it's brilliantly colorful and imaginative and just SO Anne, but because of her reaction afterwards. Her imagination carries us through the trees and into the air in a flurry of blossoms and ballgowns, and it's astonishing, but then the next two minutes or so is given over to COMPLETE SILENCE. Complete silence as Anne sits there stunned, processing what she just saw. And when Matthew speaks to her, she has to come back to reality.

This is the reason why Takahata creates art out of animation. It's not because his animations are drawn with impressive movements, or because he conceives imaginative worlds, but because of his completely obsessive attention to detail, and honesty for his characters.

And god damn, if the music in this show ain't just achingly perfect. It makes the White Way of Delight scene like a million times better.
Feb 23, 2016 4:25 PM

May 2012
One episode and I am already in love xP
Sep 28, 2016 1:58 PM

Jun 2013
Decent first episode, but oh my goodness, does Anne ever shut up?
Jun 23, 2017 8:38 AM
Nov 2015
Hey, is she the best child ever to appear on animes?
Jun 23, 2017 8:55 AM
Nov 2015
Trust the Japanese to give you quality travel postcard!

Oh, can it be my another Aria??? Episodes where seemingly nothing happens, but each one will somehow build up to one glorious sightseeing sequence.
That is one of the best sakura road I've ever seen. Old, but dreamy and ethereal because of its old-ness.
Jun 23, 2017 9:03 AM
Nov 2015
Sean_Nessman said:
Hey, is she the best child ever to appear on animes?

First, she talks of wishing to spend the night on the cherry tree.

Second, she insists on carrying her own bag, cuz the handle is easy to come out, and only she knows the trick

Third, she asks why the road is red, and when not answered, says it's one more thing to try to find out about.

Fourth, she asks Matthew if she is talking too much. She says pp often say children should only be seen and not heard. She insists that if she has big ideas, she should be allowed to use big words to describe them, and pp shouldn't laugh it off.

Fifth, she thinks of the lonely tree at her old orphanage as an orphan itself, and is sad that she has to say goodbye to it.

Sixth, she is so lost in thought after witnessing the cherry road that she doesn't say a word for a long while.

She is too smart. I'm envious.
Dec 1, 2017 10:47 PM

Dec 2012
Wowza. Anne certainly....goes at her own pace. That's for sure. I'm actually finding it somewhat comical but also innocently inspiring. She has this stoic face that just lights up as soon as she starts to talk about all of the thoughts and fantasies she has. Couple that with Mr. Cuthbert's eccentricity and I certainly feel like this is going to be an oddity of sorts.
May 21, 2018 7:42 PM

Dec 2017
I've never watched it before, but somehow it gave me a nostalgic feeling; not to mention that it's extremely comfy to watch.
Jan 15, 2019 8:41 AM

Sep 2008
Antonio-san said:
I've never watched it before, but somehow it gave me a nostalgic feeling; not to mention that it's extremely comfy to watch.

One of the reasons i really enjoy watching Anne. It's just so feelgood and nostalgic.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 6, 2019 9:13 PM

Feb 2014
I don't mind Anne prattling on endlessly (in fact I like her melodramatic ramblings), but I just can't stand her shrill voice. It's like nails on chalk board. Not to mention, that annoying voice just doesn't go with that face. I'm not asking for her to sound like a typical squeaky anime girl, but is that the best they could have done with casting (even back then)? She just doesn't sound her age, and instead like some 40 year old woman failing miserably to imitate the voice of a 12 year old girl. It constantly breaks my immersion. This is my 3rd attempt at finishing this show. Hopefully this time I can tolerate her voice for more than 22 episodes.
Jun 15, 2019 4:51 PM

Aug 2015
Vhailor said:
I don't mind Anne prattling on endlessly (in fact I like her melodramatic ramblings), but I just can't stand her shrill voice. It's like nails on chalk board. Not to mention, that annoying voice just doesn't go with that face. I'm not asking for her to sound like a typical squeaky anime girl, but is that the best they could have done with casting (even back then)? She just doesn't sound her age, and instead like some 40 year old woman failing miserably to imitate the voice of a 12 year old girl. It constantly breaks my immersion. This is my 3rd attempt at finishing this show. Hopefully this time I can tolerate her voice for more than 22 episodes.

maybe try to watch it in English?
I'm watching this in Hebrew and I love her voice.
Jun 18, 2019 10:14 AM

Feb 2014
rahamim said:
Vhailor said:

maybe try to watch it in English?
I'm watching this in Hebrew and I love her voice.

I really wanted to watch the dub, because the English voice actress of Anne sounds a lot better, (not to mention, tolerable), but like most English dubs, they rush almost every single line (to mach the lip flaps), so it was ruining the experience.
Jun 28, 2019 1:43 PM

Sep 2017
This girl Anne talks a lot, but I'll be damned if she's not endearing.

Loved this scene!

Btw, I'm now referring to myself as the "White Way of Delight." XD.......Oh Takahata, you brilliant bastard!
Aug 14, 2019 4:00 AM
Aug 2018
In the first few minutes Anne was quiet, didn't speak much and was rather expressionless.

And then comes Matthew. And Anne starts talking and talking. Like a waterfall. Phew, she sure does like to talk a lot.

I hope this will tone down a bit because listening to her monologue is quiet tiring and annoying.
Apr 18, 2020 6:45 AM

Feb 2020
I love this kind of atmosphere in shows like this ! It's just so relaxing. I already love Cuthbert's character. Given how different he is from his sister, I have a feeling this show will partially revolve around the friendship he's going to share with Anne, while his sister will be the "big baddy". I could totally be wrong regarding the latter though, I might judge her too quickly. But I really don't trust her.
Anne is quite a particular child ! Her personality itself doesn't bother me, she can be a little bit annoying but at the same time she's pretty undearing (she reminds me so much of my cousin, it's bringing back memories), however I have a really hard time with her voice. I feel like it just doesn't fit her and there' not enough nuances in her tone, she is always half-screaming in a high-pitched tone which is very irritating, I hope it'll grow on me because other than that, pretty much everything makes me want to watch the next episode.
Oct 26, 2020 2:50 PM
Oct 2018
I don't get why this show is so widely respected/considered "a classic". Maybe it will pick up (but I'm 13 eps in, so far, and no sign of that), but so far it's dull as hell, nothing happens, full of bland characters, and endless, way-too-wordy dialogue, pointlessly flowery language, and needlessly-spoken exposition.

I can see the visual appeal; It's nice-looking in a retro, 70s/80s way- Like a shoju version of Sherlock Hound, but THINGS HAPPENED in Sherlock Hound, and it actually had action and humour.

Usually I love this era of anime, but so far, this show is just boring and disappointing. I can only assume the score/rep is some elitist thing, because liking old shoju, and shows no-one has seen is cool, and because Miyazake's name is buried somewhere on the 'staff' page for the show.
Nov 12, 2020 5:26 PM
May 2016
Apollo18 said:
I don't get why this show is so widely respected/considered "a classic". Maybe it will pick up (but I'm 13 eps in, so far, and no sign of that), but so far it's dull as hell, nothing happens, full of bland characters, and endless, way-too-wordy dialogue, pointlessly flowery language, and needlessly-spoken exposition.

I can see the visual appeal; It's nice-looking in a retro, 70s/80s way- Like a shoju version of Sherlock Hound, but THINGS HAPPENED in Sherlock Hound, and it actually had action and humour.

Usually I love this era of anime, but so far, this show is just boring and disappointing. I can only assume the score/rep is some elitist thing, because liking old shoju, and shows no-one has seen is cool, and because Miyazake's name is buried somewhere on the 'staff' page for the show.

This anime is just not for you. About the anime score, it should be at least 9, 7 very low
Nov 15, 2020 5:53 AM
Oct 2018
amarcioz said:
Apollo18 said:

This anime is just not for you. About the anime score, it should be at least 9, 7 very low

I gave it a 5.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
-DxP-Aug 2, 2022 10:25 AM
Feb 22, 2021 9:52 PM

Nov 2011
So Iyashikei has already existed in 70s.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Dec 16, 2021 1:41 AM

Aug 2020
Let us see how this goes. The story of Anne begins.

I can see myself not enjoying this, either because it's not my type of show or am not in the mood for it. But will try couple more episodes.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 9, 2022 5:46 PM
Jun 2021
i love you anne of green gables, i love you
Nov 10, 2022 12:48 PM
Aug 2019
this anime sucks. pls get a life weeb
Nov 21, 2023 8:46 PM

Jun 2020
Been wanting to see a slice of life that takes its time to let the characters mature. I’m enjoying the scenic nature of it although I can see how this can possibly get boring

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 16 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 24, 2012

13 by RedSwordHeart »»
Dec 21, 2023 3:57 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 21, 2012

5 by Dumb »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:13 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jan 21, 2012

8 by Dumb »»
Nov 22, 2023 1:31 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 47 Discussion

stand - Sep 2, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Sep 26, 2023 3:31 PM

» Is anime better than the netflix live action or both of them are good

removed-user - Aug 14, 2023

2 by VilexRoss »»
Aug 14, 2023 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.